Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The vibes are that the lockdown could be set to be eased

Comments

• Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    TGOHF666 said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Unsurprising figure but I'm surprised as many as 7% went for Gove too - as someone who likes Gove. Shows the unreliability of polling respondents to answer the question actually asked.

Gove and Patel simply haven't done that much that's obvious compared to the others during Boris's absence. Their departments are not as key frontline as the others.
    Nation likes person who gives them free stuff shock.
    Nation likes person who took the risk to react quickly in what was a constructive manner. Given the usual speed of the Treasury when it comes to handing back money, it was a bloody miracle.

Compare and contrast with everyone else in government.
    Note he's never once said "we're following the advice of our economists"...
    Because that would be an absurd and meaningless phrase that most especially anyone who knows anything about economics would laugh at.

Why would anyone say anything so silly? There are economists for and against almost any action.
    Of course, the same goes for science. As Prof Brian Cox said to Andrew Marr on Sunday:

"There’s no such thing as ‘the science’, which is a key lesson. If you hear a politician say ‘we’re following the science’, then what that means is they don’t really understand what science is. There isn’t such a thing as ‘the science’. Science is a mindset."
    I wonder if that applies to campaigners on Global Warming, where 'follow the science' is also a mantra.

Just a musing on that...

Not accepting that increasing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere will lead to the warmng of average global temperatures is not just outsider the "cloud of science" it is a hundred miles away.
    Arguing that tiny trace volumes of CO2 are the only controlling factor and what the sun is up to is a disctraction seems thousands of miles away.

Increase in CO2 levels in the atmosphere 285 ppm to 410 ppm since 1850.
    That's a 44% increase. Saying the words "tiny trace" just makes you sound like an idiot.

"How can a tiny trace amount of botulinum toxin kill someone?"
    Checks post , checks if awake.

Yes he really did compare CO2 to botulinum.

OK let me spell it out for you, as you don't seem to be able to grasp even very simple things

"tiny trace" amounts of things can have big effects. if you cannot see that when it applies to CO2 maybe you can see it with other things, for example trace amounts of substances that can kill you.

using the words "tiny trace" to try and suggest CO2 cannot be the most important factor affecting current climate change makes you seem either totally stupid, or a troll.
    I get it - you can't tax the sun...

The evidence is that without increases in greenhouse gases there would be if anything a slight cooling of the earth due to differences in radiation from the sun.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Inheritance tax was raised to 80pc after WWII – could it happen again after coronavirus?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tax/inheritance/inheritance-tax-raised-80pc-wwii-could-happen-coronavirus/

They really ought not to telegraph this in advance!
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398
    TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Unsurprising figure but I'm surprised as many as 7% went for Gove too - as someone who likes Gove. Shows the unreliability of polling respondents to answer the question actually asked.

Gove and Patel simply haven't done that much that's obvious compared to the others during Boris's absence. Their departments are not as key frontline as the others.
    Nation likes person who took the risk to react quickly in what was a constructive manner. Given the usual speed of the Treasury when it comes to handing back money, it was a bloody miracle.

Because that would be an absurd and meaningless phrase that most especially anyone who knows anything about economics would laugh at.

Why would anyone say anything so silly? There are economists for and against almost any action.
    Of course, the same goes for science. As Prof Brian Cox said to Andrew Marr on Sunday:

"There’s no such thing as ‘the science’, which is a key lesson. If you hear a politician say ‘we’re following the science’, then what that means is they don’t really understand what science is. There isn’t such a thing as ‘the science’. Science is a mindset."
    I wonder if that applies to campaigners on Global Warming, where 'follow the science' is also a mantra.

Just a musing on that...

Not accepting that increasing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere will lead to the warmng of average global temperatures is not just outsider the "cloud of science" it is a hundred miles away.
    Arguing that tiny trace volumes of CO2 are the only controlling factor and what the sun is up to is a disctraction seems thousands of miles away.
    Sigh. Who argues that then? You are (not?) aware that climate models include solar output? (And many other influences, aerosols, etc, etc...) It's not just a case of looking for something that correlates with increased temperatures and cherry picking that, otherwise XR would be campaigning to increase pirate numbers.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213

Thunderbirds says a billion people could get infected...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31uj8_dEu3Q

"Why make trillions when we can make... billions?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vohNUTTx3A
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

That's a 44% increase. Saying the words "tiny trace" just makes you sound like an idiot.

Globally over decades the world is certainly outputting a lot of CO2.

The global atmospheric difference in CO2 between the UK going to net zero at a timescale like the government are proposing and the UK going at a timescale XR propose is a tiny trace difference.
    Brexiteer= Climate change denier. What a surprise. Had enough of experts? Support Brexit and any other idiots charter that is in vogue with the pseudoscience Trumpian populist right wing.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113

TGOHF666 said:

"The Telegraph has learnt that garden centres could reopen within a fortnight and local rubbish tips and recycling centres as early as this weekend under draft guidance submitted to Downing Street in recent days."

