Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As Johnson edges towards to the 11pm Brexit deadline the betti

Comments

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

So Boris is going to have a deal which will involve the EU having moved quite significantly (and him as well of course) to bring to the Commons on Saturday. Will the fanatics who hold the majority in Parliament really have the balls to reject a second deal from the EU? It's possible but the pressure this time is immense.

Boris has achieved what May didn't, a sense of momentum and a genuinely cliff edge moment at which Parliament is going to have to decide just how much contempt they have for their employers. The answer of course is plenty but enough? That would be ballsy.

For the first time in some months I am starting to believe that this is possible again.

Yes, indeed. Well put.

Any MP that votes down this deal is saying a big F You to British voters, and not just Leave voters.

No matter how you spin it, that will look bad.

And if the result is No Deal, or civil war, then it will look even badderer,

It's a whites-of-their-eyes time.
    That was true when they repeatedly voted down May’s deal, but Johnson, Baker, Francois etc didn’t care then.

It’s breathtakingly cynical to go to an earlier draft of the deal before May extracted concessions and say ‘now we can vote for it.’

The EU must be scarce able to believe their luck.
    Who cares? We need a deal and we need it now. Right now.
    We wouldn’t need a deal and need it now if these stupid wankers hadn’t voted against a better deal nine months ago.
    A border in the North Sea! Why did no one think of that before? Boris really is a genius!
    To be picky, it’s the Irish Sea.
    Pedant.
    I suppose technically I’m wrong as well. Johnson is proposing a border in the North Sea and English Channel in addition to one in the Irish Sea.
    Who knows?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,104

It would be quite something if Theresa May were to lose the Conservative whip by voting against a Johnson Brexit deal with an Irish Sea border, though.

I’m surely not the only one regretting that she didn’t do that to the ERG and force an election on her deal.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

So Boris is going to have a deal which will involve the EU having moved quite significantly (and him as well of course) to bring to the Commons on Saturday. Will the fanatics who hold the majority in Parliament really have the balls to reject a second deal from the EU? It's possible but the pressure this time is immense.

Boris has achieved what May didn't, a sense of momentum and a genuinely cliff edge moment at which Parliament is going to have to decide just how much contempt they have for their employers. The answer of course is plenty but enough? That would be ballsy.

For the first time in some months I am starting to believe that this is possible again.

Yes, indeed. Well put.

Any MP that votes down this deal is saying a big F You to British voters, and not just Leave voters.

That was true when they repeatedly voted down May’s deal, but Johnson, Baker, Francois etc didn’t care then.

It’s breathtakingly cynical to go to an earlier draft of the deal before May extracted concessions and say ‘now we can vote for it.’

"Easiest deal in human history"

"They need us more than we need them"

"Who cares? We need a deal and we need it now"

No-one voted for this mess.
    We voted to leave. The fact that the tossers who constitute our political class thought that they knew better and insisted that we negotiated with both hands and a leg tied behind our backs whilst cheering on the other side at every opportunity is not the fault of those who voted to leave.
    No David. You voted to leave and unless you are a complete idiot, which I happen to know you are not, you knew, because you had thought it through, that exactly where we are now was always a likely scenario as a result of your actions.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

We wouldn’t need a deal and need it now if these stupid wankers hadn’t voted against a better deal nine months ago.
    Agree 100%
    I liked May's deal. I am sure I'll be fine with Johnson's deal. If it adds consent in Northern Ireland, I will be pleased. (Although I always felt we could have unilaterally added consent by publicly stating that we regarded our treaty obligations under Section One of the United Nations Charter as being superior to the WA, should conflict exist.)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,621
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

What he really needs from the summit is a declaration that an extension is available to implement a deal but not otherwise. He gets that and he is home and hosed.
    What's in it for the EU to do that? They've just proven they can, with great effort, be willing to entertain fresh offers, so presumably are open to a theoretical Labour negotation so why close off such an option, should the British people want to go for it, or indeed remain etc?
    I think that they are sick to death of this and have a very full agenda that there is never the time nor the energy to discuss.
    Heard that one before, and yet they extended once and seem perfectly content to extend again. And even if they do agree a new deal, might extend anyway if the UK continues to reject a deal. An eventual point may come where they are truly sick to death of this and want to focus on other matters - Juneish next year has been mentioned - but it doesn't seem like it is now.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited October 2019

It would be quite something if Theresa May were to lose the Conservative whip by voting against a Johnson Brexit deal with an Irish Sea border, though.

