Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The UK’s big Coronavirus gamble – not taking measures now that

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited March 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The UK’s big Coronavirus gamble – not taking measures now that other nations have in place

Chart from my live on #Newsnight just now. Right or wrong, there’s no doubt the UK is increasingly an outlier in our Covid response. pic.twitter.com/ZczXx8M48c

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    My company this morning telling all of us to work from home for duration.

Personally, I am very pleased with that.

My Condolences for your loss and best wishes to southam / Joff and family
  • Options
    I think I'm alone now.......
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    Floater said:

Self-isolated?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    The last column is the interesting one, in my opinion. All the others are just for show.
  • Options
    I thought this chart was discussed yesterday and shown to be dubious at best.

How different is our approach from Germany's?
  • Options
    FWIW Having reflected on it overnight I think the government's strategy is the right one long term HOWEVER once our infections/deaths go past several countries the pressure on the government will be to reverse ferret and I'm not sure Boris Johnson has the ability to stay unpopular in his locker.

So we'll get the worst of all worlds on our pandemic response.
  • Options
    FPT:

And I expect on the 4th April the season will be declared over as this crisis will still be rampaging across the world

The big question is what happens to Liverpool and the rest of promotion and relegation and european qualification
    It's a tricky question but hard to see this season not being written off and start again in August, or whenever it is safe to do so, with the leagues as they were at the beginning of this season.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936

It isn't in any meaningful way. Mike is being disingenuous by using this chart.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    All the best to you, Mike.
  • Options

FWIW Having reflected on it overnight I think the government's strategy is the right one long term HOWEVER once our infections/deaths go past several countries the pressure on the government will be to reverse ferret and I'm not sure Boris Johnson has the ability to stay unpopular in his locker.

Easy to say at your age... :smile:
  • Options

I think it's the right strategy atm and I also think it's perfectly reasonable to ramp it up when the public mood pushes in that direction.

One benefit of that approach is that when tighter lock-downs are introduced the majority should be ready to comply.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936

Unfortunately I think that might be a reasonable assessment of Boris. I hope for all our sakes we are both wrong.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

FPT:

And I expect on the 4th April the season will be declared over as this crisis will still be rampaging across the world

The big question is what happens to Liverpool and the rest of promotion and relegation and european qualification
    It's a tricky question but hard to see this season not being written off and start again in August, or whenever it is safe to do so, with the leagues as they were at the beginning of this season.
    Alternatively Euro 2020 could be cancelled/postponed to another year [international travel more an issue than domestic as it stands] and that time could be used to extend the season.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    edited March 2020
    Nigelb said:

Nah, I have underlying health conditions, I have parents in their 60s with underlying health conditions, and my kids, as a lone parent who relies on his parents to look after my kids, I'm fucking terrified.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,708
    The article says "So daily life in the UK is not that much different from before" then goes on to list many ways in which people are very much changing their behaviour. Daily life is already very different.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    I don't see the point of the Prem rescheduling to April 4th if that's the plan, nothing will have changed for the better at that point.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Nigelb said:

Nah, I have underlying health conditions, I have parents in their 60s with underlying health conditions, and my kids, as a lone parent who relies on his parents to look after my kids, I'm fucking terrified.
    Fair enough (& the :smile: was there for a reason).

My own perspective (though separated by a decade) is closer to Mike's, & I have numerous family issues, too.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    edited March 2020
    Pulpstar said:

I don't see the point of the Prem rescheduling to April 4th if that's the plan, nothing will have changed for the better at that point.

I think they are waiting for UEFA to postpone the Euros to 2021 on Tuesday, once that's confirmed, it gives the PL the the option of extending the season in to June/July/August.

With 8/9 games left, the PL can conclude the PL in 3/4 weeks with 2/3 games a week.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    edited March 2020
    Anyone who is old or has any heart or lung condition needs to go and do a big shop right now. Get a freezer like I did. It will come in two days. Get the pasta, the rice the pet food. Get a load of frozen veg , fruit and meat.

Then prepare to lock yourself away for 6 months. Dont let people in. If they have something they drop it off outside.

