Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Two of the latest EP2014 polls have just 4% separating top

Comments

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    The people the political class are using to wage economic warfare on the public tend to come from dirt-poor countries hence Romanians > Germans.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    isam said:

Romanians are generally the same race as Farage

Are we sure? When I see Farage being interviewed, with his weird noggin-jutting and bared teeth, his style does somewhat resemble being head-butted by a piranha....
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,486
    AveryLP said:

Legal advice sought.

Labour, Conservative and Liberal Democrat politicians have committed Britain to “slavery inside the EU dictatorship” and should be punished by death, Gordon Ferguson [UKIP candiate for the Cambridge ward of Southport, Lancashire] told prospective voters in a letter delivered ahead of Thursday's council elections.

Anybody who votes for those parties is “guilty by association of treason against our nation”, he added.

Mr Ferguson wrote: “The Lib-Lab-Cons have conspired with a foreign power, the EU, and are all thereby guilty of treason. They have sold Britain, which is the fifth largest economy, illegally into increasing slavery inside the EU dictatorship. Those responsible should be hung by the neck until dead.”

He went on: “As likely as not, however, they will never be brought to account because our senior police, Crown Prosecution Service and judges are almost all exclusively freemasons, and Britain’s courts have been utterly corrupt for many years. They are almost all in the pocket of the EU.

Mr Ferguson ... added: “If you vote for any of the three Lib- Lab- Con- parties you will be aiding and abetting them and you will also be guilty by association of treason against our nation. No-one should knowingly support a corrupt organisation.”

Is M'Lud available? Is this your understanding of applicable law in the jurisdiction of England & Wales.

I am worried that if I vote Conservative on Thursday I may be "hanged by the neck until dead".

Source and full article: http://bit.ly/1geSMmZ

Not a legal point but someone should educate this clown that washing is hung, people are hanged.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672

When I see a blackman being interviewed, with his weird noggin-jutting and bared teeth, his style does somewhat resemble being head-butted by a piranha....

Are we sure?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,679
    edited May 2014
    kle4 said:

taffys said:

ave you watched the video? He didn't admit he was wrong

Farage does look like he needs a break. Perhaps the way he has run UKIP to date is counting against him?

The fans of Doctor Who will understand this

"Don't you think he looks tired?"
    Ugh, don't remind me. One of the more dickish, silly things the new Doctor did (in fairness I haven't seen the last few series), that particular moment.
    The thing about that is, later on, Harriet Jones never blamed him, and still worked to help The Doctor, even though it cost her life.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,037

isam said:

isam said:

Given that Romanians make up 0.002% of the population, is it necessarily a positive that they make up 0.6% of the prison population?

Facts? Let's see. 0.002% of 63,705,000 is 1274. Are there really only 1274 Romanians in the UK? What's all the fuss about then?

Maths?

It's 87,000 ( I rounded it up to 0.002 from 0.0013)
    I make Woodpecker's maths correct 1 percent of 63 million would be 630,000 so .1% would be 63,000, .01% would be 6,300 and .002% percent would be 1260.
    ... also you don't round .0013 up to .002 you round it down to .001.

Maths Indeed!
    Hungover!

There were 87,000 Romanians in Britain in 2011 and 63m people all told

Isn't that .0013?

Anyway it's not 0.6 and that is the percentage of Romanians of the prison population according to Avery

Nothing against Romanians personally, I have only met 3 and they were very nice
  • Options

isam said:

Romanians are generally the same race as Farage

Are we sure? When I see Farage being interviewed, with his weird noggin-jutting and bared teeth, his style does somewhat resemble being head-butted by a piranha....
    Having watched the films Piranha 3D, and Piranha 3DD......No it's not the lagershed yet.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,495
    .002 = .2%
    .002% = .002%

nothing to do with maths...just notation...how wars start...
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Not a legal point but someone should educate this clown that washing is hung, people are hanged.

A legal point - someone should educate that clown that hanging remained available until 1998 when, under a House of Lords amendment to the Crime and Disorder Act 1998, proposed by Lord Archer of Sandwell, the death penalty was abolished for treason and piracy with violence, replacing it with a discretionary maximum sentence of life imprisonment. These were the last civilian offences punishable by death.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,195
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Given that Romanians make up 0.002% of the population, is it necessarily a positive that they make up 0.6% of the prison population?

Facts? Let's see. 0.002% of 63,705,000 is 1274. Are there really only 1274 Romanians in the UK? What's all the fuss about then?

Maths?

I make Woodpecker's maths correct 1 percent of 63 million would be 630,000 so .1% would be 63,000, .01% would be 6,300 and .002% percent would be 1260.

Maths Indeed!
    Hungover!

Isn't that .0013?

Anyway it's not 0.6 and that is the percentage of Romanians of the prison population according to Avery

And it is worth remembering the demographics of the people here: i.e. there are very unlikely to be many over 65s (who commit few crimes), or under 14s (likewise). There is likely a preponderance of men (more likely criminals too).

Presumably there are going to be a few dual citizenship Romanians/Brits in there (a friend of mine is married to one - and has been for about 20 years), and our counting of them in the Romanian line only slightly skews the figures too.

Finally, does this include people on remand? If it does, it also slightly skews the figures. A court will be far less likely to grant bail to someone who might flee back to their home country. We should only use convicted people in our stats, or we're skewing them.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Maths?

Maths Indeed!
    Hungover!

Isn't that .0013?

Oh and I used 58m as it was Eng and Wales not the UK

so 87000/58000000

isnt that 0.002?