I'm sure there will be enough fudge to allow Theresa to vote YAY.

And she might quite relish sticking it to Arlene who loved having her (Theresa) on the rack for two years.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    kle4 said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

No one voted wanting this mess, but our votes opened up to the potential of this mess, even if too many discounted even the possibility of such mess and others, like me, miscalculated just how big a mess it would become.

But anyone voting for 'this mess' seems pretty irrelevant, it has to be dealt with somehow, and that probably won't be in a way that most wanted at the start of all this.
    Forty years of a stealthy transfer of power by a Europhile elite, afeared of set-backs if they asked for popular consent - that is what has caused this mess.
  • Options

Ha, so it would. But then, didn't she say no PM could agree to it? She wouldn't be PM, so could keep her word and still back it?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

A border in the North Sea! Why did no one think of that before? Boris really is a genius!
    Pedant.
    We love our pedantry here, but I'm not sure that counts as a pedantic detail!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The Benn Act was a ridiculous mistake. If we don't get this over the line that will be why.

That was my view two weeks ago.

But now I wonder if the Benn Act has forced Johnson to move quicker than he would otherwise have done so as to get a (broad) agreement in place before the mandated "ask for an extension" date.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I’m surely not the only one regretting that she didn’t do that to the ERG and force an election on her deal.
    The 1922 were never going to allow Theresa May to fight another election after 2017.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

Pedant.
    No but thankfully it was taken with the right humour! The comment actually made me laugh out loud.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

We voted to leave. The fact that the tossers who constitute our political class thought that they knew better and insisted that we negotiated with both hands and a leg tied behind our backs whilst cheering on the other side at every opportunity is not the fault of those who voted to leave.
    No David. You voted to leave and unless you are a complete idiot, which I happen to know you are not, you knew, because you had thought it through, that exactly where we are now was always a likely scenario as a result of your actions.
    That's a fair cop. It was never going to be easy. We were too divided, our involvement in the EU was much, much deeper than our political class ever let on, the economic advantages of the SM and CU are considerable and desirable, replacing them with something almost as good raised too many questions about the EU's very raison d'etre, even now so much can go wrong. If Merkel had given Cameron the emergency break on immigration he needed it would never have happened. Hey ho.
  • Options

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

Pedant.
    No but thankfully it was taken with the right humour! The comment actually made me laugh out loud.
    I didn't even notice the initial error - goes to show my fine attention to detail, I should stand for elected office :)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,104

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

Pedant.
    Boris wants borders everywhere.

Is it a sign he’s an EU plant?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

TMay has to vote against, Shirley?

She did say that no British Prime Minister could accept a customs border in the Irish Sea.
    As one of the more spectacularly unsuccessful Prime Ministers of recent times, Theresa May really wasn't the best person to start writing the book on what British Prime Ministers could or couldn't do.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

Agree 100%
    I liked May's deal. I am sure I'll be fine with Johnson's deal. If it adds consent in Northern Ireland, I will be pleased. (Although I always felt we could have unilaterally added consent by publicly stating that we regarded our treaty obligations under Section One of the United Nations Charter as being superior to the WA, should conflict exist.)
    I did too. I was furious the self styled Spartans voted against it. I am doubtful the new version will be much of an improvement but I frankly don't really care.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

That's a fair cop. It was never going to be easy. We were too divided, our involvement in the EU was much, much deeper than our political class ever let on, the economic advantages of the SM and CU are considerable and desirable, replacing them with something almost as good raised too many questions about the EU's very raison d'etre, even now so much can go wrong. If Merkel had given Cameron the emergency break on immigration he needed it would never have happened. Hey ho.
    I never thought it would be easy, I thought it would be bitter and chaotic, but I definitely still underestimated how much that would be the case, and how long it would take to get our shit together (we still haven't). The turning point came when into the earlier parts of this year there still wasn't agreement within the Cabinet on what to do next, never mind the Tories, or Parliament. I couldn't go on convincing myself that pushing on was worth it at that point.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    edited October 2019
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Verily, brother. Verily.

