Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some fascinating analysis by YouGov

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    viewcode said:

This is that "soccer" thing again, isn't it?
    I thought a team won it last year.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Or was it genk?
  • Options

Or was it genk?
    Salzburg!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,275
    Zac Goldsmith isn't in the Cabinet, is he?
  • Options
    nova said:

No surprise at all that the age crossover point has moved downwards. This is what one would expect in case of a sizeable Conservative victory - and, as long as they can keep it around 40, they'll keep winning and winning.

The median age of the population is now just over 40, and should continue to creep up gradually for many years to come - which, given that children don't have the vote, evidently leaves the party that is most popular amongst everyone aged around 40 and over at a great advantage. If the Tories can fix housing, and thus prevent the numbers of frustrated, trapped middle-aged renters from ballooning, then they may be able to keep going for a long time.

Labour, on the other hand, might have to wait for the proportion of BAME voters in the upper age groups to start to rise substantially before it can get back into the game - and pray that the Tories don't work out how to connect with Black and Muslim voters in the meantime...

One of the graphs that isn't shown above is the education one. Labour still well ahead among those with degrees.

The number with degrees jumped in the 90s, making those under 45 much more likely to have a degree. Now it may be that the link between degrees and voting Labour is a true one, or it's actually a consequence of the link between age and voting Labour, but if it's the former, then the Tories would be in trouble.

They might want to concentrate on life expectancy as a target as well as housing :)
    I understood, but I'd have to see the research, that once you controlled for age, the correlation between Lab vote and degrees reduced to practically zero.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Is the Goldsmith elevation and retention as environment minister a nail in the coffin for the Heathrow 3rd Runway?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

But they get to try again every year, they don’t need to wait for a generation😊
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    rcs1000 said:

Attends Cabinet.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,018
    alex_ said:

rcs1000 said:

Attends Cabinet.
    Present but not involved?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    edited December 2019

Evening all,

A new post-election Corbyn Downfall parody has landed, and oh my God it's devastating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9IOSj3Wivw

"Where the hell is Stormzy?"

IDK, I recall reading on the BBC that Grime was not as passionate about Corbyn as they used to be

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-50389374

But that's probably just the evil media talking again.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

nova said:

No surprise at all that the age crossover point has moved downwards. This is what one would expect in case of a sizeable Conservative victory - and, as long as they can keep it around 40, they'll keep winning and winning.

The median age of the population is now just over 40, and should continue to creep up gradually for many years to come - which, given that children don't have the vote, evidently leaves the party that is most popular amongst everyone aged around 40 and over at a great advantage. If the Tories can fix housing, and thus prevent the numbers of frustrated, trapped middle-aged renters from ballooning, then they may be able to keep going for a long time.

Labour, on the other hand, might have to wait for the proportion of BAME voters in the upper age groups to start to rise substantially before it can get back into the game - and pray that the Tories don't work out how to connect with Black and Muslim voters in the meantime...

One of the graphs that isn't shown above is the education one. Labour still well ahead among those with degrees.

The number with degrees jumped in the 90s, making those under 45 much more likely to have a degree. Now it may be that the link between degrees and voting Labour is a true one, or it's actually a consequence of the link between age and voting Labour, but if it's the former, then the Tories would be in trouble.

They might want to concentrate on life expectancy as a target as well as housing :)
    I understood, but I'd have to see the research, that once you controlled for age, the correlation between Lab vote and degrees reduced to practically zero.
    Even if that correlation remained, the relationship would not be with brainpower but with how recently you'd spent a lot of time in a tremendously lefty institution
  • Options
    Jeremy thinks far too much of himself to believe that he has betrayed young peoples' future. Especially when the young people themselves will likely still tell him he is the best.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,191

What hope for labour until they eradicate momentum

Time is coming to split
    No point splitting unless one wants decades of good or bad Boris governments. Simon Jenkins wrote an interesting piece today about the LDs being a drag on Labour. I was surprised as I thought of him as a Thatcherite. His point is valid, and may even assist in sidelining the momentum morons. Conversely it might not.

