Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With a December 12th election looking a near certainty punters

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    Cyclefree said:

Am probably a cynical old bat. But wouldn't be surprised to find that we never hear of Boris's deal again, it having served its purpose to set up a "Boris v Parliament" fight.

If he wins he'll just take Britain out & sign up to whatever rubbish deal Trump puts in front of him.

No as the Boris Deal will be in the Tory manifesto and is a good deal, plus we can still get a trade deal with the US under the Boris Deal anyway
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Boris should be a better campaigner than May anyway... Hopefully this time he won't come up with a manifesto that threatens his own voters... That'd help!

He could hardly be a worse campaigner than May!
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    edited October 2019
    rpjs said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

OT Going to Iceland tomorrow. Any recommendations?

If you've got time, a trip across the south coast to jökulsárlón glacier is fantastic.

Golden Circle, whale watching trips out to sea from Reykjavík are fun. Northern Lights chasing trips are easy to get onto.

Reykjavík is small and very walkable. There is a great coffee shop on Skólavörðustígur, called Mokka, straight off the main street - good waffles.

Thank you. Got Golden Circle, whales and Northern Lights booked although looks like rain. Will check out glacier and coffee shop.

I'm a foodie, but the Icelandic food looks decidedly dodgy particularly as I am not a fish fan. I suspect gulls and puffins also taste of fish.
    DO NOT have their petrified shark. I can still taste it and is in the top three most disgusting things I have ever eaten.
    I suspect that hákarl, like lutefisk in Norway and surströmming in Sweden, is something the locals don’t ever actually eat, except perhaps when very drunk.
    They do eat it. They actually like it.

Relatedly I was v recently in the Deep South, for the first time. The food in New Orrrrrrleans was incroyable

The food in Mississippi was less good, though nice. And then there was: grits. UGH
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Foxy said:

crandles said:

NI budget bill in one day tomorrow. So that leaves a week of commons time for what? Is something silly planned like a meaningful vote?

No

Parliament rises on tuesday 5th November, so only thursday and monday left as not sitting on friday
    Wise decision to be absent on Nov 5th....
    *muffled cry of "Bugger!" from the basement....*
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited October 2019
    I assume that the broadcasters will leave College Green shortly hopefully leaving shouty 'Brexit Man' distraught
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Cyclefree said:

Am probably a cynical old bat. But wouldn't be surprised to find that we never hear of Boris's deal again, it having served its purpose to set up a "Boris v Parliament" fight.

If he wins he'll just take Britain out & sign up to whatever rubbish deal Trump puts in front of him.

This is ridiculous. Why would he scrap his own deal? If he gets a majority it will be a small one and half the party would rebel if he went No Deal when there was clearly a deal with a majority. He also wouldn't want to have the chaos of No Deal on his record.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    egg said:

Every Eggs a winner baby. 🥳

When the commentators and 3 opposition leaders were saying definitely no election I was piling on there will be.

For my next moment of genius I am betting the lot on Boris not getting a majority.

☃️ he look certain to lose seats to Ld and Snp, but less certain to take Labour to much better losses
    ⛄️ I am anticipating Farage going hard on the deal and adding 4 or 5% on during the election. This isn’t Farage anti brexit this is Farage anti Boris deal.
    ☃️ Need to learn the Lessons of history, Tories on Pb seem to have brainwashed themselves what happened in 2017 was May a bad campaigner launching disastrous manifesto promises without cabinet even briefed. Phooey. I’m calling you out. What happened 2017 was May a bad campaigner launching disastrous manifesto promises without cabinet even briefed + remain knowing how to make best use of their vote + terrorist attacks.

On the current BBC poll average of 36% Tories, 24% Labour and 18% LD, the Tories would pick up 47 Labour seats and lose 11 to the LDs. That is a net Tory gain of 36 seats and with most Scottish polls showing around 8 Tory losses to the SNP at most, still a net Tory gain of 28 seats even including Scotland, enough for a clear Tory majority.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Thank you everyone for the Iceland recommendations (whether geographical or high st). What a nice bunch you are! I feel like I am going to be the last one to visit.