If we Brexit, I suspect in about 15-20 years it will be the EU that regrets it, more than the UK

It would have needed minimal movement from them, and all this grief would have been avoided.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Well, we are where we are. All passengers, and the next few days will be at least interesting.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

It's more than slightly depressing that, in retrospect, Cameron never managed to come to a reasoned settlement with the EU to avoid all this.

The EU basically told him to go forth and multiply, but Cameron should have been smarter with how he went about things.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

Surely you agree that the Benn Act has been very effective at forcing the PM to the table.

To dine on the 2 year old WA with Irish sea border flavoured humble pie admittedly.
    The Benn Act was a ridiculous mistake. If we don't get this over the line that will be why.
    Mistake? If the Benn Act stops this bad deal getting over the line we should all rejoice.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,493
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

Agree 100%
    I did too. I was furious the self styled Spartans voted against it. I am doubtful the new version will be much of an improvement but I frankly don't really care.
    Look on the bright side. Acknowledging that we should have an internal UK customs border makes the case that Independence is not needed for Scotland. The Irish Sea border can simply continue on to the mainland and finish at Berwick.
  • Options
    scapascapa Posts: 4
    DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

The people driving the leave vote were the same people that hamstrung May by forcing her into undeliverable red lines.

Blame them for this disaster. One of them is PM now, start there.
  • Options

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

It's more than slightly depressing that, in retrospect, Cameron never managed to come to a reasoned settlement with the EU to avoid all this.

The EU basically told him to go forth and multiply, but Cameron should have been smarter with how he went about things.
    We are certainly not going to go on about this again now but Cameron's deal was a good one. Unless you really, really didn't like foreigners. But then the foreigners came anyway just fewer from the EU.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The EU could actually offer two extensions , a bit like earlier in the year .

So a one month extension on proviso that the WAIB is passed before 30 November , a longer one kicks in if that isn’t passed .

They could also add there will be no further extensions, that’s it .

The final extension at least brings things to an end .
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

But now I wonder if the Benn Act has forced Johnson to move quicker than he would otherwise have done so as to get a (broad) agreement in place before the mandated "ask for an extension" date.
    It's possible. Boris really seemed to be playing at these negotiations at the start but he probably knew they wouldn't get serious until the end. I can't see how he ever believed he was going to get no deal past the Commons. It would be irrational to have thought that. He is many things, mendacious, untrustworthy, a terrible husband, etc etc. Stupid is not one of them.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Verily, brother. Verily.

If we Brexit, I suspect in about 15-20 years it will be the EU that regrets it, more than the UK

It would have needed minimal movement from them, and all this grief would have been avoided.
    This may seem silly now, but the whole Brexit exercise may be beneficial in the long run. Hopefully voters will look closer at politicians in future and ask harder questions. Ever closer union will be stopped for us. The pain of leaving the EU may make Scotland think twice about the Union. We may decide to focus on policies for people in this rapidly changing World. One can hope.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

It's possible. Boris really seemed to be playing at these negotiations at the start but he probably knew they wouldn't get serious until the end. I can't see how he ever believed he was going to get no deal past the Commons. It would be irrational to have thought that. He is many things, mendacious, untrustworthy, a terrible husband, etc etc. Stupid is not one of them.
    I'm not sure that means much. Intelligent people do stupid things all the time.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    nico67 said:

The EU could actually offer two extensions , a bit like earlier in the year .

So a one month extension on proviso that the WAIB is passed before 30 November , a longer one kicks in if that isn’t passed .

They could also add there will be no further extensions, that’s it .

The final extension at least brings things to an end .

I think you're right - there has to be finality eventually, but the longer extension would have to have a reason I think. Not just "come back again" with whatever Government you've got and we'll do this all over again.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

This is all bullshit IMHO.. They are going to say they have done a deal even if there is no 100% agreement. Both sides NEED a deal.
    Neither side NEEDS a deal (this week).

BORIS needs a deal to avoid the embarrassment of asking for an extension. The UK doesn't need a deal - not a Boris deal anyway.

