Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Flying into trouble – the government’s position on Heathrow?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Interesting thought, but soon we can say that every majority-winning Prime Minister in the last quarter of a century has had a child while in Downing Street.

Not out of wedlock though!
    Grow up
    I am sure that certain 'twin set and pearls' Tory ladies will be far from impressed. It will probably confirm their view of him as a vulgar 'ne'er do well'. Unlikely that Thatcher would have approved.
    You do know many children are born to unmarried parents and who are you to judge the parents or the child
    I am aware of that - but it is not at all relevant to my point.We are all entitled to a view as to how society has changed over time.
    You are the Conservative - yet clearly far more comfortable with the collapse in moral standards than I happen to be. On this, Thatcher would have agreed with me.
    No she wouldn't, and I couldn't give a f**k about your "moral standards" nor would any Tories I know in 2020 be shocked by an unmarried couple getting pregnant and announcing they're engaged and expecting.

Indeed announcing you're engaged and expecting has happened for thousands of years.
    There are many 'twin set and pearls' Tory ladies who will be utterly appalled.I am not asking anybody to share my opinions on this , though I know that many do - and disproprtionately they are likely to be Tory voters.
    I don't believe that or care. They should get their stick out their arse if that's their opinion.

Certainly Tory voters knew they were living together and unmarried before the last election. Didn't seem to upset Tory voters very much so methinks you're projecting.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,595

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Interesting thought, but soon we can say that every majority-winning Prime Minister in the last quarter of a century has had a child while in Downing Street.

Grow up
    I am sure that certain 'twin set and pearls' Tory ladies will be far from impressed. It will probably confirm their view of him as a vulgar 'ne'er do well'. Unlikely that Thatcher would have approved.
    You do know many children are born to unmarried parents and who are you to judge the parents or the child
    I am aware of that - but it is not at all relevant to my point.We are all entitled to a view as to how society has changed over time.
    You are the Conservative - yet clearly far more comfortable with the collapse in moral standards than I happen to be. On this, Thatcher would have agreed with me.
    No she wouldn't, she was fine with children out of wedlock.
    I am fine with such children too - I criticise the parents . Thatcher made known her disapproval in 1998 when William Hague shared the Leader's suite at the Tory Party Conference with Ffion - to whom he was not then married.

So how do you explain her support for Cecil Parkinson? She promoted him despite knowing he had gotten his mistress pregnant?
    Perhaps because Cecil did the only honourable thing acceptable to a previous generation. He discarded the embarrassing mistress and child and went home to the dutiful wife.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,346

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Grow up
    No she wouldn't, and I couldn't give a f**k about your "moral standards" nor would any Tories I know in 2020 be shocked by an unmarried couple getting pregnant and announcing they're engaged and expecting.

Indeed announcing you're engaged and expecting has happened for thousands of years.
    Yes but you are a libertarian not a conservative, Justin to be fair to him is more socially conservative than you are.

That does not mean most Conservatives are anti sex before marriage nowadays but you are more likely to find those who do hold such views in the Conservative Party than elsewhere
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Grow up
    I am fine with such children too - I criticise the parents . Thatcher made known her disapproval in 1998 when William Hague shared the Leader's suite at the Tory Party Conference with Ffion - to whom he was not then married.

So how do you explain her support for Cecil Parkinson? She promoted him despite knowing he had gotten his mistress pregnant?
    That did affect her plan to make Parkinson Foeign Secretary after the 1983 election - and ,of course, he was forced to resign as Industry Minister a few months later in the middle of the Tory Conference when the Sara Keays affair broke.
  • Options
    The twin set and pearls mob are selecting openly gay candidates as MPs, they'll be fine with an unmarried couple being pregnant.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Grow up

That did affect her plan to make Parkinson Foeign Secretary after the 1983 election - and ,of course, he was forced to resign as Industry Minister a few months later in the middle of the Tory Conference when the Sara Keays affair broke.
    But she promoted him nonetheless, that's a great way to show your disgust.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,429

"America is the home of the toughest men and the strongest women to ever walk the earth."

Trump.

Bonkers.

We can grant them the bonkers-est men, though.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

That's a distinction without a difference. The flu very frequently causes secondary diseases which causes death without medical intervention. It sometimes causes death even with medical intervention. Therefore the flu requires [in many cases] medical intervention.

