Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mad Tory Friday part 2…..

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210
    Anorak said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Fill your boots Amber. You'll be out on your ear whenever the next election is held.
    Interesting seat, that. Between 2015 and 2017 all the kippers moved to Labour, contrary to the popular assumption.
    If the boundary changes go through there's a new tory safe seat in her part of the world.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Jo Johnson: the inside story of Brexit and where it all went wrong "

https://www.ft.com/content/92974b74-e8d9-11e8-885c-e64da4c0f981
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    IanB2 said:

Anorak said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Fill your boots Amber. You'll be out on your ear whenever the next election is held.
    Interesting seat, that. Between 2015 and 2017 all the kippers moved to Labour, contrary to the popular assumption.
    If the boundary changes go through
    It's not April Fools day is it?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2018

rcs1000 said:

Of course the EU will be hurt by us exiting in a No Deal scenario. But we'll be worse hit. In all likelihood much worse hit.

It still represents an epic failure.
    That's something to keep one warm when scavenging for food and insulin in a desolate wasteland*.

* A joke, before some literalist klutz accuses me of scaremongering.
  • Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325
    Sean_Fear said:

GIN1138 said:

If I was May, no more balance. Just put in Dealers or Remainers into the Cabinet.
    +1
    I agree the time for balance is over.
    Yeah she's already sold Brexiteers (that's like 70% of her members and voters but we won't worry about that) down the river...

Why bother keeping up the pretense now?
    I voted Tory in 2017 and I don't feel she has sold me out or any of the other Tory voters I know.

A negotiation means a compromise.

I would rather Remain and if MPs with your views don't stop messing about I hope you get something you really don't like which is Remain or another referendum. If it means people like you leave the Tory party I will be glad as I cannot understand this obsession with Europe and wanting no deal otherwise known as economic suicide!
    I'm on the other side of the EU argument to you. I dislike Theresa May's nanny statism and think she has a political tin ear, but I don't consider that she's sold me out on the EU.
    Agreed. Trade deals, money, immigration and judges. She had delivered on all four.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

rcs1000 said:

Of course the EU will be hurt by us exiting in a No Deal scenario. But we'll be worse hit. In all likelihood much worse hit.

It still represents an epic failure.
    That's something to keep one warm when scavenging for food and insulin in a desolate wasteland*.

* A joke, before some literalist klutz accuses me of scaremongering.
    Scarmonger...

Fine, take the fun away then.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,876

Forget the UK. Look at what Brussels has got.

At the moment, they are looking at 2 years of red-line posturing resulting in a package that a mortally wounded PM cannot pass through the House. A crash-out Brexit is all they have to show for their "Non!".

Fucking A1 job, boys.

Luckily the EU economies are looking so strong they can take a loss of GDP in their stride.

Oh.

And a UK that is going to HAVE to come after them with a package of investment breaks and ultra-low corporate taxes that will make their eyes bleed.

Yep. A1 job. Prats.

You seem fanatically keen to try to shift blame onto the EU for this, with post after post stating "it's not me, guv!".

You were an arch-leaver, perhaps even a Brexiteer. This is your mess.

Accept the responsibility.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,198
    edited November 2018
    IanB2 said:

Our absurd voting system with so many MPs effectively sheltered from electoral pressure in their safe seats is a significant contributory factor to the current fiasco.

Certainly is... a lesson to learn here is very clear: Major reform of our politics is severely overdue. To be honest, if May gets her deal and calls another election she might end up being defeated as Churchill was, because the voters now loathe the Tories so much. On the other hand... um... Corbyn.

If a second referendum, then the Tories would be forced out regardless.

In any event, change is a-coming... eventually
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Okay, let's try to follow this through logically.

*) They block the current deal in parliament.
    *) They re-write it to make it more Brexity.
    *) They pass this to the EU.
    *) The EU say 'Non!" - as they've said they would, and they are far less likely to agree a more Brexity deal.
    *) Since the current deal has already been rejected in parliament, we crash out. Hard Brexit.

I cannot see any realistic way this chain will be broken: it will require the EU to massively capitulate, and there's no reason for them to do so.

Hence anyone arguing for a rewritten deal is really wanting a no-deal Brexit. And that probably includes Corbyn.

They should just be honest about it and stop all these pathetic 'we can get a better deal!' vainglorious lies.
    You've left out the remainery types voting against, it isn't just the ERG and Corbyn. You may not think it realistic, but, staggeringly, the thinking appears to be 'somehow we will prevent no deal, and then it will all work out with a brand new deal or remain'.

