Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » COVID-19: It’s Not Your Fault

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Stocky said:

What odds should Trump be to win the popular vote? You can lay him at 4.8 with Bf (thin market admittedly). He`s got next to no chance has he?

He's got a chance. Could go either way, those odds seem about right to me.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783

I predict masks are going to be the new bog rolls in a month or two. And unlike bog roll, which was a distribution issue, there will be a long term shortage problem.

I passed a closed shop the other day which had a sign in the window “No toilet rolls are stored on these premises”
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745

85k tests...Big John incoming in 5...4...3....2...1..

Good evening

No comment is required is it.
    If we waited for when a comment was required before making it I for one would have far fewer posts to my name.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419

Here's the thing, you see. Michael Gove has probably done more for Holocaust education and the Jewish community in Britain than any senior politician other than Gordon Brown. It's obvious to anyone why he would have read the work of a Holocaust denier.

Owen Jones, on the other hand, was an actual cheerleader for Jeremy Corbyn - a man described by one of his own MPs as a "racist antisemite". If Jones had his way, that same Jeremy Corbyn would be in Number Ten right now.

Twitter can be annoying, infuriating and sometimes plain pointless. But sometimes it can reveal truths. And in one stupid tweet last night, Owen Jones confirmed a truth about himself and his fellow hard left travellers: that their true ideology is hypocrisy.

https://www.thejc.com/comment/comment/one-stupid-tweet-by-owen-jones-confirms-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-hard-left-1.499433

Who said anything about reading them? Displaying them on your bookshelf is a different thing.

I think I have a video of Triumph of The Will kicking about in a trunk somewhere. The humiliation of having a shelf full of videotapes aside, I wouldn't be sticking it in a bookcase anytime. One of my favourite books is Memoirs of an Anti-Semite; in the unlikely event of me appearing on Zoom in front of my books, I'd think hard about displaying that due to the possibility of misinterpretation by the dumbasses that infest the world.
    Where else would one store a book?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,217
    Stocky said:

What odds should Trump be to win the popular vote? You can lay him at 4.8 with Bf (thin market admittedly). He`s got next to no chance has he?

Safe as houses IMO. Might even do it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    Fecking voodoo poll.
  • Options
    blairfblairf Posts: 98

blairf said:

The numbers on workers furloughed from HRMC are staggering. 6.3 million at a cost of GBP8bn.

How many of those are going to walk back into work when that nice Mr Sunak takes his subsidies away?

Many, many more than if the furlough wasn't there.
    it is what it is, what was done is done. getting them off furlough in the next two months is critical.
    Why?

There's talk of 3 months potentially until social distancing ends in some businesses. Why would you end furlough in 2 months then end restrictions in 3?

Furlough should end once we are back to normal.
    there is no money. none. we turned the engine off.

without consumption directly employing shop workers, bar staff, hairdressers, dentists... there is less for bankers, insurers, accountants, property agents, IT professionals, advertising execs, cleaners, recruitment consultants... and so there is less for ... doctors, lawyers, teachers, nurses, soldiers, police people, social workers, bin men. And the reduced demand all round hits factory workers, builders, carpenters, delivery drivers.

and we end up in the utter shit show we are in. we have to get to work and consuming.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

85k on a Sunday is mighty impressive.
    99 % sure you'll have people chasing weekend effect shadows.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Alistair said:

Own up, which one of you did it

https://twitter.com/LadPolitics/status/1257329572124798977

Shadsy is openly mocking people takin this bet.

Surely, both sides of Congress would happily amend the Constitution if it prevented Trump and Biden being the only options in November?
  • Options
    Fantastic news.

Taika Waititi Confirmed To Direct New Star Wars Movie

It’s May the 4th, and Disney wants to make all your dreams come true: Taika Waititi is officially making a new Star Wars movie. As confirmed by Disney and LucasFilm, the Kiwi filmmaker, fresh from helming the final episode of The Mandalorian Season 1, will be cooking up something else in the galaxy far, far away for the big screen – adding to his long, long list of upcoming projects.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/taika-waititi-confirmed-to-direct-new-star-wars-movie/
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

you are easy pleased
    And you have never knowingly been pleased!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Stocky said:

It'll probably shorten when rural Indiana and Kentucky are even more lopsided than last time.
  • Options
    At the risk of being Off Topic, any more on that truly independent Shadow SAGE committee?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Fantastic news.

