Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some fascinating analysis by YouGov

Comments

• Options
    https://twitter.com/PattyUK2000/status/1206976458234716161?s=20

Who do you think he thinks "the forces behind them" might be?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,556
    edited December 2019

I think he made a typo in "Mandatory de-selection"

Tool.

5) Could win election in under 1,000 years

Until the election this lot were slightly sinister, simply because there was some outside chance they could form a government with cynical help from the centre left. Now everything they say is just hilariously funny; and they have no idea how funny it is.

• Options

Why do people follow cretins like Bastani?

He should be on his arse due to the number of false predictions he's made. But a few days later, after he's been shown to be wrong about everything, he's just back out again churning out relentless garbage as if nothing has happened.
    Because for pundits, quantity and certainty of predictions is what counts, not accuracy, and certainly not sitting on the fence.

But more importantly, why the 2017 manifesto?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Alistair said:

So what's changed in the last 5 days (apart from pollster) where Trump was polling 7 and 8 points behinds Sanders and Warren?

They want to be like us!
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,791

Proper historians are always right.

twitter.com/HuffPostPol/status/1206950443999518724

But what do poets think?
    Still struggling to think of a rhyme for Impeachment.
    Who was wondering how far his reach went?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452
    I've been playing with spreadsheets. The following will surprise no-one, but is mildly interesting nonetheless:
    Safest Lab seats all in Merseyside: Liverpool Walton, Knowsley, Bootle, Liverpool Riverside and Liverpool West Derby (the first four of which all have a majority > 70%)
    Safest Con seats all on the east coast: South Holland & the Deepings, Boston and Skegness, Castle Point, Maldon, Clacton - not quite as stonking majorities as Labour on Merseyside, but the first three are all in excess of 60%. In fact, all but one of the top 12 safest Con seats are either on the east coast or just inland from it, somewhere between the Thames and Humber.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303
    edited December 2019
    trukat said:

ydoethur said:

Interesting watching MPs swearing in - the first to affirm was Corbyn....most Labour Front Benchers have been swearing

I'm not f***ing surprised after that debacle.
    Javid was first to affirm
    It went well for his mob, so they might have sworn briefly in delight but not otherwise.
  • Options
    trukat said:

ydoethur said:

Interesting watching MPs swearing in - the first to affirm was Corbyn....most Labour Front Benchers have been swearing

I'd affirm, it seems much ado about nothing. As an atheist swearing is hypocritical and I would never do it unless there was no alternative. There is nothing from with affirming instead.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    Pulpstar said:
    So does that mean that Owen will be supporting Nandy for the leadership?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited December 2019
    I suspect this has some truth to it ...

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-12-17/why-keir-starmer-is-the-labour-leadership-candidate-to-beat-writes-robert-peston/

The Labour membership skews to London, the south and the university towns, and is fiercely anti-Brexit. Starmer has a lot of admirers from across the party beyond the rabid far-left. As I have said before on here, a lot of Corbyn's support was personal, not political. Many Labour members saw him as a polite, tireless, fighter for social justice - and they liked that, because they saw themselves in him. I am not sure that means they will all transfer to the candidate he and McDonnell back.

With the support of Unite and Momentum, Long Bailey is rightly the favourite, but I do not think she should be seen as a shoe-in. Especially if Starmer gets the backing of UNISON or on eof th eother non-Unite big unions.
  • Options

I think he made a typo in "Mandatory de-selection"

Tool.
    Mandatory deselection worked for the Conservatives :smile:
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    Pulpstar said:
    Too bad for him he then toed the leadership line i guess.
  • Options

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-12-17/why-keir-starmer-is-the-labour-leadership-candidate-to-beat-writes-robert-peston/

The Labour membership skews to London, the south and the university towns, and is fiercely anti-Brexit. Starmer has a lot of admirers from across the party beyond the rabid far-left. As I have said before on here, a lot of Corbyn's support was personal, not political. Many Labour members saw him as a polite, tireless, fighter for social justice - and they liked that, because they saw themselves in him. I am not sure that means they will all transfer to the candidate he and McDonnell back.

With the support of Unite and Momentum, Long Bailey is rightly the favourite, but I do not think she should be seen as a shoe-in. Especially if Starmer gets the backing of UNISON or on eof th eother non-Unite big unions.

