Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tomas Forsey puts Thursday’s result into context

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tomas Forsey puts Thursday’s result into context

!function(){"use strict";window.addEventListener("message",function(a){if(void 0!==a.data["datawrapper-height"])for(var e in a.data["datawrapper-height"]){var t=document.getElementById("datawrapper-chart-"+e)||document.querySelector("iframe[src*='"+e+"']");t&&(t.style.height=a.data["datawrapper-height"][e]+"px")}})}();

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    First!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    edited December 2019
    Second! I woke early, too. Plan for today is a pre-Christmas visit at lunchtime by both sons and part at least of their families.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Second! I woke early, too. Plan for today is a pre-Christmas visit at lunchtime by both sons and part at least of their families.

My sleeping pattern is fucked at the moment, will try and get it back on track today somehow.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898

Part of their families, sounds like a Tom Lehrer song.

"I hold your hand in mine dear......."
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    HaroldO said:

My sleeping pattern is fucked at the moment, will try and get it back on track today somehow.
    Don't try too hard, or irritatingly, you won't succeed. Relaxing evening with an entertaining book, rather than TV, helps. Or at least is alleged to! Good luck.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Part of their families, sounds like a Tom Lehrer song.

"I hold your hand in mine dear......."
    LOL; only one of the seven grandchildren will be with us; one son lives in Thailand; he's over here for work but as it's only a flying visit, just him. Elder grandchildren have their own lives, and indeed one now lives in Leeds. Long way to come for lunch! Grandson 2, still at school, has a part-time job in a bar-restaurant, so of course it's a busy time.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Ken Livingstone trying to convince Sky that Labour anti Semitism is a Blairite conspiracy
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    Off to Australia on 23rd - son and Australian/English two granddaughters live there and conveniently - for 9 months - so does my daughter with my Spanish/English two granddaughters.

All together in Sydney from 7am Christmas day then all together up the coast for a week!

• Options

Ken Livingstone trying to convince Sky that Labour anti Semitism is a Blairite conspiracy

He just never changes. Racist old nutjob.
  • Options

Another one whose ship has sailed!
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Off to Australia on 23rd - son and Australian/English two granddaughters live there and conveniently - for 9 months - so does my daughter with my Spanish/English two granddaughters.

All together in Sydney from 7am Christmas day then all together up the coast for a week!

Sounds great. Mind the fires, though.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

Well, it's a slight improvement on a Zionist conspiracy.
  • Options
    Mini-gloat time: I backed Rebecca Long-Bailey at odds of between 300 and 400 for next Labour leader. She’s now favourite, last traded at 4.5 on Betfair.
  • Options
    Well the Labour self relfection is going well, the Corbynite wing is already attacking the reformers en masse and Brexit is being held up as the primary reason for the failure even by Corbyn himself. This all indicates that they are happy to be a pressure group and not a true opposition in any historical sense, this in my opinion is awful for our way of undertaking governance as without oversight bad laws will be passed and we cannot afford that. Whomever becomes leader next must be competent, it doesn't matter what wing they are from they just have to be able to do the damn job.

The Tories seem to already have plans in place to invest in the north, I think someone posted to me yesterday that the manifesto writers have been planning this for a few months at least. They really must have worked on this in focus groups that us normies didn't know about because the speeches and press releases on this subject came out too fast for it to be on the hoof.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,352

Mini-gloat time: I backed Rebecca Long-Bailey at odds of between 300 and 400 for next Labour leader. She’s now favourite, last traded at 4.5 on Betfair.

..and with Corbyn staying on to oversee the transition to a new leader, you are likely to get paid out.
    She is fecked from the start, known as...Rebecca Wrong- Daily, her future is assured.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,287
    HaroldO said:

Well the Labour self relfection is going well, the Corbynite wing is already attacking the reformers en masse and Brexit is being held up as the primary reason for the failure even by Corbyn himself. This all indicates that they are happy to be a pressure group and not a true opposition in any historical sense, this in my opinion is awful for our way of undertaking governance as without oversight bad laws will be passed and we cannot afford that. Whomever becomes leader next must be competent, it doesn't matter what wing they are from they just have to be able to do the damn job.

The Tories seem to already have plans in place to invest in the north, I think someone posted to me yesterday that the manifesto writers have been planning this for a few months at least. They really must have worked on this in focus groups that us normies didn't know about because the speeches and press releases on this subject came out too fast for it to be on the hoof.

