Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Senate Kavanaugh hearing begins taking evidence from the w

Comments

• Options

OMG, he really does have his 1982 calendar (unless he has done a Jeremy Archer...).

Do you mean Geoffrey.

I once hosted him for an evening when he was my guest speaker at an event , before his problems, and he was very interesting and dynamic
    Yes I meant Geoffrey....trying to do too many things at once.
    I know the feeling
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yes, but we have 2 years rather than 6 months to prepare, and we can keep talking.

Agreed that's why there'll be a transition no matter what. Any plan will be better sensibly prepared for. Except for EEA which just needs joining off the shelf.
  • Options
    It just gets worse and worse - finding it difficult to listen to his wimperings
  • Options
    Very odd tone. It seems to me if he had stuck to facts / evidence he is presenting, it would play a lot better.

Comments like "it will be an ugly time if every American who drank beer in high school is presumed guilty of sexual assault"....seem totally unnecessary.
  • Options

Very odd tone. It seems to me if he had stuck to facts / evidence he is presenting, it would play a lot better.

Comments like "it will be an ugly time if every American who drank beer in high school is presumed guilty of sexual assault"....seem totally unnecessary.

What happens after his testimony
  • Options
    This is seriously cringe.
  • Options

How can he ever hold high public office after this even if found innocent
  • Options
    He's just repeated himself
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833

He does seem a bit unhinged?

Hope they checked to make sure he wasn't armed before he went into the hearing...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,859

It seems like the sort of performance Trump would be disdainful of.
  • Options

Exactly. His temperament hardly comes across as reasonable. Also this obsession with the calendar as proof is bizarre.
  • Options
    I’m not watching it but did he really say “I don’t take no for an answer”?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,336

Exactly. His temperament hardly comes across as reasonable. Also this obsession with the calendar as proof is bizarre.
    Not really. It is the standard response when facing historic sex abuse allegations. You really need to prove that you were not there and it could not have happened. Anything short of that and you are in trouble.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,729
    I’m amazed that this guy is thought suitable to be a judge, let alone a lifetime Justice on the highest court in the land.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Because the entitled prick was promised a SCOTUS seat and now he thinks he's not getting it.

This is like, the first ever set back in his life.
  • Options

5 minute questioning from each senator alternating Republican/Democrat.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Not really. It is the standard response when facing historic sex abuse allegations. You really need to prove that you were not there and it could not have happened. Anything short of that and you are in trouble.
    Focusing on a calendar that shows when he was doing his underage drinking is... a double edge sword given his recent interview that painted himself as a choir boy.
  • Options
    It kind of reminds me of Nixon’s ‘Checkers’ speech.

Only less convincing.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    If the calendar proves he wasn't there, why the need for all the histrionics?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I’m amazed that this guy is thought suitable to be a judge, let alone a lifetime Justice on the highest court in the land.

The US elected Trump so this just shows how far the US has fallen
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Do you know when a judgement is made
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

It kind of reminds me of Nixon’s ‘Checkers’ speech.

Only less convincing.

Not Chequers again !!!!!!
  • Options

Alistair said:

AFAIK, there won't be any judgement as such.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    DavidL said:

He can't be found innocent.

• Options

Alistair said:

What happens next
  • Options
    He drank beer, sometimes too much, but never had any memory loss!

Was it root beer?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

What happens next

The committee are supposed to vote to confirm (or not) tomorrow.
  • Options

Alistair said:

What happens next
    AFAIK this is still part of the confirmation process. The GOP will determine if they have the votes/desire to push on with a confirmation vote. If they do it will take 2 Republicans to go against him to deny him the post.

Once upon a time the Democrats could have filibustered this. Not sure when filibustering was removed.
  • Options
    Looks as if Boris Johnson's 4,000 word ode to himself is going to be lost with the media reporting this over the next few days. Corbyn is lucky this did not happen on Wednesday, or maybe not
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,317
    Alistair said:

Because the entitled prick was promised a SCOTUS seat and now he thinks he's not getting it.

This is like, the first ever set back in his life.
    This is the first time he has ever been involuntarily buggered?
  • Options

Alistair said:

What happens next
    AFAIK this is still part of the confirmation process. The GOP will determine if they have the votes/desire to push on with a confirmation vote. If they do it will take 2 Republicans to go against him to deny him the post.