Labour has always had a mad fringe element, unfortunately it is that group of individuals who are asleep at the wheel at present. Rebecca Long Bailey has already achieved satanic status on PB and she will in the red top press, but should any of the current runners and riders start to do ok against Boris, they too will be seen as Stalin's love-children. I suspect like Kinnock before her RLB will jettison the extreme lefty nonsense if she feels it will prevent her becoming PM. She is a Manchester Solicitor, so presumably not dumb like Corbyn.

Don't for one moment think the Conservative Party has never been and isn't currently infiltrated by the clinically unpleasant either. Rather than libel the current guilty parties, I suggest Enoch and his chum Peter Griffiths fit that frame quite nicely for starters.

For all his blonde, cuddly, loveliness, Johnson has form for being both inept (MrsRatcliffe) and conniving (Cameron and May). History may be kind to Johnson, and future generations may look on his tenure as the golden age of British Conservative politics. The opposite might also be true, and under those circumstances BigG, even you don't want a split and ineffectual opposition.
    But the Conservative Party didn't elect Enoch as the party leader, now did it? In fact it threw him out of the Cabinet and blocked his career so much he had to go sit in Northern Ireland. It didn't stand outside Party HQ and shout "WE HAVE A VACANCY FOR THE STUPIDEST LEFT-WING F**K IMAGINABLE! PLEASE FORM AN ORDERLY QUEUE"

And as for Simon Jenkins, why why must I be afflicted with the witterings of another paradigmatic metropolitan aristo? He's up there with Rod Liddle and [long sweary list redacted] who, when I am elected Supreme Commander, I will cheerfully throw into a pit of scorpions.
  • Options

Or was it genk?
    Salzburg!
    That was a great trading bet.

If Liverpool win tonight I'll eat a pizza with a pineapple topping.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

nova said:

YouGov said after the last election: "Part of this relationship is down to age – the expansion of education means that, on average, the young have more qualifications than the old, although the Conservatives still have a “graduate problem” even after accounting for this."
  • Options

Time is coming to split
    No point splitting unless one wants decades of good or bad Boris governments. Simon Jenkins wrote an interesting piece today about the LDs being a drag on Labour. I was surprised as I thought of him as a Thatcherite. His point is valid, and may even assist in sidelining the momentum morons. Conversely it might not.

Labour has always had a mad fringe element, unfortunately it is that group of individuals who are asleep at the wheel at present. Rebecca Long Bailey has already achieved satanic status on PB and she will in the red top press, but should any of the current runners and riders start to do ok against Boris, they too will be seen as Stalin's love-children. I suspect like Kinnock before her RLB will jettison the extreme lefty nonsense if she feels it will prevent her becoming PM. She is a Manchester Solicitor, so presumably not dumb like Corbyn.

Don't for one moment think the Conservative Party has never been and isn't currently infiltrated by the clinically unpleasant either. Rather than libel the current guilty parties, I suggest Enoch and his chum Peter Griffiths fit that frame quite nicely for starters.

For all his blonde, cuddly, loveliness, Johnson has form for being both inept (MrsRatcliffe) and conniving (Cameron and May). History may be kind to Johnson, and future generations may look on his tenure as the golden age of British Conservative politics. The opposite might also be true, and under those circumstances BigG, even you don't want a split and ineffectual opposition.
    No - I really do not want a split opposition but equally momentum need to be sidelined
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Apparently all the Kinnocks have turned up to the PLP meeting, including Glenys.

Joking aside, I think Stephen would probably be a very credible leader at this point.

Not on the mad left; respects the referendum; represents the sort of seat that Labour need to move forward in; more concerned with jobs compared to transgender intersectionality or w/e

He wouldn't win but I think he would allow a decent recovery like his father managed.
    He sounds very sensible and intelligent, I was thinking the same.
  • Options
    It appears the boy scouts have nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    alex_ said:

Is the Goldsmith elevation and retention as environment minister a nail in the coffin for the Heathrow 3rd Runway?

