Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the immigration debate moves centre stage the minister i

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,509
    edited February 2014
    Pulpstar said:

21-30 points pipped by a nose.

Scotland and England did it just to frustrate me.

With a 40/1 winner already today, I'm not complaining.

But Scotland got nil'd.

I remember how upset and embarrassed I was when we were nil'd in the 2007 RWC by the Saffers.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    So do all three cheeks of the political class support flooding British ex-citizens out of their homes by stealth?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873
    Charles said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

I'm puzzled as to why the "cost" of being in something should be the rationale for whether we join it or not. I suspect being in the UN "costs" and I also suspect being in NATO "costs" as well.

If you start from a hostile position then an analysis based simply on accounting can usually support your position but if our future international relations are going to be based on knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing - well, that will be a strange way of doing things.

The question is less how much does it cost to be in the EU, UN or NATO but rather what value do we get from being a member of these organisations (and others ?).

The same argument can be used when discussing international aid as well.

How else are you going to rigorously assess whether something is in the UK's national interest if not a cost-benefit analysis?

Naturally this includes more than just financial costs, but I would assume there are formulae that are accepted to calculate the value of these intangibles (e.g. I believe the value of a human life in traffic safety measures is set at £1 million)
    Of course but the terms of the debate on both the EU and Scottish Independence seem dominated by the "costs" which are quantifiable and the "benefits" or "value" which often aren't.

Those arguing a position based on benefit as distinct from those arguing on a basis of cost are often at a disadvantage but that doesn't make them wrong.

• Options
    murali_s said:

@Sunil

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that. You have quoted the 'cost' of being in the 'club' without mentioning the benefits, tangible and otherwise.

Not saying that the EU is perfect, but to leave it is sheer lunacy. The UK would become an isolated and poor backwater of north-west Europe as multi-nationals leave the UK in their droves.

John Major hit the nail on the head...

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/john-major-warns-of-cost-of-britain-leaving-eu-1-3213922

Just like all those multi-nationals who swore they would leave if we didn't join the Euro ...
  • Options
    murali_s said:

@Sunil

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that. You have quoted the 'cost' of being in the 'club' without mentioning the benefits, tangible and otherwise.

Not saying that the EU is perfect, but to leave it is sheer lunacy. The UK would become an isolated and poor backwater of north-west Europe as multi-nationals leave the UK in their droves.

John Major hit the nail on the head...

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/john-major-warns-of-cost-of-britain-leaving-eu-1-3213922

.... and on the whole the 'benefits' quoted of being in the EU are at best illusory and more often downright lies.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    edited February 2014
    murali_s said:

Er, cost of not being in the 'club' - poverty, isolation and irrelevance...

Nope. Another myth from the Eurofanatics
  • Options
    smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited February 2014
    stodge said:

I'm puzzled as to why the "cost" of being in something should be the rationale for whether we join it or not.

Well unless you have discovered a money tree or a goose that lays golden eggs, cost is always going to be a consideration because we have finite resources and many many demands upon those resources (and as a nation we are trillions in debt in a period of austerity).

So of course cost will be a primary consideration in doing anything that costs large amounts of cash.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    murali_s said:

Er, why should the cost of being in any 'club' be a net 10 billion quid?

Lies, myth and hyperbole.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I'm puzzled as to why the "cost" of being in something should be the rationale for whether we join it or not. I suspect being in the UN "costs" and I also suspect being in NATO "costs" as well.

Well, as others have pointed out, it's pretty bloody obvious - you can't work out if something is worth doing if you don't know the costs and the benefits.

• Options
    smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited February 2014
    stodge said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

If you start from a hostile position then an analysis based simply on accounting can usually support your position but if our future international relations are going to be based on knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing - well, that will be a strange way of doing things.

The question is less how much does it cost to be in the EU, UN or NATO but rather what value do we get from being a member of these organisations (and others ?).

The same argument can be used when discussing international aid as well.

How else are you going to rigorously assess whether something is in the UK's national interest if not a cost-benefit analysis?

Naturally this includes more than just financial costs, but I would assume there are formulae that are accepted to calculate the value of these intangibles (e.g. I believe the value of a human life in traffic safety measures is set at £1 million)
    Of course but the terms of the debate on both the EU and Scottish Independence seem dominated by the "costs" which are quantifiable and the "benefits" or "value" which often aren't.

Those arguing a position based on benefit as distinct from those arguing on a basis of cost are often at a disadvantage but that doesn't make them wrong.

Well if they are intangible and people clearly don't recognise them then you have problem because unless you can prove that they are benefits no one is going to accept them as benefits.

That's why people are increasingly Eurosceptic. The arguments used to justify the EU are not credible and people have learnt through bitter experience not to have faith in the words of politicians.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

So do all three cheeks of the political class support flooding British ex-citizens out of their homes by stealth?

It appears so.

It may well be that the value of agricultural land is now such that it is no longer worth maintaining the Levels as dry land. But if so, that policy needs to be made overtly - by politicians, not by an executive agency like the EA - and appropriate compensation paid by those disappropriated.

