Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast. Deal or no deal. Plus are th

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    edited January 2019

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

I look forward to seeing the conclusion of whether the Tories are really ahead in the polls. Personally they could be and i wouldn't believe it, I just don't see how it would maintain itself in an electoral situation when it is so riven.

I think the Tories are ahead in the polls because of Mrs May's lead in the leadership ratings, however I suspect that lead would crumble during an election campaign this year as the Tories couldn't unite over Brexit.
    It would probably be like one of those strange elections in the 1920's. Huge swings all over the place at constituency level.
    I think that is right. There would be all manner of spoiler candidates -- Independent Brexiteers against Grieve & Boles, surely Bercow will not be given a free ride in Buckingham, Labour Remainers in Leave seats will face Lexiteers, and so on.

Few MPs will be completely easy in their minds that they will be back in the saddle after the election.

This is one of the main reasons why I don't expect an election.
    And the public (rightly) hate the idea, so whoever is seen as responsible for calling it will suffer.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    How many current Tory votes for the deal does she lose if that is the case?

Not saying it is an unreasonable demand from the LD perspective - frankly I think it's May's only hope of her deal going through as well - but trying to figure out the maths of this, the LDs can be countered pretty quickly if more Tories defect.
    Not many, I suspect, because support for the deal wasn't high in the first place.
    But more than 12? Some might have backed it on the basis that at least it guaranteed a form of leave, whereas a referendum does not.
    Sure the referendum idea would need to attract Labour. If Theresa May proposes the referendum, that gives cover to Labour MPs who worry about their Leave voting constituencies going against being forced to vote again. For her part Mrs May has lost so many MPs already over her deal, she will probably hang onto most of the rest.

A referendum is the last thing Mrs May wants. It might be the last thing she actually does, given her lack of alternatives.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

Why oh why did Mrs May give the disgraced national security risk Liam Fox such a key Brexit job?

Dr Fox's predictions on how easy Brexit would be is up there with the plan for an Anglo-German trade deal post Brexit by David Davis.

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1086021890605502466

Did anyone on this board openly opine that this would be a problem???
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    https://www.facebook.com/CouncillorJoleneBunting/photos/a.216511945792146/375202046589801/?type=3&theater

Says it all really. The incompetent leaver can't even get the date right, seems for a nationalist to be entirely ignorant of constitutional history and completely unaware of the UK/Ireland CTA
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Not saying it is an unreasonable demand from the LD perspective - frankly I think it's May's only hope of her deal going through as well - but trying to figure out the maths of this, the LDs can be countered pretty quickly if more Tories defect.
    I think the catch is that May would want the choice to be Deal/No Deal.
    She won’t get to decide. She needs the EU’s consent to an extension, remember.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Scott_P said:
    Quite. And these are the people Cameron thought could reverently, discreetly, advisedly, soberly decide our future for decades to come.
    What the voters? Whether or not one supports referenda in general the notion that the voters shouldn't be able to determine our future is just as much to blame for where we are.
    Of course they shouldn't directly. Watch any vox pop - the BBC seems quite keen on them - of voters discussing Brexit and the vast majority having got the first bloody clue about any of the issues.
    Nor have MP's.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    rcs1000 said:

Why oh why did Mrs May give the disgraced national security risk Liam Fox such a key Brexit job?

Dr Fox's predictions on how easy Brexit would be is up there with the plan for an Anglo-German trade deal post Brexit by David Davis.

Did anyone on this board openly opine that this would be a problem???
    Only some Radiohead superfan, from memory...
  • Options
    Yep. Bruce is better than Dimbles. I used to zone out after 45
    minutes...
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    FF43 said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Not many, I suspect, because support for the deal wasn't high in the first place.
    But more than 12? Some might have backed it on the basis that at least it guaranteed a form of leave, whereas a referendum does not.
    Sure the referendum idea would need to attract Labour. If Theresa May proposes the referendum, that gives cover to Labour MPs who worry about their Leave voting constituencies going against being forced to vote again. For her part Mrs May has lost so many MPs already over her deal, she will probably hang onto most of the rest.