The EU would like the Brexit farce to be over, but it doesn't care about Boris's possible embarrassment. Its priority is that ANY deal proposed by the UK meets the needs and rules of the EU.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,493
    I think there is very little reason to think this outline of a deal will get through the Commons. Remain will think that if it can see off this deal it will probably win. In truth Remain has a majority in parliament; in my view this includes the DUP; the DUP will also think that the deal suggested speeds up Irish reunification. There is a lot of water to flow under the bridge yet.
  • Options
    Johnson can get an extension and avoid too much flak if he’s seen to have got the EU to make it a final one .

That way he’s got a partial victory. I don’t see any way that he can meet the October 31 st deadline .

What’s being argued over tonight is the outlines of a deal not the legal text .
  • Options
    Byronic said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Verily, brother. Verily.

Sometimes being a "great negotiator" fucks you.
  • Options
    No leave until next year plenty of time for developments
  • Options

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

r this mess.
    Thatned. Hey ho.
    Verily, brother. Verily.

This may seem silly now, but the whole Brexit exercise may be beneficial in the long run. Hopefully voters will look closer at politicians in future and ask harder questions. Ever closer union will be stopped for us. The pain of leaving the EU may make Scotland think twice about the Union. We may decide to focus on policies for people in this rapidly changing World. One can hope.
    It would be nice to think so. This has been a difficult and painful time, and probably will be for a long time further regardless of what happens, but as unwelcome as political chaos is if there are such difficult issues to resolve they have to happen, and best case scenario society as a whole learns something from it and on balance it all works out. That isn't inevitable of course, but there is a moment to seize. Even if we end up remaining, things are not going to be the same as they were before - it's like the Restoration in that regard; sure, superficially many fundamental details look like they haven't changed and what was the point of 20 years of suffering, but the echoes from those years were felt long after.

Hopefully this will not take 20 years!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    edited October 2019

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Verily, brother. Verily.

I'm not sure how you voted in the EU ref, but in any case you surely must have noticed that Remainers and even more Leavers very much framed voting either way as pursuing a policy for people in this rapidly changing world? They're still doing it now.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Undoubtedly. But Boris is not just intelligent, he is a politician to his fingertips. He must have known that no deal was never going to happen.
  • Options
    TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584
    This place is gonna be like a wake come the weekend.
  • Options
    scapa said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

The people driving the leave vote were the same people that hamstrung May by forcing her into undeliverable red lines.

There is plenty of blame to go around and the Spartans have more than their share of it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

No one voted wanting this mess, but our votes opened up to the potential of this mess, even if too many discounted even the possibility of such mess and others, like me, miscalculated just how big a mess it would become.

But anyone voting for 'this mess' seems pretty irrelevant, it has to be dealt with somehow, and that probably won't be in a way that most wanted at the start of all this.
    Forty years of a stealthy transfer of power by a Europhile elite, afeared of set-backs if they asked for popular consent - that is what has caused this mess.
    This is what made the vote inevitable. For decades our political elite refused to tell the truth about the EU project. It is, and always has been, about ever closer union. All this shite about a nicer trading relationship and treaties changing how countries are ruled being mere “tidying up exercises” and “no EU army” are what caused this. Politicians on the continent are open about it and so people deal with it. When you have decades of lies after lies then the people will reject you and mistrust anything you say. If our politicians had been honest maybe we would be contented and positive members of the EU. Maybe we would never have joined or left in 75. Instead our politicians denied the truth and blamed the EU for their own fuckups and went over to Brussels to “get a better deal” whilst knowing it was a single track line.
    If those who voted remain are angry then they should be blaming the politicians who lied for decades about the reality of the European Union, not those who had enough of being treated like mugs by those they voted for.
    Rant over.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

I think there is very little reason to think this outline of a deal will get through the Commons. Remain will think that if it can see off this deal it will probably win. In truth Remain has a majority in parliament; in my view this includes the DUP; the DUP will also think that the deal suggested speeds up Irish reunification. There is a lot of water to flow under the bridge yet.

True, and we are probably just back at the 'deal optimism' part of the Brexit cycle, but until the DUP and spartans, and their bedfellows the Labour leavers, officially declare they cannot back a Boris deal (at least they have the grace to wait for it to be a thing before making a formal judgement, even if all sides tend to respond within minutes of an announcement) it's understandable that people hope that this time things have changed.