It’s May the 4th, and Disney wants to make all your dreams come true: Taika Waititi is officially making a new Star Wars movie. As confirmed by Disney and LucasFilm, the Kiwi filmmaker, fresh from helming the final episode of The Mandalorian Season 1, will be cooking up something else in the galaxy far, far away for the big screen – adding to his long, long list of upcoming projects.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/taika-waititi-confirmed-to-direct-new-star-wars-movie/

Baby Yoda - The Movie ?
  • Options

At the risk of being Off Topic, any more on that truly independent Shadow SAGE committee?

It descended into ranting about Tories austerity killing babies.
  • Options
    noisywinternoisywinter Posts: 249

Alistair said:

Surely, both sides of Congress would happily amend the Constitution if it prevented Trump and Biden being the only options in November?
    Nothing to stop Obama serving as vice President, and indeed as president if the incumbent were to resign or have actuarial demise
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Is a former two terms president ineligible to be elected to Congress?

No. Only VP needs to be eligible to become President (I think).
    So Obama can still become president again then.
    Nope. Even if he got into the order of succession by reason of being elected to Congress, he would be eliminated from the said order of succession by his being elected president twice.
    Surely that cannot count as being elected president?
    Becoming President doesn't require election, it does require eligibility.
    But the 22nd only prohibits being elected president.
    You're right.
    However, the Presidential Succession Act of 1947 states that the order of succession to the Presidency in the event of a vacancy of both the President and Vice-President only applies to those constitutionally eligible to be elected President. So in the current administration, Elaine Chao, the Secretary of Transportation, could not succeed as she's a naturalized, not natural-born, US citizen. Even if Obama became Speaker of the House, President Pro-Tem of the Senate or one of the Cabinet officers designated by that statute as being in the line of succession, he could not succeed as he's ineligible to be elected as President again.

I think the only way Obama could become POTUS again would be for the Vice-Presidency to fall vacant, POTUS to appoint Obama to be VP and a majority of both houses ratifying this, and the President to then die or resign.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited May 2020
    Spurs' unbeaten run is one of the few positives currently.....
  • Options

BigRich said:

isam said:
    6th-8th March looks very significant - from 3 to pretty much 1.

What happened there?
    This graph seems to show that lockdown has not made much difference
    Assuming that the graph is accurate in portraying those impacts, lockdown could still have saved countless lives.

If the infection period is deemed to last about a week, then if R had stayed at 0.9 the number of new cases at the end of 8 weeks would still be about 43% of the level at the start. By contrast if R were consistently 0.7 it means that new cases would be reduced to about 6% of the original level. R was 0.9 when lockdown started and has declined to about 0.7 since then, although the decline has been gradual not immediate.

Well there are 2 other factors that will have contribution to R falling gradually over the long term.

1) Some people have now had the desise and therefor wont get it again, this is the start of the heard effect,

2) The weather has been getting warmer, we don't know how big an impact this will have had, as I understand it most of this family of viruses are to some extent weather transmition affected, so this viruses may also be.
    I thought heat having a positive impact was debunked? That the virus could live on through temperatures well past those of a good old-fashioned English spring/summer.
    The only data out there I have seen was that to completely sterilise does appear to require very high temperatures.

Warm weather and sunlight need only interfere with the virus and hinder its transmission to have a positive effect (for us).
  • Options

Fantastic news.

Baby Yoda - The Movie ?
    I hope so.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,298

Fantastic news.

Disney Star Wars is dire crap, apart from Captain Corelli's Mandalorian, allegedly.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    edited May 2020
    Hancock Test Track & Trace strategy

TEST in the post lets count it

On TRACK to meet a political target even though tens of thousands are not processed

Not a TRACE of integrity

Goodbye for today.

CLP Accounts to 30.4.20 to do.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

Fantastic news.

