Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the immigration debate moves centre stage the minister i

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited February 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the immigration debate moves centre stage the minister in charge resigns for employing an illegal as his cleaner

Immigration Minister Mark Harper resigns after it emerged his cleaner did not have permission to work in the UK. pic.twitter.com/CD3uOfzKRe

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,513
    edited February 2014
    Messy for Dave, UKIP and Farage must be laughing their balls off.
  • Options
    FPT for Neil

I know, I know, but I've said before, in the world of politics, the perceptions sometimes matter more than the facts.

Mark Harper knew how damaging it would be for the government if he didn't resign.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    If he had supported an amnesty like Boris the cleaner wouldnt have been working illegally and he wouldnt have had to resign.
  • Options
    Let's hope he's set the standard for other ministers who fail to meet a higher standard. Too many try and cling on when they have been found wanting.
  • Options

Let's hope he's set the standard for other ministers who fail to meet a higher standard. Too many try and cling on when they have been found wanting.

Compare and contrast to Baroness Scotland

Baroness Scotland has sacked her housekeeper from Tonga, because she was allegedly working in the UK illegally.

The attorney general employed Loloahi Tapui, 27, for six months, the Daily Mail reported.
    She was a Home Office minister when laws were passed to fine bosses who employ illegal workers up to £10,000.

Downing St said Gordon Brown had "full confidence" in Baroness Scotland who says she hired Ms Tapui in "good faith" and thought she was entitled to work.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8260088.stm
  • Options
    How different, how very different, from our own dear Labour....

Gordon Brown today decided to allow the attorney general, Lady Scotland, to remain in government after she was fined £5,000 for employing an illegal immigrant.

The prime minister said he had decided to take no further action because Scotland had employed Loloahi Tapui, a housekeeper from Tonga, "in good faith" and had apologised "unreservedly".

But the Tories demanded Scotland's immediate resignation, pointing out that she was being punished for breaking a law that she had helped steer through parliament.

Chris Huhne, the Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman, said: "Lawmakers should not be law-breakers, and this applies even more to Baroness Scotland due to her special position as chief law officer. Her position now looks untenable."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/sep/22/lady-scotland-illegal-immigrant-brown
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Seems like a bit of a minor issue to resign over.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,949
    Snap!
  • Options
    Just when you thought the Russians couldn't get any more cuddlier...

Woman who lit the Olympic flame sent a racist tweet about Barack Obama last year

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/sochi/2014/02/07/winter-games-obama-flame-irina-rodnina-racist/5289869/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Chris Huhne, the Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman, said: "Lawmakers should not be law-breakers, and this applies even more to Baroness Scotland due to her special position as chief law officer. Her position now looks untenable."

History can be a cruel mistress....
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited February 2014
    UKIP's call for the Foreign Aid budget to be redirected to UK flood relief seems to have rattled some west country MPs. Lots of emails from constituents?

Ian Liddell-Grainger, Tory MP for flood-hit Bridgwater in Somerset
    Neil Parish, Tory MP for Tiverton and Honiton
    Jacob Rees-Mogg, Tory MP for North East Somerset

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2554324/Spend-foreign-aid-British-victims-flooding-MPs-impassioned-call-crisis-deepens.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2552969/Ukips-Nigel-Farage-calls-foreign-aid-budget-used-help-flood-hit-communities.html

• Options
    Mark Harper was behind the Go Home vans.....
  • Options
    Well done Ireland, another successful tip by me.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    edited February 2014
    'James Brokenshire to take Mark Harper's post. Karen Bradley to junior Home Office minister. Harriett Baldwin MP to become Govt Whip' rentoul

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/details-of-ministerial-appointments-announced
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Presume he will be prosecuted,in the same way as Lady Scotland.
  • Options

UKIP's call for the Foreign Aid budget to be redirected to UK flood relief seems to have rattled some west country MPs. Lots of emails from constituents?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2554324/Spend-foreign-aid-British-victims-flooding-MPs-impassioned-call-crisis-deepens.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2552969/Ukips-Nigel-Farage-calls-foreign-aid-budget-used-help-flood-hit-communities.html

The foreign aid budget is considerably less than the amount we give in "aid" to the developed countries of the EU.
  • Options
    There's a Belgian speed-skater called "Bart Swings"!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    We're Singin' In the Rain.....................Tootee toodeedoodedo....
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Very surprised by the dominance of Ireland's victory. They must be confident of a tilt at the tournament now.
  • Options

Very surprised by the dominance of Ireland's victory. They must be confident of a tilt at the tournament now.