Good Point, Pity.

Although, now he does not have to worry to much about winning Richmond, perhaps he can be/will be more amenable?
  • Options

Or was it genk?
    Salzburg!
    That was a great trading bet.

If Liverpool win tonight I'll eat a pizza with a pineapple topping.
    Dominoes for you at the weekend, then? Lol
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,510
    viewcode said:

Time is coming to split

But the Conservative Party didn't elect Enoch as the party leader, now did it? In fact it threw him out of the Cabinet and blocked his career so much he had to go sit in Northern Ireland. It didn't stand outside Party HQ and shout "WE HAVE A VACANCY FOR THE STUPIDEST LEFT-WING F**K IMAGINABLE! PLEASE FORM AN ORDERLY QUEUE"

And as for Simon Jenkins, why why must I be afflicted with the witterings of another paradigmatic metropolitan aristo? He's up there with Rod Liddle and [long sweary list redacted] who, when I am elected Supreme Commander, I will cheerfully throw into a pit of scorpions.
    If Ted Heath had set up a £3 (or 3/-) associate membership scheme, you can bet your boots Enoch would have had a shot at becoming Tory leader. IIRC Enoch left because of Heath's pro-European journey. Enoch and Peter Griffiths would have fitted quite well into today's Conservative Party on the Europe point alone.
  • Options
    Good evening everyone. My first visit since just before the exit poll. Couldn't face the hubris on here.
    Anyone, I cant bring myself to say good luck to BJ and his mob, but will say I will be waiting ing to call him out when he inevitably breaks the promises he made.
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

Good evening everyone. My first visit since just before the exit poll. Couldn't face the hubris on here.
    Anyone, I cant bring myself to say good luck to BJ and his mob, but will say I will be waiting ing to call him out when he inevitably breaks the promises he made.

There's already protesting on the English streets..
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    HYUFD said:
    Labour Party to discover a sudden interest in PR?

Until they next win an election, when it will mysteriously evaporate.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Well IIRC I don't remember it in their manifesto, which had votes at 16 and so on, so if they do go for it it definitely is result dependent rather than principle.
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

The sound of celebratory gunfire on here was deafening for days. It was reminiscent of the Ayatollah Khomeini's homecoming to Tehran.
  • Options

Time is coming to split

No - I really do not want a split opposition but equally momentum need to be sidelined
    Sidelined off a cliff hopefully.
  • Options

valleyboy said:

The sound of celebratory gunfire on here was deafening for days. It was reminiscent of the Ayatollah Khomeini's homecoming to Tehran.
    What better way to celebrate the ninth year of the thousand year PB Tory reich? :)
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

Celebrating a victory, a big one, would not be hubris. Hubris is those thinking 2029 is already in the bag!
  • Options
    What a very rude man! We don't want his sort in our little perpetual opposition cabal!
  • Options

Time is coming to split

Momentum have something to offer. Hopefully this time it will be for the Labour Party, not the Tories.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    valleyboy said:

Labour did pretty well in South Wales (better than I was expecting).

So you can be pretty pleased that your region held up well.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,726
    edited December 2019
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Well IIRC I don't remember it in their manifesto, which had votes at 16 and so on, so if they do go for it it definitely is result dependent rather than principle.
    Is there any evidence what older voters think about votes at 16? I wonder if they are a bit hostile, and being older and more conservative leaning it is not going to help the Labour cause. Personally while there is clearly a case for it, there is a good case against as well. Older voters may think 16 year olds are a bit lacking in mature independent judgement.

• Options
    Almost wiped out the election victory currency boost not a bad days work!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,148
    ydoethur said:

Interesting watching MPs swearing in - the first to affirm was Corbyn....most Labour Front Benchers have been swearing

I'm not f***ing surprised after that debacle.
    Any Shinners sighted?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Is there any evidence what older voters think about votes at 16? I wonder if they are a bit hostile, and being older and more conservative leaning it is not going to help the Labour cause. Personally while there is clearly a case for it, there is a good case against as well. Older voters may think 16 year olds are a bit lacking in mature independent judgement.

