Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The voting group that looks set to give Johnson his majority –

Comments

• wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,851

Brom said:

Mr. Urquhart, not a fan of throwing stuff at people on stage.

Booing if a comedian isn't funny is a different kettle of fish.

I think that happened after he went all big baby and starting saying he wasn't leaving, he was going full Bercow and wouldn't budge, and why didn't they book a right wing comedian.
    Yes, Bernard Manning sounds more like the audience's cup of tea.
    You are Nish Kumar and I claim my £5.
    Comedian in question was in my class at school (same school as PB twitter faves Emily Benn and Aaron Bell). He was not amusing back then but has always been political and has carved out a career where his audience go for the politics rather than the laughs. Unfunny old world.
    The level of stand-up comedy at the moment is very poor. I would say only Ross Noble is the only one who I have really really belly laughed through in the past couple of years.
    Greg Davies is very funny as are some of the one liner comics like Gary Delaney. On the not funny list are the likes of John Bishop, Sarah Millican, Russell Howard, Frankie Boyle, Nish Kumar, Katherine Ryan, the odious Rob Delaney
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    kinabalu said:

Or rather not joining the conversation. More stopping it dead in its tracks. Which is OK - I have moved on to other matters.

You've bought the Idiots' Guide to the Labour manifesto?
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,916
    edited December 2019

kjohnw1 said:

nunu2 said:

This is really bad for Labour. A lot of their increase in the polls is coming from London.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMurphyLondon/status/1201820430669144065

If Labour Is piling up votes in London then that surely increases the chances of a Tory landslide
    Yep, said this the other day. Pile up votes in urban areas, lose Northern marginals. Result is Tory majority.
    Landslide. Labour are going backwards fast outside southern remainia. They wont make 30% on polling day
    I would feel more comfortable judging what this London poll implies once we have the next national (GB) YouGov poll. The previous London poll (30/10-4/11) showed a 10 point Lab lead in the capital. The two corresponding GB polls (31/10-1/11 & 1/11-4/11) showed Tory leads of 12 and 13, respectively, or 12.5 on average. Labour's lead on the London x-tabs, FWIW, was 11.5 on average, broadly in line with the London only poll.
    Now we have a London only poll showing a 17 point Lab lead, covering 28/11-2/12. But we only have a GB poll covering the first two days of that period, 28/11-29/11. That poll has a Con lead of just 9 with a Lab lead of 14 on the London cross-tab. So it's entirely possible that the next GB poll from YouGov, covering the second half of the period, shows a bigger Labour lead on the London cross tab and a smaller Tory lead nationally. And then it would mean that the London poll is simply picking up a further swing to Labour nationally. It need not imply Labour is going backwards elsewhere, since we know from the 28-29/11 poll that Labour has caught up versus a month ago nationally, and it may have caught up even more when the next YouGov poll is published.
    I am not saying this is the explanation, simply that the YouGov polls so far are not inconsistent with this explanation. (I am also not saying that Labour is not doing better in the South than the Midlands/North - that is abundantly clear).
    In terms of stand up, put anyone today alongside Dave Allen. No competition.
  • EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    edited December 2019
    On stand-up:
    Dave Chappelle and Bill Burr are god-tier. Even a snowflake would enjoy them provided they can take a joke.
    Tim Vine is good fun if you like wordplay and zaniness and want to forget politics for an hour.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019

Brom said:

I think that happened after he went all big baby and starting saying he wasn't leaving, he was going full Bercow and wouldn't budge, and why didn't they book a right wing comedian.
    Comedian in question was in my class at school (same school as PB twitter faves Emily Benn and Aaron Bell). He was not amusing back then but has always been political and has carved out a career where his audience go for the politics rather than the laughs. Unfunny old world.
    The level of stand-up comedy at the moment is very poor. I would say only Ross Noble is the only one who I have really really belly laughed through in the past couple of years.
    Greg Davies is very funny as are some of the one liner comics like Gary Delaney. On the not funny list are the likes of John Bishop, Sarah Millican, Russell Howard, Frankie Boyle, Nish Kumar, Katherine Ryan, the odious Rob Delaney
    I think one problem with comedians these days is all their good stuff goes on YouTube really quickly. They don't even get a year out of their material....and if you aren't really really good you can't come up with quality material fast enough. Also, most of them have Brexit / Trump derangement syndrome.

