Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Away from the virus and WH2020 – a Twitter thread with several

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:
    54% are doing "nothing"

JFC. Not even washing their hands more.

That's why we need the government banging on and on, on the TV, telling everyone this is serious. It doesn't matter if they fecking panic. Just get them to wash their hands

If they can put together a love actually ad in a day, they really should have managed to put together a simple public awareness one. It doesn't need to be Roger greatest work, a simple animated one wash your sodding hands, if you have these symptoms bloody stay at home...
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    eadric said:

Philip Thompson is right. You are ignoring the permanent damage a shock like this will do (even if, please God, it is brief)

Lots of businesses will fold, for good. They can't suddenly come back to life. Inflation will spike, also = trouble. Even when the virus is done there will be grieving, and prolonged health issues = subdued economic activity. Travel will be unpopular for a loooong time

This will have many many ripple effects, economically, and nearly all of them will be negative.

I do hate to be constantly gloomy (I wish I could be otherwise) but I see no basis for cheery optimism.

Again, our biggest hope is sunshine. Colds hate the warm. Bring on the bloody sunshine.

I might as well pour some petrol on Eadric's fire....

If the mortality rate is 2% - 4% (choose your favourite) then with about 100 regular posters here on PB, we can expect 2 - 4 to pop their clogs.

Perhaps you could pontificate for us?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,921
    eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:
    I bow to no-one in my scepticism in the current world economic model (America borrows from China to buy goods from China which then lends the money it made by selling the goods to America...), but really, a slowdown of this type is not *that* serious.

When the coronavirus pandemic finishes (and it will finish*), then economic activity will bounce back. I also have little doubt that governments will use the slowdown as an excuse to get the printing presses revved up again, and monetisation of government debt will go full throttle.

* I make no forecast when this will be, and I don't mean to minimise the seriousness of this, but at some point it will be over.
    Philip Thompson is right. You are ignoring the permanent damage a shock like this will do (even if, please God, it is brief)

Lots of businesses will fold, for good. They can't suddenly come back to life. Inflation will spike, also = trouble. Even when the virus is done there will be grieving, and prolonged health issues = subdued economic activity. Travel will be unpopular for a loooong time

This will have many many ripple effects, economically, and nearly all of them will be negative.

I do hate to be constantly gloomy (I wish I could be otherwise) but I see no basis for cheery optimism.

Again, our biggest hope is sunshine. Colds hate the warm. Bring on the bloody sunshine.

If you are correct, it will be very good for the environment.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1234529025827184640?s=09

Only 16% think the government is handling it badly

And they're all on here whinging endlessly as they do about everything. The LDs are desperate to use it as a stop Brexit ploy.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Does anything other than the virus situation genuinely really matter at the moment?

Currently, I honestly couldn't give a crap if Patel shouts and swears at her staff or what the Labour Leadership losers are up to.

Picard. That show is warming up nicely.
    The first episode was god awful. Have not ventured further
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

eadric said:

If the mortality rate is 2% - 4% (choose your favourite) then with about 100 regular posters here on PB, we can expect 2 - 4 to pop their clogs.

I'd suggest that given the demographics of this site you'd be looking 5 times that mortality rate.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,201
    edited March 2020

eadric said:

Actually given the age/sex profile its probably worse than that.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,706
    Daniel Sturridge banned from football for 4 months, fined 150k and loses his £3 million a year job (approx £7m left on contract) for providing a losing tip to his brother on a market bookies normally have a max bet of sub £100.

Not sure where to start with that one!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253

eadric said:

HYUFD said:
    54% are doing "nothing"

That's why we need the government banging on and on, on the TV, telling everyone this is serious. It doesn't matter if they fecking panic. Just get them to wash their hands

If they can put together a love actually ad in a day, they really should have managed to put together a simple public awareness one. It doesn't need to be Roger greatest work, a simple animated one wash your sodding hands, if you have these symptoms bloody stay at home...
    https://urbanisthanoi.com/hanoi-music-art/16385-video-this-v-pop-song-about-coronavirus-is-going-viral
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Does anything other than the virus situation genuinely really matter at the moment?

