Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Maggie Thatcher 1979 experience: Why leader and “best P

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited March 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Maggie Thatcher 1979 experience: Why leader and “best PM” ratings are not necessarily the best guide to how people will vote

The Times is leading on polling about Ed Miliband’s PM ratings which are not good for Labour. There is no doubt that on almost every measure when put up against Cameron he does worse – sometimes by quite a margin.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    Very good point about better PM. That was new to me.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Seriously Mike, you are trying to compare the first ever female Opposition Leader of a major UK political party, and one who back in the 70's then had to battle through a second far tougher glass ceiling to became the first female PM to Ed Miliband and his current personal polling position today?!! Desperate, just desperate.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Miliband's poor best PM ratings seem to be because of a large number of don't know's.

This is very different to people choosing Cameron over him.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Is the data above comparable to the good/bad performance analysis, which I would have thought is more relevant (this looks like a forced choice on PM which would be one of many factors voters consider, albeit an important one).

If you look at the favourability stats, the important thing is that I don't think there is a linear relationship.

Bit crap vs horrifically crap: bit crap wins hands-down
    Both meh: not a very important factor

The question is then is EdM someone that you think would be actively bad as PM, both in absolute terms and in relation to Cameron. If the answer to both is 'yes' then it can have a significant impact on voting
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited March 2014
    Well, if the vast Salmond/Gray gap in the polling does not explain the astonishing SNP landslide of 2011, what does? This is an important question, because nearly everybody, both in the SNP and opponents, regularly trot out the catastrophic Iain Gray as the explanation for the unprecedented events of May 2011.

This is a genuine inquiry, because if Mike Smithson is right (and his piece is very convincing), we have to totally rethink the events of 2010/11, when the SNP reeled in and overtook an enormous Labour poll lead.

I suspect that the answer lies in the word competence. When Labour were exposed to the media spotlight of the final 4-week campaign it became increasingly obvious that not only Gray, but his entire frontbench team and most of the rest of the party did not have the faintest clue about what they wanted to do if they got back into government. They only had one policy: hating the SNP. For most voters that simply does not cut the mustard for a party aspiring to govern.
  • Options

Miliband's poor best PM ratings seem to be because of a large number of don't know's.

Is that really true? If so, you make an important point.

Johann Lamont has been a smidgin ahead of Alex Salmond in a few polls over the last year. But only if you look at the headline figures. Delve a little into the statistics and you find that nearly everybody in Scotland has heard of and has an opinion on Salmond, Sturgeon and Cameron, whereas remarkably large numbers of respondents have never even heard of Lamont, Davidson or Rennie.

For Davidson and Rennie that is not a problem. Their parties are speciality, niche products designed for tiny target markets. For Lamont's party however, her invisibility is a problem, because they need to appeal to the mass market. She can hide (or rather be hidden) for 2 or 3 years, but not forever.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

We can cherry pick bits of info.
    41% think Miliband is weird, no wonder they don't think he would be a good PM.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I agree that the Conservatives put too much hope in this, not least because Ed Miliband is better than the public imagines and may impress them if they take a second look at him.

But the polling in today's Times states that only 19% of the public think Ed Miliband looks like a Prime Minister in waiting, while 63% disagree. Even among Labour voters only 49% agree. Only 26% of the public think that Labour is ready for government. This are serious weaknesses.

Will the public hold their noses and vote en masse for someone that they just don't rate? Labour has to hope either that they will or that sufficient numbers will change their mind about Ed Miliband so that it doesn't matter. Personally, I regard the chances of the latter as more likely than the former.
  • Options
    O/T

Brandenburg is very big. And flat. With lots of trees.

Can't wait to get back to France :)
  • Options
    sussexedsussexed Posts: 2
    1979 was a very different era. antifrank is right, the stats are worrying for Labour no matter how you try to dress it up Mike.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Wasn't John Major also ahead of Blair as 'best PM' in 1997 and we all know how that turned out.

MORI's net ratings on leader doing well/badly have a far better track-record as predictors than the PM question (I'm with Mike...and tim...that the measure is pretty meaningless), but as we get closer to the election itself, it is surely the pure VI polls that should guide us.
  • Options
    These days people vote for their own self interest. Ultimately if they think Milliband as PM is going to benefit them compared to Cameron as PM they will vote him in regardless.

Remember that the electorate has had a bad experience of vacuous pretty leaders. Blair looked the part, as did Clegg, but proved to be all looks and no substance. Cameron was elected specifically to be Blair for the Tories, failed to win the unlosable election, and managed to lie so badly that a critical chunk of his own electorate defected to another party.

Looks aren't everything.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited March 2014
    Those thatcher numbers would contain a significant element of misogyny. It may only be 5 years ago, but it shows how far we have come that we can forget this. "A woman Prime Minister? Pah - I'd rather have unburied dead Crisis? What crisis? than a woman Prime Minister."

This might explain why the gap grew so markedly when certain parts of the population woke up to the impending reality and then actuality of a woman Prime Minister. It probably took the Falklands to show what a women Prime Minister would do o banish this as a factor.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    Charles said:

O/T

Lol

hate to say it Chales but I like Brandenburg and I'd ditch France ! I love the old Prussiian core, the historic market towns and that kind of sparse Lutheran bleakness. You should read up on your German writers.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Will the public hold their noses and vote en masse for someone that they just don't rate?

1992 and Neil Kinnock shows that when push comes to shove, the voters will go for an underwhelming but safe-pair-of-hands Tory rather than an unlikeable Lefty.

And Kinnock at least had the power of rhetoric to call upon. Ed Miliband - not so much...

"Elect me - by the Power of Rubiks. Cubed!"
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited March 2014
    Both John Major and Jim Callaghan were popular, genial fellows. Both were leading chaotic infighting parties that had run out of ideas. Both faced parties with less popular leaders but coherent manifestos and clear agendas. The latter outweighed the former when it came to a vote.

Miliband has neither advantage over Cameron at present. He is personally less popular and has no coherent policy agenda. Labour can state what it is against, but not what it is for. Cameron's government has plenty of ideas and for all its difficulties does not have the broken look of 79 Labour or 97 Tories.