Disney Star Wars is dire crap, apart from Captain Corelli's Mandalorian, allegedly.
    Mando > any of the last Skywalker films.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

# new cases seems a bit stubborn.

That's because of increased testing. A few days ago I wouldn't have been able to get tested for my mild symptoms. We are just picking up people who would never have been tested before. The blue bars are on the old basis of hospital admissions plus health care workers, and seems to be steadily falling
    Have you had your test result back yet ?
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Isle of Wight seeing the benefits of voting Conservative.

Isle of Skye - well, if you will vote for the Ian Blackford...
  • Options
    blairf said:

blairf said:

The numbers on workers furloughed from HRMC are staggering. 6.3 million at a cost of GBP8bn.

How many of those are going to walk back into work when that nice Mr Sunak takes his subsidies away?

it is what it is, what was done is done. getting them off furlough in the next two months is critical.
    Why?

There's talk of 3 months potentially until social distancing ends in some businesses. Why would you end furlough in 2 months then end restrictions in 3?

without consumption directly employing shop workers, bar staff, hairdressers, dentists... there is less for bankers, insurers, accountants, property agents, IT professionals, advertising execs, cleaners, recruitment consultants... and so there is less for ... doctors, lawyers, teachers, nurses, soldiers, police people, social workers, bin men. And the reduced demand all round hits factory workers, builders, carpenters, delivery drivers.

and we end up in the utter shit show we are in. we have to get to work and consuming.
    There's no consumption either way as people stay at home, that's why 30 million Americans have lost their jobs - with that starting before lockdown. There doesn't need to be consumption now either.

£8 billion borrowed at 0.1% interest to keep millions from being made unemployed. Is that all its cost? So £80 million interest costs to protect the economy and save millions of jobs?

Its worth remembering once more than in 1920 when there was no furlough or anything else nominal GDP fell by 20% in one year due to the pandemic and its aftermath. It took two decades and World War Two to start before nominal GDP returned to its 1920 level.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    DavidL said:

I reckon something like 1m will be made redundant and maybe another million gig workers will find their contracts at an end. Which compared with the 30m jobs lost in the US is an incredibly good result.
    so four million workers when you add the extra universal credit claims right? is that really much better than the US proportionally?

I would say given the government's dithering, which is killing the economy more every single day, 2m out of that six is a very conservative estimate.

But we shall see.
  • Options

BigRich said:

isam said:

What happened there?
    Assuming that the graph is accurate in portraying those impacts, lockdown could still have saved countless lives.

If the infection period is deemed to last about a week, then if R had stayed at 0.9 the number of new cases at the end of 8 weeks would still be about 43% of the level at the start. By contrast if R were consistently 0.7 it means that new cases would be reduced to about 6% of the original level. R was 0.9 when lockdown started and has declined to about 0.7 since then, although the decline has been gradual not immediate.

Well there are 2 other factors that will have contribution to R falling gradually over the long term.

1) Some people have now had the desise and therefor wont get it again, this is the start of the heard effect,

2) The weather has been getting warmer, we don't know how big an impact this will have had, as I understand it most of this family of viruses are to some extent weather transmition affected, so this viruses may also be.
    I thought heat having a positive impact was debunked? That the virus could live on through temperatures well past those of a good old-fashioned English spring/summer.
    The only data out there I have seen was that to completely sterilise does appear to require very high temperatures.

Warm weather and sunlight need only interfere with the virus and hinder its transmission to have a positive effect (for us).
    It seems to have done quite a number of Guayaquil, Ecuador, though, where the average annual low is 22C/72F.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Indeed.

Or maybe its the (Westminster funded) bridge.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:
    That seems to misunderstand what they intended. Even being referred to as an alternative SAGE means it achieved what it wanted i presume.
    One might describe it as 'winning the argument'?
  • Options

blairf said:

blairf said:

Why?

There's no consumption either way as people stay at home, that's why 30 million Americans have lost their jobs - with that starting before lockdown. There doesn't need to be consumption now either.

£8 billion borrowed at 0.1% interest to keep millions from being made unemployed. Is that all its cost? So £80 million interest costs to protect the economy and save millions of jobs?
    £8m interest at 0.1% on £8 billion.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973

Here's the thing, you see. Michael Gove has probably done more for Holocaust education and the Jewish community in Britain than any senior politician other than Gordon Brown. It's obvious to anyone why he would have read the work of a Holocaust denier.