Again it is not the flu which requires medical intervention, otherwise everyone without pneumonia but with flu would require medical treatment but only the pneumonia which requires medical treatment, a key distinction
    You are making yourself look like a total idiot.
    What out of that is factually wrong? Nothing
    Lots. This all started by you claiming "Hospital treatment will have near zero impact on coronavirus recovery" which is absolute garbage since there won't be "near zero" patients who end up in ICU's with illnesses caused by this like pneumonia. That is why people are dieing FFS.
    So again hospital treatment will not affect coronavirus recovery, hospital treatment might help a minority of generally elderly coronavirus patients who also get pneumonia but again technically the hospital treatment would be for the pneumonia and not for coronavirus
    Hospital treatment will affect coronavirus recovery, since pneumonia and other secondary conditions that are caused by coronavirus are part and parcel of coronavirus recovery.
    They are not caused by coronavirus, otherwise every coronavirus patient would get pneumonia or another secondary condition rather than a small mainly elderly minority. Hospital treatment is therefore for conditions like pneumonia not coronavirus
    Stop digging on this one. A secondary infection is deemed part of the illness for stats perspectives
    There is no digging to do, it is a statement of fact, pneumonia is not coronivarus. The death certificate would state the patient died of pneumonia not coronavirus
    No it wouldn't. Death certificates can name and do multiple proximate causes.

I know someone who was distraught when her sister's death certificate said the death was caused by something along the lines of 'alcohol induced liver failure'. She was very upset alcohol was mentioned on the death certificate and wanted the certificate to just say "liver failure".

If someone dies from coronavirus here because they get pneumonia due to coronavirus then they absolutely may have coronavirus listed on the death certificate and it certainly counts as a coronavirus fatality.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Charles said:

nichomar said:

Can I be excused not celebrating the news from Downing St? Even if it were in normal circumstances I would not be interested. It is worth half an inch in the Sunday People tomorrow so that we can move on to more serious issues.

That’s uncharitable.

It may not be important but you can at least wish them well
    Why? I had the chop when I had fathered three children which was one too many in today’s world. If people are interested fair enough but can we relegate it to news at 03:00 and focus on real issues.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Grow up
    If I am being charitable I really do not care what you think
    I had no expectation that you would!
  • Options
    matt said:

HYUFD said:

matt said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Grow up
    Thatcher would, I think, have had a moral flexibility. It’s almost as if she was a normal human being,
    Thatcher herself only ever slept with her husband Dennis, if Charles Moore's biography if anything to go by, so she very much embodied traditional conservative values on social matters
    Cecil Parkinson. Peter Morrison.

I was not suggesting that she had a keen interest in dogging.
    Nah, Cecil was far,far too old for Peter Morrison's tastes.
  • Options

The twin set and pearls mob are selecting openly gay candidates as MPs, they'll be fine with an unmarried couple being pregnant.

They'll be fine with that. They'll be even more fine with an unmarried couple being engaged and pregnant.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,236

Women get pregnant, not couples.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

That's a distinction without a difference. The flu very frequently causes secondary diseases which causes death without medical intervention. It sometimes causes death even with medical intervention. Therefore the flu requires [in many cases] medical intervention.

Again it is not the flu which requires medical intervention, otherwise everyone without pneumonia but with flu would require medical treatment but only the pneumonia which requires medical treatment, a key distinction
    Lots. This all started by you claiming "Hospital treatment will have near zero impact on coronavirus recovery" which is absolute garbage since there won't be "near zero" patients who end up in ICU's with illnesses caused by this like pneumonia. That is why people are dieing FFS.
    So again hospital treatment will not affect coronavirus recovery, hospital treatment might help a minority of generally elderly coronavirus patients who also get pneumonia but again technically the hospital treatment would be for the pneumonia and not for coronavirus
    Hospital treatment will affect coronavirus recovery, since pneumonia and other secondary conditions that are caused by coronavirus are part and parcel of coronavirus recovery.
    They are nrus
    Stop digging on this one. A secondary infection is deemed part of the illness for stats perspectives
    There is no digging to do, it is a statement of fact, pneumonia is not coronivarus. The death certificate would state the patient died of pneumonia not coronavirus

I know someone who was distraught when her sister's death certificate said the death was caused by something along the lines of 'alcohol induced liver failure'. She was very upset alcohol was mentioned on the death certificate and wanted the certificate to just say "liver failure".