There is also the issue of sexism. Mrs T was not taken seriously by many in 79 as there was still a lot of disbelief that a woman could be a capable leader. This took a while to fade. I had an uncle who said he would emigrate in 79 if Maggie got elected, he was so against being led by a woman. He changed his mind later and became quite a fan.
    JohnO said:

Wasn't John Major also ahead of Blair as 'best PM' in 1997 and we all know how that turned out.

MORI's net ratings on leader doing well/badly have a far better track-record as predictors than the PM question (I'm with Mike...and tim...that the measure is pretty meaningless), but as we get closer to the election itself, it is surely the pure VI polls that should guide us.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Yes .... yes but in the end the denizens of PB know full well that :

Ed Miliband will never be Prime Minister.

All the rest is political flotsam, jetsam, piffle and pants.
  • Options

Charles said:

O/T

Lol

hate to say it Chales but I like Brandenburg and I'd ditch France ! I love the old Prussiian core, the historic market towns and that kind of sparse Lutheran bleakness. You should read up on your German writers.
    You haven't spent the last 6 months commuting to Hannover!

The next six months I was looking forward to splitting between Bordeaux and Paris. And yet I end up back in f****** Germany.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Here's the Guardian's take on the Labour party's current position:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/25/labour-slow-politics-editorial

"The moment, which was always going to come, where the lines for earnings and prices cross cannot be far away.

The thing that really should frighten Labour is how unprepared for this moment it sounds. After all, the only surprise is that pay has not already picked up. But just as Ed Balls floundered in replying to the autumn statement, as he struggled to update his "flatlining" script, Mr Miliband's much-criticised budget response relied too much on the same living standards record he has been playing for years. It is not that this is the wrong subject. Long years of getting poorer will not be undone the moment that pay rises bump back ahead of prices. The Ronald Reagan question – are you better off than you were four years ago? – will retain its punch right up to polling day. But as the ground stops falling from under family finances, voters will become more discerning.

In the previous mood of panic it was enough for an opposition party to proclaim that it felt the people's pain. Amid a recovery, the electorate needs convincing that anyone asking to be handed the economic controls has a practical plan for accelerating and sustaining the progress in prospect. When he daubs with a very broad brush, Mr Miliband can sometimes paint the outline of just such a plan. Two favoured themes of his leadership have been inequality and "predatory capitalism", both things which it can be reasonably argued are holding the living standards of most of the people below where they need to be. Skewed growth, disproportionately grabbed by the top, was causing middling pay rates to stagnate even before the overall average collapsed in the slump. And there is clearly every chance that Britain's unreformed capitalism will, as it recovers, again deliver growth for the few.

The weakness, as policy reviews bubble away half-forgotten in the background, is a failure to translate these themes into anything that might be called a programme. The shadow cabinet has never been energised to fill in the blanks as it should have been. The reaction to last week's budget demonstrated that the huge constituency of savers, necessarily sacrificed to near-zero interest rates over the recessionary years, is now almost pathetically grateful for any attention. A sharper Labour operation would have identified their neglect, and produced its own proposals some time ago; instead, the party was caught unprepared by a pension reform that was actually in the Tory manifesto. Six months down the line, as wages rise and election day looms, things are not going to be easier, but will get tougher than now for the opposition. To stay in the game, what Labour needs is less new principles than a new spirit of fight over the practicalities."
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

O/T

Lol

The next six months I was looking forward to splitting between Bordeaux and Paris. And yet I end up back in f****** Germany.
    Well we did rather re-arrange Hannover's architecture. You should get some clients in the South, BW or Bavaria, wine women and Hefeweizen.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    The crucial distinctions - and ones the figures don't fully pick up - are (1) *by how much* people feel A to be a better potential prime minister than B, and (2) how many view one but not the other as good enough.

For example, there might be a gap of 65-35 in the 'best PM' ratings, but if most of the 65 view A as only a little better than B, it won't make much difference to the overall voting intention. On the other hand, if far more believe that there's a substantial difference in abilities, it could prove decisive.

Likewise, there'd be a big impact on the VI figures between a situation where most voters viewed both potential PMs as up to the job, against one where a large number viewed one as not up to it, even if the headline preferences were the same.

Miliband is a mini-Brown. He is an excellent back-room operator and has a fine awareness of how power works. He may even be briefly popular, as Brown was on occasion (summer 2007, for example). However, his manner makes him difficult to like. It's possible he may win one election, either by default or by capturing a moment. If he does, he doesn't have a hope in hell of winning a second.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Labour's ENTIRE manifesto for 2015 can already be revealed.

1. Brothers, we aren't THE TORIES (theatrical sneer of loathing with implied superiority).

2. Er....

3. That's it.

Which class-war rabble rousing might be better received if it were the battle cry of Woolfie from Tooting, instead of the weird One Nation millionaire son of a north London Marxist intellectual.

Who, er, knifed his brother. Brothers.
  • Options
    I think Miliband does have plenty of ideas, what he does not have is an agreed programme for government, not least because Balls has different ideas. He also lacks the ability to communicate his vision.

I quite like Ed Miliband, but think DH is right about any popularity of his would wear thin very quickly.

The crucial distinctions - and ones the figures don't fully pick up - are (1) *by how much* people feel A to be a better potential prime minister than B, and (2) how many view one but not the other as good enough.

For example, there might be a gap of 65-35 in the 'best PM' ratings, but if most of the 65 view A as only a little better than B, it won't make much difference to the overall voting intention. On the other hand, if far more believe that there's a substantial difference in abilities, it could prove decisive.

Likewise, there'd be a big impact on the VI figures between a situation where most voters viewed both potential PMs as up to the job, against one where a large number viewed one as not up to it, even if the headline preferences were the same.

Miliband is a mini-Brown. He is an excellent back-room operator and has a fine awareness of how power works. He may even be briefly popular, as Brown was on occasion (summer 2007, for example). However, his manner makes him difficult to like. It's possible he may win one election, either by default or by capturing a moment. If he does, he doesn't have a hope in hell of winning a second.

• Options

Those thatcher numbers would contain a significant element of misogyny. It may only be 5 years ago, but it shows how far we have come that we can forget this. "A woman Prime Minister? Pah - I'd rather have unburied dead Crisis? What crisis? than a woman Prime Minister."

