Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Kamala Harris, betting favourite for the Democratic nomination

1235»

Comments

• Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    T
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

O/T My father's bowel surgery seems to have gone OK and he is now out of theatre, thanks again to those who sent messages last Friday evening

Oh, excellent. Happy news!
    +1

(At the risk of triggering @_Anazina_ )
    Nooooooooooooooo!
  • Options
    Does anybody else on this site share my occasional suspicion that the PM is deliberately cocking things up so that Brexit will fail and there will in the end be no choice but to remain?
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    "Poland's foreign minister has suggested that the Irish border issue could be solved if the backstop were time-limited to five years, as he warned that Dublin had the most to lose from a 'no deal' Brexit scenario.

Jacek Czaputowicz said the UK and Ireland were playing a "game of chicken" over the border that would end with a "frontal collision" unless a compromise was made.

His comments hint at growing concerns among EU leaders that pressuring the UK into accepting the backstop will backfire and lead to ‘no deal’ - paradoxically creating the hard border which the clause was designed to avoid"

Finally some signs of movement from the EU ?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Charles said:

😯

Oops. I used that analogy with three Germans I spoke to last week.

😖

Guys: I meant between NI and GB and that it was *not a good thing that the EU was demanding it*
    The EU isn't demanding it. The UK leaving the single market and customs union was never their idea.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited January 2019

Scott_P said:
    Nobody has told the Mayor of Calais that traffic will fall 75-87%.

He seemed to think - yep - 0% fall........
    It was actually the Deputy Mayor Mr Puissesseau who is also chief executive of the Calais port. A bit like the Irish hard border - some one on the ground actually has to and be willing to enforce it.

Perhaps Brussels will send in the EU army to override the local authorities?

Calais is ready for no deal - even if the UK isn't!!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/01/09/lorries-will-run-smoothly-across-channel-even-event-no-deal/
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

"Poland's foreign minister has suggested that the Irish border issue could be solved if the backstop were time-limited to five years, as he warned that Dublin had the most to lose from a 'no deal' Brexit scenario.

Jacek Czaputowicz said the UK and Ireland were playing a "game of chicken" over the border that would end with a "frontal collision" unless a compromise was made.

His comments hint at growing concerns among EU leaders that pressuring the UK into accepting the backstop will backfire and lead to ‘no deal’ - paradoxically creating the hard border which the clause was designed to avoid"

They overreached with their negotiating advantage. They can step back. Is it worth a continent wide recession ?
  • Options

Does anybody else on this site share my occasional suspicion that the PM is deliberately cocking things up so that Brexit will fail and there will in the end be no choice but to remain?

No. I really think she’s that shit.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,968
    edited January 2019

I really didn't think it possible, but today she plumbed new depths of uselessness.

I mean there's undiscovered coral reef down where she's been today; no politician has ever traversed that far before.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    I am reading “How Democracies Die”.

There is a short index at the front which suggests 4 indicators of authoritarian behaviour.

I’d say Brexitism ticks 1 of these (“denial of the legitimacy of political opponents”) while extreme Corbynism and Trump tick 3 (the one above, plus “willingness to curtail civil liberties of opponents”; “toleration or encouragement of violence”).
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572

There is a short index at the front which suggests 4 indicators of authoritarian behaviour.

I’d say Brexitism ticks 1 of these (“denial of the legitimacy of political opponents”) while extreme Corbynism and Trump tick 3 (the one above, plus “willingness to curtail civil liberties of opponents”; “toleration or encouragement of violence”).

Gotta ask - what's the 4th?
  • Options
    notme2 said:

They overreached with their negotiating advantage. They can step back. Is it worth a continent wide recession ?
    Continet-wide recession? I thought everything's going to be just fine in the event of No Deal?
  • Options

To do so ascribes to her infinitely more nous than she will ever possess.
  • Options

Well she must have some sort of plan or strategy - surely?

The main one presumably that whatever happens someone else gets the blame.
  • Options

Rejection of democratic rules of the game. Don’t think Trump (or extreme Corbynites) have suggested actually cancelling elections, or mass protests to change the government, nor do I think they have refused to accept results...

It’s a fascinating book.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

When you hold national votes of the people and the result of said vote is ignored and then the people are asked to vote again and again until they deliver the correct result?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Oh God, what a disaster.