Owen Jones, on the other hand, was an actual cheerleader for Jeremy Corbyn - a man described by one of his own MPs as a "racist antisemite". If Jones had his way, that same Jeremy Corbyn would be in Number Ten right now.

Twitter can be annoying, infuriating and sometimes plain pointless. But sometimes it can reveal truths. And in one stupid tweet last night, Owen Jones confirmed a truth about himself and his fellow hard left travellers: that their true ideology is hypocrisy.

https://www.thejc.com/comment/comment/one-stupid-tweet-by-owen-jones-confirms-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-hard-left-1.499433

Who said anything about reading them? Displaying them on your bookshelf is a different thing.

I think I have a video of Triumph of The Will kicking about in a trunk somewhere. The humiliation of having a shelf full of videotapes aside, I wouldn't be sticking it in a bookcase anytime. One of my favourite books is Memoirs of an Anti-Semite; in the unlikely event of me appearing on Zoom in front of my books, I'd think hard about displaying that due to the possibility of misinterpretation by the dumbasses that infest the world.
    loft , garage , etc
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,750
    edited May 2020
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Indeed.

It was funded out of PFI - and the tolls hit the pockets of the local people and their visitors. Edit: Infamously so.

Mind, there was no Scottish Parliament then.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,298

TGOHF666 said:

10 months ago this week, we stayed for four nights on the Isle of Skye.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    rpjs said:

BigRich said:

isam said:

What happened there?

It seems to have done quite a number of Guayaquil, Ecuador, though, where the average annual low is 22C/72F.
    Oh I am sure there are trivial counter examples, but a reply citing the original French work on high temperature treatments will be taken much more seriously. Cheers!
  • Options
    edited May 2020

blairf said:

blairf said:

Why?

Its worth remembering once more than in 1920 when there was no furlough or anything else nominal GDP fell by 20% in one year due to the pandemic and its aftermath. It took two decades and World War Two to start before nominal GDP returned to its 1920 level.
    US media over the weekend featured some small businesses who have been able to re-open over the last few days as their states ease their lockdowns, but are finding that, so far, virtually no-one wants to go out and patronize them anyway.
  • Options

I AM SHOCKED
  • Options

99 % sure you'll have people chasing weekend effect shadows.
    In 24 hours we'll know.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

kle4 said:

RobD said:
    That seems to misunderstand what they intended. Even being referred to as an alternative SAGE means it achieved what it wanted i presume.
    One might describe it as 'winning the argument'?
    Not really. Winning the argument has some measurable related factors associated with it to judge if the person claiming is talking bullshit. This instance just needed them to get some publicity.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    Pulpstar said:

# new cases seems a bit stubborn.

That's because of increased testing. A few days ago I wouldn't have been able to get tested for my mild symptoms. We are just picking up people who would never have been tested before. The blue bars are on the old basis of hospital admissions plus health care workers, and seems to be steadily falling
    Have you had your test result back yet ?
    No not yet. 72 hours and counting.
  • Options
    This is a massively positive health story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52530828
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Indeed.

Meow, look a squirrel over there
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

10 months ago this week, we stayed for four nights on the Isle of Skye.
    Have the midge bites gone down yet? :smiley:
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Dave Greenfield: The Stranglers keyboard player dies at 71

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52537293
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Indeed.

Meow, look a squirrel over there
    Likely a red squirrel in Skye.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,097

Some of us less yahoo-ey types have more than one bookcase.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    Asked about anti-vaxxers.....where's the editor of the Lancet?
  • Options

Do these luddites not own a Kindle ?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Nothing to stop Obama serving as vice President, and indeed as president if the incumbent were to resign or have actuarial demise
    "Nothing to stop Obama serving as vice President"

Exhibit A - the Supreme Court....
  • Options
    rpjs said:

blairf said:

blairf said:

Why?