The ERG get huge amounts of stick for have no or very unrealistic and risky plans. But that lot are no less unrealistic. Simply asserting 'no deal won't be allowed, I am sure of it, then one of the contradictory plans we have for remain or a better deal will happen' is not a plan a competent legislator should be backing. People assert things cannot happen all the time, then they do.

At least the ERG are clear, for the most part, that they accept the risk of voting this down, or don't believe there are negatives to no deal.
    It shouldn't be beyond the wit of MPs to decide whether they want

a. No Deal - and I would assume that most wouldn't
    b. May's deal - looking dodgy, but maybe
    c. Remain - better than the other two, but might make us look a bit silly.
    d. Put b. and c. to the people to give the outcome legitimacy.

We don't have to settle for a bad deal.
    It seems beyond them at present.
    You'll never get a b and c only referendum through parliament, as the ERG-style nutters will screech and scream that no deal isn't on the ballot, and that it's all an establishment stitch-up.

And they might have a point.
  • Options
    Stephen Barclay is Brexit sec.
  • Options
    Stephen Barclay replaces Raab
  • Options
    Who?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    barclay to dxeu
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

At the moment, they are looking at 2 years of red-line posturing resulting in a package that a mortally wounded PM cannot pass through the House. A crash-out Brexit is all they have to show for their "Non!".

Fucking A1 job, boys.

Luckily the EU economies are looking so strong they can take a loss of GDP in their stride.

Oh.

And a UK that is going to HAVE to come after them with a package of investment breaks and ultra-low corporate taxes that will make their eyes bleed.

Yep. A1 job. Prats.

You seem fanatically keen to try to shift blame onto the EU for this, with post after post stating "it's not me, guv!".

+1
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Anorak said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    If the boundary changes go through there's a new tory safe seat in her part of the world.
    Now there's something she could offer the Labour leadership.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    Cicero said:

IanB2 said:

Our absurd voting system with so many MPs effectively sheltered from electoral pressure in their safe seats is a significant contributory factor to the current fiasco.

Certainly is... a lesson to learn here is very clear: Major reform of our politics is severely overdue
    Is there any system in the world (Even PR-STV) that doesn't create safe MPs ? If you're recommended as #1 vote for Sinn Fein's list in West Belfast then you are highly, highly likely to win whatever else happens.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

It's like being given the Black Spot by Blind Pew.
  • Options

Rory The Tory is still looking at his phone with a tear in his eye....all that leg work over the past few days and some total unknown gets a big gig...again.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

*) The EU say 'Non!" - as they've said they would, and they are far less likely to agree a more Brexity deal.
    *) Since the current deal has already been rejected in parliament, we crash out. Hard Brexit.

I cannot see any realistic way this chain will be broken: it will require the EU to massively capitulate, and there's no reason for them to do so.

Hence anyone arguing for a rewritten deal is really wanting a no-deal Brexit. And that probably includes Corbyn.

They should just be honest about it and stop all these pathetic 'we can get a better deal!' vainglorious lies.
    You've left out the remainery types voting against, it isn't just the ERG and Corbyn. You may not think it realistic, but, staggeringly, the thinking appears to be 'somehow we will prevent no deal, and then it will all work out with a brand new deal or remain'.

The ERG get huge amounts of stick for have no or very unrealistic and risky plans. But that lot are no less unrealistic. Simply asserting 'no deal won't be allowed, I am sure of it, then one of the contradictory plans we have for remain or a better deal will happen' is not a plan a competent legislator should be backing. People assert things cannot happen all the time, then they do.

At least the ERG are clear, for the most part, that they accept the risk of voting this down, or don't believe there are negatives to no deal.

You'll never get a b and c only referendum through parliament, as the ERG-style nutters will screech and scream that no deal isn't on the ballot, and that it's all an establishment stitch-up.

