Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour needs to take 79 of these seats to secure a majority

Comments

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    TheIndyPolitics ‏@IndyPolitics

Maria Miller expenses scandal: Tory MP ‘says Cameron would have sacked her days ago – if she was called Mark' http://ind.pn/1qk0qvm
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Mick_Pork said:

@AlanBrooke

You'll find the help you're clearly looking for here. http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/

Mick you big dangling tease, you know you're mine. you can play hard to get but 18th September its.

#SNPsubmissivebronzeeye

You know you want to.
  • Options
    Theresa May ‏@TheresaMay_MP 4h

Could I have 5 unsliced loaves please & directions to the fish counter.. #CameronJesus pic.twitter.com/Oxb2QecFrG
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Theresa May ‏@TheresaMay_MP 4h

Could I have 5 unsliced loaves please & directions to the fish counter.. #CameronJesus pic.twitter.com/Oxb2QecFrG

Could I have fking clue on what's happening since I'm talking out my arse ?

#Salmondceviche

Tickle your sporran for a tenner ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Important poll (not yet linked?)

Huge majority - 2 to 1 - of Brits (outside Scotland) oppose a currency union with Scotland.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/apr/11/the-future-of-scotlands-currency-continues-to-divide-opinion-polls-show

It really is NOT going to happen, if Scotland votes YES. No Westminster party will commit suicide by creating a tiny new ex-UK eurozone, vastly unpopular with voters.

Scotland, we want you to stay. You're part of the family! But if you go, you GO.

Sean, stop worrying the SNP are all prima donnas - think antifrank but a bit gay.

I'm now lovebombing nats for the next 6 months and Mick's my bitch.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    SeanT said:

Huge majority - 2 to 1 - of Brits (outside Scotland) oppose a currency union with Scotland.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/apr/11/the-future-of-scotlands-currency-continues-to-divide-opinion-polls-show

It really is NOT going to happen, if Scotland votes YES. No Westminster party will commit suicide by creating a tiny new ex-UK eurozone, vastly unpopular with voters.

Scotland, we want you to stay. You're part of the family! But if you go, you GO.

Of course rUk doesn't want a currency union - civil service advice and what the chancellor thinks is here nor there - pitchforks have kept us out of the Euro - ditto any say in our fine currency for the splitters.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited April 2014
    Twitter
    Robert Colvile ‏@rcolvile 4m
    @Nigel_Farage really getting it in the neck on Have I Got News For You. Smile increasingly strained...
    TGOHF said:

Have I got bad news for Nige ?

• Options
    It's amusing to note that in spite of these heroic efforts to bolster the UK government's propaganda campaign, YouGov have still managed to uncover a slight DECREASE in English opposition to a currency union since they asked the question at the time of George Osborne's speech.

Much more interesting is the finding that a paltry 8% of respondents in England, Wales and Northern Ireland think they would be financially better off if Scotland became independent. It seems that deep down, voters south of the border do have a sense that London media mythology about resource-rich Scotland being "subsidised" is probably garbage.

*chortle*

As an out of touch mockney might say, Gertcha! Jellied eels.
  • Options
    @SkyNews: DAILY MAIL FRONT PAGE: Monstrous cover-up. #skypapers http://t.co/iEkSd9n0Lm
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "I'm now lovebombing nats for the next 6 months and Mick's my bitch"

Dear God! Well, if you must can't you do it in private?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "Seats being defended May 2014 by political party

Labour 1,763
    Conservatives 1,535
    LibDem 691
    Ind 85
    UKIP 31
    Greens 18"

twitter.com/UKELECTIONS2015/status/454599387176767488
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

It's amusing to note that in spite of these heroic efforts to bolster the UK government's propaganda campaign, YouGov have still managed to uncover a slight DECREASE in English opposition to a currency union since they asked the question at the time of George Osborne's speech.

Much more interesting is the finding that a paltry 8% of respondents in England, Wales and Northern Ireland think they would be financially better off if Scotland became independent. It seems that deep down, voters south of the border do have a sense that London media mythology about resource-rich Scotland being "subsidised" is probably garbage.

*chortle*

You think once any referendum for rUk starts that it will switch the other way - oh dear.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    TGOHF said:

Have I got bad news for Nige ?

