Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A reminder of how well each pollster did at last month’s Euros

Comments

• Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    What I find interesting about this is that Hunt is not showing any hesitation or reservations about blue on blue criticisms. This suggests to me that he thinks he has a genuine chance and is going for it. If he didn't I think he would be being more tactful and diplomatic about his future boss.

Johnson’s pitch is his character. Hunt is fighting on the territory his opponent has always chosen to fight on.

Indeed. And it has Boris confused.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Dickson, ha. Reminiscent of May being the first person in history to be trapped by her own ambush.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Banks suing Cadwalladr...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

There is no doubt that Hunt is getting a free hit on Boris every time he opens his mouth and at the same time is shaping the narrative.

I mean how lazy/complacent/confident is Boris' team? Hugely must be the answer. Does Boris really fear he will get slaughtered as soon as he opens his mouth?

Surely even they don't think that it can go on for much longer like this. Even Cons party members are not immune from one candidate relentlessly setting the agenda.

Boris Johnson is scared someone will ask him what did he offer/say to the anti No Dealers in the Parliamentary party to get them to back him.

I suspect his answer will upset and enrage the pro No Deal membership.
    Not so sure - as we have seen as locally as here on PB, there is a very willing suspension of disbelief by all sides and I don't doubt Boris' ability to string each faction along until October 32nd. If I had to guess I would say that the anti No Dealers are on safer ground but who the hell knows (and no, @HYUFD you don't know :smile: )
    I suspect Boris Johnson's plan is to go for No Deal but expect Parliament will put the kibosh on that.

He'll be able to say to the ERG and the membership 'Well I tried for an October 31st exit but that perfidious Parliament....'
    Does that keep him as PM?
    Possibly.

I suspect Parliament will not try and replace him with Ken Clarke but instruct him to sign up to a/the customs union and/or membership of the single market.
    It's quite an ask and quite specific - how would it do that?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,377
    edited June 2019
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

There is no doubt that Hunt is getting a free hit on Boris every time he opens his mouth and at the same time is shaping the narrative.

I mean how lazy/complacent/confident is Boris' team? Hugely must be the answer. Does Boris really fear he will get slaughtered as soon as he opens his mouth?

Surely even they don't think that it can go on for much longer like this. Even Cons party members are not immune from one candidate relentlessly setting the agenda.

Boris Johnson is scared someone will ask him what did he offer/say to the anti No Dealers in the Parliamentary party to get them to back him.

Not so sure - as we have seen as locally as here on PB, there is a very willing suspension of disbelief by all sides and I don't doubt Boris' ability to string each faction along until October 32nd. If I had to guess I would say that the anti No Dealers are on safer ground but who the hell knows (and no, @HYUFD you don't know :smile: )
    I suspect Boris Johnson's plan is to go for No Deal but expect Parliament will put the kibosh on that.

He'll be able to say to the ERG and the membership 'Well I tried for an October 31st exit but that perfidious Parliament....'
    Possibly.

I suspect Parliament will not try and replace him with Ken Clarke but instruct him to sign up to a/the customs union and/or membership of the single market.
    It's quite an ask and quite specific - how would it do that?
    Like what happened in March/April, Parliament will seize control of the Parliamentary agenda.

After all Boris Johnson said No Deal was Project Fear, they will be merely holding his feet to the fire.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Yes I also think his plan was to go for no deal and then come over all churchillian and present himself as the national saviour rescuing us from the horrors inflicted by the EU. But the events of the past week have convinced me that he does not have the cojones required to do this and is much more likely to run into the broom cupboard and collapse in a whimpering heap.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

Mr. Eagles, the upside, such as it is, is that if the blues lose, as seems probable, they can blame it on the candidate and not the party collectively.

Mr. Divvie, possible. Could be a combination of that and realising he's promised jam tomorrow, even though the jam will be ready next year at the earliest.

This election might end up rivalling the ‘Don’t vote for the Wizard, vote for the Lizard’ campaign.
    David Duke vs David Icke?

• Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

malcolmg said:

Labour well on way to recovery I see

SLab look well and truly shafted. Unbelievably weak leadership in Scotland, unfit to govern in London, and 10 points down on UK GE 2017, with another UK GE imminent. Add in demotivated, talentless, decimated ground troops and they are about to lie back and think of England.
    Neck and neck with the Tories. I noticed that the Survation subsample came up with - SNP 35 Lab 24 Con 8.
    If you’re happy being neck and neck with the useless Tories, in Scotland (!), then absolutely fine by me.

And when given the choice between a full-sample, properly weighted poll showing SNP 38 Lab 17 Con 18

... or a small, unweighted sub-sample showing SNP 35 Lab 24 Con 8

... even you must understand that most sane folk, and punters, will be trusting the full-sample poll.
    I don't disagree with most of that. My point really was that Labour's wobble in Scotland reflects what has happened in GB as a whole. If Labour's national vote share recovers - as I expect - to at least 35%/36% , that is likely to be also reflected in its vote share in Scotland.
    What gives you ground for expecting that Labour GB-wide are going to recover to 35%? You haven’t even got a cohesive Brexit policy, and don’t look like getting one any time soon.

Only way you might recover fast is if the Tories bounce up to MAJ levels. Ain’t gonna happen.
    I have never been persuaded that the next election will be Brexit dominated in the way assumed by the commentariat. 2017 certainly wasn't - despite that being May's justification for calling it. Other issues will come to the fore with a likely receptive audience - long sick to death of Brexit.
    I’ve got to admire an optimist.
    The Tories and Labour would still prefer not to talk about it. Which is I think why Farage is keeping his powder dry. He doesn't trust BJ, and he doesn't trust that a pre-Brexit GE will resolve anything. What he does know (although it's a huge risk) is that IF he can carry his EU election troops over to a GE, he can win it and put the country out of its misery...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,139

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Possibly.

That is genius! Parliament makes him, by default the Churchillian statesman he claime to be. He really is a clever old soul!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,538

kjohnw said:

Yes, but will they be sure enough on 23rd July that this is their final chance to stop Boris from No Dealing? That will be the gamble they need to think about.

The final chance to stop him no dealing will be at the end of October. If it really came down to it, an ad hoc parliamentary majority could depose him, choose a new PM and revoke Article 50.
    IMO Boris will go for immediate snap election on taking office, offering leaving with renegotiated deal or no deal and no £39billion by 31/10. if he wins majority then we leave on 31/10 come what may. if he loses JC goes 2ref, and IMO will lose such a ref.
    Bottler Boris cannot go for a snap election without two thirds of Parliament consenting.
    I thought you might prefer ‘Jelly Johnson’ for the double entendre ?

• Options
    TOPPING said:
    Super piece by Hastings – whatever one thinks of his politics, a class writer.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

TOPPING said:
    He didn't even sugar the Churchill pill, acknowledging that Churchill wasn't as all-loving to non-white people.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kjohnw said:

Yes, but will they be sure enough on 23rd July that this is their final chance to stop Boris from No Dealing? That will be the gamble they need to think about.

The final chance to stop him no dealing will be at the end of October. If it really came down to it, an ad hoc parliamentary majority could depose him, choose a new PM and revoke Article 50.
    IMO Boris will go for immediate snap election on taking office, offering leaving with renegotiated deal or no deal and no £39billion by 31/10. if he wins majority then we leave on 31/10 come what may. if he loses JC goes 2ref, and IMO will lose such a ref.
    Bottler Boris cannot go for a snap election without two thirds of Parliament consenting.
    I thought you might prefer ‘Jelly Johnson’ for the double entendre ?

Nah, I did toy with using the headline 'BJ sucks' yesterday.

Oh and 'Massive Johnson pulls out'
  • Options

Mr. Dickson, ha. Reminiscent of May being the first person in history to be trapped by her own ambush.

Surely that was Cameron with his bold referendum gambit to see off UKIP and anchor the UK in the EU?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

They'll be selling seats in the public gallery if that one goes to trial.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,211
    Pulpstar said:

Paging Oscar Wilde...