Currently, I honestly couldn't give a crap if Patel shouts and swears at her staff or what the Labour Leadership losers are up to.

Are you on crack?

The final scene in the first episode had me reaching for a cigarette.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,478
    About that graph showing the Spanish flu in Philadelphia everyone keeps posting....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/02/29/1918-flu-coronavirus-trump/
    For example, in Philadelphia, local officials were planning the largest parade in the city’s history. Just before the scheduled event, about 300 returning soldiers started spreading the virus in the city.

“And basically every doctor, they were telling reporters the parade shouldn’t happen. The reporters were writing the stories; editors were killing them,” he said. “The Philadelphia papers wouldn’t print anything about it.”

The parade was held and, 48 hours later, Spanish flu slammed the city. Even once schools were closed and public gatherings were banned, city officials claimed it wasn’t a public health measure and there was no cause for alarm, Barry said.
    Philadelphia became one of the hardest hit areas of the country. The dead lay in their beds and on the streets for days; eventually, they were buried in mass graves....
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Does anybody actually believe the +4 figure announced today?
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,730

eadric said:

HYUFD said:
    54% are doing "nothing"

Yeah, but that was the political campaign which is a small organisation with a single focus. This one has to be done by the Civil Service so you'll need endless meetings discussing if it should be done by NHS England, or the Dept for Health or a new project team from the Government Communication Service...
  • Options

eadric said:

HYUFD said:
    54% are doing "nothing"

Whilst the PM has clearly jumped on board the wash your hands instructions and will (rightly) repeat them in every interview, I am guessing he hasnt changed his habits at all.
  • Options

Daniel Sturridge banned from football for 4 months, fined 150k and loses his £3 million a year job (approx £7m left on contract) for providing a losing tip to his brother on a market bookies normally have a max bet of sub £100.

The commission found he had instructed his brother Leon to bet on a possible move to Spanish side Sevilla, and that he had given him inside information during the January 2018 transfer window.

Shakes head in disbelief.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Is there any reason not to?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:
    Yeah, where’s the black eye?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Yes.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

eadric said:

I'd suggest that given the demographics of this site you'd be looking 5 times that mortality rate.
    Perhaps we should all start wearing protective herbs about our persons?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

eadric said:

The thing is, there still seems to be a huge amount guesswork involved.
  • Options

The commission found he had instructed his brother Leon to bet on a possible move to Spanish side Sevilla, and that he had given him inside information during the January 2018 transfer window.

Poor lad, he thought he was heading to sunny Spain and he actually moved to the shit hole that is West Bromwich.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717

Even in moments of historical near societal collapse other things besides the ongoing tragedy did happen. As we're not at that stage then yes, other stuff does matter. Probably not everything we think matters, but then that was the case before the virus.
  • Options

Incredibly stupid of him. The impact is completely disproportionate to the "crime" though. This is not high level match fixing or the equivalent of insider share dealing. He/his brother might have made a few hundred quid at best and would have ended up losing as the move never took place. The only people "harmed" would have been the bookmakers who would presumably be more than happy to pay far more than a few hundred quid to have an incredibly stupid multi millionaire who likes betting as their client.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,846
    edited March 2020
    On Topic Tim, SO & DH FFS not a single party member musing on Lab unless SO is on his 3rd Okeeeey Cokeeeey.
  • Options
    Supermarket giant Tesco will issue 600,000 new Clubcards to customers due to a security issue.

The company believe a collection of stolen data from another organisation have been utilised in order to try to gain access to up to 620,000 Clubcard accounts.

Those impacted by the matter were sent an email by Tesco to make them aware of the issue.

Additionally, Tesco has cancelled all affected vouchers.