A referendum is the last thing Mrs May wants. It might be the last thing she actually does, given her lack of alternatives.
    I agree that Labour would probably back a referendum, if May had supported one first, since that takes away the risk of Brexit voters blaming Labour exclusively.

Doubt May supporting one would ever happen though...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

I don't see how those two sentences are connected. Both are true, but if what the EU wants is an outcome then a referendum provides that (assuming MPs follow its instruction, or make it binding anyway) regardless of what the options are, so the EU's consent doesn't have anything to do with the also true fact that May won't get to decide the choice, which is down to the will of parliament.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

I'm sure she would, the Deal might even have a chance then. But given most people who want a referendum want it because they want to remain, those whose votes May needs have good reason to hold firm.
    And given the other EU members would have to agree unanimously to an extension for any referendum, I don't think a referendum with a "No Deal" option is feasible.

Not if any of them watch Question Time, anyway.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

But she/we do not need the EU's consent to temporarily revoke A50 before invoking it again when we have a clue what we want to do (which is effectively a 2-year "extension" anyway).
  • Options
    FF43 said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

If we stalemate into No Deal as a result of (or as a perceived result of) Labour opposing a second referendum, they will get crucified at the following election.
    That is the attraction to Labour.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    kle4 said:

A pile, no doubt. It'd only work with hefty Lab rebellion - or Corbyn allows a free vote.
  • Options
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

I'm sure she would, the Deal might even have a chance then. But given most people who want a referendum want it because they want to remain, those whose votes May needs have good reason to hold firm.
    And given the other EU members would have to agree unanimously to an extension for any referendum, I don't think a referendum with a "No Deal" option is feasible.

The EU have repeatedly made clear they are prepared to progress with no deal. Why would they object to an extension which includes it as an option, if it also opens the door to something actually being agreed to take no deal off the table, as it were?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Scott_P said:
    Quite. And these are the people Cameron thought could reverently, discreetly, advisedly, soberly decide our future for decades to come.
    What the voters? Whether or not one supports referenda in general the notion that the voters shouldn't be able to determine our future is just as much to blame for where we are.
    Of course they shouldn't directly. Watch any vox pop - the BBC seems quite keen on them - of voters discussing Brexit and the vast majority having got the first bloody clue about any of the issues.
    Nor have MP's.
    And at least some of the vox pops can be entertaining:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/17/just-stop-messing-about-hastings-aghast-at-brexit-impasse
    The most pithily eloquent responses come from a man waiting for his wife outside a shop, who declined to give his name but answered a series of quickfire questions.

Theresa May? “She’ll never win anything again.” Jeremy Corbyn? “He’s an arsehole.” Would there be another referendum? “No.” How was it all going to end? “A mess.”...

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Of all the papers tomorrow, the Star has the best Brexit Update: "We'll give you a nudge when something sensible happens".....
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

https://www.facebook.com/CouncillorJoleneBunting/photos/a.216511945792146/375202046589801/?type=3&theater

Says it all really. The incompetent leaver can't even get the date right, seems for a nationalist to be entirely ignorant of constitutional history and completely unaware of the UK/Ireland CTA

It goes without saying that they think the European Court of Human Rights is something to do with the EU. That's standard.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

I don't doubt the sincerity of many in the EU for us to remain, but I think if they stopped to think about it a bit more they'd see that it's better for the project if we are not part of them.

As a counterfactual, how do you think the last 45 years would have been better for the other 27 countries currently in the EU if the UK had been outside?
    They would have been much happier, without us, IMHO.
    I disagree - I think you are perhaps projecting.
    And they probably wouldn’t have the Single Market.

