Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,725
edited January 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

To you lurkers, why not delurk? Once you delurk, you won’t be saying Oh My God, what have I done, you’ll be saying Lurking, Every Day I Love You Less and Less.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    double figures vs the spanners?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    edited January 2014

I've bet there'll be six or Man City goals tonight...
  • Options
    Woitiah's special!....

Wohom will Wodger whisch dead furst: Woll-up, woll-up. Comedy is a symptom....
  • Options

I've bet they'll be six or Man City goals tonight...
    I saw that, I also saw the 18-1 value bet on the spanners too....

Up the Palace!

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    Oh my God why didn't I lay Schaaf at Evens :((((

17.96 Zola
    66.61 Malky Mackay
    79.05 Mendilibar
    134.13 Schaaf
    69.1 Flores
    50.41 Mauricio Pellegrino
    15.44 Mel
    37.16 Jones
    59.19 Downing
    113.3 Clement
    17.39 sven
    -1.61 Others

Which probably means I'll end up losing £1.61
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

17.96 Zola
    66.61 Malky Mackay
    79.05 Mendilibar
    134.13 Schaaf
    69.1 Flores
    15.44 Mel
    37.16 Jones
    59.19 Downing
    113.3 Clement
    17.39 sven
    -1.61 Others

In future, it might be easier for you to list, whom you haven't backed to the next West Brom manager.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

17.96 Zola
    66.61 Malky Mackay
    79.05 Mendilibar
    134.13 Schaaf
    69.1 Flores
    15.44 Mel
    37.16 Jones
    59.19 Downing
    113.3 Clement
    17.39 sven
    -1.61 Others

In future, it might be easier for you to list, whom you haven't backed to the next West Brom manager.
    I got dragged in by a big price difference on Mendilibar...

• Options
    City, you have to 30 mins to score one more, please do so.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Cameron 'suspects' floods linked to climate change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25656426

What an absolute asshole Cammo is; a know-nothing shyster.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

17.96 Zola
    66.61 Malky Mackay
    79.05 Mendilibar
    134.13 Schaaf
    69.1 Flores
    15.44 Mel
    37.16 Jones
    59.19 Downing
    113.3 Clement
    17.39 sven
    -1.61 Others

I got dragged in by a big price difference on Mendilibar...

You should have seen my next Labour leader after Gordon Brown book, I must have backed anyone who might have voted Labour, I even backed Hazel Blears at one point.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    FPT: Not everyone who is on the state pension hadsearned it. You get a qualifying year if you pay at least £1 of NI that year, which you could achieve just earning about £7k. So in theory you could get the £5,600 a year pension and just pay in £35! Obviously an extreme example, but there are certainly plenty of ppl on low earnings for whom the state pension is certainly a benefit.
  • Options
    Confirmation

Liberal Democrat MP Don Foster will stand down at the next General Election, The Bath Chronicle reported.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-01-08/lib-dem-mp-don-foster-to-stand-down-at-next-election/
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Confirmation

Liberal Democrat MP Don Foster will stand down at the next General Election, The Bath Chronicle reported.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-01-08/lib-dem-mp-don-foster-to-stand-down-at-next-election/

Cameron's job just became a tiny weeny bit easier. But still no sign whatsoever that the Tories are about to regain a seat they held 1945-92.
  • Options
    F*** off Sam Allardyce, sing the West Ham fans.

2/5 as next manager out

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/next-manager-to-leave-post
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Confirmation

Cameron's job just became a tiny weeny bit easier. But still no sign whatsoever that the Tories are about to regain a seat they held 1945-92.
    I think the Lib Dem will hold the seat, the majority isn't relied on incumbency.

I wonder how politics would be today if Chris Patten had held Bath in 1992
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Good evening, everyone.

Story on Chris Christie here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25659532
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited January 2014
    SeanT - You should have been banned for your original attemps to out Tim.

At the time I was tied up with family matters and not giving the site the attention I should have.

Your boasting tonight compounds your original actions and a ban is now in place
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    Re this comment by David Lammy on the Duggan inquest verdict - "Public trust in the police is fragile. Amid the wider perception of a lack of justice, it is imperative that trust it is rebuilt." - I would say this.

There was an inquest under the law at which a great deal of evidence was presented. The jury heard the evidence and answered the questions put to them and came to a decision. There was no lack of justice; what the Duggan family are complaining about is that the result was not the one they wanted but that is not the police's fault nor anyone's fault.