Rubbish tips should never have closed. They are essential.

Our local Council has closed its tips and is whining about people increasing fly tipping. Hey geniuses, just what on Earth did you expect people to do with their stuff that needed to go to the tip if the tip is closed. Its not rocket science.
    Has it been definatively established whether it is easier to be a brain surgeon or a rocket scientist yet?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    The selfishness and lack of humanity of some people in this story is absolutely shameful.

https://tinyurl.com/yazwyewz
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

TGOHF666 said:

"The Telegraph has learnt that garden centres could reopen within a fortnight and local rubbish tips and recycling centres as early as this weekend under draft guidance submitted to Downing Street in recent days."

Our local Council has closed its tips and is whining about people increasing fly tipping. Hey geniuses, just what on Earth did you expect people to do with their stuff that needed to go to the tip if the tip is closed. Its not rocket science.
    Suspect it's something to do with the staffing, but otherwise I agree. We're fortunate in that a chap who is trying to build a gardening business in the area has found...... and yes, we've been told where it is and shown pictures....... somewhere that will take compostable material. He can be booked to take green, i.e. garden waste for a very reasonable;le fee. Good advertising in that if we need any heavy gardening done in the future, we've got his contact details,
    Our Council are saying that only essential journeys should be done so they've closed the tip as its not essential - but getting rid of waste is essential.

Our daughter damaged her bed, I wasn't going to permit her to sleep in a bed I thought could be dangerous so I dismantled it and she shared a bed with her sister for a week until we could get a new one delivered and I could build that. But what to do with the parts for the old one? Its dangerous to leave lying around for them to mess with. Under normal circumstances I'd take it to the tip, but they're closed. Thankfully we have a garden with a shed in the corner so I've hidden the parts behind the shed until the tip reopens and I can get rid of it.

I hate fly tipping and have never done it in my life, but between risking my children's safety and fly-tipping if I lived in a flat and had no safe and legal way to get rid of my waste I can't say I wouldn't turn to fly tipping as a last resort.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

kinabalu said:

Contrary to the Header my vibes are not that lockdown is set to be eased. I am fortunate enough to have a Sir Cliff Richard calendar on the kitchen wall and I have marked the end of UK lockdown on there. 28th May. The balance of political risk steers to keeping it until then.

In his May picture, Cliff is in concert and is wearing head to toe denim. Shirt is well open, hair long, big sideburns. Quite raunchy. It catches him in what many feel to be his best period, the mid seventies. Very possible, therefore, that the song he is singing is Devil Woman (1976) - I like to think so anyway.

Miss You Nights, surely?
    I watched the video to "Daddy's Home" on Youtube last week.. and sang along! (to the title bit, I don't know the words)
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

OK let me spell it out for you, as you don't seem to be able to grasp even very simple things

"tiny trace" amounts of things can have big effects. if you cannot see that when it applies to CO2 maybe you can see it with other things, for example trace amounts of substances that can kill you.

using the words "tiny trace" to try and suggest CO2 cannot be the most important factor affecting current climate change makes you seem either totally stupid, or a troll.

The evidence is that without increases in greenhouse gases there would be if anything a slight cooling of the earth due to differences in radiation from the sun.

Look at what this horrible poison CO2 does - well according to NASA..

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth

"From a quarter to half of Earth’s vegetated lands has shown significant greening over the last 35 years largely due to rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide, according to a new study published in the journal Nature Climate Change on April 25.

An international team of 32 authors from 24 institutions in eight countries led the effort, which involved using satellite data from NASA’s Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectrometer and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer instruments to help determine the leaf area index, or amount of leaf cover, over the planet’s vegetated regions.

The greening represents an increase in leaves on plants and trees equivalent in area to two times the continental United States."
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
  • Options
    edited April 2020

The number of non-COVID deaths in care homes is significantly up.
    To me, this suggests that seriously ill people in care homes are not being moved to hospital as in the past.
    Does that say that 70% of Care home deaths weren't COVID? Cant be right if so
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242

TGOHF666 said:

Temporary closure of a facility should not automatically mean that you get an increase in antisocial or criminal behaviour. To suggest so is to excuse it. It is like saying increased unemployment excuses burglary. It doesn't. Fly tipping is for scumbags. they are beneath contempt and they should not be excused. Sounds like you have participated perhaps?
    But what do you do, if you have rubbish, nowhere to store it and the tip is closed?