My view is that De Gaulle was correct to veto our application, and was doing us a favour, had we only seen it.
    I cannot think of any better reason for being members of the EU than the French didn't want us to be members.
    My ideal EU would be the current set up, less all the countries with a Mediterranean coastline.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

The EU have repeatedly made clear they are prepared to progress with no deal. Why would they object to an extension which includes it as an option, if it also opens the door to something actually being agreed to take no deal off the table, as it were?
    They might agree if they thought that the people were less likely to choose No Deal in a referendum than the politicians if forced to make a choice in March. I have a pretty low opinion of politicians, but I don't think they're more likely to choose No Deal than the people.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Anyone selling a vote on the basis we must think of the children who could not vote in 2016 has to explain to me why the children who cannot vote in 2019 should be excluded this time. It's a five year old's future too, and for all we know they'll grow up to be absolute raging europhobes.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Scott_P said:
    And how might they be allowed to determine it indirectly? By voting in political system carefully designed to be as inert as possible?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    kle4 said:

I'm a tea drinker myself, but this does sound concerning:

The first full assessment of risks to the world's coffee plants shows that 60% of 124 known species are on the edge of extinction.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46845461

I went to an interesting exhibition on coffee last year in Edinburgh botanic gardens. Almost all coffee in the world traces its lineage to just two bushes from the Amsterdam botanic gardens. One that was taken by the Dutch to Ceylon and then Java and the other by the French to Guadeloupe and then Brazil. It's genetically very restricted.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Oof. NYT:
    From David Cameron, who recklessly gambled his country’s future on a referendum in order to isolate some whingers in his Conservative party, to the opportunistic Boris Johnson, who jumped on the Brexit bandwagon to secure the prime ministerial chair once warmed by his role model Winston Churchill, and the top-hatted, theatrically retro Jacob Rees-Mogg, whose fund management company has set up an office within the European Union even as he vehemently scorns it, the British political class has offered to the world an astounding spectacle of mendacious, intellectually limited hustlers.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/opinion/sunday/brexit-ireland-empire.html
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    That expression on his face is just great. He looks a bus stop wino that's just shit himself.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

I don't doubt the sincerity of many in the EU for us to remain, but I think if they stopped to think about it a bit more they'd see that it's better for the project if we are not part of them.

As a counterfactual, how do you think the last 45 years would have been better for the other 27 countries currently in the EU if the UK had been outside?

My view is that De Gaulle was correct to veto our application, and was doing us a favour, had we only seen it.
    I cannot think of any better reason for being members of the EU than the French didn't want us to be members.
    My ideal EU would be the current set up, less all the countries with a Mediterranean coastline.
    Would overseas territories with a Mediterranean coastline be OK?
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

The food, sex and fashion would be fucking awful.

• Options
    Dura_Ace said:

That expression on his face is just great. He looks a bus stop wino that's just shit himself.
    I wondered why I recognised it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Chris said:

Chris_A said:

It goes without saying that they think the European Court of Human Rights is something to do with the EU. That's standard.
    Word of advice to the two of you: telling people they are stupid doesn’t persuade them to agree with you
  • Options

Oof. NYT:

From David Cameron, who recklessly gambled his country’s future on a referendum in order to isolate some whingers in his Conservative party, to the opportunistic Boris Johnson, who jumped on the Brexit bandwagon to secure the prime ministerial chair once warmed by his role model Winston Churchill, and the top-hatted, theatrically retro Jacob Rees-Mogg, whose fund management company has set up an office within the European Union even as he vehemently scorns it, the British political class has offered to the world an astounding spectacle of mendacious, intellectually limited hustlers.

Lol. Whingers.

