Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s Ipsos-MORI satisfaction ratings drop to the lowest fo

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    TGOHF said:

One benefit of the LD position is that they can now vote down Boris’s new deal as they are clearly anti Brexit/voter.

Will Jezza join them ? Yes but again he will look weak and bitter for stopping a deal.

What deal?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Someone pointed out earlier that the Taliban aren't from the "Middle East".. it's as blatant a "they all look the same" type gaffe as you're likely to get, and I have to say, yet again, imagine the reaction if it had been Farage
    Lighten up, the joke wouldn't have worked otherwise.
    I dont really mind, Im just aware of how different the reaction would have been if it had been Farage.

I think it would have worked ok had he just said "terrorist group" to be fair
    Oh dear, some serious straw clutching from the PB Leave fanatics here. Hilarious. Farage wouldn't have said it that way. he would have more likely said "they look all the same" because he uses racist language , well according to Alan Sked anyway. Any ideas as to whether Farage sued Mr Sked over that allegation? Nope thought he didn't
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Nigelb said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:
    I can only assume David Allen Green has not been out door-knocking.

Because that number is massively low. And they may not know whether popery/Brexit is man or horse. But they know a patronising c*** suggesting they are thick when they hear one.....
    I don't know that I'm particularly against pointing out someone is ignorant if it's true. You can call it patronising if you like, and we can find you a safe space where you don't have to listen to it. But if it's true it's true.
    I can only assume that most of the prolific posters on here never venture out with a clipboard door-knocking. Their exposure to what real voters think is laughably off-beam.
    In my case, your assumption would be wrong.
    I've campaigned for candidates from two different parties. Street stalls, canvassing, leaflets at the shops, leaflets through the doors. I even went to a count once. That's more activism than most. And I'm struck by how often you hear media lines tripping out of the mouths of voters. They earnest believe what they say, but it's often other people's words. You can tell because exact slogans come out very often. And if you probe gently, just a little, you quickly meet a mass of unreconciled and often contradictory feelings.
    On the score of voter information, this is an interesting read:
    https://www.politico.com/interactives/2019/how-to-fix-politics-in-america/misinformation/
    Is there a specific article I should be looking at here?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,704
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Brom said:

A deal looking more likely by the hour. Fingers crossed.

We already have a deal!
    A deal both sides, and Parliament, agree on.
    And that, according to @Brom, is looking more likely by the hour? Really?
    Meh, I remember the days when the WA was not up for negotiation.
    You'll no doubt also remember the days when 'no deal was better than a bad deal' or even when a trade deal with the EU would be the 'easiest thing in the world'.
    Yeah, she clearly didn't follow through on that, although I suspect she saw it as a good deal. As for the easiest thing in the world, Fox said it should be, but that politics would get in the way. Perhaps one of the most misquoted quotations used on this site.
    There will be no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside. David Davis (10 October 2016)

The day after we vote to leave we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want. Michael Gove (9 April 2016)

There will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market.
    Boris Johnson (26 June 2016)

Getting out of the EU can be quick and easy – the UK holds most of the cards in any negotiation. John Redwood (17 July 2016)

To me, Brexit is easy. Nigel Farage (20 September 2016)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Brom said:

We already have a deal!
    You'll no doubt also remember the days when 'no deal was better than a bad deal' or even when a trade deal with the EU would be the 'easiest thing in the world'.
    Yeah, she clearly didn't follow through on that, although I suspect she saw it as a good deal. As for the easiest thing in the world, Fox said it should be, but that politics would get in the way. Perhaps one of the most misquoted quotations used on this site.
    There will be no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside. David Davis (10 October 2016)

The day after we vote to leave we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want. Michael Gove (9 April 2016)

Getting out of the EU can be quick and easy – the UK holds most of the cards in any negotiation. John Redwood (17 July 2016)

So no need to use the Fox one anymore? :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Brom said:

We already have a deal!

