Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As Johnson edges towards to the 11pm Brexit deadline the betti

Comments

• NooNoo Posts: 2,380

Noo said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

To be picky, it’s the Irish Sea.

Pedant.
    We love our pedantry here, but I'm not sure that counts as a pedantic detail!
    Actually, the stretch of water between N. Ireland and the mainland is the North Channel. The Irish Sea is further south....
    Sruth na Maoile
    "That which we call a rose, would, by any other name....." ;)
    Ernie Terrell found out when he fought Muhammad Ali that, just occasionally, names really do matter :)
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    EPG said:

Did England win the war against Spain already?

Fearful of the inevitable British victory, it would appear the Spanish legions have been pulled back from their Gibraltar campaign.

Noo said:

Danny565 said:

Arlene is not for turning:

twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1184167034868895745

I have no position on Northern Ireland's place in the UK/Ireland. I've never been there and I have precisely zero fucks to give about whether it stays or goes. But. Every time I see DUP folk speak I can't help but to root a little for Sinn Fein. I mean, I know there are good people in other unionist parties. Hell, there might even be some humans in the DUP itself. But gods what a dreadful sack of anuses the DUP are.
    I grew up in Northern Ireland and happen to be here at the moment [Disclaimer: It is pure chance that @HYUFD is here and I am certain is nowhere near me :) ]

The DUP are, IMO, crazed. They also seem to be losing support.
    That's good. I pray for the day we can put extremist parties like the DUP, Sinn Fein and the Conservatives behind us.
  • Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

There is plenty of blame to go around and the Spartans have more than their share of it.

If Boris has delivered real movement on the deal then the Spartans deserve credit for not settling months ago.
    That's bonkers. This is far worse than TMay's deal last spring.
    Define "worse".

If you mean its less BINO than May's deal then I agree, and I see why a Lib Dem such as yourself may not be happy with such movement but that's exactly what the Spartans wanted and it looks like Boris could have achieved.
    Well, we don't know the full details yet. But it seems from the tea leaves that Northern Ireland is becoming less a part of the UK and more a part of the EU than under Mrs May's deal, but that is balanced by the WA containing provisions for the Northern Irish to remove themselves from the (don't call it a) backstop.

I applaud the latter, but feel it could have been achieved with the existing May WA.

The irony out of all of this is that Northern Ireland would probably have (eventually) left the backstop under May's proposals. But I suspect never will under Johnson's.
    That isn't right. Northern Ireland is more out of the EU than it would be in May's deal, as they will not be legally part of the customs union. It is just GB will be out further still.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    scapa said:

I wonder how many of of the 17.4m voted in support of a carving up of the UK?

And if they didn't, whither now the "will of the people"?

They clearly either didn’t care or didn’t give it enough thought . What I always found bizarre is this Global Britain guff .

Sturgeon knows this is her best chance to get independence and who can blame her . I think she should push for EEA as an insurance policy in case the EU is more difficult due to other countries concerns about setting a precedent .

I wonder how Leavers might view their place in the world and the standing of the country.

If the UK is no more it’s going to be rather humbling IMO.

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,547

Danny565 said:
    We will see. How many billion would you like Arlene?
    The DUP is not going to kick off its election campaign by putting a border in the Irish Sea.
  • chloechloe Posts: 308
    Any news on concessions Boris has won?
    He's right on both counts, and it will keep the rebels down to a handful as before. The others can say the Boris deal is too hard, or that he was mean to MPs, or cannot be trusted, each with varying degrees of reasonableness, as to why they totally would do it but won't.
    scapa said:

There is no carving up of the UK. Northern Ireland will leave the EU with the rest of the UK and benefit from UK trade deals with the rest of the world, with exactly the same tariff reductions as Birmingham.
    chloe said:

The concession would be they agree something now, rather than shunt it until after he is supposed to request an extension.
  • Noo said:

Danny565 said:

I have no position on Northern Ireland's place in the UK/Ireland. I've never been there and I have precisely zero fucks to give about whether it stays or goes. But. Every time I see DUP folk speak I can't help but to root a little for Sinn Fein. I mean, I know there are good people in other unionist parties. Hell, there might even be some humans in the DUP itself. But gods what a dreadful sack of anuses the DUP are.
    I grew up in Northern Ireland and happen to be here at the moment [Disclaimer: It is pure chance that @HYUFD is here and I am certain is nowhere near me :) ]