• Options

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

The global atmospheric difference in CO2 between the UK going to net zero at a timescale like the government are proposing and the UK going at a timescale XR propose is a tiny trace difference.
    Brexiteer= Climate change denier. What a surprise. Had enough of experts? Support Brexit and any other idiots charter that is in vogue with the pseudoscience Trumpian populist right wing.
    What are you talking about I'm not a climate change denier. I believe in climate change and believe that we should go to net zero and not just that but lead the world in showing a sensible, safe and economically productive way to do so that would get others to follow.

Doing so will lower global atmospheric CO2 pollution more than XR destroy capitalism bullshit.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,425

Moth du Jour: Maiden's Blush, fresh in last night.

Whoa nice. It's been so cold overnight up here that I've hardly used the moth trrap. When I have just been getting Hebrew Characters and Common Quakers plus a few other rather dull noctuids. Must have another try!
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

HYUFD said:
    Needs to be over the year - is the grim reaper just plucking next winter's low hanging fruit ?

It starts in midwinter (well, before the coldest part of the year). The little spike in week 2 is the top of the winter death toll (and the dashed line shows the 5-year average).
    I guess what to look for is whether next winters deaths are lower than usual - did Covid accelerate deaths by a few months or many years. I don't know..
    Well, arguably, any virus can only "accelerate deaths" by a maximum of 70 or 80 years at the very worst.

It's way, way over the average spike. And there's no guarantee there would be a bad flu season next year, or the year afterwards.

It's killing a lot of people who would otherwise not have died. They might have been hit by a car tomorrow, or die from some other reason over the year, or decade, or two or three decades. But this is killing people who would not otherwise have died right now.

The question is, what is the average life expectancy of the people who've died from the virus?

There's been some research done on this, and the answer seems to be, certainly more than a year, and probably at least five years, even only considering the victims who are old and in poor health:
    https://www.linkedin.com/posts/covid-19-actuaries-response-group_covid-19-arg-death-row-bulletin-activity-6653226206785347584-SQnY
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779

It's not going to be 'fully contained' for years, if that.
    What ever happened to the "plucky Brits" of Brexiteers' best WW2 fantasies? Those pesky cowardly furriners are less cautious than we are!! Bring back the birch, that's what I say! Cold showers every morning. that'll toughen them up! Wasn't like this back in the 1950s!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    The much bigger butterfly moment was Eric Joyce in the bar.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Anecdote vs. data? For all we know there's been a crash a mile down the road.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    See smallpox. ;)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    edited April 2020
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

I keep talking about low hanging fruit. Here's one that's screamingly obvious:

How about we don't send people who've contracted covid-19 into care homes. An enclosed environment full of the most vulnerable people to the disease.

Might be a little more expensive, but we've got scads of empty hotels and even the emergency facilities in the Nightingale hospitals are (thank God) not yet being used. Any care home resident who has shown any symptoms or been exposed to covid-19 gets direct personal care in one of those and only returns to a care home when they are tested and confirmed completely free of any virus residue.
    No it does not seem on the face of it to be a massively difficult issue to resolve. I suppose we must be missing something.
    Institutional tardiness.
    This is still one of the operative documents... but now in the process of being updated.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-admission-and-care-of-people-in-care-homes
    ...As part of the national effort, the care sector also plays a vital role in accepting patients as they are discharged from hospital – both because recuperation is better in non-acute settings, and because hospitals need to have enough beds to treat acutely sick patients. Residents may also be admitted to a care home from a home setting. Some of these patients may have COVID-19, whether symptomatic or asymptomatic. All of these patients can be safely cared for in a care home if this guidance is followed....

The blindness and/or stupidity behind that claim is evident.
    Unbelievable. Where something which everyone regardless of politics thinks should obviously be done is NOT being done, there is usually at least a semblance of a reason for it - e.g. hidden or subtle trade offs, or very serious practical barriers - but if it's just system inertia that is utterly unacceptable. The obvious and sad thought is that these people - care residents and care workers - are valued way less than most others.
  • Options

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

That is of course true (and is totally irrelevant to the argument about whether increasing greenhouse gases are responsible for global warming, rather than changes in what the sun is up to), it isn't in itself an argument for the government proposals: the global atmospheric difference between the UK government proposals and any other kind of proposals (faster or slower) is going to be pretty small. I think all governments should be doing a lot more, that includes the UK government.
  • Options
    Most of the queue does in fairness look like work vans, lorries etc. You have to wonder if the Merc that crashed creating the back up was on an essential journey though.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    tlg86 said:

The much bigger butterfly moment was Eric Joyce in the bar.
    'Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee'.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692

Scott_xP said:
    It’s so quaint that Montgomerie and Neil act as if filling the Cabinet full of placemen wasn’t a deliberate act by Boris.

Most of them are just stupid.

Patel and Williamson both have form for national security breaches, FFS.

We have had useless Cabinets before - Brown and May the “pick” of the recent crop - but the Boris administration is the worst of my memory (which starts around 97).

