Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

Comments

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

So much depends on local organisation, Where that is still working fine they will be very tough opponents.

I think Bath is one of the areas where the local organisation is strong enough to hold on with a new (though presumably not entirely new, a local cllr perhaps) candidate. 2011 local election results here were pretty good.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,588
    HYUFD said:

"The year 2014 would be "a year of hard truths," Osborne warned.

Dennis Skinner retorted: "It will not be hard truths for people like Mr Osborne and the rest of them on millionaires' row."

It would be interesting to know how much Dennis Skinner is worth, He's been an MP since 1970, and as far as I'm aware lives frugally. It's easily within the bounds of possibility that he might be a millionaire himself.

It's also equally possible that he's not as frugal as I imagine, or does lots of good works with his money. He seems the sort.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,204
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Neil said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope he doesn't now fall into the trap of being seen only as a defender of the Duggans of this world.

I cant see where he has defended him at all. He only noted the perception of injustice in the section you quoted below - and there undoubtedly is such a perception. He didnt say it was justified.
    I wasn't saying that he had; I was expressing the hope that he wouldn't, precisely because his judgment and reactions at the time of the riots was so well-judged and thoughtful.

As for the comments by the youths that they had the police under control and were enforcing the law, that is precisely a definition of anarchy - the forces of law and order had lost control and a lot of people were intent on taking advantage of that for their own selfish advantage at the expense of innocent victims

There is justified resentment e.g. at abuse of power by the police and then there is unjustified resentment i.e. of criminals that there are people/bodies there stopping them from carrying on their criminal activities. Important, I think, to distinguish between the two.

There was intertwined and inextricably linked all kinds of criminality, opportunism, bullying, vandalism and so forth but as many studies have shown, after a certain point it is not possible to distinguish the activities as you suggest.
    Well, the courts certainly were able to distinguish the activities, judging by the number of people who were convicted. And, in any case, even if you are resentful at, say, being bullied by the police or constantly stopped for questioning, if you then burn down a building with people still in it, who are at risk of their lives, you are a criminal. Your resentment does not - and cannot in any sort of civilised society - justify such actions.

What kind of country have we become when a drug dealer can't swan around North London waving a gun about in broad daylight anymore without running the risk of being shot by police?
    Did Magna Carta die in vain?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

GeoffM said:

Cyclefree said:

My son says he is still feeling the effects of the riots. He works in a leading supermarket chain, and before the riots they would have actual TV sets on the shelves; now they have empty boxes and the staff have to fetch the real TV if some-one want so to buy one.

I think a number of the people who lost shops/equipment/homes in the riots are still waiting for compensation. Clearly, those delays are down to the government but they too have had no justice, indeed, rather less justice than that afforded to the Duggan family who got an inquest and an outcome.

I have mentioned my support for legal gun ownership on here before. People having their houses and shops looted should have been able to defend themselves.

Nah, we don't want to end up like the US.
    Why would we end up like the US rather than, say, Switzerland?
    I have no idea, but given today's main news story, do we really want more guns around?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    I see many of Mark Duggan's supporters were chanting "no justice, no peace". Have they not realised they live in a civilised country where convictions are based on due process after a jury of one's peers considers you to be guilty beyond reasonable doubt, rather than vigilantism? Would they rather we were like Zimbabwe?
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    It's all very tetchy here. @SO. "Tosser". LOL.

SeatT. Tim. We shall never see their likes again.

*flounce*
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,168
    edited January 2014

Yeah, shit got real for Chris Christie

Emergency responders were delayed in attending to four medical situations – including one in which a 91-year-old woman lay unconscious – due to traffic gridlock caused by unannounced closures of access lanes to the George Washington Bridge, according to the head of the borough’s EMS department.

The woman later died, borough records show.

In at least two of those instances, response time doubled, noted EMS coordinator Paul Favia, who documented those cases in a Sept. 10 letter to Mayor Mark Sokolich, which The Record obtained.

http://www.northjersey.com/fortlee/GWB_lane_closures_delayed_EMS_response_in_Fort_Lee.html?mobile=1&ic=1&iphone=1

We are 23 months away from the 2016 Iowa caucus - that's a long time and a lot can happen.

I suspect there's going to be multiple lawsuits against the Governor, both personally and against the office of Governor, plus his opponents will be using this against him.