If it goes to a Referendum, I think the fairest course is simply the Deal, Yes or No. Then it's up to Parliament to decide what to do if the answer is No.
  • Options

Who?

tbh, who cares? They're going in and out so fast I cba to remember their names.
  • Options
    Who gets the Minister of State at Department of Health and Social Care job ?
  • Options

Rory The Tory is still looking at his phone with a tear in his eye....all that leg work over the past few days and some total unknown gets a big gig...again.
    The two positions on offer are both crap though. One is certain failure over UC mess and the other is over by March (:lol:)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Cicero said:

IanB2 said:

Certainly is... a lesson to learn here is very clear: Major reform of our politics is severely overdue
    Is there any system in the world (Even PR-STV) that doesn't create safe MPs ? If you're recommended as #1 vote for Sinn Fein's list in West Belfast then you are highly, highly likely to win whatever else happens.
    Yes, the patented PB Single Stochastical Vote system.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Did she get the right Steve B?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    How many letters is it now please. As Nicholoas Soames said the behaviour of these mps tweetimg that their letter had gone in is disgraceful.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Cicero said:

IanB2 said:

Start by limiting the power of the overbearing parties.

Maximum annual spending for parties

Change manifestos from covering every dingbat and widget to only cover the National priorities, Finance, Foreign, Military, and whatever else has to be don on a National scale. The rest should be a personal manifesto so that the candidate can represent the concerns and views of the constituents that elected them and his views.

Look on internal party strife and argument as positive. If you can't hold different views you can't discuss, develop and improve.
  • Options
    I think that's the only time in decades that an MP of whom I've never heard goes into Cabinet.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
  • Options
    A pause while Stephen Barclay is Googled.
  • Options

How many letters is it now please. As Nicholoas Soames said the behaviour of these mps tweetimg that their letter had gone in is disgraceful.

But useful for the whips !
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yes, although I was sort-of including Corbyn in that, as that's one of the several contradictory positions he's simultaneously holding whilst secretly wanting a hard exit.

I agree the arch-remainers are also being silly, but not to the extent that the ERG nutters are at the moment. If I was an arch-remainer, I'd be looking at playing the long game.

Oh, and also try to sell the EU to the public. Sadly, many of them couldn't be arsed to counteract the leave message before, or even during, the campaign. We're getting lots of howls from remainers, but precious few positive messages about the EU. I'd actually argue that's their insanity: calling for a second referendum without selling the EU to the electorate.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2018
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/tarajaneoreilly/status/1063470180720873472

I have no idea why he has been chosen....total mystery.....

The 24 Conservative MPs who are still on the backbenches and have never rebelled

#4 Steve Barclay (North East Cambridgeshire, 2010)

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2012/09/the-forty-non-government-payroll-mps-who-havent-rebelled.html

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Sean_Fear said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

If it goes to a Referendum, I think the fairest course is simply the Deal, Yes or No. Then it's up to Parliament to decide what to do if the answer is No.
    +1
  • Options

The two positions on offer are both crap though. One is certain failure over UC mess and the other is over by March (:lol:)
    Actually the Brexit job becomes big again after March, unless that's supposed to be Liam's gig.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Possibly even by himself.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The 24 Conservative MPs who are still on the backbenches and have never rebelled

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2012/09/the-forty-non-government-payroll-mps-who-havent-rebelled.html

Rory not on the list. What obscure bit of legislation did he go over the top on ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,239
    edited November 2018

I think that's the only time in decades that an MP of whom I've never heard goes into Cabinet.

I’ve met him. Competent City Minister for six months.
  • Options

I’ve met him. Competent City Minister.
    Minister of State at Department of Health and Social Care ?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Yes, although I was sort-of including Corbyn in that, as that's one of the several contradictory positions he's simultaneously holding whilst secretly wanting a hard exit.

I agree the arch-remainers are also being silly, but not to the extent that the ERG nutters are at the moment. If I was an arch-remainer, I'd be looking at playing the long game.

Oh, and also try to sell the EU to the public. Sadly, many of them couldn't be arsed to counteract the leave message before, or even during, the campaign. We're getting lots of howls from remainers, but precious few positive messages about the EU. I'd actually argue that's their insanity: calling for a second referendum without selling the EU to the electorate.
    The argument that one hears a lot from Remainers is that by remaining in the EU, we can reduce their potential to do harmful things to us - and it's a reasonable argument - but not one that wins support for the EU.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Wikipedia: He is most notable for everyone on twitter asking who he was when made Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    dixiedean said:

The MP for Clement Freud's old seat. Malcolm Moss was the Tory MP for the constituency in between.
  • Options
    Heard a good line earlier: "no leave is better than a bad leave"..... actually works pretty well!
  • Options
    Sean_Fear said:

But a No gets us nowhere, and whatever Parliament decides will still be seen as a betrayal by one side or the other.