The question of whether the police behaved as well as they could have is a different issue but those who raise the issue of trust in the police would also do well to ask themselves questions about how the police are supposed to behave when protecting the law-abiding from young men who carry guns with them in broad daylight in the middle of our major cities.
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, indeed, you're quite right (again).

Lammy may be trying to appease the outraged family without egging them on. He was sound after the initial rioting. On that note, the BBC (and, I would guess, other media outlets) are 100% wrong when they say Duggan's death kicked off three days or so of rioting. It kicked off one day of rioting. The police (more top brass than bobbies on the beat) were afraid to handle it robustly would be seen as racist, and the violent thugs of the capital seized the opportunity to embark on a night or two of looting.

What happened after the initial day was not rioting, it was looting.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Jonathan said:

It's one of the areas where the Lib Dems have held up well in local elections since 2010 - should be a hold for them on a reduced majority. If they lose here they're in big trouble.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,221
    MikeK said:

Cameron 'suspects' floods linked to climate change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25656426

What an absolute asshole Cammo is; a know-nothing shyster.

I would not class any of our post-war PM's as being in any way unintelligent. I may not have liked some of them (okay, most of them), but they're not 'know-nothings'.

As it happens, I probably veer more to your position than his, but I suspect that he's better informed on climate change than you are.
  • Options
    Six Nil, get in!
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited January 2014
    tse - only just in time, beers on u again..
  • Options
    Incidentally, on the most cretinous proposed law since Blair's 90 days detention without trial, the Lords have blocked it. Huzzah for the unelected, unaccountably, and altogether sensible peers:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25648019

Making it a criminal offence to engage in, or threaten to engage in, acts which are deemed a nuisance or annoying is just crazy. MPs should be ashamed of themselves for so indefensibly (and stupidly) trying to curtail freedom of speech.
  • Options
    Laid out the stake like a true chicken, but a nice little profit on the match :)
  • Options

Be afraid, In the first 8 days of 2014, I've had 9 winning bets on various sports, mostly football.

On Saturday, I've bet on Crystal Palace to beat Spurs.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

Making it a criminal offence to engage in, or threaten to engage in, acts which are deemed a nuisance or annoying is just crazy. MPs should be ashamed of themselves for so indefensibly (and stupidly) trying to curtail freedom of speech.

There is no such proposal. There is a proposal to allow injunctions to be applied for if there is substantial nuisance, and to require substantial reasons for such an injunction to be granted.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Laid out the stake like a true chicken, but a nice little profit on the match :)

Pulpstar said:

Did you get on the 6 goals bet I tipped?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Be afraid, In the first 8 days of 2014, I've had 9 winning bets on various sports, mostly football.

How many have you lost ?
  • Options

Lammy may be trying to appease the outraged family without egging them on.

Why should he be trying to appease them? He should be saying that while he understands their distress at the death of someone they loved they have had their day in court and need now to accept the jury's verdict. The justice system exists to come to a decision on all the evidence not simply to reinforce the views or self-image of the victim. He might also point out to them that a lot of innocent people got hurt (some very badly, think, for instance, of the badly mugged Malaysian student and the Polish woman forced to jump from a burning building) last time and that they and others might wonder why the feelings of the family of a man who carries guns are so much more important than the feelings of lots of other people who don't behave in such a way.

Lammy was certainly sound after the riots and spoke some hard truths about the behaviour of some young black men. which is why I hope he doesn't now fall into the trap of being seen only as a defender of the Duggans of this world.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (Question repeated from the previous thread)

When did inquest juries change from giving a "verdict" to giving "conclusions"?
    And when did it change to explicitly answering a list of questions, as well as the main verdict on the killing itself?

The answers given by the jury in the Duggan case seem to be at a very high level of wisdom and good sense.
  • Options

Git - looks like I will have to as well so my terrible predictive powers will counteract your run of temporary form. Class will out....
  • Options
    Tonights Yougov (prediction)

Labour lead down to 2% followed by a collective PB Hodges posting orgasm.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "I suspect that he's [Cameron] better informed on climate change than you are."

I doubt it. He probably gets his briefings from the DECC.