As tipped by some wise fellow.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

There's a Belgian speed-skater called "Bart Swings"!

Must be something to do with UNS.

• Options
    edited February 2014

The foreign aid budget is considerably less than the amount we give in "aid" to the developed countries of the EU.
    Fair point. Writing in the Express Mr Farage did suggest money from the EU budget.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/458527/FARAGE-ON-FRIDAY-Let-s-demand-EU-cashback-and-divert-foreign-aid-for-flood-victims
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, indeed. Oh well.
  • Options
    Great discipline from Ireland but Wales were really bad. The last move of the match was embarrassing, they just seemed to stop. I know I said it was worth backing Ireland for the championship and laying off before their away games (good return from that already) but I think they want to win this championship more than anyone else this year so I'm going to hold on to the bet. Heart 1 - Head 0.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, indeed. Oh well.

I also had a 40/1 winner today as well.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

As tipped by some wise fellow.
    Careful, Mr. Eagles, or I shall start putting money on your tips and with my luck recently you wouldn't like the result.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Neil said:

Great discipline from Ireland but Wales were really bad. The last move of the match was embarrassing, they just seemed to stop. I know I said it was worth backing Ireland for the championship and laying off before their away games (good return from that already) but I think they want to win this championship more than anyone else this year so I'm going to hold on to the bet. Heart 1 - Head 0.

Embarrassing was the "handbags at ten paces" after the last try.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Lazy sod should be cleaning his own home anyway.
  • Options

Fair point.
    Or, in bar chart form:

pic.twitter.com/kgpj75T0LY
  • Options
    @TSE

Phillips is an annoying so-and-so.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, .... and I didn't even see the tip :(

Those are tremendous odds.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@TSE

Phillips is an annoying so-and-so.

Well he is Welsh....
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Mr. Eagles, .... and I didn't even see the tip :(

Those are tremendous odds.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to post them on the site.

I did post the winning betting slip afterwards though
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    edited February 2014
    Perhaps Mark Harper should have parked one of the `Go Home` vans in his driveway.Shows how ineffective his campaign really was.Nice chap though.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, *sighs*
  • Options
    On resignations: didn't Estelle Morris resign on the basis she wasn't up to it? If only Brown had followed her example!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Not sure why he resigned. Only if he knowingly and deliberately employed her without the right legal status is this dodgy.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, *sighs*

I'm going to reinvest some of my winnings on Scotland to beat England at 5/1 with Coral

http://www.oddschecker.com/rugby-union/six-nations/scotland-v-england/winner

And England to win by 21-30 points at 9/2

http://www.oddschecker.com/rugby-union/six-nations/scotland-v-england/winning-margin
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Not sure why he resigned. Only if he knowingly and deliberately employed her without the right legal status is this dodgy.

Had he been a Minister without the Immigration portfolio, he would have been able to hang on, it's the equivalent of the Transport Minister that gets caught by the police for Drink Driviing
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    An honorable course of action. He should be able to return to ministerial politics at some point in the future I'd imagine (If the Conservatives stay in Gov't)
  • Options
    Wonder which Sunday newspaper is re-doing its front page?

And I'm not sure I buy Harper's 'Although I complied with the law at all times' as one of the requirements of the law is that you keep records - his 'I lost them' cost Baroness Scotland £5,000......
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Does Mark Harper use the go home van to store his cleaner
  • Options
    I wonder if a friendly newspaper tipped the Tories off about Mark Harper.
  • Options
    UKIP saved their deposit in his constituency in 2010, so a better than average seat for them. They could make a fair bit of progress there.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    It was a silly thing to do, especially since every employer in the UK has a legal duty to verify the right of each employee to work in the UK. However the contrast between his immediate resignation and the failure of a Labour Government Law Officer, Baroness Scotland to resign when caught employing an illegal worker is marked as is the failure of former Labour cabinet minister Lord Smith who is hanging on at the English Environment Agency.
  • Options
    He says he saw the visa in 2007 and then when he became immigration minister he thought he`ll check again but forgot.And finally after 4 years he managed to do that.Why would he check again if he saw the permit.Odd!
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    @Sunil

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that. You have quoted the 'cost' of being in the 'club' without mentioning the benefits, tangible and otherwise.