Ok its 0.2% I get it!!

So Roms in Eng and Wales 0.2%
    Roms as a % of Prison Population 0.6%

So over represented by a factor of 3, apologies for my bad maths earlier!

Arsenal won the cup, I got drunk and lucky last night. So thats my excuse!

• Options
    Looking at the YouGov leader ratings, there's an Ed is crap thread waiting to be written.

Changes since last week.

Cameron minus 7 (+5)

Miliband minus 42 (-10)
  • Options
    I have to admit to really admiring the way that Labour Uncut takes a chainsaw to bullshit, wherever it sees it:

"For all the fanboy gushing in Labour circles at the coup of hiring Axelrod (although given Axelrod’s core business is as a consultant for hire, Uncut wonders whether it’s quite such an achievement; will the party next be trumpeting how Ed Miliband went to Kwik Fit and successfully secured the services of a mechanic?) the motivation for handing over six figures to David Axelrod seems to have less to do with his counsel and more with the divisions at the top of the party."

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2014/05/16/david-axelrod-is-douglas-alexanders-sock-puppet-consultant/
  • Options

ToryJim said:

A legal point - someone should educate that clown that hanging remained available until 1998 when, under a House of Lords amendment to the Crime and Disorder Act 1998, proposed by Lord Archer of Sandwell, the death penalty was abolished for treason and piracy with violence, replacing it with a discretionary maximum sentence of life imprisonment. These were the last civilian offences punishable by death.
    Oh but you don't expect nasty things like the facts to interrupt a glorious tin-foil hat rant including veiled references to the vast conspiracy of the illuminati or global freemasonry
  • Options

Looking at the YouGov leader ratings, there's an Ed is crap thread waiting to be written.

Changes since last week.

Cameron minus 7 (+5)

Miliband minus 42 (-10)

Ed getting crapper. And they said it couldn't happen.

But that was before the PEB. And HIGNFY giving him a mighty kicking....
  • Options
    So given Farage's logic. I've had a tiring weekend, I went to bed at 5.30am this morning and was back up at 10am.

I drove back to Manchester and was confronted by the Manchester marathon (it was like the first twenty minutes of Saving Private Ryan)

So by this evening/tomorrow morning I should be acting like a bigot?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ToryJim said:

AveryLP said:

Legal advice sought.

Labour, Conservative and Liberal Democrat politicians have committed Britain to “slavery inside the EU dictatorship” and should be punished by death, Gordon Ferguson [UKIP candiate for the Cambridge ward of Southport, Lancashire] told prospective voters in a letter delivered ahead of Thursday's council elections.

Anybody who votes for those parties is “guilty by association of treason against our nation”, he added.

Mr Ferguson wrote: “The Lib-Lab-Cons have conspired with a foreign power, the EU, and are all thereby guilty of treason. They have sold Britain, which is the fifth largest economy, illegally into increasing slavery inside the EU dictatorship. Those responsible should be hung by the neck until dead.”

He went on: “As likely as not, however, they will never be brought to account because our senior police, Crown Prosecution Service and judges are almost all exclusively freemasons, and Britain’s courts have been utterly corrupt for many years. They are almost all in the pocket of the EU.

Mr Ferguson ... added: “If you vote for any of the three Lib- Lab- Con- parties you will be aiding and abetting them and you will also be guilty by association of treason against our nation. No-one should knowingly support a corrupt organisation.”

Is M'Lud available? Is this your understanding of applicable law in the jurisdiction of England & Wales.

I am worried that if I vote Conservative on Thursday I may be "hanged by the neck until dead".

Source and full article: http://bit.ly/1geSMmZ

Is he a loony or a fruitcake?
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited May 2014
    "Isn't that 0.15"

Out by a factor of 115x
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

So given Farage's logic. I've had a tiring weekend, I went to bed at 5.30am this morning and was back up at 10am.

I drove back to Manchester and was confronted by the Manchester marathon (it was like the first twenty minutes of Saving Private Ryan)

You mean old people looking at gravestones? That happens a lot in Manchester...
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Oh but you don't expect nasty things like the facts to interrupt a glorious tin-foil hat rant including veiled references to the vast conspiracy of the illuminati or global freemasonry

I suspect this provision is what really pisses him off:

"On 20 May 1998 the House of Commons voted to ratify the 6th Protocol of the European Convention on Human Rights prohibiting capital punishment except "in time of war or imminent threat of war." The last remaining provisions for the death penalty under military jurisdiction (including in wartime) were removed when section 21(5) of the Human Rights Act 1998 came into force on 9 November 1998. On 10 October 2003, effective from 1 February 2004, the UK acceded to the 13th Protocol, which prohibits the death penalty under all circumstances."

Can't even dish out capital punishment to Romanians, thanks to them pesky Europeans. The country's gone to the dogs I tell you....we should have control over killing whoever we like....
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Maths?

Maths Indeed!
    Hungover!

Isn't that .0013?

so 87000/58000000

isnt that 0.002?

Ok its 0.2% I get it!!

Jesus even thats wrong! Its 0.15% and a factor of 4
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672

Changes since last week.

Cameron minus 7 (+5)

Miliband minus 42 (-10)

If 22nd is poor for Lab and Mili gets the blame, he can damage Dave's USP, and confront ULIP in one press statement.

Referendum (before 2017) .

Looking more likely by the day..
  • Options
    LogicalSongLogicalSong Posts: 120
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Maths?

Maths Indeed!
    Hungover!