Not a decision made by the EA off its own bat to stop dredging, and bugger the consequences ten years hence.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    murali_s said:

Nope. Another myth from the Eurofanatics

That'll be why poor, isolated and irrelevant countries like the USA, Canada, Australia, Taiwan, Japan are queuing up to join an economic and political powerhouse that's given the world the stunningly successful economies of Greece, Spain, Italy and Portugal.

• Options

MrJones said:

It appears so.

It may well be that the value of agricultural land is now such that it is no longer worth maintaining the Levels as dry land. But if so, that policy needs to be made overtly - by politicians, not by an executive agency like the EA - and appropriate compensation paid by those disappropriated.

Not a decision made by the EA off its own bat to stop dredging, and bugger the consequences ten years hence.

Spot on.
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Most surprised by the entirely one-sided nature of the match. Could do with the Italians springing a surprise against the French.
  • Options
    stodge said:

The question is a balance of those two points, agreed. I don't see any value in the EU or the UN at all; in fact I think both of those organisations are fundamentally bad things. NATO as a military organisation kept us safe from the dark forces of the left during the Cold War and still has value in an unstable world.

If I had to pick two out of the three to stay in I'd pick NATO twice.

• Options

MrJones said:

It appears so.

[Like Button]

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    GeoffM said:

stodge said:

The question is a balance of those two points, agreed. I don't see any value in the EU or the UN at all; in fact I think both of those organisations are fundamentally bad things. NATO as a military organisation kept us safe from the dark forces of the left during the Cold War and still has value in an unstable world.

If I had to pick two out of the three to stay in I'd pick NATO twice.

Agree.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048

MrJones said:

It appears so.

It seems a fair fee posters agree with you; can I +1 it as well? ;-)
  • Options
    Turkish government seeks to make the internet 'more free' by allowing itself to block websites: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26103295
  • Options

Turkish government seeks to make the internet 'more free' by allowing itself to block websites: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26103295

I think that Erdogan is This comment has been blocked.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, freedom means the government removing material which is harmful from the internet. I'm sure there's nothing to fear.

On a serious note, one wonders if/when Turkey will turn away from this process of desecularisation and rising religious fundamentalism. Is there any prospect of Erdogan or his party losing power?
  • Options

stodge said:

Well, as others have pointed out, it's pretty bloody obvious - you can't work out if something is worth doing if you don't know the costs and the benefits.

I would argue a lot of things have happened without full knowledge of the "benefits" and without even full knowledge of the "costs".

What of HS2, Crossrail, the Channel Tunnel, NHS IT Projects, Blue Streak etc.. ? In London, the Emirates Cable Car now looks a ludicrous white elephant but at the time it was fully supported by all sides.

If we simply look at the "cost" of everything in isolation, we wouldn't do anything. I would further argue that you can set the perceived or actual cost of being in the EU as one thing but what about the money spent on QE which is at a completely different level ?

• Options
    It's very quiet tonight. Is everyone waiting for me to post about the impact of increased torque and harder tyres in F1 this season?
  • Options
    Mr. Stodge, I'd also ask: what price sovereignty?

Nobody was asked about joining a political union. The vote was on trade, it was after we'd joined and it was decades ago.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, freedom means the government removing material which is harmful from the internet. I'm sure there's nothing to fear.

On a serious note, one wonders if/when Turkey will turn away from this process of desecularisation and rising religious fundamentalism. Is there any prospect of Erdogan or his party losing power?

The ruling party is fighting amongst themselves at the moment, hence the recent court cases. The Gulen faction are opposing the Erdogan faction in the same way that they both opposed the secularists. It's quite funny. Gulen is a major figure, and is worth studying, especially his movement. It's either frightening or liberating, depending on your viewpoint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fethullah_Gülen

On the other hand, the Erdogan government (and the people of Turkey) are behaving brilliantly to the Syrian refugees who have crossed the border. They deserve congratulating for that, if nothing else.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100253796/turkeys-response-to-the-syrian-refugee-crisis-has-been-little-short-of-heroic/
  • Options

Mr. Stodge, I'd also ask: what price sovereignty?

Nobody was asked about joining a political union. The vote was on trade, it was after we'd joined and it was decades ago.

We were never "asked" about joining NATO and in effect we've pooled sovereignty to be part of that organisation. If Estonia is attacked by Russia, we are obliged to intervene militarily. One might argue that while defending Belgium in 1914 was clearly in our national interests but would it be the same ?

In any case, sovereignty is pooled across the UN and any number of international organisations. In the case of EU, we gave away part of our economic sovereignty when signing up for the Single Market (don't recall a referendum on that either).

