Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting markets firm up even more on a CON majority

Comments

• Options
    Would it be fair to sum up today's events in that the ICM Tory lead lacks "punch"?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249
    Brom said:

ydoethur said:

And on the NHS

Matthew Goodwin tweeted

Awkward numbers for Labour

"Which of the following would be best for the NHS?"

Con government led by Boris Johnson w/ Matt Hancock as Health Secretary = 44%

Lab government led by Jeremy Corbyn w/ John Ashworth as Health Security = 37%

Deltapoll Dec 5-7
    #ge2019 #Brexit #NHS

Much though I detest Corbyn, it is a source of genuine amazement to me that anyone could think Hancock would be better at running the Health Service than Ashworth.
    That’s a bit strong, we know the NHS under Labour in Wales is worse than the Tory run NHS in England
    Having lived in Wales, I am not disputing that. It’s just bizarre though that anyone could think Hancock is capable of running anything more complex than a lucky dip.
  • Options

Would it be fair to sum up today's events in that the ICM Tory lead lacks "punch"?

Certainly no sign of a 'thumping' victory.
  • Options

Certainly no sign of a 'thumping' victory.
    Johnson wasn’t a hit today.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

I believe the parents are not happy in the way their son was used in this incident

Just as Jack Merritt's weren't happy about "Boris" politicising their son's death. They were deeply unhappy in fact.

Did this stop the ghastly man doing it? Not on your nelly.

Did PB Tories condemn him for this? Nope. I don't believe many did.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    So the 2 polls with the latest fieldwork have the lead at 6% and 7% and NOM was available after the former was out at 5.1
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Has anyone else been hit by the worst cold they've had for many years? I certainly have. Normally I get rid of them after 4 or 5 days but this one's been going on for about 10 days. Not good timing as far as election night is concerned.

Yes, I’ve been out for 4-6 weeks with a very nasty one.

My daughter was hospitalised for a night with bronciolitis too, and still has a cold.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    nico67 said:

The taking the phone isn’t a huge deal , it’s just silly . The bit where Bozo says he’s giving an interview and basically doesn’t want to seem to talk about the boy , it just looks very dismissive as if he doesn’t care .

This isnt going to be a game changer but it’s a gift to Labour in those Leave areas where Labour Leavers tend to be more worried about public services .

The taking of the phone was an involuntary tell. A moment’s glimpse into Johnson’s pitch black soul.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

So the 2 polls with the latest fieldwork have the lead at 6% and 7% and NOM was available after the former was out at 5.1

But the show no change, so there’s no momentum either way.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Having read various descriptions of the interview and the incident I didn't think the interview was as damaging for Johnson as I expected it to be. Obviously a graphic example of queuing in A&E is bad for the Tories but all elections have these sort of events (Jennifer's ear?). Johnson didn't handle the interview particularly well but ambushing a politician with a sodding photo on a mobile phone is not really on. Horrible emotionalism plus expecting someone to peer at the screen during an interview... How would an undecided voter react to both videos? Marginally against the Tories perhaps although the unpleasant heckling of the second might wipe out the impact of the first if both were viewed.

The phone could have been set up to show anything. Fuck the Queen. Boris inflagrante. Or whatever. cf May being handed the papers at conference.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    edited December 2019
    ydoethur said:

Brom said:

ydoethur said:

And on the NHS

Matthew Goodwin tweeted

Deltapoll Dec 5-7
    #ge2019 #Brexit #NHS

Much though I detest Corbyn, it is a source of genuine amazement to me that anyone could think Hancock would be better at running the Health Service than Ashworth.
    That’s a bit strong, we know the NHS under Labour in Wales is worse than the Tory run NHS in England
    Having lived in Wales, I am not disputing that. It’s just bizarre though that anyone could think Hancock is capable of running anything more complex than a lucky dip.
    PPE Oxon, Economics Cantab. How did he get into Oxbridge twice then complete two degrees? I'm sure the guy we see every day must be a doppelganger.
  • Options
    Is it time to get my savings converted into foreign currency
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

theprof said:

Will not make any difference in the scheme of things. The die is cast

But do you care? Do any Tories care?