Starmer would likely get the backing of enough MPs to get on the ballot but that's insufficient now they need the backing of unions etc too now. Will he get their backing to even get on the ballot in the first place?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,556

Corbyn really is graceless.

Passive aggressives don't do grace. Never met a counter example. Probably because they can't express their anger so it bottles up. Also they are never wrong. And they hate answering questions unless they can choose the questions.

• Options

trukat said:

ydoethur said:

I'd affirm, it seems much ado about nothing. As an atheist swearing is hypocritical and I would never do it unless there was no alternative. There is nothing from with affirming instead.
    Undermines Javid's credentials as a 'Muslim' in my view. Could've been worth a bit of support and conciliatory Brownie points if only he'd held his nose and picked up a Koran for a few seconds.
  • Options
    Mr. Rentool, it's shifted because the PM's a moron who buys transient headlines for billions at a time.
  • Options
    Well that just seems unnecessary...

Residents bid to rename Corbyn Road to stop house prices falling

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/residents-bid-rename-corbyn-road-17420058
  • Options

Contra Peston, I can't see GMB backing RLB. They're the most Corbynsceptic of the three major unions (endorsing Owen Smith in the 2016 leadership election). Wouldn't be shocked if they backed Nandy, to be honest.
  • Options

Starmer would likely get the backing of enough MPs to get on the ballot but that's insufficient now they need the backing of unions etc too now. Will he get their backing to even get on the ballot in the first place?
    I could see UNISON and/or USDAW endorsing Starmer.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

trukat said:

ydoethur said:

I never fathomed what sense it made for people to swear oaths on a book that forbids the swearing of oaths.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Cookie said:

I've been playing with spreadsheets. The following will surprise no-one, but is mildly interesting nonetheless:
    Safest Lab seats all in Merseyside: Liverpool Walton, Knowsley, Bootle, Liverpool Riverside and Liverpool West Derby (the first four of which all have a majority > 70%)
    Safest Con seats all on the east coast: South Holland & the Deepings, Boston and Skegness, Castle Point, Maldon, Clacton - not quite as stonking majorities as Labour on Merseyside, but the first three are all in excess of 60%. In fact, all but one of the top 12 safest Con seats are either on the east coast or just inland from it, somewhere between the Thames and Humber.

Interesting,

P.S. has anybody created an Excel Spreadsheet of all the results, that can be shared by a link? I've just spent 20 minuets googling it but could not find one.
  • Options
    Good piece from Stephen Bush. Johnson cannot keep all his promises, so it will be the one about balancing the books that goes.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/economy/2019/12/most-important-question-about-new-conservative-mps-how-much-do-they-care
  • Options

If not, he'd get the CLPs he needs. There are 70+ in and around London alone - and while he was not on the TV very much, he did a lot of travelling around the country to help out in various local campaigns.

• Options

Good piece from Stephen Bush. Johnson cannot keep all his promises, so it will be the one about balancing the books that goes.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/economy/2019/12/most-important-question-about-new-conservative-mps-how-much-do-they-care

I have a lot of time for Stephen Bush. I don’t always agree with him (he is much more to the left than me) but I always find his arguments or observations clear and well laid out. He does a very listenable podcast for The New Statesman which I would recommend to those who like intelligent political podcasts.
  • Options

Yes, that makes sense. I'll be amazed if there isn't a massive spending bonanza - the temptation to grind Labour into the dust over public spending will be irresistible.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,610
    edited December 2019

If not, he'd get the CLPs he needs. There are 70+ in and around London alone - and while he was not on the TV very much, he did a lot of travelling around the country to help out in various local campaigns.

He spent the entire campaign going right around the UK with the CLPs, instead of getting his face on Newsnight like Gardiner and Burgon. He was out campaigning with Owen Jones and Laura Parker from Momentum at one point...trying to build a big tent?
  • Options

If someone had the time, they could check back on past CLP nominations for the NEC. Those that nominated the Momentum slate (including an anti-semite) are likely to do what they are told again.