Well it wasn't to bad, but politicians, especially before an election, should keep away from HIGNFY.
  • Options

Mr L it's a dirty job but someone's got to do it.

In truth Mick will jump about all over the place but's it's only so he can have a dominator.

18th september he'll vote No as he has been told, he's from the same mould as Osborne.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TGOHF

'You think once any referendum for rUk starts that it will switch the other way - oh dear.'

Desperate straw clutching.and good comedy.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

You might even be sober in six months time but I doubt it going by your deranged babbling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmGjiokfQ2A

If you try really hard you might even sound as bright as your chums here. Keep at it.

LOL
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Tony Blair’s eldest son is being tipped as a potential Labour candidate in one of the party’s safest seats, it has emerged.

Euan Blair is among the names being discussed for Bootle, Merseyside, where Labour had a majority of more than 21,000 at the last election.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4061496.ece
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128
    The Channel 5 program about Roma and benefits is laying it on with the biggest trowel ever.

It makes Benefit Street look subtle.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Not sure this is the best way to put the last Labour Government's Iraq legacy behind them.....

Twitter
    Nick Robinson ‏@bbcnickrobinson 2m
    The self-styled "under-estimated" leader @Ed_Miliband tells me on a visit to Israel that he wants to be the "Post Iraq Prime Minister"
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Tony Blair’s eldest son is being tipped as a potential Labour candidate in one of the party’s safest seats, it has emerged.

Euan Blair is among the names being discussed for Bootle, Merseyside, where Labour had a majority of more than 21,000 at the last election.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4061496.ece

Is he up against a Kinnock or a Miliband ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Of course rUk doesn't want a currency union - civil service advice and what the chancellor thinks is here nor there - pitchforks have kept us out of the Euro - ditto any say in our fine currency for the splitters.
    Sure, but what amazes me is that the Scots clearly believe a currency union will happen, no worries. And this is SUCH a fundamental issue - it is the basis of their independent economy.

The only remote way a currency union might be agreed (in the teeth of polls like this) would be if the Bank of England got absolute control of Scottish borrowing, taxes, interest rates and the rest, without Scotland having a political say.

i.e. Scotland will be less autonomous than it is now. This would be wholly unacceptable to Scots (of course) so they would be forced into the only alternative: informal sterlingisation.

The Panama Solution is what will inevitably happen in iScotland, pending eventual entry into the euro. Scots need to know this.

It's not too poor. It's not too wee. It's too STUPID that's the killer. can any nation really be that dumb - and I'm fking Irish !

#Natplankton
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

"Seats being defended May 2014 by political party

Labour 1,763
    Conservatives 1,535
    LibDem 691
    Ind 85
    UKIP 31
    Greens 18"

twitter.com/UKELECTIONS2015/status/454599387176767488

2010 local election results: Con 35%, Lab 27%, LD 26%.

(numbers from wikipedia)

• Options

I fear you may just have struck on his entire problem. LOL Don't worry I'm sure he won't be making such a complete tit of himself when he finally sobers up.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,323
    edited April 2014
    SeanT said:

Yes, those are crushing numbers. The nations of the sterling zone might - just might - take pity on Scotland if they could be persuaded that having an economically devastated neighbour is in no one's interest - the political turmoil, the fleeing migrants, the threat of insurrection etc. In the end some kind of annexation might be the only way to save Scotland, but it could become another Balkans.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "The Panama Solution is what will inevitably happen in iScotland, pending eventual entry into the euro."

I am not at all sure how a country can meet the criteria for entry into the Euro without first having its own currency. The Panama solution would actually be a Panama stop-gap whilst iScotland got their own central bank etc set up.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Caught the last 10 minutes or so.

1. Stephen Mangan has lost a lot of weight plus his hair thing is off-putting.
    2. Typical luvvie-fest lapping up NFarage's presence.
    3. NFarage did fine. Smile a bit forced but understandably so. He was super-butt of the jokes.
    4. They were ruthless and relentless in a way they wouldn't have been with any other party leader.
    5. Then again UKIP often asks for it.
    6. I thought he was ingenuous; he seemed to be genuinely happy that he had got eg. the floods one right. Almost touchingly so.
    7. The over-riding impression will be: good old boy, well done - no other leader would have submitted themselves to it nor been treated that way.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

You might even be sober in six months time but I doubt it going by your deranged babbling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmGjiokfQ2A

If you try really hard you might even sound as bright as your chums here. Keep at it.