If someone dies from coronavirus here because they get pneumonia due to coronavirus then they absolutely may have coronavirus listed on the death certificate and it certainly counts as a coronavirus fatality.
    Yet the coronavirus alone would not cause it, that is the point, hence hospital treatment is ineffective for most coronavirus patients, it is only of use to treat a secondary illnees
  • Options
    So much for my father's quiet retirement, I wonder if he'll end up working alongside HYUFD?

NHS plans to deploy ‘Dad’s Army’ of retired doctors if Covid-19 spreads.

Government pandemic preparation plans to include ‘war room’ of experts

Former health professionals could be brought out of retirement under emergency plans being considered by the government to combat the spread of coronavirus.

News of the potential “Dad’s army” deployment comes as NHS bosses warn that the service will struggle if Covid-19 takes hold in Britain.

Yesterday a further three people in England tested positive for the virus, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the UK to 23. Two of the patients had recently travelled back from Italy, while the other had returned from Asia, according to the chief medical officer, Prof Chris Whitty.

The three cases – in Gloucestershire, Hertfordshire and Berkshire – are being investigated, and any individuals who had contact with them are being traced.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/29/nhs-dads-army-plan-for-coronavirus-spread-pandemic-strategy?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

They are not caused by coronavirus, otherwise every coronavirus patient would get pneumonia or another secondary condition rather than a small mainly elderly minority. Hospital treatment is therefore for conditions like pneumonia not coronavirus
    By definition a secondary infection is a result of the primary infection. I’d expect the certificate to state complications of coronavirus in any event. It would be deemed a comorbidity
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,954

stodge said:

I expect Boris will pay for it himself but also it will be a media event

As an aside, irrespective of the pregnancy, who was the last Prime Minister to get married while in office?

Lord Liverpool in 1822.
    He was only 42 when he became PM and was so for nearly 15 years from 1812 to 1827.

Blair was 44 when he became PM in 1997. Boris Johnson was 45 when he became PM last July.

Liverpool served three years longer than Margaret Thatcher but lagged six years behind Walpole.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Grow up

But she promoted him nonetheless, that's a great way to show your disgust.
    Was moving him frombeing a high profile Party Chairman to the Industry Department a promotion - or a move sideways? Whatever - it was not what she had planned for him before he gave her his news.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Grow up

Yes but you are a libertarian not a conservative, Justin to be fair to him is more socially conservative than you are.

That does not mean most Conservatives are anti sex before marriage nowadays but you are more likely to find those who do hold such views in the Conservative Party than elsewhere
    You say that like it means anything. The Conservatives ceased to be a draconian socially conservative party long, long before I was born and has become less and less socially conservative throughout my life.

Anti sex before marriage would be a teensy tiny insignificant minority of Conservatives not the norm.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

matt said:

HYUFD said:

matt said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Grow up
    Thatcher would, I think, have had a moral flexibility. It’s almost as if she was a normal human being,
    Thatcher herself only ever slept with her husband Dennis, if Charles Moore's biography if anything to go by, so she very much embodied traditional conservative values on social matters

You deserve a “heh” for that.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,234
    So pending Supreme Court decision Heathrow expansion is dead, but the government needs to be careful in that while it will be very happy about the excuse not to go ahead with Heathrow, the same reasoning could affect things it does want to achieve?
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

As an aside, irrespective of the pregnancy, who was the last Prime Minister to get married while in office?

Lord Liverpool in 1822.
    He was only 42 when he became PM and was so for nearly 15 years from 1812 to 1827.

Blair was 44 when he became PM in 1997. Boris Johnson was 45 when he became PM last July.

Liverpool served three years longer than Margaret Thatcher but lagged six years behind Walpole.
    Johnson was 55 - not 45 last July!
  • Options
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

By definition a secondary infection is a result of the primary infection. I’d expect the certificate to state complications of coronavirus in any event. It would be deemed a comorbidity
    Most coronavirus patients do not get pneumonia, hence do not need hospital treatment for it
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,482

So much for my father's quiet retirement, I wonder if he'll end up working alongside HYUFD?