Henning Wehn is a classic example. When he started he had a really funny 30 mins worth of routine, but that is it. Now half is show is rehashed old stuff and the new half is always poorer than the rehashed stuff.

And unlike bands, people don't see them on YouTube and go I must see that live. If you have heard the gag before, it ain't funny the second or third time around.
  • The innocent hope expressed by the Channel 4 focus group last night could be troublesome for the next government. A lot will hang on Johnson's shifting shoulders as elation could turn to disappointment when Brexit turns to dust in his hands and austerity continues to bite.

A house built on sand will soon collapse, the question is how long will this take to happen?
  • nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

nunu2 said:

The national polls show the Tories unchanged from 2017?
    London is
    Lab -7.5%
    Con -3.1%
    LD +6.2%

Compared to GE 2017

Yes. Most polls show the tories unchanged from 2017 whereas this shows the tories down 3% in London. Which means Tories are up 3% somewhere else.

The question is where? Probably in the midlands and north
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,858

Stewart Lee. He's a killer.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,724

Saw him live once. Great man.
  • maaarsh said:

Brom said:

Stewart Lee's still pretty good - and he actually manages to pitch his character so it works whichever way you voted, unlike most of his north London contemporaries
    I know I lot of people love him, but I just never been able to really get into him. Nothing to do with his politics either, Mark Thomas 5-10 years ago was an absolute hoot* even if his politics make Jezza look centre right.

* His show on his dad's progressive supranuclear palsy /and love of opera was also incredible, both moving and funny.
    I think Stewart Lee views his role as a comedian as generating comedy from being very offensive to almost everyone.
  • Brom said:

No Marcus Brigstocke on your list......I saw Chris Addison year ago and he was chronically unfunny as well.
  • EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Brom said:

Sarah Millican makes me want to rip my ears off and feed them to a dog.
  • Brom said:

There is a lot of very tame bland nonsense like Romesh Ranganathan and predictable ranty but unfunny Kumar. Even Mark Thomas, who despite totally disagreeing with politically, used to be very funny with his tales of protests / campaigns isn't very interesting these days.

Mainly because they hope to advance their politics through their comedy.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719
    edited December 2019
    Measured response from Trump this morning saying he could work with whoever wins the UK election and he has no interest in including the NHS in any trade deal
  • SunnyJim said:

DavidL said:

My mother in law has been voting Labour for most of that century. Approaching 84, Labour member since 1963, widow of Labour Councillor, traditionally sees Labour as an extension of her Christian beliefs, cannot stand Corbyn, can't bring herself to vote for him. Labour have tested their traditional support to breaking point.

It has been discussed before on here about how a seemingly impregnable Scottish Labour fell quickly and hard in 2015.

I'm not sure the correlation with England is quite there though because the ideological journey from Lab>Con is a different order of magnitude to Lab>SNP.
    I concur.
    It must be remembered that Scottish Labour campaigned very hard during the 80s and 90s for Scottish devolution. This, in combination with common social democratic values, made the journey from Lab to SNP extremely easy for many Scottish voters.
    The gap between English Labour and the English Tories has always been much wider, and the gulf is larger now than it was 10 years ago.
    Only the Lib Dems could crush English Labour, and at the moment they couldn’t crush a grape.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    edited December 2019

maaarsh said:

Brom said:

Stewart Lee's still pretty good - and he actually manages to pitch his character so it works whichever way you voted, unlike most of his north London contemporaries
    I know I lot of people love him, but I just never been able to really get into him. Nothing to do with his politics either, Mark Thomas 5-10 years ago was an absolute hoot* even if his politics make Jezza look centre right.