LOL
    yeah, but I own you.
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552
    SeanT said:

Oh dear. Someone still thinks politicians listen to people.
    The currency union will happen.
    Westminster will spin it. "Better a currency union than 1 million economic migrants flooding down south"
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128
    Have the Ladbrokes constituency markets disappeared for everyone or is it only me they've disappeared for during the last two days ?
  • Options
    Jim Arnott ‏@JimArnott 4h

“Of course there will be a currency union” Says senior UK Government Minister http://bit.ly/1gT0oLj #businessforscotland #indyref

You have to feel sorry for the PB tories. Made to look gullible fools time after time after time by Cammie's Cast Iron EU posturing, then they shriek for weeks about Osbrowne's comical currency posturing and the precise same thing happens.

Remember the PB Golden rule.

The PB tories are always wrong. The PB tories never learn.

:)
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    SeanT said:

Mick_Pork said:

*chortle*

Yeah, opposition to currency union of about 2 to 1, down from about 2 to 1. Fascinating movements.

Moreover, note this:

"Scottish Financial Enterprise has calculated that nine in ten customers of Scotland's many banks, pension providers and investment institutions are based elsewhere in the UK. If 42% of those customers were to move their money out of Scotland, as the YouGov/UKForex poll suggests, it could mean as much as £280bn moving south of the border."

Imagine Northern Rock, times a thousand. A run on all Scottish banks, as English depositors get nervy.

A bank run?

I think Usain Bolt would have trouble keeping up...
  • Options

SeanT said:

Westminster will spin it. "Better a currency union than 1 million economic migrants flooding down south"
    By your logic we have would have the Euro by now.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

“Of course there will be a currency union” Says senior UK Government Minister http://bit.ly/1gT0oLj #businessforscotland #indyref

You have to feel sorry for the PB tories. Made to look gullible fools time after time after time by Cammie's Cast Iron EU posturing, then they shriek for weeks about Osbrowne's comical currency posturing and the precise same thing happens.

Which minister was it ?
  • Options
    George Osborne really is pinging Ed Balls economic elastic....
    Twitter
    Tim Montgomerie ‏@TimMontgomerie 4m
    George Osborne nails the Left, whatever the circumstances: spend, spend, spend pic.twitter.com/vFKLUaZ7pU

PoliticsHome ‏@politicshome 4m
    Tomorrow's Financial Times front page: 'Osborne tightens net on tax havens' http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/96273/the_financial_times_saturday_12th_april_2014.html
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    LOL

Duncan Williams ‏@weeklies 1h

Corker of a headline...>>"INDEPENDENT FRONT PAGE: Expenses inquiry into sex party at Tory conference. pic.twitter.com/V60nXOPUIx"

Cammie's having quite the week. No wonder the usual suspects sound on the verge of tears.
  • Options
    Mandy and Hezza said we would join the Euro - they weren't wrong, they were "Pork wrong".
  • Options
    @Mick_Pork

Don't let go of those straws.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. Eh, unless the UK allowed Scotland into the EU the border could be closed to prevent the '1 million migrants' coming south.

More seriously, pissing off three-fifths of the electorate by u-turning on something that's crystal clear immediately ahead of an election would be not so much brave as suicidal.
  • Options
    Talk about clutching at imaginary straws.....that is just desperate.
    Mick_Pork said:

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    edited April 2014
    Argh! I think I accidentally centred everything...

Edited extra bit: huzzah, a quick refresh sorted it. And with that, I'm off.
  • Options
    @Johnny_Zimmy

you think that's what Cammie's was thinking was by keeping the expenses embarrassment Miller on for so long? That went well, didn't it?
  • Options
    @fitalass

They want to be independent but don't want to let go of nurse,pathetic.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    Mick_Pork said:

The emanations of impotence from the PB Eunuchs are strong tonight, and it's not even a full moon.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

By your logic we have would have the Euro by now.
    Quite.

And of course the only way you could sell this currency union, as an emergency measure, is AFTER Scotland has got into serious trouble, not before. The British voter would need to see evidence that this drastic and unwanted step was unavoidable.