Former health professionals could be brought out of retirement under emergency plans being considered by the government to combat the spread of coronavirus.

News of the potential “Dad’s army” deployment comes as NHS bosses warn that the service will struggle if Covid-19 takes hold in Britain.

Yesterday a further three people in England tested positive for the virus, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the UK to 23. Two of the patients had recently travelled back from Italy, while the other had returned from Asia, according to the chief medical officer, Prof Chris Whitty.

The three cases – in Gloucestershire, Hertfordshire and Berkshire – are being investigated, and any individuals who had contact with them are being traced.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/29/nhs-dads-army-plan-for-coronavirus-spread-pandemic-strategy?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Well putting more 60+'s in the firing line may reduce the pension budget. If I was a retired medic I'd be self isolating in the Dales not risking a 7-14% mortality rate...

Would the medical schools be a better source?
  • Options
    It should be remembered Mrs Thatcher married a divorcee, shocking lack of moral hygiene there for the time.
  • Options
    matt said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

matt said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Grow up

You deserve a “heh” for that.
    I thank you!
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Lord Liverpool in 1822.

Blair was 44 when he became PM in 1997. Boris Johnson was 45 when he became PM last July....
    Bloody hell, is he lying about his age now ? :smile:
  • Options
    And anyway, who would they pick on those grounds ... ?
  • Options

Well putting more 60+'s in the firing line may reduce the pension budget. If I was a retired medic I'd be self isolating in the Dales not risking a 7-14% mortality rate...

Selfishly I was thinking about the utilisation of medical students as well.
  • Options
    NYT:

COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina Democratic Party officials predicted heavy turnout during Saturday’s primary, possibly reaching the 500,000 people who voted in 2008 when Barack Obama’s popularity drove the state’s black voters to polls in record numbers.

Speaking at a news conference here eight hours after the polls opened, Trav Robertson, the chairman of the state party, said that nearly 80,000 voters had filed absentee ballots, a significant increase from the last two elections, indicating strong participation.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yet the coronavirus alone would not cause it, that is the point, hence hospital treatment is ineffective for most coronavirus patients, it is only of use to treat a secondary illnees
    Coronavirus would have caused it. Whether its alone or not is irrelevant, it would be the direct cause and listed as a cause.

Hospital treatment is required for many coronavirus patients. Nobody claimed that all coronavirus patients need hospital treatment or will die. You did claim "Hospital treatment will have near zero impact on coronavirus recovery" which is total BS since recovery requires recovering from any complications it brings.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

If you want an analogy, my grandfather was terribly disappointed that he’d retired from Cunard in 1981. He wanted to be sailing to a war zone and begged Cunard to let him contribute.

Perhaps medical staff today are more interested in their pensions but is there evidence for that?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Grow up

You say that like it means anything. The Conservatives ceased to be a draconian socially conservative party long, long before I was born and has become less and less socially conservative throughout my life.

Anti sex before marriage would be a teensy tiny insignificant minority of Conservatives not the norm.
    I recall at the 1987 election that Livingstone's Tory opponent in Brent attracted comment as an unmarried mother to be. Ten years later the sitting Tory MP for Welwyn & Hatfield - David Evans - raised a few hackles when pointing out that his female Labour opponent had'three bastards'. He was criticised - but also received support in Tory circles.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Grow up

It may not be the norm but it was the Whig government of Palmerston which introduced secular divorce, the Labour government of Harold Wilson which legalised abortion and decriminalised homosexuality, most Conservative MPs even voted against gay marriage with Labour and LD MPs needed to pass it.

The Conservative Party has always been the more socially conservative party even if it has accepted change and evolving values once they have come in and sex before marriage is no exception
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

Most coronavirus patients do not get pneumonia, hence do not need hospital treatment for it
    Most isn't good enough for your ludicrous claims. Most is not all.

Most coronavirus patients don't, but many do.

Most coronavirus patients don't die, but some do.