Tesco maintains that no financial information was accessed and that their platform was not hacked and that their decision was taken as a precaution.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-02/tesco-to-issue-600-000-new-clubcards-over-security-issue/
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,358
    edited March 2020
    Paging @ydoethur, you need to update your syllabus.

https://twitter.com/jhallwood/status/1234406114130788354
  • Options

The lack of cases is illogical unless fewer Brits were in Italy, Iran etc than the rest of Europe. Testing doesn’t stop you getting it while you are abroad so do Brits have better hygiene standards than Spain France or Germany ?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

It's no different to an accountant or lawyer providing insider information to a family member. The personal punishment is huge compared to the personal gain, but it has to be in this case for the system to have any chance of keeping some integrity. The foolishness is his, not theirs who punished him.
  • Options

DavidL said:

eadric said:

The thing is, there still seems to be a huge amount guesswork involved.
    Undoubtedly but this chart shows a very strong correlation with age: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

And the increased vulnerability of men is also reasonably clear

SEX
    DEATH RATE
    confirmed cases
    DEATH RATE
    all cases
    Male
    4.7%
    2.8%
    Female
    2.8%
    1.7%

And, according to posts on here we have a pretty high percentage with complicating conditions.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,938
    eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:
    I bow to no-one in my scepticism in the current world economic model (America borrows from China to buy goods from China which then lends the money it made by selling the goods to America...), but really, a slowdown of this type is not *that* serious.

When the coronavirus pandemic finishes (and it will finish*), then economic activity will bounce back. I also have little doubt that governments will use the slowdown as an excuse to get the printing presses revved up again, and monetisation of government debt will go full throttle.

* I make no forecast when this will be, and I don't mean to minimise the seriousness of this, but at some point it will be over.

If a restaurant fails, that's not much fun for the people who invested their life savings in it. But the equipment is still there ready to be used. The total amount of work the economy is capable of doing has barely changed.

You also need to remember that because this disease will disproportionately affect those who are old and not working, it will improve the dependency ratio. Which is good for longer-term economic growth.

Worth looking at the immediate aftermath of the Spanish flu: the world economy bounced back pretty quickly.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    nichomar said:

The lack of cases is illogical unless fewer Brits were in Italy, Iran etc than the rest of Europe. Testing doesn’t stop you getting it while you are abroad so do Brits have better hygiene standards than Spain France or Germany ?
    Its a single day, tomorrow could reveal a big jump (and more than likely will). It is all about the trend and why things like bayesian modelling approaches should be for analysing these kind of things.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

There is the “superspreader” hypothesis - that some people are, for reasons not entirely clear (see link), responsible for most of the transmission. Thus the ski chalet guy, and the couple who returned to Italy from China, kicked off a chain of infections, whereas other people haven’t.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/27/what-are-super-spreaders-and-how-are-they-transmitting-coronavirus

In which case PB’ers simply need to identify whether we have a superspreader among our number...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,533
    Number of UK cases drops from 40 to 39 due to a "false positive".
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Panic over.
  • Options
    Useful data and graphs on this page.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Options
    Alistair said:

This will be a petty thing, but I find the level of swearing in it over the top. Not because I'm against swearing, I watched Deadwood for crying out loud, but hearing the Commander in Chief of Starfleet dropping the f bomb just feels weird to me.

And while starfleet always had corrupt admirals and the Federation not so much of a utopia as it seemed, the Federation of Picard hardly seems worth defending as a good society even.

Which is probably part of the point, I suppose, but it's not making me jump up and down in excitement.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Andecdata. At London City airport. Very quiet. Flights about half full.
  • Options
    Oh Christ.

A former aide to Priti Patel received a £25,000 payout from the government after claiming she was bullied by the then employment minister.

Legal correspondence seen by the BBC alleges the woman took an overdose of prescription medicine following the alleged incident in 2015.

The DWP did not admit liability and the case did not come before a tribunal.
  • Options

On Topic Tim, SO & DH FFS not a single party member musing on Lab unless SO is on his 3rd Okeeeey Cokeeeey.

Are you full Burgon?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The false positive is actually really good news as it was a doctor at a hospital.
  • Options
    eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

If a restaurant fails, that's not much fun for the people who invested their life savings in it. But the equipment is still there ready to be used. The total amount of work the economy is capable of doing has barely changed.

You also need to remember that because this disease will disproportionately affect those who are old and not working, it will improve the dependency ratio. Which is good for longer-term economic growth.