And nothing that the rUK government does could stop 5 million rUK Brits voting with their deposits, and starting a run on Scottish banks.

I wonder if this capital flight out of Edinburgh is already happening. There's no knowing what idiocy Salmond might try.
  • Options

Mr. Eh, unless the UK allowed Scotland into the EU the border could be closed to prevent the '1 million migrants' coming south.

More seriously, pissing off three-fifths of the electorate by u-turning on something that's crystal clear immediately ahead of an election would be not so much brave as suicidal.

Seriously pissing off three-fifths of the electorate is what Westminster does on a daily basis.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    @Mick_Pork

If you really want to be independent you need to grow a pair,do your own thing & stop pathetically clinging onto nurse .Time to $hit or get off the pot.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    john_zims said:

@fitalass

They want to be independent but don't want to let go of nurse,pathetic.

It's more like a baby's comfort blanket...
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

The emanations of impotence from the PB Eunuchs are strong tonight, and it's not even a full moon.
    Which minister was it ? Rev I M Jolly ?
  • Options
    edited April 2014

"The Panama Solution is what will inevitably happen in iScotland, pending eventual entry into the euro."

I am not at all sure how a country can meet the criteria for entry into the Euro without first having its own currency. The Panama solution would actually be a Panama stop-gap whilst iScotland got their own central bank etc set up.

Mr L, putting Porkie on his dog lead aside, the best quote I have seen this week is

"Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil,"

The whole premise of Nattery is based on a false platfrom and easy bucks never are; life has an irritating habit of changing the slam dunks so that they're never slam nor dunk but just an almost could have been.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Talk about clutching at imaginary straws.....

If you insist.

Conservatives could hold Lisbon Treaty referendum after ratification

A Conservative government could hold a referendum on the European Union's Lisbon Treaty even if it has already been ratified, William Hague has said

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/3097376/Conservatives-could-hold-Lisbon-Treaty-referendum-after-ratification.html

Not just gullible but Cast Iron gullible.

How's Osbrowne's EU master strategy going BTW?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

Odd? The kippers certainly don't look stone dead or anything close to their 2010 3.1%.
    Never mind. Some more fop posturing should keep the PB Cameroons happy.

• Options

Quite.

And of course the only way you could sell this currency union, as an emergency measure, is AFTER Scotland has got into serious trouble, not before. The British voter would need to see evidence that this drastic and unwanted step was unavoidable.

And nothing that the rUK government does could stop 5 million rUK Brits voting with their deposits, and starting a run on Scottish banks.

So, from no chance to a slight chance.
    Westminster would "pre-empt any cataclysmic event" and tell you all how clever they are.
  • Options
    Which front page is worse for LDs - Mail or Times ?
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

They do seem unusually grumpy don't they? They must have missed their regular delivery of Viagra, the poor old sausages.

Not so for tory MPs. ;)

Ian Horrocks ‏@ianoryx 12m

Tories being savaged by press at present MT @amolrajan Inquiry into Tory conference 'sex party paid on expenses' pic.twitter.com/tTwpM10GAQ

More expenses headlines and even more amusing ones than Bone and his £90,000.
    Can't see how that could be bad for Cammie.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

They do seem unusually grumpy don't they? They must have missed their regular delivery of Viagra, the poor old sausages.

Not so for tory MPs. ;)

Ian Horrocks ‏@ianoryx 12m

Tories being savaged by press at present MT @amolrajan Inquiry into Tory conference 'sex party paid on expenses' pic.twitter.com/tTwpM10GAQ

More expenses headlines and even more amusing ones than Bone and his £90,000.
    Can't see how that could be bad for Cammie.
    Cougar Salmond entering the campaign must have us worried....
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    TGOHF said:

Which front page is worse for tories - independent or telegraph ;-)

FFS,miliband doesn't have to lift a finger for the keys of number 10,the telegraph really do hate Cameron.

• Options

TGOHF said:

FFS,miliband doesn't have to lift a finger for the keys of number 10,the telegraph really do hate Cameron.

Indy - sex parties are good publicity.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Not all the Telegraph surely? There must be a mockney clickbaiter still in there gullible enough to implicitly believe all the fop posturing. Be it on currency or the EU.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,323

TGOHF said:

Mind you, the second headline is a bit bizarre:

'Mercer faces suspension as MP to cap Cameron's woes.'