Most 70+ voters would raise the voting age to whatever ensured a Tory victory
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Keir is 3.1?! That would have got me out of trouble, if I hadn’t laid him too!! 🙈

• Options

What a very rude man! We don't want his sort in our little perpetual opposition cabal!
    When I was an unsuccessful candidate in the 2010 election David Cameron had a reception at 10 downing Street to personally apologize to 100 or so of us from target seats. And when I say 'personally' he made sure he remembered all of us by name without an assistant telling them who we were and came round one by one. I felt we owed him an apology for not having delivered him a majority and he felt he owed us an apology for not having lifted this over the threshold to win our seats. Compare and contrast that's all I have to say.
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

Time is coming to split

Momentum have something to offer. Hopefully this time it will be for the Labour Party, not the Tories.
    Momentum's sole offering is called 'Socialist Worker', it is a nonsensical comic and they sell it on street corners.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    Marcus01 said:

When I was an unsuccessful candidate in the 2010 election David Cameron had a reception at 10 downing Street to personally apologize to 100 or so of us from target seats. And when I say 'personally' he made sure he remembered all of us by name without an assistant telling them who we were and came round one by one. I felt we owed him an apology for not having delivered him a majority and he felt he owed us an apology for not having lifted this over the threshold to win our seats. Compare and contrast that's all I have to say.
    Theresa May, in 2017, apparently phoned all of the MPs who lost their seats in 2017 personally within the first 24 hours after the election.
  • Options
    Marcus01 said:

Corbyn can barely remember his own name.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Marcus01 said:

Theresa May, in 2017, apparently phoned all of the MPs who lost their seats in 2017 personally within the first 24 hours after the election.
    Fake news.

Ousted Tory MP reveals David Cameron, but not Theresa May, has contacted him

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/theresa-may/news/86583/ousted-tory-mp-reveals-david

I can confirm that Stewart Jackson was not alone.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,795
    spudgfsh said:

Marcus01 said:

I'm sure Nick Clegg appreciated the call.
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

Marcus01 said:

Fake news.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/theresa-may/news/86583/ousted-tory-mp-reveals-david

I believe you, but I'm not sure I'd believe Stewart Jackson told the truth about that, I've seen him in person whinge about May and I don't think he is rational about her.
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

Marcus01 said:

Fake news.

Former hero of this parish!
  • Options
    RobD said:

valleyboy said:

What better way to celebrate the ninth year of the thousand year PB Tory reich? :)
    Could we talk you down to a five hundred year reich?
  • Options

Marcus01 said:

I don't think so, he seems to have a perfect memory for any policy or grievance that existed in 1983.
  • Options

In case anybody is interested (and cos it took time for me to do the calculations from the ONS data!) I'll repeat what I said lower down the thread ... the median age of over 18s only is about 46. The quartiles (bottom 25% and top 25%) are about 32 and 62.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kle4 said:

Evening all,

A new post-election Corbyn Downfall parody has landed, and oh my God it's devastating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9IOSj3Wivw

"Where the hell is Stormzy?"

IDK, I recall reading on the BBC that Grime was not as passionate about Corbyn as they used to be

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-50389374

But that's probably just the evil media talking again.
    "It's not our fault. It was the Zionists" was just so on the nose :wink:
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

Tories 365
    Labour 203

(only kidding!)
  • Options
    I see that in Bury South the Tories took the seat with a majority of 402, while Ivan Lewis got 1366 votes despite withdrawing and endorsing the Conservative candidate - so I guess if he had not done that it truly would have been a Labour hold.
  • Options
    A few things that strike me about demographics at the next election:
    1) the youngest voters who were eligible to vote for TB in 2005 (the last labour 'win') will be 37 in 2024 (assuming a 5 year parliament)
    2) by the use of maths the similar cohort of voters in 2010 will be 32.
    3) First time voters at the next election will have been born between 2001 and 2006.