Not the ideal background to be launching a Presidential Campaign.
  • Options
    I see Diane Abbott still gets to speak about race relations on the BBC. Would they invite on a white person who had said "black people love playing divide and rule"?
  • Options

I hope the Lib Dems select Julia Goldsworthy for Bath, she's great

I hope they select Lembit "tripod" Opik.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,016
    Socrates said:

I see Diane Abbott still gets to speak about race relations on the BBC. Would they invite on a white person who had said "black people love playing divide and rule"?

She is a hideous race-baiter. What was that line Andrew Neill nailed her for during the leadership election? "West African mums will go to the wall for their children".
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Another Obamacare update - I seem to have fallen victim to the Death Panel!

I went to renew my prescriptions last week under my new insurer. The company already had my prescriptions on file, and the drug store was familiar with my plan - my wife works for the state, and we're on that. Even though I'm not strictly under Obamacare yet, all plans have to be compliant.

One of my medications is not on the 'approved list'. I've been on this drug for years, but since Jan 1 that's all changed.

What modern high priced miracle drug is this? Flovent. Yes Flovent. I've been on this for years with no problem, so it's an Obamacare issue.

The drug store submits paperwork to the doctor'soffice, who have to provide chapter and verse as to why they prescribed it for me, then it is forwarded to the insurance company, who will (I'm told) approve it promptly, then the approval is sent to the drug store.

The real world solution to this? The doctor's office gave me a free inhaler (marketing sample) to tide me over.

Another less than reassuring 'benefit' of Obamacare I discovered last week is that you can get a will written for free - the insurer will reimburse you.
  • Options
    Regarding Bath there was a big Lab-Lib swing in 2010 which I would expect to unwind but would still leave circa a 5k majority. What will really cost the Tories is the boundary changes. As Bath has only 67k electors, it was planned to have 2 more rural wards added in which could have made the difference. Doh! These rural wards will surely be added in at the next boundary changes but a new LD may be established in the seat by then...

• Options
    Socrates said:

I see many of Mark Duggan's supporters were chanting "no justice, no peace". Have they not realised they live in a civilised country where convictions are based on due process after a jury of one's peers considers you to be guilty beyond reasonable doubt, rather than vigilantism? Would they rather we were like Zimbabwe?

Presumably, they would.

It's nice to see you return.

• Options
    Socrates said:

They live in a country where they are free to disagree with an inquest verdict and to continue to campaign for what they view to be justice. Where is the vigilantism in that?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Emergency responders were delayed in attending to four medical situations – including one in which a 91-year-old woman lay unconscious – due to traffic gridlock caused by unannounced closures of access lanes to the George Washington Bridge, according to the head of the borough’s EMS department.

In at least two of those instances, response time doubled, noted EMS coordinator Paul Favia, who documented those cases in a Sept. 10 letter to Mayor Mark Sokolich, which The Record obtained.

http://www.northjersey.com/fortlee/GWB_lane_closures_delayed_EMS_response_in_Fort_Lee.html?mobile=1&ic=1&iphone=1

Christie's made a statement:

"What I’ve seen today for the first time is unacceptable. I am outraged and deeply saddened to learn that not only was I misled by a member of my staff, but this completely inappropriate and unsanctioned conduct was made without my knowledge.

One thing is clear: This type of behavior is unacceptable and I will not tolerate it because the people of New Jersey deserve better. This behavior is not representative of me or my Administration in any way, and people will be held responsible for their actions."

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/367904/christies-statement-bridge-closure-revelations-andrew-johnson
  • Options
    Is Benefit Street some sort of spoof? The main protagonists seem to think they're doing a reality version of Shameless. The drink and drugs must have made them oblivious to the fact that they're being made to look ridiculous.
  • Options
    Ooooh another of my bets could be a winner now, Scotland to vote yes.

Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling patch up differences to fight for Union

Former PM praises Darling as they agree to work together against Alex Salmond

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10559952/Gordon-Brown-and-Alistair-Darling-patch-up-differences-to-fight-for-Union.html
  • Options

Is Benefit Street some sort of spoof? The main protagonists seem to think they're doing a reality version of Shameless. The drink and drugs must have made them oblivious to the fact that they're being made to look ridiculous.

They claim they were set up

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/benefits-street-channel-4-documentary-2994242
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,387
    Quincel said:

Amen. OGH and his team/assistant/second account/revolutionary AI do a generally good job in generally very difficult circumstances. Frankly, the rest of us should do a better job to make this site moderatable without spending so much of OGH's time, so he can spend it on the research and articles which bring us here in the first place.