Plus of course his father in law makes a very large amount of money from having windmills on his land. I have often thought that it is an amazing coincidence that Cameron supports a policy that makes his family even richer (doesn't Clegg's missus hold some post with a firm that benefits from renewable energy subsidies?)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,541
    Cyclefree said:

Re this comment by David Lammy on the Duggan inquest verdict - "Public trust in the police is fragile. Amid the wider perception of a lack of justice, it is imperative that trust it is rebuilt." - I would say this.

There was an inquest under the law at which a great deal of evidence was presented. The jury heard the evidence and answered the questions put to them and came to a decision. There was no lack of justice; what the Duggan family are complaining about is that the result was not the one they wanted but that is not the police's fault nor anyone's fault.

The question of whether the police behaved as well as they could have is a different issue but those who raise the issue of trust in the police would also do well to ask themselves questions about how the police are supposed to behave when protecting the law-abiding from young men who carry guns with them in broad daylight in the middle of our major cities.

If you read the several studies of the riots the over-riding theme that emerges is the huge resentment that had built up over many many years of police behaviour to black youth.

For sure the Duggan shooting was the catalyst but there was a seething resentment which found expression in the riots and looting and the fact that for those nights, and until the Met got their act together, there was an opportunity to claim the streets. It was about power.

To quote from "Reading the Riots" (The Guardian studies):

"We had the [the police] under control. We had them under manners for once. They never had us under manners. We had them on lock. On smash. Running away from us. We weren't running from the police...We was enforcing the law..."

ok it's the Guradian but other studies corroborate this:

amazon.co.uk/Mobs-Englishmen-Myths-realities-riots-ebook/dp/B006654U9U/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1389217195&sr=1-1&keywords=mad+mobs+and+englishmen

amazon.co.uk/Among-Hoods-Years-Teenage-Gang-ebook/dp/B0086KQ4OC/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1389217262&sr=1-1&keywords=harriet+sergeant

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Operation Trident has led to a massive drop in gun deaths of young mostly black men. While Duggan may have not had the gun in his hand, the events all happened in a couple of seconds.

Arresting suspected gangsters in crowded city streets is not easy. This was the first such death in over 200 arrests by Trident. A pretty impressive record really, even allowing for this one.

Lammy may be trying to appease the outraged family without egging them on. He was sound after the initial rioting. On that note, the BBC (and, I would guess, other media outlets) are 100% wrong when they say Duggan's death kicked off three days or so of rioting. It kicked off one day of rioting. The police (more top brass than bobbies on the beat) were afraid to handle it robustly would be seen as racist, and the violent thugs of the capital seized the opportunity to embark on a night or two of looting.

• Options
    surbiton said:

How many have you lost ?
    3, but two of them, I managed to trade out to no loss/a small profit.
  • Options

Git - looks like I will have to as well so my terrible predictive powers will counteract your run of temporary form. Class will out....
    You're a winner either way, that way.
  • Options

surbiton said:

How many have you lost ?
    3, but two of them, I managed to trade out to no loss/a small profit.
    I reckon WBA will realise they won't have anyone to turn to and Downing will take the job on anyway given your form at the moment...
  • Options

Normally when I place the big financial 'hedge' of a opponent winning, it nails me a draw so I lose x2.

• Options

Please stop with the PB Hodges stuff, it is both childish and dull.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Cyclefree said:

I hope he doesn't now fall into the trap of being seen only as a defender of the Duggans of this world.

I cant see where he has defended him at all. He only noted the perception of injustice in the section you quoted below - and there undoubtedly is such a perception. He didnt say it was justified.
  • Options

Normally when I place the big financial 'hedge' of a opponent winning, it nails me a draw so I lose x2.

Back the draw.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Definitely not for this thread as there is a discussion to be had on this and I am shortly off to bed but you are wrong!! Or rather, you tell only part of the story.

:)

It was rioting which became looting because it could become looting because at that point the police had lost the streets. The over-riding intent of the rioters was to illustrate their power. Looting became the manifestation of this intent (what better way to show the police you are in charge than to commit criminal acts in front of them and the world's media) although there was of course plenty of sheer criminality concurrently and separating the two out is not a mathematical exercise.

But, as per my post above, the critical element of this was the build-up of resentment by mainly black youths at their treatment by the police and the particular set of circumstances which lead to them being able to counter such treatment on the streets.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I do not miss tim at all. His occasional flashes of wit were far outweighed by his personalised attacks on various politicians and posters. SeanT was bang out of order in his response and has not the insight to realise he was in the wrong. I think your ban entirely justified and more power to your elbow.