Once upon a time the Democrats could have filibustered this. Not sure when filibustering was removed.
    Interesting - thank you
  • Options

Alistair said:

What happens next

The Gorsuch confirmation?

• Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

Nigelb said:

The US elected Trump so this just shows how far the US has fallen
    Its polarised. And toxic.
  • Options
    This is a very good piece:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/27/conservatives-risk-becoming-party-of-nostalgic-nationalists

I don't like to say it, because I disagree with much of their direction of travel, but Corbyn's Labour are setting the narrative. Both the Conservatives and the Lib Dems are marooned on Brexit. Corbyn is successfully articulating something wider.

That is incredibly dangerous for May. Perhaps the biggest lesson from GE2017 was that, if you don't give people a reason to vote for you, many of them won't. May didn't. Corbyn did. There is no sign, as yet, that May has identified what that reason will be.
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/27/conservatives-risk-becoming-party-of-nostalgic-nationalists

I don't like to say it, because I disagree with much of their direction of travel, but Corbyn's Labour are setting the narrative. Both the Conservatives and the Lib Dems are marooned on Brexit. Corbyn is successfully articulating something wider.

That is incredibly dangerous for May. Perhaps the biggest lesson from GE2017 was that, if you don't give people a reason to vote for you, many of them won't. May didn't. Corbyn did. There is no sign, as yet, that May has identified what that reason will be.

Which is why May has to go.
  • Options
    This is the image of the hearing

• Options
    edited September 2018

I think May got more votes than Corbyn though?

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,724
    Alistair said:

Wow, that would be a killer, if it wasn't that if appointed he has a job for life with no recall.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Bit careless allowing a few men to photobomb the shot.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Wow, that would be a killer, if it wasn't that if appointed he has a job for life with no recall.

Is it no recall? Theoretically can't he be impeached?
  • Options
    alex. said:

Yes, but what will be the direction of travel next time if the Tories become as moribund as the LDs?
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Foxy said:

He can but it requires two thirds of the Senate.
  • Options
    Some have been suggesting this is a performance purely aimed at Trump.

Seems they are right.

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1045406055117860866?s=19
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Some have been suggesting this is a performance purely aimed at Trump.

Seems they are right.

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1045406055117860866?s=19

Seems I read Trump wrong, I'd have assumed he's find a display of emotion like that crass, unless he himself does it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    edited September 2018

#Metoo #IstandwithBrett #IstandwithElon
  • Options
    kle4 said:

alex. said:

Yes, but what will be the direction of travel next time if the Tories become as moribund as the LDs?
    TM needs two big offers on tbe NHS and social care.

They are the big issues facing everyone not some relic of a bygone hard left proposal

See Scotland has awarded their police 6.5% pay rise and TM stopped Sajid going to 3%. I have said it is wrong for some time and the police deserve a good pay rise
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

As does all impeachment. It's the job for life element that's critical more than the no recall. If it was proved he murdered someone

Almost all impeachment cases that have passed the House of Representatives have been against judges.
  • Options
    Watch the Senate hearing live here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6EF0nuFjCw
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

kle4 said:

alex. said:

They are the big issues facing everyone not some relic of a bygone hard left proposal

See Scotland has awarded their police 6.5% pay rise and TM stopped Sajid going to 3%. I have said it is wrong for some time and the police deserve a good pay rise
    Theresa May is not very good at politics. She is a mediocre administrator.

I don’t think we should be surprised that the calibre of our politicians is falling, considering our relative decline and the continued outsourcing of power and responsibility to Brussels.
  • Options
    Drama big time - got him check mated
  • Options

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

As does all impeachment. It's the job for life element that's critical more than the no recall. If it was proved he murdered someone

Almost all impeachment cases that have passed the House of Representatives have been against judges.
    Apparently a SCOTUS has only been impeached once:

https://twitter.com/cknoblock17/status/1045413279345119232?s=19
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

No Supreme Court Judge has ever been successfully impeached.
    And it would be by vote of the Senate.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

No Supreme Coirt Judge has ever been successfully impeached.
    And it would be by vote of the Senate.
    Impeachment goes through the Representatives first.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

This picture gets better.

The woman on the far left, as far as I can tell, is his mother.
  • Options
    This is amazing - such partisan anger.