I come down to the two question of which path is easier for the various groupings of MPs, particularly knowing an extension is on the cards regardless?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

There is plenty of blame to go around and the Spartans have more than their share of it.
    If Boris has delivered real movement on the deal then the Spartans deserve credit for not settling months ago.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,044
    there's always been a border in the Irish sea. The clue is in the name. Legal borders are a different matter of course. I've said it before and I'll say it again. What were unionists doing in voting to leave? If they wanted to re-impose a border in Ireland then it would have at least made sense. Their leaders should hang their heads in shame.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Johnson can get an extension and avoid too much flak if he’s seen to have got the EU to make it a final one .

That way he’s got a partial victory. I don’t see any way that he can meet the October 31 st deadline .

What’s being argued over tonight is the outlines of a deal not the legal text .

If the EU really want to see a deal passed by the UK they need to say 'We are very unhappy about this deal' and it will sail through the parliament.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I'm really looking forward to TMay's speech on Saturday.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    It’s seems to me Boris and Cummings of desperate for a deal, any deal, because they don’t have a plan B.

It also seems certain whatever comes out the tunnel doesn’t get through parliamentary scrutiny. It’s going to have to by pass parliamentary scrutiny with some sort of quick bounce.

Popcorn for super Saturday. What time does the rugby kick off
  • Options

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

If Boris has delivered real movement on the deal then the Spartans deserve credit for not settling months ago.
    That's bonkers. This is far worse than TMay's deal last spring.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

If the movement is genuinely in a direction they wanted, absolutely they would deserve credit for that. I for one never thought they'd get anything significant, it will be fascinating to see if they have, or if there's figleafs sold as significant, or a return to something presented as unreasonable previously.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    TGOHF2 said:

Maybe so, but whose wake?
  • Options
    egg said:

It’s seems to me Boris and Cummings of desperate for a deal, any deal, because they don’t have a plan B.

It also seems certain whatever comes out the tunnel doesn’t get through parliamentary scrutiny. It’s going to have to by pass parliamentary scrutiny with some sort of quick bounce.

Popcorn for super Saturday. What time does the rugby kick off

8.45 am
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,040
    GIN1138 said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Brom said:

Looks to me like a rout of the remainers.

I was one once. But the behaviour of remain since the referendum has alienated me (and, seemingly, much of the public).

If Boris puts together a reasonable deal against the so called odds as reported in the Guardian then we'll soon find out who the good guys are. Those who feared no deal yet oppose the latest potential deal clearly only care for chaos and making a name for themselves rather than the National Good. (I'll excuse the hard left and SNP from that as by default they would never approve any Tory deal)
    The national good was never about leaving it’s only benefiting a few tax avoiding billionaires it won’t be long before the man on the Hartlepool omnibus finds out he’s been conned.
    That is the only hope you have. Poisoning the well. Salting the fields.

You're going to be disappointed.
    No I won’t be, I’ll be better off financially than I have been for the last three years and hopefully the government won’t continue to piss off EU citizens in the UK. Maybe one day you will be able to tell me what benefit all this has been about without resorting to ridiculous claims about non existent loss of sovereignty and the wonderful future we now face.
    You'll have to start campaigning to REJOIN! :D
    I have! Fighting with Plaid for an independent Wales in the EU. A way to go yet but just imagine all those Social Fund grants they give to economic basket case new members!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

He is also malign of course - a lower form of life indeed.
  • Options

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Do you really think he has though? The differences look minimal and quite tokenistic to me from what we have seen so far. Its back to an earlier version of May's deal that the DUP rejected but with a bit more thought applied to the practicalities of NI. And the price we have paid in our politics, our economy and even in our Constitution has been very high.
  • Options

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

Obviously you’re happy for NI to be in the EU in all but name without representation then.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

How do you know ? Have you seen the text ? Are you our man in Brussels Mike :o ?!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Undoubtedly. But Boris is not just intelligent, he is a politician to his fingertips. He must have known that no deal was never going to happen.
    I'm sure he didn't, and his attempt to get an election makes it clear what the plan A was. Plan B on what to do if no deal is ruled out and you cannot get an election is what he didn't plan for, other than to state how much we are leaving come what may to encourage BXPers.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,044

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

Have you been given advanced copy?
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:
    If only I'd kept that tweet just after the leadership election which said - can we just skip to the part whereby the only deal that is available is May's WA.
    But this isn't the WA. That kept the entire UK in a customs union with no exit clause. This agreement keeps GB out entirely, and NI out legally with the right to exit out of the administrative side too. It is completely untrue to say this is the same as May's deal.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,129
    TGOHF2 said:

A wake for the woke.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

Obviously you’re happy for NI to be in the EU in all but name without representation then.
    That was Philip_Thompson's objection to the backstop! (albeit not one shared by BoJo and co).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nichomar said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

That was Philip_Thompson's objection to the backstop! (albeit not one shared by BoJo and co).
    Indeed.
  • Options

there's always been a border in the Irish sea. The clue is in the name. Legal borders are a different matter of course. I've said it before and I'll say it again. What were unionists doing in voting to leave? If they wanted to re-impose a border in Ireland then it would have at least made sense. Their leaders should hang their heads in shame.

The hard border is what they wanted and it’s backfired because now whatever deal they agree to will be trashed by the UUP .

And any sort of border would see calls for a border poll within the next few years . A majority in NI support the backstop. In polls a majority of unionists wanted a softer Brexit.

The DUP do not speak for NI and are ignoring the majority . They have played and lost and deserve everything coming to them.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    edited October 2019
    nichomar said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

y opportunity is not the fault of those who voted to leave.

It is not in the EU in all but name. It is legally part of the UK's Customs Union and will benefit from tariff reductions in FTAs agreed with other countries. It also has representation as it can choose to exit the administrative setup every four years.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited October 2019
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Pedant.
    Actually, the stretch of water between N. Ireland and the mainland is the North Channel. The Irish Sea is further south....
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The DUP do not speak for NI and are ignoring the majority . They have played and lost and deserve everything coming to them.
    Likely continuing as the largest party in Northern Ireland?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Define "worse".

If you mean its less BINO than May's deal then I agree, and I see why a Lib Dem such as yourself may not be happy with such movement but that's exactly what the Spartans wanted and it looks like Boris could have achieved.
  • Options
    Sterling continuing to rise. Goldmans telling traders to cover their sterling shorts.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

TGOHF2 said:

A wake for the woke.
    Everyone bring their own humble pie to the wake, just in case.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,493

I'm really looking forward to TMay's speech on Saturday.

How long does it take to say "I told you so"?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Do you really think he has though? The differences look minimal and quite tokenistic to me from what we have seen so far. Its back to an earlier version of May's deal that the DUP rejected but with a bit more thought applied to the practicalities of NI. And the price we have paid in our politics, our economy and even in our Constitution has been very high.
    We'll see soon enough.

I think he inevitably will have. For one thing the issue of consent seems to have been accepted as important by the other side when it wasn't even regarded as an issue at all when May was in charge.

If consent has been dealt with I'll be happier.
  • Options

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

Have you seen the deal?

Although this is your blog your comments, im afraid, are nowadays heavily compromised by your partisanship.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

TGOHF2 said:

A wake for the woke.
    All the “dangerous no deal” speeches will need to be rapidly rewritten. I guess we get Corbyn’s “disastrous Tory Brexit” (the answer to which is presumably “let’s have an election”) and then the first “we must rejoin” speeches. A whole new script!
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

Rant over.

Good. It's was mostly crap.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

nichomar said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

scapa said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Yes, indeed. Well put.

y opportunity is not the fault of those who voted to leave.

It is not in the EU in all but name. It is legally part of the UK's Customs Union and will benefit from tariff reductions in FTAs agreed with other countries. It also has representation as it can choose to exit the administrative setup every four years.
    You have a copy of the deal then?
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:

:D
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,040

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Pedant.
    Actually, the stretch of water between N. Ireland and the mainland is the North Channel. The Irish Sea is further south....
    Now that is first rate pedantry!
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    nico67 said:

I'm no fan of the DUP and I don't mean to come over all HYUFD on you, because there's precious little Northern Ireland polling, but what little NI polling that we have seen all still gives the DUP a lead, although the most recent polls do have the DUP down on the most recent comparable election.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

geoffw said:

TGOHF2 said:

A wake for the woke.
    Everyone bring their own humble pie to the wake, just in case.
    Maybe she will reprise her "nasty party" speech. God knows she has enough material to work with.
  • Options

Although this is your blog your comments, im afraid, are nowadays heavily compromised by your partisanship.