Isn't that .0013?

so 87000/58000000

isnt that 0.002?

Ok its 0.2% I get it!!

Never mind Nigel's statistics are even worse than yours!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

kle4 said:

taffys said:

Farage does look like he needs a break. Perhaps the way he has run UKIP to date is counting against him?

Ugh, don't remind me. One of the more dickish, silly things the new Doctor did (in fairness I haven't seen the last few series), that particular moment.
    The thing about that is, later on, Harriet Jones never blamed him, and still worked to help The Doctor, even though it cost her life.
    That was very big of her, but to my mind hardly makes up for that the Doctor had said Harriet Jones would lead Britain in a Golden Age in her first appearence, and then made sure that didn't happen because she took the personally reasonable stance that she could hardly trust the word of aliens who had terrorized the planet just going away and keeping a promise to do so, when the leader of those aliens had just proven they were perfectly capable of going against their word by, if memory serves, attempting to kill the Doctor after supposedly surrendering.

He ruined her political career and the apparent good he said she would bring to the nation (thankfully she had more to give in other capacities) because she dared to act in a perfectly reasonable way which he did not like, and the worst thing is it seems like we were supposed to agree with him.

Oh fictional stories, how do you make me so angry sometimes?

Changes since last week.

Cameron minus 7 (+5)

Miliband minus 42 (-10)

He's still ok, as far as these things go. I have to admit I'm surprised he has suddenly found himself under mroe concerted pressure recently.

• Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

What is the tin foil hat reference people keep using? I have no idea what it means
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,195
    isam said:

so 87000/58000000

isnt that 0.002?

Ok its 0.2% I get it!!

If all the Romanians who came to the UK were men (which they're not, obviously, although they are likely to be over-represented) then they would be 0.4% of the male population and 0.6% of the prison population (as practically all prisoners are men).

Adjusting for demographics (that the immigrants are mostly young), and Romanians on remand, then you might find them under-represented.

However: for various reasons I can't be bothered to go into, this would be shit analysis also.

Basically: we'd all agree that if he'd said "If a black man moved in next door, you'd have a right to be worried" would be a stupid thing to say.
  • Options
    isam said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

What is the tin foil hat reference people keep using? I have no idea what it means
    No idea of the provenance of it, but certainly in american pop culture it is visual shorthand for a type of crazy person, often homeless and/or schizophrenic, hearing voices or seeing conspiracies everywhere, or to block out alien signals etc etc.

Tin foil hat wearer = crazy person, probably paranoid crazy.

• Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Maths?

Maths Indeed!
    Hungover!

Isn't that .0013?

so 87000/58000000

isnt that 0.002?

Ok its 0.2% I get it!!

Shameful stuff!

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Maths?

Maths Indeed!
    Hungover!

Isn't that .0013?

so 87000/58000000

isnt that 0.002?

Ok its 0.2% I get it!!

And labour can beat all of them on immigration stats,how many did they say would come from the new Eastern European states,13 thousand was it .
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

taffys said:

That was very big of her, but to my mind hardly makes up for that the Doctor had said Harriet Jones would lead Britain in a Golden Age in her first appearence, and then made sure that didn't happen because she took the personally reasonable stance that she could hardly trust the word of aliens who had terrorized the planet just going away and keeping a promise to do so, when the leader of those aliens had just proven they were perfectly capable of going against their word by, if memory serves, attempting to kill the Doctor after supposedly surrendering.

He ruined her political career and the apparent good he said she would bring to the nation (thankfully she had more to give in other capacities) because she dared to act in a perfectly reasonable way which he did not like, and the worst thing is it seems like we were supposed to agree with him.

Oh fictional stories, how do you make me so angry sometimes?

Changes since last week.

Cameron minus 7 (+5)

Miliband minus 42 (-10)

He's still ok, as far as these things go. I have to admit I'm surprised he has suddenly found himself under mroe concerted pressure recently.

I'm still angry and cursing about the last two episodes of The Good Wife.
  • Options
    isam said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

A tin foil hat is a hat made from one or more sheets of aluminium foil, or a piece of conventional headgear lined with foil, worn in the belief it shields the brain from threats such as electromagnetic fields, mind control, and mind reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_foil_hat

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Maths?

Maths Indeed!
    Hungover!

Isn't that .0013?

so 87000/58000000

isnt that 0.002?

Ok its 0.2% I get it!!

If that factor (prison percentage to general population percentage) were higher amongst, say, the black population of the country, does that mean it's acceptable to be worried about black people moving next door? Or is that kind of prejudice only allowed when it's new EU countries' citizens involved?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

so 87000/58000000

isnt that 0.002?

Ok its 0.2% I get it!!

If all the Romanians who came to the UK were men (which they're not, obviously, although they are likely to be over-represented) then they would be 0.4% of the male population and 0.6% of the prison population (as practically all prisoners are men).

Adjusting for demographics (that the immigrants are mostly young), and Romanians on remand, then you might find them under-represented.

However: for various reasons I can't be bothered to go into, this would be shit analysis also.

Basically: we'd all agree that if he'd said "If a black man moved in next door, you'd have a right to be worried" would be a stupid thing to say.
    Re the black thing, yes it would be stupid, but Im afraid a hell of a lot of people still hold that kind of opinion

But Farage didnt say "a Romanian man..." he said "A group of Romanian men". There are lots of examples of groups of Romanian men being involved in crime, particularly in London so what he said was fair enough IMO, and plenty of people outside of UKIP haters on here and in the media would agree with him.