Worth looking at the immediate aftermath of the Spanish flu: the world economy bounced back pretty quickly.
    That's encouraging, but in 1918 the world was much less globalised, and services weren't as important, and the travel industry wasn't as salient.

Travel and tourism accounts for 10% of global GDP. It's gonna get wiped out for 6 months, maybe more. That's big

Will Boeing survive? They've had an extraordinarily rough year already.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    IanB2 said:

WHO Director-General, earlier today: If this was an influenza epidemic, we would have expected to see widespread community transmission across the globe by now, and efforts to slow it down or contain it would not be feasible. But containment of COVID-19 is feasible and must remain the top priority for all countries.“

Ace news.
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:
    54% are doing "nothing"

Yes
    Nigelb said:

About that graph showing the Spanish flu in Philadelphia everyone keeps posting....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/02/29/1918-flu-coronavirus-trump/
    For example, in Philadelphia, local officials were planning the largest parade in the city’s history. Just before the scheduled event, about 300 returning soldiers started spreading the virus in the city.

“And basically every doctor, they were telling reporters the parade shouldn’t happen. The reporters were writing the stories; editors were killing them,” he said. “The Philadelphia papers wouldn’t print anything about it.”

The parade was held and, 48 hours later, Spanish flu slammed the city. Even once schools were closed and public gatherings were banned, city officials claimed it wasn’t a public health measure and there was no cause for alarm, Barry said.
    Philadelphia became one of the hardest hit areas of the country. The dead lay in their beds and on the streets for days; eventually, they were buried in mass graves....

Good find.

• Options
    DavidL said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

That's encouraging, but in 1918 the world was much less globalised, and services weren't as important, and the travel industry wasn't as salient.

Travel and tourism accounts for 10% of global GDP. It's gonna get wiped out for 6 months, maybe more. That's big

I'd have thought that the US Govt would bail them out if needed. DYOR obviously
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,183

The latest allegation, as reported on the 5PM Radio 4 programme, is that while at the DWP, she so bullied a member of her staff that said staff member tried to commit suicide and was later given a payoff. That sounds pretty serious to me.

The state of the main opposition party does matter. Our democracy has been degraded as a result of having such a poor opposition. Let us hope that this changes soon.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

I wouldn't be going anywhere near an airline or plane manufacturer right now.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Italy update

2036 infected since the beginning of the outbreak

149 healed
    52 dead

166 in intensive care
    742 in hospital
    927 isolated at home

Regional breakdown

1.077 cases in Lombardia
    324 in Emilia Romagna
    271 in Veneto
    51 in Piemonte
    34 Marche
    18 in Liguria
    17 in Campania
    12 in Toscana
    9 in Friuli Venezia Giulia
    5 Sicilia
    4 Lazio
    5 Abruzzo
    4 Puglia
    2 Umbria
    1 Bolzano
    1 Calabria
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Are you full Burgon?
    Nandy and Butler
  • Options

What could show more commitment to Labour than joining in multiple times?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,302
    Are we missing that Warren is now routinely polling a solid third now, clearly ahead of Bloomberg in both states and nationals?

Her price in the 60s for the nomination and 130s for the presidency looks value to me, not least because she could reap a bigger chunk of delegates than him and then her price will come in.

If Sanders falls victim to the actuarial then she’s the natural successor.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Cyclefree said:

The latest allegation, as reported on the 5PM Radio 4 programme, is that while at the DWP, she so bullied a member of her staff that said staff member tried to commit suicide and was later given a payoff. That sounds pretty serious to me.

The state of the main opposition party does matter. Our democracy has been degraded as a result of having such a poor opposition. Let us hope that this changes soon.
    I have a suspicion that the main outcome of all this will simply be that it be acknowledged Patel is a shit person to work for. We shall see.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,361
    Andy_JS said:

SeanT?
  • Options

Yep, I'm back. And I have voted.

• Options
    kle4 said:

What could show more commitment to Labour than joining in multiple times?
    Voting Lab at a GE perhaps
  • Options
    Maybe people should be encouraged to go swimming since they'd get a full body dose of chlorine or whatever the latest equivalent is.
  • Options

For RLB and Burgon I presume :-)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,911

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

If you are correct, it will be very good for the environment.