The current arrangements whereby future changes to EU Treaties are subject to a UK Referendum is perfectly fine. We didn't have referenda on either Lisbon or Maastricht but that's water under the proverbial bridge.
  • Options
    Mr. Stodge, NATO isn't seeking to levy an FTT on the City of London.
  • Options
    It's curious how Yeo only discovered there were such extreme views after he was deselected...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,044
    edited February 2014
    Recently deceased 85 year old widow leaves the Tories £769,000 in her will but her carer only £2,000 and nothing for her family
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10624966/Frugal-widow-becomes-one-of-biggest-donors-in-history-of-Conservative-Party.html
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

He says he saw the visa in 2007 and then when he became immigration minister he thought he`ll check again but forgot.And finally after 4 years he managed to do that.Why would he check again if he saw the permit.Odd!

All immigration work permits etc contain time limits. The only exception is where someone is given indefinite leave to remain which is usually a precursor for applying for British citizenship. Work permits and Visas like photo driving licenses catch out the majority who don't read the fine print. By law, Blair imposed an obligation on ALL UK employers to be satisfied all employees have the right to live and work in the UK. They are supposed to view and retain a copy of the employee's birth certificate if a British citizen, of their passport or identity card if an EU citizen or of their passport and Visa/Work permit stamp if non EU.
    The cleaner is supposed to have had Indefinite leave to remain in 2007.I suspect the real story will come out in one of the Sunday newspapers.
    I cannot see any circumstance when an indefinite right to stay expires. I am not sure why he should have re-checked her visa status. There was nothing to check.

Conversely, how would someone know an employee is British just because he/she says so ?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Given that there seems to be a lot of documentation pointing at flooding people out of their homes as a deliberate policy i hope there's some ambulance-chasing lawyers about.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/10625663/Flooding-Somerset-Levels-disaster-is-being-driven-by-EU-policy.html

"down to “Policy 6’’ where, to promote “biodiversity”, the strategy should be to “increase flooding”. The Somerset Levels were covered by Policy 6."
  • Options
    Hugh said:

MrJones said:

It appears so.

Tory politicians rightly decided that dredging was a counter-productive waste of money.

Why should taxpayers fork out compensation for people who decide to live on floodplain marshland that has inevitably and unavoidably flooded?
    What utter garbage. The levels have been maintained as farming land and communities for hundreds of years by farmers and local communities doing their own dredging and maintaining the drainage - the same communities who drained the levels and made them productive in the first place.

What has changed is that government has come in, taken over responsibility for the maintenance and then not only decided not to carry it out but refused to allow anyone else to do it either.

If it had been left to the farmers the chances are it would not have got to this point.

Of course being a blind lefty you can only see government interference as a good thing. This is a classic case that proves who idiotic that idea really is.

This is not the same as building on flood plains. Flood plains serve n entirely different purpose. This is the equivalent of leaving Holland to sink beneath the waves once again and then saying the Dutch were stupid to have built there in the first place.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

MrJones said:

It appears so.

Tory politicians rightly decided that dredging was a counter-productive waste of money.

Why should taxpayers fork out compensation for people who decide to live on floodplain marshland that has inevitably and unavoidably flooded?
    Typical farmer types. Always wants subsidies. Just give them a few boats and tell them to live in them.

Scroungers all !
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

I would argue a lot of things have happened without full knowledge of the "benefits" and without even full knowledge of the "costs".

What of HS2, Crossrail, the Channel Tunnel, NHS IT Projects, Blue Streak etc.. ? In London, the Emirates Cable Car now looks a ludicrous white elephant but at the time it was fully supported by all sides.

If we simply look at the "cost" of everything in isolation, we wouldn't do anything. I would further argue that you can set the perceived or actual cost of being in the EU as one thing but what about the money spent on QE which is at a completely different level ?

So what you are saying is that we should ignore the costs - not bother about them whatever they might be - whilst at the same time taking it on faith that the benefits of EU membership are so obvious they do not need to be calculated.

I am sure that is going to be a winning argument.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Hugh said:

stodge said:
    He should stay in the Tory Party and help drag them into the 21st century after defeat in 2015.

The Tories need to move on from desperate rightwing ideologues like Gove, Cameron, Osborne, IDS, and modernise.
    You think Cameron is a "desperate rightwing ideologue"? Oh dear.

PS "inevitably" means "unavoidably" and vice versa.

• Options
    Mr. Tyndall, not had this confirmed (heard it anecdotally) but apparently in part of East Anglia they refused point blank to let the Environment AGency handle dredging, and still do it themselves.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

MrJones said:

It appears so.

Tory politicians? I presume you mean Tories in the sense of Blairites? This has been going on ten years or more.

The Levels aren't floodplain; they are reclaimed land. Historically, they have been maintained by government (originally mostly local) and by locals cooperating with government doing things like clearing ditches. People who bought property there did so in the knowledge that this land has historically been maintained as dry land.

Your argument is a bit like saying: if you live next to a pub, surely I should put up with people pissing in my front garden? If I live next to a paper factory, I should put up with my house being burnt down every now and again. The answer to both is No. While you might expect a pub to be more lively than a house occupied by an elderly spinster, there are laws against public nuisance which we expect the authorities to enforce. We also expect the fire brigade to put out fires which threaten our properties. That is what we pay taxes for.