I wonder what mental gymnastics the "People's Vote" crew will go through next to blame Corbyn, when a second referendum still fails to get through the Commons despite Corbyn's support.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

When you hold national votes and the result is ignored and then you are asked to vote again and again until you deliver the correct result?
    We had a national election after article 50 was invoked in which over 17 million people voted against no deal and against May's deal. Why is this not being respected by the government?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

A "no one could be that useless" argument, surely refuted by GE 2017 (unless you think she wanted to lose that too).
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Oh God, what a disaster.

I wonder what mental gymnastics the "People's Vote" crew will go through next to blame Corbyn, when a second referendum still fails to get through the Commons despite Corbyn's support.
    They will demand MPs keep voting again and again until they deliver their desired outcome?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    I see Tim "Rommel" Montgomerie has accused OGH of jumping the shark:

https://twitter.com/montie/status/1087433320361848832

This, lest we forget, from the man who said just a week ago that Anna Soubry deserved her treatment at the hands of the hi-vis low-clue protesters outside Parliament:

https://twitter.com/montie/status/1082375656581857285

Let he who is without sin jump the first shark, etc.
  • Options
    Anybody got a link to the Labour amendment?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

No, because she is not competent enough to have so masterfully pulled it off.

No, already dismissed. At this point the EU actively wants no deal rather than make any further concession, even on something no one claims to want. They know so many MPs are so scared of no deal or are ardent remainers that they could get that instead - why make a concession when you expect us to just give in completely?
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Is May biding her time so that a 2nd referendum is between her Deal and remain. If she gives up too soon any 2nd referendum would be between No Deal and Remain.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Sorry, say that again? I can't hear you over the shouts of "Russia!", "Putin!".

And in what way has Trump "curtail[ed] civil liberties of opponents"?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    HYUFD said:

I think Harris has a shot at the nomination especially with her home state voting earlier with its large number of delegates but in the general election she will find it tougher, it is Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania etc the Democrats need to make inroads in the Electoral College not California which is already safely in their column.

O/T My father's bowel surgery seems to have gone OK and he is now out of theatre, thanks again to those who sent messages last Friday evening

That is good news. I hope his recovery continues to go well.
  • Options

Anybody got a link to the Labour amendment?

I see Tim "Rommel" Montgomerie has accused OGH of jumping the shark:

https://twitter.com/montie/status/1087433320361848832

This, lest we forget, from the man who said just a week ago that Anna Soubry deserved her treatment at the hands of the hi-vis low-clue protesters outside Parliament:

https://twitter.com/montie/status/1082375656581857285

Let he who is without sin jump the first shark, etc.

Those in glass houses shouldn’t jump sharks.

Is that right?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

If the move to stop no deal succeeds I expect the ERG will back the deal

Which is not enough to see it pass, and given stopping no deal means we have to remain as default, how many Labour MPs will switch to see it passed over the backs of the DUP? Still dead.

May has finally gone too far and is just insulting everyone now - trying to do the same thing she has already tried, and achieve things which even if successful some of those against are clear they still will not back the deal, crosses a line from pathetic stubbornness to actively harmful. I hope more people vote against the deal now.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    edited January 2019

Is May biding her time so that a 2nd referendum is between her Deal and remain. If she gives up too soon any 2nd referendum would be between No Deal and Remain.

The best she can hope for next week is that she pulls over most of the Brexit Tories to her deal, being outvoted by the opposition parties plus the Tory remainers. I guess this might leave her deal in play if the winners of this vote cannot unite around any alternative proposition. Worst case, she goes down to another defeat with a chunk of her own party's leavers joining the opposition to once again sink her deal. In such a case, her deal is surely dead. Either she makes a bold leap to an alternative approach - which doesn't appear to be within her capability - or she is then herself surplus to requirements.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Chris said:

brendan16 said:

'The referendum wasn't about curbing migration? You're pulling my leg now'

It was about being able to exercise controls over it - and defacto treating people equally irrespective of where they come from based on their skills and qualifications or their likelihood of being net contributors rather than their nationality. aka not giving priority to almost entirely white Europeans!

Of course. Hence the prominence given to the prospect of large numbers of Turks, Syrians and Iraqis coming to the UK. Almost entirely ... white Europeans!