A nice graphic of CLPs ranked against percentage entryist loon membership would be instructive.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

trukat said:

ydoethur said:

Undermines Javid's credentials as a 'Muslim' in my view. Could've been worth a bit of support and conciliatory Brownie points if only he'd held his nose and picked up a Koran for a few seconds.
    Javid has said this:

" My own family's heritage is Muslim. Myself and my four brothers were brought up to believe in God, but I do not practise any religion. My wife is a practising Christian and the only religion practised in my house is Christianity."
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    The Tories now the party of over 39 skilled working class males predominantly, Labour the party of under 39 lower middle class or unskilled working class females and the LDs mainly the party of upper middle class 25 to 49 year old males (which now perfectly defines TSE)
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Is Long Bailey IDS to Starmer's Portillo/Ken Clarke?

Like IDS Long Bailey is viewed less negatively than the previous leader while being ideologically close to them in a way that appeals to the party membership more than swing voters. Like IDS Long Bailey comes across as earnest and serious while lacking charisma or a strong personality or an Oxbridge degree.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Tories now the party of over 39 skilled working class males predominantly, Labour the party of under 39 lower middle class or unskilled working class females and the LDs mainly the party of upper middle class 25 to 49 year old males (which now perfectly defines TSE)

Party of the Class 25:

http://www.class25.info/

Known as "Rats" to their friends.

Laters...
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Anyone seen the latest Trump General polling numbers :o ?!

No.

Share.
    General Election: Trump vs. Biden
    USA Today/Suffolk
    Biden 41, Trump 44
    Trump +3
    General Election: Trump vs. Sanders
    USA Today/Suffolk
    Sanders 39, Trump 44
    Trump +5
    General Election: Trump vs. Warren
    USA Today/Suffolk
    Warren 37, Trump 45
    Trump +8
    General Election: Trump vs. Buttigieg
    USA Today/Suffolk
    Buttigieg 33, Trump 43
    Trump +10
    General Election: Trump vs. Bloomberg
    USA Today/Suffolk
    Bloomberg 34, Trump 43
    Trump +9

IBD/TIPP
    Biden 50, Trump 45
    Biden +5
    IBD/TIPP
    Sanders 47, Trump 48
    Trump +1
    IBD/TIPP
    Warren 45, Trump 49
    Trump +4
    IBD/TIPP
    Buttigieg 44, Trump 46
    Trump +2
    IBD/TIPP
    Bloomberg 46, Trump 47
    Trump +1
    US voters giving a similar kicking to Democrats dicking about impeaching Trump as British voters just gave to MPs who dicked about trying to block Brexit.

"There's important stuff needs doing. Just focus on that....."
  • Options
    Best Tory sleeper agent ever.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    edited December 2019
    BigRich said:

Cookie said:

Interesting,

P.S. has anybody created an Excel Spreadsheet of all the results, that can be shared by a link? I've just spent 20 minuets googling it but could not find one.
    BritainElects has one, although the figures in Middlesbrough are not correct because the Brexit Party polled 2,168 votes not 216. This is a mistake most of the media is replicating.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wqTEbhyQhNOHw4xg4rjpD7tyMB9J5kzWzAn5AZquP48/edit#gid=0
  • Options
    Just walked back from the centre of St. Albans to my hotel, down one of my favourite streets in Britain. Amongst the Christmas trees and doors decked with wreaths, there are still many LibDem diamonds up. Pride and defiance being shown.

Your MP is one to watch, I would suggest.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Momentum types getting madder by the day.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Eh? What the bloody hell is she on about?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,233
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Anyone seen the latest Trump General polling numbers :o ?!

No.

Share.
    USA Today/Suffolk
    Biden 41, Trump 44
    Trump +3
    USA Today/Suffolk
    Sanders 39, Trump 44
    Trump +5
    USA Today/Suffolk
    Warren 37, Trump 45
    Trump +8
    USA Today/Suffolk
    Buttigieg 33, Trump 43
    Trump +10
    USA Today/Suffolk
    Bloomberg 34, Trump 43
    Trump +9

IBD/TIPP
    Biden 50, Trump 45
    Biden +5
    IBD/TIPP
    Sanders 47, Trump 48
    Trump +1
    IBD/TIPP
    Warren 45, Trump 49
    Trump +4
    IBD/TIPP
    Buttigieg 44, Trump 46
    Trump +2
    IBD/TIPP
    Bloomberg 46, Trump 47
    Trump +1
    US voters giving a similar kicking to Democrats dicking about impeaching Trump as British voters just gave to MPs who dicked about trying to block Brexit.