At the time I was tied up with family matters and not giving the site the attention I should have.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,088
    @TSE

My butting in was certain to make your bet a winner

I tipped the 18/1 Negredo Hat trick and forgot to back it... Serves me right
  • Options
    isam said:

@TSE

My butting in was certain to make your bet a winner

I tipped the 18/1 Negredo Hat trick and forgot to back it... Serves me right

Your input was very useful.

We've all been there.
  • Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited January 2014

No. Unless it is deemed inappropriate from a mod or OGH. Of course any negatives towards what is left of the left wing posters would then also need the same treatment, if it was deemed inappropriate.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Neil said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope he doesn't now fall into the trap of being seen only as a defender of the Duggans of this world.

I cant see where he has defended him at all. He only noted the perception of injustice in the section you quoted below - and there undoubtedly is such a perception. He didnt say it was justified.
    I wasn't saying that he had; I was expressing the hope that he wouldn't, precisely because his judgment and reactions at the time of the riots were so well-judged and thoughtful.

As for the comments by the youths that they had the police under control and were enforcing the law, that is precisely a definition of anarchy - the forces of law and order had lost control and a lot of people were intent on taking advantage of that for their own selfish advantage at the expense of innocent victims

There is justified resentment e.g. at abuse of power by the police and then there is unjustified resentment i.e. of criminals that there are people/bodies there stopping them from carrying on their criminal activities. Important, I think, to distinguish between the two.

• Options
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 34s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead by six, up one point on yesterday: CON 32%, LAB 38%, LD 9%, UKIP 13%
  • Options

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 34s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead by six, up one point on yesterday: CON 32%, LAB 38%, LD 9%, UKIP 13%

My back is starting to kill me.
  • Options

No. Unless it is deemed inappropriate from a mod or OGH. Of course any negatives towards what is left of the left wing posters would then also need the same treatment, if it was deemed inappropriate.
    It s childish though, why do you bother?

Same as when right wingers say PB kinnocks or whatever, it's not at all funny
  • Options
    I see Thomas Hitzelberger bravely came out as a former West Ham player today #courage
  • Options

I see Thomas Hitzelberger bravely came out as a former West Ham player today #courage

Naughty, funny, but naughty.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited January 2014

If you're going to keep using it, could you please tell me what it means?

Edit: And what's the one about Kay Burley mean, whilst you're at it.

• Options
    isam said:

Strange that none of you pick the PB Kinnocks etc up when they are posted. Though are critical of PB Hodges. I think it sums quite a few posters on here up quite well actually.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Cyclefree said:

Neil said:

Cyclefree said:

I wasn't saying that he had; I was expressing the hope that he wouldn't, precisely because his judgment and reactions at the time of the riots were so well-judged and thoughtful.

As for the comments by the youths that they had the police under control and were enforcing the law, that is precisely a definition of anarchy - the forces of law and order had lost control and a lot of people were intent on taking advantage of that for their own selfish advantage at the expense of innocent victims

There is justified resentment e.g. at abuse of power by the police and then there is unjustified resentment i.e. of criminals that there are people/bodies there stopping them from carrying on their criminal activities. Important, I think, to distinguish between the two.

That's correct. The looters were just indulging their selfish appetites at the expense of everyone else.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Cyclefree said:

Neil said:

Cyclefree said:

I wasn't saying that he had; I was expressing the hope that he wouldn't, precisely because his judgment and reactions at the time of the riots was so well-judged and thoughtful.

I think your final paragraph seeks to define two elements which in reality are often, and I believe in 2011 certainly were conflated.

There was resentment at the abuse of police power in the way that the police treated predominantly black youths in Brixton and other areas. Due to a particular set of circumstances this resentment was able to find expression following the protests outside Tottenham police station (and the arguably clumsy handling of those protests by the police).

That particular set of circumstances lead to a situation where riots could occur and the riots which followed were primarily or initially an expression of this frustration. There was also an opportunity to demonstrate a power that is usually denied those who feel such resentment.