I wrote about this yesterday. It is the obvious response to their success in the north and desire to build and consolidate that new coalition they have brought together.

Boris also has a weakness for large infrastructure projects from his proposed airport in the Thames estuary to the garden bridge to the rather more useful Crossrail and the Olympic investment (I know some of these started before his time but he strongly supported them). HS2 is now nailed on. Hopefully some of the new ideas will do some good and help to rebalance our economy.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,287
    Looking at the Charts for the Tories to increase their share of the vote 5 times in a row, 3 of them in office is truly remarkable and surely could not have been achieved without substantial assistance from the Labour Party.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,446

300 to 400! When did you get on that? Well done!
  • Options
    Cookie said:

October 2016.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2019
    Hey, remember when the head of Better Together was wrong yet again

https://twitter.com/MammothWhale/status/1205911542543388672?s=19

Unilateral deceleration of independence NOW.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

The more the far-left spouts its bile, bigotry, bad-takes and bollocks in public the better. They can only harm themselves now.

• Options

Cash in would be my advice!

• Options

HaroldO said:

The more the far-left spouts its bile, bigotry, bad-takes and bollocks in public the better. They can only harm themselves now.

I hope so, a government without an opposition is a worrying prospect. I have the feeling though things will get worse before they get better, Labour may split and have to rebuild.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Interesting graphs, and quite useful.

I still think Labour MPs need to axe Corbyn now.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Cookie said:

October 2016.
    Playing the long game there, well done.

Still can't see her getting close to winning though. They need someone who looks and sounds like a PM in waiting, can master policy detail on a day-to-day basis to hold the government to account, and isn't going to come up with a manifesto with a trillion or two in extra borrowing and wide scale confiscation of private property.

Kier Starmer?

But then we come back to the leadership election, and there's nothing there to stop hundreds of thousands of 'supporters' doing again what they did in 2015 and 2016.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Each of the big unions and momentum will pick a candidate. The winner will probably be the one momentum supports, unless some of the big unions work together.

To understand the leadership election you need to look into mp sponsorship/affiliation.

The big question is how flexible Union/momentum leadership will be to find a ‘winner’. Unions especially demand a ROI.

• Options
    HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

I hope so, a government without an opposition is a worrying prospect. I have the feeling though things will get worse before they get better, Labour may split and have to rebuild.

If it does, it does. The party now has the chance to make the right decisions for the first time in a decade. If it decides not to, then obviously it will die.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited December 2019
    Jonathan said:

Each of the big unions and momentum will pick a candidate. The winner will probably be the one momentum supports, unless some of the big unions work together.

To understand the leadership election you need to look into mp sponsorship/affiliation.

The big question is how flexible Union/momentum leadership will be to find a ‘winner’. Unions especially demand a ROI.

My sense is that behind the angry Tweets and the full-scale denial in the press, the far-left senses it may be in danger of losing its grip. The scale of this defeat is so huge and so humiliating that there is no hiding place. The 2017 smokescreen has been erased. The elctorate has delivered its judgment on Corbyn and the Bennite nostalgia he stood for. It is a damning one. My guess is that a lot of wool is falling off a lot of eyes right now among normal Labour members.

• Options
    twistedfirestopper3twistedfirestopper3 Posts: 2,077
    edited December 2019
    I'm sure this has been commented on, but I've only just read it. Corbyn lives in a different universe to the rest of us.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/14/we-won-the-argument-but-i-regret-we-didnt-convert-that-into-a-majority-for-change
  • Options

Jonathan said:

My sense is that behind the angry Tweets and the full-scale denial in the press, the far-left senses it may be in danger of losing its grip. The scale of this defeat is so huge and so humiliating that there is no hiding place. The 2017 smokescreen has been erased. The elctorate has delivered its judgment on Corbyn and the Bennite nostalgia he stood for. It is a damning one. My guess is that a lot of wool is falling off a lot of eyes right now among normal Labour members.

The unions will want a winner. It is possible that it is not Unite’s turn. Check out who Unions or GMB might back.

Whoever it is will need to get Lansman on board. I suspect he might be surprisingly flexible.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The unions will want a winner. It is possible that it is not Unite’s turn. Check out who Unions or GMB might back.