If they do I haven't seen it.
    Yes I do care but I can see a labour stunt a mile away
    The boy having to lie on the floor was a "Labour stunt"? Ye Gods.
    Do not be silly. He was used and Boris did not handle it well

I believe the parents are not happy in the way their son was used in this incident
    Well, given what's just happened, you'd better quote chapter and verse, because there's a hell of a lot of disinformation emanating from the Tory side.
    Perhaps Big G thinks the Mirror was making this up:
    And Sarah, who also has a daughter, says she will be switching her support from Conservative to Labour at the ballot box on Thursday.
    “This will the first time in my life where I will be voting Labour” she said.
    “I would like to thank the doctors and the nurses and the health care assistants because they were really good, really helpful.
    “But I’m angry at the lack of funding and the lack of beds because I think that is failing our children.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/little-boy-pneumonia-forced-sleep-21053225

The Daily Mirror never makes things up. How dare you suggest such a thing?
    Because of the source it plays into the set up theory but Boris should have handled it better
    Can you indicate the source of your statement about the boy's parents being unhappy about his being "used," please?
    Sky report
    Well, I'm not going to believe it unless some evidence is forthcoming.
    And BBC but please yourself
    Can you actually quote what was said or give a link where we can read it?

You are perfectly free to play back BBC news
    Thanks - someone has been helpful enough to post a quotation now, which makes it quite clear that it wasn't the Labour Party the mother was unhappy with, as your comments implied.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    kinabalu said:

Just as Jack Merritt's weren't happy about "Boris" politicising their son's death. They were deeply unhappy in fact.

One of the problems with many politicians - and in fairness, it has always been a problem - is that they care for their own advantage, not for ordinary people. Does anyone really think Corbyn cares about a child not getting treatment fast enough? Of course he doesn’t. But it’s politically useful so he’s running with it. Just as Johnson only cared about using the brutal murders of two young graduates to advance his own agenda.

It’s a sad indictment of them as human beings.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Has anyone else been hit by the worst cold they've had for many years? I certainly have. Normally I get rid of them after 4 or 5 days but this one's been going on for about 10 days. Not good timing as far as election night is concerned.

If its Tory man flu like JRM and IDS have clearly been struck down with should clear up at 10.01pm in 3 days
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    edited December 2019
    kinabalu said:

To be fair Jack Merritt’s dad is a massive dickhead who used the death of his son to push far left views, not to mention the fact that the terrorism affected a lot more than 1 life that day.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited December 2019

nico67 said:

Here you go

Laura Kunnesberg

Happy to apologiSe for earlier confusion about the punch that wasn’t a punch outside Leeds General - 2 sources suggested it had happened but clear from video that was wrong

Amen ! She apologized .
    That’s nowhere near good enough. The BBC have been repeatedly played by the Conservatives during this election and have put in by a country mile their worst performance of giving appropriate coverage of the election campaign in living memory. There must be a searching inquiry when the dust has settled and major changes must be made. Some of those with the most senior editorial responsibility need to be put out to pasture.
    The BBC have been largely anti Boris and pushing a hung parliament, barely even mentioning new PISA figures showing the UK rising up the rankings. Agreed an inquiry is needed, hence Boris looking to scrap the license fee and let it go subscription
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    camel said:

ydoethur said:

Brom said:

ydoethur said:

And on the NHS

Matthew Goodwin tweeted

Deltapoll Dec 5-7
    #ge2019 #Brexit #NHS

PPE Oxon, Economics Cantab. How did he get into Oxbridge twice then complete two degrees? I'm sure the guy we see every day must be a doppelganger.
    I have often had the same problem when looking at the latest car crash interview from Richard Burgon.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Jack Merritt's father was a left wing activist even before his son's tragic death
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    llef said:

On Betfair exchange, I'm sure that NOM was 5.1 this morning - its 4.5 now.
    That seems strange to me given the good Welsh poll for the Cons - is it all down the Boris phone farrago?

That's a change from 19% to 22%.

Noise. Nothing to comment about
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019
    Streeter said:

nico67 said:

The taking the phone isn’t a huge deal , it’s just silly . The bit where Bozo says he’s giving an interview and basically doesn’t want to seem to talk about the boy , it just looks very dismissive as if he doesn’t care .

This isnt going to be a game changer but it’s a gift to Labour in those Leave areas where Labour Leavers tend to be more worried about public services .

The taking of the phone was an involuntary tell. A moment’s glimpse into Johnson’s pitch black soul.
    It's sober analysis like this that keeps me coming back to PB.com.
  • Options

Chris said:

BluerBlue said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

theprof said:

OldBasing said:

Two attempted dead cats from the Toris today to get Boris’ car crash interview with Joe Pike off the news. That interview now approaching 4 million views on Twitter. If you’re really 10 points ahead, why play silly buggers like this? Just stay on message. Now we’re back to the Tories faking news again. Not good.