Your logic is as bullshit as claiming "because most coronavirus patients don't die, coronavirus doesn't cause death."
  • Options

Good party political awareness. Save the Tory voting over 60s and compromise the Labour voting students!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Grow up

I recall at the 1987 election that Livingstone's Tory opponent in Brent attracted comment as an unmarried mother to be. Ten years later the sitting Tory MP for Welwyn & Hatfield - David Evans - raised a few hackles when pointing out that his female Labour opponent had'three bastards'. He was criticised - but also received support in Tory circles.
    1987 was 32 years ago. In political terms, that’s ancient history.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Grow up

It may not be the norm but it was the Whig government of Palmerston which introduced secular divorce, the Labour government of Harold Wilson which legalised abortion and decriminalised homosexuality, most Conservative MPs even voted against gay marriage with Labour and LD MPs needed to pass it.

The Conservative Party has always been the more socially conservative party even if it has accepted change and evolving values once they have come in and sex before marriage is no exception
    Although Labour was in office at the time , the legalisation of abortion came about via David Steel's Private Members Bill 1967.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

HYUFD said:

Coronavirus would have caused it. Whether its alone or not is irrelevant, it would be the direct cause and listed as a cause.

Hospital treatment is required for many coronavirus patients. Nobody claimed that all coronavirus patients need hospital treatment or will die. You did claim "Hospital treatment will have near zero impact on coronavirus recovery" which is total BS since recovery requires recovering from any complications it brings.
    No, as again the hospital treatment is not required to recover from coronavirus and certainly not for the vast majority of younger people.

It may be required for elderly people in terms of secondary illnesses like pneumonia but again it is those being treated not coronavirus itself
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    matt said:

If you want an analogy, my grandfather was terribly disappointed that he’d retired from Cunard in 1981. He wanted to be sailing to a war zone and begged Cunard to let him contribute.

Perhaps medical staff today are more interested in their pensions but is there evidence for that?
    My dad was navigating officer on QM1 when it went to Long Beach maybe tgeyknew each over?
    C
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,954
    Nigelb said:

stodge said:

Blair was 44 when he became PM in 1997. Boris Johnson was 45 when he became PM last July....

Bloody hell, is he lying about his age now ? :smile:
    An honest error but I should have realised.

The report from the release of Thatcher's papers referred to an article written by Boris Johnson when he was a Telegraph journalist in 1990.

I know the Telegraph is a useful first job for chinless right-wingers but surely not at 15 years of age !!

• Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    A good friend of mine spent a lot of months in Wuhan - said it was the most polluted city he had ever been to.

Add in the Chinese smoking habits and it’s not surprising how many have died.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,021

You all seem to be presuming that Boris has carefully considered financial future. Remember when Red Ken challenged him to release his tax returns and it revealed Boris wasn't even taking the most obvious of tax efficiency steps and basically paying way more tax that he really needed to.

That was deliberate - he was paying the full 40% on his newspaper column work rather than using a personal company etc. It would have taken time and effort to get the newspapers (chiefly the Telegraph) to pay that way...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, as again the hospital treatment is not required to recover from coronavirus and certainly not for the vast majority of younger people.

It may be required for elderly people in terms of secondary illnesses like pneumonia but again it is those being treated not coronavirus itself
    Hospital treatment is often not required to recover from coronavirus, it sometimes is.

Secondary illnesses are part of the primary illness. Treating the secondary illness is indeed part of treating the coronavirus itself.
  • Options
    matt said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Grow up

But most of the changes associated with the Permissive Society et al had already taken place.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,248
    @rcs What is your feel on the ground in the US for how people are considering the virus threat?

My travels elsewhere on the internet suggest anyone raising even mildest alarm is being treated with outright derision by American posters. The stock market correction is seen as “stupid people panicking, don’t worry we just hit the bottom folks”.

There seems to be almost complete unawareness of the extraordinary economic self harm committed not just in China but elsewhere in Asia to step the tide.

Lots of “this virus is very non lethal, it’s a joke it’s even in the news”. But without any thought of what sudden hospitalisation of a very large number of people means.

I was guilty of complacency in the face of Eadric’s warnings because it looked like Asia had got it under control, there would be some economic pain, but that such steps would not be necessary outside Asia. Clearly that’s changed. But the US at large doesn’t seem to have got the message yet.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

matt said:

But most of the changes associated with the Permissive Society et al had already taken place.
    So you're saying you're judging him based on standards that were already obsolete 32 years ago then? Great going. Nobody cares about that nonsense.