Makes Brexit looks like a walk in the park

It sickens one to the core
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Who is this Graham idiot? A right-wing loon?
  • Options
    Is Lindsey Graham a failed actor....cos is moral outrage act is worse than some acting you see on Nickelodeon.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2018

This is amazing - such partisan anger.

Makes Brexit looks like a walk in the park

It sickens one to the core

Dennis Skinners shtick looks incredibly small beer...
  • Options
    Not convinced Kavanaugh particularly wanted Senator Graham's support..
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Makes you despair - US politics in the gutter for all the world to see
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    He will not get a hearing with this going on in the US
  • Options

murali_s said:

Sheldon isn't much better...raising fart gags....
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    All this question stuff, I have seen better acting in court dramas on daytime telly.

How is this getting to the truth or not of the actual incident, farts, drinking games, somebody saying f##k in a weird way....it is like he was in high school...

I thought John Mann complaining about his poor customer experience with his local branch of his bank when interviewing the banking bosses about the financial crash was bad...this is just a different level.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

The fact is that no Brexit outcome* could command the support of Parliament and people, but that No Deal would not get support either.

No Deal does not require any support. It is what happens by default. As long as we all keep arguing about different options then No Deal is the outcome.

No one has to do anything constructive or positive.
    No Deal means an inevitable EU ref2 sooner rather than later which Remain would almost certainly win
    We agree on that
    I agree with you both.

That’s agreed then.

Umm. Are the EU thinking the same?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Boris Johnson = clown!

Boris Johnson = will lose seat at next GE

We'll all be saying "Were you up for Johnson?"
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Negotiate "SuperCanada Free Trade Deal".... "Prepare for no deal"

Good one Boris.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Scott_P said:
    The only people in this country who are interested in the confirmation hearings of a US judge post on this forum.

No-one else cares.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Oh my God! Rookies for the four balls?
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Scott_P said:
    The only people in this country who are interested in the confirmation hearings of a US judge post on this forum.

No-one else cares.
    Just watch Sky and BBC tomorrow. They will be all over it tomorrow
  • Options

kle4 said:

alex. said:

Police Scotland is in a mess. They were considering going to single car crewing and allowing uncorroborated single officer testimony statements in court. I know former officers who left because the toll on their families was too much. We really underfund and undersupport them.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Scott_P said:

No-one else cares.
    It does have a compelling car-crash quality to it, even for those uninterested in US Politics.

What an embarrasment for American politics
  • Options
    So Elon Musk is in trouble. Ego1 is at risk of a rough landing.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45672813
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Scott_P said:

No-one else cares.
    Talking about US political trivia no one cares about here is Shadyvs response to the Republicans leaking internal polling for the West Virginia senate race.

https://twitter.com/LadPolitics/status/1045359002161487874?s=19
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Scott_P said:
    Boris Johnson = clown!

Boris Johnson = will lose seat at next GE

We'll all be saying "Were you up for Johnson?"
    Go back to the constituency, and prepare for one long lazy old breakfast?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Scott_P said:

No-one else cares.
    It does have a compelling car-crash quality to it, even for those uninterested in US Politics.

What an embarrasment for American politics
    I have no interest in US politics but this is just dreadful and shows US politics in the gutter
  • Options

murali_s said:

Sheldon isn't much better...raising fart gags....
    When is Kamala up? should be a good 'un, or have I missed it?
  • Options

So Elon Musk is in trouble. Ego1 is at risk of a rough landing.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45672813

"The SEC is seeking to bar Mr Musk from acting as an officer or director of a publicly traded company."

That'll hurt him. It shouldn't directly hurt SpaceX, but the DoD were allegedly considering looking into his drug use (because of his required security clearance), and I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of behaviour- if proved - would also give them pause.

Elon, you idiot. There is so much to admire about you, but there's you douchebag side as well.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Scott_P said:

No-one else cares.
    Who cares about Boris these days ?
  • Options
    Do you think even the Telegraph might tire of Boris polluting the paper saying the same thing every week, and might just give him his own dedicated supplement instead?
  • Options
    This is getting worse....Republicans don't ask questions, they just give statements of support and the Democrats just scream FBI, FBI, fart gag....nobody is asking direct questions.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

RoyalBlue said:

Scott_P said:

No-one else cares.
    Only ERG
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

RoyalBlue said:

Scott_P said:

No-one else cares.
    Only himself. The only person he has ever cared about.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,025
    RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

alex. said:

Theresa May is not very good at politics. She is a mediocre administrator.