Enjoy it. They are lovely people. And virtually everyone is fluent in English too.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Boris should be a better campaigner than May anyway... Hopefully this time he won't come up with a manifesto that threatens his own voters... That'd help!

Who are his voters though? If it is Brexit supporting former Labour voters. Do you really think tax cuts for the rich at the expense of said Brexit supporting former Labour voters is going to draw them across? All Labour have to do is go on about tory tax cuts for the rich whilst contrasting more spending for the poor....
    The poor will vote Labour anyway, it is the skilled working class and lower middle class Leave voters the Tories need and many of them would quite like some tax cuts
    Labour could offer the same. The Tories can hardly pledge uncosted spending/tax cuts and then attack Labour for the same without creating problems for the Tories...
    No, that just neutralises the issue for the Tories (unlike May's tax rise and spending cuts agenda of 2017 which Labour exploited) while the Tories go on Brexit and squeeze Labour in the middle with the LDs picking up Remainers on the other side
    So what is each parties policy for ending the dementia tax? because remember we go into this election with unfair dementia tax in place.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285
    Layla’s hope for a healing election seems somewhat optimistic
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

I assume that the broadcasters will leave College Green shortly hopefully leaving shouty 'Brexit Man' distraught

Dont be so sure about that. I think he went to at least one of the conferences a few weeks ago. He annoys me and I want Brexit stopped!
  • Options
    egg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Who are his voters though? If it is Brexit supporting former Labour voters. Do you really think tax cuts for the rich at the expense of said Brexit supporting former Labour voters is going to draw them across? All Labour have to do is go on about tory tax cuts for the rich whilst contrasting more spending for the poor....
    The poor will vote Labour anyway, it is the skilled working class and lower middle class Leave voters the Tories need and many of them would quite like some tax cuts
    Labour could offer the same. The Tories can hardly pledge uncosted spending/tax cuts and then attack Labour for the same without creating problems for the Tories...
    No, that just neutralises the issue for the Tories (unlike May's tax rise and spending cuts agenda of 2017 which Labour exploited) while the Tories go on Brexit and squeeze Labour in the middle with the LDs picking up Remainers on the other side
    So what is each parties policy for ending the dementia tax? because remember we go into this election with unfair dementia tax in place.
    Neither party will introduce a dementia tax or go near that suggestion, at most they would offload the issue into a Royal Commission
  • Options
    kjh said:

Thank you everyone for the Iceland recommendations (whether geographical or high st). What a nice bunch you are! I feel like I am going to be the last one to visit.

I loved Rekjavik when I visited it, highly recommend it. Never got to do the Northern Lights myself when we went [went with a newborn in midwinter and only had 3 days there so didn't think it was ideal] would love to do it sometime.

I know you said you're not a fish fan but if you like any seafood other than fish they have an incredible selection and it is so fresh and they know really well how to prepare it. Coincidentally wrote earlier today one of the best meals I ever had was an Icelandic Seafood Soup in Rekjavik - it was like nothing I've ever tried in this country! Don't prejudge their food by what you've had here, give it a try you might find something that really surprises you.

I've never been to Japan but I'd imagine its like the difference between supermarket prepared sushi and trying it in Tokyo, just not the same thing at all!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

lol - I think BJ might have some very shaky weeks in front of him. Dont say you were not warned...
    Don't say you were not warned when Boris is re elected
  • Options

Dont be so sure about that. I think he went to at least one of the conferences a few weeks ago. He annoys me and I want Brexit stopped!
    He will find it hard to be so effective and annoying though
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    IanB2 said:

You sure she said "election"?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

egg said:

When the commentators and 3 opposition leaders were saying definitely no election I was piling on there will be.

For my next moment of genius I am betting the lot on Boris not getting a majority.