If the Levels are to be abandoned - that policy needs to be made clearly and overtly, and appropriate measures put in place to compensate those who bought properties expecting the status quo to be maintained.

• Options

Mr. Stodge, NATO isn't seeking to levy an FTT on the City of London.

Before you put the enormo-haddock on the launch pad, Mr Dancer, you were the one who used the term "sovereignty".
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    " If Estonia is attacked by Russia, we are obliged to intervene militarily."

Nope. Please read the NATO treaty. We would be obliged to take such action as we deem necessary to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic Area (Article 5 refers).

We could (and probably would given the state of our armed forces) deem it necessary to send a sharp note to the Russians and maybe even table a motion at the UN. We would then have discharged our obligations.

NATO is a nonsense and has been for the past couple of decades.
  • Options
    Mr. Stodge, the enormo-haddock require no launchpad. They can strike from anywhere, at any time.

True, but there's a qualitative difference between a foreign body deliberately damaging our economy through taxation that disproportionately affects us and a reciprocal defence arrangement, and you're being a tinker by pretending otherwise.

As an aside, it occurs to me the EU has all the power hungry meddling of the worst days of Rome and Byzantium and none of the virtues. Ah, imagine what we could do with a Trajan or Aurelian at the helm.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

He says he saw the visa in 2007 and then when he became immigration minister he thought he`ll check again but forgot.And finally after 4 years he managed to do that.Why would he check again if he saw the permit.Odd!

All immigration work permits etc contain time limits. The only exception is where someone is given indefinite leave to remain which is usually a precursor for applying for British citizenship. Work permits and Visas like photo driving licenses catch out the majority who don't read the fine print. By law, Blair imposed an obligation on ALL UK employers to be satisfied all employees have the right to live and work in the UK. They are supposed to view and retain a copy of the employee's birth certificate if a British citizen, of their passport or identity card if an EU citizen or of their passport and Visa/Work permit stamp if non EU.
    The cleaner is supposed to have had Indefinite leave to remain in 2007.I suspect the real story will come out in one of the Sunday newspapers.
    I cannot see any circumstance when an indefinite right to stay expires. I am not sure why he should have re-checked her visa status. There was nothing to check.
    Does ILR always come with the right to work?

• Options
    Hugh said:

stodge said:
    He should stay in the Tory Party and help drag them into the 21st century after defeat in 2015.

The Tories need to move on from desperate rightwing ideologues like Gove, Cameron, Osborne, IDS, and modernise.
    My God this chap Hugh is really thick.
  • Options
    Civilization pretty much boils down to digging and maintaining drainage ditches.
  • Options
    All this guff about the use of the EU and why we should be out is, I must admit, rather amusing.

First reason : for the first time in 60 years the UK or the nations within the UK, or the nations now in the EU have not been in war with each other.

Secondly : and sorry folks, but within the next 100 years the major blocks; EU, Africa, South America, North America, South Asia and Australia, India, China and the Arabian Penisula will either be at war or have amalgamated to form a single government.

Rubbish all the Kippers will be saying, but consider this, through out history, families joined together to form hamlets for the joint protection, hamlets became villages, villages became towns, towns became cities, etc., etc.. To protect themselves from the multi-national companies, as well as collecting taxes due, the blocks will have to cooperate one way or another.

Of course, the South of Engerlund could try and be a Swiss or Caribbean island equivalent, but a world government could just as easily isolate the area, but I would like to think that the residents wouldn't be that daft.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Hugh said:

stodge said:

You mean the tories should come to your leftwing idea's,if that happens,why don't we just call the tories blue labour.

We know one thing,you will still hate them.

• Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Hugh said:

stodge said:

My God this chap Hugh is really thick.
    PB Hodges Memorandum - If you are not right wing, you are thick.
  • Options

So what you are saying is that we should ignore the costs - not bother about them whatever they might be - whilst at the same time taking it on faith that the benefits of EU membership are so obvious they do not need to be calculated.

I'm not sure I'm saying that - what I am saying is that if we are going to apply one set of criteria to the viability of EU membership, we should apply the same set to everything else.

There seems a huge disparity over the "cost" of EU membership. I don't know the truth - what I do know is that while there are those who assert that the rationale behind our continuing membership is simply to perpetuate the interests of a self-elected political elite, I suspect there are other more compelling reasons why we stay in.

I do agree that those who advocate continuing membership need to put forward a stronger argument and even those like me who wish to stay in but see the un deniable case for root-and-branch reform have to be clear about where that reform would lead.
  • Options
    Mr. Rokz, I fear you're 100% wrong. The EU cannot survive because its constant drive for closer ties lack democratic consent and economic sense (cf the eurozone). It'll be torn apart sooner or later, and we'll end up with mass civil disturbance at best and war at worst. The sooner it falls the better, before so much integration occurs that disentangling it becomes very, very difficult.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

MrJones said:

It appears so.