Buy some books, some paints and a Netflix subscription. Start being kind to your spouse. Get a bread maker too, they are ace.
  • Options

Floater said:

Self-isolated?
    Essentially my employer has told us all to stay home "for the duration"
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I think they are waiting for UEFA to postpone the Euros to 2021 on Tuesday, once that's confirmed, it gives the PL the the option of extending the season in to June/July/August.
    It seems like denying reality not to simply cancel the whole thing right now.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Pulpstar said:

They wont be playing in April but by then they might know if the summer is going to be kept for Euros or finishing domestic leagues if they can resume in June/July.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The limiting factor, unexpectedly, is the players and staff. By April they should all be clear to resume playing, with or without fans in attendance.
  • Options

FPT:

I cannot see anything but this season is over, and of course the new season may be delayed as well

I have no idea how promotion, relegation and Liverpool are resolved. I can see lots of clubs litigating and frankly a legal minefield
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,516
    edited March 2020

FPT:

Expect the row of the century over who goes up, down, cashes in, drops out etc if the season never gets completed. Starting with mighty Stevenage, likely candidate for the drop out of League 2. Forget dying old people. This is football.

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited March 2020
    This "trust the experts" mantra:

Almost all real life problems involve more than one area of expertise. As soon as you have input from more than one field somebody needs to synthesise the expert output.

In any one area, different experts often - almost always - have different views. As soon as that happens, somebody needs to discriminate.

Decisions belong to whoever they belong to. The duty of the government to decide and to choose is not delegable to experts or to anyone else.

If you think you are not bright enough to synthesise or discriminate, you may well be right, in which case leave the conversation to others who can.

The "expertise only" theory also falls into the same rabbit hole that logical positivism did. It is self-defeating because in its own terms it must be the output of experts to be valid, so you need an expertologist to validate it. But then to know whether to trust him you need an expert on expertologists. And to know whether to trust him...

True (and banal) story:

I was told 7 years ago by a competent senior consultant oncologist - as expert an expert as you get - that I should not have a colonoscopy (which he would therefore not arrange for me to have) because there was no real possibility that I had cancer.

His secretary booked the colonoscopy by mistake and I thought wtf, let's have it anyway to be on the safe side (Cries of yebbut I suppose you thought you knew better than the expert huh, and went and wasted NHS time and money).

I had cancer. I am now alive. There is no doubt at all that without that colonoscopy happening then, the disease would have progressed from stage 3 to 4 before anyone knew about it, and that would have been that.

And that isn't a freak 1 in 100,000 case which in no way invalidates the overall point, it's a banal everyday illustration of the proper way to process expert advice. Note in particular:

No suggestion he was incompetent - he was just on this occasion wrong.

His expertise is oncology, but this was a question about oncology and about my risk tolerance levels. Thanks partly to his input I know more about the *combination* of those things than he does.

His interests and mine are largely but not exactly aligned. He wants to minimise cancer in the totality of his potential patients, I want to minimise cancer in me. We therefore assign different values to me getting that colonoscopy slot.

So all in all "I suppose you think you know better than the experts" is about as intelligent a position, as saying you have had enough of them.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Bizarrely, my employer just censured a colleague for encouraging her team to work at home. Apparently it “sets a precedent”.

Meanwhile I and my division are working from home, I just didn’t bother to inform HR...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

With 8/9 games left, the PL can conclude the PL in 3/4 weeks with 2/3 games a week.
    What's going to happen then to the Club World Cup 2021 that Liverpool have already qualified for? Can't be pushed back to 2022 (real World Cup) so will either have to be cancelled or pushed back to 2023.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

It seems like denying reality not to simply cancel the whole thing right now.
    If they cancel the football season then they need to sort out who gets promoted/relegated, who gets the CL places etc.

Some of the lower league clubs are fecked if the season is cancelled.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Fair enough (& the :smile: was there for a reason).

My own perspective (though separated by a decade) is closer to Mike's, & I have numerous family issues, too.
    I know.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649

German states are gradually making the decision to close schools. Bavaria overnight, I’d be surprised if that isn’t soon followed by NRW.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

What's going to happen then to the Club World Cup 2021 that Liverpool have already qualified for? Can't be pushed back to 2022 (real World Cup) so will either have to be cancelled or pushed back to 2023.
    A massive fight between FIFA and UEFA is looming over June/July 2021.
  • Options
    At the moment I am backing the government on this. Its a lose lose scenario - whatever we do a lot of old people are going to die. So the calculation is the scale of what we are prepared to lose.