My oldest friend yesterday said that he thought Farage was a a toad, and that he banged on about immigration too much.. but is still voting UKIP.. bit weird

I also spoke to a girl yesterday that used to be PA to Guy Farage (Nigels Dad) and she had a couple of interesting stories about Nigel that the press would probably like! Couldnt possibly tell though!
  • Options
    isam said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Certain conspiracy theorists believe the US government has a program that involves reading peoples brainwaves. They further believe that wearing a tinfoil hat blocks this reading of brainwaves.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    "The notion of wearing homemade headgear for protection has become a popular stereotype and byword for paranoia, persecutory delusions, and belief in conspiracy theories. Tin foil hats have appeared in movies such as Signs and Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder."
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Maths?

Maths Indeed!
    Hungover!

Isn't that .0013?

so 87000/58000000

isnt that 0.002?

Ok its 0.2% I get it!!

If that factor (prison percentage to general population percentage) were higher amongst, say, the black population of the country, does that mean it's acceptable to be worried about black people moving next door? Or is that kind of prejudice only allowed when it's new EU countries' citizens involved?
    Big difference.

Romanians are not British citizens.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Grandiose said:

"The notion of wearing homemade headgear for protection has become a popular stereotype and byword for paranoia, persecutory delusions, and belief in conspiracy theories. Tin foil hats have appeared in movies such as Signs and Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder."

Currently much in fashion.

See: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnoMO_9IQAEkYhB.jpg:large
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @bbcnickrobinson: Farage - I was wrong about Romanians 'I was completely tired out. I didn’t use form of words I'd have liked to’. I interview him in morning

Which part of "I was wrong" are the Kippers still struggling with?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Maths?

Maths Indeed!
    Hungover!

Isn't that .0013?

so 87000/58000000

isnt that 0.002?

Ok its 0.2% I get it!!

The crucial point was he said " a group of Romanian men" not "a Romanian family", or "a Romanian man".

It is higher among the black population and some people do worry about it.. rightly or wrongly. Its not for me to say whether its acceptable or not, and it doesnt really matter whether it is.

It s a difficult one to consider I think... if the stats show it to be so, why is it unacceptable to worry? It would be the same if I were Black or Romanian, and the stats said White British people were over represented in Prison population, would it be unnacceptable to prefer others as neighbours over White Brits if you had the choice? Particularly if it were 4 white British men rather than a family with kids.

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Ninoinoz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Maths?

Maths Indeed!
    Hungover!

Isn't that .0013?

so 87000/58000000

isnt that 0.002?

Ok its 0.2% I get it!!

Big difference.

So prejudice against potential criminals of foreign nationality is quite ok, but if they have a British passport it's very wrong?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Scott_P said:

@bbcnickrobinson: Farage - I was wrong about Romanians 'I was completely tired out. I didn’t use form of words I'd have liked to’. I interview him in morning

Why isnt "I was wrong" in quotations there Scott?

Is it because he didnt say it?

Have you watched this? Or just read other people comments?

I actually think Farages comments here are more anti Romanian than the original interview, he says they come to London for "rich pickings"

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-05-17/farage-defends-fair-minded-romania-comments/
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Scott_P said:

The point is houses like this are much more likely to be full of Romanians than Germans because Romania is a lot poorer than Germany.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2014/01/14/romanians-in-hard-times-on-benefits-street/

It's easy for someone who's a bit frazzled to mangle saying that but it doesn't change the basic fact.
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

Why isnt "I was wrong" in quotations there Scott?

Is it because he didnt say it?

Have you watched this? Or just read other people comments?

I actually think Farages comments here are more anti Romanian than the original interview

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-05-17/farage-defends-fair-minded-romania-comments/
    Good spot.
  • Options

Ninoinoz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Maths?

Maths Indeed!
    Hungover!

Isn't that .0013?

so 87000/58000000

isnt that 0.002?

Ok its 0.2% I get it!!

Big difference.

So prejudice against potential criminals of foreign nationality is quite ok, but if they have a British passport it's very wrong?
    British criminals are our problem.

No need to import more.
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408
    If it's racist to make a generalisation regarding Romanians and crime then is it racist to say that the Poles have a good work ethic? Strictly speaking, I suppose it probably is, but what a sad world that would be. Thank God for common sense hey?

Also, following this new logic introduced by the politicians and press I suppose it now racist to advise someone not use a Nigerian financial adviser? Bit unhappy about that but I'll just have to bite my lip the next time they phone my mum up.

And I guess it must also be racist to consider the OECD corruption index when dealing with an individual of any of the countries that the OECD ranks, for better or for worse? Because if you did take the rankings into account you would be projecting the national characteristic upon the individual. Which begs the question, is the OECD racist in producing it in the first place?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TyronWilson: Love this. Percentage of prisoners that are Romanian vs percentage of UKIP MEPs that were imprisoned after. http://t.co/vwiJdyuYsw
  • Options
    Blueberry said:

If it's racist to make a generalisation regarding Romanians and crime then is it racist to say that the Poles have a good work ethic? Strictly speaking, I suppose it probably is, but what a sad world that would be. Thank God for common sense hey?

Also, following this new logic introduced by the politicians and press I suppose it now racist to advise someone not use a Nigerian financial adviser? Bit unhappy about that but I'll just have to bite my lip the next time they phone my mum up.

And I guess it must also be racist to consider the OECD corruption index when dealing with an individual of any of the countries that the OECD ranks, for better or for worse? Because if you did take the rankings into account you would be projecting the national characteristic upon the individual. Which begs the question, is the OECD racist in producing it in the first place?