The man is really, REALLY asking for trouble,
  • Options
    Mr. Nick, the referendum was eminently winnable. The dreadful campaigns and apparent complacency from Cameron were telling factors. If he'd insisted the official Leave campaign had to draw up a basic plan, Remain would've won. If the warnings hadn't been so overblown they undermined more credible downsides to leaving, Remain would've won.

Mind you, May could've easily won a landslide, but she decided to run the worst election campaign of modern times. In both cases, one can make a good argument for the decision being sound, but the execution being lamentable.

[I'd argue the reneging on a referendum by Labour is a critical moment too].
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Pulpstar said:

Momentary excitement as I pondered which banks, then disappointment as I realised it was Aaron.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited June 2019
    Amazing how Boris has gone from hyper-efficient in the Commons side of the leadership campaign, to bumbling and clownish since.

Maybe Gavin Williamson should be PM *ducks*
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Is that one of Michael Gove's SATS tests that were abandoned as too hard?
  • Options
  • Options
    I assume Cadwalladr has evidence to back up her assertions, so she must be feeling very confident of winning the case being bought against her by Banks.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Amazing how Boris has gone from hyper-efficient in the Commons side of the leadership campaign, to bumbling and clownish since.

It really is a dismal spectacle.

Is Boris trying to lose?
  • Options
    Andrew said:

That's enough for social services to make an intervention.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

_Anazina_ said:

TOPPING said:
    He didn't even sugar the Churchill pill, acknowledging that Churchill wasn't as all-loving to non-white people.
    Yes, noticed that. Sharp.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,261
    edited June 2019

Mr. Nick, the referendum was eminently winnable. The dreadful campaigns and apparent complacency from Cameron were telling factors. If he'd insisted the official Leave campaign had to draw up a basic plan, Remain would've won. If the warnings hadn't been so overblown they undermined more credible downsides to leaving, Remain would've won.

Mind you, May could've easily won a landslide, but she decided to run the worst election campaign of modern times. In both cases, one can make a good argument for the decision being sound, but the execution being lamentable.

When was the last time the Tories managed to mount a good campaign?

Major in 1992, I guess. Since then they’ve all been risible. You could make a case for 2010, but Cameron was expected to win and lost out first to Cleggmania and then by Brown shoring up his base. 2015 was only won at the LibDems’ expense and they’d achieved that long before the GE.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    The Death Cult isn't happy that a different cult might get first dibs:

https://twitter.com/IsabelOakeshott/status/1143187351243546630
  • Options
    Mr. B2, Cameron was damaged by the debates helping Clegg a lot. His 2010 campaign gained over 100 seats, I think, and his 2015 result exceeded all expectations.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Surely that was Cameron with his bold referendum gambit to see off UKIP and anchor the UK in the EU?
    In fairness, UKIP are in Norwegian Blue territory, and the UK is still in the EU.
  • Options
    Logically that lot is the same as :

There is an opportunity for the new PM to appear before the House before the summer recess. That is the intention of the Gov't.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,730
    edited June 2019

I think they have spent the last six months explaining it. The no dealers are obsessed with winning, the impact on the economy is neither here nor there.
  • Options

Possibly, we can all speculate and if people had acted differently things would have been different. But the fact is that Cameron's referendum plan turned out to be one of the most spectacular failures in British political history. It achieved the polar opposite of Cameron's desired outcome for the EU, the UK and the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    There's more important things than Brexit today.

https://twitter.com/antanddec/status/1143156497347727360
  • Options
    ”He cares for nothing but his own fame and gratification”

“a contempt for truth”

“his graver vice is cowardice”

“contempt for rules, precedent, order and stability”

“of weak character”

“a cavorting charlatan”

“Almost the only people who think Johnson a nice guy are those who do not know him”
  • Options

There's more important things than Brexit today.

https://twitter.com/antanddec/status/1143156497347727360

Anything better than evens on Newcastle going down next season has to be good value.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,039
    TOPPING said:

_Anazina_ said:

TOPPING said:
    Jezza Hunt wants a word.

https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1090277565607170050
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

“a contempt for truth”

“of weak character”

“a cavorting charlatan”

“Almost the only people who think Johnson a nice guy are those who do not know him”
    My favourite is, "he supposes himself to be Winston Churchill, while in reality being closer to Alan Partridge"
  • Options

Mr. B2, Cameron was damaged by the debates helping Clegg a lot. His 2010 campaign gained over 100 seats, I think, and his 2015 result exceeded all expectations.