* His show on his dad's progressive supranuclear palsy /and love of opera was also incredible, both moving and funny.
    A dear friend of mine bid in a Guardian charity auction, for Mark Steele to do a one man show in their front room. Their politics are very much alligned, so should be a blast she thought. And not a small sum either - around £3,500. Which she then won. But was somewhat pissed off when Mark Steele refused to do the show - because he had to travel to Grimsby.
    Fair play to her, she let the charity keep the money. But since then I have hoped there is a bit of Hell set aside for him where he has to re-enact 70's Wheeltappers and Shunters material with Bernard Manning. For the rest of eternity.
    edited December 2019

Brom said:

There is a lot of very tame bland nonsense like Romesh Ranganathan and predictable ranty but unfunny Kumar. Even Mark Thomas, who despite totally disagreeing with politically, used to be very funny with his tales of protests / campaigns isn't very interesting these days.

I am sure Mark Thomas does, but at least back in the day, he was genuinely funny. I think a good part of it was he was able to laugh at how nuts some of the people involved marches and protests actually are.

It seems Nish Kumar anybody opposed to him politically as the enemy and his side is not to be laughed at.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,944
    edited December 2019

Anecdotal alert - not just dependent on when the Uni breaks up. At Bath its on the 13th, but many students will be gone earlier if they have little or no teaching on the wed, thur or Friday, as confirmed by my third year tutees.

Yes, that is why CCHQ insisted on the 12th rather than the Monday.
    kinabalu said:

Stewart Lee. He's a killer.
    I'd agree there despite his politics being hmmmm a little strident. He is a masterful comic and the segments with Chris Morris (another genuis) on his show were perfect
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Essexit said:

Brom said:

Ironically Sarah Millican is married to Gary Delaney. Now personally I quite like Sarah but then again I do come from the same town she did (as does Chris Ramsey and a remarkable large number of other comedians)...
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

maaarsh said:

Brom said:

I think Stewart Lee views his role as a comedian as generating comedy from being very offensive to almost everyone.
    The real joy is trying to work out how many layers of irony there are in each bit - you often get the feeling he's not quite mocking the target it would appear he is.
  • llefllef Posts: 298
    re election weather, usual big caveats apply to forecasts > 7 days ahead, but the following was posted this morning on a weather related website

"The 06Z GFS Operational Run is very like the 00Z Control Run in taking a rapidly developing low NE across Biscay & the SE of England next Friday & into Saturday and a =major= snow event for the SE. There is very little model agreement on this yet and not much EPS support, however there is a growing trend for a much colder type of air to be present across the UK, esp the north and there is growing Ensemble support for snow cover / snow fall % increase across northern parts during the 2nd half of next week. This may in part be aided by the below normal SST's to the West & north of the UK at present. It looks an increasingly interesting Election week to come weatherwise.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/122784-model-chat-december-2019/
  • https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/1201836478768263169
    What a leader - just runs away when things get difficult
  • BluerBlue said:

Labour Leavers really have a call to make over the next 10 days. The Tories have screwed them over every single time they've been in power, do they want another five years of that? There are signs they're coming back - but they need to move and fast. We can still change things for the better and get this awful Government out.

Oh dear - looks like Labour Leavers are sick of being treated with contempt by Labour, and prefer to vote for a party that will actually respect their democratic choice. What a shame.

p.s. There are 8 full days of campaigning left.

I don’t know what will happen in the election but it seems at the moment, from reading the posts on here, that Labour is far more likely to howl with rage at the ‘betrayal’ of their Northern/Midlands voters than listen to them and learn from it.

Brom said:

No Marcus Brigstocke on your list......I saw Chris Addison year ago and he was chronically unfunny as well.
    He's awful, but I did love We Are History
  • SunnyJim said:

DavidL said:

My mother in law has been voting Labour for most of that century. Approaching 84, Labour member since 1963, widow of Labour Councillor, traditionally sees Labour as an extension of her Christian beliefs, cannot stand Corbyn, can't bring herself to vote for him. Labour have tested their traditional support to breaking point.