Edit: Rishi does show a lot of promise.
    Sunak got his job by accident. There's a reason why he's the only semi competent one in the cabinet.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Austria is to lift all remaining restrictions on people leaving their homes as it continues the gradual easing of its lockdown, reports Justin Huggler.

From Friday, Austrians will be allowed to leave their home for any reason for the first time in seven weeks, provided they continue to observe social distancing of 1 metre (3 feet).

Previously Austrians were only allowed out for essential errands such as shopping or for exercise.

Austria was one of the first countries in Europe to begin lifting restrictions when it allowed shops to reopen two weeks ago.

So far there has been no indication the easing of measures has caused a second wave of infections.
  • Options
    This is now popping up as a banner ad in place of the old "Save the NHS" message. New messaging? Or have I just not been paying good attention?

• Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Maybe it's about time a salient fact about Covid and the UK was give more prominence - namely we are one of the fattest nations in the world and obesity is a major factor behind deaths from this disease.
  • Options
    THF all those vehicles look commercial to me.
  • Options
    DensparkDenspark Posts: 68
    RobD said:

yeah an update by the guy says it was a crash.,....
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Temporary closure of a facility should not automatically mean that you get an increase in antisocial or criminal behaviour. To suggest so is to excuse it. It is like saying increased unemployment excuses burglary. It doesn't. Fly tipping is for scumbags. they are beneath contempt and they should not be excused. Sounds like you have participated perhaps?
    I have never participated and never would I hope. But if there is no safe and legal alternative and you are desperate and have no alternative then what do you expect?

Increased unemployment WITH NO support like welfare or any alternative would cause an understandable increase in burglaries too. That is part of why we have welfare, that is why we have safety nets. I would not support eliminating welfare safety nets any more than I support eliminating tips.

We don't make martyrs out of Jean Valjean having no alternative and taking a loaf of bread in the 21st century.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    edited April 2020
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

How about we don't send people who've contracted covid-19 into care homes. An enclosed environment full of the most vulnerable people to the disease.

Might be a little more expensive, but we've got scads of empty hotels and even the emergency facilities in the Nightingale hospitals are (thank God) not yet being used. Any care home resident who has shown any symptoms or been exposed to covid-19 gets direct personal care in one of those and only returns to a care home when they are tested and confirmed completely free of any virus residue.
    No it does not seem on the face of it to be a massively difficult issue to resolve. I suppose we must be missing something.
    Institutional tardiness.
    This is still one of the operative documents... but now in the process of being updated.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-admission-and-care-of-people-in-care-homes
    ...As part of the national effort, the care sector also plays a vital role in accepting patients as they are discharged from hospital – both because recuperation is better in non-acute settings, and because hospitals need to have enough beds to treat acutely sick patients. Residents may also be admitted to a care home from a home setting. Some of these patients may have COVID-19, whether symptomatic or asymptomatic. All of these patients can be safely cared for in a care home if this guidance is followed....

Unbelievable. Where something which everyone regardless of politics thinks should obviously be done is NOT being done, there is usually at least a semblance of a reason for it - e.g. hidden or subtle trade offs, or very serious practical barriers - but if it's just system inertia that is utterly unacceptable. The obvious and sad thought is that these people - care residents and care workers - are valued way less than most others.
    A separate document "Adult Social Care Action Plan" was, to be fair, updated just over a week ago:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-adult-social-care-action-plan/covid-19-our-action-plan-for-adult-social-care
    ...1.28 The UK government with the NHS set out its plans on 17 March 2020 to free up NHS capacity via rapid discharge into the community and reducing planned care.
    1.29 Many of the individuals who will be discharged from hospital in the days and weeks ahead will be recuperating from COVID-19, some of whom will require ongoing nursing or social care. Timely discharge is important for individuals so they can recuperate in a setting appropriate for rehabilitation and recovery – and the NHS also needs to discharge people in order to maintain capacity for acutely ill patients. Any patient who does not need an NHS bed will continue to be discharged in line with the current Discharge Requirements with continued due regard to their safety and the safety of those with whom they will have contact after discharge.
    1.30 We are mindful that some care providers are concerned about being able to effectively isolate COVID-positive residents, and we are determined to make sure discharges into nursing or social care do not put residents currently in those settings at risk. We can now confirm we will move to institute a policy of testing all residents prior to admission to care homes. This will begin with all those being discharged from hospital and the NHS will have a responsibility for testing these specific patients, in advance of timely discharge. Where a test result is still awaited, the patient will be discharged and pending the result, isolated in the same way as a COVID-positive patient will be (paragraph 1.32).
    1.31 We expect that a period of specialist NHS rehabilitation and recovery will be needed for many individuals who have suffered from COVID-19, especially older people. Thanks to the successful discharge policy to date and the new Nightingale Hospitals, the NHS expects to have sufficient capacity to provide this ongoing NHS care in NHS facilities for those who require it. Given the total NHS length of stay for these individuals, most will be able to transfer directly to the appropriate social care setting with ‘COVID-free’ status....