☃️ he look certain to lose seats to Ld and Snp, but less certain to take Labour to much better losses
    ⛄️ I am anticipating Farage going hard on the deal and adding 4 or 5% on during the election. This isn’t Farage anti brexit this is Farage anti Boris deal.
    ☃️ Need to learn the Lessons of history, Tories on Pb seem to have brainwashed themselves what happened in 2017 was May a bad campaigner launching disastrous manifesto promises without cabinet even briefed. Phooey. I’m calling you out. What happened 2017 was May a bad campaigner launching disastrous manifesto promises without cabinet even briefed + remain knowing how to make best use of their vote + terrorist attacks.

On the current BBC poll average of 36% Tories, 24% Labour and 18% LD, the Tories would pick up 47 Labour seats and lose 11 to the LDs. That is a net Tory gain of 36 seats and with most Scottish polls showing around 8 Tory losses to the SNP at most, still a net Tory gain of 28 seats even including Scotland, enough for a clear Tory majority.
    But I’m betting against it as I expect
    Polls to change between now and exit poll
    Because parliament v people narrative will change to partypolitics once Parliament is shut
    Brexit party to hurt tories
    And remain voters to be canny with their vote
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

If you've got time, a trip across the south coast to jökulsárlón glacier is fantastic.

Golden Circle, whale watching trips out to sea from Reykjavík are fun. Northern Lights chasing trips are easy to get onto.

Reykjavík is small and very walkable. There is a great coffee shop on Skólavörðustígur, called Mokka, straight off the main street - good waffles.

Thank you. Got Golden Circle, whales and Northern Lights booked although looks like rain. Will check out glacier and coffee shop.

I'm a foodie, but the Icelandic food looks decidedly dodgy particularly as I am not a fish fan. I suspect gulls and puffins also taste of fish.
    DO NOT have their petrified shark. I can still taste it and is in the top three most disgusting things I have ever eaten.
    Not fond of ammonia, then ?
    What were the other two ?

Snake blood and snake bile. If that's two.
  • Options

Layla Moran on Newsnight 100 times better than Tory Swinson

Got you on your knees?
  • Options

I seem to recall lots of journalists there in past elections.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,783
    Cyclefree said:

I don't think that is cynical, I just don't see how that benefits Boris and therefore why he would do it. He had a Boris v Parliament fight on his hands even without actually doing some work and getting a deal, and he torpedoed relations with the DUP to get it, I just don't see that as the actions of a man who wants to just take us out and do whatever Trump says. I've very little time for Boris, but I cannot see why you think he would think that is a good course for him.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

lol - I think BJ might have some very shaky weeks in front of him. Dont say you were not warned...
    Don't say you were not warned when Boris is re elected
    I know he is shit. I would advise anyone to tactically vote against him depending on the seat...
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Gabs2 said:

Cyclefree said:

This is ridiculous. Why would he scrap his own deal? If he gets a majority it will be a small one and half the party would rebel if he went No Deal when there was clearly a deal with a majority. He also wouldn't want to have the chaos of No Deal on his record.
    He'll be in the same situation as he was a few weeks ago.

The ERG and friends who sucked up his deal for fear of losing Brexit will reasonably conclude that a Tory PM with a majority government can't *not* leave the EU. The new intake will be far heavier on people like that than the outgoing one. So maybe half the party would rather leave without a deal. Why would they vote for it?
  • Options
    Hopefully Remain voters surge to Lib Dems and Brexit voters surge to Tories.

Leave the antisemitic racists and Farage's bunch on the sidelines.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    The wishful thinking on view here tonight is a joy to behold
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    Well, at least his principled stand, whilst for nothing, will not see him punished by not being able to stand under the LD banner.

Though if Boris does not get a majority, as I expect, will he immediately resign the whip again as he will back it?