Well, given what's just happened, you'd better quote chapter and verse, because there's a hell of a lot of disinformation emanating from the Tory side.
    And Sarah, who also has a daughter, says she will be switching her support from Conservative to Labour at the ballot box on Thursday.
    “I would like to thank the doctors and the nurses and the health care assistants because they were really good, really helpful.
    “But I’m angry at the lack of funding and the lack of beds because I think that is failing our children.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/little-boy-pneumonia-forced-sleep-21053225

Ah, a mysterious "first time Labour voter" switching directly from Conservative. Horseshit.
    No - the horseshit I was responding to came from Big G, who "believed" the child's parents were unhappy about the way he had been "used" in this "Labour stunt."
    Except it turns out that it wasn't horse shit but an accurate report of their views.
    No - it it was wholly misleading.

But no doubt PB Tories will carry on lying their heads off about it.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    edited December 2019
    kinabalu said:

Yvette Cooper was the first person to politicise the London Bridge attack, but don't let the facts get in the way of a nice rant. It'll make you feel so much better.

Edit to add link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50615928
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Except it turns out that it wasn't horse shit but an accurate report of their views.

People ought to listen to Big G a bit more often. He is rarely given to exaggeration.

As anyone who has dealt with the press will know - never give them an inch as they will take a mile.

Once the first newspaper had permission to use the photo this story was inevitably going to be bigger than they wanted.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Of course today should have been polling day. Perhaps Boris now wishes it was.
  • Options
    kjohnw1 said:

Well most likely we have a Brexit and a Tory government, next most likely a 2nd ref and a short term minority govt. Under either of those scenarios not sure the markets will change much, its a mix of favourable and unfavourable for them.

A big Labour majority or a hung parliament that results in no deal could be bad for the pound, but neither is particularly likely, and if its a hung parliament, the markets might be slow to react to no deal being a possibility again, giving a better entry point.

So in short, no.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    camel said:

ydoethur said:

Brom said:

ydoethur said:

And on the NHS

Matthew Goodwin tweeted

Deltapoll Dec 5-7
    #ge2019 #Brexit #NHS

Still doesn’t mean he can run a piss up in a brewery, Johnson has a classics degree fro posho university and he can’t run a piss up in a brewery, Corby has a nothing from nowhere and couldn’t run a piss up in a brewery. Such wonderful politicians we have.
  • Options
    Right am I panicking unnecessarily or has this incident pushed us into hung parliament territory and a labour SNP government ☹️
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Andy_JS said:

There's still an absence of faith in labour heartlands voting tory.

And maybe, rightly so....

Evidence ?
    FWIw, purely anecdotally, I found quite a few "former Labour now anti" people at the WWC end of the constituency who we were recanvassing who were reluctantly coming back to Labour, and colleagues said they were noticing the same, to a moderate degree. Whether that's more generally true, or even a serious trend here, I genuinely have no idea.
    How accurately were you able to predict the overall result in Broxtowe in 1997, 2001, etc, from canvassing?
    Tick tock. Silence.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

WOW Only 7% between Jester and Jezza

Britain Elects
    @britainelects
    Preference for Prime Minister:

Boris Johnson: 39%
    Jeremy Corbyn: 32%

via
    @BMGResearch

Wait till you see the Welsh poll...
    The one that predicts 8 Tory Gains from Lab?

Fancy a charity bet?
  • Options
    Calling it as I see it. Very foolish of Boris. Why he didn’t just look at the photo I’ve no idea.

This does play into the hands of his opponents with 3 days to go. I don’t know if it will have an impact but it was an unforced error and he can ill afford those at this time in the campaign.

Still going for a small Tory majority, but the events of today and the ICM have confirmed to me that’s about right.
  • Options

Miss Scarlett didn't last long on here did she?

Important business knocking on doors and telling the occupants that they are vile human beings. And please vote Labour.
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

WOW Only 7% between Jester and Jezza

Britain Elects
    @britainelects
    Preference for Prime Minister:

Boris Johnson: 39%
    Jeremy Corbyn: 32%

via
    @BMGResearch

Wait till you see the Welsh poll...
    The one that predicts 8 Tory Gains from Lab?