Tory politicians? I presume you mean Tories in the sense of Blairites? This has been going on ten years or more.

The Levels aren't floodplain; they are reclaimed land. Historically, they have been maintained by government (originally mostly local) and by locals cooperating with government doing things like clearing ditches. People who bought property there did so in the knowledge that this land has historically been maintained as dry land.

Your argument is a bit like saying: if you live next to a pub, surely I should put up with people pissing in my front garden? If I live next to a paper factory, I should put up with my house being burnt down every now and again. The answer to both is No. While you might expect a pub to be more lively than a house occupied by an elderly spinster, there are laws against public nuisance which we expect the authorities to enforce. We also expect the fire brigade to put out fires which threaten our properties. That is what we pay taxes for.

If the Levels are to be abandoned - that policy needs to be made clearly and overtly, and appropriate measures put in place to compensate those who bought properties expecting the status quo to be maintained.

No need to have a policy of abandoning the floodplain marshlands. Just that the people there have to accept that they will flood, and it will happen more and more often, and no-one can stop it so don't coming begging the State for help.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/10625663/Flooding-Somerset-Levels-disaster-is-being-driven-by-EU-policy.html

"down to “Policy 6’’ where, to promote “biodiversity”, the strategy should be to “increase flooding”. The Somerset Levels were covered by Policy 6."
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Er, why should the cost of being in any 'club' be a net 10 billion quid?

Don't forget the 3m jobs that will go.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Hugh said:

This is not the same as building on flood plains.

Building on flood plains isn't the same as building on flood plains? Interesting argument.

Nothing could have stopped this flooding, the only thing to blame is the extreme weather.

And as we continue to change the climate it's only going to get worse, so time to come up with some proper long term solutions, otherwise the farmers can kiss goodbye to their land.

Somerset is one big lake. Dredging? Lol.

You really are dim, aren't you? We are talking about farmland here. Does it not occur to you that farming land, whether it's a flood plain or not, is different from and inconsistent with building on it?

Probably not.

• Options
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

MrJones said:

It appears so.

No need to have a policy of abandoning the floodplain marshlands. Just that the people there have to accept that they will flood, and it will happen more and more often, and no-one can stop it so don't coming begging the State for help.
    No need to have a policy of providing Jobseeker's Allowance to those out of work. Just that people have to accept that they will sometimes be out of work, and that it will happen more and more often, and no-one can stop it so don't come begging the State for help.

• Options

Mr. Stodge, the enormo-haddock require no launchpad. They can strike from anywhere, at any time.

True, but there's a qualitative difference between a foreign body deliberately damaging our economy through taxation that disproportionately affects us and a reciprocal defence arrangement, and you're being a tinker by pretending otherwise.

As an aside, it occurs to me the EU has all the power hungry meddling of the worst days of Rome and Byzantium and none of the virtues. Ah, imagine what we could do with a Trajan or Aurelian at the helm.

I call my six year old nephew "a tinker" but there you go...

To play Devil's Advocate, let me suggest that in all large organisations there comes a point when it is necessary to disadvantage one part of the organisation to benefit the whole.

Proponents of the FTT might argue that the revenue raised will benefit the whole of the EU just as a Council might close a service in one area to provide a better service in another.

That's a hard one for the disadvantaged area to swallow but that's how it is sometimes.
  • Options

surbiton said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

From the passports I have seen, it usually has the following on eline:

Leave to remain in the UK indefinitely.

In other words, there are no restrictions of any kind.
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

All this guff about the use of the EU and why we should be out is, I must admit, rather amusing.

First reason : for the first time in 60 years the UK or the nations within the UK, or the nations now in the EU have not been in war with each other.

Secondly : and sorry folks, but within the next 100 years the major blocks; EU, Africa, South America, North America, South Asia and Australia, India, China and the Arabian Penisula will either be at war or have amalgamated to form a single government.

Rubbish all the Kippers will be saying, but consider this, through out history, families joined together to form hamlets for the joint protection, hamlets became villages, villages became towns, towns became cities, etc., etc.. To protect themselves from the multi-national companies, as well as collecting taxes due, the blocks will have to cooperate one way or another.

Of course, the South of Engerlund could try and be a Swiss or Caribbean island equivalent, but a world government could just as easily isolate the area, but I would like to think that the residents wouldn't be that daft.

Point 1 - we have not been at war with Japan for 60 years despite them not being in the EU. We have not been at war with Turkey for 90 years despite them not being in the EU. We have not been at war with Russia for 140 years despite them not being in the EU

Point 2 - Have you asked any of the peoples of these nations about this? If you look at the trend it's actually for countries to split up into smaller units e.g South Sudan, East Timor, Indie refs in Scotland and maybe Catalonia
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

MrJones said:

It appears so.

Fine. So you would have no problem with them forming a co-operative to dredge the rivers themselves? Because co-ops are good, right?
  • Options
    Mr. Stodge, you're lucky I didn't call you a naughty tinker and send you off to bed without supper! :p

Also, that argument is despicable and anyone who genuinely believed the British economy should be shafted to help Brussels will be added to the space cannon list.