I suppose it depends what he promises he constituents he will do.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

Cyclefree said:

The ERG and friends who sucked up his deal for fear of losing Brexit will reasonably conclude that a Tory PM with a majority government can't *not* leave the EU. The new intake will be far heavier on people like that than the outgoing one. So maybe half the party would rather leave without a deal. Why would they vote for it?
    Virtually all Tory Leave MPs voted for the Boris Deal, they did not for the May Deal and the Boris Deal will be a Tory manifesto commitment
  • Options
    egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

Because parliament v people narrative will change to partypolitics once Parliament is shut
    LD voters despise Corbyn now and will not tactically vote Labour unlike 2017
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285
    HYUFD said:

Gabs2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Virtually all Tory Leave MPs voted for the Boris Deal, they did not for the May Deal and the Boris Deal will be a Tory manifesto commitment
    Yet objectively at best it’s the same, more likely it’s worse.
  • Options
    If you were The Sunday Times and you thought you had an explosive revaluation left about Boris, when would you publish it? Or might Murdoch find a way to spike it now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Neither party will introduce a dementia tax or go near that suggestion, at most they would offload the issue into a Royal Commission
    We are already in a dementia tax situation as tabloids from left to right have frequently reminded us the last two years.
  • Options

The wishful thinking on view here tonight is a joy to behold

"Tonight"?! :)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313
    egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

I think Boris may well be elected but I also think it is fanciful to think that too many Labour leave voters who hate the Tories will all of a sudden no longer hate the Tories as much as to vote for them.

That is where the election will be won or lost.
  • Options
    This election differs from 2017 in some important ways

Boris is a much better campaigner than TM and does seem to be fired up

Corbyn is known and has the worst ratings of any leader going into a GE

Labour will come under fire from not only Boris, but Jo Swinson who will go full on about his labour mps voting for Brexit

Labour have a muddled Brexit offer, v Boris deal and Jo's revoke

It is in the heart of the xmas period with unwelcoming doors to canvassers

It will be fascinating to watch
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    IanB2 said:

Yep, total nonsense on her part. Revoke or a 2nd referendum will be horrible, and a deal isn't going to stop the arguing either. Even if Boris got a majority and pushed his deal over the line, the arguing will simply move on to the FTA negotiations. We have got years of divisive Brexit politics to look forward to no matter what happens.

I expect politics in the UK to go from bad to worse.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

If you asked me to predict today, I’d guess Con 305, Lab 227 SNP 50 Lib Dems 40 Plaid Cymru 5 Brexit 4 Green 1 NI 18.

But I wouldn’t bet 20p on that.

Were there a particular 4 seats you were thinking the Brexit Party might win Alastair ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:
    Well, at least his principled stand, whilst for nothing, will not see him punished by not being able to stand under the LD banner.

Though if Boris does not get a majority, as I expect, will he immediately resign the whip again as he will back it?

I suppose it depends what he promises he constituents he will do.
    Boris will likely get his majority and Lloyd might even lose his seat now to the Tories
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Byronic said:

rpjs said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

I suspect that hákarl, like lutefisk in Norway and surströmming in Sweden, is something the locals don’t ever actually eat, except perhaps when very drunk.
    They do eat it. They actually like it.

Relatedly I was v recently in the Deep South, for the first time. The food in New Orrrrrrleans was incroyable

The food in Mississippi was less good, though nice. And then there was: grits. UGH
    Get yourself to Charleston South Carolina. Wonderful food.
  • Options
    glw said:

IanB2 said:

Yep, total nonsense on her part. Revoke or a 2nd referendum will be horrible, and a deal isn't going to stop the arguing either. Even if Boris got a majority and pushed his deal over the line, the arguing will simply move on to the FTA negotiations. We have got years of divisive Brexit politics to look forward to no matter what happens.