Not saying that the EU is perfect, but to leave it is sheer lunacy. The UK would become an isolated and poor backwater of north-west Europe as multi-nationals leave the UK in their droves.

John Major hit the nail on the head...

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/john-major-warns-of-cost-of-britain-leaving-eu-1-3213922

• Options
    jayfdee said:

Presume he will be prosecuted,in the same way as Lady Scotland.

She wasn't "prosecuted". It was a civil penalty, like a very expensive glorified parking ticket.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

@Sunil

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that. You have quoted the 'cost' of being in the 'club' without mentioning the benefits, tangible and otherwise.

Not saying that the EU is perfect, but to leave it is sheer lunacy. The UK would become an isolated and poor backwater of north-west Europe as multi-nationals leave the UK in their droves.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/john-major-warns-of-cost-of-britain-leaving-eu-1-3213922

Er, why should the cost of being in any 'club' be a net 10 billion quid?
  • Options
    West Ham! :)
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

Er, cost of not being in the 'club' - poverty, isolation and irrelevance...
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

He says he saw the visa in 2007 and then when he became immigration minister he thought he`ll check again but forgot.And finally after 4 years he managed to do that.Why would he check again if he saw the permit.Odd!

All immigration work permits etc contain time limits. The only exception is where someone is given indefinite leave to remain which is usually a precursor for applying for British citizenship. Work permits and Visas like photo driving licenses catch out the majority who don't read the fine print. By law, Blair imposed an obligation on ALL UK employers to be satisfied all employees have the right to live and work in the UK. They are supposed to view and retain a copy of the employee's birth certificate if a British citizen, of their passport or identity card if an EU citizen or of their passport and Visa/Work permit stamp if non EU.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

How different, how very different, from our own dear Labour....

Gordon Brown today decided to allow the attorney general, Lady Scotland, to remain in government after she was fined £5,000 for employing an illegal immigrant.

The prime minister said he had decided to take no further action because Scotland had employed Loloahi Tapui, a housekeeper from Tonga, "in good faith" and had apologised "unreservedly".

But the Tories demanded Scotland's immediate resignation, pointing out that she was being punished for breaking a law that she had helped steer through parliament.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/sep/22/lady-scotland-illegal-immigrant-brown

I like the Chris Huhne quote... ;-)
  • Options
    The Murrayfield pitch looks only slightly better than the current state of Hackney Marshes. We're probably in for some old style rugby today.
  • Options

SMukesh said:

All immigration work permits etc contain time limits. The only exception is where someone is given indefinite leave to remain which is usually a precursor for applying for British citizenship. Work permits and Visas like photo driving licenses catch out the majority who don't read the fine print. By law, Blair imposed an obligation on ALL UK employers to be satisfied all employees have the right to live and work in the UK. They are supposed to view and retain a copy of the employee's birth certificate if a British citizen, of their passport or identity card if an EU citizen or of their passport and Visa/Work permit stamp if non EU.
    The cleaner is supposed to have had Indefinite leave to remain in 2007.I suspect the real story will come out in one of the Sunday newspapers.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    edited February 2014
    Neil said:

The Murrayfield pitch looks only slightly better than the current state of Hackney Marshes. We're probably in for some old style rugby today.

I think they're playing on the Somerset levels. Mooryfield.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873
    Afternoon all :)

I'm afraid other matters kept me from commenting on David H's piece this morning. I understand the point, I think, but I'm not wholly convinced.

There are, to my mind, three distinct voting blocks at the moment - the "Blue" side which is the Conservative vote plus maybe 40% of the UKIP numbers, the "Red" side which is the Labour vote plus perhaps 10% of the UKIP vote and the "Rest" which is what it says on the tin.

When I look at poll numbers I add 40% of the UKIP score to the Conservatives and 10% to Labour and that tells me what a GE would look like at the moment. Hugely imprecise but we have to start somewhere.

I do agree with the premise that the movement is between "Blue" and "Rest" or "Red" and "Rest" and this might explain the fairly static poll numbers since the spring of 2012.