Anti EU feeling has been in existence for decades. Largely because a clique of extreme centrists believe in a project without a demos.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

Scott_P said:
    A couple of minutes ago, disapproval ratings for Trump just hit 55% (with 40.2% in favour), the highest level since Feb 2018.
    Yes. His approval rating is tanking.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/
  • Options
    Charles said:

Chris said:

Chris_A said:

Word of advice to the two of you: telling people they are stupid doesn’t persuade them to agree with you
    Please.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Charles said:

Chris said:

Chris_A said:

Please.
    I think we just hit "Peak Charles".
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Charles said:

Chris said:

Chris_A said:

This site isn't for persuading people, it's terrible for that. It's for working out what's going to happen, and by extension, what's going on now. How dumb which voters are is an important data point.
  • Options

Oof. NYT:

It 's a good example of how hard it is to write well about things you hate.
  • Options

Charles said:

Chris said:

Chris_A said:

This site isn't for persuading people, it's terrible for that. It's for working out what's going to happen, and by extension, what's going on now. How dumb which voters are is an important data point.
    Or in this case the dumbness of a local councillor currently suspended for her links with the far right.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Scott_P said:
    And how might they be allowed to determine it indirectly? By voting in political system carefully designed to be as inert as possible?
    STV is not inert.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited January 2019
    Mortimer said:

Yep. Bruce is better than Dimbles. I used to zone out after 45
    minutes...

She has got Dimbleby's twinkly eyes. She got her facts wrong on there being a big Tory lead in the polls. There isn't.

On the EMA, the Tories are 0,6% ahead of Labour and would be 27 seats short of a majority.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,612
    Sean_F said:

Oof. NYT:

It is also a good example of how a significant percentage of the world sees Britain.
  • Options
    Speaker Bercow 'could be denied peerage'

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46913477
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Oof. NYT:

It is also a good example of how a significant percentage of the world sees Britain.

Doubtless they do.

In much the same way that lots of people have outdated stereotypes of other nations.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kle4 said:

Why oh why did Mrs May give the disgraced national security risk such a key Brexit job?

Remember, there was plenty of discomfort when Davis, Fox and BoJo were appointed.
    It was seen as a political masterstroke by many.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Could HM appoint him anyway? It is tradition, after all.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It's pretty much the view of Britain that my wife was taught in school in India and one you see repeatedly in the Indian media - especially in cinema and TV. The idea that the Commonwealth countries are waiting to welcome back Britain as the paterfamilias is, like everything else to do with Brexit, a retrograde fantasy.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    If only they had another 250 MPs it might be worth considering....
    Indeed

Another bit of unicornism.

Legislating for a second referendum loses another 100 or so story MP, and more than half
    The cabinet.
    So the arithmetic is something like this (I'm not quite up-to-date with the odd Labour Leaver who backed the deal, Brexiter LibDems, who's currently in prison etc, so I'll be a couple off):

Start with the MV result as the baseline, you need a net swing of (432-202)/2 = 115.

SNP 35
    LD 11
    Plaid 4
    Green 1
    = 51

Lab endorsers so far per Labour List: 88

Add those together and I get 139.

So if all the Con Deal voters held that's a majority of 24. But in practice you'll lose some of those 200 odd Tories, and gain some of remaining 168 Labour ones. In particular I reckon a lot of Lab MPs, probably including Corbyn, would abstain. I doubt they'd want to be on the end of Remainer anger if their vote saves Brexit, even in strongly Leave seats.

Seems to me like if the Tories whip it it should be quite an easy win, but if "parliament" tries to do it against the opposition of the PM they'll come up short.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Dura_Ace said:

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Andrew said:

Scott_P said:

The word "prepare" covers quite a spectrum of implications there. It's probably normal they start doing that in any heavily deadlocked situation like we have at present.
    I would be a bit surprised if we have an election before 2nd May - same day as the local elections.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    All the leavers I've spoke to in the real world (Brexit is getting mentioned plenty!) are well up for no deal
  • Options
    Just done a yougov which asked lots of brexit questions after the usual voting intention question. One question that stood out was on Boris...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

All the leavers I've spoke to in the real world (Brexit is getting mentioned plenty!) are well up for no deal

Because they think it's a way of sticking it to the EU or because they think it will be sunlit uplands time for the UK?
  • Options
    I think another GE gives May's deal (Or a Corbyn brexit) a better chance of passing than a 2nd red quite honestly. It might appeal to both front benches shortly.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

The Hanseatic League?
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Just having a late night snack of hamberders and covfefe. Anybody want some?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Because they think it's a way of sticking it to the EU or because they think it will be sunlit uplands time for the UK?
    Not a word of a lie, but
    Spitfires gunning down the channel dinghies apparently...
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Pulpstar said:

I think another GE gives May's deal (Or a Corbyn brexit) a better chance of passing than a 2nd red quite honestly. It might appeal to both front benches shortly.