NI voted to Remain by 56% to 44%.
    Well, the one difference this time is they won't be able to complain that Boris's proposals are because he is not a real leaver and does not believe in Leave enough, as was the case with May. They'll probably say he's gone native or something.
    Parts of ERG showing, once again, that they can't bear the thought of the UK leaving the EU.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    Noo said:

Danny565 said:
    I mean most politicians are particularly ugly, strange looking people...very few exceptions..Zak Goldsmith, aside...but fuck me the DUP are an odd looking lot....
    kle4 said:

Well, the one difference this time is they won't be able to complain that Boris's proposals are because he is not a real leaver and does not believe in Leave enough, as was the case with May. They'll probably say he's gone native or something.
    Call them in. Tell them they are losing the Whip, and a Leaver will be selected for their constituency by the weekend and they will never stand for the Tory party again.
    chloe said:

He has to move out, but he can keep the dog.
    TGOHF2 said:
    'could unravel' is underselling the potential, given the very obvious example we have of a government agreement on legal text not meaning jack! But nevermind, let's await the detail - we can then judge how reactive some of the rejections are, and how many are stock.
    GE looking more likely I would say tonight if ERG stories are correct.
  • The UK caving in trade talks is something we are all going to have to get used to.
  • Should I stay up or just turn in...

Laura K says turn in. No news tonight apparently.
    Ta. Will do. Will Paterson, ids et Al be thrown out too if they don't vote for the deal... If there is one.

Hope so.
    tyson said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:
    I mean most politicians are particularly ugly, strange looking people...very few exceptions..Zak Goldsmith, aside...but fuck me the DUP are an odd looking lot....
    I prefer to judge people on the contents of their hearts than on the thickness of their eyebrow :smirk:
    Noo said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:

That's good. I pray for the day we can put extremist parties like the DUP, Sinn Fein and the Conservatives behind us.
    As a British Jew, the only extremists that seriously worry me are the BNP and Labour.

kle4 said:

Call them in. Tell them they are losing the Whip, and a Leaver will be selected for their constituency by the weekend and they will never stand for the Tory party again.
    I don't think he's got the guts for that. The holdouts will be similar in number or even fewer than the one's he did kick out, but the former represent a much larger strand of the membership and BXP they can jump to if they want, sinking his hopes of a majority.

Replacing them with 'a leaver' as you suggest does rather show that many of them are indeed remainers in practice, if not in intent.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725
    edited October 2019
    Gabs2 said:

scapa said:

There is no carving up of the UK. Northern Ireland will leave the EU with the rest of the UK and benefit from UK trade deals with the rest of the world, with exactly the same tariff reductions as Birmingham.
    Border posts in the Bull Ring?? or the river Tame
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

kle4 said:

They'll defect to the Brexit Party. Leave EU to the Tories' Vote Leave.
  • TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584

Parts of ERG showing, once again, that they can't bear the thought of the UK leaving the EU.

Seems to only be coming from remainer Tom N-D.

I’d keep the knee unharmed for now.
  • TGOHF2 said:

I'd love it love it love it...

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1184222315267215362?s=19
  • rcs1000 said:

Sterling continuing to rise. Goldmans telling traders to cover their sterling shorts.

As a Goldman Sachs alum, I think what you meant to say was "Goldman Sachs FX Strategist xxx advises clients and traders to close sterling shorts."

There will be hundreds of traders at Goldman with sterling positions - some will be long, some will be short. Management doesn't tell traders what positions they run*.

* With some exceptions.
    More short than long across the market.

I am in that world too.
    kle4 said:

He's right on both counts, and it will keep the rebels down to a handful as before. The others can say the Boris deal is too hard, or that he was mean to MPs, or cannot be trusted, each with varying degrees of reasonableness, as to why they totally would do it but won't.
    Corbyn gets something right. The maximum danger for Labour comes if their MPs tip the balance in parliament towards Boris.
  • nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

TGOHF2 said:

This place is gonna be like a wake come the weekend.