Though I'm not entirely sure what exactly is meant by "...we will move to institute a policy of testing..."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

I still don't know the answer to this question: when it first became apparent there was an coronavirus epidemic in China, why didn't the government shut the external borders of the country, in conjunction with a strict quarantine for British people seeking to return home?

Did any Western nation do that back then?
    Italy stopped flights from China but it did not help much
    And Trump, IIRC. Which also didn't help much. Although it must have helped at least a bit. Ditto with Italy.

Thing is, closing the borders is a massive thing to do. You want to be doing that, if at all, when others are doing it too. Perhaps the enthusiasm (or not) for it is correlated to people's general view on immigration.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Andy_JS said:
    Tell it to New Zealand
  • Options
    FF43 said:

THF all those vehicles look commercial to me.
    A remarkable number of people think that the entire country works in white collar jobs. While driving a car made in the UK.....
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Though I'm not entirely sure what exactly is meant by "...we will move to institute a policy of testing..."

The enquiry into this aspect of handling the virus is going to make Iraq look like a vicar's tea party.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

I still don't know the answer to this question: when it first became apparent there was an coronavirus epidemic in China, why didn't the government shut the external borders of the country, in conjunction with a strict quarantine for British people seeking to return home?

And Trump, IIRC. Which also didn't help much. Although it must have helped at least a bit. Ditto with Italy.

Thing is, closing the borders is a massive thing to do. You want to be doing that, if at all, when others are doing it too. Perhaps the enthusiasm (or not) for it is correlated to people's general view on immigration.
    The problem with Italy's approach is that it meant visitors from China took connecting flights through elsewhere in Europe.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    kinabalu said:

'says anon cabinet minister'

The truthiness is overwhelming.
    I guess a near death experience can change someone.

Dylan's famous bike crash, for example. July 1966. After it he withdrew from the spotlight for months, eventually coming back with "John Wesley Harding" - an album that was strikingly simple and contemplative.

So a quieter, deeper, more reflective "Boris" post Covid?

I personally would like to see that - but I suspect it would cost him most of his fan base. Quiet and reflective is not what floats their boat.
    If Boris goes electric, who gets to yell "Judas"?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

The problem with Italy's approach is that it meant visitors from China took connecting flights through elsewhere in Europe.
    Probably Schipol and Heathrow :p
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    kamski said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

That is of course true (and is totally irrelevant to the argument about whether increasing greenhouse gases are responsible for global warming, rather than changes in what the sun is up to), it isn't in itself an argument for the government proposals: the global atmospheric difference between the UK government proposals and any other kind of proposals (faster or slower) is going to be pretty small. I think all governments should be doing a lot more, that includes the UK government.
    It's also quite difficult to convincingly request other countries cut back CO2 emissions if we don't bother to do so ourselves.
    And, if each country that makes a similar sized contribution to CO2 as we do follows the same logic that their personal emissions could keep up with little impact, then the whole suite of them will have a big impact.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited April 2020
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    This is a plot we don't see that often any more. I wonder why. :D
    Weekly death figuers are old news. As I am sure you are aware total mortality to date is the one true graph

I fear in a week it will no longer be god's truth anymore.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    TGOHF666 said:

It's worth looking at the Czech Republic's staged plan. Instinctively it makes some sort of sense. Someone posted it on here last night.

Could it be a framework for the UK too?
  • Options
    isam said:

To me, this suggests that seriously ill people in care homes are not being moved to hospital as in the past.
    Why not? Up to 2 months ago, it was 100%.
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

Contrary to the Header my vibes are not that lockdown is set to be eased. I am fortunate enough to have a Sir Cliff Richard calendar on the kitchen wall and I have marked the end of UK lockdown on there. 28th May. The balance of political risk steers to keeping it until then.

In his May picture, Cliff is in concert and is wearing head to toe denim. Shirt is well open, hair long, big sideburns. Quite raunchy. It catches him in what many feel to be his best period, the mid seventies. Very possible, therefore, that the song he is singing is Devil Woman (1976) - I like to think so anyway.

Miss You Nights, surely?
    I watched the video to "Daddy's Home" on Youtube last week.. and sang along! (to the title bit, I don't know the words)
    The hidden toll of lockdown on people's lives. Real people. Real lives.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

Look at what this horrible poison CO2 does - well according to NASA..

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth

"From a quarter to half of Earth’s vegetated lands has shown significant greening over the last 35 years largely due to rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide, according to a new study published in the journal Nature Climate Change on April 25.