US media over the weekend featured some small businesses who have been able to re-open over the last few days as their states ease their lockdowns, but are finding that, so far, virtually no-one wants to go out and patronize them anyway.
    That's what I've been saying. If you turn off life support and turn the economy back on prematurely you won't suddenly see an economic recovery instead you'll see lots of businesses going bust.

On the other hand if we keep furlough going a bit longer you might find that when restrictions and furlough ends then the economic recovery will be much more real.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited May 2020
    Such a shame the rule isn't that you can't win more than two Presidential terms in a row.

Surely the point is to prevent an incumbent going on and on - as an incumbent has an advantage in an election.

It would also be great as a spectacle with Presidents going head to head.

We would have had Bush v Clinton in 2004 (*) and Trump v Obama in 2020.

(*) Clinton would have fought an election against a father and his son!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992

Stocky said:

He's got a chance. Could go either way, those odds seem about right to me.
    Agreed.

We are, after all, a solid six months from the election.

If he handles the rest of the CV-19 pandemic well, and manages to deflect blame onto the Chinese government, then it's entirely possible he will be more popular than Biden.

At the same time, I worry the US is reopening too quickly, and we're going to see a terrible second wave in places like Georgia. To miss the first wave can be excused by it blindsiding us. To catch a bad second wave will look awfully like carelessness.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Yeah that should have said nothing to stop George W Bush service as Vice President.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Do these luddites not own a Kindle ?
    Holocaust denial books do furnish a room.
  • Options
    They really aren't mind-blowing, Laura. They are the consequence of a pandemic that risked killing at least 500,000 of us if we just shrugged and said "Meh - I'm off down the pub...."
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Such a shame the rule isn't that you can't win more than two Presidential terms in a row.

Surely the point is to prevent an incumbent going on and on - as an incumbent has an advantage in an election.

We would have had Bush v Clinton in 2004 and Trump v Obama in 2020.

Nah you'd have farces like the 2008 Russian presidential election all over again.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,404

For some of us an empty wall, is the Call For Another Bookcase....
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    An excellent main article, thank you. I'm guessing most of the PBers younger than me won't get the original reference for the "Mourning in America" video at the top. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU-IBF8nwSY

Although there is no rigid definition of Occam's razor, I prefer 'choose the simpler explanation' rather than 'choose the one with less assumptions'. The first version works much better with statistical and machine learning models, where "simpler explanation" becomes "model with less parameters", but also applies to the Wuhan Bat Hypothesis above.
  • Options

For some of us an empty wall, is the Call For Another Bookcase....
    Aye, if we're allowed!

'Haven't you already read all these old books?'
  • Options
    The accuracy of coronavirus tests used in Tanzania has been questioned by the country's president after a goat and a papaya both tested positive for the disease.

President John Magufuli, whose government has already faced criticism over its handling of coronavirus outbreak and has previously asked people to pray the disease away, said the kits had "technical errors".

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-tanzania-testing-kits-questioned-after-goat-and-papaya-test-positive-11982864
  • Options

DavidL said:

I reckon something like 1m will be made redundant and maybe another million gig workers will find their contracts at an end. Which compared with the 30m jobs lost in the US is an incredibly good result.
    so four million workers when you add the extra universal credit claims right? is that really much better than the US proportionally?

I would say given the government's dithering, which is killing the economy more every single day, 2m out of that six is a very conservative estimate.

But we shall see.
    You just don't get it do you?
    The lockdown is working.
    The economy would be in a worse state if there were no lockdown and Covid-19 had run riot.
  • Options
    Might incline me to watch a Star Wars dead horse being flogged, might not.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1257345002654621697?s=20
  • Options
    noisywinternoisywinter Posts: 249

Alistair said:

Don't think that is correct, check out Legal Eagles YouTube video on whether trump could serve a third term
  • Options
    MikeL said:

I can think of many US presidential clashes I'd like to see, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

If there should be any change it would be to allow 3 consecutive terms not a comeback after a break.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140
    TGOHF666 said:

Fantastic news.

Mando > any of the last Skywalker films.
    Agreed. Rogue One was also a good film, though. And they are all 30 million times better than Ep I-III.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,123
    eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

But we shall see.
    The lockdown is working.
    The economy would be in a worse state if there were no lockdown and Covid-19 had run riot.
    Unfortunately, for some people, the fact that the lockdowns have prevented millions of deaths is proof that COVID-19 is "no worse than the flu" after all.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,609
    Conclusion shopping (from last week)...