There is no democratic legitimacy behind the unelected, unaccountable and unaudited EU taxing the UK. It's completely unacceptable.
  • Options
    stodge said:

To play Devil's Advocate, let me suggest that in all large organisations there comes a point when it is necessary to disadvantage one part of the organisation to benefit the whole.

Proponents of the FTT might argue that the revenue raised will benefit the whole of the EU just as a Council might close a service in one area to provide a better service in another.

That's a hard one for the disadvantaged area to swallow but that's how it is sometimes.
    There is also general view that disproportionate harm to one part to benefit the whole is inequitable.

The UK without the City with be in a bad way economically. It is not a good thing that we are so dependent on one specific industry, and we should be actively working to rebalance the economy, but right now we are where we are
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014
    edited February 2014
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

I'm sure ILR can coexist with "no recourse to public funds" so wondered if it can also coexist with not having the right to work.

Although I was always confused about letting refugees into the country and not giving the right to work: ie you can come in as long as you scrounge off the tax payer. If you want to stand on your own two feet you can fuck right off.

I also wonder if ILR is issued on a time-limited basis, ie indefinite doesn't mean it doesn't have to be renewed from time to time.

• Options
    Charles said:

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

MrJones said:

It appears so.

Fine. So you would have no problem with them forming a co-operative to dredge the rivers themselves? Because co-ops are good, right?

• Options
    Hugh said:

Charles said:

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

MrJones said:

It appears so.

Though if their actions exacerbate flooding downstream they should pay for it rather than expecting the taxpayer to pick up the tab, entitlement culture and all that.
    I guess you don't have the same problem with the entitlement culture of those who expect the taxpayer to pick up the tab for their 4 (or more) children, house and car and can't be arsed going to work?

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Evening all, its nearly 10pm and no polls yet. Are we not even getting a YouJokeGov tonight?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

I believe it also has "no recourse to public benefits" which really sucks.
  • Options

Evening all, its nearly 10pm and no polls yet. Are we not even getting a YouJokeGov tonight?

I'm not aware of any polls tonight apart from the usual YouGov which will probably be published in the morning.

• Options

It usually gets tweeted at 10 or thereabouts. It is also 4 weeks since the last ICM/Guardian and I think 5 since a Survation/MailoS

• Options
    Hugh said:

No problem at all. They can dredge the rivers, do rain dances, whatever they want. Won't stop them flooding but it might create a bit of community bonding.

Though if their actions exacerbate flooding downstream they should pay for it rather than expecting the taxpayer to pick up the tab, entitlement culture and all that.

And that's exactly the problem.

Originally the local farmers (there were bodies to manage it) handled the dredging.

When the EA was set up it (1) took over the responsibilities of the river authorities, including dredging; (2) decided not to do dredge; and (3) refusing to allow the farmers to do it themselves.

It's big government deciding they know what is best, acting in a way that has serious negative consequences for local residents, and then refusing to compensate them for the damage their decisions caused.
  • Options
    Charles said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Why does that suck? If we made it the most usual immigration condition, we could then afford to be more flexible on immigration. All those people who immigrated to the USA in the19th and early 20th centuries and made it great... did so on a "no recourse" basis.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    Edin_Rokz said:

100 years ago, it was obvious that all the world would be divided between half a dozen empires.

It didn't turn out like that.

• Options
    edited February 2014

Why does that suck? If we made it the most usual immigration condition, we could then afford to be more flexible on immigration. All those people who immigrated to the USA in the19th and early 20th centuries and made it great... did so on a "no recourse" basis.

Creates two classes of citizens. Either you accept someone into the country or you don't.

My wife is an American citizen with ILR status. Before she decided to become a full-time Mum, she worked and paid taxes for 6 years. But without any recourse to public benefits (technically not even the NHS).
  • Options
    Charles said:

Creates two classes of citizens. Either you accept someone into the country or you don't.

My wife is an American citizen with ILR status. Before she decided to become a full-time Mum, she worked and paid taxes for 6 years. But without any recourse to public benefits (technically not even the NHS).
    The disparity is - your wife was here on a No Recourse basis, but plenty of other people who show up on the beach get the works from day 1.

Anyway you say "two classes of citizens". Once Mrs Charles takes British citizenship presumably she will qualify for everything? If she decides not to, that is her own look out.

IMO we need to move the qualification for benefits from "everyone who lives here gets it" to something more like residency.

• Options
    Charles said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

"without recourse to public funds" usually refers to "leaves to remain" that have time limits to them - once someone has "indefinite leave to remain" they are no longer subject to immigration control - except where someone has gained leave to remain through sponsorship - in which case the prohibition of access to public funds is understandable.

• Options
    Charles said:

Hugh said:

No problem at all. They can dredge the rivers, do rain dances, whatever they want. Won't stop them flooding but it might create a bit of community bonding.