This might explain why the gap grew so markedly when certain parts of the population woke up to the impending reality and then actuality of a woman Prime Minister. It probably took the Falklands to show what a women Prime Minister would do o banish this as a factor.

To be fair, that worked both ways. There were plenty of women who voted Conservative in 1979 precisely because Thatcher was Tory leader.
  • Options

To be fair, that worked both ways. There were plenty of women who voted Conservative in 1979 precisely because Thatcher was Tory leader.

Yes, but the weirdest group of all were those women who thought a woman wasn't up to the job of being Prime Minister. Maybe it was just all that conditioning by men, but you met plenty of them.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Crap Ed v the Toxic Tories. Should be fun!

Disagree with David Herdson about EdM being re-elected simply because if the Tories do lose office in 2015 the resultant civil war will be brutal.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

O/T

Lol

Well we did rather re-arrange Hannover's architecture. You should get some clients in the South, BW or Bavaria, wine women and Hefeweizen.
    The North Germans are the ones with the money...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

O/T

Lol

You can't have been looking very hard in the south!!!

• Options
    Some good points in this discussion. I certainly think the pollsters need to refine the question in terms of "how important is this to you?" or some such. I suspect there is something very wrong with any incumbent who can't run well ahead of an Opposition leader who has never slept in Downing Street. Shows how wise Labour was to keep Wilson despite the 1970 defeat!

David Herdson alludes to Labour's real problem in his last sentence. Labour is seen as the party of "equality" or at least fairness & the provision of a safety net. But that is not necessarily wanted in a multi-racial society - and that's what's underneath all political change this century - the replacement of class by race as the bedrock political driver. Labour is seen as the party non-whites vote for, and the Tories have the priceless advantage that they can let UKIP do their dirty work for them in respect of the white non-graduate electorate on this issue.

It is also clear that Murdoch is backing the Tories harder now than he did last time. Perhaps this is James taking over from Rupert...
  • Options
    Final thought before heading to work (where I don't have posting opportunities any more):

It would be really helpful if the polling companies reset the question to be something like "On a scale of 0 to 10, where 10 is outstanding, 0 is appalling and 5 is adequate, how would you rate X's suitability to be prime minister?".

I'd then be looking at three metrics:

1. The gap in average net score.
    2. The gap in the splits between 0-4 (unsuitable) and 5-10 (suitable).
    3. The numbers in the 0-2 range (will not support / may actively vote against the party on the basis of its leadership) and 8-10 (likely to vote for the party on the basis of its leadership).
  • Options

Charles said:

The south Germans' money is in Switzerland....

• Options
    I'm sure OGH has the thread hidden down his trousers for later but just to remind PBers that the LBC part of Clegg-Farage Debate is on tonight, live on a variety of platforms :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26737934
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

O/T

Lol

I thought BW and BY were the rich places ? Hamburg's rich but in a small city state kind of way. The South's all luxury cars and high tech businesses.

However if you're feeling bad about Hannover my btother's been working about 100km from you for the last year on a 2 week on one week off basis. The travelling's just starting to get to him.
  • Options
    The election remains about the economy. You either believe in the paper recovery - in which case you think Osborne is doing great and Ed is rubbish - or live in the supermarket recovery where there is no recovery in wages disposable income and hope. Indeed a telling set of data out the the budge was that although CPI shows wages growth RPI doesn't through the rest of the decade. And inflation of living coats is one of Osborne's few consistent policies so excluding its effects from reality seems rather daft.

We've been here before. No matter how many times you tell people feeling the pinch they are better off, it doesn't actually make it so
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    The only time I flew to Hannover, from Schiphol, I was the only person on the plane. I got to the gate thinking "bugger - they've gone without me!" But no, it was just me.

So I got personalised messages from the Captain, who - having sent the aircrew home - acted as cabin staff and wandered down the aisle to present me with my snack.

But that isn't the reason it was a memorable flight. No. This would never happen now, but they left the door open to the cockpit. This was important because VERY close to the starboard wing there appeared to be another plane, pacing us.

Which was obviously troubling the pilot and co-pilot, who I could see through the open door were looking at this plane with some concern. They told me they had radioed the ground radar and been told the plane was actually the required distance away, but there were some weird atmospherics acting as a lens to magnify this other plane. No, the pilot didn't sound convinced either...

Also, as we came in to land, they played Johnny Horton's song "We're Gonna Sink the Bismarck". Top weird flight.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    One of the major advantages that Mrs T had was a strong cabinet bristling with ideas about what needed to be done about the parlous position that Britain was in. Callaghan was cripplied by the IMF loan in the same way the tories were by Black Wednesday a generation later where Major's personal popularity did not stop a thrashing. Leadership was less presidential in those days and the strength of the team outweighed many of the concerns about Maggie herself.

Fast forward to 2014 and there is no question that politics has got more presidential, a trend only confirmed by the leaders' debates. I therefore think peoples' perceptions of Ed will be more significant. Even if I am wrong in that the team argument really does not apply.

Who, in the Shadow Cabinet, stands out as a competent performer? Douglas Alexander sounds reasonably coherent generally and Chuka Umunna has some good days as well as some bad. Sadiq Khan looked like he had some potential but his focus seems to be elsewhere. Andy Burnham did well against Lansley but has been rather owned by Hunt as has Tristam Hunt by Gove.

The reality is that the majority of the public will only have heard of Balls and possibly Burnham. And that is going to do Ed no good at all.

In 1979 the tories had a clear and consistent message. Blair also had such a message although it was a lot more superficial and generated less change. Ed still seems to be trying to find his voice.

My final thought on this is that one of the problems that Cameron had in 2010 was that any concept of novelty had already worn off and some of the strains of holding together such a disparite internal coalition were starting to show. Ed has the same problem. Parties would be well advised not to rush changing their leaders early in the Parliament. Even Clegg looked plausible for a while.
  • Options

Charles said:

The south Germans' money is in Switzerland....

Five minutes in Stuttgart or Munich would disabuse you of that notion.

• Options

The election remains about the economy. You either believe in the paper recovery - in which case you think Osborne is doing great and Ed is rubbish - or live in the supermarket recovery where there is no recovery in wages disposable income and hope. Indeed a telling set of data out the the budge was that although CPI shows wages growth RPI doesn't through the rest of the decade. And inflation of living coats is one of Osborne's few consistent policies so excluding its effects from reality seems rather daft.