Trump Officials Are Said to Press Spies to Link Virus and Wuhan Labs
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/30/us/politics/trump-administration-intelligence-coronavirus-china.html
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

This angle will be tough for the "economic effects of lockdown are killing people, we must reopen now" crowd to argue against.

Unless they are goo g to go for, well those economic policies didn't kill anyone whilst these ones totally are.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

But we shall see.
    The lockdown is working.
    except it wouldn't have if we hadn't arsed up the response. ref korea, thailand, japan, sweden, iceland, taiwan, and yes even china. we drove our economy off a cliff in a fit of panic fuelled by hysteria and rushed modelling. hey ho. we need to kick on. And that is accepting we are not ALL GOING TO DIE by going back to work

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Mr. Pulpstar, I was in China a year earlier. Whereabouts were you?

I visited mostly Shanghai and Beijing.

Went Beijing, Shanghai, Guangdong, Xi'an (Horrendously polluted), Chengdu

Here's me in Yangshuo :smile:

/>
    You're right about Xi'an. Fascinating, but I thought Beijing was badly polluted, until we went to Xi'an. We were there 2009.
    Better or worse than New Delhi? That is the only place I’ve seen pollution haze inside a building (the arrivals terminal).
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Penddu2 said:

I lived in Shanghai for one year - fantastic place.
    I visted Beijing - Forbidden City and Great Wall are...Great. But otherwise not up to much.
    I also visited Tianjing - filthy;
    Qingdao - great beer but otherwise - meh
    Jiangsu, QiDong nothing to report.
    Shandong area is interesting
    Guangshou ok

I love Shanghai. Up there with London, New York, Hong Kong, Beirut and Istanbul in my book. Shenzhen - at least the coastal resort bits around Yantian - is pretty nice too
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    eristdoof said:

An excellent main article, thank you. I'm guessing most of the PBers younger than me won't get the original reference for the "Mourning in America" video at the top. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU-IBF8nwSY

Although there is no rigid definition of Occam's razor, I prefer 'choose the simpler explanation' rather than 'choose the one with less assumptions'. The first version works much better with statistical and machine learning models, where "simpler explanation" becomes "model with less parameters", but also applies to the Wuhan Bat Hypothesis above.

The trouble with it is that as used it usually conflicts with the dictum that "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." Entertainingly, Occam himself used it to defend the existence of miracles, which most people probably think require a rather complicated explanation involving self-delusion and religious psychology rather than the pleasingly simple "God made it happen." Similarly, look at Father Christmas: either he exists, or Mummy and Daddy (known opponents of the telling of lies) have deliberately conspired to lie to us. Again, criminal law becomes very easy for prosecutors: look, members of the jury, the Defendant is in the dock. What is the most likely explanation of his getting there? Wood burns down to ashes which are so light they blow away: is it more likely that the loss of weight comes of losing something (phlogiston) or of combination with something (oxygen)? And for that matter: it makes people cough and gives them a fever, and kills off a lot of old people but others quite often recover. I say it's flu, you have introduced a new entity called covid 19. I win.

It isn't a completely useless maxim, but it is a rough and ready rule of thumb, not a rule of logic which says that nothing is ever complicated or counterintuitive.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

They really aren't mind-blowing, Laura. They are the consequence of a pandemic that risked killing at least 500,000 of us if we just shrugged and said "Meh - I'm off down the pub...."
    According to Ferguson's model.

Others seem to be available.
  • Options
    blairf said:

eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

But we shall see.
    The lockdown is working.
    except it wouldn't have if we hadn't arsed up the response. ref korea, thailand, japan, sweden, iceland, taiwan, and yes even china. we drove our economy off a cliff in a fit of panic fuelled by hysteria and rushed modelling. hey ho. we need to kick on. And that is accepting we are not ALL GOING TO DIE by going back to work

You realise that Sweden is seeing large job losses right now too don't you?
  • Options
    sarissa said:

I predict masks are going to be the new bog rolls in a month or two. And unlike bog roll, which was a distribution issue, there will be a long term shortage problem.