The economic damage is the real killer. Had the announcement been made that schools were starting an extended school holiday as of Monday when would they have been reopening?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

The limiting factor, unexpectedly, is the players and staff. By April they should all be clear to resume playing, with or without fans in attendance.
    If they resume playing all games should be legally streamed free on the the internet for the rest of the season or free to air with a red button to select which game to watch. Screw "rights" issues, safety comes first and people can then stay at home and watch the fixtures and not mingle in pubs and clubs to do so.
  • Options

I think it's the right strategy atm and I also think it's perfectly reasonable to ramp it up when the public mood pushes in that direction.

One benefit of that approach is that when tighter lock-downs are introduced the majority should be ready to comply.
    TBH a lot of employers in my industry are essentially circling the wagons and getting people to work from home.

• Options

Once a Lib Dem... :-)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182
    Nigelb said:

How many governments are going to be up front about that kind of choice ?
    And would it be a valid choice if you were to make it covertly while insisting you're doing otherwise ?

If such a policy were presented falsely as a "minimize 2020 deaths" approach that would IMO be a black lie not a white one.

A big burning question I have is on the vaccine. I keep hearing a debate about the timing of it being available. No chance of earlier than 2021 is the consensus.

Implication is that it is just a matter of time. If not 2021 then probably 2022.

If this is the case - high degree of confidence that a vaccine will be ready to roll at some point in the next couple of years - my sense is that the markets are getting close to being oversold now.

But is this the case? Are we usually able to come up with vaccines for these things?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    edited March 2020

Why?

The ideal is that our elderly hide at home and the rest of us have horrible weeks in bed and don't trouble hospitals too much

If pressure on hospitals grows sharply (either too many seriously ill young people, or oldies taking too many risks) then we lock down. Rinse and repeat

Edit/ the strategy surely requires a lockdown at the end anyway, so it is safe for those in isolation to emerge
  • Options

FPT:

I cannot see anything but this season is over, and of course the new season may be delayed as well

I have no idea how promotion, relegation and Liverpool are resolved. I can see lots of clubs litigating and frankly a legal minefield
    I am sure the Court of Appeal and the QBD have nothing more useful to do than hear endless litigation about kicking a ball around. Maybe we should give them jurisdiction over LBW decisions during Ashes series as well.

• Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

At the moment I am backing the government on this. Its a lose lose scenario - whatever we do a lot of old people are going to die. So the calculation is the scale of what we are prepared to lose.

The economic damage is the real killer. Had the announcement been made that schools were starting an extended school holiday as of Monday when would they have been reopening?

Yes, health considerations is not the only metric. Economic disruption and curtailments of our freedom are in the mix too.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Almost all real life problems involve more than one area of expertise. As soon as you have input from more than one field somebody needs to synthesise the expert output.

In any one area, different experts often - almost always - have different views. As soon as that happens, somebody needs to discriminate.

Decisions belong to whoever they belong to. The duty of the government to decide and to choose is not delegable to experts or to anyone else.

If you think you are not bright enough to synthesise or discriminate, you may well be right, in which case leave the conversation to others who can.

The "expertise only" theory also falls into the same rabbit hole that logical positivism did. It is self-defeating because in its own terms it must be the output of experts to be valid, so you need an expertologist to validate it. But then to know whether to trust him you need an expert on expertologists. And to know whether to trust him...

True (and banal) story:

I was told 7 years ago by a competent senior consultant oncologist - as expert an expert as you get - that I should not have a colonoscopy (which he would therefore not arrange for me to have) because there was no real possibility that I had cancer.

His secretary booked the colonoscopy by mistake and I thought wtf, let's have it anyway to be on the safe side (Cries of yebbut I suppose you thought you knew better than the expert huh, and went and wasted NHS time and money).

I had cancer. I am now alive.

And that isn't a freak 1 in 100,000 case which in no way invalidates the overall point, it's a banal everyday illustration of the proper way to process expert advice. Note in particular:

His expertise is oncology, but this was a question about oncology and about my risk tolerance levels. Thanks partly to his input I know more about the *combination* of those things than he does.