We've been here before. No matter how many times you tell people feeling the pinch they are better off, it doesn't actually make it so

Indeed. Murdoch (and "The Daily Mail") are hoping that bullying and scare tactics will overcome this. (I suspect that a few posters here are hoping to copy Paul Staines & get jobs with them...) On David Herdson's 0-10 scale - a far more elegant way of saying what I was trying to say in my previous post - I think I'm a 7 as far as the likelihood of these tactics to work is concerned.

• Options

Some good points in this discussion. I certainly think the pollsters need to refine the question in terms of "how important is this to you?" or some such. I suspect there is something very wrong with any incumbent who can't run well ahead of an Opposition leader who has never slept in Downing Street. Shows how wise Labour was to keep Wilson despite the 1970 defeat!

David Herdson alludes to Labour's real problem in his last sentence. Labour is seen as the party of "equality" or at least fairness & the provision of a safety net. But that is not necessarily wanted in a multi-racial society - and that's what's underneath all political change this century - the replacement of class by race as the bedrock political driver. Labour is seen as the party non-whites vote for, and the Tories have the priceless advantage that they can let UKIP do their dirty work for them in respect of the white non-graduate electorate on this issue.

It is also clear that Murdoch is backing the Tories harder now than he did last time. Perhaps this is James taking over from Rupert...

The Times has certainly become more explicitly Tory, but that's more to do with the editor than Murdoch. Disagree with you about race. It all boils down to economics in the end, not skin colour.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Yes it would be foolish to rely on one set of numbers, or one leader trumping another, when planning the victory parties.

But what about all the other numbers (in no particular order)?

Best PM
    Best Chancellor
    Best party on the economy (top issue)
    Labour's reliance on former Lib Dems
    Labour's reliance on people who didn't vote in 2010
    Labour's reliance on young voters
    Tories more likely to vote (and vice versa)
    Economy growing but fragile
    Labour's ball and chain of blame
    Half the Tory defectors saying they would switch back to stop Miliband

And before the election campaign even starts...

There is a small chance that people (or certain people) will warm to Miliband in time, but I think there is a greater chance that he will continue to be a drag on Labour's vote. Even if it's only among Labour members and MPs would probably want someone who hasn't got his head in the sky.

Question also is whether the media is getting more presidential or less.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Fox,

"Both faced parties with less popular leaders but coherent manifestos and clear agendas. The latter outweighed the former when it came to a vote."

Exactly. In 1979, I voted Labour with a heavy heart knowing the Tories led by Pol Pot would still have won. We could make many excuses for the "winter of discontent", but that election was never about leaders.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    @RochdalePioneers‌ "The supermarket recovery of hope" has something of a "quiet bat people" ring to it :)
  • Options
    They're needed because people are thought to be scared to get into trains without a human driver. Even though that's the safe way to travel.

It's also a warning to all those who think that people vote rationally.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

Johann Lamont has been a smidgin ahead of Alex Salmond in a few polls over the last year. But only if you look at the headline figures. Delve a little into the statistics and you find that nearly everybody in Scotland has heard of and has an opinion on Salmond, Sturgeon and Cameron, whereas remarkably large numbers of respondents have never even heard of Lamont, Davidson or Rennie.

For Davidson and Rennie that is not a problem. Their parties are speciality, niche products designed for tiny target markets. For Lamont's party however, her invisibility is a problem, because they need to appeal to the mass market. She can hide (or rather be hidden) for 2 or 3 years, but not forever.
    Stuart, Lamontable is dire , she cannot even speak. I was at the Scottish cabinet meeting yesterday listening to real politician's, being asked real questions by real voters. This is something Lamont would not and could not ever do. Alex Salmond was on great form, was just a pity I did not have time to join him for a cup of tea afterwards.
    SNP will continue to thrash Labour for the forseeable.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031

They're needed because people are thought to be scared to get into trains without a human driver. Even though that's the safe way to travel.

Would you fly on a plane without pilots?
  • Options
    AnatoleAnatole Posts: 2
    Mike - you correctly raise this issue but I feel the output of your analysis is too unrefined.

Back in 1979, Callaghan was a "preferred PM" because he was much more "likeable" - important, but only one factor. Thatcher, whilst she failed in any PR attempts to paint herself as a likeable, was not doubted for her efficacy or drive. Indeed, if anything, she was probably too much so for some people. However given the circumstances of near crisis which pervaded the political atmosphere, Thatcher's vision won out.

Today, Cameron probably still retains an edge in terms of likeability (notwithstanding the oafish attempts from certain parts of the media to stir up the issue of his background); but more importantly it is the competency question in which he and his administration undoubtedly have the edge in opinion. People would marginally prefer to meet Cameron in the pub than Miliband, for sure. But what they really fear is Miliband's percieved lack of coherence on major issues - this is the Conservative hope. It may well not be enough to win the election, but it will play a part.

Thus whilst the "Best Leader / Best PM" question is useful, it has its limits. Any real analysis would have to dig deeper than the headline question into sub-segments.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

It will happen eventually, as will driverless cars.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Good morning, everyone.

Welcome to pb.com, Mr. Anatole.

I partly agree. I do think it's worth acknowledging that the world today is wildly different from 1979. The debates make things more presidential, and the internet allows for rapid mockery of seeming or actual gaffes.
  • Options

I presume you mean human pilots. Indeed I have - and went to sleep, too: it was a redeye from Vancouver to LHR. (There were human pilots on the plane, but they spent time in the passenger cabin...) And in Vancouver I rode the Skytrain, which only has a conductor. But all that was in my drinking days!!

• Options
    Ed is clearly crap. How crap?

Well...IMHO he's on the borderline between not really crap enough to affect the Labour vote and actually crap enough that people will, in the poll booth on the day, recoil in large enough numbers to affect the outcome. Which is sort of the worst level of crappiness really as he's not so galactically crap that the decision makes itself or so humungously not crap that the other decision makes itself.

And, I'm sure it's not PC to say so - but people's faces count. They say politics is showbiz for ugly people. Well...Ed's face. It IS a problem.
  • Options

Driverless cars will be common on the roads in the next twenty years, and so will driverless car accidents. The biggest barrier to them is the cost of the technology and perceived (and real) safety issues.