"There's important stuff needs doing. Just focus on that....."
    Trump beats every Democrat with both pollsters then bar Biden who narrowly beats him with IBID/TIPP but not Suffolk
  • Options
    On the evidence I’ve seen Trump is clearly unfit for office and should be impeached.

On the other hand, he’s delivered (or at least tried his damnest to deliver) on what he said he’d do in 2016, the US economy is doing well, and the Democrats are all over the shop, so he’ll probably be re-elected.

Funny times we live in.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited December 2019

Andy_JS said:
    Momentum types getting madder by the day.
    They've really got a weird obsession with Jess. A woman who speaks her own mind. Hmm.

Worth clicking on the tweet to see the tissue-thin 'allegations' in full. For example, Jess telling Diane Abbott to 'fuck off' is evidence of racism, as opposed to a civic duty.
  • Options
    What hope for labour until they eradicate momentum

Time is coming to split
  • Options
    I’m going to the poor house if Starmer wins.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:
    Jess Phillips thinks Diane Abbott is crap and would sack her, and that is bad I guess?

In fairness to Abbot she had a much better campaign than 2017, unlike Jeremy!
  • Options

On the evidence I’ve seen Trump is clearly unfit for office and should be impeached.

On the other hand, he’s delivered (or at least tried his damnest to deliver) on what he said he’d do in 2016, the US economy is doing well, and the Democrats are all over the shop, so he’ll probably be re-elected.

Funny times we live in.

Darkly funny perhaps.
  • Options
    One big problem Kier Starmer has is that he’s got a face that looks like a cross between a slapped arse and a rabbit caught in the headlights.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:
    Jess Phillips thinks Diane Abbott is crap and would sack her, and that is bad I guess?

She had a much better campaign because she had been hidden in a cupboard.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

She had a much better campaign because she had been hidden in a cupboard.
    Works for all manner of awful frontbenchers, more should try it.
  • Options

One big problem Kier Starmer has is that he’s got a face that looks like a cross between a slapped arse and a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Steady! We were told off earlier for commenting on RLB's appearance, and nobody would ever do that to a man.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    edited December 2019
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

Was Abbott actually deployed during the campaign?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

No, which I imagine is kle4's point!
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

I never heard or saw anything of her bar the usual Facebook mickey taking of her...
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

She spent the campaign trying to capture Mole Valley.

With the moles.
  • Options

I know commenting on appearances is wrong but to me he looks like the manager of a dodgy night club with an over fondness for hair gel.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

No, which I imagine is kle4's point!
    It demonstrated the party was able to learn at least one lesson.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

BigRich said:

Cookie said:

Interesting,

BritainElects has one, although the figures in Middlesbrough are not correct because the Brexit Party polled 2,168 votes not 216. This is a mistake most of the media is replicating.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wqTEbhyQhNOHw4xg4rjpD7tyMB9J5kzWzAn5AZquP48/edit#gid=0
    Some years ago now, I got quite a collection of 2010 results spreadsheets together from various sources (I wrote Python scripts to scrape the BBC and several other news sources, plus House of Commons library and some academics' spreadsheets they use for polsci research) and even among these apparently reliable sources there were quite a few discrepancies of the kind you mention that I could never resolve! That's what comes of not having a central electoral body to verify the final counts I guess.

(Though I think in the end all the "bigger" ones, 1000+ votes, I was largely able to identify who had made the typo, it's interesting that the errors were still in print a couple of years later. On election night 2019 there were some wildly incorrect figures for Bradford Central doing the rounds online.)
  • Options

I know commenting on appearances is wrong but to me he looks like the manager of a dodgy night club with an over fondness for hair gel.
    Appearances matter. It might be harsh, but they do.

After all, one esteemed pb.com regular thread writer once wrote a header critiquing Osborne’s chances as PM after Cameron partly on the basis he had a ‘punchable face’.
  • Options
    Apparently all the Kinnocks have turned up to the PLP meeting, including Glenys.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Andy_JS said:

BigRich said:

Cookie said:

Interesting,

Many thanks :)
  • Options

trukat said:

ydoethur said:

Not in my view. The affirmation is a religiously neutral thing to say its not an atheist thing to say.

Religion is like a penis. Its fine to have one, its fine to be proud of it. But please don't take it out in public and whip it around and please don't shove it down other people's throats.
    Indeed it's not just non-religious people who'll affirm, religious Quakers (and iirc some other non-conformist Protestants) will affirm on the basis of "no swearing oaths".
  • Options

Apparently all the Kinnocks have turned up to the PLP meeting, including Glenys.