I passed a closed shop the other day which had a sign in the window “No toilet rolls are stored on these premises”
    Should have said - it sold rocks and fossils!
  • Options

Spurs' unbeaten run is one of the few positives currently.....

Spare a thought for us Heart of Midlothian supporters on indefinite death row...
  • Options
    It seems there is still confusion regarding the statistics in the ranks of the MSM. From my Google News feed:

UK coronavirus hospital death toll rises by 229 in lowest total in six weeks
    Mirror Online
    20 minutes ago
    Coronavirus map LIVE: UK death toll rises by 288 - lowest daily total in seven weeks
    Express
    1 hour ago

UK coronavirus death toll hits 28,734 as 288 more people die but it’s the lowest rise for five weeks
    The Sun
    15 minutes ago

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited May 2020
    MikeL said:

I think Obama would have beaten Trump to get a third term and Clinton would have beaten Bush to get a third term and Reagan would definitely have beaten Dukakis to get a third term, however Obama would probably have beaten Bush in 2008 anyway so he would only have got the 2 terms.

However even the best leaders should stop at 10 years, Blair leaving in 2007 was the best thing to happen to him, Thatcher should have gone in 1989 rather than being forced out in tears in 1990 by Heseltine' s leadership challenge
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Indeed.

Pathetic joke attempt alert!
  • Options

blairf said:

eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

But we shall see.
    The lockdown is working.

we all are. the global economy just got borked. we need to deal with that. it has happened. now we need to review the wreckage and get on with it. more debt and refusing to accept the reality of furlough to redundancy (which everyone is looking at, trust me, everyone) won't work.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,217
    IshmaelZ said:

eristdoof said:

The trouble with it is that as used it usually conflicts with the dictum that "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." Entertainingly, Occam himself used it to defend the existence of miracles, which most people probably think require a rather complicated explanation involving self-delusion and religious psychology rather than the pleasingly simple "God made it happen." Similarly, look at Father Christmas: either he exists, or Mummy and Daddy (known opponents of the telling of lies) have deliberately conspired to lie to us. Again, criminal law becomes very easy for prosecutors: look, members of the jury, the Defendant is in the dock. What is the most likely explanation of his getting there? Wood burns down to ashes which are so light they blow away: is it more likely that the loss of weight comes of losing something (phlogiston) or of combination with something (oxygen)? And for that matter: it makes people cough and gives them a fever, and kills off a lot of old people but others quite often recover. I say it's flu, you have introduced a new entity called covid 19. I win.

It isn't a completely useless maxim, but it is a rough and ready rule of thumb, not a rule of logic which says that nothing is ever complicated or counterintuitive.

That sounds good to me.

I go by this - if there is nothing wrong with the simple explanation it is very likely the explanation.

Don't know whose razor that is - or even if it is one - but I do find it usually works.

Unless it doesn't, of course, but that is not so often.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Somehow I accidentally stumbled into a thread from October 2017 with Mike talking about the right/wrong polling

I read about 50 posts before @TOPPING said it was Friday afternoon and I realised something was wrong

Nothing has changed!

😆
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited May 2020
    Stocky said:

Latest polling has Biden doing better in Michigan and Pennsylvania than nationally, Michigan and Pennsylvania and the Hillary states gives him 269 EC votes and the Presidency as the Democratic controlled house is the decider in a tie. So not impossible Trump wins the popular vote and Biden the EC in a reverse of 2016

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1256779250000158720?s=20
  • Options
    edited May 2020

'Us' is a complete misnomer. NHS England figures show that if you are healthy and under 60 the risks really are extremely small. 250 people with no other conditions have died between 0 and 60.

even for healthy people up to 80 its under 1000.

We may think we are in this together but the virus absolutely doesn't. Cruelly, it goes for those who are both aged and infirm.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

'Us' is a complete misnomer. NHS England figures show that if you are healthy and under 60 the risks really are extremely small. 250 people with no other conditions have died between 0 and 60.