Whoever it is will need to get Lansman on board. I suspect he might be surprisingly flexible.
    Sent you a message.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    She's colourful, without being necessarily as sharp as Angela Rayner, but she's right that there are corners of the party that have stopped listening to other possibilities, and that applies both to the ultra-Corbynites and those who think that picking up where Blair left off in 2007, just before the crash, will work.
  • Options
    It won’t be Starmer and probably it Thornberry. Anyone tainted with London liberal remainia is unlikely to get it.
  • Options
    Interesting article from Peter Kelner on tactical voting and why it didn’t have the impact that was expected:
    https://theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/14/tactical-voting-what-went-wrong-general-election-2019

tl;dr version: not enough Lib Dems were prepared to vote for Corbyn.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I think Lansman may be eaten up in Momentum in-fighting. But if he survives he is a factionalist first and last and will need to be steered around. He really has very little interest in Labour winning power. For me, a Labour party that puts women like Jess Phillips, Lisa Nandy, Stella Creasey and Yvette Cooper in senior positions of responsibility is a party that has a chance. A Labour party that ignores them is finally going to die.

• Options
    DavidL said:

HaroldO said:

I wrote about this yesterday. It is the obvious response to their success in the north and desire to build and consolidate that new coalition they have brought together.

Boris also has a weakness for large infrastructure projects from his proposed airport in the Thames estuary to the garden bridge to the rather more useful Crossrail and the Olympic investment (I know some of these started before his time but he strongly supported them). HS2 is now nailed on. Hopefully some of the new ideas will do some good and help to rebalance our economy.
    The issue won't be the money. It will be the skills and availability of workers available to do it. If he pushes ahead regardless it will just inflate rates, wages and costs.

Right now there are about three major programmes I could be working on.
  • Options
    Good morning

Labour are facing the prospect of becoming irrelevant in UK politics, unless they can detach momentum

It has happened in Scotland and the earthquake last thursday has put them perilously close to the same in England and Wales, apart from London

If Boris does a SNP in England and Wales over the next five years, he could be looking at 15 years as PM
  • Options

I'm sure this has been commented on, but I've only just read it. Corbyn lives in a different universe to the rest of us.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/14/we-won-the-argument-but-i-regret-we-didnt-convert-that-into-a-majority-for-change

Corbyn lives where he has always lived - deep inside his comfort zone. He made up his mind in 1969.

• Options

Jonathan said:

The FBU is balls deep in Corbynism. They love him, and urged us all to love him too. I've had 5 weeks of Facebook posts from usually sane colleagues arguing like students about how Corbyn will lead us to the promised land. It's been strangely quiet since Thursday night. I'm pretty certain the FBU will want to stick with Corbynism.
  • Options

DavidL said:

HaroldO said:

The issue won't be the money. It will be the skills and availability of workers available to do it. If he pushes ahead regardless it will just inflate rates, wages and costs.

Yep - big infrastructure projects need immigrants.

• Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited December 2019

DavidL said:

HaroldO said:

What is public/private split on these big projects? I remember reading that the new Spurs’ ground was employing every available electrician in London at one point, though I expect that was an exaggeration.
  • Options

Good morning

Labour are facing the prospect of becoming irrelevant in UK politics, unless they can detach momentum

It has happened in Scotland and the earthquake last thursday has put them perilously close to the same in England and Wales, apart from London

If Boris does a SNP in England and Wales over the next five years, he could be looking at 15 years as PM

The SNP can always define itself against Westminster. Once we are out of the EU who will Johnson's bogeymen be? He controls it all.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The FBU is balls deep in Corbynism. They love him, and urged us all to love him too. I've had 5 weeks of Facebook posts from usually sane colleagues arguing like students about how Corbyn will lead us to the promised land. It's been strangely quiet since Thursday night. I'm pretty certain the FBU will want to stick with Corbynism.

Yep - some unions are essentially private fiefdoms for a few far left agitators. But the bigger ones with big memberships usually have to be slightly more pragmatic (Unite aside).

• Options

Jonathan said:

I wish I shared your optimism.