Basically, hatred of UKIP has turned a lot of Torys into PC loving leftys
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@TyronWilson: Love this. Percentage of prisoners that are Romanian vs percentage of UKIP MEPs that were imprisoned after. http://t.co/vwiJdyuYsw

50p in the meter Scotty, that was on here 3 hours ago
  • Options
    State Control ‏@State_Control 35m

I'm voting #UKIP because... pic.twitter.com/ML3jo8JUuu
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Tinfoil does seem to have considerable power with people with paranoid schizophrenia.

Persecutary delusions often take the form of alien thoughts being transmitted into the patients brain, often in the form of radio waves. As well as tinfoil hats it is not uncommon for Schizophrenic patients to line their rooms with tinfoil, to keep out these waves. Perhaps this is seen as a form of Faraday cage.

http://www.camh.ca/en/hospital/health_information/a_z_mental_health_and_addiction_information/schizophrenia/schizophrenia_information_guide/Pages/schizophrenia_whatis.aspx

It often remits with antipsychotic treatment, and I have known similar delusional states in cannabis psychosis.

AveryLP said:

Grandiose said:

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Anyone wishing to stay in a property next to Romanians could do no worse than booking one of the Prince of Wales's holiday cottages in Transylvania.

Here is his property in Zalánpatak, a former Judge's house:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg9Uh2-qhY0

And in Viscri:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRsmKIq9KDo

Bookable by the public on http://www.transylvaniancastle.com/viscri.html and elsewhere.

Those interested in staying here should plan to stay in the summer months. The guide warns: "Wolves can be heard howling at times in winter nights."
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    isam said:

Blueberry said:

It's volte-face city out there. I think a lot of the press have lost a lot credibility. Which is a shame really because they rely on older people (who are sympathetic to UKIP) to buy their papers. People will remember.
  • Options
    I wonder if this will get the coverage in the national media .

Archbishop Cranmer @His_Grace

Conservative candidate denigrates the Holocaust and calls for bloody revolution and political hangings http://bit.ly/1lzsBVM

http://archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/are-islamists-infiltrating-conservatives.html
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    isam said:

Yes, it's quite sad I think.
  • Options
    Blueberry said:

isam said:

Blueberry said:

It's volte-face city out there. I think a lot of the press have lost a lot credibility. Which is a shame really because they rely on older people (who are sympathetic to UKIP) to buy their papers. People will remember.
    I am struck by the similarities between this EP campaign and the Papal Visit 2010.

The latter resulted in my ceasing to buy The Guardian (switched to The Telegraph) and started buying The Catholic Herald, such was the level of distortion and unfairness in the reporting.

The BBC, though I didn't know it at the time, was to be shown to be one of the biggest hypocrites ever.
  • Options
    Leicesters best manager since MON (pbuh) combines many of the PB pleasures into his holidays: trains, hill walking and fighting off Romanian canines:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/leicester-city/10610721/Leicester-City-manager-Nigel-Pearson-happy-to-keep-away-from-the-pack-at-top-of-the-Championship.html

Perhaps other Nigel's may want to adopt his uncompromising approach...
    AveryLP said:

Anyone wishing to stay in a property next to Romanians could do no worse than booking one of the Prince of Wales's holiday cottages in Transylvania.

Here is his property in Zalánpatak, a former Judge's house:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg9Uh2-qhY0

And in Viscri:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRsmKIq9KDo

Bookable by the public on http://www.transylvaniancastle.com/viscri.html and elsewhere.

Those interested in staying here should plan to stay in the summer months. The guide warns: "Wolves can be heard howling at times in winter nights."

• Options
    edited May 2014
    LabourList ‏@LabourList · 1 min
    Miliband says Labour will raise minimum wage "significantly" by linking it to average earnings http://labli.st/1jsVIND

Nick Sutton ✔ @suttonnick

Monday's Guardian front page - "Labour: we will link minimum pay to earnings" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/CTnMftUi3W

• Options
    MaxPB said:

isam said:

Indeed, a lot of my enemy enemies is my friend etc

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    Scott_P said:

probably the bit where Cameron didn't say it when he called them fruitcakes or when he welched on the referendum.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,059
    Came across this poor chap's story some time ago when looking for something else. No radio in those days but magnetism was tres trendy in the 18th century. No idea whether he used tinfoil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Tilly_Matthews

Tinfoil does seem to have considerable power with people with paranoid schizophrenia.

Persecutary delusions often take the form of alien thoughts being transmitted into the patients brain, often in the form of radio waves. As well as tinfoil hats it is not uncommon for Schizophrenic patients to line their rooms with tinfoil, to keep out these waves. Perhaps this is seen as a form of Faraday cage.

http://www.camh.ca/en/hospital/health_information/a_z_mental_health_and_addiction_information/schizophrenia/schizophrenia_information_guide/Pages/schizophrenia_whatis.aspx

It often remits with antipsychotic treatment, and I have known similar delusional states in cannabis psychosis.

AveryLP said:

Grandiose said:

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Two questions - completely unrelated...

1) Mark Cavendish won the first and last stages of the Amgen Tour of California (both by less than a tire width), and Bradley Wiggins won the overall race. What is the situation with him and Chris Frome going into the Tour de France? Presumably Wiggins would ride in support of the current champion?