In 2010 we’d just been through almost unprecedented financial crash. Weighing up the campaign, as distinct from the circumstances of the election, I don’t recall the 2010 Tory one being regarded as good?
  • Options
    Another Bozo stooge on R4. Mercer this time.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited June 2019
    IanB2 said:

When was the last time the Tories managed to mount a good campaign?

Major in 1992, I guess. Since then they’ve all been risible. You could make a case for 2010, but Cameron was expected to win and lost out first to Cleggmania and then by Brown shoring up his base. 2015 was only won at the LibDems’ expense and they’d achieved that long before the GE.
    Not sure the Tory campaign in 1992 was that good - much more a case of Labour messing up. Had Kinnock not lost control at Sheffield, a 2017 type result would have been likely - Tories largest party needing Ulster Unionist support to continue in office.
  • Options
    Mr. B2, the Lib Dems did very well from the debate coverage, which was overwhelming. Brown also performed reasonably in those. The debates were pretty much the campaign.

The result was certainly good for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,300
    Blimey. But, of course, Max once endorsed Tony Blair, so his intervention can be easily dismissed by the Boris faithful.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    IanB2 said:

Imagine them trying to run a General Election campaign like this.
  • Options

Blimey. But, of course, Max once endorsed Tony Blair, so his intervention can be easily dismissed by the Boris faithful.
    I suppose that's the point - while he may or may not be going through a process of demolition by the press and Hunt, the faithful remain faithful. Must be whittling down, though, you would have thought.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

IanB2 said:

“a contempt for truth”

“of weak character”

“a cavorting charlatan”

My favourite is, "he supposes himself to be Winston Churchill, while in reality being closer to Alan Partridge"
    Don’t worry, Phillip Thompson will be along shortly to tell us that Hastings is a proven liar...
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

IanB2 said:

Potentially next month. It would run into the buffers quicker than you can say 'bring back Theresa'.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612

'Bottler Boris' isn't very good. Too hackneyed and the wrong connotations. No-one thinks Boris is like Gordon Brown, you'd be hard-pressed to think of two more different people.

'Frit Boris' might be better. The faithful would pick up the echo.

I think only nerds pick up on the Brown link (now over a decade old) - what it has going for it is memorability, red wine on a sofa and browsing the 2-for-1 wine section of Tesco - all very current.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Potentially next month. It would run into the buffers quicker than you can say 'bring back Theresa'.
    She was strong and stable
  • Options

'Bottler Boris' isn't very good. Too hackneyed and the wrong connotations. No-one thinks Boris is like Gordon Brown, you'd be hard-pressed to think of two more different people.

'Frit Boris' might be better. The faithful would pick up the echo.

I think only nerds pick up on the Brown link (now over a decade old) - what it has going for it is memorability, red wine on a sofa and browsing the 2-for-1 wine section of Tesco - all very current.
    In any case the experience of Theresa May in 2017 vindicated Brown
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I imagine Lynton Crosby is keen to prove that the 2017 disaster wasn't his fault, but he could end up as the common denominator between two failed General Election campaigns.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Mercer I put down to inexperience - but Hancock should know better.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,730
    edited June 2019
    IanB2 said:

Are any of his cabinet backers actively supporting or or they all passive?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    IanB2 said:

Apart from expecting preferment, why an accomplished army officer like Mercer would tie himself to a calamitous liability like Boris is quite beyond me.

• Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    IanB2 said:

In 2010 we’d just been through almost unprecedented financial crash. Weighing up the campaign, as distinct from the circumstances of the election, I don’t recall the 2010 Tory one being regarded as good?
    The Tories were never likley to form a Conservative majority in 2010. They simply had to gain too many seats off Labour to target them all on the scale to be effective. Add to this the LD MPs who were still an opposition party and relatively popular and you can see the Tories were unlikley to get an overall majority.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I'm glad we have first past the post voting, it gives us strong governments.
  • Options

Man of the people......

Oh please... Farage is the one taking private jets.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Labour MPs have until 8th July (6pm) to let party know if they intend to seek re-selection.

• Options
    Cos Boris and Hunt fly economy, right?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited June 2019
    All 6 Labour Assembly Members re-standing managed to get re-selected in the end. Somes losses in and there but they all went over 2/3 threshold required.

Lewisham Deptford, West Ham, East Ham, Camberwell & Peckham and Ealing Central are the CLPs who voted against automatic re-selection of their incumbent AM. Streatham vote against their AM was ruled invalid because the CLP chair can't follow the guidelines (different wording on the ballot but I guess they could have lived with that. However, they also used different cut off deadline in who was entitled to vote)
  • Options
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,722
    TOPPING said:

_Anazina_ said:

TOPPING said:
    See "Finest Years: Churchill as Warlord 1940-45", Max Hastings (2010), ISBN: 9780007263684. https://www.waterstones.com/book/finest-years/sir-max-hastings/9780007263684

If you use Waterstone's Click and Collect, you can have a copy tomorrow. Conversely there is a Foyles in Waterloo and you can get it via this: https://www.foyles.co.uk/witem/biography/finest-years-churchill-as-warlord-1940,max-hastings-9780007263684
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,195

Erm. He's not an MP.
  • Options
    A concerned friend writes:

What all this shows is that the new leader of the Conservative Party is unlikely to have a majority for his central policy come the autumn, and may not have a majority this July full stop.

If the latter is the case, then Mrs May will have to recommend that the Queen asks Jeremy Corbyn whether he can assemble a majority instead. If not, it’s election time.

No wonder Britain’s top civil servant has put the current Prime Minister on notice that her biggest decision may be still to come.

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/evening-standard-comment-may-s-last-decision-could-be-her-most-important-a4174446.html
  • Options

All 6 Labour Assembly Members re-standing managed to get re-selected in the end. Somes losses in and there but they all went over 2/3 threshold required.

Lewisham Deptford, West Ham, East Ham, Camberwell & Peckham and Ealing Central are the CLPs who voted against automatic re-selection of their incumbent AM. Streatham vote against their AM was ruled invalid because the CLP chair can't follow the guidelines (different wording on the ballot but I guess they could have lived with that. However, they also used different cut off deadline in who was entitled to vote)

What happens to the MPs is rather more interesting. Who cares who the assembly members are?
  • Options

A concerned friend writes:

What all this shows is that the new leader of the Conservative Party is unlikely to have a majority for his central policy come the autumn, and may not have a majority this July full stop.

If the latter is the case, then Mrs May will have to recommend that the Queen asks Jeremy Corbyn whether he can assemble a majority instead. If not, it’s election time.

No wonder Britain’s top civil servant has put the current Prime Minister on notice that her biggest decision may be still to come.

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/evening-standard-comment-may-s-last-decision-could-be-her-most-important-a4174446.html

Surely the takeaway from this is that nominating the person isn’t going to be done straight away - not least because of the need for a new agreement with the DUP - and therefore Parliament will go into recess first?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

IanB2 said:

“a contempt for truth”

“of weak character”

“a cavorting charlatan”

Don’t worry, Phillip Thompson will be along shortly to tell us that Hastings is a proven liar...
    Why?

That is a funny line.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,722

As pointed out over the weekend (not by me), Hunt apparently does fly economy.
  • Options
    Serious heat is coming our way. Flee to the coast.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964

I will send 7 hours in KLM's Schiphol lounge on Friday due to changes in flight times - I really don't see what the problem is (for those that care the table I use is already reserved)
  • Options
    edited June 2019
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

IanB2 said:

“a contempt for truth”

“of weak character”

“a cavorting charlatan”

Why?