Thought you'd had that one already:

The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history. Liam Fox (20 July 2017)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Noo said:

Because that number is massively low. And they may not know whether popery/Brexit is man or horse. But they know a patronising c*** suggesting they are thick when they hear one.....
    Also the “I told you it was too difficult” doesn’t really work with the “of course we’re still sovereign - we can leave any time” argument
  • Options
    Mr. Noo, kind of you to say so :)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Blimey the LDs are on fire today on twitter!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history. Liam Fox (20 July 2017)

Still not a complete quotation.
  • Options
    Interesting analysis here. Based on the relative PM/LotO satisfaction figures, Johnson would be on for a triple-digit majority landslide.

https://twitter.com/RafBSingh/status/1175056343927054336
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

True Dat, as I understand the young people put it...
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    And if he doesn't reach such a deal then he has to ask for an extension to comply with the Benn act.
    Or resign and let someone else do that.
    Boris will not resign. He will have a narrative that will galvanise his supporters and many in the country - the remainer parliament has robbed us of Brexit. Vots for me and we will deliver it. Will it be enough though?
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited September 2019

Interesting analysis here. Based on the relative PM/LotO satisfaction figures, Johnson would be on for a triple-digit majority landslide.

If Farage implodes or the BXP drop to mid single digits the will be
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    "Did you order the Code Red?"
  • Options
    Charles said:

Noo said:

Also the “I told you it was too difficult” doesn’t really work with the “of course we’re still sovereign - we can leave any time” argument
    Sovereignty is too abstract without qualification. Sovereign as in we had the unilateral right to leave? Yes. Sovereign as in the only rules that apply in this country are ones made exclusively in this country? No (but then, who is?).
    James O'Brien has a good line in questioning Brexiters on "what rules would you change if we had the power", which almost always flummoxed them.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Noo said:

Of course it does. We are sovereign because we have the ability to leave, wage war, be a member of the UN etc. etc. We can leave. It is just a stupid fucking thing to do. Period. I can slash my arms with a razor if I wish, but equally it would be a stupid fucking thing to do. That simple enough for you?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,015
    Brom said:

dream on
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667
    Noo said:

Nigelb said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

I don't know that I'm particularly against pointing out someone is ignorant if it's true. You can call it patronising if you like, and we can find you a safe space where you don't have to listen to it. But if it's true it's true.
    I can only assume that most of the prolific posters on here never venture out with a clipboard door-knocking. Their exposure to what real voters think is laughably off-beam.
    In my case, your assumption would be wrong.
    I've campaigned for candidates from two different parties. Street stalls, canvassing, leaflets at the shops, leaflets through the doors. I even went to a count once. That's more activism than most. And I'm struck by how often you hear media lines tripping out of the mouths of voters. They earnest believe what they say, but it's often other people's words. You can tell because exact slogans come out very often. And if you probe gently, just a little, you quickly meet a mass of unreconciled and often contradictory feelings.
    On the score of voter information, this is an interesting read:
    https://www.politico.com/interactives/2019/how-to-fix-politics-in-america/misinformation/
    Is there a specific article I should be looking at here?
    Not really - they're all quite short.

The interesting thing to me was the absence of any even moderately compelling ideas.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Brom said:

We already have a deal!

Yep, what do you expect when you put a retired GP in charge of trade? It is like visiting a UN trade negotiator and asking what their opinion on your bunions is.
  • Options
    In other words we are getting nowhere but we will pretend till 31st October that everyone is trying hard.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    malcolmg said:

Brom said:

dream on
    About 100 times more likely than Scottish Independence in fairness
  • Options
    Brom said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

dream on
    So what?
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Brom said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

dream on
    So what?
    I agree, that is a good thing
  • Options
    Brom said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

dream on
    LOL, cuckoo
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    And if he doesn't reach such a deal then he has to ask for an extension to comply with the Benn act.
    Boris will not resign. He will have a narrative that will galvanise his supporters and many in the country - the remainer parliament has robbed us of Brexit. Vots for me and we will deliver it. Will it be enough though?
    But the only way he can deliver it is leaving without a deal. And that is not an election-winning platform.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Scott_P said:
    Although it's Johnson who can't handle [telling] the truth.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Noo said:

Charles said:

Noo said:

Sovereignty is too abstract without qualification. Sovereign as in we had the unilateral right to leave? Yes. Sovereign as in the only rules that apply in this country are ones made exclusively in this country? No (but then, who is?).
    James O'Brien has a good line in questioning Brexiters on "what rules would you change if we had the power", which almost always flummoxed them.
    Noo said:

Charles said:

Noo said:

They shouldn’t be flummoxed. The rule we want to change is the rule that means we can’t elect or dismiss those who make the rules. We want to go back to being a democracy. Simples.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    malcolmg said:

Brom said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

dream on
    LOL, cuckoo
    Fair. Both about 25% to my mind.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Scott_P said:
    True, Corbyn is telling the truth: he's not sitting on the fence. On the contrary, he's not ruling out sitting on the fence.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

Charles said:

Noo said:

Of course it does. We are sovereign because we have the ability to leave, wage war, be a member of the UN etc. etc. We can leave. It is just a stupid fucking thing to do. Period. I can slash my arms with a razor if I wish, but equally it would be a stupid fucking thing to do. That simple enough for you?
    It would stop you posting so much nonsense, so there are upsides
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    Noo said:

I have to issue a correction. It's actually candidates for THREE separate parties. I was forgetting one single leaflet run before the 2005 election.

Campaigned for THREE different parties!

Are you a gun for hire?
  • Options

Boris seems to be by far the most popular leader with the C2DEs doesnt he? It would be a case of polling backing up my anecdotal observations that working class people aren't bothered by posh leaders in the way middle class intellectuals want them to be
  • Options
    Mr. Nabavi, he's being very clear.

He's contemplating the possibility of considering both sides with the potential for expressing his preference, or not, regarding remaining neutral should a second referendum be something on the horizon.

Decisive.
  • Options
    philiph said:

To be fair to Tim, this is up there among his most memorable lines. It is an absolute bullseye hitting the target perfectly. It makes a strong point with clarity and humour. In addition it is concise.

It IS funny. And as with most of the best jokes there is more than a trace of affection for the target. Tim and Jeremy get on, this is very clear.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Brom said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

dream on
    LOL, cuckoo
    Poor old Cybernats. Can't qualify for a football tournament in their own country and vote against their own Independence. No chance you're getting a referendum for a number of years and when it does happen you'll just bottle it again.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited September 2019
    kinabalu said:

philiph said:

To be fair to Tim, this is up there among his most memorable lines. It is an absolute bullseye hitting the target perfectly. It makes a strong point with clarity and humour. In addition it is concise.

It IS funny. And as with most of the best jokes there is more than a trace of affection for the target. Tim and Jeremy get on, this is very clear.
    I thought it was about Emily T., not JC

Edit to add: Unless you are suggesting that Tim is undermining Emily T. for JC.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Three LOL posts in the first 100! That's good going (Farron Marquee and Nabavi)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013

Certainly agree with the LD. FPTP is a cruel mistress, and they have only 11 MPs defending seats (People have asked before, but a reply I haven't seen - what is the position with Steve Lloyd - Wiki says he doesn't have the Whip, but is still a LD party member).

The seven joiners from other parties are so far behind in their existing Constituencies, so personal votes of a few thousand aren't going to help them hold the seats. Besides, both Umunna and Berger are jumping ship to fight elsewhere.

With Nick Clegg's 23% performance in 2010, they managed only 57 seats, 1% higher vote share and 5 lower(!) seats.

60 seats is certainly doable. 80 is really pushing it. More than 100, and I would expect them to be on a least 35%, which I just can't see.

If things don't go to plan, I can easily see them NOT regaining third party in terms of seats.

FPTP is has inherent tipping points, once exceeded seats fall thick and fast.
    Take your 35% in order to get 100 seats. That implies that everybod else has 65% between them. So how would that be distributed?

Labour 25% ( they wouldn't go very much lower would they?)
    Brexit 10% maybe
    Green 5%
    Others 2%

So add that up and you get 23% left for the Tories.
    With those figures it's landslide territory for the Lib Dems.

Not that I think it's going to happen, but they (and indeed anybody else) could win with around 30%, I think we should look at the opinion polls with that in mind.
    The easiest way to think about this is to imagine there are two national parties, one with 80% and one (we'll call them the LibDems) with 20%. (We'll call this 1 + 1)

Assume random variation around the UK, and the LibDems get... maybe... one seat. But more likely none.

Now assume there are two parties on 40%, and one one 20%. (2 + 1). In these circumstances the LDs get... ohhh... 20 seats?

Now let's add another party. So 30% + 30% + 30% + 20%. Now, they get sixty seats.