Not saying you're wrong but how does that fix it? I mean, TMay needs to swing 115 votes. That means if the current MPs don't shift she needs at least 115 Con gains. But it's worse, because 1 Tory MP in 3 opposes the deal so for every third MP she adds, she cancels another one out.

Or is the thought that after the election the Tory MPs would say, "Well it was in the manifesto (that everybody knew I was opposed to) so I'll have to vote for it"?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Dura_Ace said:

Throughout the day I've been seeing this picture and only now have I realised it's IDS in the back with the hat, not some unlucky member of the public or 1970s John Le Carre character caught in the shot.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

Just done a yougov which asked lots of brexit questions after the usual voting intention question. One question that stood out was on Boris...

Is he a busted flush clown?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Not saying you're wrong but how does that fix it? I mean, TMay needs to swing 115 votes. That means if the current MPs don't shift she needs at least 115 Con gains. But it's worse, because 1 Tory MP in 3 opposes the deal so for every third MP she adds, she cancels another one out.

Or is the thought that after the election the Tory MPs would say, "Well it was in the manifesto (that everybody knew I was opposed to) so I'll have to vote for it"?
    Could it be made part of the Queen's speech ?
  • Options
    Surely we aren't going to come full circle are we? Boris decides he sent the wrong column in and now we are at war with Eastasia and not Eurasia?
  • Options
    Well, at least May is alert enough to cancel a trip to Davos in order to try and sort this f up out.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Could it be made part of the Queen's speech ?
    I'm not sure if that's something she could try but then I think the rebels could just vote down the Queen's speech, wait for Jeremy Corbyn to table a confidence vote, and vote for her in that.
  • Options

Is he a busted flush clown?
    According to the Daily Mail he's going to make a pitch for the leadership tomorrow.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6604879/Boris-makes-dramatic-pitch-Tory-leadership.html
  • Options

Well, at least May is alert enough to cancel a trip to Davos in order to try and sort this f up out.

At this rate it's just going to be George Soros sitting there on his own making sad noises with his party blower
  • Options

At this rate it's just going to be George Soros sitting there on his own making sad noises with his party blower
    and John McDonnell.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Throughout the day I've been seeing this picture and only now have I realised it's IDS in the back with the hat, not some unlucky member of the public or 1970s John Le Carre character caught in the shot.
    He looks a bit jowly, whereas DD is becoming ghostly. The Brexit clusterfuck only putting one of them off their tucker evidently.
  • Options
    And good night.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

He looks a bit jowly, whereas DD is becoming ghostly. The Brexit clusterfuck only putting one of them off their tucker evidently.
    We know DD keeps in shape with 3-4 miles of "mostly sprinting".

https://twitter.com/ryansabey/status/1074357677717942272
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Pulpstar said:

Diamond Brexit, as it used to be called.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

It's like Reservoir Dogs, except it's Mr Shit, Mr Shit, Mr Shit, Mr Shit and Mr Shit.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Pulpstar said:

Because they don't understand, don't care, or somehow think they personally will be immune?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Trump would be in trouble if some enterprising Democrat had thought to get his new Attorney General on film saying that this would be obstruction of justice.

What's that? Who? KLOBUCHAR???

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1086122878116999171
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,329
    Like I've said, the hard Leavers aren't really serious about Britain leaving.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Trump would be in trouble if some enterprising Democrat had thought to get his new Attorney General on film saying that this would be obstruction of justice.

I am increasingly liking her style. To the point without being shrill or bombastic, keeps her cool well. I think she will be good at the primary debates, and that all important weird name factor.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Scott_P said:

Actually, it’s Giuliani, through his spectacular incompetence, who might have cracked the case wide open. Trump up until now had a functioning joint defence agreement with the rest of the suspected crooks (and even the already convicted, like Manafort).