It has been discussed before on here about how a seemingly impregnable Scottish Labour fell quickly and hard in 2015.

I'm not sure the correlation with England is quite there though because the ideological journey from Lab>Con is a different order of magnitude to Lab>SNP.
    I concur.
    It must be remembered that Scottish Labour campaigned very hard during the 80s and 90s for Scottish devolution. This, in combination with common social democratic values, made the journey from Lab to SNP extremely easy for many Scottish voters.
    The gap between English Labour and the English Tories has always been much wider, and the gulf is larger now than it was 10 years ago.
    Only the Lib Dems could crush English Labour, and at the moment they couldn’t crush a grape.
    Where's Stu Francis when you need him?

• Anecdotal alert - not just dependent on when the Uni breaks up. At Bath its on the 13th, but many students will be gone earlier if they have little or no teaching on the wed, thur or Friday, as confirmed by my third year tutees.

It’s cynical and wrong, but I guess it’s about the dislocation from student turnout peer pressure as much as anything else.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Trump says the NHS isn’t up in any trade talks . Thank heavens for that , he is a man who can be trusted and never lies abouf anything !
    Essexit said:

Brom said:

Her hubby is quite funny though.

• A dear friend of mine bid in a Guardian charity auction, for Mark Steele to do a one man show in their front room. Their politics are very much alligned, so should be a blast she thought. And not a small sum either - around £3,500. Which she then won. But was somewhat pissed off when Mark Steele refused to do the show - because he had to travel to Grimsby.
    Fair play to her, she let the charity keep the money. But since then I have hoped there is a bit of Hell set aside for him where he has to re-enact 70's Wheeltappers and Shunters material with Bernard Manning. For the rest of eternity.

He always comes across as a total knob-end, so not surprised.
  • TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Or rather not joining the conversation. More stopping it dead in its tracks. Which is OK - I have moved on to other matters.

I think that’s just the manifesto.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

The innocent hope expressed by the Channel 4 focus group last night could be troublesome for the next government. A lot will hang on Johnson's shifting shoulders as elation could turn to disappointment when Brexit turns to dust in his hands and austerity continues to bite.

A house built on sand will soon collapse, the question is how long will this take to happen?

If https://unherd.com/2019/12/is-this-the-tories-real-manifesto/ is accurate it may not.

It does require a heap of investment however and the time scales may not work for Boris as it's going to require more than 4 years.
    TOPPING said:

I do have the Ladybook Guide to Tax & Spend. Excellent intro it has, a concise explanation of why one must look at the whole rather than individual bits & pieces in order to come to an intelligent and informed judgment of who gains and who loses. I will wrap and place under your tree.

Brom said:

Both utter trash yes as is rufus hound.
    James Acaster has moments of greatness but not many.
    As an OCD sufferer (the actual illness not the I'm a bit OCD offensive bollocks people get away with) I do like Jon Richardson
    edited December 2019

London Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 47% (+8)
    CON: 30% (+1)
    LIB: 15% (-4)
    GRN: 4% (-1)
    BRX: 3% (-3)

YouGov 28 Nov- 2 Dec
    Changes w October/November

How does that compare with GE 2017??
    https://twitter.com/MatthewGreen02/status/1201824372719308800
    Swing of 2.5% from Labour to the Tories in London ie below the 3.5% national average swing in the last Yougov which means the Tories are getting a bigger swing North of Watford and they will only gain Kensington from Labour in London with Battersea neck and neck (but probably lost if LDs tactically vote Labour).

Swing of 4.5% from the Tories to the LDs in London which with Labour tactical voting puts Tory Remain seats in London at risk, particularly Richmond Park, Cities of London and Westminster, Finchley and Golders Green etc
  • Alistair said:

How good are we (political bettors) at predicting political outcomes in the face of overwhelming evidence?

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/2196/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-ipsos-mori-phone-poll-has-snp-with-28-lead-in-scotland/p1

The answer is not that good. January 2015, a series of massive SNP poll leads. People on the thread posting they couldn't see he SNP getting north of 25 seats. The bookies seat line in the mid twenties.