2017 was the worst thing. It's convinced them they can win as it was a "near miss", and a much better result that Brown or Miliband in 2010 or 2015 respectively, so it makes it much easier to blame this particular result on the media or Brexit, not the far-left philosophy.
  • Options

Good morning

The SNP can always define itself against Westminster. Once we are out of the EU who will Johnson's bogeymen be? He controls it all.
    To be honest unless labour get their act together I cannot see where any credible opposition comes from. And that is a terrible state of affairs and should concern all those who want to hold the government to account
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I wish I shared your optimism.

2017 was the worst thing. It's convinced them they can win as it was a "near miss", and a much better result that Brown or Miliband in 2010 or 2015 respectively, so it makes it much easier to blame this particular result on the media or Brexit, not the far-left philosophy.

My guess - and I could well be wrong, I admit - is that we are going to find out that, bizarrely enough, a fair proportion of the backing Corbyn got among ordinary Labour members was personal, not entirely political. They saw somethung of themselves in what they imagined him to be. That's why they could never accept he coul be anti-Semitic, for example.

• Options
    Best Labour Tweet of the post-election period ...
    https://twitter.com/KatieCurtis/status/1206127863407218688
  • Options

Good morning

According to my Facebook page....... which urgently needs a sort out ......... John Simpson says that Johnson is boycotting Today (not sure about Radio 4/BBC as a whole) because of the BBC's bias against the Conservatives.
  • Options

DavidL said:

HaroldO said:

No, don't exercise your early morning confirmation bias on me. Trust me: I know a lot more about this issue than you do.

It needs skilled UK project managers, construction managers and engineers. There aren't enough in the UK, sure, but also in the world. We're regularly approached to be poached by Australia, Canada and the US and the skills aren't widely available in the global marketplace either. We've tried multiple times to plug gaps in Crossrail this way. They just aren't there.

What we need is more training and apprenticeships here and more young people doing engineering degrees at university.
  • Options
    twistedfirestopper3twistedfirestopper3 Posts: 2,077
    edited December 2019

DavidL said:

HaroldO said:

What is public/private split on these big projects? I remember reading that the new Spurs’ ground was employing every available electrician in London at one point, though I expect that was an exaggeration.
    I don't know about London, but I've got many friends in the trades. It's a boom time for them at the minute, to the extent that they're picking and choosing work. I'm often regaled with stories of them going to quote for a job, not fancying the job so they put an overpriced quote in and because of the current market and relative scarcity of tradesmen with a window to do the work still getting the job!
  • Options
    With @SouthamObserver pro mass migration memes you can guarantee Labour will be out of power even if it tacks to the centre. And I thought he wanted to win back WWC voters.

Clueless.
  • Options

DavidL said:

HaroldO said:

Very basically, the clienting is all public but the supply chain is all private.

One reason Crossrail is suffering is that there aren't enough radio or signalling engineers to commission the volume of works required in the time required - we're trying to do nine major stations at once, whereas we have the resources to probably only do two or three.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

October 2016.

Still can't see her getting close to winning though. They need someone who looks and sounds like a PM in waiting, can master policy detail on a day-to-day basis to hold the government to account, and isn't going to come up with a manifesto with a trillion or two in extra borrowing and wide scale confiscation of private property.

Kier Starmer?

But then we come back to the leadership election, and there's nothing there to stop hundreds of thousands of 'supporters' doing again what they did in 2015 and 2016.
    The point is, in betting terms we need to ask not, ‘what do Labour need?’ but, ‘who are the membership going to think they need?’

Because that could easily be a very different question. The Tories have an insatiable lust for power that led them to fire IDS, swallow most of Howard’s reforms, elect Cameron and then enter coalition with Clegg.

Labour have an insatiable lust for ideological purity. When given the opportunity to elect Owen Smith as a Howard figure, they chose Corbyn again.

The results may have been longer in coming than expected but they were both inevitable and foreseen at the time. Do the members care? The evidence says no, at the moment. They still seem to think everyone wants Corbynism without Corbyn.

And if he backs (openly or covertly) the egregious Long-Bailey, or even Burgon, that makes them the likely winner.
  • Options

DavidL said:

HaroldO said:

No, don't exercise your early morning confirmation bias on me. Trust me: I know a lot more about this issue than you do.

It needs skilled UK project managers, construction managers and engineers. There aren't enough in the UK, sure, but also in the world. We're regularly approached to be poached by Australia, Canada and the US and the skills aren't widely available in the global marketplace either. We've tried multiple times to plug gaps in Crossrail this way. They just aren't there.