A wake for the woke.
    Everyone bring their own humble pie to the wake, just in case.
    Maybe she will reprise her "nasty party" speech. God knows she has enough material to work with.
    I remember William Glenn making this joke

"Some people call us the Nazi party".

kle4 said:

They'll defect to the Brexit Party. Leave EU to the Tories' Vote Leave.
    Hence my saying select a leaver for their old constituency. Less chance of a Brexit win.
  • nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    For the love if all that is good please let their be a time limit on the back stop, and let everyone just accept it.

• Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited October 2019
    nunuone said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

TGOHF2 said:

This place is gonna be like a wake come the weekend.

A wake for the woke.
    Everyone bring their own humble pie to the wake, just in case.
    Maybe she will reprise her "nasty party" speech. God knows she has enough material to work with.
    I remember William Glenn making this joke

"Some people call us the Nazi party".
    WIth Cumming's approach to things, I feel like it is starting to become true.
    TGOHF2 said:

LOL The Sun is far too remainy
    nunuone said:

For the love if all that is good please let their be a time limit on the back stop, and let everyone just accept it.

I don't accept it
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082
    Arlene said no

Did Jester stop

How many Kids has he got already
  • OK, who will be the last man holding out, Gino Francois or Owen Paterson?

Couple of nice safe seats up for grabs, there. Boris tried to get selected for Rayleigh back in the day, but Francois won the nomination...
    tyson said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:
    Oh and like you--I have no views on Northern Ireland--it already is one of the most heavily subsidised parts of the world per capita perhaps, and populated by the odd bigot or two, and you really wouldn't want to go there on holiday, or unless you had to (ie your plane got hijacked and diverted there)- the fact that Hyfud lives there hardly endears one more....

I don't like Rory particularly, or Barry McGuigan or the accent, the weather is worst than here...I don't think it proffers any culinary delights....it hasn't got any particularly innovative music or literary scene aside from sectarian ditties....in fact anything remotely likeable appears to be associated with south of the border rather than the 5 miserable counties....

OK, who will be the last man holding out, Gino Francois or Owen Paterson?

Couple of nice safe seats up for grabs, there. Boris tried to get selected for Rayleigh back in the day, but Francois won the nomination...

Bye, bye ERG nutters.

The UK caving in trade talks is something we are all going to have to get used to.

:D:D:+1:
    felix said:
    I will be lighting mine on Nov 5th

Grandkids charged with making a Guy

Note to self don't forget to buy a Boris mask
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:
    Oh and like you--I have no views on Northern Ireland--it already is one of the most heavily subsidised parts of the world per capita perhaps, and populated by the odd bigot or two, and you really wouldn't want to go there on holiday, or unless you had to (ie your plane got hijacked and diverted there)- the fact that Hyfud lives there hardly endears one more....

I don't like Rory particularly, or Barry McGuigan or the accent, the weather is worst than here...I don't think it proffers any culinary delights....it hasn't got any particularly innovative music or literary scene aside from sectarian ditties....in fact anything remotely likeable appears to be associated with south of the border rather than the 5 miserable counties....
    How amazing. Almost everything in that post is inaccurate or wrong.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    Let's face it, if anybody asks the PM for ID to prove who he is, then they really are in the wrong job.....
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:

van Morrisson, the Undertones, Ash, Snow Patrol?
    Foxy said:
    I am surprised that Warren is the best the Dem's can put forward after Hillary last time....but she is the best undoubtedly out of this field- and she'll pick Castro as her VEEP.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    GIN1138 said:
    The opposition has had yonks to VONC the Gov't. The fact they haven't done so and might have allowed the Gov't to do a deal will be their own bloody fault.
    GIN1138 said:
    How are we supposed to be able to differentiate his bonfires of rage and grief from our bonfires of joy when we leave?

Typical remainer: he's just not thought this through.....
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    edited October 2019
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:

I don't live in Northern Ireland, I live in Essex and am just on holiday there but despite your extremely rude dismissal of the entire province there are some excellent restaurants, great castles and historic houses and spectacular scenery and natural wonders, including Giant's Causeway which I am visiting tomorrow.

Plus, say what you like about the DUP but they do have a backbone
    The catch is, Boris Johnson is always doing something wrong..
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    edited October 2019
    Don't know about Paterson but hasn't IDS accepted he'll lose his seat to Labour at the next election whatever happens?