I don’t think we should be surprised that the calibre of our politicians is falling, considering our relative decline and the continued outsourcing of power and responsibility to Brussels.
    I don't think it's just that.

Would you be a politician? Would you like the 24 hour scrutiny, your social media being gone through, that silly joke being taken as a serious suggestion...

And for what? Poor pay, and terrible conditions. It appeals only to those who desire being in the public eye above all else, and who have few other talents.
  • Options
    I see Boris is trying to derail the party conference.

Another reason fro people not to vote for him as leader. He's not interested in the good of the party; he's not interested in the good of the country. He's interested in what's good for Boris.

In fact:

He's interested in the Party of Boris, the only party on the good country of Boris, whose supreme leader just so happens to be Boris. The world - nay, the universe - revolve around the supreme leader.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,025
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    If I was American, I think I would be keen for all these senators to be sacked....
  • Options

"The SEC is seeking to bar Mr Musk from acting as an officer or director of a publicly traded company."

That'll hurt him. It shouldn't directly hurt SpaceX, but the DoD were allegedly considering looking into his drug use (because of his required security clearance), and I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of behaviour- if proved - would also give them pause.

Elon, you idiot. There is so much to admire about you, but there's you douchebag side as well.
    The share price has rebounded and is way past that bit of news though, there's no lasting impact. Is the SEC certain to win ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Could be a small Tory majority on those figures which would help Canada deal backers
    The poll indicates improved public approval for Chequers
    Given the EU have rejected Chequers that is irrelevant and even now Canada is still far preferred by the public to Chequers
    Canada is dead - it died in the last 24 hours
    Canada is not dead, just the EU will only apply it to GB which is unacceptable to the DUP
    What died was the prospect of May reverting to a Canada-style negotiating position. Yet with a majority of the Cabinet now reported as being in favour of the option she is rejecting, what is far from dead is the prospect of the decision being taken out of her hands.
    A no confidence vote by November is a possibility
    What makes you think so, HYUFD ? My assumption has been the tory terror of an election.
    On current polls the Tories should have no terror of am early general election, better to seek a Canada deal and maybe fall short but remain largest party and leave Corbyn to navigate Brexit than stay in power with No Deal
    I disagree totally and find that view as a conservative member insane
    Canada is what polls show most Tory members and voters want but it cannot be delivered while the DUP holds the balance of power.
    Members yes - voters no - and Amber Rudd with the DUP collapsed it today
    No, a Canada Deal is also the most popular choice with voters as a whole

https://order-order.com/page/2/
    Up against Remain in binary ref 2 Canada gets slaughtered. So maybe not THE most popular choice in Britain today.

All very silent in brexit and politics today. Just before the roaring wave comes in and everything disappears, is this the bit the sea disappears, and it goes eerily quiet?
  • Options

If I was American, I think I would be keen for all these senators to be sacked....

Agreed - showed the US in a terrible light - politics in the gutter
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The share price has rebounded and is way past that bit of news though, there's no lasting impact. Is the SEC certain to win ?
    Not certain. But the case seems strong factually. My biggest question is what the relevant laws say, & I am relatively clueless about UK law, yet alone US law.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Sady he is becoming a national joke
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Scott_P said:
    Never mind the quality, just feel the width :D:D
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Not certain. But the case seems strong factually. My biggest question is what the relevant laws say, & I am relatively clueless about UK law, yet alone US law.
    Hmm personally I hope Vernon wins his case against Musk, but I can't get behind the SEC. THIS action itself is having more effect on the share price than Musk's tweet would have. Can a man not 'consider' anything any more ? Are adverbs not allowed on twitter ?
    You can smell the vested hedge shorters from here.
  • Options
    If we had the internet in the late 30's then the then equivalent of PB would have said the same about Churchill. Please note that I am fully aware that Boris is no Churchill, just commenting on the trivial and febrile nature of our modern body politic.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1045420839179612160

Sady he is becoming a national joke
    Becoming? Wrong tense, methinks.... ;)
This discussion has been closed.