What we need is more training and apprenticeships here and more young people doing engineering degrees at university.

Yes, we do. But if we are going to have major infrastructure projects up and running in the near term at a time of full-employment we are going to need immigrants.

• Options

DavidL said:

HaroldO said:

I don't know about London, but I've got many friends in the trades. It's a boom time for them at the minute, to the extent that they're picking and choosing work. I'm often regaled with stories of them going to quote for a job, not fancying the job so they put an overpriced quote in and because of the current market and relative scarcity of tradesmen with a window to do the work still getting the job!
    And, why wouldn't you?
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Do the Corbynistas not have a point about Brexit and centrist Remainers costing the party votes in Leaverstan?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

With @SouthamObserver pro mass migration memes you can guarantee Labour will be out of power even if it tacks to the centre. And I thought he wanted to win back WWC voters.

Clueless.

It's very difficult to see how Boris Johnson is going to avoid these themes. No crucial trade deals with the huge markets of India and China without migration.
  • Options

Clueless.

I refer you to TwistedFireStopper's post below and your agreement with it.
  • Options

Best Labour Tweet of the post-election period ...
    https://twitter.com/KatieCurtis/status/1206127863407218688

I disagree with her. It’s worse than a waste, it’s actually been very damaging. Even if Labour do elect somebody vaguely sane and competent, there is going to remain a residual suspicion that the antisemites and terrorphiles will be back given half a chance. That could easily continue to depress their vote. In particular, it makes them much less attractive to potential tactical voters.
  • Options

Clueless.

It's very difficult to see how Boris Johnson is going to avoid these themes. No crucial trade deals with the huge markets of India and China without migration.

Casino agrees that ther eis a shortage of supply of the people needed to work on major infrastructure projects in the UK. Thus, if we want to invest in infrastructure we are going to need to bring people in to do the work. It's not a political point, it's a question of logic.

• Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sent you a message.
    Thanks, replied. 🙂
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,379
    edited December 2019

Good morning

According to my Facebook page....... which urgently needs a sort out ......... John Simpson says that Johnson is boycotting Today (not sure about Radio 4/BBC as a whole) because of the BBC's bias against the Conservatives.
    Whereas in fact Boris is boycotting Today for the same reason he ducked Andrew Neil, Jeremy Vine, and the debates. Boris hates scrutiny, being held to account, and even hard questions. It is a pattern we saw in the Conservative leadership hustings and as Mayor.
  • Options

Clueless.

Saying we need immigrants to work on infrastructure projects is not a mass migration meme. It is a statement of fact.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

HaroldO said:

Do the Corbynistas not have a point about Brexit and centrist Remainers costing the party votes in Leaverstan?
    I think one thing we should not forget is the causes of the Labour implosion are complex. Disillusionment, distrust, a general feeling that the parliamentary party works for a few posh Londoners not the many people who have lost out over the last 40 years, a dislike of the EU, and a personal antipathy to Corbyn. The north has been trending slowly away from Labour since its peak in the 1980s, and that would have continued with or without Corbyn.

But Corbyn crystallised these doubts and symbolised all that was wrong with Labour. That, I fear, is the key reason for their losses. Until the left accept however that it wasn’t just his personality but all he stood for that was rejected, they will be at risk of drawing the wrong lesson.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Clueless.

Casino agrees that ther eis a shortage of supply of the people needed to work on major infrastructure projects in the UK. Thus, if we want to invest in infrastructure we are going to need to bring people in to do the work. It's not a political point, it's a question of logic.

It is a political issue though, because Boris Johnson has led people to believe that immigration will be cut to almost nothing and it will be possible for homegrown re-skilling to fill the gap. Homegrown re-skilling can never fill the gap in that timeframe, and the new immigration will simply be from outside Europe for reasons of trade imperative.
  • Options
    I think Labour’s best bet for leader is Angela Rayner. I think the PLP won’t nominate anyone from the left of the party, it’ll be from the right to the soft left.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Good morning

Alastair Campbell did the same. "We don't take that program very seriously, certainly not as seriously as it takes itself."
  • Options

Clueless.

It is a political issue though, because Boris Johnson has led people to believe that immigration will be cut almost to nothing and it will be possible for homegrown re-skilling to fill the gap. Homegrown re-skilling can never fill the gap in that timeframe, and the new immigration will simply be from outside Europe for reasons of trade imperative.