So you think we should prioritise highly skilled Slovakian waitresses and Bulgarian car washers for immigration to the UK over Iraqi doctors and Syrian engineers? Because of course post Brexit we can prioritise the latter over the former (assuming of course we end freedom of movement as it currently operates)?

Well, we have indeed given priority - British nationality even - to the sons and other relatives of the Head of Syria's Chemical Weapons Programme, a man who goes by the delightful name of Mr Armanazi. (Yes, really.)

And we didn't even need to Brexit to do it.

God knows who was at the Home Office when those rather interesting decisions were made.
  • Options

notme2 said:

Continet-wide recession? I thought everything's going to be just fine in the event of No Deal?
    Don’t confuse what I say with what others say.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

brendan16 said:

Chris said:

brendan16 said:

It was about being able to exercise controls over it - and defacto treating people equally irrespective of where they come from based on their skills and qualifications or their likelihood of being net contributors rather than their nationality. aka not giving priority to almost entirely white Europeans!

Of course. Hence the prominence given to the prospect of large numbers of Turks, Syrians and Iraqis coming to the UK. Almost entirely ... white Europeans!

So you think we should prioritise highly skilled Slovakian waitresses and Bulgarian car washers for immigration to the UK over Iraqi doctors and Syrian engineers? Because of course post Brexit we can prioritise the latter over the former (assuming of course we end freedom of movement as it currently operates)?

Well, we have indeed given priority - British nationality even - to the sons and other relatives of the Head of Syria's Chemical Weapons Programme, a man who goes by the delightful name of Mr Armanazi. (Yes, really.)

God knows who was at the Home Office when those rather interesting decisions were made.
    Surely not Theresa May?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Project Fear has extended to include private government assessments. The death cult will merely add them to The List.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    notme2 said:

notme2 said:

Don’t confuse what I say with what others say.
    And it wasn't him, anyway.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Good news. Labour has now narrowed its options to two unavailable fantasies.

Not sure this is progress, but it must be better than 147.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

That's even better than the unforgettable Seymour Cocks.

Isn't that the offence Martin Selmayr's grandfather did porridge for in Yugoslavia?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Isn't that the offence Martin Selmayr's grandfather did porridge for in Yugoslavia?
    http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/we-all-feel-like-that-now-and-then.html
  • Options
    kle4 said:

No, because she is not competent enough to have so masterfully pulled it off.

No, already dismissed. At this point the EU actively wants no deal rather than make any further concession, even on something no one claims to want. They know so many MPs are so scared of no deal or are ardent remainers that they could get that instead - why make a concession when you expect us to just give in completely?
    If you're correct it's a fundamental misreading of the British character and will make no deal certain.

We're not going to give in, too stubborn.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Chris said:

brendan16 said:

As long as these "highly skilled Slovakian waitresses" aren't followers of the Islamic faith that's good enough for about a third of the population.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

brendan16 said:

Chris said:

brendan16 said:

Surely not Theresa May?
    It's too easy, isn't it.

One son got citizenship in 2009 so whoever was the useless Labour Home Secretary was responsible for that one. And the other son and a brother got it in 2013. So, well done Theresa!!
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,936

Rejection of democratic rules of the game. Don’t think Trump (or extreme Corbynites) have suggested actually cancelling elections, or mass protests to change the government, nor do I think they have refused to accept results...

It’s a fascinating book.
    Rejection of the democratic rules of the game? Like overturning the result of the referendum and/or cancelling Brexit, you mean?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

I wanted to use that for teaching Russian history.

Unfortunately the Head got to hear of it and had Views on the subject.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

That surname is a delight. No fiction writer can top that.

The man himself is a monster.

How much due diligence - on a scale of 1(Cynic) - 10 (They have followed the letter and spirit of the law) - do you think the Home Office and/or the banks for whom the sons work and whose accounts they hold have done?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

How much due diligence - on a scale of 1(Cynic) - 10 (They have followed the letter and spirit of the law) - do you think the Home Office and/or the banks for whom the sons work and whose accounts they hold have done?
    About ooh, I'd say the second figure of -10 is about right.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Here’s an anecdote from someone living in Holland, sounds like Europe’s on brink anyway !