Fancy a charity bet?
    You cannot pick and choose your polls BJO
  • Options
    kjohnw1 said:

Right am I panicking unnecessarily or has this incident pushed us into hung parliament territory and a labour SNP government ☹️

Yes and no
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    nichomar said:

camel said:

ydoethur said:

Brom said:

ydoethur said:

And on the NHS

Matthew Goodwin tweeted

Deltapoll Dec 5-7
    #ge2019 #Brexit #NHS

Still doesn’t mean he can run a piss up in a brewery, Johnson has a classics degree fro posho university and he can’t run a piss up in a brewery, Corby has a nothing from nowhere and couldn’t run a piss up in a brewery. Such wonderful politicians we have.
    Why would Corbyn want to? He claims to be a teetotaller.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

One of the problems with many politicians - and in fairness, it has always been a problem - is that they care for their own advantage, not for ordinary people. Does anyone really think Corbyn cares about a child not getting treatment fast enough? Of course he doesn’t. But it’s politically useful so he’s running with it. Just as Johnson only cared about using the brutal murders of two young graduates to advance his own agenda.

It’s a sad indictment of them as human beings.
    I think it's more complicated than that. Most politicians are of course also human beings, so they do genuinely care AND they are in the middle of a frantic race and pressed from all sides to come up with instant responses on every event, which will inevitably be made with an eye to the election.

I must admit that I was sometimes unsure in my own mind whether I was saying something mianly because I believed it, or mainly to win votes. It tended to be a bit of both, and some cyncism is justified, but not total disbelief.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Utter crap, he looked at it after the journalist gave it to him.

More anti Boris fake news!!
  • Options
    There'll be one final "mini-ELBOW" for all polls from today's ICM up to Wednesday night's polling.

Meanwhile, for those wot missed it:

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/1203832196274040832
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    nichomar said:

Idle thought - how easy would it be to run a piss-up in a brewery, given H&S regulations which would prevent easy access to production? Has anyone ever done it?
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    I cannot stress enough how much I increasingly hate this General Election, the side it is showing of our national character is awful.
  • Options
    Am I missing something here?

Sporting index currently Tory Seats 345-351 & Tory 300 Ups 47-50

Doesnt that just make it 1 cheaper to buy the 300 Ups and with zero downside risk if below 300?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

kjohnw1 said:

Yes and no
    I think it has. It's completely changed the mood of the campaign. Plus we're seeing the tightening of Westminster polling AND best PM ratings. This could not have come at a worse time than 3 days before an election.

I'm glad I kept my back bets going for NOM, at least I win £1,200 if the nightmare comes true. And it might.

Sorry Pb Tories, I do genuinely believe this has changed things.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

llef said:

On Betfair exchange, I'm sure that NOM was 5.1 this morning - its 4.5 now.
    That seems strange to me given the good Welsh poll for the Cons - is it all down the Boris phone farrago?

That's a change from 19% to 22%.

Noise. Nothing to comment about
    Come on PB Tories think Tory Maj. 1.39 from 1.4 is worth telling us
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited December 2019

nichomar said:

Idle thought - how easy would it be to run a piss-up in a brewery, given H&S regulations which would prevent easy access to production? Has anyone ever done it?
    I’ve been to one in theTeingworthy brewery in Devon very good.
  • Options
    Boris shouldn't be too harmed by today's events. Most of his admirers will just think 'bloody reporters picking on poor old Boris again' and carry on as before. But snatching that man's phone and then pocketing it was strange behaviour. It was as if he couldn't bear to be in a situation where he was required to pay attention to something else, rather than be the sole object of everything else's attention, so he had to hide the competing object away. There was something childlike about it. Odd.
  • Options

nichomar said:

THere was a young lady who, piqued at being told she was grossly incompetent, invited everyone to a party at Guinness’ brewery cafe.