Originally the local farmers (there were bodies to manage it) handled the dredging.

When the EA was set up it (a1) took over the responsibilities of the river authorities, including dredging; (2) decided not to do dredge; and (3) refusing to allow the farmers to do it themselves.

It's big government deciding they know what is best, acting in a way that has serious negative consequences for local residents, and then refusing to compensate them for the damage their decisions caused.

According to today's Times the government - not the EA - refused to pay for dredging in the Levels when specifically requested last September.

• Options

Charles said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

"without recourse to public funds" usually refers to "leaves to remain" that have time limits to them - once someone has "indefinite leave to remain" they are no longer subject to immigration control - except where someone has gained leave to remain through sponsorship - in which case the prohibition of access to public funds is understandable.

ILR depends on circumstances (e.g. being married to Charles). IIRC even "indefinite" leave needs to be reviewed from time to time to make sure your circumstances haven't changed.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    stodge said:

That's the point at which the inhabitants of that area might decide they're better off governing themselves.

• Options
    stodge said:

I'm not sure I'm saying that - what I am saying is that if we are going to apply one set of criteria to the viability of EU membership, we should apply the same set to everything else.

There seems a huge disparity over the "cost" of EU membership. I don't know the truth - what I do know is that while there are those who assert that the rationale behind our continuing membership is simply to perpetuate the interests of a self-elected political elite, I suspect there are other more compelling reasons why we stay in.

I do agree that those who advocate continuing membership need to put forward a stronger argument and even those like me who wish to stay in but see the un deniable case for root-and-branch reform have to be clear about where that reform would lead.
    Absolutely we should apply the same criteria. And if a cost benefit analysis was done on the EU, NATO and the UN you and I both know which one would be shown to cost the most (by several magnitudes) and also was the least beneficial to us.

Your problem seems to be you don't want the cost/benefit done because you know you won't like the results.
  • Options

Charles said:

The disparity is - your wife was here on a No Recourse basis, but plenty of other people who show up on the beach get the works from day 1.

Anyway you say "two classes of citizens". Once Mrs Charles takes British citizenship presumably she will qualify for everything? If she decides not to, that is her own look out.

IMO we need to move the qualification for benefits from "everyone who lives here gets it" to something more like residency.

She paid her taxes though - that should qualify you for something.

(and she wasn't allowed recourse to benefits because my income & assets were deemed too high even when we were dating)
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Charles said:

Hugh said:

When the EA was set up it (a1) took over the responsibilities of the river authorities, including dredging; (2) decided not to do dredge; and (3) refusing to allow the farmers to do it themselves.

According to today's Times the government - not the EA - refused to pay for dredging in the Levels when specifically requested last September.

According to the local press, reporting parliamentary debate, the farmers paid local drainage boards, who paid the EA.

http://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news/2014/floods-tessa-munt-24-01-14.php
  • Options
    Hugh said:

This is not the same as building on flood plains.

Building on flood plains isn't the same as building on flood plains? Interesting argument.

Nothing could have stopped this flooding, the only thing to blame is the extreme weather.

And as we continue to change the climate it's only going to get worse, so time to come up with some proper long term solutions, otherwise the farmers can kiss goodbye to their land.

Somerset is one big lake. Dredging? Lol.

It never ceases to amaze me how much ignorance you can display and yet still post on here without realising how foolish you look.

1. It is not flood plain. It is drained land in the same way as much of Holland. As such it is not subject to the same issues with building or with transference of problems if proper drainage is maintained.

2. We have had just as extreme weather in the past and have not seen the same issues with flooding because the drainage systems were properly maintained.

3. This has sweet FA to do with climate change. It is indeed man made but much closer to home and entirely avoidable if the same measures had been followed as have been followed for hundreds of years.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Charles said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

No, ILR gives you right to benefits and work in all circumstances. It essentially gives you all the rights of a UK citizen, other than voting. It also doesn't need renewing

The only way you can lose it is move abroad for 2 years or be convicted of a serious crime.
  • Options

Charles said:

Hugh said:

I only read the clip that someone pasted rather than the whole article.

But: (a) the policy decision was made, IIRC, in 2000 & this was the consequence of years of neglect. And (b) if you devolve responsibility to an executive agency and give them a budget then it is their fault if they choose to spend it in a sub-optimal way. You can't blame the government because the EA didn't do their job properly (due, it appears, to political/philosophical preferences of wildlife over farmers)
  • Options

Charles said:

People on ILR are permitted benefits - it is the UK equivalent of a green card.
  • Options

Charles said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

ILR depends on circumstances (e.g. being married to Charles). IIRC even "indefinite" leave needs to be reviewed from time to time to make sure your circumstances haven't changed.

That's right - it's indefinite, not permanent.