2) I keep reading of the YES cmpaign and the NO campaign in the Scottish independence vote. Is YES a vote to secede, or to stay in the UK?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Could someone tell me the difference between "civic" and "public" please?
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options

Miliband says Labour will raise minimum wage "significantly" by linking it to average earnings http://labli.st/1jsVIND

Monday's Guardian front page - "Labour: we will link minimum pay to earnings" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/CTnMftUi3W

Another popular declaration from Labour. I think they'll do just enough to win a majority.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Blueberry said:

isam said:

Blueberry said:

UKIP are making the same arguments about immigration that the Conservatives made in 2005. The Conservatives just don't like having their clothes stolen.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Blueberry said:

isam said:

Blueberry said:

I am struck by the similarities between this EP campaign and the Papal Visit 2010.

The latter resulted in my ceasing to buy The Guardian (switched to The Telegraph) and started buying The Catholic Herald, such was the level of distortion and unfairness in the reporting.

The BBC, though I didn't know it at the time, was to be shown to be one of the biggest hypocrites ever.
    It would be fascinating to know what deals have been struck between the parties' press offices and the papers. This from Private Eye was interesting: pic.twitter.com/Xx5aj5whF8

I don't have a problem with private newspapers favouring one party or another, but the total U turn the Sun, Mail etc have made re the Romanian comments is remarkable. I guess they know what they're doing but there comes a point a) they lose credibility even with the most forgetful reader, and b) they're insulting the party that their readers are voting for. All remains to be seen.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Smarmeron said:

Thanks in advance.

Simply put. 'Civic' relates to a city or town, especially its administration, whereas 'Public' concerns ‘the people’ as a whole.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,059
    Tim_B said:

1) Mark Cavendish won the first and last stages of the Amgen Tour of California (both by less than a tire width), and Bradley Wiggins won the overall race. What is the situation with him and Chris Frome going into the Tour de France? Presumably Wiggins would ride in support of the current champion?

2) I keep reading of the YES cmpaign and the NO campaign in the Scottish independence vote. Is YES a vote to secede, or to stay in the UK?

Yes = yes to independence. And it's not, strictly, secession but dissolution of the UK (of the union treaty, or the modern equivalent). The point is an important one for a number of reasons. One is the prior existence of Scotland as an independent state and continuing as an autonomous one in many aspects de jure and de facto, so the word 'secession' (perfectly correct in the War Between the States US context) is normally frowned on, unless one is trolling. The other reason is the issue of whether the UK carries on as before and Scotland is a state de novo, or both are continuing states, which has much to do with such things as assets, state apparatus, debts and the NPT for instance. Not the place to go into those (much aired on PB before) though: if you are interested newsnetscotland.com and wingsoverscotland.com have 'elementary introduction' sections which will give you some balance from the overwhelmingly Unionist media.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Smarmeron said:

Thanks in advance.

The basis of civic is from The Roman era was to do with a garland of oak leaves and acorns give to someone for saying another citizen's life.

As I'm tired, you'd be best googling "corona civica"
  • Options
    Thanks Simon, it was in reference to the difference between civic ownership, and public ownership.
  • Options
    Thanks TSE not helpful in this particular case, but it was a masterclass in "lawyer speak". ;-)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Carnyx said:

Tim_B said:

Yes = yes to independence. And it's not, strictly, secession but dissolution of the UK (of the union treaty, or the modern equivalent). The point is an important one for a number of reasons. One is the prior existence of Scotland as an independent state and continuing as an autonomous one in many aspects de jure and de facto, so the word 'secession' (perfectly correct in the War Between the States US context) is normally frowned on, unless one is trolling. The other reason is the issue of whether the UK carries on as before and Scotland is a state de novo, or both are continuing states, which has much to do with such things as assets, state apparatus, debts and the NPT for instance. Not the place to go into those (much aired on PB before) though: if you are interested newsnetscotland.com and wingsoverscotland.com have 'elementary introduction' sections which will give you some balance from the overwhelmingly Unionist media.

It will be strictly secession. A dissolution of the Act of Union would leave northern Ireland's status in the air. This is neither controversial or interesting, save as a way of spotting the more braindead Scottish nationalists.
  • Options

I'm still angry and cursing about the last two episodes of The Good Wife.

You're cursing? The Good Lady Wife was told about this weeks ago by a Hollywood agent - saying a certain person was now looking for work again.... As a great fan of the series, she was seriously pissed! To her credit, she didn't tell me...until the day before!
  • Options
    Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE · 1 min
    Miliband promises to lift minwage but doesn't say by how much, making it a less useful promise (it rises every year). http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8bf4a8e8

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    kle4 said:

Another popular declaration from Labour. I think they'll do just enough to win a majority.
    Easy for the Tories to combat, the minimum wage would be lower today with this policy as it rose faster than wages over the past few years.
  • Options
    Interesting to see he wound up in the asylum of Dr Fox, who thought him sane, but seems to have kept him anyway!

One of the more interesting early literature on paranoid delusions is Dostoyevsky's novella "the Double", recently made into an excellent but disturbing film by Richard Ayonde.

I think the description of paranoia, depersonalization and derealization is very compelling, but is probably because of Dostoevsky's temporal lobe epilepsy, which can give very similar mental states to schizophrenia. Dostoyevsky was ahead of his time in other ways describing compulsive gambling in " the Gambler" and the nihilism of political revolutionaries in "the Devils". A remarkable insight for his period, and still relavent on PB today.
    Carnyx said:

Came across this poor chap's story some time ago when looking for something else. No radio in those days but magnetism was tres trendy in the 18th century. No idea whether he used tinfoil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Tilly_Matthews

AveryLP said:

Grandiose said:

• Options
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton · 1 min
    But Miliband's "precise ambition" on minimum wage won't be set out until closer to the election. http://bit.ly/1mJUYDo

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,846
    Since it's late at night and we are on racists, does Nick Griffin still think he's Blofeld?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jreITHdm6NY
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

Thanks TSE not helpful in this particular case, but it was a masterclass in "lawyer speak". ;-)

In that context, "civic" usually refers to ownership by municipalities (i.e. district councils) while "public" refers to national ownership (i.e. by the whole of the public).