The age of voters who have never voted for a Labour government will keep going up and this will make it harder for the Tories to maintain the current situation (especially if they've been in power for 14 years).

Assuming that Labour don't form a government at the next election* by the following election there will be a cohort of voters in 2029 who were not born when Labour were last in power. unless Labour keep putting forward the unelectable these voters will become a larger and more important base of the electorate and will start to say 'how bad could a Labour government be?' They did in 1997 (I was one of them).

(* I'm not predicting here I just remember posts by OGH before 2010 stating that no government with a working majority has been replaced by another one of a different party for a long time)
  • Options
    Told you.

Free money.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Marcus01 said:

I don't think so, he seems to have a perfect memory for any policy or grievance that existed in 1983.
    Evil 'Fatcha' conspired against the miners! Have I had my tea yet?
  • Options
    Out of the blocks with a bit of guile and smarts..
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    BigRich said:

alex_ said:

Good Point, Pity.

Although, now he does not have to worry to much about winning Richmond, perhaps he can be/will be more amenable?
    The word seems to be that these present but not involved Cabinet attendees will be abolished when the big reshuffle comes along in February
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Stammer has steamed in on the betting. RLB has gone to @3 having been odds on today.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Marcus01 said:

I think phoning people who you have, in effect, caused to be made redundant is the very least the leader can do but the impressive thing about Cameron that day was that we were just candidates and not sitting MPs. Mind you it is astonishing that Corbyn apparently hasn't even phoned - and gives us a small reminder of what government by the hard left might actually be like.
  • Options
    isam said:

Keir is 3.1?! That would have got me out of trouble, if I hadn’t laid him too!! 🙈

Bonkers day, I never laid RLB after threatening to do so when she went odds on.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Stammer has steamed in on the betting. RLB has gone to @3 having been odds on today.

I’ve laid em both at 7/2 glug glug
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

valleyboy said:

Wasn't it only 12 years in the end? :lol:
  • Options
    Alistair said:

isam said:

I did lay her a bit, but also KS
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    That went well

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7802757/The-problem-Furious-Labour-MPs-tear-Jeremy-Corbyn-partys-election-humiliation.html

Speaking to reporters on the way in, Manchester Central MP Lucy Powell asked reporters: 'We're irrelevant. Why do you give a f***?'
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Can I just clarify what your position is on that KT tweet, Just to check how far you're down the Trump rabbit hole like?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

valleyboy said:

750? :p
  • Options
    isam said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

I did lay her a bit, but also KS
    I would consider laying RLB but not KS.
  • Options

Told you.

Free money.

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,447
    edited December 2019
    Glad to see that the PLP are cowards. "Go now Jeremy it's your fault". "No". "Oh ok then please lead us some more".

Pointless cowards
  • Options

Told you.

Free money.

Only 4-0 at half time...
  • Options

Glad to see that the PLP are cowards. "Go now Jeremy it's your fault". "No". "Oh ok then please lead us some more".

Pointless cowards

If the useless potatoes simply sit on the green benches for long enough then those who don't die of old age will be back in power eventually. I mean, even if Boris Johnson turns out to be a good Prime Minister, the public will eventually get bored of the Tories and Buggins' turn will apply.

There is no justice in any of this, of course - the entire North London cabal survived, and Caroline Flint got the chop whilst Mr Bacon Sandwich didn't - but who said politics was fair?
  • Options

Pointless cowards

I keep saying this. One more heave, third time lucky!
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Pointless cowards

If the useless potatoes simply sit on the green benches for long enough then those who don't die of old age will be back in power eventually. I mean, even if Boris Johnson turns out to be a good Prime Minister, the public will eventually get bored of the Tories and Buggins' turn will apply.