An international team of 32 authors from 24 institutions in eight countries led the effort, which involved using satellite data from NASA’s Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectrometer and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer instruments to help determine the leaf area index, or amount of leaf cover, over the planet’s vegetated regions.

The greening represents an increase in leaves on plants and trees equivalent in area to two times the continental United States."
    Typical climate change denier - always changes the subject rather than admit that they are full of shit.

Nobody is saying CO2 is a poison. Everybody knows that increased CO2 levels can increase photosynthesis.

But have you already forgotten that you said it's changes in the sun driving global warming rather than increased greenhouse gases? Can you find something from Nasa to support that?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

I believe you've created a variant of Zeno's Paradox. Well done.

Any large thing can be broken down into small things. On their own the small things can look irrelevant and insignificant, but no big thing happens without the small things that make it up happening.

To make the big thing happen we have to do the small things. Yes, the UK is relatively small, and yes, the difference between two different policy choices we make might be even smaller, but combined with other countries making similar choices it can add up to a big difference.

And, with that, I'll head off to do some small things.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    RobD said:

All the same, when coupled with the number of people working from home, it might suggest significant chunks of the economy are hanging on in there....
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    Weekly death figuers are old news. As I am sure you are aware total mortality to date is the one true graph

Just think what we could accomplish, if some of the people occupying their spare time with trying to explain away the latest graph showing deaths rising, instead turned their statistical ingenuity towards learning and applying the rules properly.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Miss You Nights, surely?
    The hidden toll of lockdown on people's lives. Real people. Real lives.
    Haha

I watched a few Roger Waters interviews to redress the balance!
  • Options
    edited April 2020

isam said:

Because there are normally 2400, and the week in question has over 7000?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    isam said:

isam said:

That is the next question - what are the excess non-COVID deaths observed in the ONS figures caused by?

I was told by a doctor, by the way, that people were not showing up for.... dialysis appointments.

Not sure what to say about that one.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    RobD said:

Lot of commercial vehicles, too.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    isam said:

isam said:

There could well be other reasons sadly. 'Giving up' due to being separated from visiting friends and relations. Not getting (or refusing) hospital treatment due to Coronavirus.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,425

kinabalu said:

Dylan's famous bike crash, for example. July 1966. After it he withdrew from the spotlight for months, eventually coming back with "John Wesley Harding" - an album that was strikingly simple and contemplative.

I personally would like to see that - but I suspect it would cost him most of his fan base. Quiet and reflective is not what floats their boat.
    Keep it up with the Dylan references!
    I am probably his #1 fan on here.
    The danger, of course, is that Boris may follow the equally startling trajectory that took Dylan from "Street-Legal" to "Slow Train Coming".
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378

kinabalu said:

On today's evidence, TGOHF666 ...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

RobD said:

All the same, when coupled with the number of people working from home, it might suggest significant chunks of the economy are hanging on in there....
    Son-in-law, who works for a firm selling building/janitorial supplies, including industrial face makes, is busier than ever.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, re-routes and distortions. Same with the US one. That's part of why border closing should ideally be done as a bloc of countries.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

kinabalu said:

Hopefully this doesn't presage him preaching Jesus to his outraged or bemused followers at Tory Conference.
  • Options

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

I believe you've created a variant of Zeno's Paradox. Well done.

Any large thing can be broken down into small things. On their own the small things can look irrelevant and insignificant, but no big thing happens without the small things that make it up happening.

To make the big thing happen we have to do the small things. Yes, the UK is relatively small, and yes, the difference between two different policy choices we make might be even smaller, but combined with other countries making similar choices it can add up to a big difference.

And, with that, I'll head off to do some small things.
    Which was my point. We need to address our CO2 manner in a way that other countries can take inspiration from and copy. Not in a way that other countries will look at, ignore and think "we're not doing that".

The solution to climate change is research and technology. We have led the world in the development of clean wind power especially. Our power usage has gone from being coal-dominated to almost entirely eliminating coal. Clean electricity now forms most of our electricity. Other countries are looking at us using clean, cheap [to generate] electricity and thinking "why can't/shouldn't we do that?" Within a decade we could eliminate CO2 from our economic generation almost entirely.

Going down the XR route of saying "air travel is evil, cars are evil, development is evil, smash capitalism" will not lead to change elsewhere. Developing clean and economically technologies will do.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    TGOHF666 said:

Austria is to lift all remaining restrictions on people leaving their homes as it continues the gradual easing of its lockdown, reports Justin Huggler.

From Friday, Austrians will be allowed to leave their home for any reason for the first time in seven weeks, provided they continue to observe social distancing of 1 metre (3 feet).

Previously Austrians were only allowed out for essential errands such as shopping or for exercise.

Austria was one of the first countries in Europe to begin lifting restrictions when it allowed shops to reopen two weeks ago.