One poster seemed pretty shrewd though. The late, lamented antifrank seemed to know what was up.

Late?? Have I missed some important news?
  • It’s hard not to laugh.

• Brom said:

I saw him once at Cambridge. He clearly felt he was on safe ground there and made most of his act about being very rude about The Queen. Not funny, just offensive.

I almost walked out and was only prevented by doing so by my wife, to save her embarrassment and mine as he’d have spotted it and heckled me.

So I angrily grimaced and stared at my shoes instead with my arms folded until it finished.

We didn’t go back for the second half.
    Unfunniest c*** who really rates himself goes to John Oliver
  • maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Brom said:

The real joy is trying to work out how many layers of irony there are in each bit - you often get the feeling he's not quite mocking the target it would appear he is.
    I think, as soon as he detects his thinks his audience thinks he’s on their side, he turns tails and does his comedy the other way round.
    edited December 2019

maaarsh said:

Brom said:

Al Murray back in the day had his pub landlord quite well balanced on that front. You genuinely didn't know if he was taking the piss out of people who think Pub landlord is a top bloke or your Guardian reading metropolitan type who thinks all people in working men's clubs are like that, or a bit of both. And initially a huge amount of it was improv.

I am fairly certain it is the former, but it wasn't Kumar you thick racist right wingers stuff.

SunnyJim said:

DavidL said:

I concur.
    Sturgeon's SNP is also John Smith or Gordon Brown Labour ideologically (bar nationalism) ie social democratic not socialist and to the right of Corbyn Labour
  • Good to see people now thinking about what happens after the election.

It's like a private admission of defeat.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

Anecdotal alert - not just dependent on when the Uni breaks up. At Bath its on the 13th, but many students will be gone earlier if they have little or no teaching on the wed, thur or Friday, as confirmed by my third year tutees.

It’s cynical and wrong, but I guess it’s about the dislocation from student turnout peer pressure as much as anything else.
    Alternatively, it's because elections in this country are traditionally on a Thursday, and moving it to Monday at shortish notice just before Christmas might have had an even greater impact on the councils who have to actually organise the polling stations/counts etc.
    Students aren't being disenfranchised; they're just more likely to have to vote somewhere else, and even then they can apply for postal votes. It's only a problem if you're counting on them being able to vote twice...
  • Brom said:

I am sure Mark Thomas does, but at least back in the day, he was genuinely funny. I think a good part of it was he was able to laugh at how nuts some of the people involved marches and protests actually are.

It seems Nish Kumar anybody opposed to him politically as the enemy and his side is not to be laughed at.

The first rule of comedy: be funny.

Any political impact you feel like making through your comedy should be incidental, and left up to the audience to decide, and not the central pitch of your act.
    Bob Mortimer is very funny and makes up for Jim Moir being less so
  • Essexit said:

On stand-up:
    Dave Chappelle and Bill Burr are god-tier. Even a snowflake would enjoy them provided they can take a joke.
    Tim Vine is good fun if you like wordplay and zaniness and want to forget politics for an hour.

This is genuinely my favourite piece of stand up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkN226PToig

has me howling every time
  • BluerBlue said:

Labour Leavers really have a call to make over the next 10 days. The Tories have screwed them over every single time they've been in power, do they want another five years of that? There are signs they're coming back - but they need to move and fast. We can still change things for the better and get this awful Government out.

Oh dear - looks like Labour Leavers are sick of being treated with contempt by Labour, and prefer to vote for a party that will actually respect their democratic choice. What a shame.

p.s. There are 8 full days of campaigning left.