His interests and mine are largely but not exactly aligned. He wants to minimise cancer in the totality of his potential patients, I want to minimise cancer in me. We therefore assign different values to me getting that colonoscopy slot.

So all in all "I suppose you think you know better than the experts" is about as intelligent a position, as saying you have had enough of them.

For individuals to choose a different path than the experts for their own risk appetite is completely fine.

But if person C has to accept the advice of person A (CMO with all his resources) or person B the case for B has to be remarkably strong before there is a rational reason for C to choose their advice.

It would be the equivalent of a friend of yours potentially needing a colonoscopy and you deciding for them instead of letting the oncologist decide.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

This will not be over by mid summer, indeed I expect the start of next season to be delayed

Football is over until the autumn if not further
  • Options

If the schools closed think of the knock on effect on NHS as staff have to look after kids
  • Options

The more I look at that chart, the more despicable, I think it is:

1. Countries only seem to have been included if their entry can have Xs added (where are The Netherlands, Sweden, Belgium, Canada, Switzerland, Australia, etc. etc.

2. The X's (and certainly the x's) don't seem to be consistent and often relate to individual decisions taken by mayors/governors of specific regions.

3. Conversely, the UK's approach of closing affected schools, cancelling mass gatherings in some regions (e.g. Scotland) doesn't warrant an x for some reason.

The chart is just populist rabble-rousing of the worse kind imo.

It's just a chart to illustrate the point we are taking a different approach to most. That is undoubtedly true.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Presumably until Easter, which is three weeks away, or have kids back just after Easter Monday.

But the issue is then, could you close them if needed post Easter, after having 5 weeks off.

Closing them now is too soon. I agree with the Government 100% on this.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

FPT:

I am sure the Court of Appeal and the QBD have nothing more useful to do than hear endless litigation about kicking a ball around. Maybe we should give them jurisdiction over LBW decisions during Ashes series as well.

All those contracts signed by the clubs with the leagues and sponsors etc are generally governed under English law.

I'm not sure LBW decisions are governed under English law.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Sobering story upthread.

Ten years ago my then-75 year old father collapsed, and the doctors advised my mother there was no point in resuscitation.

She insisted otherwise.

Ten years later my father seems healthier than ever.
    Sadly though my mother died not long after the incident above, from a cancer that was not diagnosed until too late.

Doctors have to make judgments, and these are not infallible.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

FPT:

All those contracts signed by the clubs with the leagues and sponsors etc are generally governed under English law.

Exactly. A way has to be found to end this season, even if its delayed until the summer/autumn then the following season's start gets delayed etc - we're relatively so close to the end already that it'd be insane not to do so.

And Liverpool are relatively minor in this. Liverpool are champions elect already everybody knows that. It matters far, far more for clubs like West Ham and West Brom etc
  • Options
    oh ffs

The Basingstoke Gazette reports that it was told by an employee of Basingstoke and North Hampshire hospital that the woman, who was showing coronavirus symptoms, was moved into a ward with critically unwell women.

According to the paper:

The unwell patient remained on the ward around critically ill people for hours until results revealed she had coronavirus. Nurses in normal uniform and without protective gear moved her.

The member of staff contacted this newspaper after being appalled by the practice which they claim will lead to a ‘dangerous spread’ of the disease and warns the hospital is on the brink of an outbreak.

Now a patient who was forced to temporarily share the ward with the Covid-19 sufferer is displaying symptoms of the disease.

You can read more on the Basingstoke Gazette website.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

A massive fight between FIFA and UEFA is looming over June/July 2021.
    UEFA clearly win here. I dont know if they have to pay FIFA something to make it happen but fans and TV want the Euros not a new club trophy.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Bizarrely, my employer just censured a colleague for encouraging her team to work at home. Apparently it “sets a precedent”.

Meanwhile I and my division are working from home, I just didn’t bother to inform HR...

Every organisation seems to have its share of idiots in authority.
  • Options
    Daily Mail front page - government advice is marvellous.
    Daily Mail email to staff - government advice not good enough, we're going further
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

True (and banal) story:

I had cancer. I am now alive.

For individuals to choose a different path than the experts for their own risk appetite is completely fine.