Add another one... and now it's 120. Add another and it's 200. Simply, the fragmentation of politics allows more seats for a given vote share.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Poor old Jolyon Maugham having a paddy on Twitter cos the beeb cut him out of the cherry presser outside supreme court.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

Scott_P said:
    Does anyone have a clue what the government's intention is, in the light of that report?

That there's going to be a new Withdrawal Agreement allowing us to leave on the basis of a plan that won't be fully worked out until we've left?

That the missing details are going to be filled in during the last fortnight of October?

That we're going to leave without a deal but they're going to carry on going through the motions because they have nothing better to do?

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • Options
    Brom said:

Streeter said:

Brom said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

dream on
    So what?
    I agree, that is a good thing
    Bollox on both
  • Options
    (A non-statistician writes….) Isn't there something called Lakeman's Cube Law which can be used to predict FPTP elections? Formulated by Enid Lakeman who ran the Electoral Reform Society some years ago, it shows that the seats are distributed according to the *cube* of the ratio of the votes cast. So, a 40%/40%/20% split of votes gives a ratio of 2/2/1, which will give a seat allocation in the ratio of 8/8/1. "Proved" by the two General Election results in 1974.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,359
    Anorak said:

Scott_P said:
    Corbyn probably deserves as much of a reputation for being a giant fibber. He's been caught barefaced lying several times about his past, and the statements put out on his behalf whenever the latest weekly antisemitism scandal hits Labour would shame comical Ali.
  • Options
    Brom said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

dream on
    LOL, cuckoo
    Poor old Cybernats. Can't qualify for a football tournament in their own country and vote against their own Independence. No chance you're getting a referendum for a number of years and when it does happen you'll just bottle it again.
    Cuckoo for sure, your village is looking for you troll
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Remainers seem to be terrified of a deal emerging.

They still hold out hope that Brexit will never happen.

The correct answer to the hypothetical exam question - "If one places equal importance on not trashing the 2016 referendum AND on protecting living standards, how should one proceed from here?" - is to Brexit with a Deal, this in all probability being the WA amended for a NI only backstop Deal that I think Johnson will try and pull off.

So I ought to be rooting for that, I know I should.

Reason I'm not is my fear that he will get a massive boost from it - deservedly - and it could lead to a Tory landslide. Which is not IMO in the National Interest. Quite the opposite.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

dream on
    LOL, cuckoo
    Fair. Both about 25% to my mind.
    Independence is well above 25% chance nowadays unless the Lib Dems win a majority.
  • Options
    isam said:

Boris seems to be by far the most popular leader with the C2DEs doesnt he? It would be a case of polling backing up my anecdotal observations that working class people aren't bothered by posh leaders in the way middle class intellectuals want them to be
    I think the point with the chart is that in a two party system, then the relative satisfaction levels of the PM / LotO has very high predictive power.

Which is as you'd expect.

Where this may break down is a situation where both the PM and the LotO are relatively unpopular.

Take the last French Presidential elections. If you'd measured the incumbent's popularity against the de facto leader of the opposition Mme Le Pen, you'd have had her down for a landslide. But the reality was that neither was particularly popular, and they leaked votes to a new party.

Is this going to happen this time? Well, it depends. Nigel Farage has not gone away, and he continue to nip at the heels of Boris Johnson. The SNP is certainly not going anywhere. And the LibDems have their moment in the sun. It's certainly not inconceivable that the Conservatives get 30%, BXP 15%, Lab 20% and the LDs 25% at the next election. What HoC that results in, I don't know.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Its hard to imagine any leader being more unpopular that Michael Foot.. but there you go. Corbyn is completely unelectable.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,556

(A non-statistician writes….) Isn't there something called Lakeman's Cube Law which can be used to predict FPTP elections? Formulated by Enid Lakeman who ran the Electoral Reform Society some years ago, it shows that the seats are distributed according to the *cube* of the ratio of the votes cast. So, a 40%/40%/20% split of votes gives a ratio of 2/2/1, which will give a seat allocation in the ratio of 8/8/1. "Proved" by the two General Election results in 1974.

And unproved by the 1983 election. The LDs look a bit like the Alliance in that one.

• Options
    philiph said:

I thought it was about Emily T., not JC

Edit to add: Unless you are suggesting that Tim is undermining Emily T. for JC.

It's a riposte TO Emily but it's ABOUT Jeremy.

Jeremy is the butt of the joke.