I'm not sure automated passenger planes without pilots will occur in our lifetime. The tech is nearly there (automated take-offs, autopilots and automated landings); I'm not sure the public are ready for it.

Worse, I'm not sure software can easily cover every eventuality that can happen in the air.

It's the old Boeing versus Airbus control philosophies: Boeing prefers the pilot to be firmly in the loop, Airbus prefers the software to have ultimate control.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Stuart, Lamontable is dire , she cannot even speak. I was at the Scottish cabinet meeting yesterday listening to real politician's, being asked real questions by real voters. This is something Lamont would not and could not ever do. Alex Salmond was on great form, was just a pity I did not have time to join him for a cup of tea afterwards.
    Victor Chandler tend to agree with you.

Next Scottish general election - Most seats

SNP 4/6
    Lab 11/10
    Any other 150/1

(Unfortunately VC suddenly closed my account after the May 2011 landslide. I was not alone. Lots of people who made a killing backing SNP candidates had their VC accounts promptly closed. They clearly dislike losing.)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    Minorly pleasurable Indy Yougov last night, all grist to the trend mill.

John Curtice scathing about the Dambusters:

Nicola Sturgeon ‏@NicolaSturgeon 2 hrs
    John Curtice in the Times - 'the no campaign...at risk of becoming an irritating background noise to which nobody listens anymore'
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    In 1979 whilst Callaghan had the nice smiling uncle touch, he and his government were not good at getting things done, at a time when the electorate wanted urgent problems solved immediately and were not prepared to wait any longer. Foot, Kinnock and Hattersly had the same problem (all froth and no substance). Thatcher gave the impression of solidity and that she could and would get things done. People like leaders that lead well.

Of the current lot, both Clegg and Miliband appear to be prevaricators in the extreme. Cameron also lacks a degree of urgency and decisiveness, until he meets a problem and then acts quickly. He needs to be more alert and up his game to win.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789

antifrank said:

Will the public hold their noses and vote en masse for someone that they just don't rate?

1992 and Neil Kinnock shows that when push comes to shove, the voters will go for an underwhelming but safe-pair-of-hands Tory rather than an unlikeable Lefty.

And Kinnock at least had the power of rhetoric to call upon. Ed Miliband - not so much...

"Elect me - by the Power of Rubiks. Cubed!"
    It is the sheer confidence of the Tories that I find interesting. You see it on here daily - if the polls tighten, it's crossover in x days. When they widen again, it's panic, blame the electorate for its stupidity and start murmuring among yourself about how to protect your assets from a Marxist government.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    If we're talking about likeability etc., PB Tories seem to have forgotten that at the last election the choices were between Brown, who was detested virtually everywhere south of the Trent, and Cameron. And yet even then, Cameron was well short of a majority. PB gives a very unrepresentative view of Tory popularity.

What we have is a choice between a PM who has shown himself to be somewhat petulant and thin skinned, with more than a hint of the Marie Antoinette, and the somewhat wonkish Miliband, straight from the Creature Comforts ads. It's not a greatly edifying choice, but ultimately people will vote for the prospectus rather than the person and it will be the prospectus which they perceive will look after their own interests better. If you're under 50 and an employee outside London, I'm not convinced the Tories are offering enough at the moment.
  • Options

I presume you mean human pilots. Indeed I have - and went to sleep, too: it was a redeye from Vancouver to LHR. (There were human pilots on the plane, but they spent time in the passenger cabin...) And in Vancouver I rode the Skytrain, which only has a conductor. But all that was in my drinking days!!

You're talking about an autopilot: there are still pilots (or should have been!) at the controls in case anything went wrong.

One of the smoothest landings I have ever experienced (*) was an automated landing in fog at Singapore. But a failure of Autoland has already cause done fatal crash:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Airlines_Flight_1951

But trains are intrinsically easier to automate than either cars or planes, and should become more commonplace with the advent of modern signalling systems.

(*) I don't fly a great deal. The scariest was a landing at Iasi in Romania, which apparently has a short runway.
  • Options

Ah, the libertarian vision of hell.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    YouGov polling in The Times

Does Ed look like a PM in waiting - Does 19, Doesn't 63, DK 17

These are seriously bad numbers for Miliband, and a front page “Ed is crap” headline on a prestigious newspaper is really not helpful - no matter what spin is put on it.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856
    Morning all :)

This is an argument OGH has used before and it's not without relevance though I would contend each election is different and therefore the factors are different. In 1979, most people realised the Butskellite consensus has failed and a radical change was needed. Margaret Thatcher, albeit on a platform less radical than that of Heath in 1970 who tried the same thing but failed in office, was seen as having the only viable solution.

Blair won in 1997 by convincing millions of Conservative voters that the Labour Party was a non-socialist party of the centre and that people could vote Labour safe in the knowledge that the core tenets of Thatcherism would be respected.

Cameron advanced in 2010 because those who had wealth now feared they would lose it and the Conservative message of cutting spending without raising taxes resonated whereas in the Blair years those with wealth were secure in that wealth and were happy to see largesse to those who were worse off.

For 2015, the onus is going to be whether the meme of austerity resonates - there are those who want an end to austerity if not for themselves then for those who appear to have been hardest hit by the cuts (such as they have been). On the other hand, others will assert that austerity is the path to recovery and needs to be maintained.

I don't think Labour are doing a lot wrong at the moment - the pensions "revolution" may yet be more smoke and mirrors than substance and the argument for living within means is one which resonates but if the balance of paying for that economy is perceived to be shifted toward the wealthiest (fewer of them but can shout louder) it will work well with the Labour base. Ed Miliband may have to heed Jo Grimond's words about marching toward the sound of gunfire.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

SNP 4/6
    Lab 11/10
    Any other 150/1

(Unfortunately VC suddenly closed my account after the May 2011 landslide. I was not alone. Lots of people who made a killing backing SNP candidates had their VC accounts promptly closed. They clearly dislike losing.)
    People understimate the propensity of the Scottish electorate to ticket split between Scottish and General Elections. The Nats need that propensity to reduce, if they are to win most seats at a GE.