There's a lot in that. I liked both SeanT's and tim's contributions (offensive but sharp - much better than just yah-boo stuff) and I hope they'll both be back in due course, but it's ultimately a matter for them and the moderators, and I'm 101% behind Mike's position against naming another contributor and even his wife. And if Mike wants to toughen moderation generally, I think we should support it.

By the way, I enjoy computer's contributions - naturally because I usually agree with them but also because they're always cheery - like ave it he brightens the grumpier threads.

• Options
    @Tim_B

Flovent is no longer being covered because your insurer has decided there are cheaper generics available that work just as well, if not better:

http://asth.ma/post/70286417032/many-will-not-get-pharmacy-coverage-for-flovent

You should have received a note from your insurer as they were sent out. It is one of just two major companies that have decided to drop it. It is entirely unrelated to Obamacare, and the "approved list" is not from government but the insurers. It's quaint to know people are still believing in "death panels" though.

I'm glad that you will be able to get a perfectly acceptable alternative to the drug. Can you imagine if you were one of the people in Republican-run states who can not afford insurance because their state refused to expand Medicaid?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/benefits-street-channel-4-documentary-2994242
    I'm not completely sure how someone could be set up to sell drugs, shoplift or steal. But the Guardian and Owen Jones seem convinced on the point.
  • Options

There's no doubt the slow but incessant drumbeat of negative press stories about Christie is increasing.

I drive across the GW about 5-6 times a year, and cannot remember - even going back over 3 decades - when there were not lane closures either on the bridge or approaches one side or the other for road works. I have tried for years to find a bridge or tunnel combination to get me across from Jersey to Long Island, and they are all problematic.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Neil said:

Socrates said:

They live in a country where they are free to disagree with an inquest verdict and to continue to campaign for what they view to be justice. Where is the vigilantism in that?
    Upthread weren't there reports of doors being kicked in and violent threats being made? That sounds a considerable step up from just daubing "Bill Stickers is Innocent" under train arches.

Admittedly I'm risking my short term memory credibility against the laziness of scrolling back to check on the door dit, but I'm a gambling man and I like the odds.

• Options
    @NickPalmer Do you think posters that accuse others of salivating over child abuse should be allowed to post on the site?
  • Options
    Neil said:

Socrates said:

Peace is the absence of violence. Threatening to end that unless a verdict is changed is blackmail.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Quincel said:

Socrates said:

She is a hideous race-baiter. What was that line Andrew Neill nailed her for during the leadership election? "West African mums will go to the wall for their children".
    West Indian I think

She is a disgrace, and if she were white and made similar comments she would have been out of a job long ago

http://news.sky.com/story/915514/diane-abbotts-history-of-gaffes

• Options
    antifrank said:

I'm not completely sure how someone could be set up to sell drugs, shoplift or steal. But the Guardian and Owen Jones seem convinced on the point.
    Well there is that, some of them think it curious the show aired the day George Osborne talked about 25bn worth of welfare cuts.

The thing is, one of the ladies, White Dee, really did impress me, she had a real desire to help sort out other people's problems, she could do well in business or some other organisation.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Neil said:

Socrates said:

Peace is the absence of violence. Threatening to end that unless a verdict is changed is blackmail.
    I think you've misinterpreted their slogan.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Socrates said:

Neil said:

Socrates said:

I think you've misinterpreted their slogan.
    I hope you checked out link 28
  • Options
    @isam:

Ms Abbott reportedly said staff at her local east London hospital who were "blonde, blue-eyed Finnish girls" were not suitable to be nurses because they had "never met a black person before".

I hadn't heard that one before. It's amazing that the BBC doesn't give a damn about racism as long as you're the right colour.
  • Options
    White Dee does seem switched on. I quite like the entrepreneurial streak of The 50p Man as well. The rest seem like a Daily Mail wet dream. Bizarre.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Ooh, great. If PB's going all nicey-nicey maybe some will stop slagging off public sector workers like they're the scum of the earth.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Socrates said:

@Tim_B

Flovent is no longer being covered because your insurer has decided there are cheaper generics available that work just as well, if not better:

http://asth.ma/post/70286417032/many-will-not-get-pharmacy-coverage-for-flovent

You should have received a note from your insurer as they were sent out. It is one of just two major companies that have decided to drop it. It is entirely unrelated to Obamacare, and the "approved list" is not from government but the insurers. It's quaint to know people are still believing in "death panels" though.