Cap Cameron's woes? I'd have thought Dave would regard it as the one bright point of the week:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2060908/Tory-MP-Patrick-Mercer-calls-David-Cameron-worst-British-politician-Gladstone.html
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Sundip Meghani ‏@Sundip 2h

Another Tory MP under investigation for expenses claims! Peter Bone MP being investigated for upkeep of second home - http://bbc.in/ONT7Qp

Pablo Byrne ‏@anBhanna

Peter Bone, thanks his wife for letting him on #bbcsp. She should be thanking him, given we pay her £50k - the highest paid MP’s secretary.

The cretins wanting to bring up politicians wives on today of all days are a wee bit dolly dimple.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    Evening all :)

Let's be fair - most people under 40 won't have a clue who Cyril Smith was and trying to portray this as some kind of "damage" to the LDs is as preposterous as suggesting the Profumo scandal would damage today's Conservative Party.

I suspect Mr Flashman's ghost is wandering the corridors making mischief this evening...
  • Options
    Of far more interest - Randwick stages the inaugural Championships weekend - the most valuable day's racing ever staged in the Southern Hemisphere. The first day has almost as much prize money at £5,350,000 as Arc day in Paris.

My kind of Hemisphere, the Southern Hemisphere is...
  • Options
    No getting away from it.it's been a bad week for Cameron and the tories and still in one poll today,one point behind labour ;-)
  • Options
    Telegraph News ‏@TelegraphNews 1m

Former shadow Tory minister Patrick Mercer expected to be banned for up to six months http://fw.to/WD6OnNS

Old Holborn ‏@OHwinsAgain 2h

Ex Tory Minister to be banned for 6 months for cash for questions http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10761392/Former-shadow-Tory-minister-Patrick-Mercer-set-to-be-banned-for-up-to-six-months.html

It's all getting a bit omnishambolic now, isn't it?

Comedy fops.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    SeanT said:

Ed Miliband on the BBC Ten.

That has to be the most unfavourable news package biopic I have ever seen...he is VERY Jewish.

Classy.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Nobody commenting on the new font and layout? It's an ideal squirrel after all.

*chortle*
  • Options

"So, from no chance to a slight chance.
    Westminster would "pre-empt any cataclysmic event" and tell you all how clever they are."

So.... vote YES on the "slight chance" that Westminster will agree to a currency union as the Scottish economy will collapse otherwise.

Is that the Nat prospectus?

Vote YES on the "slight chance" that Westminster will agree to a currency union as the Scottish economy will collapse otherwise!!

Ridic.

A large chunk of my family lives in Scotland. They are free to vote YES, and good luck to them, but I want them to do it knowing the facts, not a lot of dangerously wishful thinking.

If you really believe Osborne, Balls and Alexander then no problem.
    After all these guys never lie.
  • Options
    The Times:

There is no longer any point to the Liberal Democrats, one of the party’s most senior MPs has claimed. Voters cannot be blamed for abandoning the party, according to Jeremy Browne, a Liberal Democrat minister until October, who puts the blame at the feet of Nick Clegg for pandering to its left wing.

Is Jeremy Browne about to defect to the Tories? Now that would be a turn-up.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

No getting away from it.it's been a bad week for Cameron and the tories and still in one poll today,one point behind labour ;-)

That poll is remarkable, given the awful week Tories have endured.

It tells me the VI narrowing is real, and based on an improving economy - nothing else. And that's why lefties are worried.
    Economic impact even moving onto the Indyref VI in this weeks polls.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

That has to be the most unfavourable news package biopic I have ever seen...he is VERY Jewish.

Classy.
    It's the usual 'Vicky Pollard' style trolling. If anyone questions it he'll give it the "yeah but no but yeah but no" excuse on meaning any of it.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

The Times:

There is no longer any point to the Liberal Democrats, one of the party’s most senior MPs has claimed. Voters cannot be blamed for abandoning the party, according to Jeremy Browne, a Liberal Democrat minister until October, who puts the blame at the feet of Nick Clegg for pandering to its left wing.

The interesting thing is that there have been angry rumblings against Browne from some of Clegg's most loyal spinners lately. So this outburst may have been expected.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,909
    TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

It tells me the VI narrowing is real, and based on an improving economy - nothing else. And that's why lefties are worried.
    Which ones, please?