In a stroke of genius, she put the wrong date in the invitations and everyone turned up a day early.
  • Options

nichomar said:

The apprentice had a similar task this year. Wine tours at a vineyard. One team couldnt find the wine cellar to show the customers around.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    I am not sure how the day plays for Boris nationally, but he has had an awful day in London. The big story on the London news was his failure to even turn up at the Uxbridge hustings (there is only one so hardly a big ask), with what seemed to be ordinary Uxbridge voters (not obvious party members) castigating him roundly for arrogance. This was combined with coverage of a lie down in front of bulldozer protest to remind the viewers of his Heathrow pledge. If only Labour had put up a decent candidate in Uxbridge or, even better, agreed to get behind a strong indie with the other parties; then we would be looking at a Portillo moment.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He did and he apologised but his mistake was to take the phone and put it in his pocket

Anyone watching the complete video will see it as weird but not as bad as some would say as he did look at it, express regret and hand it back to the journalist

I know opponents will think it is a gift, which to some extent it is, but changing votes, no
  • Options
    alb1on said:

I am not sure how the day plays for Boris nationally, but he has had an awful day in London. The big story on the London news was his failure to even turn up at the Uxbridge hustings (there is only one so hardly a big ask), with what seemed to be ordinary Uxbridge voters (not obvious party members) castigating him roundly for arrogance. This was combined with coverage of a lie down in front of bulldozer protest to remind the viewers of his Heathrow pledge. If only Labour had put up a decent candidate in Uxbridge or, even better, agreed to get behind a strong indie with the other parties; then we would be looking at a Portillo moment.

I live in London and haven’t read any of this or seen it. Are you perhaps overestimating the impact that every small story has?
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

I cannot stress enough how much I increasingly hate this General Election, the side it is showing of our national character is awful.

It’s gone at least a week too long and everybody’s run out of originality and/or humour. Then one looks at the US system.
  • Options

camel said:

Momentum were directing volunteers from WY to nearby Hemsworth this weekend.

Waste of resources sending them to Wyoming in the first place. It's solidly GOP...
    It may be a waste of resources sending them to Wyoming but it is a blessing for the rest of us. Feel sorry for Wyoming though.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Christ, look at the bloody film! He took the journalist's phone and put it in his pocket. Only when the journalist pointed out what he had done did he take it back out, look at it, and apologise for what he had done.

Why not stop posting for just a few minutes and acquaint yourself with the facts?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He did and he apologised but his mistake was to take the phone and put it in his pocket

Anyone watching the complete video will see it as weird but not as bad as some would say as he did look at it, express regret and hand it back to the journalist

I know opponents will think it is a gift, which to some extent it is, but changing votes, no
    The picture/fact of the matter is bad though. Definitely has the stench of NHS decay about it.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Yes, I’ve been out for 4-6 weeks with a very nasty one.

My daughter was hospitalised for a night with bronciolitis too, and still has a cold.
    Remarkable amount of worse-than-usual colds do indeed seem to be going around at the moment. I've been suffering for a week, have already been through an episode of false recovery followed by relapse so bad that I spent most of Friday in bed, and I'm still not quite over it. A colleague at work who came down with it the same time I did, but has a low immune system due to a medical condition, was still off sick today.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    HaroldO said:

We took a look at how they've been doing politics in the United States recently and thought: okay, we'll follow their example. Fake news, lack of civility, everyone believing only the information that suits their side of the argument.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658

nichomar said:

I suppose running a piss up only requires access to the stock rather than knowledge of the noble art of brewing. There may be an issue with glasses, and being a bit old school, I wouldn't want guests to have to drink from bottles. The horror!
  • Options
    Jason said:

kjohnw1 said:

Yes and no
    I think it has. It's completely changed the mood of the campaign. Plus we're seeing the tightening of Westminster polling AND best PM ratings. This could not have come at a worse time than 3 days before an election.

I'm glad I kept my back bets going for NOM, at least I win £1,200 if the nightmare comes true. And it might.

I think you’re massively overestimating this. All the postal votes have been sent, sure it might energise Momentum but I just struggle to see it changing voting intention. Remember what happened to the polls after Andrew Neil?
  • Options

nichomar said:

ROFL! And while we're at it, polar bears never sh*t in the woods!
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Christ, look at the bloody film! He took the journalist's phone and put it in his pocket. Only when the journalist pointed out what he had done did he take it back out, look at it, and apologise for what he had done.