It could be a biblical correction to the over indulgence in globalism & capitalism
  • Options

For RLB and Burgon I presume :-)

Obvs!!

• Options
    eadric said:

PERHAPS a shred of good news

Italy now has 52 dead (which is sad) and 340 new cases today.

349 cases is a lot, but it is actually a lot LESS than yesterday, which saw a 566 increase.

Way too early to be properly optimistic, but worth noting.

The comments from the WHO director has given me some hope. A proper lock down can seriously slow this.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841
    That doesn't mean it couldn't be held behind closed doors as is happening to race meetings in Japan and France.

How long before we see football matches in empty stadia - well, it's not like it hasn't happened before.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

This will be a petty thing, but I find the level of swearing in it over the top. Not because I'm against swearing, I watched Deadwood for crying out loud, but hearing the Commander in Chief of Starfleet dropping the f bomb just feels weird to me.

And while starfleet always had corrupt admirals and the Federation not so much of a utopia as it seemed, the Federation of Picard hardly seems worth defending as a good society even.

Which is probably part of the point, I suppose, but it's not making me jump up and down in excitement.
    I was in Deadwood in October. Kind of sad, a street of Wild West facades behind which almost every shop was a casino, bar, or full of slot machines. Indeed in the ‘wild west’ generally it was striking how much of this slice of history is now packaged and marketed like a theme park.

Was the TV series any good?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,313

Are we missing that Warren is now routinely polling a solid third now, clearly ahead of Bloomberg in both states and nationals?

Her price in the 60s for the nomination and 130s for the presidency looks value to me, not least because she could reap a bigger chunk of delegates than him and then her price will come in.

Sanders has only got till July to snuff it because Betfair is betting on who is nominated at the Convention in July, not who runs in November.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Lennon said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

I wouldn't be going anywhere near an airline or plane manufacturer right now.
    I agree. Just wary of shorting them for that reason...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Yes, I think bettors should keep her green, it's cheap enough to do so, after all. I can't see anyone outside the top three making it from here.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Are you full Burgon?
    Nandy and Butler

We both voted for the same leader.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

I was in Deadwood in October. Kind of sad, a street of Wild West facades behind which almost every shop was a casino, bar, or full of slot machines. Indeed in the ‘wild west’ generally it was striking how much of this slice of history is now packaged and marketed like a theme park.

Brilliant programme. Bizarre they never finished it.
  • Options

Sanders has only got till July to snuff it because Betfair is betting on who is nominated at the Convention in July, not who runs in November.
    Plenty of time..
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Are you full Burgon?
    Nandy and Butler
    Well done. Not a bad choice.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    Just heard the latest Patel allegations relating to her behaviour while at DWP on BBC News. Utterly extraordinary. If there's any substance to them, she can't possibly survive.
  • Options

Lets hope RLB doesnt win or presumably you would be off Again. I put her last of 3
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

349 cases is a lot, but it is actually a lot LESS than yesterday, which saw a 566 increase.

The comments from the WHO director has given me some hope. A proper lock down can seriously slow this.
    Yes. He also said that government have to act NOW. Speed is of the essence.

I'm not convinced I see that much activity or speediness.
    Yep. Why is the egg chasing going ahead?
  • Options
    Biden is favourite in the following states:

North Carolina
    Virginia
    Alabama
    Arkansas
    Oklahoma
    Tennessee

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.169314166
  • Options
    DavidL said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

It’s their own fault.

They should have moved mountains when the first 737-Max crash occurred.

They didn’t, and dragged their feet together with the FAA (who were rather weak), so are now reaping the whirlwind.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    that was meant to be a tweet about dogging being impacted by corona!
  • Options
    Sky

Contamination suspected at a US test lab, whatever that means
  • Options

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

There are three series on Amazon, plus a follow up feature film. I must get round to paying for at least the first.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Are you full Burgon?
    Nandy and Butler
    Well done. Not a bad choice.
    Thank You please tell me you didnt go for Murray?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

https://time.com/5792150/coronavirus-dog/
  • Options
    It’s really eerie here. Flights half full.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Are you full Burgon?
    Nandy and Butler

We both voted for the same leader.