I don’t know what will happen in the election but it seems at the moment, from reading the posts on here, that Labour is far more likely to howl with rage at the ‘betrayal’ of their Northern/Midlands voters than listen to them and learn from it.
    Brecht said it best in The Solution:

After the uprising of the 17th of June
    The Secretary of the Writers' Union
    Had leaflets distributed on the Stalinallee
    Stating that the people
    Had forfeited the confidence of the government
    And could only win it back
    By increased work quotas. Would it not in that case be simpler
    for the government
    To dissolve the people
    And elect another?
  • maaarsh said:

Brom said:

Al Murray back in the day had his pub landlord quite well balanced on that front. You genuinely didn't know if he was taking the piss out of people who think Pub landlord is a top bloke or your Guardian reading metropolitan type who thinks all people in working men's clubs are like that, or a bit of both. And initially a huge amount of it was improv.

I am fairly certain it is the former, but it wasn't Kumar you thick racist right wingers stuff.
    Yes, that’s a very good example.
    edited December 2019
    Lets spin it around to a positive...suggestions for a good stand-up comedian still doing the rounds?
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    edited December 2019

someone said:

It may be instructive to have a list of when universities break up to inform on likelihood of numbers going Labour

Most will be done by the 13th but, rather like Bath, we're just doing pizza parties and socials in the last year. One deadline for the 1st years.

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Brom said:

I think, as soon as he detects his thinks his audience thinks he’s on their side, he turns tails and does his comedy the other way round.
    Probably explains why when I saw him in Cambridge I came away feeling like he'd just taken the piss out of remainers for 2 hours straight without many of them seeming to notice.
  • Not quite standup, but fantastic nevertheless:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZMoB6ms2mE

I think a 15 to 45-50 or so tory majority would be a very bad result for Labour. Puts Johnson once again at the mercy of the ERG, rather than able to compromise on Europe. Less than that, and the sheer instability of events may return us to much of where we before.
    More than that, and he's free and clear to do what he wants.

But if Johnson ends up at the mercy of the ERG, and thus goes for a Hard Brexit and a raft of other loony right wing policies, is that not GOOD for Labour? Last thing we want is him doing a pragmatic economic-damage-limiting Brexit and then governing in sensible 'One Nation Tory' fashion.

Lets spin it around to a positive...suggests for a good stand-up comedian still doing the rounds?

Sean Lock I very much enjoyed a couple of years ago.
    edited December 2019
    Media giant Sky is to build huge new film studios near the existing Elstree production site outside London, creating 2,000 jobs.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50641745

• someone said:

It may be instructive to have a list of when universities break up to inform on likelihood of numbers going Labour

Most will be done by the 13th but, rather like Bath, we're just doing pizza parties and socials in the last year. One deadline for the 1st years.
    Hawaiians obvs...
    kinabalu said:

I think a 15 to 45-50 or so tory majority would be a very bad result for Labour. Puts Johnson once again at the mercy of the ERG, rather than able to compromise on Europe. Less than that, and the sheer instability of events may return us to much of where we before.

But if Johnson ends up at the mercy of the ERG, and thus goes for a Hard Brexit and a raft of other loony right wing policies, is that not GOOD for Labour? Last thing we want is him doing a pragmatic economic-damage-limiting Brexit and then governing in sensible 'One Nation Tory' fashion.
    Quite right - politics is about your team winning, not about living standards.

Essexit said:

On stand-up:

This is genuinely my favourite piece of stand up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkN226PToig

has me howling every time
    No piece of stand up can compete with the Death Star canteen.

Just nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpfmzfRf8UI
  • kinabalu said:

I think the last sentence is exactly what he’ll do.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

Lets spin it around to a positive...suggestions for a good stand-up comedian still doing the rounds?

You're in London judging by the volume of LD literature through your mailbox I think ?
    Relatively unknown but I think this guy tours there https://twitter.com/peanuthowe?lang=en - check him out if you can :)
    Of mainstream comedians on the TV/radio I find Hugh Dennis better than most, Dave Chappelle from USA good.
  • @Morris_Dancer

I get the impression that Rowan Atkinson is (secretly) rather centre-right.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    nunu2 said:

nunu2 said:

The national polls show the Tories unchanged from 2017?
    London is
    Lab -7.5%
    Con -3.1%
    LD +6.2%

Compared to GE 2017

Yes. Most polls show the tories unchanged from 2017 whereas this shows the tories down 3% in London. Which means Tories are up 3% somewhere else.