Good old Rudi has just blown that up:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/17/giuliani-mueller-collusion-investigation-1110671

And I don’t think he’ll be running for the nomination...
    :smile:

During a CNN interview, President Donald Trump’s personal lawyer blurted out that the only person he knows about who didn’t collude with Russia was Trump himself. Although Giuliani tried to walk back his comments on Thursday, the remarks put the sprawling web of people caught up in special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe on notice: no one is coming to save you.

“Ya think!!!” one former Trump campaign official wrote to POLITICO when asked if Giuliani was trying to protect the president at the expense of everyone who worked for him...

• Options

I've been thinking a lot about this, and I think there are two factors.

1. They think that, as the EU and the UK will continually chafe, that if we don't leave now, we'll leave more utterly and finally at some point in the future. They fear that some kind of halfway house - not that the WA is actually like that, but you can't expect people to read documents - will end up being popular with voters (like the EEA is in Norway), and therefore they want to avoid it at all costs.

2. Sometimes I think they're sole pleasure in life is in bitching about the EU. It's great that somebody else is to blame. It means you don't have to think about whether the UK's welfare or education system is part of the problem. Much easier - in the words of MJ Hibbert - "to put the blame on agencies outside ourselves, not to take responsibility for ourselves". (Albeit he was talking about losing weight...)

• Options
    I've just done the Five Thirty Eight personality test.

I would have done much better on "respect for others", but it asked me about Zac Goldsmith.

Here's my result: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/personality-quiz/?group=-LWUbpnsPGmGj00hx03A

It would be interesting to see other PBers scores.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,659
    RobD said:

Could HM appoint him anyway? It is tradition, after all.
    No. She acts on the advice of her Ministers.

And what's this 'tradition' anyway?

Bercow evidently is only selectively in favour of it.

(I don't think it should be blocked for the Grieve shenanigans, which may have been a good decision taken for poor reasons, without thought to the longterm procedural consequences, but for his failure of leadership and complicity in the bullying problem.....and other matters....cough....Vaz....cough....)
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited January 2019
    Nigelb said:

Actually, it’s Giuliani, through his spectacular incompetence, who might have cracked the case wide open. Trump up until now had a functioning joint defence agreement with the rest of the suspected crooks (and even the already convicted, like Manafort).

Someone said a while back that what would eventually doom Trump would be his inability to get decent lawyers. And voila, he ended up with the clown Giuliani.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Because they don't understand, don't care, or somehow think they personally will be immune?
    A combination of the above, but no question that a lot of the population would vote No Deal, just look at that Derby BBCQT audience.

My original position from immediately post referendum (and TSE has been more consistent on this) was that we needed to do a planned diamond Brexit, or we would have an unplanned diamond Brexit. I came round to the #peoplesvote after last summers demonstration, but am perhaps coming back to my original view.

Britons need to experience what No Deal means in order to appreciate being in the EU. Its a bit like Corbynism, it has to be tried to be defeated. There will be inevitable damage to Britains surviving manufacturing industry, and to financial services, but many sectors will be immune when we adopt our own Juche philosophy.

There was a spontaneous Brexit discussion in the staff room at work this week (I keep my own politics low key there, so was just an observer). Not too heated, but quite a few talking in favour of No Deal. The ethnic minority Leave vote seemed to have shifted, rather frightened by the forces unleashed, and a few former Remainers thinking the humiliation of A50 withdrawal would be too much. There was no real enthusiasm for Leave, or belief that there were any real benefits, more an obstinate determination to stick with it.

On balance: Nothing has changed. My only contribution to lighten the mood was to point out that Remain or No Deal, PM Jezza or Jacob, we were all assured of plenty of work!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

1. They think that, as the EU and the UK will continually chafe, that if we don't leave now, we'll leave more utterly and finally at some point in the future. They fear that some kind of halfway house - not that the WA is actually like that, but you can't expect people to read documents - will end up being popular with voters (like the EEA is in Norway), and therefore they want to avoid it at all costs.