And as I say, I sense affection there.
  • Options

That sounds eminently plausible, with the proviso that Scotland is different.

But lets go with Ipsos Mori: 33 / 24 / 23 / 10 / 4

Which, looking at the non-Scottish, non Northern-Irish seats gives:

C - 328
    L - 126
    LD - 111
    BXP - 9
    G - 1

Which is probably a little too high for the LDs and BXP, and a little too low for L, but is otherwise about right.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    algarkirk said:

And unproved by the 1983 election. The LDs look a bit like the Alliance in that one.

Obviously it depends on how the vote is distributed, not just on the total vote.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

The problems the LDs had in 1983 was that they were still 18-19% behind the Conservatives, and almost all their potential wins were against the Conservatives.

Indeed, to look at LD pickups, look at the C-LD spread. I suspect that has a much greater predictive power than almost anything else. And it's currently at about 12-13 points, which suggests a total in the 40s for them.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    In 1983, the Alliance famously polled 25.4% and won 23 seats; Labour polled 27.6% and got 209.

How do you think it would play out if the LDs won a higher vote share than Labour, but, say, 1/5th of the seats?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667
    malcolmg said:

In other words we are getting nowhere but we will pretend till 31st October that everyone is trying hard.
    This is bizarre:
    Fresh Brexit talks row as UK asks EU to keep its proposals secret
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/20/fresh-brexit-talks-row-uk-eu-proposals-secret
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Scott_P said:
    Yes.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Does anyone have a clue what the government's intention is, in the light of that report?

That there's going to be a new Withdrawal Agreement allowing us to leave on the basis of a plan that won't be fully worked out until we've left?

That the missing details are going to be filled in during the last fortnight of October?

That we're going to leave without a deal but they're going to carry on going through the motions because they have nothing better to do?

I think this article by Simon Jenkins might well be an accurate take on what Boris (though maybe not Cummings) is trying to do:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/20/boris-johnson-brexit-deal-brussels-dup

Even if the DUP and the EU play ball, there are many obstacles to it working, not least the timescale.

Anyway it's very hard to see how he could get such a deal getting parliament. The opposition parties aren't going to cooperate in setting themselves up to be 'up the electoral creek without a paddle', and he's carelessly turned a tiny majority into a majority of -43 or whatever it is this week. Since parliament probably has the option to force him to miss his self-imposed do-or-die deadline, and he's made many gratuitous enemies, I don't see where the votes come from even if the DUP do vote for the fudge.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

This is bizarre:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/20/fresh-brexit-talks-row-uk-eu-proposals-secret
    Wait, I thought we were going to sideline the Commission and go straight to the individual countries?

More seriously, if we're going to win this, then we need to have the people of Ireland putting pressure on their government to accept our proposals. (And the same is true, to a lesser extent, of other countries.)

We need to be seen as the reasonable ones, who have put in place a proposal that deals with the reason the backstop is seen to need to exist. "If we do x, then you won't need the backstop, so let's do x, and we can all avoid a nasty recession".
  • Options
    isam said:

Depends. There is (still) such a thing as working class deference to their betters but, for example, I do not recall the very posh David Cameron going down a storm in the Wheeltappers & Shunters.

You do need something else to be both posh and popular with the lower orders. With Boris I think it's the 'bit of a laugh' vibe. Appears not to take himself - or indeed anybody or anything - at all seriously.

Some people really like that - and there are a disproportionate number of them in the aforesaid lower orders.

"Life's shit. You have to laugh, mate, don't you?, else you'd cry."
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

Chris said:

I think this article by Simon Jenkins might well be an accurate take on what Boris (though maybe not Cummings) is trying to do:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/20/boris-johnson-brexit-deal-brussels-dup

Even if the DUP and the EU play ball, there are many obstacles to it working, not least the timescale.