Usually "civic" assets are tangible - such as town halls, etc - while public assets can either be tangible or intangible (e.g. shares in publicly owned companies). There are rare examples of intangible assets that are (or were) in municipal ownership - the most famous of these is the KCOM Group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KCOM_Group
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Sean_F said:

Blueberry said:

isam said:

Blueberry said:

UKIP are making the same arguments about immigration that the Conservatives made in 2005. The Conservatives just don't like having their clothes stolen.
    It's not a matter of stealing clothes. In 2005 if you talked about immigration everyone said you were racist. Today it can be talked about because the Conservatives made it possible, The Daily Wail and The Daily Express keep on talking about it and Labour are frightened to talk about it.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

The theory which prevailed under Richard II's government was that anything done under the colour of law which was in derogation of the regality of the crown was null. Thus in 1397, Chief Justice Thirning, Mr Justice Rickhill and Mr Justice Clopton held that the Acts of the Merciless Parliament of 1388 were void, derogating as they did from Richard II's regality.* Likewise, the pardon granted to Richard, earl of Arundel was revoked on the same basis. Such arguments have not been given much weight of late, but it might be thought arguable that the European Communities Act 1972 and certain provisions of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998, were in derogation of the regality of the Crown...

*S.B. Chrimes, 'Richard II's Questions to the Judges, 1387', Law Quarterly Review, 72, (1956), pp. 367-390.

• Options
    @Charles
    Thanks

"civic ownership of public services" was starting to make my head spin.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Indeed, both have been marked by a severe failure to report the facts. In 2010, the media strangely omitted to report the pope's claims to (1) a plenitudo potestatis, without limit of weight, number or measure, (2) infallibility, and immunity from censure, whether by a general council of the faithful or otherwise (3) the alleged ability to depose Her Majesty, whereupon, in the papal view, it would become lawful for Her to be murdered by Her subjects, (4) his supposed power to grant dispensations from divine law, even to the extent of absolving a sin before its commission, (5) his pretended jurisdiction over all temporalities, and his dominium over a tenth thereof...
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Scott_P said:

@hugorifkind: Hey, Nige? If it's ok to say Romanians are "more likely" to be criminals, is it also okay to say Ukippers are "more likely" to be racist?

Yes? The lefty media class really struggle with stats, probabilities and the subsequent stereotypes upon which we base decisions. Also its the media class who try to shutdown debate not Mr Farage. Also its Gypsies not Romanians.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Sean_F said:

Yes, not just the press, too. I'm impressed by all the firmly anti-racist comments being made here by contributors who don't regularly sound like the Guardian.

To give a serious reply to Blueberry, there's nothing wrong with collecting information about people's background and using it to help form an opinion, so long as an open mind is kept for them as individuals. Racism (and other isms) in my view is the drawing of conclusions about entire groups with no scope for difference - it's undesirable both because it's unfair and because it erects a wall of perceived difference which gets in the way of sensible mingling. If you think that ALL Romanians are worrying neighbours, how does a law-abiding Romanian go about establishing any kind of neighbourly relationship with you?

I had a case some years ago of a paedophile, a former policeman, who'd been released after serving his sentence. By coincidence I canvassed his neighbour, who complained bitterly about having to live next to his house. I murmured about his having paid his debt, need to give him a chance, etc., and she interrupted: "No, no, Bill's never been a problem. But now he's moved away and rented his house out to two Poles. We didn't move here for that!" (I knocked on their door and indeed found two middle-aged Polish women, working as cleaners for the NHS.) She was convinced that the neighbourhood had gone downhill, and not willing to consider the possibility that they might be harmless, and indeed a great improvement on their landlord.

• Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited May 2014
    Carnyx said:

And it's not, strictly, secession but dissolution of the UK (of the union treaty, or the modern equivalent). The point is an important one for a number of reasons. One is the prior existence of Scotland as an independent state and continuing as an autonomous one in many aspects de jure and de facto, so the word 'secession' (perfectly correct in the War Between the States US context) is normally frowned on, unless one is trolling.

So was the Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales, Lord Thomas of Cwmgiedd 'trolling' when he said 'if Scotland seceded, it would be difficult to see how we could have any justices from Scotland...'? (See Unrevised transcript of evidence taken before the Select Committee on the Constitution on 7 May 2014, p. 9)
  • Options

Carnyx said:

And it's not, strictly, secession but dissolution of the UK (of the union treaty, or the modern equivalent). The point is an important one for a number of reasons. One is the prior existence of Scotland as an independent state and continuing as an autonomous one in many aspects de jure and de facto, so the word 'secession' (perfectly correct in the War Between the States US context) is normally frowned on, unless one is trolling.

So was the Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales, Lord Thomas of Cwmgiedd 'trolling' when he said 'if Scotland seceded, it would be difficult to see how we could have any justices from Scotland...'? (See Unrevised transcript of evidence taken before the Select Committee on the Constitution on 7 May 2014, p. 9)
    Trolling is one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have a perceptive mind, you are a spoof, he is a troll.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Yes, not just the press, too. I'm impressed by all the firmly anti-racist comments being made here by contributors who don't regularly sound like the Guardian.