But if person C has to accept the advice of person A (CMO with all his resources) or person B the case for B has to be remarkably strong before there is a rational reason for C to choose their advice.

It would be the equivalent of a friend of yours potentially needing a colonoscopy and you deciding for them instead of letting the oncologist decide.
    That misses the point. Risk appetite is just one variable, in this particular case. Other variables (hundreds of them) are available. And, anyway, in the case in question, nobody could have given *worse* advice than the expert. There is a reason why what you pay your doctor or lawyer or stockbroker for is called "advice" not "instructions". And that's despite the fact that the desired outcomes in those cases - health, wealth, not being in prison - are pretty easily defined. You can't do that in one word answers for desired outcomes of the present crisis.
  • Options
    I note the advice is for a "New and persistent cough". One of my colleagues has had a cough for the last two years !
  • Options

algarkirk said:

FPT:

Exactly. A way has to be found to end this season, even if its delayed until the summer/autumn then the following season's start gets delayed etc - we're relatively so close to the end already that it'd be insane not to do so.

And Liverpool are relatively minor in this. Liverpool are champions elect already everybody knows that. It matters far, far more for clubs like West Ham and West Brom etc
    I simply cannot see it.

I can understand some wanting it to be different but in the scheme of things football cannot be a consideration
  • Options

algarkirk said:

FPT:

Anyone laying Liverpool and hoping for a 20 way dead heat?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited March 2020
    Floater said:

Once a Lib Dem... :-)
    A LibDem bar chart is good analogy for the graphic.

It is has a more than nodding acquaintanceship with dishonesty without being actually downright mendacious.
  • Options

1. Countries only seem to have been included if their entry can have Xs added (where are The Netherlands, Sweden, Belgium, Canada, Switzerland, Australia, etc. etc.

2. The X's (and certainly the x's) don't seem to be consistent and often relate to individual decisions taken by mayors/governors of specific regions.

3. Conversely, the UK's approach of closing affected schools, cancelling mass gatherings in some regions (e.g. Scotland) doesn't warrant an x for some reason.

Worthy of the Guardian, C4 News and the Pyongyang Times (helpfully available online BTW; today's big news "Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un guides live fire competition of KPA Corps Artillery Units".)

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    This may have been shared, but if you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend that you do. Tour-de-force in applying pressure successfully.
    https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1238155454108151808
  • Options

algarkirk said:

FPT:

Really? There's prolly a contract for a test series which says 5 matches shall be played under the Laws of Cricket - incorporation by reference.
  • Options

It's just a chart to illustrate the point we are taking a different approach to most. That is undoubtedly true.
    Every country is taking a slightly different approach to every other country.
  • Options

My son is starting 7 days self isolation as his mum has all the symptoms (won't be C19 she's just ill). College very clear that he needs to stay home, here's work (A-Levels in a few months...).

My son's boyfriend? His parents don't like him anyway, have told him to not be neurotic and go to (a different) college who have told him they don't want him there.

Despite the strategy being sound, there are plenty of idiots out there.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Anyone who is old or has any heart or lung condition needs to go and do a big shop right now. Get a freezer like I did. It will come in two days. Get the pasta, the rice the pet food. Get a load of frozen veg , fruit and meat.

Then prepare to lock yourself away for 6 months. Dont let people in. If they have something they drop it off outside.

Buy some books, some paints and a Netflix subscription. Start being kind to your spouse. Get a bread maker too, they are ace.

Your bread will lack moral fibre if you don't hand kneed.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    Singapore introduces new "social distancing" measures:

*From 11.59pm on Sunday (March 15), all new visitors who had been to Italy, France, Spain and Germany within the last 14 days will not be allowed entry or transit.

*With immediate effect, Singapore will cease port calls for all cruise vessels.

* All ticketed cultural, sports and entertainment events, with 250 participants or more, must be deferred or cancelled. For events that have already been committed to, organisers must demonstrate that satisfactory precautionary measures have been put in place before they can proceed.

* For gatherings, organisers should reduce crowding and improve ventilation. For example, participants could be seated at least 1m apart from one another, and reduce contact such as by not shaking hands.

* Employers should put in place measures to reduce close contact, such as implementing tele-commuting and video-conferencing, staggering work hours and allowing staff to commute at off-peak hours.