Why not stop posting for just a few minutes and acquaint yourself with the facts?
    He did not snatch the camera, this is outrageous fake news from a left wing stitch up job
  • Options

nichomar said:

The apprentice had a similar task this year. Wine tours at a vineyard. One team couldnt find the wine cellar to show the customers around.
    I recall taking a group of brokers to the Oktoberfest. We justified the trip by planning a visit to head office in Munich first. Unfortunately the coach would not fit through the entrance, making us late for the piss up.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Jason said:

kjohnw1 said:

Yes and no

I think you’re massively overestimating this. All the postal votes have been sent, sure it might energise Momentum but I just struggle to see it changing voting intention. Remember what happened to the polls after Andrew Neil?
    Yes I agree.
  • Options
    Jason said:

kjohnw1 said:

Yes and no

Agree. If it hadn’t hurt why the two dead cat attempts (BBC licence fee and fake assault in Leeds)? Twitter views of interview with Joe Pike now 5.1 million. Massive **** up!
  • Options
    Brom said:

Jason said:

kjohnw1 said:

Yes and no

The postal votes is a bit of a red herring, there must be very few undecided postal voters, the point of them is to ensure you vote. Agree stories like this dont move things much, each story might move things 0.5-1% but some will be in one direction and other stories the opposite. There havent been a whole series of events to move in one direction only imo.
  • Options
    Brom said:

alb1on said:

I live in London and haven’t read any of this or seen it. Are you perhaps overestimating the impact that every small story has?
    Possibly, but it was certainly the main report on the BBC London news, lasting 4-5 minutes. But he is safe with Ali Milani against him. Might switch a handful of votes in nearby seats like Wimbledon. He did come across as an arrogant twat.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

nichomar said:

Welcome back to humanity Dr P.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    edited December 2019
    OldBasing said:

Jason said:

kjohnw1 said:

Yes and no

Agree. If it hadn’t hurt why the two dead cat attempts (BBC licence fee and fake assault in Leeds)? Twitter views of interview with Joe Pike now 5.1 million. Massive **** up!
    You are relying on twitter ??

We have heard it all before with Andrew Neil

And the most important thing has not changed. The other choice is Corbyn
  • Options

Brom said:

Jason said:

kjohnw1 said:

Yes and no

Yes I agree.
    If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation.

Jean Kerr
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658
    camel said:

HYUFD said:

The picture/fact of the matter is bad though. Definitely has the stench of NHS decay about it.
    It is certainly bad, and there is a major problem with capacity in the NHS, but bed shortages are nothing new. Indeed I met Mrs Foxy when Medical House Officer and outlying admissions onto her elective surgery ward. That was 1988.
  • Options
    OldBasing said:

Jason said:

kjohnw1 said:

Yes and no

This is a significant oversight on your part. No one viewing anything on twitter is an undecided voter. You need to be looking at other sources such as Facebook or TV news viewing figures to understand the real reach of a story.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    HYUFD said:

It's such a shame that you can't be truthful with yourself. You'd be better for it and so would this place.

We get it that you like Johnson. We get it that you are sure the Conservatives will win. We get it that you hate the other parties.

But, just occasionally, even if you don't think he has major character defects, at least admit that he sometimes gets things wrong.
  • Options
    eek said:

People ought to listen to Big G a bit more often. He is rarely given to exaggeration.

As anyone who has dealt with the press will know - never give them an inch as they will take a mile.

Once the first newspaper had permission to use the photo this story was inevitably going to be bigger than they wanted.
    True and I do have a lot of sympathy for the family in this. The vast majority of people are not used to dealing with the press and do not know how they operate with 'normal' people. They think celebrities pretty much get what they deserve and believe that their insignificance will protect them from being used and abused. It is very unfortunate this family had to find out the hard way this is not the case.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    People don't en masse change their voting intention over someone putting a phone In their pocket. Get.a.grip.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

It's such a shame that you can't be truthful with yourself. You'd be better for it and so would this place.

We get it that you like Johnson. We get it that you are sure the Conservatives will win. We get it that you hate the other parties.

But, just occasionally, even if you don't think he has major character defects, at least admit that he sometimes gets things wrong.
    No I am not going to 'admit' a PR stitch up of fake news driven by the hard left
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

BluerBlue said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

theprof said:

OldBasing said:

Two attempted dead cats from the Toris today to get Boris’ car crash interview with Joe Pike off the news. That interview now approaching 4 million views on Twitter. If you’re really 10 points ahead, why play silly buggers like this? Just stay on message. Now we’re back to the Tories faking news again. Not good.

Ah, a mysterious "first time Labour voter" switching directly from Conservative. Horseshit.
    No - the horseshit I was responding to came from Big G, who "believed" the child's parents were unhappy about the way he had been "used" in this "Labour stunt."
    No - it it was wholly misleading.