2. Sometimes I think they're sole pleasure in life is in bitching about the EU. It's great that somebody else is to blame. It means you don't have to think about whether the UK's welfare or education system is part of the problem. Much easier - in the words of MJ Hibbert - "to put the blame on agencies outside ourselves, not to take responsibility for ourselves". (Albeit he was talking about losing weight...)

I think it's more the second factor.

The first would require more strategic thought than the evidence to date suggests they're capable of.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

On the other hand, a good number of those I know who wavered and ultimately went for Remain have contacted me to say they back May's deal, and don't understand why Leavers arent.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The first would require more strategic thought than the evidence to date suggests they're capable of.
    Certainly they fear that a halfway house will never eventually transition to the vision of 1950s restored that they seem to have. But this is as much because it might at some point be reversed, because it isn't working well, as because it'll end up being popular. The hard leavers want to get us beyond the point of no return before the damage being inflicted becomes obvious.

Your second factor is surely right. The only thing worse than not having a dream is having your dream come true, railing against the EU is their life purpose.

Thirdly, it is worth noting that someone like Lilico who declares that we should have remained rather than gomfor a soft Brexit has, in their own mind at least, thereby escaped from taking any responsibility for the downsides of leaving the EU.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Oof. NYT:

Doubtless they do.

In much the same way that lots of people have outdated stereotypes of other nations.

I've never truly understood the criticism of Britain over partition. Mountbatten tried to avoid it. Jinnah wouldn't have it.

Maybe Congress would have preferred Britain to stay for a further five years to police a benign split but I don't remember much more from them during that period of history other than "Quit India".

So we did.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I would have done much better on "respect for others", but it asked me about Zac Goldsmith.

Here's my result: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/personality-quiz/?group=-LWUbpnsPGmGj00hx03A

I wasn't asked about Goldsmith!

openness to experience
    96 out of 100
    Agreeableness
    75 out of 100
    Conscientiousness
    67 out of 100
    Negative emotionality
    17 out of 100
    Extraversion
    67 out of 100
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

A combination of the above, but no question that a lot of the population would vote No Deal, just look at that Derby BBCQT audience.

My original position from immediately post referendum (and TSE has been more consistent on this) was that we needed to do a planned diamond Brexit, or we would have an unplanned diamond Brexit. I came round to the #peoplesvote after last summers demonstration, but am perhaps coming back to my original view.

Britons need to experience what No Deal means in order to appreciate being in the EU. Its a bit like Corbynism, it has to be tried to be defeated. There will be inevitable damage to Britains surviving manufacturing industry, and to financial services, but many sectors will be immune when we adopt our own Juche philosophy.

There was a spontaneous Brexit discussion in the staff room at work this week (I keep my own politics low key there, so was just an observer). Not too heated, but quite a few talking in favour of No Deal. The ethnic minority Leave vote seemed to have shifted, rather frightened by the forces unleashed, and a few former Remainers thinking the humiliation of A50 withdrawal would be too much. There was no real enthusiasm for Leave, or belief that there were any real benefits, more an obstinate determination to stick with it.

On balance: Nothing has changed. My only contribution to lighten the mood was to point out that Remain or No Deal, PM Jezza or Jacob, we were all assured of plenty of work!
    Things are getting pretty desperate when people are arguing that we must inflict great damage upon ourselves because the pain will teach us a lesson.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

On the other hand, a good number of those I know who wavered and ultimately went for Remain have contacted me to say they back May's deal, and don't understand why Leavers arent.
    No one in the staffroom pop up focus group wanted Mays Deal, it was one pole or the other.

It was the day after it was rejected by a record vote though, so perhaps just a recognition that it is dead, leaving only No Deal and Remain as possibilities.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

No one in the staffroom pop up focus group wanted Mays Deal, it was one pole or the other.