Anyway it's very hard to see how he could get such a deal getting parliament. The opposition parties aren't going to cooperate in setting themselves up to be 'up the electoral creek without a paddle', and he's carelessly turned a tiny majority into a majority of -43 or whatever it is this week. Since parliament probably has the option to force him to miss his self-imposed do-or-die deadline, and he's made many gratuitous enemies, I don't see where the votes come from even if the DUP do vote for the fudge.
    The other parties may want to vote for a deal because it is in their interest. I don't think the Boris deadline matters as much as his opponents like to think. Is there a single Leaver on here that will turn against Boris because of it? That is a good indicator. On the other hand, a General Election where MPs have voted against leaving with a deal and against leaving without a deal is going to be catastrophic for them in two thirds of constituencies.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820

Chris said:

He's completely stuck. Other than hoping he is not punished when a GE does finally come, such options are are available to him rely heavily on others doing what he wants when they have shown no inclination to do so.
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

Noo said:

I leave the nonsense to people that still believe in fairies, Father Christmas and a beneficial Brexit. Do you believe in all three?
  • Options

Chris said:

If you read Arlene's comments, she's sounding like she's OK with the backstop so long as Stormont can vote for Northern Ireland to leave it. (Which, from a practical perspective, means Northern Ireland will never leave the backstop, as it will have the flexibility of British regulation in areas like employment law, yet be a part of the Single Market. I would load up on Belfast property in that scenario.)

Would Francois and Baker vote for this? I don't know. And I think there are precious few Labour-ites who'd want to support Boris, because Tory Brexit.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited September 2019

Anyway it's very hard to see how he could get such a deal getting parliament.

Pretty much every scenario hits this obstacle. Only ways it seems possible is one or both of …

a) EU has reached the end of its tether wrt further extensions.

b) Johnson has such a large majority he can ram it through.
  • Options

Its hard to imagine any leader being more unpopular that Michael Foot.. but there you go. Corbyn is completely unelectable.

Unless the alternative is Boris and no-deal, then he might be!
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779
    edited September 2019
    isam said:

Why are retired people treated as working class?

I seem to be the only one bugged by it, but using C2DE=working class means the group with the fewer workers is working class.

The result is the interests of workers are rarely considered. Helping "working class" or "C2DE"s is treated as helping workers, when it is disproportionately negative for them. Then pensioners and the unemployed get further assistance beyond that.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

The other parties may want to vote for a deal because it is in their interest. I don't think the Boris deadline matters as much as his opponents like to think. Is there a single Leaver on here that will turn against Boris because of it? That is a good indicator. On the other hand, a General Election where MPs have voted against leaving with a deal and against leaving without a deal is going to be catastrophic for them in two thirds of constituencies.

It's not the opposition parties who have been saying hundreds of times that we are absolutely certain to be leaving on October 31st do-or-die, deal or no-deal.
  • Options

isam said:

Charles said:

Noo said:

I leave the nonsense to people that still believe in fairies, Father Christmas and a beneficial Brexit. Do you believe in all three?
    If only you did
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

This is bizarre:
    Wait, I thought we were going to sideline the Commission and go straight to the individual countries?

More seriously, if we're going to win this, then we need to have the people of Ireland putting pressure on their government to accept our proposals. (And the same is true, to a lesser extent, of other countries.)

We need to be seen as the reasonable ones, who have put in place a proposal that deals with the reason the backstop is seen to need to exist. "If we do x, then you won't need the backstop, so let's do x, and we can all avoid a nasty recession".
    How could those idiots ever be seen as reasonable, they are showboating and threatening as if they actually had some power.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869
    Afternoon all :)

It does the LDs no harm to be attacked by Labour or the Conservatives because it means they are being noticed. When the then Conservative Chairman Norman Tebbit launched a day of attacks on the Alliance in 1987 all it did was push the Alliance rating up.

The more the duopoly looks like two cheeks of the same arse the better. It also confirms the view Labour's biggest ally is the Conservatives and vice versa - the relationship is almost symbiotic.

Meanwhile, a regional poll has appeared in Canada. Quebec has 78 ridings out of the 338 so not insignificant. In 2015, the Liberals won 40 seats on 35.7% of the vote with the NDP winning 16 seats on 25.4%, the Bloc Quebecois (BQ) won 10 seats on 19.3% and the Conservatives took 12 seats on 16.7%. The Greens won 2.3%.

The Leger poll (easy for me to say) puts the Liberals on 36% (nc), BQ on 22% (+3), the Conservatives on 21% (+4), the Greens on 10% (+8) and the NDP on 7% (-18).

The NDP looks set to lost most if not all their 16 seats but the swing from Liberal to Conservative is only 2% so there's no Conservative sweep on offer though they will probably share in feeding on the NDP carcass along with BQ and the Liberals.