We may think we are in this together but the virus absolutely doesn't.
    Do we have statistics as to how many younger people who catch the virus need hospital treatment, intensive care, and ventilators? Despite their mostly recovering, there might be a significant burden on health services to achieve that.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

We may think we are in this together but the virus absolutely doesn't. Cruelly, it goes for those who are both aged and infirm.
    14% of under 40s have a long term condition.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Actually Robert, I think it’s highly likely the Wuhan lab was implicated

Case 1: unlucky farmer sells infected bat to wet market and it somehow cross contaminates a shopper

Case 2: lab collects lots of specimens of infected bats near the wet market. An underpaid employee illicitly sells some (probably multiple over time) bats to the market. One of them cross contaminates a shopper

Basically case 1 you have to be really unlucky. Case 2 you have lots of shots on goal.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

I think Obama would have beaten Trump to get a third term and Clinton would have beaten Bush to get a third term and Reagan would definitely have beaten Dukakis to get a third term, however Obama would probably have beaten Bush in 2008 anyway so he would only have got the 2 terms.

However even the best leaders should stop at 10 years, Blair leaving in 2007 was the best thing to happen to him, Thatcher should have gone in 1989 rather than being forced out in tears in 1990 by Heseltine' s leadership challenge
    Didn't the Chinese enforce leadership changes every 10 years for a few decades, pre Xi (post Mao obviously), presumably on a similar principle?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Latest polling has Biden doing better in Michigan and Pennsylvania than nationally, Michigan and Pennsylvania and the Hillary states gives him 269 EC votes and the Presidency as the Democratic controlled house is the decider in a tie. So not impossible Trump wins the popular vote and Biden the EC in a reverse of 2016

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1256779250000158720?s=20
    Wrong. The house vote doesn't work the way you think it does. It needs a majority of states. It has a built-in republican majority.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Case 1: unlucky farmer sells infected bat to wet market and it somehow cross contaminates a shopper

Case 2: lab collects lots of specimens of infected bats near the wet market. An underpaid employee illicitly sells some (probably multiple over time) bats to the market. One of them cross contaminates a shopper

Basically case 1 you have to be really unlucky. Case 2 you have lots of shots on goal.

Case 3: Poor hygiene leads to an employee getting infected in the lab. Passes on the virus via human to human transmission at the wet market.

Given "patient zero" has never been identified that seems quite plausible.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Indeed.

It was funded out of PFI - and the tolls hit the pockets of the local people and their visitors. Edit: Infamously so.

Ask the barstewards about Crossrial, HS2 and all the other infrastructure in England we pay for.
  • Options
    blairf said:

blairf said:

eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

But we shall see.
    The lockdown is working.

we all are. the global economy just got borked. we need to deal with that. it has happened. now we need to review the wreckage and get on with it. more debt and refusing to accept the reality of furlough to redundancy (which everyone is looking at, trust me, everyone) won't work.
    Well we don't know what the wreckage is yet. If we can eliminate the virus New Zealand style then we may be able to lift more restrictions while putting more in at the border and avoid much of the economic damage.

It will take a bit of patience at this stage.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

14% of under 40s have a long term condition.
    That's a very fair point but I think the numbers show anybody under 40 has a very good chance of survival.

• Options

Charles said:

Case 3: Poor hygiene leads to an employee getting infected in the lab. Passes on the virus via human to human transmission at the wet market.

Given "patient zero" has never been identified that seems quite plausible.
    The first patient that has been confirmed from mid November had no contact with the wet market. Now either it was much wider spread much earlier or the wet market wasn't the origin.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Indeed.

Ask the barstewards about Crossrial, HS2 and all the other infrastructure in England we pay for.
    You don't pay for those. We've discussed this before, they're classed as local expenditure here and you get Barnett consequentials for them. Why do you still repeat that claim?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Case 3: Wuhan lab virus hunters actively go out into the field and collect 20,000 wild type bat coronaviruses from large bat colonies in caves, then selectively work on those closest to making the zoonotic jump to humans, and even do gain of function work on these viruses. Then they have lots of unreported LAIs (lab acquired infections) with such viruses, one of which happens to permit human to human transmission, which then occurs both inside and outside the lab before its impact is known.
This discussion has been closed.