Would be great if she made top 2
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Here's a very interesting trend.

There seem to be two types of growth for this bug. In countries like South Korea, Italy, Germany, Iran, etc, it is growing exponentially.

In much of East Asia, that is not the case: in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan you see a very different growth. It is slow, but steady - and the pattern is exactly the same for all of them.

Someone yesterday said this was because Japan is not testing enough, but I do not think that this applies to Singapore.

So maybe there is hope there, too. In East Asia they have got something right.
    Or they happen to live somewhere warmer this time of year....
  • Options

Oh Christ.

A former aide to Priti Patel received a £25,000 payout from the government after claiming she was bullied by the then employment minister.

Legal correspondence seen by the BBC alleges the woman took an overdose of prescription medicine following the alleged incident in 2015.

The DWP did not admit liability and the case did not come before a tribunal.

For me the killer detail is that there was no complaint about the staff member's'performance. Simply, Patel was alleged to have said she didn't like her face.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

There are three series on Amazon, plus a follow up feature film. I must get round to paying for at least the first.
    You won't regret it and it will also improve your ability to use profanities.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The tube is a lot less crowded than usual.
  • Options

Just heard the latest Patel allegations relating to her behaviour while at DWP on BBC News. Utterly extraordinary. If there's any substance to them, she can't possibly survive.

I have no idea whether Patel survives or not, and she is not my idea for high office, but the combined attack from the left does make it look like there is a campaign to take her down due to her strong immigration and law and order views

If an unaccountable mandarin can take down an elected politician then that cannot be right without exceptional circumstances

We shall see but I do not expect labour to regain votes in the red wall seats on this
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

eadric said:

HYUFD said:
    54% are doing "nothing"

"Keep calm and wash your hands"? :p
  • Options

Lets hope RLB doesnt win or presumably you would be off Again. I put her last of 3

I did not bother with her at all.

As a patriot, I am doing all I can to ensure the country gets the Opposition it so desperately needs. A large part of the Cummings/Johnson strategy is predicated on there not being a competent shadow front bench. It has made sense up to now. Hopefully, that will change in a few weeks.

• Options

Yes, I think bettors should keep her green, it's cheap enough to do so, after all. I can't see anyone outside the top three making it from here.
    She’s the only one who isn’t obviously past it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,911
    Jonathan said:

There speaks an optimist!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nichomar said:

https://time.com/5792150/coronavirus-dog/
    Dogging not dogs!
  • Options

I have no idea whether Patel survives or not, and she is not my idea for high office, but the combined attack from the left does make it look like there is a campaign to take her down due to her strong immigration and law and order views

If an unaccountable mandarin can take down an elected politician then that cannot be right without exceptional circumstances

We shall see but I do not expect labour to regain votes in the red wall seats on this
    Senior servants and ministerial aides are “the left” now?
  • Options

What has law and order got to do with staff ending up feeling suicidal due to bullying?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Senior servants and ministerial aides are “the left” now?
    It is being led by labour and the unions and indeed it is very likely many of the mandarins are on the left as evidenced by Kerslake and others
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Here's a very interesting trend.

There seem to be two types of growth for this bug. In countries like South Korea, Italy, Germany, Iran, etc, it is growing exponentially.

In much of East Asia, that is not the case: in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan you see a very different growth. It is slow, but steady - and the pattern is exactly the same for all of them.

Someone yesterday said this was because Japan is not testing enough, but I do not think that this applies to Singapore.

So maybe there is hope there, too. In East Asia they have got something right.
    I think the South Korea example might be a weird outlier due to this cult going undetected for a while. Everything with this virus is a lagged indicator but I get the impression the South Koreans are utilising their resources to very good effect.
  • Options

This is not about an attack from the 'left'. It's the sort of vile behaviour that should be regarded as intolerable in the case of any employee, never mind a government minister.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339

What has law and order got to do with staff ending up feeling suicidal due to bullying?
    if you believe the civil servant... nothing has yet been proved.
This discussion has been closed.