And they're engaged so this isn't even going to be a child out of wedlock, or at least not for long if they plan a long engagement.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

@rcs What is your feel on the ground in the US for how people are considering the virus threat?

My travels elsewhere on the internet suggest anyone raising even mildest alarm is being treated with outright derision by American posters. The stock market correction is seen as “stupid people panicking, don’t worry we just hit the bottom folks”.

There seems to be almost complete unawareness of the extraordinary economic self harm committed not just in China but elsewhere in Asia to step the tide.

Lots of “this virus is very non lethal, it’s a joke it’s even in the news”. But without any thought of what sudden hospitalisation of a very large number of people means.

I was guilty of complacency in the face of Eadric’s warnings because it looked like Asia had got it under control, there would be some economic pain, but that such steps would not be necessary outside Asia. Clearly that’s changed. But the US at large doesn’t seem to have got the message yet.

Trump's reality TV, through-the-looking-glass world is about to be hit by brute reality.

One can almost feel sorry for the lost of the American heartlands who are going to find their saviour is yet another snake oil seller.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,352
    @Philip_Thompson

I think you are banging your head against a brick wall.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

matt said:

My dad was navigating officer on QM1 when it went to Long Beach maybe tgeyknew each over?
    C
    Possibly, Cunard was a a small company. Depends on his interest in Cunard’s global fleet electric eng.As a navigator, that interest’s unlikely,

Oddly I met a US veteran at Pima who went across the Atlantic (as part of the USAAF) when he was on the QE in 1944. It’s always small world.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Grow up

You say that like it meanorm.

Although Labour was in office at the time , the legalisation of abortion came about via David Steel's Private Members Bill 1967.
    Supported by the Wilson government though
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

Your logic is as bullshit as claiming "because most coronavirus patients don't die, coronavirus doesn't cause death."
    Most don't and even the few who do are not being treated for coronavirus itself but the likes of pneumonia
  • Options
    eadric said:
    Trump made the point that the death was someone who was medically vulnerable or some such words. Could elected official in Iran be in such poor health also?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Hospital treatment is often not required to recover from coronavirus, it sometimes is.

Secondary illnesses are part of the primary illness. Treating the secondary illness is indeed part of treating the coronavirus itself.
    You cannot treat or cure coronavirus, just wait for it to move on, you can only treat some of the secondary symptoms which emerge in a small minority of cases
  • Options
    moonshine said:

I now work for a US base company. Coronavirus is an opportunity not a threat. Equally, having worked for Chinese owned companies and in touch with with continues employees (some Chinese nationality, some not) I don’t recognise the hysteria here that some posters are projecting. Perhaps the latter are right, but constantly posting Twitter feeds does not of iteself equal objective evidence.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

A statement which, while true, is completely totally and spectacularly irrelevant
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

Most don't and even the few who do are not being treated for coronavirus itself but the likes of pneumonia
    Aaaargh!!!!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You cannot treat or cure coronavirus, just wait for it to move on, you can only treat some of the secondary symptoms which emerge in a small minority of cases
    Treating secondary conditions is part of treating the primary condition for those who require that. If you die from secondary infections your immune system is incapable of fighting off the primary infection!

And that's my last word on this subject. You're right @rcs1000 this is banging my head against the wall.
  • Options

eadric said:
    Trump made the point that the death was someone who was medically vulnerable or some such words. Could elected official in Iran be in such poor health also?
    Yes. Iran's been under sanctions forever. A lot of the country can have poor health.
  • Options
    eadric said:
    If you are indeed not SeanT., could you by chance be The Grim Reaper?
  • Options
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

They are nus
    A statement which, while true, is completely totally and spectacularly irrelevant
    No, a statement completely relevant to my original point which is that most coronavirus patients do not need hospital treatment and are better off staying home in bed with hot broth
  • Options

eadric said:
    Yes. Iran's been under sanctions forever. A lot of the country can have poor health.
    Very good point. We take the good health we have as a herd population in the west.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Treating secondary conditions is part of treating the primary condition for those who require that. If you die from secondary infections your immune system is incapable of fighting off the primary infection!