There was intertwined and inextricably linked all kinds of criminality, opportunism, bullying, vandalism and so forth but as many studies have shown, after a certain point it is not possible to distinguish the activities as you suggest.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,341
    edited January 2014
    GeoffM said:

I've never understood it either. Presumably it's a reference to the prickly ARP warden in Dad's Army. Is his grumpiness thought to be a right-wing trait?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

PB - Political Betting

Hodges - As in Dan Hodges, the Tory spinner, maker up of anti-Labour stories with unnamed sources and marginal seat polling dreamer.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

I've never understood it either. Presumably it's a reference to the prickly ARP warden in Dad's Army. Is his grumpiness thought to be a right-wing trait?
    The Kay Burley one is presumably calling people "stupid women"?
    I think I've worked that one out.

• Options
    @foxinsoxuk

Thank you for that support. Much appreciated. The original incidents happened the day after my brother's funeral and I was largely ignoring the site.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,221

Plus of course his father in law makes a very large amount of money from having windmills on his land. I have often thought that it is an amazing coincidence that Cameron supports a policy that makes his family even richer (doesn't Clegg's missus hold some post with a firm that benefits from renewable energy subsidies?)

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you. I've got more than one foot (say, one foot, one leg, half my torso and one hand) in the sceptic camp, but can often see both sides of the issue.

I can respect many people in both camps; it is often the way they treat people in the opposing camp that says more than their actual arguments.

The climate changes. The atmosphere is a major factor in climate. Man pumps stuff into the atmosphere. Whether man causes any of the change, and the magnitude of the man-made change (if any), is a devilish job to discern, and may even be impossible without the presence of a control Earth. Modelling can only do so much, and the systems are inherently complex to understand, yet alone model.

I'm more in the theres-a-fuckload-of-uncertainty-here,-let's-do-more-science-and-mitigate-effects-of-both-natural-and-most-possible-anthropomorphic-climate-change camp.

On your other point: maybe I'm not an evil baby-eating Tory, but I don't think I'd change policy, or do something I disagreed with, to make my father-in-law money. (That is, if he lived in the UK).
  • Options

@foxinsoxuk

Thank you for that support. Much appreciated. The original incidents happened the day after my brother's funeral and I was largely ignoring the site.

Will this mean we will miss out on his updates on his job/wages/holidays....ah well.
  • Options

isam said:

Strange that none of you pick the PB Kinnocks etc up when they are posted. Though are critical of PB Hodges. I think it sums quite a few posters on here up quite well actually.
    Oh do what you like... I just think PB this PB that is childish and embarrassing. As I say it is the same whoever says it.... You probably use it more than most, but its a free-ish country, whatever floats your boat

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959

I do not miss tim at all. His occasional flashes of wit were far outweighed by his personalised attacks on various politicians and posters. SeanT was bang out of order in his response and has not the insight to realise he was in the wrong. I think your ban entirely justified and more power to your elbow.

Amen. OGH and his team/assistant/second account/revolutionary AI do a generally good job in generally very difficult circumstances. Frankly, the rest of us should do a better job to make this site moderatable without spending so much of OGH's time, so he can spend it on the research and articles which bring us here in the first place.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Neil said:

Cyclefree said:

I wasn't saying that he had; I was expressing the hope that he wouldn't, precisely because his judgment and reactions at the time of the riots was so well-judged and thoughtful.

There was intertwined and inextricably linked all kinds of criminality, opportunism, bullying, vandalism and so forth but as many studies have shown, after a certain point it is not possible to distinguish the activities as you suggest.
    Well, the courts certainly were able to distinguish the activities, judging by the number of people who were convicted. And, in any case, even if you are resentful at, say, being bullied by the police or constantly stopped for questioning, if you then burn down a building with people still in it, who are at risk of their lives, you are a criminal. Your resentment does not - and cannot in any sort of civilised society - justify such actions.

• Options

PB - Political Betting

Hodges - As in Dan Hodges, the Tory spinner, maker up of anti-Labour stories with unnamed sources and marginal seat polling dreamer.

So you're accusing people on here of deliberately posting false polling data? That's a very serious accusation on a betting site.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Neil said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, the courts certainly were able to distinguish the activities, judging by the number of people who were convicted. And, in any case, even if you are resentful at, say, being bullied by the police or constantly stopped for questioning, if you then burn down a building with people still in it, who are at risk of their lives, you are a criminal. Your resentment does not - and cannot in any sort of civilised society - justify such actions.