Everyone will also probably appeal for unity, on an issue where there are diametrically opposed options. It's expected, but will clearly be cliched bollocks.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    Cyclefree said:

I really don't think so. We'll know soon enough when we see the Tory manifesto. If he goes for No Deal to neutralise Farage then you're right. But there is no point in him promoting his deal for the election only to reverse after the election. There is no benefit for him.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    glw said:

Finally someone makes a reasonable prediction.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

I don't think that is cynical, I just don't see how that benefits Boris and therefore why he would do it. He had a Boris v Parliament fight on his hands even without actually doing some work and getting a deal, and he torpedoed relations with the DUP to get it, I just don't see that as the actions of a man who wants to just take us out and do whatever Trump says. I've very little time for Boris, but I cannot see why you think he would think that is a good course for him.
    The interesting thing about the DUP is their opponents in sinn fein recieved a bequest recently from an Englishman that totaled£1.5 million IIRC. That might be a problem for the DUP in some NI seats where SF are close on the heals of DUP. I accept the sectarian divide means switches from DUP to SF are very few but elections are all about turning out your core and given some voters a reason to lend their support. With over £1 million to spend SF might eat into DUP.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Mango said:

HYUFD said:

To fund the NHS and that massive infrastructure programme, as has been Tory policy for the last 40 years?

Don't use the word "Laffer" in response.
    Tory fiscal policy is a laugh; Corbyn’s is Laffer ?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Ah my 43rd birthday... oh to be young again!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

If I was so convinced by you there wouldn’t be any point betting against you then would it

🤣 🤣 🤣

But I suspect people you are counting as despising corbyn because polls in recent months say they are voting libdem might not be as hardcore libdem as you claim.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,679
    edited October 2019

If you were The Sunday Times and you thought you had an explosive revaluation left about Boris, when would you publish it? Or might Murdoch find a way to spike it now.

I think that being a cad is baked into the BoZo vote, 40% of the population simply do not care of his low moral character. It is like anti-semitism and the IRA for Jezza. Anyone who cares about these things made their minds up ages ago.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Not fond of ammonia, then ?
    What were the other two ?

Snake blood and snake bile. If that's two.
    That’s a useful warning... in the unlikely event of anyone being tempted.

• Options
    egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

We are already in a dementia tax situation as tabloids from left to right have frequently reminded us the last two years.
    Not now for at home care
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

If I was so convinced by you there wouldn’t be any point betting against you then would it

🤣 🤣 🤣

But I suspect people you are counting as despising corbyn because polls in recent months say they are voting libdem might not be as hardcore libdem as you claim.
    They are hardcore Remainers and as far as they are now concerned Corbyn is not.

The difference between Thatcher's 42% 1983 and 1987 landslides and May's 42% 2017 hung parliament was entirely down to a split Labour and LD vote in the former and a largely united Labour vote in the latter.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,679
    Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

I really don't think so. We'll know soon enough when we see the Tory manifesto. If he goes for No Deal to neutralise Farage then you're right. But there is no point in him promoting his deal for the election only to reverse after the election. There is no benefit for him.
    He promised in parliament to back his "great deal".

Of course, he could be lying.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2019
    Foxy said:

I think that being a cad is baked into the BoZo vote, 40% of the population simply do not care of his low moral character. It is like anti-semitism and the IRA for Jezza. Anyone who cares about these things made their minds up ages ago.
    40%?

I imagine 99% of the population simply do not care of his allegedly low moral character.

Passionate Remainers/left wingers hate Boris because he is a Tory/Leaver, they don't give a damn about character.

Tories/Leavers largely back him, they don't give a damn about character.

This is 2019. Our voters aren't puritans and don't expect our politicians to be either, we expect them to agree with us and damn those who don't.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

The interesting thing about the DUP is their opponents in sinn fein recieved a bequest recently from an Englishman that totaled£1.5 million IIRC. That might be a problem for the DUP in some NI seats where SF are close on the heals of DUP. I accept the sectarian divide means switches from DUP to SF are very few but elections are all about turning out your core and given some voters a reason to lend their support. With over £1 million to spend SF might eat into DUP.
    Yes, but the DUP have just spent the last 2.5 years pumping the treasury for cash in return for their support...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Hopefully Remain voters surge to Lib Dems and Brexit voters surge to Tories.