To give a serious reply to Blueberry, there's nothing wrong with collecting information about people's background and using it to help form an opinion, so long as an open mind is kept for them as individuals. Racism (and other isms) in my view is the drawing of conclusions about entire groups with no scope for difference - it's undesirable both because it's unfair and because it erects a wall of perceived difference which gets in the way of sensible mingling. If you think that ALL Romanians are worrying neighbours, how does a law-abiding Romanian go about establishing any kind of neighbourly relationship with you?

I had a case some years ago of a paedophile, a former policeman, who'd been released after serving his sentence. By coincidence I canvassed his neighbour, who complained bitterly about having to live next to his house. I murmured about his having paid his debt, need to give him a chance, etc., and she interrupted: "No, no, Bill's never been a problem. But now he's moved away and rented his house out to two Poles. We didn't move here for that!" (I knocked on their door and indeed found two middle-aged Polish women, working as cleaners for the NHS.) She was convinced that the neighbourhood had gone downhill, and not willing to consider the possibility that they might be harmless, and indeed a great improvement on their landlord.

Reading that comment I now know how it feels to be one of the people that was sure Enoch Powell invented the woman in his Birmingham speech.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,211
    Peter the Punter (earlier comment) sadly not, he is now deceased. Went to see a rather stylish subtitled film of his life in French
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    isam said:

Reading that comment I now know how it feels to be one of the people that was sure Enoch Powell invented the woman in his Birmingham speech.

Er, you mean you think I made it up? No, there are some genuinely odd people out there - I'm not suggesting she's typical of anyone but she was an extreme example of how racism can distort thinking beyond reason. She wasn't strange in any other way - perfectly normal-looking woman unaware she was saying anything odd.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,025
    Tim_B said:

The way Froome TOOK APART the entire race last year, not a chance Wiggins will be team lead now. Froome has won the Romandie which is tougher than the ToC - though it is an excellent achievement. Reminds me a bit of BMC Evans/Van Garderen of last year.
  • Options
    Working together,Ownership of services, and amenities, all done in a spirit of altruism and with no thought of remuneration. this really has to be a winner of an idea.
    Socialism will be the new Tory policy!

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2014/05/luke-de-pulford-the-big-society-is-bouncing-back.html
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Well, if you haven't got children, a paedophile is no threat to you or your family.

Poles, on the other hand, weren't obviously seen as part of her community - race, religion, language etc. but the paedophile was.

I think this illustrates the collapse in community cohesion that results from mass immigration, something the distinctly undiverse Westminster Bubble has no inkling of.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,803

HYUFD said:

EUvox VoterMatch for EU elections. If you still have not decided, take the test and see which party you should vote for on Thursday
    http://eu1.euvox.eu/eng/

Mine came in at half UKIP and half Tory. The rest a loooong way behind

Had a quick look at this - what happened to the Scottish. Welsh and Northern Irish regions?
  • Options
    "Socialism will be the new Tory policy"
    I misspoke, it is not "new", but miraculously resurrected!
  • Options

isam said:

Er, you mean you think I made it up? No, there are some genuinely odd people out there - I'm not suggesting she's typical of anyone but she was an extreme example of how racism can distort thinking beyond reason. She wasn't strange in any other way - perfectly normal-looking woman unaware she was saying anything odd.

No sorry, I am not accusing you of making it up. But it would fit my viewpoint if you were, and thats why I think a lot of people wanted Enoch to have made up the story about the woman in his speech.

If you say it happened I, believe you.

• Options

MaxPB said:

isam said:

Indeed, a lot of my enemy enemies is my friend etc

Agree with both of you.
  • Options
    Given that the vast majority of Romanians don't commit any crimes, why not just say that?
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Ninoinoz said:

Well, if you haven't got children, a paedophile is no threat to you or your family.

Poles, on the other hand, weren't obviously seen as part of her community - race, religion, language etc. but the paedophile was.

I think this illustrates the collapse in community cohesion that results from mass immigration, something the distinctly undiverse Westminster Bubble has no inkling of.
    The main factor in the collapse of community cohesion isn't immigration, it's internal population movement.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

The way Froome TOOK APART the entire race last year, not a chance Wiggins will be team lead now. Froome has won the Romandie which is tougher than the ToC - though it is an excellent achievement. Reminds me a bit of BMC Evans/Van Garderen of last year.
    Potential for a T-mobile-esque situation you think? (As in when they had Vino, Ullrich and to a lesser extent Kloden, and Ullrich was the official leader but they had very long leashes).
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    FalseFlag.

"Yes? The lefty media class really struggle with stats, probabilities and the subsequent stereotypes upon which we base decisions."

I agree. We evolved to see patterns in behaviour, and for a good reason. If you're looking for a mugger, a twenty-year-old is more likely than an eighty-year-old. And at airport security, a suicide bomber is unlikely to be a seventy-year-old nun, no matter how PC you are.

Obviously it's statistical but it's also logical. Testosterone imprinting makes a difference - it makes you more likely to be stronger, more violent and less able at languages, but it's only a guide. To ignore it, though, is stupid.

Racism is silly - the genetic differences are tiny. Culture is much more important. Nature and nurture combine and we're still arguing which is most important.

A Romanian neighbour is an individual, but if we import a selective group, we may have a significant effect. That is where facts are useful rather than prejudice of either sort.

This discussion has been closed.