I get really p1ssed off, though, that they charge her £1,000 every ten years to renew the stamp. And £1,000 every ten years when her US passport expires and they have to put a new stamp in the new passport. It's a bleeding racket.
  • Options

Charles said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

I think "indefinite" means what it says on the tin - "indefinite" (unless you are convicted of an offence that can lead to deportation) means you can stay for ever - even if Mrs Charles (heaven forbid) no longer wished to be Mrs Charles.....tho to get there Mrs Charles may need to have several "permission to remain"s (without recourse to public funds) to get there - to demonstrate that its a genuine relationship...tho things may have changed since friends went through this.....

• Options
    You're wasting your money - ILR doesn't expire. You can use a visa in an old expired passport.
  • Options

Charles said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

No, ILR gives you right to benefits and work in all circumstances. It essentially gives you all the rights of a UK citizen, other than voting. It also doesn't need renewing

The only way you can lose it is move abroad for 2 years or be convicted of a serious crime.
    ...checks stamp in wife's passport....

Hmmh. Nope. No recourse to public funds.
  • Options

You're wasting your money - ILR doesn't expire. You can use a visa in an old expired passport.

US government doesn't let you keep old passports...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,350

It usually gets tweeted at 10 or thereabouts. It is also 4 weeks since the last ICM/Guardian and I think 5 since a Survation/MailoS

Sat night we usually wait for midnight, then TSE buys a copy of the Sunday Times. Other nights it's 10pm.

Edin_Rokz said:

Point 1 - we have not been at war with Japan for 60 years despite them not being in the EU. We have not been at war with Turkey for 90 years despite them not being in the EU. We have not been at war with Russia for 140 years despite them not being in the EU

Point 2 - Have you asked any of the peoples of these nations about this? If you look at the trend it's actually for countries to split up into smaller units e.g South Sudan, East Timor, Indie refs in Scotland and maybe Catalonia
    Edin is right about the trend, though you're also right - there is certainly a trend for some small units to try to split off. However, there's also a very marked tendency to form EU-like associations in aim if not yet in reality. NAFTA is a reality, much of South America is in one trading bloc, South Asia in another, and embryonic moves in that direction are happening in Africa too. Whether trading blocs lead to other forms of integration is debatable, but the evidence seems to be that they do, slowly.
  • Options
    Sounds like she actually has a spouse visa or FLR(M) currently then - does she still have the original visa she applied for when entering the UK?

People on ILR are definitely entitled to public funds.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indefinite_leave_to_remain
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Charles said:

US government doesn't let you keep old passports...
    Not true - my wife is also a US citizen and they sent the old one back. You have to request it though.

In any case, ILR is now issued on ID cards so it's not tied to a passport.

(as you can probably guess, I've been through the whole UK immigration process with her myself)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

...checks stamp in wife's passport....

Hmmh. Nope. No recourse to public funds.
    For the "probationary period"-24-27 months:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/before9july/can-you-apply/maintenance/
  • Options

Charles said:

Hugh said:

So that would be 5 years after

"In 2008, when the EA was run by Baroness Young, this was reflected in a policy document which classified areas at risk of flooding under six categories, ranging from those in “Policy Option 1”, where flood defences were a priority, down to “Policy 6’’ where, to promote “biodiversity”, the strategy should be to “increase flooding”. The Somerset Levels were covered by Policy 6."

and

"Just add water!"

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=84689
  • Options
    @Carlotta; That link you posted is out of date, the probationary period is now 5 years.
  • Options

@Carlotta; That link you posted is out of date, the probationary period is now 5 years.

It refers to applications before July 2012.. evidently the regulations are a moving feast.....it was much simpler (and cheaper) when my friends went through it 6 years ago.....

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Just to clear it up for everyone, this is how the current system works:

Stage 1 : Spouse / Fiancé visa applied for outside of UK. Cost approx £900. Lasts 2.5 years, no recourse to public funds.

Stage 2 : Further leave to remain in the UK. Cost approx £900. Lasts another 2.5 years, still no recourse to public funds

Stage 3 : Indefinite leave to remain in the UK. Cost approx £1200. Lasts indefinitely and recourse to public funds allowed

Stage 4: UK citizenship, costs £900. A spouse of a UK citizen is eligible after 5 years assuming they meet the criminality threshold and have ILR.

It's a similar path on a work visa except they have to wait a further year for citizenship.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Hugh said:

I only read the clip that someone pasted rather than the whole article.

But: (a) the policy decision was made, IIRC, in 2000 & this was the consequence of years of neglect. And (b) if you devolve responsibility to an executive agency and give them a budget then it is their fault if they choose to spend it in a sub-optimal way. You can't blame the government because the EA didn't do their job properly (due, it appears, to political/philosophical preferences of wildlife over farmers)

You can blame the government if they are specifically asked to do something and they say no.

• Options
    edited February 2014

It refers to applications before July 2012.. evidently the regulations are a moving feast.....it was much simpler (and cheaper) when my friends went through it 6 years ago.....

Correct - the Home Office are constantly changing the immigration rules, seemingly on a whim. The victims of course are those couples forced apart by politicians trying to look "tough" on immigration.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Can't see this having any lasting impact on the Tories at all.
This discussion has been closed.