I'm glad that you will be able to get a perfectly acceptable alternative to the drug. Can you imagine if you were one of the people in Republican-run states who can not afford insurance because their state refused to expand Medicaid?

It's not even my insurer then - it's their pharmacy manager. The pharmacy today told me it would be approved as they have had other cases of this since Jan 1.

I received no prior information on this.

I do happen to live in one of those Republican states you mention - they decided against the Medicaid extension for good reason - long term it's a financial black hole. What they've done instead is take the money and use it to fund private insurance.

Oh the death panel - it's real enough: the Independent Payments Advisory Board.

Thanks for the information Socrates.
  • Options
    David Moyes faces a fight to convince several senior Manchester United players of his credentials following the dismal form that has resulted in three consecutive defeats for the first time in 13 years.

The Guardian can reveal that some within the dressing room are unsure of Moyes's ability to reverse a sequence that includes a league defeat by Tottenham Hotspur, being knocked out of the FA Cup by Swansea City, and Tuesday's 2-1 loss at Sunderland in the League Cup semi-final, first leg.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/08/manchester-united-players-manager-david-moyes-credentials-champions-league
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080
    edited January 2014
    I was greatly amused to hear the Prime Minister thinks a spell of mild and stormy, wet weather in January is down to "climate change"

Nevermind "Change" there can actually be nothing more "normal" than a mild, wet and windy January in the United Kingdom!

The mildest January on record in the UK was way back in 1916, while the wettest was in 1948. We've got a long way to go before we beat either of those years, but even if we did it would simply be an indication that we've had a very strong jet stream bringing us tradiaional UK winter weather.

PM = Numpty!

Happy new year, PB. :D
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530

I do not miss tim at all. His occasional flashes of wit were far outweighed by his personalised attacks on various politicians and posters.

Is this the part where left wing posters are supposed to start posting endlessly about SeanT's many failings as you and so many of the PB tories have done for tim since he stopped posting? Thanks but no thanks. The fact that so many of you are still pouring the opprobrium onto tim is somewhat at odds with decrying why he was forced to stop posting on here. Your partisan opinion of him is irrelevant if you truly think what was done was wrong. It's only purpose can be to either justify or defend the fact that he is no longer posting.

It's self-evidently not just SeanT who lacks insight into their own actions.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,869
    TSE Meanwhile, Hillary begins to measure the drapes and sends Christie an extra large steak and fries to console him with extra lashings of salt followed by a huge chocolate cake, and some deep fried mars bars to snack on!
  • Options
    @TSE

It's always good to remember Cardinal O'Bigot, he has been quality entertainment over the years. I wonder how active a role Ireland's ex-Presidents will play in the gay marriage referendum. The current President is undoubtedly also a huge supporter but cannot get involved in the debate.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,869
    Josias Indeed, but unlike Boy George Skinner can say he spent his early years 'down pit' which gives him a pass with the class warriors!
  • Options
    Carola said:

Ooh, great. If PB's going all nicey-nicey maybe some will stop slagging off public sector workers like they're the scum of the earth.

I like your optimism!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TSE Meanwhile, Hillary begins to measure the drapes and sends Christie an extra large steak and fries to console him with extra lashings of salt followed by a huge chocolate cake, and some deep fried mars bars to snack on!

I still think Joe Biden is the winner here.

Scandals like this, bring up memories of the conduct/grudges/mistakes of the Clinton.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@TSE

It's always good to remember Cardinal O'Bigot, he has been quality entertainment over the years. I wonder how active a role Ireland's ex-Presidents will play in the gay marriage referendum. The current President is undoubtedly also a huge supporter but cannot get involved in the debate.

There's only two living ex Presidents? the two Marys, or am I missing others?
  • Options

Neil said:

@TSE

Just the two - the only other President who was alive in our lifetime died a few years ago.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

@TSE

Just the two - the only other President who was alive in our lifetime died a few years ago.
    When I'm in Dublin next month, I'll ask my focus group* how they see the referendum going.

*Not an actual focus group, it will be mostly the hotel staff, and taxi drivers I'll be asking.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

@NickPalmer Do you think posters that accuse others of salivating over child abuse should be allowed to post on the site?

JackW and indeed Mike Smithson made (admittedly funny) sexual innuendos about SeanT and Taiwan's very young people/daughters due to SeanT visiting there again only a day or so ago. Nor was it even remotely the first time. The curious thing is that SeanT has never exploded in a fit of pomposity demanding either of them not be allowed to post on the site despite the crude and fairly obvious implication of their jokes.