Yes, I know. Johnson made lots of promises he is not going to be able to keep. But I doubt if bringing people in to work on infrastructure projects is going to cause huge concern. We need them. Just as we need them in the NHS and other areas. Voters understand this.

• Options

DavidL said:

HaroldO said:

Boris also has a weakness for large infrastructure projects from his proposed airport in the Thames estuary to the garden bridge to the rather more useful Crossrail and the Olympic investment (I know some of these started before his time but he strongly supported them). HS2 isw nailed on. Hopefully some of the new ideas will do some good and help to rebalance our economy.

Very basically, the clienting is all public but the supply chain is all private.

One reason Crossrail is suffering is that there aren't enough radio or signalling engineers to commission the volume of works required in the time required - we're trying to do nine major stations at once, whereas we have the resources to probably only do two or three.
    I am curious why crossrail didn’t open incrementally, one station at a time either slowly heading into London, or opening the major stations and filing in the gaps. I am sure they are engineering constraints that make this impossible. But if the project had started with say only 2-3 stations in London, they would have seen an ROI sooner. It’s how we build digital things.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

I think Labour’s best bet for leader is Angela Rayner. I think the PLP won’t nominate anyone from the left of the party, it’ll be from the right to the soft left.

She has a good profile to reasonably unite Labour, as she's liked on the Miliband-era centrist wing of the left - this is a litmus test for viability, more than being most liked by the hardcore Blair or Corbyn era groups.
  • Options

She has a lot of potential. Smart. She is inexperienced and will need support, such as bringing back Cooper as shadow chancellor and/or EdMilliband as foreign secretary.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Good morning

Ha. You really think they will struggle in that respect? Look at Trump. And weep.

• Options
    edited December 2019

Clueless.

It is a political issue though, because Boris Johnson has led people to believe that immigration will be cut almost to nothing and it will be possible for homegrown re-skilling to fill the gap. Homegrown re-skilling can never fill the gap in that timeframe, and the new immigration will simply be from outside Europe for reasons of trade imperative.

Yes, I know. Johnson made lots of promises he is not going to be able to keep. But I doubt if bringing people in to work on infrastructure projects is going to cause huge concern. We need them. Just as we need them in the NHS and other areas. Voters understand this.

I'm not so sure about that. I remember seeing some polling evidence, on here I think, that said that some core Tory voters remained hostile to immigration even with prompts that they would be looked after in hospital or in care by immigrants when older etc. He has a lot of difficult expectations to manage.
  • Options
    Mango said:

Good morning

Ha. You really think they will struggle in that respect? Look at Trump. And weep.

The Democrats control the House in the US and there is a constitutional separation of powers. If he really wants to Johnson can smash up the civil service, mess around with the courts and abolish the BBC.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Labour needs Ian Murray in the shadow cabinet and involved in policy. He clearly has some serious resilience.
  • Options

DavidL said:

HaroldO said:

Well the Labour self relfection is going well, the Corbynite wing is

And, why wouldn't you?
    I would! People are splashing the cash on home improvements. I don't know if it's a generational thing, but it seems many younger people don't have the practical skills to do fairly basic diy tasks. That translates into easy money for anyone who knows how to work power tools!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,121
    God stuff Corporeal. Though I'd love to see the next step, which is effieciency of thaat vote in terms of seats delivered. The Tory vote must now be its most efficient ever in terms of seats for each percentage achieved (although still some way behind Blair in 1997?).
  • Options

DavidL said:

HaroldO said:

Yes, we do. But if we are going to have major infrastructure projects up and running in the near term at a time of full-employment we are going to need immigrants.

Sorry SO, don't mean to be rude, but this is pure NuLab and explains why centrists don't get anywhere.

The provinces and people in them who are down and out want to be trained and want these opportunities.

We must start there and stop taking the easy (and socially disruptive) route of importing masses of people to do it instead.

And what you describe isn't an option anyway. Theres no big pool of construction experts (to our standards) available in the world we can just readily import to quickly build lots of projects.

Train. Train. Train.
  • Options
    …...….