'Here's a comment from someone living in Holland:

Earlier today I asked the question " Would you vote Remain or Leave now you know more about the EU?" and a friend of mine Eddy Lonergan posted this comment .... I've typed it out word for word as I believe that everybody, needs to know whats really happening in Europe by somebody who has lived in Holland for almost the past 4 decades,
    PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS REGARDLESS OF WHAT SIDE OF THE BREXIT FENCE YOU FIND YOURSELF BECAUSE I BELIEVE THAT EVERYBODY SHOULD KNOW WHATS NOT BEING GIVEN NEWS COVERAGE .....

Eddy Lonergan's own words ... not mine

"I wish the Brits would take the time to see whats going on here Roger. ... I'm a scouser living in Holland getting on 40 years now. .... It is just as bad, in some ways worse than in the UK. For example, Health Insurance is compulsory whether working or unemployed. My wife and I pay 250 euros per month and that is basic, no dentals, physios or extras. 2 major hospitals have shut down - there are no beds - the A&E is the same as the UK, families are asked to look after their parents because of shortages in Care.

The immigration problem is a laughing stock, food banks are noT coping, people in work are not making ends meet and are relying on food banks. .... Belgium, Germany and France have the same problems. Angela Merkel is stepping down as Prime Minister (Chancellor) but has forgot to tell everyone she has a secure high position in Brussels. .... Why would you want to be a member of a gang of pocket-filling thieves who do not care about their people? ... As for Junker ... don't get me started ....

The EU countries are crumbling and no f*cker gives a"dangle-doo-dandy", so GET OUT while you can and maybe others will follow suit". .... They are scaring and flexing their muscles and hoping that it will turn around, because the membership fee the UK puts in every year will have to be put up by the remaining countries. .... Holland will have to double their fee we've been told. ... What other countries can afford this?

Spain, Greece, Italy all bankrupt, so you see the EU does not want to lose the UK and will bully any way to try to win it over by threatening the Northern Ireland deal, the fishing deal, giving back Gibraltar and whatever else they can get their grubby hands on, so don't be fooled, it's not a bed of roses, things are bad here and like I said, in some matters its worse.

The riots in France are not just about fuel tax, its about living standards. .... Belgium and Holland have also taken up the baton with the Yellow Jacket Demonstrators because they're tired of it. .... Take the time to find out yourselves, then you will be glad of Brexit, and like I've said, with sense, holland will follow suit" ....'

End of quote.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Jezza will get there in the end... On 30th March! :D
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Cyclefree said:

the Head of Syria's Chemical Weapons Programme, a man who goes by the delightful name of Mr Armanazi. (Yes, really.)

Let's hope he never falls for a nice Irish lass.....

O'Reilly-Armananzi
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Oh dear. Has teaching history taught you nothing?

Unless your choice is minus 10, in which case: Well Done! If teaching history ever palls, a future as a financial investigator awaits, where you can watch history - well, financial history - happening right in front of you. And even write the first drafts of it.

Plus you might get free cakes from some of your clients, if you're lucky.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Jezza will get there in the end... On 30th March! :D
    :D

Or 31st April :D
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Unless your choice is minus 10, in which case: Well Done! If teaching history ever palls, a future as a financial investigator awaits, where you can watch history - well, financial history - happening right in front of you. And even write the first drafts of it.

Oh, are you saying your figure was not minus 10? I assumed it was, there was a little dash in front of it and everything.

(Yes, I was being deliberately obtuse there :smile: )
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Just been catching up with grabcocque's meltdown the other night.

WOW! :
  • Options
    He is being sent next door to Coventry - Birmingham - to work on something that won't happen until 2022 and will be working for free.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

the Head of Syria's Chemical Weapons Programme, a man who goes by the delightful name of Mr Armanazi. (Yes, really.)

Let's hope he never falls for a nice Irish lass.....

O'Reilly-Armananzi
    And let's hope he never moves to a nice Irish village.

O'Reilly Armanazi in Kilmore.
  • Options
    Thanks to all my respondents.

Yes, it would be nice to think the PM had a cunning Plan, but as anyone who can spell knows, there ain't no F in Plan.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Which is not enough to see it pass, and given stopping no deal means we have to remain as default, how many Labour MPs will switch to see it passed over the backs of the DUP? Still dead.