* At public venues, measures to reduce close contact could include seats set at least a metre apart at dining venues, while entertainment venues and tourist attractions such as casinos, cinemas, theme parks, museums and galleries could limit the number of visitors at any one time and increase spacing among visitors.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/covid-19-singapore-rolls-out-more-measures-including-limiting-where-possible-the

Schools still open.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I note the advice is for a "New and persistent cough". One of my colleagues has had a cough for the last two years !

It turns out LuckyGuy's advice on no account to stop smoking is 1% less insane than it sounds, because a dry persistent cough is exactly what you get for 3 or 4 weeks after stopping.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

True (and banal) story:

I had cancer. I am now alive. There is no doubt at all that without that colonoscopy happening then, the disease would have progressed from stage 3 to 4 before anyone knew about it, and that would have been that.

I do modelling similar to what is being done here for a living.

It is complex and there is likely to be incredible uncertainty. This is a judgement call and it has been made. We will all have to deal with that the best way we can.

But we should all be clear about how we should be protecting ourselves.

Public health guidance is couched to be targeted at the average person in the population. I think, on the whole, most people on here are slightly better informed.

As you know, what is going to happen is extremely serious and I urge everyone if they haven't yet taken this seriously to start doing their own individualised plan. Don't trust the government to act in your own best interests, they are simply now counting numbers, like they counted the numbers of Tommys during WW1.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

FPT:

Really? There's prolly a contract for a test series which says 5 matches shall be played under the Laws of Cricket - incorporation by reference.
    Our entire lives are governed by English law; and the entire practice of normal people is to keep well out of English law and litigation's way. This is mostly done by playing nicely, reaching sensible agreements and keeping a sense of proportion.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Your last sentence beggars belief... No way will all players and staff be clear by April. Those that are currently infected may well be but the 99% of players and staff will be contracting this from elsewhere on a rolling basis.
  • Options

It is true but as you say designed to illustrate a pre conceived point. The BBC should be showing a neutrally put together chart, and that would look different as pointed out above. Using misleading charts to exaggerate a valid point may just about be appropriate for companies or political parties, but its definitely not appropriate for the BBC charter of informing and educating.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2020
    Well the government have made a huge call, they clearly don't think a vaccine is possible in the next few years (if at all) and that this will now be seasonal.

The UK will be either held up as the example of how it should have been done or exactly the opposite and on a political level the Tories will be finished.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

FPT:

Our entire lives are governed by English law; and the entire practice of normal people is to keep well out of English law and litigation's way. This is mostly done by playing nicely, reaching sensible agreements and keeping a sense of proportion.

You don't understand, some clubs will go out of business if the season is cancelled/postponed.

You'll be damn sure they'll try every legal route to stop that happening.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,884
    Maybe the cabinet minister appearing on Newsnight could have made that point during the program.

Oh...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956
    edited March 2020

Well the government have made a huge call, they clearly don't think a vaccine is possible in the near term and that this will now be seasonal.

The UK will be either held up as the example of how it should have been done or exactly the opposite and on a political level the Tories will be finished.

If the other way didn't work the Tories would be equally finished - there is no right or wrong way here, it's just a matter of determining which computer model looks most plausible.

This Slowly, slowly catchy monkey approach makes sense to me as I suspect current lock downs for 2-4 weeks will actually be 2-4 months minimum.
  • Options
    This interesting thread is reasonably consistent with our government's current line.

Epidemiologists are really enjoying their day in the sun!

• Options

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Your last sentence beggars belief... No way will all players and staff be clear by April. Those that are currently infected may well be but the 99% of players and staff will be contracting this from elsewhere on a rolling basis.
    Fair point - I guess it depends what the clubs tell the players and staff. They might put them in lockdown themselves with the exception of playing games (though they do have to stay in hotels for away games). Alternatively by April, it might be accepted that this is going to spread, and that they'll just play anyway.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192
    Anorak said:

This may have been shared, but if you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend that you do. Tour-de-force in applying pressure successfully.
    https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1238155454108151808

Demolition job.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    edited March 2020

Well the government have made a huge call, they clearly don't think a vaccine is possible in the next few years (if at all) and that this will now be seasonal.

what gets me is Boris's insistence that he's using the science.....or is he just lying like he is naturally prone to do because the science I am reading is that you need to reduce social contact as much as possible
  • Options

algarkirk said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

FPT:

You don't understand, some clubs will go out of business if the season is cancelled/postponed.