That is a funny line.
    Don't you think it's just a bit unfair on Alan Partridge?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    Boris is a complete joke. He really is. What are the Conservative Party thinking?
  • Options
    Could be a recent photo of Carrie and Ed Sheeran.
  • Options

Boris is a complete joke. He really is. What are the Conservative Party thinking?

We haven't thought yet.
  • Options
    Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202

IanB2 said:

So who in the current cabinet do we think stands a chance of a job under Bottling Bozo? Mordaunt looks the only one completely safe? Lewis and the Saj maybe in with a chance.

I would have thought the final 7 in the leadership (i.e. anyone who made the 5% cut) will be getting jobs. Of the rest (full Cabinet), Rudd, Mordaunt and perhaps Hinds are likeliest to stay on.
    Rory Stewart has already made clear he won't serve under Boris.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,517
    edited June 2019

I think they have spent the last six months explaining it. The no dealers are obsessed with winning, the impact on the economy is neither here nor there.
    What nonsense from an often decent and admirable journalist. Brixit is damaging people's reason. It is a sane centrist Tory government that has gone AWOL, one that could do TM's deal or Norway for Now. A centre right revolt against the ludicrous extreme right is not a vote for the Marxist left.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

You surely meant "strong and stable" ..... :sunglasses:
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,139
    edited June 2019

Mr and Mrs Hunt and their offspring were in the back with us peasants on a flight from Tokyo Haneida on Easter Monday. He sat in the row in front of me. I had a seat on the aisle (in the middle row). Across the aisle Mr Hunt had an aisle seat and his wife had a window seat. Like me he was watching 'Green Book'.

Everyone knew who he was and left him alone. He carried out his family business with little fuss and expected, and got no preferential treatment from the ANA cabin staff.
  • Options
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

That he believes in Brexit and is charismatic, and that will (they hope) be enough.
  • Options
    BBC1 7:30pm - "Life Of Pies"

One may peruse to determine the nature of the inferior competition .... :smile:
  • Options
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    Alistair said:

The last time we had a comfortable majority government was in 2005
  • Options
    edited June 2019
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

So who in the current cabinet do we think stands a chance of a job under Bottling Bozo? Mordaunt looks the only one completely safe? Lewis and the Saj maybe in with a chance.

I would have thought the final 7 in the leadership (i.e. anyone who made the 5% cut) will be getting jobs. Of the rest (full Cabinet), Rudd, Mordaunt and perhaps Hinds are likeliest to stay on.
    Rory Stewart has already made clear he won't serve under Boris.
    Which now looks a very prudent and principled position to have taken.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Tabman said:

Alistair said:

The last time we had a comfortable majority government was in 2005
    We had comfortable majority governments from 1997 to 2015.

Coalition years took a coalition but the coalition had a comfortable majority.
  • Options
    JackW said:
    May and the candidate himself (notwithstanding they have chosen to reselect him). Clever stuff.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

Mr and Mrs Hunt and their offspring were in the back with us peasants on a flight from Tokyo Haneida on Easter Monday. He sat in the row in front of me. I had a seat on the aisle (in the middle row). Across the aisle Mr Hunt had an aisle seat and his wife had a window seat. Like me he was watching 'Green Book'.

Everyone knew who he was and left him alone. He carried out his family business with little fuss and expected, and got no preferential treatment from the ANA cabin staff.
    To me, this is evidence of how sad our politicians have become.
  • Options
    JackW said:
    And make the installation of her successor more problematic if as is likely the Tories lose
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,262
    Ah, the Coalition, seems almost like Halcyon days :)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

When people are cornered and desperate they often panic. This is entirely consistent with that.

At the next general election the voting public are liable to feel cornered and desperate. They may also panic. Who knows what they will do?
  • Options

Who knows what they will do?
    HYUFD
This discussion has been closed.