Perhaps there's a lesson to be learned in that?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,110

As a Tory I'd have thought you'd be hoping to retake Bath? Or are you one of those Cameroons who's come to the view that the best chance of Tory government is to have gullible Lib Dems onside.

Perhaps you are just the generous sort but it's a strange world when Tories are hopnig for the best for Lib Dems.
  • Options

As a Tory I'd have thought you'd be hoping to retake Bath? Or are you one of those Cameroons who's come to the view that the best chance of Tory government is to have gullible Lib Dems onside.

Perhaps you are just the generous sort but it's a strange world when Tories are hopnig for the best for Lib Dems.
    I'm a realist, I cannot foresee the Tories regaining Bath in 2015.
  • Options
    @TSE

It will pass in Dublin, it's the Donegals of the world where it wont. It will be a case of which part of the country (liberal, urban or conservative, rural) has a higher turnout. Mind you I'd be surprised if most people even knew there was a referendum on the issue promised.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@TSE

It will pass in Dublin, it's the Donegals of the world where it wont. It will be a case of which part of the country (liberal, urban or conservative, rural) has a higher turnout. Mind you I'd be surprised if most people even knew there was a referendum on the issue promised.

Well I'm not going to Donegal, I made that mistake once.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,133

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10559952/Gordon-Brown-and-Alistair-Darling-patch-up-differences-to-fight-for-Union.html

Isn't Brown quite popular in Scotland though ?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,387
    Socrates said:

I don't like posters having a go at other posters, full stop, and when it goes OTT like that a temporary ban is the right answer. We all post stuff that someone doesn't agree with, and if we spend our time telling each other off (rather than disagreeing with the content), it's painful to trudge through.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,174
    I love this idea of unleashing a furious traffic jam of retribution upon your enemies.

Looking at the timing I reckon Tim has been in Thailand agitating for street demonstrations and civil disorder that will leave SeanT stuck in a taxi for hours on end.
  • Options

David Moyes faces a fight to convince several senior Manchester United players of his credentials following the dismal form that has resulted in three consecutive defeats for the first time in 13 years.

The Guardian can reveal that some within the dressing room are unsure of Moyes's ability to reverse a sequence that includes a league defeat by Tottenham Hotspur, being knocked out of the FA Cup by Swansea City, and Tuesday's 2-1 loss at Sunderland in the League Cup semi-final, first leg.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/08/manchester-united-players-manager-david-moyes-credentials-champions-league

Moyes' ability ?

Their own ability shouldn't they look at ?

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Isn't Brown quite popular in Scotland though ?
    He is, as evidenced by the swing to Lab in Scotland in GE2010 but he's up against Salmond.

Honestly, he's the man who calls his own voters bigots.

Can you imagine what he might say in a referendum campaign?
  • Options

double figures vs the spanners?

I've bet there'll be six or Man City goals tonight...
    OK I'm officially worried about West Ham's survival chances this season :(
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Mick_Pork said:

Socrates said:

JackW and indeed Mike Smithson made (admittedly funny) sexual innuendos about SeanT and Taiwan's very young people/daughters due to SeanT visiting there again only a day or so ago. Nor was it even remotely the first time. The curious thing is that SeanT has never exploded in a fit of pomposity demanding either of them not be allowed to post on the site despite the crude and fairly obvious implication of their jokes.

If you really think teasing over someone being attracted to adult teenagers is equivalent to a non-humourous accusation of enjoying child abuse, as part of a personal attack, you live in a very strange world. It's amazing what people will defend as long as the perpetrator is on the same side of the political spectrum.
  • Options
    Mr Brown is not expected to join Better Together but he is happy to co-operate with the overall battle to defeat Alex Salmond’s separatists and at a press conference in his Fife constituency he was complimentary about Mr Darling’s efforts as the campaign’s leader, saying: “I’m working very closely with Better Together.
    All good friends now with no animosity whatsoever. It certainly sounds believable. Just like all the times Brown drew a line under the Blairite Brownite wars before the 2010 election.

*chortle*

Poor old Lamont won't know where to turn.
  • Options
    Re. Duggan. If the Jury concluded he was unarmed when he was shot, how could they conclude his shooting was lawful?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scandals like this, bring up memories of the conduct/grudges/mistakes of the Clinton.
    He's probably not helped by Obama's former Defense Secretary of accusing him of being wrong on every major foreign policy decision of the last forty years. Joe Biden has as much chance at the White House as Jon Huntsman did last time round.
  • Options

I've bet on Sam being the next manager out, so if my form maintains, that's a good thing.