As for Mark Harper, well, yes, he had to go and it's an embarrassment that the Conservatives could probably do without but it's not much more than that. Whether or not UKIP gain any temporary traction is debatable and within a fortnight this will be ancient history (or it may not).
  • Options
    Neil said:

Oh, we're playing at Murrayfield, I thought we were playing on muddy fields of the Somme circa 1917
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,349
    edited February 2014
    murali_s said:

Er, cost of not being in the 'club' - poverty, isolation and irrelevance...

Show how Norway or Switzerland are isolated, poor and irrelevant.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited February 2014
    Jonathan said:

Wrong, an employer is legally required to ensure their employees have permission to work in the UK at all times. MH has failed to do this and has broken the law. I'm guessing his cleaners visa expired and he didn't make note of the expiry date.
  • Options

UKIP saved their deposit in his constituency in 2010, so a better than average seat for them. They could make a fair bit of progress there.

Forest of Dean was one of UKIP's 2013 'wins'

http://survation.com/2013/05/ukip-won-in-8-westminster-constituencies-last-thursday/

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/forestofdean/
  • Options
    Clearly Scotland have been ordered to throw the game because it creates a better narrative ahead of IndyRef
  • Options
    It would take a heart of stone not to laugh. In practice, his speedy resignation will kill the story. Mr Harper has my sympathy.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Tories only have themselves to blame.

While of course Baroness Scotland & Gordon Brown did the honourable thing......

• Options

Clearly Scotland have been ordered to throw the game because it creates a better narrative ahead of IndyRef

Yes - Better together.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,777
    edited February 2014

Jonathan said:

I'm guessing his cleaners visa expired and he didn't make note of the expiry date.
    His account is that she had a letter confirming 'indefinite leave to remain' (no expiry) which turned out to be false....
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Wrong, an employer is legally required to ensure their employees have permission to work in the UK at all times. MH has failed to do this and has broken the law. I'm guessing his cleaners visa expired and he didn't make note of the expiry date.
    On the account he gives in his resignation letter, she was self-employed.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    If you are responsible for creating laws, you have to stick to them.

It's hardly a major crime, and he has reacted speedily. Unless more comes out (and who knows?) then it should hardly be the end of his political career.

But:

Hahahahaha hum.

Also: I wonder which other politicians are calling in their staff to re-check their status?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    antifrank said:

Jonathan said:

Which begs the question of how and why someone was given a work visa to be a self-employed cleaner. Not exactly a skilled occupation.
  • Options
    I think the only way Mark Harper can prove he saw the residence status of his cleaner is by showing photocopies of her visa in2007.The fact that he has misplaced them is no defence to the accusation that he didn`t check her status before employing her.
  • Options
    Scotland saved by the post there
  • Options

antifrank said:

Jonathan said:

Which begs the question of how and why someone was given a work visa to be a self-employed cleaner. Not exactly a skilled occupation.
    She didn't have a 'work visa' - she purported to have 'indefinite leave to remain' - which could be granted for a number of reasons (e.g. married to a Brit) - once you have that you can do any work you like - Harper's breech was in failing to keep the records.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

I think the only way Mark Harper can prove he saw the residence status of his cleaner is by showing photocopies of her visa in2007.The fact that he has misplaced them is no defence to the accusation that he didn`t check her status before employing her.

If she had a letter saying 'indefinite leave to remain' it would be the same letter in 2007 as 2014 - you only need one (the hint is in the 'indefinite') - but you are correct - he should have kept a copy of the document he saw 2007 - even if it was a fake.

Of course, I doubt Harper was her only employer - I wonder who else is feeling nervous tonight.....

• Options
    Slurryfield.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I'm guessing his cleaners visa expired and he didn't make note of the expiry date.
    I suggest you read his letter - multiple links below - which will save you from 'guessing'.....

• Options
    Murrayfield ?

Muddy field more like !
  • Options
    Tim Montgomerie tweets: The England rugby team clearly didn't read David Cameron's speech. WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE NICE TO THE SCOTS!* (*Offer expires late September)
  • Options
    Scots need to eat more porridge. The England boys simply look bigger.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Fair point. Writing in the Express Mr Farage did suggest money from the EU budget.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/458527/FARAGE-ON-FRIDAY-Let-s-demand-EU-cashback-and-divert-foreign-aid-for-flood-victims
    The re-designations of aid budgets and HS2 budgets have been demanded ten times over. How very Labour!