What kind of country have we become when a drug dealer can't swan around North London waving a gun about in broad daylight anymore without running the risk of being shot by police?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Oh do what you like... I just think PB this PB that is childish and embarrassing. As I say it is the same whoever says it.... You probably use it more than most, but its a free-ish country, whatever floats your boat

As I have said numerous times, it's a messageboard, if anyone takes PB Hodges seriously, they really need to have a word with themselves.

In reality I don't give a flying what anyone thinks of me as I will most probably never meet you, and have only ever, as far as I know, met one of you.

Look ...words..on a computer screen. That's all they are.
  • Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited January 2014

PB - Political Betting

So you're accusing people on here of deliberately posting false polling data? That's a very serious accusation on a betting site.

Polling dreamer.....polling crossover

:-)
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    If the LDs lose Bath, unless they pick Lembit, then I can't see how they will get over 20 MPs nationally. Must hold.

I don't know what has happened with tim/seanT but I have to say I find the quality of discussion has improved and I'm posting more as a result.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    It`s interesting.Politicshome and Sky have different front pages for the Telegraph tomorrow.

Will the real Daily Telegraph please step forward and take it`s place?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

As I have said numerous times, it's a messageboard, if anyone takes PB Hodges seriously, they really need to have a word with themselves.

In reality I don't give a flying what anyone thinks of me as I will most probably never meet you, and have only ever, as far as I know, met one of you.

I don't take it seriously at all.. It's not aimed at me, I am not a Tory and in fact have only ever voted Labour.

Just agreeing with @nigel4england that it is boring and dull

I don't really get why people think their online manners etc dont matter as they're not going to meet the person in real life... Few of us will ever meet but while we re posting in here we may as well be civil...

Saying 'its only words on a computer screen' makes it a bit weird that you bother to argue so much in the first place doesn't it?
  • Options
    My son says he is still feeling the effects of the riots. He works in a leading supermarket chain, and before the riots they would have actual TV sets on the shelves; now they have empty boxes and the staff have to fetch the real TV if some-one want so to buy one.
  • Options

My son says he is still feeling the effects of the riots. He works in a leading supermarket chain, and before the riots they would have actual TV sets on the shelves; now they have empty boxes and the staff have to fetch the real TV if some-one want so to buy one.

Congratulations on the being the Political Pundit of the year for 2013.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

If the LDs lose Bath, unless they pick Lembit, then I can't see how they will get over 20 MPs nationally. Must hold.

I don't know what has happened with tim/seanT but I have to say I find the quality of discussion has improved and I'm posting more as a result.

You aren't the only person to have made that same point today in a positive way, oddly enough.

• Options
    SMukesh said:

It`s interesting.Politicshome and Sky have different front pages for the Telegraph tomorrow.

Will the real Daily Telegraph please step forward and take it`s place?

The Guardian wrote two different articles on Peter Hitchens on on day... The online and paper versions were edited differently...

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/
  • Options

I wonder if that's a self-imposed security policy or forced on them by changes to insurance premiums?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I think your final paragraph seeks to define two elements which in reality are often, and I believe in 2011 certainly were conflated.

There was resentment at the abuse of police power in the way that the police treated predominantly black youths in Brixton and other areas. Due to a particular set of circumstances this resentment was able to find expression following the protests outside Tottenham police station (and the arguably clumsy handling of those protests by the police).

That particular set of circumstances lead to a situation where riots could occur and the riots which followed were primarily or initially an expression of this frustration. There was also an opportunity to demonstrate a power that is usually denied those who feel such resentment.

Motive, thankfully, is largely irrelevant to English law. It may be true that rioting and legitimate protest were motivated by the same grievances, although it is by no means certain. The point is that rioting is an offence regardless of the motivation of the perpetrator and should remain so.
  • Options

I think a number of the people who lost shops/equipment/homes in the riots are still waiting for compensation. Clearly, those delays are down to the government but they too have had no justice, indeed, rather less justice than that afforded to the Duggan family who got an inquest and an outcome.

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

I don't take it seriously at all.. It's not aimed at me, I am not a Tory and in fact have only ever voted Labour.

I don't really get why people think their online manners etc dont matter as they're not going to meet the person in real life... Few of us will ever meet but while we re posting in here we may as well be civil...