The problem for the Tories is gains will be offset by the other parties also gaining from the NDP so the net effect may be minimal.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    justin124 said:

Corbyn is clearly unpopular , but Johnson is far less popular than May was in April 2017 . As a result, the relative popularity of the leaders may matter less than two years ago. The Tory lead is also much smaller than was the case early in that campaign..

Labour is polling below even early 2017 levels though and the LDs far higher so the anti Tory vote is split
  • Options
    Tabman said:

In 1983, the Alliance famously polled 25.4% and won 23 seats; Labour polled 27.6% and got 209.

How do you think it would play out if the LDs won a higher vote share than Labour, but, say, 1/5th of the seats?

It would be a real Hoot
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

That sounds eminently plausible, with the proviso that Scotland is different.

But lets go with Ipsos Mori: 33 / 24 / 23 / 10 / 4

Which, looking at the non-Scottish, non Northern-Irish seats gives:

C - 328
    L - 126
    LD - 111
    BXP - 9
    G - 1

Which is probably a little too high for the LDs and BXP, and a little too low for L, but is otherwise about right.
    LOL, "just a little too high " and "lets ignore reality"
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Charles said:

Noo said:

If only you did
    Well that is kind of you. I appreciate it must be pleasant to live in la la land, but one day you have to grow up and live in the real world. By the way, more evidence today that Boris doesn't believe either. Cynical and annoying isn't it? Leavers thought they could point to someone that isn't dumb (even though he acts it), and it turns out that his old school chum tells us that Boris only supported leave because he thought they would lose and it would make him look good ! Hilarious!
  • Options
    edited September 2019

isam said:

I seem to be the only one bugged by it, but using C2DE=working class means the group with the fewer workers is working class.

The result is the interests of workers are rarely considered. Helping "working class" or "C2DE"s is treated as helping workers, when it is disproportionately negative for them. Then pensioners and the unemployed get further assistance beyond that.
    The latest published Yougov figures have the Tories on 33% with ABC1s and 31% with C2DEs so even under Boris they still do fractionally better with middle class than working class voters though in reality the Tories now do about the same with both.

The LDs are far more middle class than the Tories though, on 22% with ABC1s but only 13% with C2DEs.

Labour is still fractionally more working class on 24% with C2DEs to 22% with ABC1s but the Brexit Party is now the real working class party on 24% with C2DEs and just 8% with ABC1s.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/09/11/voting-intention-con-32-lab-23-lib-dem-19-brex-14-
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

The latest published Yougov figures have the Tories on 33% with ABC1s and 31% with C2DEs so even under Boris they still do fractionally better with middle class than working class voters though in reality the Tories now do about the same with both.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/09/11/voting-intention-con-32-lab-23-lib-dem-19-brex-14-
    The infidels will be slaughtered
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

As usual random polling numbers addressing none of the questions raised in the post above.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

isam said:

As usual random polling numbers addressing none of the questions raised in the post above.
    HYUFD is a bot
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Tabman said:

On a GB basis , the Alliance polled 26% and Labour received 28.2%.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Site is full of bollox about polls at present. Mass hysteria over the Lib Dems, dreams of Labour getting skelped by ignoring what happened last time and that without the buffoon.
  • Options
    Leo Varadkar seems to be keeping his nose very clean from overtly condemning Boris' new deal, leaving Coveney to go around in the role of grinch. Leaves him free to swoop in and agree things at the 11th hour.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Scott_P said:
    There must be a chance Emily Thornberry or Tom Watson must gather together the grey suits team to tell him enough is enough. I guess never having to make a significant decision has dulled his ability to make them but it looks bloody awful
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869

There has always been this politics angle in the process. The Party which "successfully" (and that needs a lot of qualifying) engineered our exit from the EU has always stood to gain significant electoral advantage and this has with time only increased with the emergence of the Overwithers.

Those opposed to that Party may ironically not be opposed to the Deal per se but would be opposed to giving electoral advantage to their opponents. The governing party would need to find a way to disclaim all credit for the successful,achievement of the Deal and not to seek to gain political advantage from the successful departure.