• Options

These are seriously bad numbers for Miliband, and a front page “Ed is crap” headline on a prestigious newspaper is really not helpful - no matter what spin is put on it.

Simon, you're probably the last person in the country who thinks that "The Times" is prestigious. It is given away free in coffee shops, FFS.

They will no doubt run this story every week till the election, though. Remind me to write them a letter calling on the Beeb to be sold to News International for £1. Do you think they'd publish it?

• Options
    antifrank said:

I agree that the Conservatives put too much hope in this, not least because Ed Miliband is better than the public imagines and may impress them if they take a second look at him.

But the polling in today's Times states that only 19% of the public think Ed Miliband looks like a Prime Minister in waiting, while 63% disagree. Even among Labour voters only 49% agree. Only 26% of the public think that Labour is ready for government. This are serious weaknesses.

Will the public hold their noses and vote en masse for someone that they just don't rate? Labour has to hope either that they will or that sufficient numbers will change their mind about Ed Miliband so that it doesn't matter. Personally, I regard the chances of the latter as more likely than the former.

This is an excellent post. I agree, and I'd that through it all Ed has this perceived feeling of freshness, despite being leader for years. We know from toxicity polling that Labour is the least disliked of the parties so he'll get a hearing at some point.
    It's very, very hard for an Opposition to find clear air to lay out its policies outside of Conference season, so it may have to wait until then.

As an aside, was interested to see Laura Tennison, founder of Jo Jo Madam Bebe, backing Ed. She voted Tory in 2010 but is now backing Labour, so a pretty high profile and impressive switcher that will appeal to women voters.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,091
    edited March 2014
    Superfast broadband throughout much of the country would also be more economical beneficial and much cheaper than HS2.

My thanks to Shadsy for the seat bets.
  • Options

John Curtice in the Times - 'the no campaign...at risk of becoming an irritating background noise to which nobody listens anymore'

That is a very astute way of putting it. The pathetic BT "Project Fear" effort became "an irritating background noise" sometime last year. You can only cry wolf so many times before everybody stops listening.

The longer they carry on the fewer will listen.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I think Ed's best chance is to be himself.

A hard-working wonk who despite having a privileged background is prepared to dedicate himself to improving people's lot. Make a joke about the phrasing he uses and his resemblance to a plasticine puppet. Just convince voters that he's efficient and his heart is in the right place.

But he still comes over as a manufactured product with soaring ambition. A typical politician, in fact.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited March 2014

It was something I remember seeing in some recent YouGov polls, when I was looking for best Chancellor figures. The tracker is here.

On the question "Which of these would make the best Prime Minister?" Cameron leads Miliband by 34% to 22%. Clegg is on 6% and there are 37% don't knows.

The proportion of people who say Cameron would make the best Prime Minister tends to be a smidgen above their headline poll rating. Miliband's is clearly well below. I don't interpret this to mean that there are many people who say they will vote Labour who prefer Cameron as PM to Miliband, but that there are many voters who remain to be convinced about Miliband.

The question is still open, but I would say that not enough people believe the current Prime Minister would be the best to give that Prime Minister a majority following the next election.

On your question about how this relates to the 2011 Holyrood elections what I would say is that while I do not know Alex Salmond and I cannot claim to be a friend of Alex Salmond, I do know that Cameron is no Alex Salmond.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

SNP 4/6
    Lab 11/10
    Any other 150/1

People understimate the propensity of the Scottish electorate to ticket split between Scottish and General Elections. The Nats need that propensity to reduce, if they are to win most seats at a GE.

The SNP are aiming to have zero MPs at Westminster. We have a good chance of achieving that aim.

• Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382
    DavidL said:

One of the major advantages that Mrs T had was a strong cabinet bristling with ideas about what needed to be done about the parlous position that Britain was in. Callaghan was cripplied by the IMF loan in the same way the tories were by
    Black Wednesday a generation later where Major's personal popularity did not stop a thrashing. Leadership was less presidential in those days and the strength of the team outweighed many of the concerns about Maggie herself.

Fast forward to 2014 and there is no question that politics has got more presidential, a trend only confirmed by the leaders' debates. I therefore think peoples' perceptions of Ed will be more significant. Even if I am wrong in that the team argument really does not apply.

Who, in the Shadow Cabinet, stands out as a competent performer? Douglas Alexander sounds reasonably coherent generally and Chuka Umunna has some good days as well as some bad. Sadiq Khan looked like he had some potential but his focus seems to be elsewhere. Andy Burnham did well against Lansley but has been rather owned by Hunt as has Tristam Hunt by Gove.

The reality is that the majority of the public will only have heard of Balls and possibly Burnham. And that is going to do Ed no good at all.

In 1979 the tories had a clear and consistent message. Blair also had such a message although it was a lot more superficial and generated less change. Ed still seems to be trying to find his voice.

My final thought on this is that one of the problems that Cameron had in 2010 was that any concept of novelty had already worn off and some of the strains of holding together such a disparite internal coalition were starting to show. Ed has the same problem. Parties would be well advised not to rush changing their leaders early in the Parliament. Even Clegg looked plausible for a while.

I agree with you broadly about the shadow cabinet, Alexander is good, Balls is good in certain situations but has to be used strategically, Burnham is damaged goods who he should have moved. What Ed has got though is a few very attractive emerging young ladies on his team of which Rachel Reeves is the most prominent, he can gain some traction using them cleverly in the campaign, they will gain attention just as eye candy.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    Charles said:

Is the data above comparable to the good/bad performance analysis, which I would have thought is more relevant (this looks like a forced choice on PM which would be one of many factors voters consider, albeit an important one).

If you look at the favourability stats, the important thing is that I don't think there is a linear relationship.