The question is where? Probably in the midlands and north
    Surely that maths only works if London is 50% of the voting population.

someone said:

If Bath students are going home then that's Labour Gain Chealsea and Fulham 😂
  • CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited December 2019
    Boris Johnson isn't a One Nation Tory, he's not anything. He will do and say anything to win and then afterwards he'll do whatever he needs to do to not do anything he has promised. He's the dictionary definition of a charlatan.
    If he does win - and I don't think he will win a majority - I am deeply concerned about this country, I haven't really felt that with a PM in my short lifetime. But I feel that with him.
  • Mr. Royale, Atkinson was very sound indeed on the desire of some to curb free speech because of 'offensiveness'.

Anyway, I must be off. Play nicely, everyone.
    edited December 2019
    nunu2 said:

someone said:

Surely that's Bristol not Bath uni, no?
  • Boris Johnson isn't a One Nation Tory, he's not anything. He will do and say anything to win and then afterwards he'll do whatever he needs to do to not do anything he has promised. He's the dictionary definition of a charlatan.
    If he does win - and I don't think he will win a majority - I am deeply concerned about this country, I haven't really felt that with a PM in my short lifetime. But I feel that with him.

Welcome to how the biggest voting bloc in this country feels about Corbyn and his extremism.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,405
    Refreshing to see the PB gammonati foaming at the mouth over lefty comedians.

Will it be gender-neutral toilets this afternoon?
  • Refreshing to see the PB gammonati foaming at the mouth over lefty comedians.

I think most people are pointing out those that aren't actually comedians...cos you have to be funny to be one.
  • https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1201834773297160192

BBC proving yet again they don't have a spine
  • CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited December 2019
    BluerBlue said:

Boris Johnson isn't a One Nation Tory, he's not anything. He will do and say anything to win and then afterwards he'll do whatever he needs to do to not do anything he has promised. He's the dictionary definition of a charlatan.

Welcome to how the biggest voting bloc in this country feels about Corbyn and his extremism.
    Johnson is extreme, he's a mini Trump. We're fucked.
    Corbyn won't have enough seats to do anything - but Johnson will. That terrifies me.
  • https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1201834773297160192

BBC proving yet again they don't have a spine

When is Swinson's interview? Or was that supposed to be this evening?
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Have LAB gone ahead yet?
  • BluerBlue said:

Corbyn won't have enough seats to do anything - but Johnson will. That terrifies me.
    Calm down.

nunu2 said:

someone said:

Oh sorry, yes you're right.

Labour Hold Hampstead and Kilburn 😇

BluerBlue said:

London's only just recovering from his reign of terror!

What utter shite. He's a middle of the road liberal tory who wants to be PM whilst life carries on broadly unchanged around him.
  • Refreshing to see the PB gammonati foaming at the mouth over lefty comedians.

Gender neutral toilets do waste 30 seconds of my life every time as I walk in, spot there are no urinals, and have to go back out to check the picture on the door.
    Also I’m not too sure women appreciate the idea of gender neutral loos on days after I’ve had a curry.
  • On the London poll and differential regional swings, I'll just post this link again from last night. Apologies if done already today - I've no gone back through the thread yet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LeanTossup/status/1201694157523292160

Trying to match up anecdotal reports about the visceral doorstep reactions, the C4 focus group, and reports of where the Labour bus is visiting, the MRP - with the national polls and possible evidence of a narrowing lead is really hard.

Common sense about where the parties are in terms of who can enlarge their 2017 base suggests it's Boris by a wide margin and we could be in landslide territory. But I just can't shake off the doubts from 2017.

I'm a small-scale bettor backing a good sized majority and a number of constituency bets - but I'm green on a 2017 type result too - as long as it isn't Tories below 300 in which case I've probably lost nearly all of it!

Let's hope for some more evidence of regional swings that we don;t have to divine from the entrails of a national poll subsample...
    edited December 2019

I like Stewart Lee best.