• Options

Aye, but a better narrative for which side?
    'Scottish rugby will be sh*te until independence' or 'Scottish rugby is so sh*te you don't deserve independence.'

• Options
    England become so predictable within 10 yards of the try line. Happened last week; happening again this week. So frustrating.
  • Options
    Perfect bok. My try. Thank-you!!!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,949
    perdix said:

The re-designations of aid budgets and HS2 budgets have been demanded ten times over. How very Labour!

Channelling Paul Weller "That's Opposition, that's opposition.... " Em, G, Em, G

• Options

Perfect bok. My try. Thank-you!!!

Can you say England won't win by 21-30 points please.

• Options
    smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited February 2014
    murali_s said:

@Sunil

Yeah right one of the masterminds behind the British ERM debacle. Major has about as much credibility on the EU as Brown has on economic matters.

If we want to play those games lets then talk about the real costs and not just the membership fee.

EU 'costs Britain £118bn a year'
    The European Union's vast cost is one of the biggest reasons to be concerned about Britain's relationship with it, says Matthew Elliott.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/6198708/EU-costs-Britain-118bn-a-year.html

Ironic that's about the same as the current annual government overspend.
  • Options
    perdix said:

And yet the money has yet to be redirected and is therefore is still available to be redirected
  • Options

England become so predictable within 10 yards of the try line. Happened last week; happening again this week. So frustrating.

You're right though, England look far more dangerous ~ 30 yards from the tryline than 10 !
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    I was so pleased when I heard that Scotland were bringing on a sub called MacSevens, and so disappointed when I saw he was called Max Evans....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

You're right though, England look far more dangerous ~ 30 yards from the tryline than 10 !

Against good sides it is going to be a problem. They are a bit ponderous and predictable - which is strange given how fluid they are in getting there in the first place.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Against good sides it is going to be a problem. They are a bit ponderous and predictable - which is strange given how fluid they are in getting there in the first place.

Look at this way, they're just refining and making sure they peak in time for the World Cup (I hope!)
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    On the assumption that there's nothing more to come out - well done him for resigning.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    The only urgent question that UKIP want to ask of Mark Harper is

"Did she clean behind the fridge?"
  • Options

The only urgent question that UKIP want to ask of Mark Harper is

"Did she clean behind the fridge?"

Smeg! :)
  • Options
    Harper had to go once David Cameron had read the previous thread about the excess of Oxford PPEs.
  • Options
    Very, very easy. Sad to see how poor Scotland have become. They need some marauding Borderers to appear from somewhere. England a work on progress and looking very strong until those last 10 yards. Crack that and next year could get very interesting.
  • Options
    21-30 points pipped by a nose.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873
    Evening all :)

I'm puzzled as to why the "cost" of being in something should be the rationale for whether we join it or not. I suspect being in the UN "costs" and I also suspect being in NATO "costs" as well.

If you start from a hostile position then an analysis based simply on accounting can usually support your position but if our future international relations are going to be based on knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing - well, that will be a strange way of doing things.

The question is less how much does it cost to be in the EU, UN or NATO but rather what value do we get from being a member of these organisations (and others ?).

The same argument can be used when discussing international aid as well.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

I'm puzzled as to why the "cost" of being in something should be the rationale for whether we join it or not. I suspect being in the UN "costs" and I also suspect being in NATO "costs" as well.

If you start from a hostile position then an analysis based simply on accounting can usually support your position but if our future international relations are going to be based on knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing - well, that will be a strange way of doing things.

The question is less how much does it cost to be in the EU, UN or NATO but rather what value do we get from being a member of these organisations (and others ?).

The same argument can be used when discussing international aid as well.

How else are you going to rigorously assess whether something is in the UK's national interest if not a cost-benefit analysis?

Naturally this includes more than just financial costs, but I would assume there are formulae that are accepted to calculate the value of these intangibles (e.g. I believe the value of a human life in traffic safety measures is set at £1 million)
  • Options

Very, very easy. Sad to see how poor Scotland have become. They need some marauding Borderers to appear from somewhere. England a work on progress and looking very strong until those last 10 yards. Crack that and next year could get very interesting.

Under the SNP Scotland seems to have had her venom drawn. The only passion on display at Murrayfield was from the England players and supporters.

This discussion has been closed.