Had the A50 process been a cross party exercise this wouldn't matter but for the Conservatives the trap has been to try to seek political advantage from the process of departure. Manifestly seeking to claim credit isn't going to endear you to those who don't support you and when you don't have the Parliamentary numbers it becomes even more absurd and it encourages your opponents to play the political game and frustrate you.
  • Options

Chris said:

The key question is how many of the 21 rebels would vote for a deal? I don't think Grieve or Clarke would but most of the others probably would having voted for May's deal previously. It would then come down to how many Lab MPs could be persuaded to vote for it.
  • Options

isam said:

Someone pointed out earlier that the Taliban aren't from the "Middle East".. it's as blatant a "they all look the same" type gaffe as you're likely to get, and I have to say, yet again, imagine the reaction if it had been Farage
    Lighten up, the joke wouldn't have worked otherwise.
    Agree, it's funny, but getting the Middle East bit wrong provides the ideal Labour clapback. Of course, Farron could have said Islamist.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Corbyn is clearly unpopular , but Johnson is far less popular than May was in April 2017 . As a result, the relative popularity of the leaders may matter less than two years ago. The Tory lead is also much smaller than was the case early in that campaign..

Labour is polling below even early 2017 levels though and the LDs far higher so the anti Tory vote is split
    That depends on the poll - Yougov had Labour on 23% in April 2017. Recent polls have Labour in the range of 21% (Yougov) - 30% 9ICM). Most have the party in the mid- late 20s - broadly similar to April 2017 with the Tories much lower.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,556

Chris said:

The key question is how many of the 21 rebels would vote for a deal? I don't think Grieve or Clarke would but most of the others probably would having voted for May's deal previously. It would then come down to how many Lab MPs could be persuaded to vote for it.
    It's the best hope for a sane deal; Simon Jenkins is a rare island of sanity in the Guardian which is increasingly giving the impression of being written by and for narrow minded obsessive lunatics.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

If you read Arlene's comments, she's sounding like she's OK with the backstop so long as Stormont can vote for Northern Ireland to leave it. (Which, from a practical perspective, means Northern Ireland will never leave the backstop, as it will have the flexibility of British regulation in areas like employment law, yet be a part of the Single Market. I would load up on Belfast property in that scenario.)

Would Francois and Baker vote for this? I don't know. And I think there are precious few Labour-ites who'd want to support Boris, because Tory Brexit.
    A vote on the Queen's Speech would occur before any deal can be presented to Parliament - and the Government could well be defeated.A VNOC would then follow..
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

That depends on the poll - Yougov had Labour on 23% in April 2017. Recent polls have Labour in the range of 21% (Yougov) - 30% 9ICM). Most have the party in the mid- late 20s - broadly similar to April 2017 with the Tories much lower.
    Both the latest polls from Yougov and Mori have Labour under 25%, Yougov now have the LDs ahead of Labour this week too
  • Options
    justin124 said:

A vote on the Queen's Speech would occur before any deal can be presented to Parliament - and the Government could well be defeated.A VNOC would then follow..

We may be treated to the delicious spectacle of the head-bangers frothing with indignation because they've been denied the opportunity to vote for a deal.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

HYUFD said:

isam said:

As usual patronising crap from you (and it was Isam's post which preceded it I was really replying to)
  • Options

Chris said:

Clarke voted for May's deal - so might well do so again. Much less likely to be true of Grieve, Greening, Sandbach, Bebb and possibly Burt.They now owe Boris absolutely nothing - and revenge might be sweet!
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Both the latest polls from Yougov and Mori have Labour under 25%, Yougov now have the LDs ahead of Labour this week too
    Are
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Are you supporting the Democrats now?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Yougov have been out of line for months - at the end of July it had Labour on 19%.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

This is bizarre:

We have a Home Secretary who said we should threaten Ireland with food shortages...
  • Options
    I've come across a stat very relevant to this thread. JC's rating went from -45 to +6 over the course of the GE17 campaign. Imagine that. In fact you don't have to imagine since it happened. And only 2 years ago. So why would this not happen again, at least to an extent? My sense is that Corbyn is somebody who comes alive in an election, any election, remember his Labour leadership campaigns too? He's all about elections. You think he's nothing special, based on how he is when there isn't one on, and then - bam - when the time cometh so cometh does the man. He is not unlike a major music star in this regard. For example, Michael Buble. Buble, off stage, is quiet, unassuming, the sort of guy you'd barely notice. But when he takes the stage, mic in hand, different story. He becomes electric, formidable.
This discussion has been closed.