This mess is a result of the leave campaigns' central contradiction and lie, and that would just repeat the mistake.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I’ve met him. Competent City Minister.
    Minister of State at Department of Health and Social Care ?
    Was City Minister since June 2017 to Jan 2018.
  • Options
    do we know which "large city firm" Barclay trained at?
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471

Fucking A1 job, boys.

Oh.

Yep. A1 job. Prats.

The people signing us up to be in this organisation against the wishes of the majority have to take their share of the blame too.
  • Options
    Wollaston to the health job would be amusing now.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Wollaston to the health job would be amusing now.

She would end up voting against herself.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Scott_P said:

He's actually number 1 on the list because the 3 above him have retired from the Commons.
  • Options

Sean_Fear said:

But a No gets us nowhere, and whatever Parliament decides will still be seen as a betrayal by one side or the other.

This mess is a result of the leave campaigns' central contradiction and lie, and that would just repeat the mistake.
    I think that whether it were Deal v Remain, Deal v No Deal, or Remain v No Deal, or a multiple choice, the losers would see it as a betrayal.
  • Options
    Sean_Fear said:

Sean_Fear said:

I think that whether it were Deal v Remain, Deal v No Deal, or Remain v No Deal, or a multiple choice, the losers would see it as a betrayal.
    And a 3 way choice can simply put, never be fair (Arrow's theorem)
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    Xenon said:

Fucking A1 job, boys.

Oh.

Yep. A1 job. Prats.

The people signing us up to be in this organisation against the wishes of the majority have to take their share of the blame too.
    When did that happen?
  • Options

Barclays Yes really .
  • Options
    A spokesperson for the PM says his role "will be different to that held by Dominic Raab".

Different from, goddamit, different from.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    Sean_Fear said:

GIN1138 said:

If I was May, no more balance. Just put in Dealers or Remainers into the Cabinet.
    +1
    Yeah she's already sold Brexiteers (that's like 70% of her members and voters but we won't worry about that) down the river...

I voted Tory in 2017 and I don't feel she has sold me out or any of the other Tory voters I know.

I would rather Remain and if MPs with your views don't stop messing about I hope you get something you really don't like which is Remain or another referendum. If it means people like you leave the Tory party I will be glad as I cannot understand this obsession with Europe and wanting no deal otherwise known as economic suicide!
    I'm on the other side of the EU argument to you. I dislike Theresa May's nanny statism and think she has a political tin ear, but I don't consider that she's sold me out on the EU.
    What do you think of this one?

"Notwithstanding Article 126, the Joint Committee may, before 1 July 2020, adopt a single decision extending the transition period up to [31 December 20XX].”
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Barclays Yes really .
    well yes, funny coincidnece

but before that:

Stephen qualified as a solicitor in 1998. He worked as an insurance company lawyer for Axa Insurance, as a regulator for the Financial Services Authority, and as Director of Regulatory Affairs and then Head of Anti-Money Laundering and Sanctions at Barclays Retail Bank.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2018

A spokesperson for the PM says his role "will be different to that held by Dominic Raab".

Different from, goddamit, different from.

So they are going to let him get the coffees in and thats about it.
  • Options

Xenon said:

Fucking A1 job, boys.

Oh.

Yep. A1 job. Prats.

When did that happen?
    In a fantasy world of bulldogs, village greens, and friendly vicars.
  • Options

Heard a good line earlier: "no leave is better than a bad leave"..... actually works pretty well!

That is what the Brexiteers should now do if they believe what they say.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

Sean_Fear said:

GIN1138 said:

+1

"Notwithstanding Article 126, the Joint Committee may, before 1 July 2020, adopt a single decision extending the transition period up to [31 December 20XX].”
    Okay with it.
  • Options
    But who has the health job !
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    Sean_Fear said:

shiney2 said:

Sean_Fear said:

GIN1138 said:

+1

Okay with it.
    Is it consistent with Leaving?
  • Options

Xenon said:

Fucking A1 job, boys.

Oh.

Yep. A1 job. Prats.