I assume they are all alright?

Ah, my coat.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ah, my coat.
    That's it, that's the gag.
  • Options

Is there a job in the offing?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    edited December 2019

Joking aside, I think Stephen would probably be a very credible leader at this point.

Not on the mad left; respects the referendum; represents the sort of seat that Labour need to move forward in; more concerned with jobs compared to transgender intersectionality or w/e

He wouldn't win but I think he would allow a decent recovery like his father managed.
  • Options
    Classic 'go for the adviser, not the king' type dissembling
    https://twitter.com/HarryYorke1/status/1206851970251862016
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Joking aside, I think Stephen would probably be a very credible leader at this point.

Not on the mad left; respects the referendum; represents the sort of seat that Labour need to move forward in; more concerned with jobs compared to transgender intersectionality or w/e

He wouldn't win but I think he would allow a decent recovery like his father managed.
    Someone on #BBCQT on Friday made the same observation.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Evening all,

A new post-election Corbyn Downfall parody has landed, and oh my God it's devastating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9IOSj3Wivw
  • Options
    Owen Jones v Niall Patterson (Sky News): there can be only one winner

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1207006972538740739
  • Options

RobD said:

Ah, my coat.
    That's it, that's the gag.
    Never gets old.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    If Jess Phillips is being treated as the main figure of hate for the crazed far left, that is probably good. It at least means they are focusing their attention away from another candidate who may have a better chance of beating the annointed one. To keep them distracted, it matters that Phillips gets onto the ballot paper.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,854
    edited December 2019
    Anorak said:

Steady! We were told off earlier for commenting on RLB's appearance, and nobody would ever do that to a man.
    I am given to understand that any abuse of a member of a privileged group, no matter how gross, is allowed because it is punching up. Similarly no abuse of an unprivileged group, no matter how mild, is allowed because it is punching down.

I know this because many people in the Guardian and many arts reviews insist on this point and take care to ruin the lives of those obviously evil people who may disagree. And who am I to gainsay such paragons of morality.... :(:(
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Why.Does.That. Matter? Is changing the debate all that Corbyn aspires to? Christ, he really does think winning and enacting policies is a betrayal, doesn't he?
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1207007855087378435

It already has a mass membership, what is he even talking about?
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1207008139536678912
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    edited December 2019
    (deleted, mixing up two people)
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I get that Labour will not think everything they proposed or even everything about Corbyn is wrong and should be rejected, and that's reasonable and true, they had good ideas and even Corbyn has good points. But this phony 'must look at our mistakes, but also conclude everything we proposed was great, and it was the eeevil media's fault' shit is boneheaded and pathetic.

The country needing a good opposition deserves better than a leadership so personally arrogant that, even as they show faux humility, they as good as say they won when they lost. It's like if Boris says something reasonable then does something terrible, that would not make him reasonable, and Labour pretending they want to reflect on things when the leadership has already decided they won the arguments makes any preceding statements about reflection lies.
  • Options
  • Options

Appearances matter. It might be harsh, but they do.

After all, one esteemed pb.com regular thread writer once wrote a header critiquing Osborne’s chances as PM after Cameron partly on the basis he had a ‘punchable face’.
    That is true though.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It already has a mass membership, what is he even talking about?
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1207008139536678912

Translation: "Don't even think about going for momentum, or reversing the decision to allow the members to select the leader".

Read alongside Formby's comment about vetting, it's *yet another* hard left ploy to remain in control, and in power of the party.

Being in control of the country comes a weak second in their priorities.
  • Options
    only need to be lucky once.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I take responsibility, but here's reasons none of it was my fault, it was the eevill media again.
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1207011601137700866
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    No surprise at all that the age crossover point has moved downwards. This is what one would expect in case of a sizeable Conservative victory - and, as long as they can keep it around 40, they'll keep winning and winning.

The median age of the population is now just over 40, and should continue to creep up gradually for many years to come - which, given that children don't have the vote, evidently leaves the party that is most popular amongst everyone aged around 40 and over at a great advantage. If the Tories can fix housing, and thus prevent the numbers of frustrated, trapped middle-aged renters from ballooning, then they may be able to keep going for a long time.