Although I'd imagine he'd quite like a seat in HOL which might be under threat (at least for a few years) if he rocks the boat too much.

Let's face it, if anybody asks the PM for ID to prove who he is, then they really are in the wrong job.....
    Mate..I think you kinda miss the point on that one
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:
    The opposition has had yonks to VONC the Gov't. The fact they haven't done so and might have allowed the Gov't to do a deal will be their own bloody fault.
    Lets hope the Deal gets through I fear it might narrowly fail.

Hope i am wrong
  • Noo said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:

If you were to add Labour, the Lib Dems and Greens to that list you would have my full agreement.
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:

I don't live in Northern Ireland, I live in Essex just on holiday there but despite your extremely rude dismissal of the entire province there are some excellent restaurants, great castles and historic houses and spectacular scenery and natural wonders, including Giant's Causeway which I am visiting tomorrow.

And exoskeletons
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:

I don't live in Northern Ireland, I live in Essex just on holiday there but despite your extremely rude dismissal of the entire province there are some excellent restaurants, great castles and historic houses and spectacular scenery and natural wonders, including Giant's Causeway which I am visiting tomorrow.

They're proof you can have too much backbone.

Noo said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:

If you were to add Labour, the Lib Dems and Greens to that list you would have my full agreement.
    That's ok, I don't need your agreement.
    GIN1138 said:

Don't know about Patteron but hasn't IDS accepted he'll lose his seat to Labout at the next election whatever happens?

Although I'd imagine he'd quite like a seat in HOL which might be under threat (at least for a few years) if he rocks the boat too much.
    The ERG members won't want to leave a party shorn of the Europhiles. They will want their moment of nur-nur na nur-nur....
    edited October 2019
    Perhaps that 'influential Conservative MP' would like to consider what would happen if IDS and Owen Paterson had the whip removed and defected to the Brexit Party and half the Tory core vote and membership followed them?
    Noo said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:

van Morrisson, the Undertones, Ash, Snow Patrol?

Fair point.....and Belfast routinely comes off as the happiest city in the UK....

I don't want a united Ireland by the way....I just don't particularly care for the DUP's politics which is part statist Jeremy Corbyn, and part authoritarian Priti Patel
    edited October 2019
    I don't quite buy that a deal will pass the Commons even if presented, but in fairness some headlines are of the 'please please please don't let there be a deal' variety, focusing on the 'ending this requires that we remain as leave means more negotiations' hypothesis, and while I think remain, on balance, will be better in the longterm, it's just silly to think that will get this done any better than any deal will, in terms of ongoing drama.
    https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1184206476228923392
    TGOHF2 said:

Perhaps its a Tom_ND fake account
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:

I don't live in Northern Ireland, I live in Essex and am just on holiday there but despite your extremely rude dismissal of the entire province there are some excellent restaurants, great castles and historic houses and spectacular scenery and natural wonders, including Giant's Causeway which I am visiting tomorrow.

I suppose it's cheap for holidays....like most Brexit destinations such as Yarmouth and Blackpool....

• ChrisChris Posts: 11,010
    HYUFD said:

Perhaps that 'influential Conservative MP' would like to consider what would happen if IDS and Owen Paterson had the whip removed and defected to the Brexit Party and half the Tory core vote and membership followed them?
    Just looking in.

You've shifted your focus from a British nuclear attack on Madrid, apparently. Thank heaven for small mercies ....
  • TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584

TGOHF2 said:

_twat perhaps ?

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1184228907790274561?s=21
  • GIN1138 said:

Don't know about Paterson but hasn't IDS accepted he'll lose his seat to Labour at the next election whatever happens?

Well, he's managed to turn a safe seat into a marginal (yes, yes, demographic changes etc). He'll moan but capitulate, I guess. BIll Cash, too - I assume the HoL beckons.

Owen Paterson on the other hand, is a frothing idiot, as is Little Lt.Francois.
  • tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:

I suppose it's cheap for holidays....like most Brexit destinations such as Yarmouth and Blackpool....

Er, NI voted to Remain by 56% to 44%.
  • Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Just looking in.