It was the day after it was rejected by a record vote though, so perhaps just a recognition that it is dead, leaving only No Deal and Remain as possibilities.
    I think you get very different response on Brexit when you discuss it in a group as opposed to personally on a 1:1.

At least, that's been my experience.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

I wasn't asked about Goldsmith!

openness to experience
    96 out of 100
    Agreeableness
    75 out of 100
    Conscientiousness
    67 out of 100
    Negative emotionality
    17 out of 100
    Extraversion
    67 out of 100
    So, basically, we're pretty similar, except that - probably just as well in a doctor - you're a little more conscientious than I am.
  • Options
    Yup.....

Are some Brexiteers addicted to disappointment and frustration? Do they so crave the righteous indignation that flows from being thwarted that they are actively trying to sabotage their own project? How else to explain the extraordinary strategic incompetence of Tory MPs who say they want Britain to leave the EU yet behave in a way that makes it increasingly likely that Britain will not do so?

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/01/brexiteers-are-destroying-their-own-dream/
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Certainly they fear that a halfway house will never eventually transition to the vision of 1950s restored that they seem to have. But this is as much because it might at some point be reversed, because it isn't working well, as because it'll end up being popular. The hard leavers want to get us beyond the point of no return before the damage being inflicted becomes obvious.

Your second factor is surely right. The only thing worse than not having a dream is having your dream come true, railing against the EU is their life purpose.

Thirdly, it is worth noting that someone like Lilico who declares that we should have remained rather than gomfor a soft Brexit has, in their own mind at least, thereby escaped from taking any responsibility for the downsides of leaving the EU.
    I see it as the basis of a long term consensus that can be built upon, but will be enduring.

I've tired of Andrew Lilico's ravings, which lash out in a multitude of inconsistent directions daily.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Things are getting pretty desperate when people are arguing that we must inflict great damage upon ourselves because the pain will teach us a lesson.

Until our delusions are exposed we can’t move forward as a country. Part of that may well include not being the country we currently are.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, that is why I came round to the #peoplesvote last summer, but it is why I am fairly relaxed about No Deal. I see people make foolish decisions with their lives every day. Nations resemble people in that they have autonomy, but can also repent and come back to sense.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

I think you get very different response on Brexit when you discuss it in a group as opposed to personally on a 1:1.

I stupidly agreed with Kwasi Kwarteng about the deal on Twitter, and got a pile of shit from ardent Remainers and Leavers. Apparently, it was in every way worse than remaining.

Which way? I asked.

The people of Northern Ireland, they responded.

So, I said, you'd be happy if we asked the people of Northern Ireland about the deal?

No, that won't be necessary. It is enough that we in the UK are horrified by the treatment of Northern Ireland, and therefore would rather we either stay in the EU or leave without any kind of agreement whatsoever.

It was utterly bizarre.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

I see it as the basis of a long term consensus that can be built upon, but will be enduring.

I've tired of Andrew Lilico's ravings, which lash out in a multitude of inconsistent directions daily.
    May's deal, if we're talking about the political declaration, wouldn't even form a consensus for the duration of the negotiations to turn it into a treaty. All of the essential trade-offs have been deferred.
  • Options
    So how big is this Trump news? Noise or significant?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, there is that.

Our sole remaining Spanish nurse kept quiet throughout, but looked uncomfortable. I later found out she has a flight booked for 30th March to visit her parents in Murcia! She is planning to stick around though for a couple of years at least
  • Options
    edited January 2019

I've never truly understood the criticism of Britain over partition. Mountbatten tried to avoid it. Jinnah wouldn't have it.

Maybe Congress would have preferred Britain to stay for a further five years to police a benign split but I don't remember much more from them during that period of history other than "Quit India".

So we did.

I got as far as this:

Prime Minister Theresa May has matched their arrogant obduracy, imposing a patently unworkable timetable of two years on Brexit

Then stopped.

If the writer thinks the two year timetable was May's idea I suspect the rest of the article is equally misinformed....
This discussion has been closed.