So far there has been no indication the easing of measures has caused a second wave of infections.

Only 3ft?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    This is grim.

https://twitter.com/fascinatorfun/status/1254890230894690304?s=20

As noted previously there are far too many crappy war analogies being thrown around, but I think the one area it applies to is the long term trauma caused by Covid 19, both in the emotional onslaught on front line medical staff and the grief caused by loved ones dying away from their families. I think it may take a long time for all that to work its way out.
  • Options
    I have been trying to buy a share price, having set up an account with a spread betting firm this morning, for three hours and a combination of bank details, commas in my address, utility bill sending, and suspected fraudulent activity has meant I still haven't managed it! What a palaver
  • Options
    Hope I'm wrong, because this is an important part of living with the virus. I don't have much confidence in the effective adoption of contact monitoring and quarantine, from what I've heard so far.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

:D
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Divvie, I agree, and would add that it works the other way too: with loved ones not visiting hospital (or being prevented from doing so) and thereby dying when they might have been saved.
  • Options
    Isn't today Ed Balls day? :o
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    RobD said:

You mean Ed Balls day is the same as Bigoted Woman day?
  • Options
    The 'bubble of ten' idea sounds great at first, but you have to think it through to create a "closed loop" of 10.

For instance my parents have 5 other immediate family they'd include on the same basis (Brother, his wife, 3 kids). That takes us to a unit of

7 for me and my other half,
    7 for my parents,
    4 for my brother.

Now if we add in my other half's parents then they'll add in their other son. That along with just my brother and his kids gets us straight to ten total contacts.

Even though my other half's brother only has his immediate parents in his bubble at the moment, he's already at ten I think ?

Now my other half's parents and my parents live miles apart so the chances of us being a vector between them are remote if we leave time between visits (As we normally do) but that's not going to be true for everyone.

That's going to be a reasonably closed loop but you can see how an effective transmission chain of way more than ten people can be instigated even if you personally think you have ten others in a mutual bubble.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    In Race for a Coronavirus Vaccine, an Oxford Group Leaps Ahead

"Scientists at the National Institutes of Health’s Rocky Mountain Laboratory in Montana last month inoculated six rhesus macaque monkeys with single doses of the Oxford vaccine. The animals were then exposed to heavy quantities of the virus that is causing the pandemic — exposure that had consistently sickened other monkeys in the lab. But more than 28 days later all six were healthy, said Vincent Munster, the researcher who conducted the test."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/world/europe/coronavirus-vaccine-update-oxford.html?smid=tw-share

A problem looming apparently is if the UK gets the infection rate too low in next few weeks, they wont be able to test here properly.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

kinabalu said:

The danger, of course, is that Boris may follow the equally startling trajectory that took Dylan from "Street-Legal" to "Slow Train Coming".
    We've Self Portrait to come first...surely he'll be removed first.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

"Scientists at the National Institutes of Health’s Rocky Mountain Laboratory in Montana last month inoculated six rhesus macaque monkeys with single doses of the Oxford vaccine. The animals were then exposed to heavy quantities of the virus that is causing the pandemic — exposure that had consistently sickened other monkeys in the lab. But more than 28 days later all six were healthy, said Vincent Munster, the researcher who conducted the test."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/world/europe/coronavirus-vaccine-update-oxford.html?smid=tw-share

A problem looming apparently is if the UK gets the infection rate too low in next few weeks, they wont be able to test here properly.

What a problem that would be to have !
  • Options

RobD said:

You mean Ed Balls day is the same as Bigoted Woman day?
    This must be one of those rare alignments of the calendars, like having thanksgiving and Hanukkah on the same day.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

Surprised Peta have not tried to grab some headlines protesting this abuse of animals.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What a problem that would be to have.
    “We’ll have to chase the epidemic,” Professor Hill said. “If it is still raging in certain states, it is not inconceivable we end up testing in the United States in November.”
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Prof Cowley is absolutely right. That pattern of that campaign had Labour in the low 30s and Tories high 30s, then the Cleggasm, before a fairly long, stable period of Labour in the high 20s, Tories mid 30s, Lib Dems mid 20s. Bigot-gate was fairly late on, right before the final leadership debate when things were very stable. It had zero perceptible effect.

It's very easy to believe that events that stick in the memory are game-changers, and to mythologise them. But often it doesn't stand up, and this is an example.

One thing I wonder about with that case, though, is how it would have played if Brown hadn't been so grovellingly apologetic. There's some question as to whether he'd have been better gambling that quite a few people were broadly sympathetic to him but thought he was rather weak in his response and voted Lib Dem. It wasn't uncommon at the time for people to say, "I know her sort... not sure about 'bigot', but 'sour old bat' wouldn't be far wrong". That might well be unfair to Mrs Duffy, by the way, who may be quite charming. But she didn't come across as that lovable a character in the exchange. Probably wouldn't have made much difference, or may have been worse, but we'll never know.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Institutional tardiness.