When did that happen?
    The Treaty of Lisbon is the clearest example, when the government reneged on its promise of a referendum.
  • Options
    Mind you, no-one can accuse Theresa May of not giving new talent a chance.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

Sean_Fear said:

shiney2 said:

Sean_Fear said:

GIN1138 said:

+1

Okay with it.
    Yes, provided that we're negotiating an FTA with the EU.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Sean_Fear said:

shiney2 said:

Sean_Fear said:

shiney2 said:

Sean_Fear said:

GIN1138 said:

+1

Okay with it.
    Yes, provided that we're negotiating an FTA with the EU.
    And why wouldn't we after we've left. I know leavers don't like it but the EU really isn't keen on countries being in the customs Union and outside the single market, which is more or less what we get with the backstop.
    The ERG must be really thick if they don't get this point !
  • Options
    Steve Baker is my local MP and I've met him. He gives swivel eyed loonies a bad name
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Scott_P said:
    Dunno - but he's quite the dish - wonder which side he bats on...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,688
    Did Stephen Barclay get to be director of Barclays Bank on the Major Major principle?

(In the novel Catch 22 a computer inadvertently promotes someone with the surname Major. In the process it completely destroys him because he can't cope with the responsibility)
  • Options
    Xenon said:

Fucking A1 job, boys.

Oh.

Yep. A1 job. Prats.

It's someone else's fault!

Please change the record.
  • Options
    If only there were a previous person who had a meteoric rise from City minister to PM
  • Options
    Sean_Fear said:

Sean_Fear said:

Some people always will. However we'd be giving them good reason to say that if this was to happen, and that makes their arguments almost impossible to defeat.

Which again, mirrors the 2016 referendum.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Is it possible that May has been busy perfecting cloning to create the perfect generic Tory minister? Could be a useful resource in the weeks to come.
  • Options
    Sean_Fear said:

kle4 said:

The argument that one hears a lot from Remainers is that by remaining in the EU, we can reduce their potential to do harmful things to us - and it's a reasonable argument - but not one that wins support for the EU.
    Totally agree with that.
  • Options
    Even if there are well over 48 letters in now, the sting has gone. Much more likely May will win as the momentum has been stalled.

Mr Brady will feature in a future Honours List, I'm quite sure.
  • Options

Steve Baker is my local MP and I've met him. He gives swivel eyed loonies a bad name

Not very encouraging, but I doubt he will be around for long.
  • Options
    But who gets to be Matt Hancock's teaboy :{}
  • Options

The Simon Cowell of politics.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Sean_Fear said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

*) They they would, and they are far less likely to agree a more Brexity deal.

+1
    We've already had one vote where politicians were left to make up what they thought people were voting for afterwards. If there is another one, both sides of the question need to lead to specific outcomes.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Time for a big Labour rebellion.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Now would be a good time for a damaging resignation and maybe to set a record.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    Anorak said:

Even if there are well over 48 letters in now, the sting has gone. Much more likely May will win as the momentum has been stalled.

He already has his K....and doubtless a peerage when he eventually retires.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

No but this really is moving the deckchairs on the well-known ocean liner. Events are no longer in the control of the government, and the iceberg is fast approaching. It will sink either Brexit or the country, or perhaps both, before too long.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

It might be useful for No 10 to have the VONC just after the EU summit, but before the Commons vote.
    Brady can check his mailbox at that point.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

He's already Sir Graham Brady of course. Knighted this very year in fact.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Sean_Fear said:

Xenon said:

Fucking A1 job, boys.

Oh.

Yep. A1 job. Prats.

When did that happen?
    The Treaty of Lisbon is the clearest example, when the government reneged on its promise of a referendum.
    I fail to recall riots in the streets over it.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    So he will be actually the one going to Starbucks when Brexit Secretary is asked to get the coffees in by May / Robbins.
  • Options
    I'm guessing that if more than a third of Tory MPs voted against Theresa May it would be difficult for her to carry on as leader.
  • Options
    TM seems to be strengthening her position tonight
  • Options
    So JRM despite his supposed intelligence can't see this because....?
  • Options
    Tracey crouch news?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Did Stephen Barclay get to be director of Barclays Bank on the Major Major principle?

(In the novel Catch 22 a computer inadvertently promotes someone with the surname Major. In the process it completely destroys him because he can't cope with the responsibility)

It's his Dad who does for him really. Calling your son Major Major Major is asking for trouble.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I'm guessing that if more than a third of Tory MPs voted against Theresa May it would be difficult for her to carry on as leader.

You don't know Mrs May do you? :lol:
  • Options
    Anorak said:

The Simon Cowell of politics.
    Or the poch....
  • Options
    Who is Matt Hancock's new lackey though >?
This discussion has been closed.