The question is then is EdM someone that you think would be actively bad as PM, both in absolute terms and in relation to Cameron. If the answer to both is 'yes' then it can have a significant impact on voting

I think that's a perceptive comment. People think all of us are a bit crap, but the landscape is curiously free of real hate-figures for the first time that I can remember. There were people who really wanted to smash the TV when they saw Thatcher or Brown or a number of others. But almost nobody gets worked up about Cameron or Miliband or anyone else these days. Instead, many people's view of politics has retreated into a sort of dull fatalism: not just the leaders but nearly all of us are seen as a bit meh. That's why people like Boris flourish: if they can't have inspiration, people at least like to be amused,

This is partly because, to be fair, none of the party leaders are under any illusion about the difficult position, and they're maneuvering in a small space of feasible policies. Inspiration on tuppence ha'penny is difficult to achieve. A wild-eyed populist who promised the moon could clean up, but even Farage isn't really quite cynical enough for that.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Seriously Mike, you are trying to compare the first ever female Opposition Leader of a major UK political party, and one who back in the 70's then had to battle through a second far tougher glass ceiling to became the first female PM to Ed Miliband and his current personal polling position today?!! Desperate, just desperate.

Mike Smithson or Fitalass? Which is the more astute and knowledgable analyst? Hmmm... tis a toughie. Mike Smithson or Fitalass? I just can't figure out which one is the heavyweight and which one is the bantamweight.

• Options

If we're talking about likeability etc., PB Tories seem to have forgotten that at the last election the choices were between Brown, who was detested virtually everywhere south of the Trent, and Cameron. And yet even then, Cameron was well short of a majority. PB gives a very unrepresentative view of Tory popularity.

What we have is a choice between a PM who has shown himself to be somewhat petulant and thin skinned, with more than a hint of the Marie Antoinette, and the somewhat wonkish Miliband, straight from the Creature Comforts ads. It's not a greatly edifying choice, but ultimately people will vote for the prospectus rather than the person and it will be the prospectus which they perceive will look after their own interests better. If you're under 50 and an employee outside London, I'm not convinced the Tories are offering enough at the moment.

I was with you all the way until you brought up London. London is a very lefty place, the only region in the country where wealthy ABs vote Labour in great numbers. Just ask SeanT - he lives in an incredibly expensive part of town which is full of Cristal socialists.
  • Options
    macisback said:

DavidL said:

One of the major advantages that Mrs T had was a strong cabinet bristling with ideas about what needed to be done about the parlous position that Britain was in. Callaghan was cripplied by the IMF loan in the same way the tories were by
    Black Wednesday a generation later where Major's personal popularity did not stop a thrashing. Leadership was less presidential in those days and the strength of the team outweighed many of the concerns about Maggie herself.

I agree with you broadly about the shadow cabinet, Alexander is good, Balls is good in certain situations but has to be used strategically, Burnham is damaged goods who he should have moved. What Ed has got though is a few very attractive emerging young ladies on his team of which Rachel Reeves is the most prominent, he can gain some traction using them cleverly in the campaign, they will gain attention just as eye candy.
    Sadly that is true. Although sometimes I think it's women they appeal to rather than men. My wife openly wondered why Luciana Berger, who likes her hair and nails to look tip top, was on Question Time. My wife seemed to find it remarkable that a women who enjoys things other normal women enjoy went into politics.

Reeves, Berger, Reynolds, Creasy, Kendall. A formidable quintet of attractive MPs who will appeal to women voters.
  • Options
    One for SeanT from Prof Curtice:

"It has long been apparent that the currency intervention had not produced any boost for the No side. It is now beginning to look as though the last six weeks may, if anything, have seen the Yes side catch up a little further."

LOL.
  • Options
    Stripping out the "don't knows" from the overnight YouGov Independence Referendum poll gives us :

YES 41.5% .. NO 58.5%

Tick tock ....
  • Options
    "the landscape is curiously free of real hate-figures for the first time that I can remember"

Chris Grayling is giving it a go.
  • Options

That is a very astute way of putting it. The pathetic BT "Project Fear" effort became "an irritating background noise" sometime last year. You can only cry wolf so many times before everybody stops listening.

It is becoming a laughing stock Stuart - depressing to listen to them drone on day after day with their scare stories. The fundamental flaw in the strategy is that not even enthusiastic unionists like myself believe that Scotland wouldn't be a viable nation state. BT needs to make the case for the union.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    1979 was an election in which the incumbent government had lost the plot, no matter how nice Mr Callaghan was. Many people realised that radical change was unavoidable. I do not think we have comparable circumstances now.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Charles said:

I think that's a perceptive comment. People think all of us are a bit crap, but the landscape is curiously free of real hate-figures for the first time that I can remember. There were people who really wanted to smash the TV when they saw Thatcher or Brown or a number of others. But almost nobody gets worked up about Cameron or Miliband or anyone else these days. Instead, many people's view of politics has retreated into a sort of dull fatalism: not just the leaders but nearly all of us are seen as a bit meh. That's why people like Boris flourish: if they can't have inspiration, people at least like to be amused,

This is partly because, to be fair, none of the party leaders are under any illusion about the difficult position, and they're maneuvering in a small space of feasible policies. Inspiration on tuppence ha'penny is difficult to achieve. A wild-eyed populist who promised the moon could clean up, but even Farage isn't really quite cynical enough for that.
    I think this can be summarised as a lack of conviction politicians in the current crop.

ALL are seen as self serving troughers with no interest in the wider country. I think Dave/George has a bit of a boost because they actually came out and said 'We're in the sh1t and we need to act. This will be unpleasant' The electorate are not stupid and knew thisbut Dave and George were the only ones to spell it out. Unfortunately they wasted the goodwill by not being brave enough.

There's only a couple of MP's that seem to have a bit of fire in their blood. Gove is one. Love him or hate him, you can't deny that he has conviction.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

SNP 4/6
    Lab 11/10
    Any other 150/1

Those are extraordinary odds of which I may take advantage.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    So the advice for Ed from the Labourites on here is "cross your fingers - don't worry those evil Tories can't win - the people will see it I'm sure" ?

Good luck.
  • Options
    If the don't knows break like the rest of the electorate then 60:40 it is.

I think that the concept of momentum is an odd one with polling. This is not a vehicle with mass and velocity. If someone else changes their mind about an issue, then why should I?

JackW said:

Stripping out the "don't knows" from the overnight YouGov Independence Referendum poll gives us :

YES 41.5% .. NO 58.5%

Tick tock ....