Agreement and cooperation will work best.

• Options
    eek said:

Well the government have made a huge call, they clearly don't think a vaccine is possible in the near term and that this will now be seasonal.

If the other way didn't work the Tories would be equally finished - there is no right or wrong way here, it's just a matter of determining which computer model looks most plausible.

This Slowly, slowly catchy monkey approach makes sense to me as I suspect current lock downs for 2-4 weeks will actually be 2-4 months minimum.
    I don't think they would be finished if they had taken the politically easier path of following the herd. If it turned out bad, they would be able to say unfortunately this was a horrific once in a century event and we followed the rest of the world.
  • Options

Any recommendations for books, films, mini series very welcome!

Aside from the obvious, Better Call Saul, The Sinner, Money Heist, Ozarks, Occupied, Nobel, Victim Number 8.
  • Options
    tyson said:

what gets me is Boris's insistence that he's using the science.....or is he just lying like he is naturally prone to do because the science I am reading is that you need to reduce social contact as much as possible
    There are many branches of science.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256

Well they have to work somewhere
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

This interesting thread is reasonably consistent with our government's current line.

Epidemiologists are really enjoying their day in the sun!

I know. Last year it was international trade experts who could get their tweets shared by 1000s. This year it is epidemiologists.
  • Options
    As I understand it there is no vaccine for SARS (2003) MERS (2012) or indeed HIV (1980s), despite people looking for them. Why is it not magical thinking to be discussing which quarter of 2021 is going to bring us a Covid vaccine?
  • Options

algarkirk said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

FPT:

Or each player in the top 6 clubs could donate 1 weeks salary to the EFL clubs and everything would be hunky dory.....
  • Options
    Bizarre decision by the Premier League. Good money no football goes ahead in early April anyway.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    tyson said:

I am no fan of Boris and is lying and self centred nature. However, I genuinely believe if him and Big Dom were trying to plot a totally different course to the two egg-heads leading this, they would be making it clear this isn't their decision.

If I was an academic in their position and the PM just binned all our recommendations, there is no way you go over the waterfall in their boat.

Instead, again this morning they are out front and centre saying herd immunity is the policy we have decided after modelling this since start of January.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339
    IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

It turns out LuckyGuy's advice on no account to stop smoking is 1% less insane than it sounds, because a dry persistent cough is exactly what you get for 3 or 4 weeks after stopping.
    I didn't.. I just get more colds
  • Options
    Liverpool denied the earliest Premier League victory ever record they were on the way to smashing.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    tyson said:

(Free) people can’t be locked up indefinitely. Do it too early and you risk people losing the will to isolate right at the peak of the outbreak.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Maybe the cabinet minister appearing on Newsnight could have made that point during the program.

Oh...
    The BBC has a remit to be fair and accurate. Ministers are accountable to parliament, all of whose proceedings are public, and voters, not to imitators of the Pyongyang Times masquerading as news organisations.

• Options

algarkirk said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

FPT:

Or each player in the top 6 clubs could donate 1 weeks salary to the EFL clubs and everything would be hunky dory.....
    Wouldn't scratch the surface. Players are well paid but not that well paid.
  • Options

It is true but as you say designed to illustrate a pre conceived point. The BBC should be showing a neutrally put together chart, and that would look different as pointed out above. Using misleading charts to exaggerate a valid point may just about be appropriate for companies or political parties, but its definitely not appropriate for the BBC charter of informing and educating.
    There is no neutrality necessary. We are objectively taking a different strategy to other countries.

Why are you getting so hung up about a chart which makes that objective point on Newsnight? If the viewer comes away from that segment informed that we are taking a different strategy to most other countries, then they have correctly been informed.

I can't help but think a lot of the armchair armchair critics on here are just undertaking some displacement activity to occupy theirs minds rather than focusing on the train-crash heading our way.

It doesn't matter what Newsnight really says or does. But it would likely be a far better use of time now discussing what micro plans all our communities, families, schools, hospitals should be putting together given the master plan and framework the government has decided upon.
This discussion has been closed.