May has finally gone too far and is just insulting everyone now - trying to do the same thing she has already tried, and achieve things which even if successful some of those against are clear they still will not back the deal, crosses a line from pathetic stubbornness to actively harmful. I hope more people vote against the deal now.
    I think this has been your road of travel for a while but if no deal and TM deal fall then what happens
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Oh, are you saying your figure was not minus 10? I assumed it was, there was a little dash in front of it and everything.

And you will also have noticed, I am sure, that, being the brilliant lawyer I am, I gave you a choice of answers, one more pleasing than the other. :)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

kle4 said:

I think this has been your road of travel for a while but if no deal and TM deal fall then what happens
    May went too far when she delayed the meaningful vote. Where are those men in grey suits? Time for a Tory grandee to call time.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Wrong way round. If there is no deal passed, and we don't revoke, then no deal happens by default. It would like legislating to stop rain at Wimbledon.

I don't think our MPs understand this or want to understand it. But the only way they can avoid no deal is to vote for The Deal, which they've painted themselves into the wrong corner over, or revoking, which is about as politically possible as ordering the massacre of all children under the age of three.
  • Options
    BTW oh PB Brains Trust - any views on Plusnet? Looking for a broadband provider. Not that bothered by line rental but the wifi needs to be reliable.

if not them, any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Thanks to all my respondents.

Yes, it would be nice to think the PM had a cunning Plan, but as anyone who can spell knows, there ain't no F in Plan.

Not so much Plan B as Plan 9 From Outer Space.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Even you Alastair?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

And you will also have noticed, I am sure, that, being the brilliant lawyer I am, I gave you a choice of answers, one more pleasing than the other. :)
    @Cyclefree for PM!!!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

BTW oh PB Brains Trust - any views on Plusnet? Looking for a broadband provider. Not that bothered by line rental but the wifi needs to be reliable.

Thanks in advance.

Avoid Vodafone. Their connection is very erratic.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Cyclefree said:

Thanks in advance.

Plusnet is BT.

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    brendan16 said:

When you hold national votes of the people and the result of said vote is ignored and then the people are asked to vote again and again until they deliver the correct result?
    As David Davis so eloquently said sometime before the referendum: “If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy.”
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    GIN1138 said:

WOW! :

What a shame one of the best posters on here.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Thanks in advance.

Plusnet is BT.

And BT using UK call centres all the time - I don't think I know anyone using them who has complained about them
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Ishmael_Z said:

A "no one could be that useless" argument, surely refuted by GE 2017 (unless you think she wanted to lose that too).
    Losing GE2017 was indeed part of May's plan and the whole Conservative Party was in on it. That is why the 1922 applauded (banging the desks) the PM after she'd lost the majority, instead of sacking her on the spot.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Wrong way round. If there is no deal passed, and we don't revoke, then no deal happens by default. It would like legislating to stop rain at Wimbledon.

I don't think our MPs understand this or want to understand it. But the only way they can avoid no deal is to vote for The Deal, which they've painted themselves into the wrong corner over, or revoking, which is about as politically possible as ordering the massacre of all children under the age of three.
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1087320006348718080
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited January 2019
    Cyclefree said:

They (Plusnet) do some good mobile tariffs, but for internet go to Zen Internet (based in Rochadale) winners best broadband for 15 years (either from PC Pro or Which? - I cannot remember).

They do line rental and phone as part of the package including fibre broadband.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Cyclefree said:

Thanks in advance.

Been with Plusnet for a number of years. No real problems with them. Call Centres answer pretty promptly. Had zero hassle with them when I had to cancel the account recently due to moving house.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Thanks in advance.

Plusnet is BT.

Plusnet is an incredibly cynical and quite clever move by BT.

Basically it's a way of segmenting their customers. For the suckers who want the familiarity of a brand they know and (for some unfathomable reason) trust, they have BT Internet. For people who care more about service quality, they have Plusnet. Operating the two brands means BT don't need to bother investing too much in customer service with BT Internet.

Think of it like Windows 10 Professional vs Windows 10 Home. Microsoft have long been masters at selling you a product at the highest price you're prepared to pay for it. Plusnet is the same trick.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Cyclefree said:

Thanks in advance.

Been with Plusnet for a number of years. No real problems with them. Call Centres answer pretty promptly. Had zero hassle with them when I had to cancel the account recently due to moving house.