• Options

Lorena @LogicalLorena

@David_Cameron Do you really think what I just watched #GypsiesOnBenefitsAndProud is fair to the tax paying ppl of this country. Im outraged

BBC as just done a clip on the news trying to cool the tensions.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,903
    edited April 2014
    SeanT said:

You should do a Blog about it - There's nothing more guaranteed ti raise the ire of the Telegraph blog community than suggesting things may be looking up for Cameron and the government.

This perfectly reasonable polling assessment;

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/pollingobservatory/100267307/the-conservatives-are-slowly-gaining-despite-ukip/

Has generated over 2000 comments!!!!!
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Let's be fair - most people under 40 won't have a clue who Cyril Smith was

Rennard certainly wasn't a household name. So it depends entirely on just how much of this is just speculative rehashing.

• Options

The Times:

I'd be surprised if Jeremy Browne has actually said that direct quote but it will no doubt be seized on by those not well disposed toward the Party in general.

I'm keen to read Browne's book and the advance notices will no doubt help his sales. He represents a strong strand of opinion within the party though the stench of sour grapes toward Nick Clegg won't help his cause if he sees himself (which I suspect he doesn't) as a future leadership contender.

Much of his prospectus sounds like the Liberal Party of the 1950s which was the most right-wing of the three parties (and included members of the IEA and other Thatcherite think-tanks among its membership) and rejected much of the prevailing Butskellite consensus.

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    The free weekend picture supplement combined with that story looks icky.
    TGOHF said:

@SkyNews: DAILY MAIL FRONT PAGE: Monstrous cover-up. #skypapers http://t.co/iEkSd9n0Lm

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    edited April 2014
    TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Perhaps may bleed in to losing Ramsden Cup finalist's season tickets? A rising tide lifts even basket cases?

• Options
    Twitter
    Media Guido ‏@MediaGuido 4m
    N.B. At no point in the interview with @thetimes (splash "Lib Dems 'are pointless' ") does Jeremy Browne say the Lib Dems are pointless.
  • Options
    Have the people at UK Polling Report fallen asleep? The table showing their polling data hasn't been updated since 2 April nine days ago.

That's probably why Dr. Stephen Fisher hasn't yet updated his GE Seats Forecast which he usually does on a Friday based on UKPR's latest polling figures.
  • Options
    stodge said:

The Times:

I'd be surprised if Jeremy Browne has actually said that direct quote but it will no doubt be seized on by those not well disposed toward the Party in general.

I'm keen to read Browne's book and the advance notices will no doubt help his sales. He represents a strong strand of opinion within the party though the stench of sour grapes toward Nick Clegg won't help his cause if he sees himself (which I suspect he doesn't) as a future leadership contender.
    Book quotables are indeed hardly new. Though I think you may be stretching all credibility if you think there is strong strand of opinion that thinks Clegg is useless because he's too left-wing??? Quite the reverse.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    stodge said:

The Times:

Much of his prospectus sounds like the Liberal Party of the 1950s which was the most right-wing of the three parties (and included members of the IEA and other Thatcherite think-tanks among its membership) and rejected much of the prevailing Butskellite consensus.

If he sounds like a Tory, then he is a Tory.
  • Options

Have the people at UK Polling Report fallen asleep? The table showing their polling data hasn't been updated since 2 April nine days ago.

That's probably why Dr. Stephen Fisher hasn't yet updated his GE Seats Forecast which he usually does on a Friday based on UKPR's latest polling figures.

Perhaps Anthony is unwell? Or having a holiday? It must be hard work running that website and keeping it updated. I think AW does a grand job. :D

• Options
    surbiton said:

stodge said:

The Times:

If he sounds like a Tory, then he is a Tory.
    He's also dire on stuff like QT so there is no chance whatsoever that he has any realistic leadership ambitions as stodge says. Though to be fair Clegg is toxic and he's still leader. ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Just remind us how much the current SNP Government has cost the Scots taxpayers trying to hide their non existent legal advice on EU membership! After Megrahi, letting our tax raising powers lapse in the last Parliament etc, I wouldn't trust Salmond & Co if they told me it was raining outside these days.

"So, from no chance to a slight chance.
    Westminster would "pre-empt any cataclysmic event" and tell you all how clever they are."