Leave the antisemitic racists and Farage's bunch on the sidelines.

Works for me
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

We have been in dementia tax situation for decades. The phrase was originally coined by the Alzheimers Society in the days of Tony Blair.

It has been an injustice in the care system for much, much longer than two years.

That tells you all you need to know. Successive Governments of different political persuasions have adroitly brushed it under the carpet for many years.

Theresa May in her cack-handed manner has ensured that the carpet-brushing will continue for a long time yet,
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Floater said:
    Centrists seem to assume that anyone who's a loser must also be a grown-up. See: Theresa May
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

🤣 🤣 🤣

They are hardcore Remainers and as far as they are now concerned Corbyn is not
    Corbyn might not be but a Labour MP seeking re-election might be remain enough to get voters to lend their vote to them to keep brexiteer tories out! :smiley:
  • Options

Foxy said:

40%?

I imagine 99% of the population simply do not care of his allegedly low moral character.

Passionate Remainers/left wingers hate Boris because he is a Tory/Leaver, they don't give a damn about character.

This is 2019. Our voters aren't puritans and don't expect our politicians to be either, we expect them to agree with us and damn those who don't.

I am clearly in the 1%. I do not expect my political leaders to be self-centred, mendacious, lazy, chancers or nostalgic, anti-Semites, stuck in a self-congratulatory, intolerant bubble.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

Foxy said:

40%?

I expect even politicians I dislike to not have been fired twice for lying
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,638

kjh said:

I loved Rekjavik when I visited it, highly recommend it. Never got to do the Northern Lights myself when we went [went with a newborn in midwinter and only had 3 days there so didn't think it was ideal] would love to do it sometime.

I know you said you're not a fish fan but if you like any seafood other than fish they have an incredible selection and it is so fresh and they know really well how to prepare it. Coincidentally wrote earlier today one of the best meals I ever had was an Icelandic Seafood Soup in Rekjavik - it was like nothing I've ever tried in this country! Don't prejudge their food by what you've had here, give it a try you might find something that really surprises you.

I've never been to Japan but I'd imagine its like the difference between supermarket prepared sushi and trying it in Tokyo, just not the same thing at all!
    Thank you. I do like lobster, crab, scallops, etc and I like fish that doesn't taste of fish eg rubbish like fish and chips or fish fingers. I love the look of fish and wish I liked it but there is a distinctive flavour that I don't like. I tried shark and swordfish because I was told it was like meat. The texture was but it still tasted of fish. Monkfish surprised me, bit like lobster so loved it. Looks like I might give it another go then. My wife always laughs when I say I don't like fish, because there are so many exceptions.
  • Options

Floater said:
    Centrists seem to assume that anyone who's a loser must also be a grown-up. See: Theresa May
    Also see P Hammond.
  • Options
    eek said:

Foxy said:

40%?

Yet its only those who dislike his politics that go on about it. Funny that!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

🤣 🤣 🤣

Corbyn might not be but a Labour MP seeking re-election might be remain enough to get voters to lend their vote to them to keep brexiteer tories out! :smiley:
    Exactly.
  • Options

Foxy said:

40%?

I am clearly in the 1%. I do not expect my political leaders to be self-centred, mendacious, lazy, chancers or nostalgic, anti-Semites, stuck in a self-congratulatory, intolerant bubble.

But enough about Corbyn . . .
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited October 2019

eek said:

Foxy said:

40%?

What are Johnson's politics, beyond being pro-Johnson and vaguely racist?

• Options

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, but the DUP have just spent the last 2.5 years pumping the treasury for cash in return for their support...
    Indeed. I heard Foster going on about it in her leaders speech the other day. The problem for the DUP is Brexit may have caused a division between business/farmers and the DUP, which means less cash for the election machine. The DUP might be alright but SF will unfortunately be contesting the election at a less financial disadvantage.
  • Options

egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

We have been in dementia tax situation for decades. The phrase was originally coined by the Alzheimers Society in the days of Tony Blair.