Saying 'its only words on a computer screen' makes it a bit weird that you bother to argue so much in the first place doesn't it?
    Ah well, now it is online manner. If you think it is dull or boring, that's up to you. I give my opinions and my opinions on other peoples opinions and as long as it is within the site rules, it doesn't really matter who thinks it is dull or not really. Would it make you feel happier if I posted I was all offended you think it is dull, I will if you want.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

I wonder if that's a self-imposed security policy or forced on them by changes to insurance premiums?
    The excesses increased for a lot, the business interruption insurance market was what really caused grief for all concerned.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I think a number of the people who lost shops/equipment/homes in the riots are still waiting for compensation. Clearly, those delays are down to the government but they too have had no justice, indeed, rather less justice than that afforded to the Duggan family who got an inquest and an outcome.

I have mentioned my support for legal gun ownership on here before. People having their houses and shops looted should have been able to defend themselves.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited January 2014

Hehe.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

The excesses increased for a lot, the business interruption insurance market was what really caused grief for all concerned.
    Thanks TSE

• Options
    Ooops looks like Chris Smalling has made himself look like a complete Bell end.

On the front page of the Sun dressed up as a suicide bomber.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Nasty cheap shot HL to accuse a PM supporting a policy in order to enrich a relative.

• Options

Good evening, everyone.

Story on Chris Christie here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25659532

My suspicion is that people are over-doing this. One story on its own won't sink Christie, unless he is personally linked to authorizing it. The danger lies in the fact it's a sign that those around him acted in this way rather casually, and there could be a bunch of other similar stories turning up.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Cyclefree said:

I have mentioned my support for legal gun ownership on here before. People having their houses and shops looted should have been able to defend themselves.

Nah, we don't want to end up like the US.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    "The year 2014 would be "a year of hard truths," Osborne warned.

Dennis Skinner retorted: "It will not be hard truths for people like Mr Osborne and the rest of them on millionaires' row."
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Thanks TSE

Some of the claims are still being processed/in dispute/arbitration.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Cyclefree said:

Nah, we don't want to end up like the US.
    Why would we end up like the US rather than, say, Switzerland?
  • Options
    Yeah, shit got real for Chris Christie

Emergency responders were delayed in attending to four medical situations – including one in which a 91-year-old woman lay unconscious – due to traffic gridlock caused by unannounced closures of access lanes to the George Washington Bridge, according to the head of the borough’s EMS department.

The woman later died, borough records show.

In at least two of those instances, response time doubled, noted EMS coordinator Paul Favia, who documented those cases in a Sept. 10 letter to Mayor Mark Sokolich, which The Record obtained.

http://www.northjersey.com/fortlee/GWB_lane_closures_delayed_EMS_response_in_Fort_Lee.html?mobile=1&ic=1&iphone=1
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

tpfkar said:

You aren't the only person to have made that same point today in a positive way, oddly enough.

Unless there's a dramatic change the LDs will have real problems retaining seats with new candidates. Sitting MPs standing again will do reasonably okay against the Tory opposition but will struggle where Labour is the challenger.

So much depends on local organisation, Where that is still working fine they will be very tough opponents.

The whole differentiation strategy that we are seeing will help bring back LAB tactical voters.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Ah well, now it is online manner. If you think it is dull or boring, that's up to you. I give my opinions and my opinions on other peoples opinions and as long as it is within the site rules, it doesn't really matter who thinks it is dull or not really. Would it make you feel happier if I posted I was all offended you think it is dull, I will if you want.
    No not at all, crack on, sorry for mentioning it
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

No not at all, crack on, sorry for mentioning it
    Cheers!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    edited January 2014
    I hope the Lib Dems select Julia Goldsworthy for Bath, she's great
  • Options

Yeah, shit got real for Chris Christie

Emergency responders were delayed in attending to four medical situations – including one in which a 91-year-old woman lay unconscious – due to traffic gridlock caused by unannounced closures of access lanes to the George Washington Bridge, according to the head of the borough’s EMS department.

The woman later died, borough records show.

In at least two of those instances, response time doubled, noted EMS coordinator Paul Favia, who documented those cases in a Sept. 10 letter to Mayor Mark Sokolich, which The Record obtained.

http://www.northjersey.com/fortlee/GWB_lane_closures_delayed_EMS_response_in_Fort_Lee.html?mobile=1&ic=1&iphone=1

We are 23 months away from the 2016 Iowa caucus - that's a long time and a lot can happen.

• Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

The Kay Burley one is presumably calling people "stupid women"?
    I think I've worked that one out.

Isn't it a reference to Aidan rather than Kay Burley?
This discussion has been closed.