A separate document "Adult Social Care Action Plan" was, to be fair, updated just over a week ago:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-adult-social-care-action-plan/covid-19-our-action-plan-for-adult-social-care
    ...1.28 The UK government with the NHS set out its plans on 17 March 2020 to free up NHS capacity via rapid discharge into the community and reducing planned care.
    1.29 Many of the individuals who will be discharged from hospital in the days and weeks ahead will be recuperating from COVID-19, some of whom will require ongoing nursing or social care. Timely discharge is important for individuals so they can recuperate in a setting appropriate for rehabilitation and recovery – and the NHS also needs to discharge people in order to maintain capacity for acutely ill patients. Any patient who does not need an NHS bed will continue to be discharged in line with the current Discharge Requirements with continued due regard to their safety and the safety of those with whom they will have contact after discharge.
    1.30 We are mindful that some care providers are concerned about being able to effectively isolate COVID-positive residents, and we are determined to make sure discharges into nursing or social care do not put residents currently in those settings at risk. We can now confirm we will move to institute a policy of testing all residents prior to admission to care homes. This will begin with all those being discharged from hospital and the NHS will have a responsibility for testing these specific patients, in advance of timely discharge. Where a test result is still awaited, the patient will be discharged and pending the result, isolated in the same way as a COVID-positive patient will be (paragraph 1.32).
    1.31 We expect that a period of specialist NHS rehabilitation and recovery will be needed for many individuals who have suffered from COVID-19, especially older people. Thanks to the successful discharge policy to date and the new Nightingale Hospitals, the NHS expects to have sufficient capacity to provide this ongoing NHS care in NHS facilities for those who require it. Given the total NHS length of stay for these individuals, most will be able to transfer directly to the appropriate social care setting with ‘COVID-free’ status....

Progress of sorts then.

I'm not sure about "Thanks to the successful discharge policy to date". It seems a bit rich. Yes, patients have been "successfully discharged" - i.e. removed from hospital premises without mishap - but if they subsequently infect a care home with dozens of residents, surely the success is rather tarnished.

And "we will move to institute a policy of testing" is indeed quite a sentence. It is several buffering terms away from the clear and positive "we will start testing".
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

kinabalu said:

He'll always be remembered as "Mr Quarantine Man".
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    kle4 said:

Surprised Peta have not tried to grab some headlines protesting this abuse of animals.
    Could this experiment not be done in the UK?
  • Options

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 50% (-2)
    LAB: 33% (+2)
    LDEM: 7% (-1)
    GRN: 4% (+1)

via @RedfieldWilton, 26 Apr
    Chgs. w/ 17 Apr

The interesting thing about the Labour figure is that it's only 3 points less than the party polled the last time they won an election in 2005 (with a 66 seat majority).
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Chgs. w/ 17 Apr

The interesting thing about the Labour figure is that it's only 3 points less than the party polled the last time they won an election in 2005 (with a 66 seat majority).
    The Tory figure is slightly different, however. :D
  • Options

Is that an old white man I see?

Time to shut their operation down.
  • Options
    Perhaps because they closed their borders and imposed a strict quarantine on New Zealanders returning to the country. I don't know why we didn't do the same.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    RobD said:

Is that an old white man I see?

Time to shut their operation down.
    deleted
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Perhaps because they closed their borders and imposed a strict quarantine on New Zealanders returning to the country. I don't know why we didn't do the same.
    Read the tweet a bit more closely... :p
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Absolutely no shortage of candidates but, for me, Mark Francois. An unimaginative choice, I know, but sometimes you just have to go with Occam's razor.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    kle4 said:

Personally I think animal research where it's clearly necessary (And this is a stonkingly obvious case) should go ahead but there should be high welfare standards akin to the best zoos also in place.
    It's probably a middle ground of thinking that doesn't see much light of day amongst either PETA or the bosses of the institutions running the labs.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Thunderbirds estimate half a billion to a billion people in the developing world will be getting this shortly.
  • Options
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

Could this experiment not be done in the UK?
    Sharing the load, I guess. There is a massive world wide effort under way.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    dr_spyn said:
    Brought me very close to voting Labour for the first time in my life.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331

Thunderbirds estimate half a billion to a billion people in the developing world will be getting this shortly.
    The virus or the vaccine...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

The virus or the vaccine...
    Virus.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    RobD said:

https://twitter.com/lisa_trandy/status/1255070259624763395?s=20

Eduard Mingi is probably my favourite.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Andy_JS said:

Chgs. w/ 17 Apr

and Tony Blair......
This discussion has been closed.