I am curious why crossrail didn’t open incrementally, one station at a time either slowly heading into London, or opening the major stations and filing in the gaps. I am sure they are engineering constraints that make this impossible. But if the project had started with say only 2-3 stations in London, they would have seen an ROI sooner. It’s how we build digital things...….

The issue with Crossrail is the interface of the signalling on the traditional network with the signalling that is needed in the new part through London which needs to be able to cope with far higher number of trains per hour.

It is getting that interface working that is causing the problem so they cannot open any new bits until that is fixed.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Jonathan said:

How many "normal" Labour members are there, and how many of them are distraught far Left youth and entryists? Also, two problems:

1. Labour still took, in round numbers, 200 seats and a third of the vote. Amongst those members who still care about winning power, the temptation will surely be to look at Johnson, assume he's going to make a horlicks of it, and go for "one more heave?" Pick a telegenic young woman without Corbyn's baggage to sell his project to the voters, and just wait for them to drop into Labour's lap...
    2. Much of the far Left is more fixated on ideological purity, self-righteousness and raging against the machine in any event. Being true to the faith is more important than engaging in compromises to win over the electorate.

In 2015, Labour members voted overwhelmingly to install as leader a radical whose entire career consisted of angry, futile rebellion against authority. Many of those appalled by this decision have since abandoned the party. Maybe that's all Labour is really for now? Maybe the members like where they are and don't want to change? Maybe Labour just wants to be perpetually angry?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,434
    edited December 2019
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

HaroldO said:

Well the Labour self relfection is going well, the Corbynite wingf.

Boris also has a weakness for large infrastructure projects from his proposed airport in the Thames estuary to the garden bridge to the rather more useful Crossrail and the Olympic investment (I know some of these started before his time but he strongly supported them). HS2 isw nailed on. Hopefully some of the new ideas will do some good and help to rebalance our economy.

I am curious why crossrail didn’t open incrementally, one station at a time either slowly heading into London, or opening the major stations and filing in the gaps. I am sure they are engineering constraints that make this impossible. But if the project had started with say only 2-3 stations in London, they would have seen an ROI sooner. It’s how we build digital things.
    I argued for a staged opening approach in the central section. That's what we did with the Jubilee Line.

TfL rejected it. They want to go for the full revenue of the whole thing asap (as their finances are desperate) but it's bloody high risk.
  • Options
    @WhisperingOracle My thoughts exactly. Blairites are still something of an endangered species within Labour right now, and although the Corbynite left control a lot of the party machinery, crucially they failed to change the make up of the PLP. So they are extremely limited in terms of hard left successors to Corbyn, and it is highly unlikely that either Burgon or RLB will get enough support from MPs to even get to the members.

@Jonathan I must admit I’m not the biggest Cooper fan, but I agree with you on bringing back Ed Miliband into the cabinet. I’d also like to see Stella Creasy, Wes Streeting, and Lisa Nandy get cabinet positions as well.
  • Options

Clueless.

Saying we need immigrants to work on infrastructure projects is not a mass migration meme. It is a statement of fact.
    You're just wrong.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Sorry.
  • Options

…...….

I am curious why crossrail didn’t open incrementally, one station at a time either slowly heading into London, or opening the major stations and filing in the gaps. I am sure they are engineering constraints that make this impossible. But if the project had started with say only 2-3 stations in London, they would have seen an ROI sooner. It’s how we build digital things...….

The issue with Crossrail is the interface of the signalling on the traditional network with the signalling that is needed in the new part through London which needs to be able to cope with far higher number of trains per hour.

It is getting that interface working that is causing the problem so they cannot open any new bits until that is fixed.

Thanks that’s interesting. Wondering what they might have opened without that bit, initially treating crossrail like a stand-alone tube line.
  • Options

Mango said:

Good morning

The Democrats control the House in the US and there is a constitutional separation of powers. If he really wants to Johnson can smash up the civil service, mess around with the courts and abolish the BBC.

Never mind if Boris really wants to. Smashing up the civil service is already planned; messing around with the courts was in the manifesto.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/12/14/boris-johnson-plans-radical-overhaul-civil-service-guarantee/
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,969
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

October 2016.

Kier Starmer?

Starmer is an utter lightweight, he could not run a bath.
  • Options

Clueless.

Those skills don't exist overseas. That's what I keep trying to tell you.

It's the leaders, project managers and specialists that are the constraint.