Thank you. They seem to do good deals atm. We currently have BT in the Lakes, all fine. But this is for my daughter's temporary cottage while the builders demolish and then, God willing, rebuild the house. And if they're good we might then move to them.
  • Options
    eek said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Thanks in advance.

Plusnet is BT.

And BT using UK call centres all the time - I don't think I know anyone using them who has complained about them
    My calls get routed to India
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

They (Plusnet) do some good mobile tariffs, but for internet go to Zen Internet (based in Rochadale) winners best broadband for 15 years (either from PC Pro or Which? - I cannot remember).

They do line rental and phone as part of the package including fibre broadband.
    Thanks. Will look at them.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

@Cyclefree for PM!!!
    You can be my Education Secretary. :)
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

The irony of the first sentence - somebody claiming other people are stupid and then fundamentally misunderstanding the basic procedure we're going through - is astounding. Not to say very worrying.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Your analogy is both tasteless and incorrect. Revocation can always be followed by a further A50 invocation; a massacre cannot be followed by a de-massacre.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Your analogy is both tasteless and incorrect. Revocation can always be followed by a further A50 invocation; a massacre cannot be followed by a de-massacre.
    I said 'ordering.' I said nothing about carrying it out!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Cox claimed in Parliament that revocation meant no way to further invoke A50.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Danny565 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

The irony of the first sentence - somebody claiming other people are stupid and then fundamentally misunderstanding the basic procedure we're going through - is astounding. Not to say very worrying.
    However she can rule it out by saying that if there is no deal acceptable to parliament she will revoke Article 50.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    edited January 2019
    Charles said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Thanks in advance.

Plusnet is BT.

Plusnet or BT? The irony is that BT - the far more expensive service use India Plusnet only use UK centres as far as I'm aware (although not always in Yorkshire now as they are also using EE call centres).
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited January 2019
    Charles said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Thanks in advance.

Plusnet is BT.

I am with BT and have just renegotiated my package as follows

Superfast Fibre Plus BT whole home with 67 mb average download including complete wi fi guarantee including router and seperate disc giving whole home cover at £35.99 per month including line rental

I pay an additional £12 per month for free weekend landline calls and BT sports on two tvs

Also I use their on line 'chat' line for support if it is necessary and it is excellent

Also I did not take no deal off the table until I did the deal !!!!!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Cox claimed in Parliament that revocation meant no way to further invoke A50.
    I don't have access to his speech but the implication of his claim is that Article 50 is only available once, which is clearly nonsense.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    edited January 2019
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

OK you've got me on a point of 'order'-ing, but it's still a tasteless analogy.

Plus, I think we are likely to find out that A50 revocation is a good deal more politically possible than your analogy's alternative.
  • Options
    eek said:

Charles said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Thanks in advance.

Plusnet is BT.

Plusnet or BT? The irony is that BT - the far more expensive service use India Plusnet only use UK centres as far as I'm aware (although not always in Yorkshire now as they are also using EE call centres).
    The issue is that I have a bt email and they won’t tell you how much it is to keep it if you move unless you spend 2 hours on the phone to India. I keep meaning to!
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

WOW! :

Hardly he was a complete arse. On some threads you could barely get a word in due to his hyperactivity. The fact he seems to have blown up is hardly surprising. It goes with the territory.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

OK you've got me on a point of 'order'-ing, but it's still a tasteless analogy.

Plus, I think we are likely to find out that A50 revocation is a good deal more politically possible than your analogy's alternative.
    My analogy does not need to be politically possible. It is the default.

I think a revocation would mean real trouble. Similar to a very extreme example, which is why I picked on a silly (tasteless) one.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    RobC said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

WOW! :

Hardly he was a complete arse. On some threads you could barely get a word in due to his hyperactivity. The fact he seems to have blown up is hardly surprising. It goes with the territory.
    Not at all he was very entertaining. Can't stand the heat and all that...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Does anyone have the wording of the Cooper amendment?

And how would it have legal force?

ie Would it compel May to revoke Article 50 if no deal approved by Commons? If not, how would it work?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    MikeL said:

Does anyone have the wording of the Cooper amendment?

And how would it have legal force?

ie Would it compel May to revoke Article 50 if no deal approved by Commons? If not, how would it work?

It's not legislation - simply a bit of virtue signalling.
This discussion has been closed.