And he takes it to 'hostile' places. Gig in Essex, I saw. "Man, amazing around here. It's like a white supremacy theme park." They all went with it.
    But anyway, question for you -
    My sense is that the Cons are set to win a ton of seats from Labour up North/Midlands. But you live there, don't you? So what is your feeling on this?
  • maaarsh said:

BluerBlue said:

London's only just recovering from his reign of terror!

What utter shite. He's a middle of the road liberal tory who wants to be PM whilst life carries on broadly unchanged around him.
    He was middle of the road Tory for London and left a mess when he left. Now he's a hard-right PM because that's what he needs to do to win.
    He is whatever he needs to be to win - and then he ruins things when he gets in and after he leaves. I don't want a mini-Trump in power, I will do whatever I can to stop him.
  • Ave_it said:

Have LAB gone ahead yet?

Don't. Just don't.

;-)
    edited December 2019
    nunu2 said:

nunu2 said:

someone said:

Oh sorry, yes you're right.

Labour Hold Hampstead and Kilburn 😇
    Seems Bristol uni are still there until the 18th....keep all the mad Corbynistas in their mini-Islington for another week. Labour nailed on in Bristol West.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

Has it occurred to you that Johnson might want to do some things that will result in a) him being seen as a good Prime Minister, and (related) b) increased chances of him being re-elected with a bigger majority in 2024?
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    nunu2 said:

This is really bad for Labour. A lot of their increase in the polls is coming from London.

Same as 2017, the Labour surge racked up a high vote count, but didn't win them that many extra seats. It made the Tory vote more efficient (or more accurately, went from inefficient to average).

• ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

• I just watched the Nish Kumar clip (I hadn’t before) on Twitter.

He should be grateful to the compère for saving him. The trouble is he got angry when his humour fell flat and decidedly to obstinately fight the audience back.
  • Meet the 100 people who will decide the election

100 swing voters. 60 marginal seats. One decision. Ben Macintyre explains what happened when The Times brought them together in a room in Manchester

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/meet-the-100-people-who-will-decide-the-election-xgvdn86q2
    edited December 2019

I just watched the Nish Kumar clip (I hadn’t before) on Twitter.

He should be grateful to the compère for saving him. The trouble is he got angry when his humour fell flat and decidedly to obstinately fight the audience back.

Well that's it. Him yelling he isn't budging and going full Bercow. You just look like a toddler having a strop. It was a charity fundraiser not an XR protest.

Most good comedians have some "safe gags" they can go to if the audience isn't really on-board.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    edited December 2019
    Some polling earlier that showed 1 in 25 of the voters out there think Labour will get a majority of more 50.
    If we exclude SNP seats (because, they just aren't going to win any, but let's be kind and say they don't lose any either) then to have a majoirty of over 50, then they would have to take all their target seats upto and including Banbury (requiring a 10% swing). Flavible is currently pedicting a 29% margin on the Con majority.
    Just in case anybody wondered.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

BluerBlue said:

What political positions of Johnson would you describe as being on the political extreme?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,589

Refreshing to see the PB gammonati foaming at the mouth over lefty comedians.

Gender neutral toilets do waste 30 seconds of my life every time as I walk in, spot there are no urinals, and have to go back out to check the picture on the door.
    Also I’m not too sure women appreciate the idea of gender neutral loos on days after I’ve had a curry.
    I'm not convinced anyone appreciates you on those days...
    edited December 2019

Some polling earlier that showed 1 in 25 of the voters out there think Labour will get a majority of more 50.
    If we exclude SNP seats (because, they just aren't going to win any, but let's be kind and say they don't lose any either) then to have a majoirty of over 50, then they would have to take all their target seats upto and including Banbury (requiring a 10% swing). Flavible is currently pedicting a 29% margin on the Con majority.
    Just in case anybody wondered.

I think that it shows is the public rarely really have a clue what is going on. It makes all this stuff about careful tactical voting a nonsense. Yes some switched on people will, but not the masses. The vast majority go with the "team" they feel is right for them.
This discussion has been closed.