Yes, sure, you could import lots of mass unskilled labour (which would be very unpopular, by the way) but it wouldn't get you anywhere.

You also need people who understand our construction, planning and environmental standards.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Mango said:

Good morning

Yes. We are screwed.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

HaroldO said:

Well the Labour self relfection is going well, the Corbynite wingf.

I argued for a staged opening approach in the central section. That's what we did with the Jubilee Line.

TfL rejected it. They want to go for the full revenue of the whole thing asap (as their finances are desperate) but it's bloody high risk.
    It that case someone was foolish, they really should have followed your advice.
  • Options

Clueless.

Yes, sure, you could import lots of mass unskilled labour (which would be very unpopular, by the way) but it wouldn't get you anywhere.

You also need people who understand our construction, planning and environmental standards.

We also need a lot more tradesmen.

• Options
    I have just watched Novaro Media reporting on the loss of Blyth Valley.

The lack of self awareness of the girl with the microphone is astounding. She blames everyone for voting other than for Labour. But I particularly groaned at her comment that she had been to Stoke South on campaign. A seat Labour were never going to win. Why was she not in Stoke North where they might have had a faint chance?

These people are completely divorced from reality. And yet they are so self-righteous and holier than thou they simply cannot deal with their own huge failures.
  • Options

…...….

That's correct, but a limited shuttle service in the central operating section could have been opened on CBTC without commissioning the transitions to Network Rail on the Great Western/ Great Eastern.
  • Options

Clueless.

You're just wrong.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Sorry.

Can you explain how we get infrastructure projects done at a time when tradesmen (and women) have more work than they can handle without bringing in people from elsewhere?

• Options

DavidL said:

HaroldO said:

Sorry SO, don't mean to be rude, but this is pure NuLab and explains why centrists don't get anywhere.

The provinces and people in them who are down and out want to be trained and want these opportunities.

We must start there and stop taking the easy (and socially disruptive) route of importing masses of people to do it instead.

And what you describe isn't an option anyway. Theres no big pool of construction experts (to our standards) available in the world we can just readily import to quickly build lots of projects.

Train. Train. Train.

So no major infrastructure projects for a while.

• Options

Interesting article from Peter Kelner on tactical voting and why it didn’t have the impact that was expected:
    https://theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/14/tactical-voting-what-went-wrong-general-election-2019

tl;dr version: not enough Lib Dems were prepared to vote for Corbyn.

One factor missing is the amount of misinformation and disinformation about how to vote tactically, and who was the best-placed candidate. This was even forecast on pb several weeks ago.
  • Options

Clueless.

I'm not so sure about that. I remember seeing some polling evidence, on here I think, that said that some core Tory voters remained hostile to immigration even with prompts that they would be looked after in hospital or in care by immigrants when older etc. He has a lot of difficult expectations to manage.

I think you need to distinguish between core Tory voters and a lot of people who voted Tory on Thursday. I really don't think most people mind immigration when they believe it is clearly beneficial to the country.

Of course, we should be investing money in training engineers, trades people, nurses, doctors, care workers etc. That is self-evidently correct. But right now we do not have the people we need, so we either accept no new infrastructure and declining service provision or we allow immigration to plug the gaps. I do, not think the Tories. new voting demographic will accept further decline and non-investment.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,121
    edited December 2019

Good morning

Whereas in fact Boris is boycotting Today for the same reason he ducked Andrew Neil, Jeremy Vine, and the debates. Boris hates scrutiny, being held to account, and even hard questions. It is a pattern we saw in the Conservative leadership hustings and as Mayor.
    Stll don't understand what's happened do you? The people who will be holding this Conservative govt. to account are the voters. In May 2024. Not unceasingly by some self-selected sub-committee of the Blob, whose only interest is showing their dislike of Conservatives to other members of the Blob.

Government by a disapproving media sucking air through their teeth and tut-tutting died on Thursday.
  • Options

Clueless.

Obviously, I can't comment on the quantity or quality of the leaders, project managers or specialists, but do have knowledge of the practical, hands on tools side. There is a house building site near my work that can't get enough brickies for love nor money. I have friends who have been one man bands for years who are now trying to take on apprentices. If Johnson is serious about this, he needs to get more apprenticeships pronto, not just the fancy pants engineers. We'll still need overseas workers to plug the gap.
This discussion has been closed.