It has been an injustice in the care system for much, much longer than two years.

That tells you all you need to know. Successive Governments of different political persuasions have adroitly brushed it under the carpet for many years.

Theresa May in her cack-handed manner has ensured that the carpet-brushing will continue for a long time yet,
    Or maybe not. Maybe more focus because of what happened last time. And with that media will smell blood if policy that does something about such injustice doesn’t stand up.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. I heard Foster going on about it in her leaders speech the other day. The problem for the DUP is Brexit may have caused a division between business/farmers and the DUP, which means less cash for the election machine. The DUP might be alright but SF will unfortunately be contesting the election at a less financial disadvantage.
    The DUP are more at risk of losing seats to the Alliance than SF anyway
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2019
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Thank you. I do like lobster, crab, scallops, etc and I like fish that doesn't taste of fish eg rubbish like fish and chips or fish fingers. I love the look of fish and wish I liked it but there is a distinctive flavour that I don't like. I tried shark and swordfish because I was told it was like meat. The texture was but it still tasted of fish. Monkfish surprised me, bit like lobster so loved it. Looks like I might give it another go then. My wife always laughs when I say I don't like fish, because there are so many exceptions.
    'Fish that tastes like fish' is not good seafood. I don't like that either.

I draw a distinction between fish and seafood. Prawns, lobster, calamari, scallops etc can be some of the best food - but it has to be prepared well! Calamari is easy to cook badly and it just tastes like rubber for example but done well is another matter. Being islanders the Icelanders know how to prepare their seafood, never found anywhere that good in this country.
  • Options
    egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

🤣 🤣 🤣

Exactly.
    Yep. Corbyn himself may struggle to be as effective as last time, but the situation will pick up the slack for him, aided by local candidates being unequivocal regardless of the official position.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

🤣 🤣 🤣

Exactly.
    It was Labour MPs votes which helped the WA pass (even if they did want to add a CU that is still Brexit for diehard Remainers and they will not forget nor forgive it)
  • Options
    LOL So the LibDems & the SNP, having started the election ball rolling, abstained and let Corbyn less 100 of his MPs finish the job. Try explaining that to anyone who's missed a twist in the story.
  • Options

eek said:

Foxy said:

40%?

If that were true, he wouldn't have got elected to be Mayor of London. He certainly wouldn't have got re-elected.

Unless you are saying that they are a very forgiving majority in London? Perhaps. They seem to be very forgiving of anti-semite Jeremy Corbyn.....
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

If you asked me to predict today, I’d guess Con 305, Lab 227 SNP 50 Lib Dems 40 Plaid Cymru 5 Brexit 4 Green 1 NI 18.

But I wouldn’t bet 20p on that.

Alright. I will bet you 19p that the Tories get more seats AND the Brexit Party fewer than that.
  • Options

LOL So the LibDems & the SNP, having started the election ball rolling, abstained and let Corbyn less 100 of his MPs finish the job. Try explaining that to anyone who's missed a twist in the story.

They needed to pretend there was a deep reason they backed 9th rather than 12th.
  • Options

eek said:

Foxy said:

40%?

He's a socially liberal, economically dry Conservative. Very similar to David Cameron.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

🤣 🤣 🤣

Exactly.
    It was Labour MPs votes which helped the WA pass (even if they did want to add a CU that is still Brexit for diehard Remainers and they will not forget nor forgive it)
    😁. A small number, defying a whip, for a meaningless second reading.

Carry on trying till you land a proper punch
  • Options
    kle4 said:

They needed to pretend there was a deep reason they backed 9th rather than 12th.
    Yeah, although I'm struggling to see why Labour voted today for something they voted against yesterday. The whole shebang is hilarious.
  • Options

eek said:

Foxy said:

40%?