So.... vote YES on the "slight chance" that Westminster will agree to a currency union as the Scottish economy will collapse otherwise.

Is that the Nat prospectus?

Vote YES on the "slight chance" that Westminster will agree to a currency union as the Scottish economy will collapse otherwise!!

Ridic.

A large chunk of my family lives in Scotland. They are free to vote YES, and good luck to them, but I want them to do it knowing the facts, not a lot of dangerously wishful thinking.

If you really believe Osborne, Balls and Alexander then no problem.
    After all these guys never lie.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

It's not the Jewishness per se, of course, it is the perceived associations with Israel (not a seller), and the general north London foreign-ness that goes with.

....You what?

I thought that package was one of the best I've ever seen Ed come across. One of his main problems is, when he's doing one of his pre-prepared soundbites for the news, he sounds SO wooden and insincere. This time he actually seemed more natural. He'll always be a geek, but if he atleast come across as an authentic and sincere geek then that would be an improvement.
  • Options
    Re. Jeremy Browne, being sacked in favour of crazy crank Norman Baker must have stung, so it wouldn't surprise me if he goes rogue...
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    fitalass said:

After Megrahi,

There was an SNP landslide win. Meanwhile there are still more Pandas than scottish tory MPs. So unless someone still has their head stuck up Cameron's backside it's blatantly obvious who the public trusts more and it ain't old biddies from SCON or Cammie.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,999
    @Stodge Some interesting races tommorow here too - Guineas/Derby prospect Kingman runs in the Abdullah colours of Frankel fame at Newbury, and My Tent or Yours tries to defy over a stone at Ayr.
  • Options
    I wonder whether Ed Milliband's ever been drunk in his life? I get the feeling that while Willie Hague was downing 34 pints in one sitting Ed would have been more likely to be playing with his Rublix Cube...
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Dear Mr T - in fact what Miliband is currently doing is saying (in Israel), vote for me because my family were gassed by the nazis.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Tories set for more embarrassment as Patrick Mercer faces scrutiny http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/10/tories-embarrassment-patrick-mercer-standards … < a lobbying sting..

Tory MP, Peter Bone's, expenses under investigation by Standards Cttee http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/11/tory-mp-peter-bone-expenses-investigation

When 2 scandals collide: Sexpenses RT @amolrajan EXCLUSIVE: EXPENSES INQUIRY INTO SEX PARTY AT TORY CONF @Independent pic.twitter.com/pUHLr3eTfd

Daily_Express ‏@Daily_Express

David Cameron claims 'Big Society' is the work of Jesus, as he calls himself 'Dyno-rod' http://dexpr.es/1eu4rrT

Foptastic. Happy Easter. :)
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    fitalass said:

Just remind us how much the current SNP Government has cost the Scots taxpayers trying to hide their non existent legal advice on EU membership! After Megrahi, letting our tax raising powers lapse in the last Parliament etc, I wouldn't trust Salmond & Co if they told me it was raining outside these days.

Of course George and co. have their own non-existent legal advice, these days:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/currency-furore-over-mystery-of-missing-memos.23890582

And of the Scottish or UK parliaments, looks to me like the Scottish one was the more honourable over Lockerbie/Megrahi

" I wouldn't trust Salmond & Co if they told me it was raining outside these days."

to be fair, I don't think this is a change in your position
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

GIN1138 (I think) says 'There's nothing more guaranteed to raise the ire of the Telegraph blog community than suggesting things may be looking up for Cameron and the government.'

There are a lot of sad people about who can only rant and rave. Its one reason why the Telegraph has become a joke. At least the Mail concentrates on cellulite and women out of their make up.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Re-post from earlier:

In 45 of Labour's 106 target seats, the Labour candidate is female and their opponent is male. And there's some evidence that women prefer to vote for female candidates IIRC.
  • Options
    Vanilla still a little "patchy" loading comments for me tonight?
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    @SeanT @Tyke

LOL. As Tories with their heads screwed on you both know better than to take solace in an outlier?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I wonder whether Ed Milliband's ever been drunk in his life? I get the feeling that while Willie Hague was downing 34 pints in one sitting Ed would have been more likely to be playing with his Rublix Cube...

That's an 'ell of a difference between them then.
This discussion has been closed.