But no doubt PB Tories will carry on lying their heads off about it.
    I am afraid you are the one telling porkies here. Big G said:

"I believe the parents are not happy in the way their son was used in this incident"

And that turned out to be absolutely accurate. Lying like that when we can all just go back and look at the thread is particularly stupid of you.
  • Options
    Good on George

Come back in government
  • Options

People don't en masse change their voting intention over someone putting a phone In their pocket. Get.a.grip.

Of course they dont. 70% of votes are probably decided before the start of the campaign. Of the rest most will be a mix of issues and tactical voting. There are some people who dont decide until they are actually in the voting booth, those are the votes which are surely susceptible to such trivia and late news.
  • Options
    Will the Tories here apologise for their fake assault?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    kjohnw1 said:

Roubles
  • Options
    OldBasing said:

Jason said:

kjohnw1 said:

Yes and no

I dont think it will move VI as long as we dont get a series of incidents from Jester

Best plan for him lay low till Friday

20-40 maj nailed on.

2 more days of Boris screw ups HP possible.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    Don’t tell me. He wants to ‘get Brexit done’?
  • Options
    Bloody hell.

It really is a bad day for Johnson. First the NHS, now the endorsement from electoral poison...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

He did not snatch the camera, this is outrageous fake news from a left wing stitch up job
    Have either of you got a link that shows the phone at the moment it changes hands?
  • Options
    I saw a bigger crowd there for my graduation. But then expecting a millionaire NHS exploiter to tell the truth would be like expecting Boris Johnson to behave rationally.
  • Options

Will the Tories here apologise for their fake assault?

Laura Kunnesberg who posted the story has

She was responsible for posting the news without verification

Typical of scores of journalists in this election
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    camel said:

Brom said:

Jason said:

kjohnw1 said:

Yes and no

Yes I agree.
    If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation.

Jean Kerr
    If you refuse to look at a photo of a suffering 4 yr old it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation or you are a

Juan Kerr
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    nichomar said:

camel said:

ydoethur said:

Brom said:

ydoethur said:

And on the NHS

Matthew Goodwin tweeted

Deltapoll Dec 5-7
    #ge2019 #Brexit #NHS

They should have done Chem Eng. Most of our 'industrial visits' WERE piss-ups in breweries!
  • Options
  • Options

camel said:

Brom said:

Jason said:

kjohnw1 said:

Yes and no

Yes I agree.

Jean Kerr
    If you refuse to look at a photo of a suffering 4 yr old you are a

Juan Kerr
    Excellent.
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    Channel 4 - What is the tories strongest subject? Brexit. Lets have a debate that excludes Brexit

BBC - What is the tories weakest demographic? 18-30 year olds. Lets have a debate exclusively for 18-30 year olds
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Damn, hard to see Boris's route to a majority without Bristol West, South, or East.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Of course they dont. 70% of votes are probably decided before the start of the campaign. Of the rest most will be a mix of issues and tactical voting. There are some people who dont decide until they are actually in the voting booth, those are the votes which are surely susceptible to such trivia and late news.
    The problem is that people who follow politics the most and often know everything there is to know are also the most susceptible to falling into the trap of thinking that everyone else has zero political conviction and that there are tens of thousands of voters watching TV who were going to vote Boris but are no longer because of some confusing news story about a boy in a hospital and a punch up.

If it were up to certain folk on PB these voters would have changed their minds about 6 times (Ian Austin, Nicky Morgan interview, Waspi bribe, Andrew Neil, Andrew Neil again, hospital photo). In my opinion the event that has had the biggest effect on VI will probably have been the terror attack but regardless as has been said because of Brexit so many minds were made up 6 weeks ago with the only question being (should I vote Con or BXP and Should I vote Lab or Lib).

But hey it gives us stuff to talk about other than polls!
  • Options
    Apparently those nasty Tories spread rumours of his demise and, as was said about the funeral of Louis Mayer, 'Give the people what they want and they will come out for it'.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

camel said:

HYUFD said:

It is certainly bad, and there is a major problem with capacity in the NHS, but bed shortages are nothing new. Indeed I met Mrs Foxy when Medical House Officer and outlying admissions onto her elective surgery ward. That was 1988.

So romantic!!

• Options
    No, all Bristol MPs are Labour and not one Bristol seat is even in the top 50 Tory target seats
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Bloody hell.

It really is a bad day for Johnson. First the NHS, now the endorsement from electoral poison...
    I do not agree.

George Osborne backing Boris in London is unexpected and will influence conservative voters in the city and the south to vote for Boris

Very pleased as he could have endorsed Jo Swinson
This discussion has been closed.