• Options

They have a duty to point out the complete lack of credibility in what the SNP is saying. But whether Scottish voters want to hear this is another thing entirely. If they do not - and it is certainly beginning to look that way - it suggests to me that the Union has run its natural course rather than that BT have played it all horribly wrong.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Depressing that prettiness is seen as politically important. Miliband should lose because he's an empty-headed idiot whose commodity policy was discredited in the 4th century and who voted against a £26,000 per year limit on benefits. The fact he's not photogenic (I do sympathise, as I share that plight, albeit due to looking like a serial killer rather than Wallace) shouldn't bloody matter.

On an entirely unrelated note, if anyone knows how to make apostrophes curly rather than straight in OpenOffice Writer I'd be delighted to hear it. [Not serious as I can just copy and paste and do that throughout a given document, but that is a bit of a faff to remember at the formatting stage].
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    JackW said:

YES 41.5% .. NO 58.5%

Tick tock ....

' ...if we take the (Yougov) headline numbers at face value, the gap has literally halved over the last seven months, with another six months still to go.'

Tick, and indeed tock.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

macisback said:

DavidL said:

Sadly that is true. Although sometimes I think it's women they appeal to rather than men. My wife openly wondered why Luciana Berger, who likes her hair and nails to look tip top, was on Question Time. My wife seemed to find it remarkable that a women who enjoys things other normal women enjoy went into politics.

Reeves, Berger, Reynolds, Creasy, Kendall. A formidable quintet of attractive MPs who will appeal to women voters.
    Reeves is the only one of that group who has any media profile and frankly she's not exactly a stellar performer.

Part of Labour's problem is their recognized media performers have too much form and the others have no profile.

The difference in the 92/97 years was that Smith, Blair, Brown, Cook and Co had gravitas and a very slick media operation.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

So the advice for Ed from the Labourites on here is "cross your fingers - don't worry those evil Tories can't win - the people will see it I'm sure" ?

Good luck.

Who was giving that advice?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Simon, you're probably the last person in the country who thinks that "The Times" is prestigious. It is given away free in coffee shops, FFS.

They will no doubt run this story every week till the election, though. Remind me to write them a letter calling on the Beeb to be sold to News International for £1. Do you think they'd publish it?

What a lot of absolute tosh, just because a few promotional copies are given away in coffee shops, the paper isn't prestigious...... You are letting your own personal prejudice get in the way,

Strikes me that its good marketing,
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited March 2014
    JackW said:

Reeves is the only one of that group who has any media profile and frankly she's not exactly a stellar performer.

Part of Labour's problem is their recognized media performers have too much form and the others have no profile.

The difference in the 92/97 years was that Smith, Blair, Brown, Cook and Co had gravitas and a very slick media operation.

Creasey is excellent IMO.
  • Options
    JackW said:

BobaFett said:

macisback said:

DavidL said:

Brown did a Sir Alex on Miliband Moyes - left him with a shell with the talent shipped out.

At least Moyes has RVP and Rooney - Labour lost their only asset to Washington NGO FC.

• Options

Depressing that prettiness is seen as politically important. Miliband should lose because he's an empty-headed idiot whose commodity policy was discredited in the 4th century and who voted against a £26,000 per year limit on benefits. The fact he's not photogenic (I do sympathise, as I share that plight, albeit due to looking like a serial killer rather than Wallace) shouldn't bloody matter.

On an entirely unrelated note, if anyone knows how to make apostrophes curly rather than straight in OpenOffice Writer I'd be delighted to hear it. [Not serious as I can just copy and paste and do that throughout a given document, but that is a bit of a faff to remember at the formatting stage].

What does a serial killer look like??
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

You are letting your own personal prejudice get in the way,

The ironic post of the day .
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    So as the air escapes from another Tory poll bounce and PB Tories clasp ever more desperately to results from weaker polling companies like Survation, I'm getting more confident now that on balance of probabilities Labour are going to end up as the largest Party in a Hung Parliament.

That ComRes phone Poll would concern me if I was Tory minded. Tories flat out on their backs and going nowhere.

Anyway back to topic - I'm wondering how much Callaghan's lead was flattered by innate sexism?

But let's not forget that however much she grew into the role and proved misogynists everywhere wrong, Thatcher and her governments remains the principle authors of most of the country's present woes.
  • Options

JackW said:

YES 41.5% .. NO 58.5%

Tick tock ....

' ...if we take the (Yougov) headline numbers at face value, the gap has literally halved over the last seven months, with another six months still to go.'

Tick, and indeed tock.
    My dear Div, if you're happy with them there numbers then I'm happy.

• Options

You are letting your own personal prejudice get in the way,

The ironic post of the day .
    Ha! Quite :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2014
    Mr Wifflestick

Beauty is not merely skin deep. Human beings perceive beauty or ugliness in others for very very deeply ingrained biological reasons. Fair skin is a proxy indicator for ‘disease free’. Height for a life of reasonable diet and strength. There is absolutely a strongly sexual selective element here. Humans judge others according to their looks. BFD!

And as to others who are not potential sexual mates – well we judge them too. We look to body language as an indicator for lying. We trust those with clear eyes. Etc, etc. Images count.

You can say ‘we shouldn’t’ trust the judgment that comes from 6 billion years of evolution – but if Ed Miliband looks like a nerdy, bucktoothed, geeky, spitfreckled loathsome spotted reptile –well, we are going to apply our ‘gut feelings’.

My gut feeling on Ed says ‘eeeeeew!’. One very very valid reason Blair did well was because he was handsome. Ain’t life a bitch!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

So, your only quibble with my post is with the adjective used to describe the ‘Times’ ?

tickled.. : )
  • Options
    Toby Young in salient point shock

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyyoung/100264992/the-conservatives-should-become-the-party-of-beer-bingo-and-lamborghinis/

" try and distill exactly what's so off putting about the finger-wagging puritans of the Left. Never lose an opportunity to emphasise their dourness, their sanctimoniousness, their political correctness .

This is currently territory staked out by Nigel Farage, but the Tories need to reclaim it. (Steve Webb's comment that pensioners should be free to spend their savings on Lamborghinis if they wanted to was a perfect example of this.)

When Miliband unveils his various "vote-winning" policies in the run-up to the next election, the Conservatives need to tease out the puritanical fanaticism that will be lurking just beneath the surface "
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

JackW said:

Creasey is excellent IMO.
    That's as may be. However she has little profile and will she play a big hand in the election campaign - No.

This discussion has been closed.