Labour, on the other hand, might have to wait for the proportion of BAME voters in the upper age groups to start to rise substantially before it can get back into the game - and pray that the Tories don't work out how to connect with Black and Muslim voters in the meantime...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    edited December 2019
    If it ends up as Starmer v Long-Bailey I would have thought there's a good chance that Starmer will massively outperform RLB in TV debates etc.

Even if membership is closer to RLB on policy, I think Starmer could still easily win if he is seen as a much more credible PM - which I think he will be.

RLB doesn't have Corbyn's personality. Sure, she doesn't have his baggage either but Corbyn's personality was very important in giving him the lift-off needed to win.

In contrast RLB comes across as very robotic. I think Rayner would score much higher on personality than RLB.
  • Options
    Labour have missed a trick by not live streaming the PLP on a pay per view basis this evening. Would have raised a few bob for those depleted coffers:

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1207015021932417027
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

No surprise at all that the age crossover point has moved downwards. This is what one would expect in case of a sizeable Conservative victory - and, as long as they can keep it around 40, they'll keep winning and winning.

The median age of the population is now just over 40, and should continue to creep up gradually for many years to come - which, given that children don't have the vote, evidently leaves the party that is most popular amongst everyone aged around 40 and over at a great advantage. If the Tories can fix housing, and thus prevent the numbers of frustrated, trapped middle-aged renters from ballooning, then they may be able to keep going for a long time.

Labour, on the other hand, might have to wait for the proportion of BAME voters in the upper age groups to start to rise substantially before it can get back into the game - and pray that the Tories don't work out how to connect with Black and Muslim voters in the meantime...

One of the graphs that isn't shown above is the education one. Labour still well ahead among those with degrees.

The number with degrees jumped in the 90s, making those under 45 much more likely to have a degree. Now it may be that the link between degrees and voting Labour is a true one, or it's actually a consequence of the link between age and voting Labour, but if it's the former, then the Tories would be in trouble.

They might want to concentrate on life expectancy as a target as well as housing :)
  • Options

What hope for labour until they eradicate momentum

Time is coming to split
    No point splitting unless one wants decades of good or bad Boris governments. Simon Jenkins wrote an interesting piece today about the LDs being a drag on Labour. I was surprised as I thought of him as a Thatcherite. His point is valid, and may even assist in sidelining the momentum morons. Conversely it might not.

Labour has always had a mad fringe element, unfortunately it is that group of individuals who are asleep at the wheel at present. Rebecca Long Bailey has already achieved satanic status on PB and she will in the red top press, but should any of the current runners and riders start to do ok against Boris, they too will be seen as Stalin's love-children. I suspect like Kinnock before her RLB will jettison the extreme lefty nonsense if she feels it will prevent her becoming PM. She is a Manchester Solicitor, so presumably not dumb like Corbyn.

Don't for one moment think the Conservative Party has never been and isn't currently infiltrated by the clinically unpleasant either. Rather than libel the current guilty parties, I suggest Enoch and his chum Peter Griffiths fit that frame quite nicely for starters.

For all his blonde, cuddly, loveliness, Johnson has form for being both inept (MrsRatcliffe) and conniving (Cameron and May). History may be kind to Johnson, and future generations may look on his tenure as the golden age of British Conservative politics. The opposite might also be true, and under those circumstances BigG, even you don't want a split and ineffectual opposition.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    MikeL said:

If it ends up as Starmer v Long-Bailey I would have thought there's a good chance that Starmer will massively outperform RLB in TV debates etc.

Even if membership is closer to RLB on policy, I think Starmer could still easily win if he is seen as a much more credible PM - which I think he will be.

RLB doesn't have Corbyn's personality. Sure, she doesn't have his baggage either but Corbyn's personality was very important in giving him the lift-off needed to win.

In contrast RLB comes across as very robotic. I think Rayner would score much higher on personality than RLB.

I’m afraid the faithful have already made up their minds even before they know who is standing it’s already ‘RBL IS THE ONE’ get behind her
  • Options
    Is there not a middle ground for some Labour MPs who don't feel Corbyn was terrible in all ways, but still don't think it is helpful to bang on about how great he is and that really the result has much to celebrate about it?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,854
    This is that "soccer" thing again, isn't it?
  • Options
    Thanks for that. Is there a book on how many times Jack Grealish will fall over in the penalty area?
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
This discussion has been closed.