There is no justice in any of this, of course - the entire North London cabal survived, and Caroline Flint got the chop whilst Mr Bacon Sandwich didn't - but who said politics was fair?
    We may have to stop making the android jokes about their voters now that we've learned how to reprogramme some of them :wink:
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Marcus01 said:

spudgfsh said:

Marcus01 said:

I think phoning people who you have, in effect, caused to be made redundant is the very least the leader can do but the impressive thing about Cameron that day was that we were just candidates and not sitting MPs. Mind you it is astonishing that Corbyn apparently hasn't even phoned - and gives us a small reminder of what government by the hard left might actually be like.
    His apology said "I will take my share of the failure" IIRC, notice the "my" in there. I think he sees the failure as a group effort, so the MP's that lost their seats must share their part of the blame.
    But really he does not see himself as answerable to the PLP, he seems himself as answerable to the Membership.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,795

HYUFD said:
    Can I just clarify what your position is on that KT tweet, Just to check how far you're down the Trump rabbit hole like?
    You ask this of the person who wants to send an armed militia to Scotland to drag grannies out of polling places should there be a second independence referendum.

• Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,018
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

You're not an adult at 16. You can't smoke, drink, drive a car, fight in a war or even leave school at that age any more. You have no life experience and probably still live in your parents house under their rules. I can think of no justification for allowing enfranchisement at that age.
  • Options
    Elections have consequences.

Sometimes.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    You ask this of the person who wants to send an armed militia to Scotland to drag grannies out of polling places should there be a second independence referendum.

I think about HYUFD's Le Pen ramping a lot.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

You're not an adult at 16. You can't smoke, drink, drive a car, fight in a war or even leave school at that age any more. You have no life experience and probably still live in your parents house under their rules. I can think of no justification for allowing enfranchisement at that age.
    There's plenty of justification to be given (or invented) by any party for which children are more likely to vote. Hence the fact that I suspect that Labour will cut the voting age to 16 as soon as they next get the chance.

Unless they need to rely on the Greens for their majority, in which case it'll go down to seven.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Och, I'm always hoping for the best in people..
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,007
    spudgfsh said:

Told you.

Free money.

Only 4-0 at half time...
    Rather reminiscent of this classic match. Liverpool in Red of course.

https://youtu.be/N_5u2eQG59o
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Basing the age of enfranchisement on your criteria, perhaps Boris should consider raising the age at which one can smoke, drink, drive a car or enlist to 50.
  • Options
    Starmer looks a clear lay at current prices.

Has Thornberry ruled herself out?

At 65s she might be worth a fiver.
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_uOgyBK1c
  • Options
    Hats off to OGH for this thread back on July 2nd when Long-Bailey was at about 9/1.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/07/02/corbyns-protegee-rebecca-long-bailey-now-betting-favourite-to-be-his-successor/

The comments are interesting with hindsight. Particularly this one:
    Roger said:

I've got more chance of captaining the England Women's football team than Long -Bailey has of becoming Labour leader.

• Options

Starmer looks a clear lay at current prices.

Has Thornberry ruled herself out?

At 65s she might be worth a fiver.

I tend to agree but my worry is that there will only be 2 candidates and then Stamer's price won't move out.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Is this a discussion about the minimum age at which boys should be allowed to play for the Liverpool 1st team?
  • Options

Pointless cowards

I keep saying this. One more heave, third time lucky!
    I do worry that the Loony Left will eventually get in if it keeps banging on about the NHS for long enough, although the collapse of the Red Wall gives me some hope. If (and it's a big "if") the Tories can make a decent fist of delivering for these parts of the country, then there is a distinct possibility that they will go safe for the blues and may never go back to Labour again.

Bear in mind what's happened in the States, with the Republicans starting to do very well amongst lower income voters and the Democrats finding their support concentrated amongst middle-class left-liberals and ethnic minorities. As there, so here - except the ethnic minority vote is a smaller fraction of the British electorate and largely concentrated in Labour's remaining safe seats in the urban cores.

And, of course, if Scotland goes then the Left's crutch is kicked away. The Tory majority in rUK isn't 80. It's 127.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    Trump is completely off his rocker, and genuinely dangerous now. I expect 2020 will be a total shitstorm in the US. God help us all.
This discussion has been closed.