Magnificent!
  • Options
    Should I stay up or just turn in...
  • Options

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Pedant.
    Sruth na Maoile
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

TGOHF2 said:

Spurs playing again... Can't argue with you.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Define "worse".

If you mean its less BINO than May's deal then I agree, and I see why a Lib Dem such as yourself may not be happy with such movement but that's exactly what the Spartans wanted and it looks like Boris could have achieved.
    Well, we don't know the full details yet. But it seems from the tea leaves that Northern Ireland is becoming less a part of the UK and more a part of the EU than under Mrs May's deal, but that is balanced by the WA containing provisions for the Northern Irish to remove themselves from the (don't call it a) backstop.

I applaud the latter, but feel it could have been achieved with the existing May WA.

The irony out of all of this is that Northern Ireland would probably have (eventually) left the backstop under May's proposals. But I suspect never will under Johnson's.
  • Options

nico67 said:

I'm no fan of the DUP and I don't mean to come over all HYUFD on you, because there's precious little Northern Ireland polling, but what little NI polling that we have seen all still gives the DUP a lead, although the most recent polls do have the DUP down on the most recent comparable election.
    The UUP are going to shout betrayal which could effect them in a general election . And any Stormont election if that place ever opens again will likely see losses for them .
  • Options

Sterling continuing to rise. Goldmans telling traders to cover their sterling shorts.

As a Goldman Sachs alum, I think what you meant to say was "Goldman Sachs FX Strategist xxx advises clients and traders to close sterling shorts."

There will be hundreds of traders at Goldman with sterling positions - some will be long, some will be short. Management doesn't tell traders what positions they run*.

* With some exceptions.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:
    She looks under pressure.

The pressure is brexit deal falling simply because DUP votes don’t support it.

Rugby 0845, what time the order papers waved for the commons kick off?
  • Options
    Noo said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Pedant.
    Sruth na Maoile
    "That which we call a rose, would, by any other name....." ;)
  • Options

Noo said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Pedant.
    Sruth na Maoile
    "That which we call a rose, would, by any other name....." ;)
    Be a Beverly?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Did England win the war against Spain already?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:
    I have no position on Northern Ireland's place in the UK/Ireland. I've never been there and I have precisely zero fucks to give about whether it stays or goes. But. Every time I see DUP folk speak I can't help but to root a little for Sinn Fein. I mean, I know there are good people in other unionist parties. Hell, there might even be some humans in the DUP itself. But gods what a dreadful sack of anuses the DUP are.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,142
    Danny565 said:
    We will see. How many billion would you like Arlene?
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Whoah

Nasty scenes in Barcelona.

This is not over.
  • Options
    scapascapa Posts: 4
    I wonder how many of of the 17.4m voted in support of a carving up of the UK?

And if they didn't, whither now the "will of the people"?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,142

Should I stay up or just turn in...

Laura K says turn in. No news tonight apparently.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Son apparently just been involved in an emergency landing at Southend - sounds like things got exciting for a bit if he telling it as it was.

Plane landed safely but sounds like they foamed the runway before landing and the plane afterwards - he was told 2 hydraulic systems failed.

Had to adopt emergency position and lots of drama and tears on board
  • Options
    Floater said:

Son apparently just been involved in an emergency landing at Southend - sounds like things got exciting for a bit if he telling it as it was.

Plane landed safely but sounds like they foamed the runway before landing and the plane afterwards - he was told 2 hydraulic systems failed.

Had to adopt emergency position and lots of drama and tears on board

Sqeegie merchants.

Completely foamed the plane and then asked, would you like a shave sir?
  • Options
    Noo said:

Danny565 said:

Arlene is not for turning:

twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1184167034868895745

I have no position on Northern Ireland's place in the UK/Ireland. I've never been there and I have precisely zero fucks to give about whether it stays or goes. But. Every time I see DUP folk speak I can't help but to root a little for Sinn Fein. I mean, I know there are good people in other unionist parties. Hell, there might even be some humans in the DUP itself. But gods what a dreadful sack of anuses the DUP are.
    I grew up in Northern Ireland and happen to be here at the moment [Disclaimer: It is pure chance that @HYUFD is here and I am certain is nowhere near me :) ]

The DUP are, IMO, crazed. They also seem to be losing support.
This discussion has been closed.