And that's my last word on this subject. You're right @rcs1000 this is banging my head against the wall.
    Yes but it is still the secondary infection you die of, not the primary infection
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,943
    edited February 2020
    1) “Exit Sir Calamity”
    2) Coronavirus ad from govt

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1233878439469486080?s=20
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,384
    Sanders is 15/1 in South Carolina if anyone thinks he might spring a surprise tonight.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.161393822
  • Options
    matt said:

I would guess that there is potential for further burdening the system by directly exposing the most vulnerable age groups to the highest risk. They might want to do their bit but there are reasons why people are retired out of front line positions.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

They are not caused by coronavirus, otherwise every coronavirus patient would get pneumonia or another secondary condition rather than a small mainly elderly minority.

Weird to see this, the other day I was watching Trump and thinking that in the conservative movement scepticism about science has spread to scepticism about the entire concept of cause-and-effect.

This is a slightly weird strain of that thinking where there's still a theory of causality in there but the definition is reduced, but we occasionally see this with HYUFD where he'll try to follow the official line of conservative thinking but kind of miss the first time and need a few tries to get it right.
  • Options

Good party political awareness. Save the Tory voting over 60s and compromise the Labour voting students!
    If we are calling in the retirees, I think the asset owning generations will already be bearing the brunt of it...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,830
    New thread.

Been there, got there first.
  • Options

Selfishly I was thinking about the utilisation of medical students as well.
    Would you need lots of technical competence in the lower risk wards? Or could you get away with warm-ish bodies?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Grow up

Perhaps because Cecil did the only honourable thing acceptable to a previous generation. He discarded the embarrassing mistress and child and went home to the dutiful wife.
    Cecil behaved utterly dishonourably to his child and former mistress in the callous way he treated them after he returned to his wife.
  • Options
    eadric said:

moonshine said:

Trump's reality TV, through-the-looking-glass world is about to be hit by brute reality.

One can almost feel sorry for the lost of the American heartlands who are going to find their saviour is yet another snake oil seller.
    The first death on American soil will be pivotal. Expect some panic to spread from the NYC markets (where it clearly kicked in, last Monday) to Americans at large

I hope MalcolmG has a steady nerve, because this bear market is going to be looooooooong
    Will it ?
    We'll see soon enough:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51692577
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    I really hope something can be done for this poor woman - https://twitter.com/tulipsiddiq/status/1233858070868037632?s=21
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes but it is still the secondary infection you die of, not the primary infection
    On that basis, of course, AIDS killed basically no one.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I really hope something can be done for this poor woman - https://twitter.com/tulipsiddiq/status/1233858070868037632?s=21

Tulip has been called many things, but poor...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,713
    Can Boris actually marry again? I thought he was still married to his ex? If he is now properly free, I wonder if they'll do it before the baby arrives. If so, I imagine they'll want to get it done before there's a big bump.
  • Options
    Background to low rate of testing in US:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/02/29/new-fda-policy-will-expand-coronavirus-testing/?outputType=comment

Either the US has been uniquely lucky, or we should see a jump in diagnosing of Covid-19.
  • Options

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/02/29/new-fda-policy-will-expand-coronavirus-testing/?outputType=comment

Either the US has been uniquely lucky, or we should see a jump in diagnosing of Covid-19.

The US have their head in the sand.

The first American fatality from this in Kirkland, Washington has been described as someone who hadn't travelled and hadn't been in contact with anyone who was known to have the illness.

In other words they don't have a clue who has the illness and who hasn't and aren't tracing it! This is going to be an unnecessarily massive epidemic in America because they aren't doing the basics. Idiots!

And they're putting us at more risk too. Can't be long before this is more of an American disease than a Chinese one if they don't pull their finger out.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,668

The US have their head in the sand.

The first American fatality from this in Kirkland, Washington has been described as someone who hadn't travelled and hadn't been in contact with anyone who was known to have the illness.

In other words they don't have a clue who has the illness and who hasn't and aren't tracing it! This is going to be an unnecessarily massive epidemic in America because they aren't doing the basics. Idiots!

And they're putting us at more risk too. Can't be long before this is more of an American disease than a Chinese one if they don't pull their finger out.
    Whilst tons of Americans have been posting questions about the safety of european cities that are hundreds of miles from any known case on Internet forums, three US states have had people wandering around with the virus, none of who have been abroad.

The only advantage the Americans have is that they drive about on their own and communicate by standing far apart and shouting.
This discussion has been closed.