He's a socially liberal, economically dry Conservative. Very similar to David Cameron.

Economically dry!!!??? He spends taxpayers' money like it is confetti on self-serving and vanity projects, and when he needs to win votes.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Boris just has to, HAS TO, put £350m a week for the NHS when we leave into the Tory manifesto.
  • Options

eek said:

Foxy said:

40%?

Economically dry!!!??? He spends taxpayers' money like it is confetti on self-serving and vanity projects, and when he needs to win votes.

So he's a wet?

What's not to like then for you as far as Tories go? ;)
  • Options

eek said:

Foxy said:

40%?

Absolutely. Borne out by his policies like spending promises he can’t keep and Cameron type moderates dominating his cabinet.
  • Options

eek said:

Foxy said:

40%?

It ended well with David Cameron...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Apologies if I am missing something as work means I have not been spending as much time on PB as I would like but is evens on a Conservative majority not a spectacular price given current polling?

Of course polling can can change as it did in 2017 but right now that looks like a steal.
  • Options

eek said:

Foxy said:

40%?

If that were true, he wouldn't have got elected to be Mayor of London. He certainly wouldn't have got re-elected.

Unless you are saying that they are a very forgiving majority in London? Perhaps. They seem to be very forgiving of anti-semite Jeremy Corbyn.....

Johnson's racism sits behind a wall of irony and is far less overt than the anti-Semitism of both Ken Livingstone and Jeremy Corbyn. But you only have to read his journalism to know that he regards certain types of dark-skinned people as being inferior.

• Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

You're about to engage the logic-free zone. Step away while you can...
  • Options
    How did I miss the tweet of Trump declassifying the dog involved in the Baghdadi raid? Goddamn, for such a terrible person he can still get great laughs, unintentionally.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    egg said:

Or maybe not. Maybe more focus because of what happened last time. And with that media will smell blood if policy that does something about such injustice doesn’t stand up.

What's the LibDem policy, what's Labour's policy? Whatever, Boris will match it.

Boris is desperate to win the election. He will promise whatever he has to. Same with the Remainers, they will promise willy-nilly.

All the promises (Tory, Labour or LibDem) won't be worth anything, because no-one will be interested in how much something costs, and how the money will actually be raised.

The Labour Party, the Liberal Democrats and the Tories have all been in power while this injustice has been taking place. If they actually wanted to do something -- rather than grandstand -- they could have.

I think it may even be that the Labour Party created this injustice, as it stems from health-care reforms under Blair. Not 100 per cent sure, but I'd be intrigued to know.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Owen Who has a majority of 11,000 in Pontypridd... If Labour MPs with majorities of 10,000+ are thinking their seats are gone then a political earthquake could be on the way...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontypridd_(UK_Parliament_constituency

• Options
    isam said:

Boris just has to, HAS TO, put £350m a week for the NHS when we leave into the Tory manifesto.

Easy. Our entire net annual payment to EU was only 0.6 % GDP. Less than we give Northern Ireland. EU annual expenditure each year is less than UK gives NHS.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Owen Who has a majority of 11,000 in Pontypridd... If Labour MPs with majorities of 10,000+ are thinking their seats are gone then a political earthquake could be on the way...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontypridd_(UK_Parliament_constituency

My guess is that he is standing down because he does not want to campaign to put a pro-Brexit, anti-Semite into 10 Downing Street.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,638

kjh said:

kjh said:

'Fish that tastes like fish' is not good seafood. I don't like that either.

I draw a distinction between fish and seafood. Prawns, lobster, calamari, scallops etc can be some of the best food - but it has to be prepared well! Calamari is easy to cook badly and it just tastes like rubber for example but done well is another matter. Being islanders the Icelanders know how to prepare their seafood, never found anywhere that good in this country.
    I'm sold I'll give it a go (not the fermented shark though). The time I enjoyed the monkfish was in a Michelin Star restaurant so what you are saying does sound convincing. I might just be converted.
This discussion has been closed.