You've shifted your focus from a British nuclear attack on Madrid, apparently. Thank heaven for small mercies ....
    I'm relieved because I'm in Madrid for a 4 day city break from Thursday. I'd not be happy to die at the sharp end of our nuclear deterrent.
    nico67 said:

there's always been a border in the Irish sea. The clue is in the name. Legal borders are a different matter of course. I've said it before and I'll say it again. What were unionists doing in voting to leave? If they wanted to re-impose a border in Ireland then it would have at least made sense. Their leaders should hang their heads in shame.

The hard border is what they wanted and it’s backfired because now whatever deal they agree to will be trashed by the UUP .

And any sort of border would see calls for a border poll within the next few years . A majority in NI support the backstop. In polls a majority of unionists wanted a softer Brexit.

The DUP do not speak for NI and are ignoring the majority . They have played and lost and deserve everything coming to them.
    77% of Northern Irish Unionists prefer No Deal to the backstop.

The DUP speak for their core vote

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/09/my-northern-ireland-survey-finds-the-union-on-a-knife-edge/
    GIN1138 said:

On current polling IDS will increase his majority in Chingford at the next general election
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010
    edited October 2019
    TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

_twat perhaps ?

If Iain Duncan Smith had really exploded, probably the pound would have jumped by 3% against the dollar rather than 1.2%.

We could do with some good news.
  • HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

there's always been a border in the Irish sea. The clue is in the name. Legal borders are a different matter of course. I've said it before and I'll say it again. What were unionists doing in voting to leave? If they wanted to re-impose a border in Ireland then it would have at least made sense. Their leaders should hang their heads in shame.

The hard border is what they wanted and it’s backfired because now whatever deal they agree to will be trashed by the UUP .

And any sort of border would see calls for a border poll within the next few years . A majority in NI support the backstop. In polls a majority of unionists wanted a softer Brexit.

The DUP do not speak for NI and are ignoring the majority . They have played and lost and deserve everything coming to them.

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/09/my-northern-ireland-survey-finds-the-union-on-a-knife-edge/
  • HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

On current polling IDS will increase his majority in Chingford at the next general election
    Try not to post whilst drunk, HYUFD :lol:
    TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

_twat perhaps ?

What the heck were they talking about then?!
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Worth remembering that there are LOTS of people who have a vested interest in Brexit continuing as a clusterfuck. They’re not necessarily Remain or Leave, they just depend on Brexit to be an unhealed wound.

Amongst this crowd are unexpectedly influential Irish journalists, all Lib Dems, several notable Tweeters, a smattering of legal experts (hello David Allen Green), Ms Gina Miller, a cabal of bloggers, Ireland in Europe, loads of Scot Nats, probably Jolyon Maugham QC, others.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:

Because our money will not be welcome in Spain, Italy, France or Greece lol

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Most DUP seats voted to Leave
    Byronic said:

several notable Tweeters

God you're such a fucking bore.
    TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

_twat perhaps ?

_twat is taken by the deputy leader of Lab. I think
    Noo said:

Byronic said:

several notable Tweeters

I mean, of the most soul-crushing and blood-numbing variety. A bore of ages. A bore that could pull the planets down. It must be like a living death even being you.
  • HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:

Yep, it’s a fantastic place. Everyone in GB should visit. I was last there in April. Carry on enjoying it.

• rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited October 2019
    kle4 said:

TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

_twat perhaps ?

What the heck were they talking about then?!
    Being told that if they don’t vote for the deal, whatever it is, they’ll be stripped of the Tory whip and expelled from the party, which means they won’t be able to run as Tory candidates in the GE that will be fast on the heels of their vote.

It might work.
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    edited October 2019
    Noo said:

Byronic said:

several notable Tweeters

Your angst is a reliable indicator that I am right.

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:

Yep, it’s a fantastic place. Everyone in GB should visit. I was last there in April. Carry on enjoying it.

Yes it is, so to be fair is the Republic after having visited Sligo and Donegal today
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Gabs2 said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:

As a British Jew, the only extremists that seriously worry me are the BNP and Labour.
    You should be far more worried about Labour - far larger institution.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:

Agreed. NI is beautiful and most of its people are lovely.
This discussion has been closed.