I've also bet on West Ham to be relegated, and well my good form can't continue forever.
  • Options

Re. Duggan. If the Jury concluded he was unarmed when he was shot, how could they conclude his shooting was lawful?

The police believed there was an imminent threat.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Socrates said:

HYUFD said:

He's probably not helped by Obama's former Defense Secretary of accusing him of being wrong on every major foreign policy decision of the last forty years. Joe Biden has as much chance at the White House as Jon Huntsman did last time round.
    But when was the last time the sitting Vice-President went for his party's nomination and not get it?

Has been a while...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Tim_B said:

I do happen to live in one of those Republican states you mention - they decided against the Medicaid extension for good reason - long term it's a financial black hole. What they've done instead is take the money and use it to fund private insurance.

Oh the death panel - it's real enough: the Independent Payments Advisory Board.

Thanks for the information Socrates.

Would you have actuarial projections that show the extension of Medicaid is "a financial blackhole"? Do you really think it's a preferable situation to people being unable to afford healthcare (which is the straight choice for governors in this situation?

As for IPAB:

Others have claimed an Independent Payment Advisory Board created by the law will be charged with rationing care. The 15-member IPAB — made up of doctors and medical professionals, economists and health care management experts, and representatives for consumers and seniors — is tasked with finding ways to reduce the growth in Medicare spending. But as we have noted before, the law explicitly says that the IPAB’s proposals “shall not include any recommendation to ration health care, raise revenues or Medicare beneficiary premiums … increase Medicare beneficiary costsharing (including deductibles, coinsurance, and copayments), or otherwise restrict benefits or modify eligibility criteria.” (See page 490.)*

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/04/death-panels-redux/
  • Options

I've bet on Sam being the next manager out, so if my form maintains, that's a good thing.

I've also bet on West Ham to be relegated, and well my good form can't continue forever.
    I wouldn't bet on it, but wouldn't it be great if West Ham, Fulham and Palace were the relegated teams?
  • Options

I wouldn't bet on it, but wouldn't it be great if West Ham, Fulham and Palace were the relegated teams?
    Well you wouldn't get very good odds for a start.
  • Options
    @TSE

How big is your sample size for that? What odds will you offer me that Joe Biden will not get the Democratic nomination next time round?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

But he was unarmed??
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

But he was unarmed??
    They didn't know that at the time.
  • Options

They knew he was returning from having acquired a gun. They did not know he had dumped it. They believed he was reaching for the gun and so opened fire.

I am not saying their story is truthful, nor that they were right to open fire. But there is a plausible sequence of events which were sufficiently coherent to convince the jury.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    I thought I better come back and post something here, just in case people thought that I'd gone forever. I see that a few things have changed since I was a regular on here - SeanT and Tim gone. Has Ave It been around here at all recently?

Finally, it looks possible that we're at a major turning point in Sterling: http://elliottfxtrader.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/gbpusd-h4.html

Am expecting the Euro to defy the doomsters and remain strong in the immediate future, with EURGBP putting in an important bottom here, and rallying up towards parity a la February 2009.

Would like to have been a fly on the wall to see Cable slapped down by Mr Osborne over a house price bubble!

And as for the Polar Vortex, long term forecasting models that I've seen of this winter show that high pressure should build over Scandinavia and Northern Russia, with a very long fetch on some easterlies from deepest Siberia. Is anyone on here still sprouting the tired old nonsense on Global Warming?! I loved taking on allcomers here in the past on that subject - amazing to see Piers Corbyn's solar wind theories in action and global cooling into 2035 a reality that the vast majority of people can now see is happening. The present jet stream blocking patterns and having moved south generally is classic mini-ice age conditions - with all the ramifications that that brings.
  • Options

As a life long Hammers fan from a family of Hammers fans this last couple of years has been a nightmare for me because I also detest Sam Alladyce and have done since long before he became West Ham manager.

I actually found myself last season hoping West Ham would be relegated just so we could get rid of him. I find myself in the same position this season.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Mick_Pork said:

Socrates said:

If you really think teasing over someone being attracted to adult teenagers is equivalent to a non-humourous accusation of enjoying child abuse, as part of a personal attack, you live in a very strange world. It's amazing what people will defend as long as the perpetrator is on the same side of the political spectrum.
    SeanT has had huge failings on insight and what is and is not a joke, (which I don't intend to detail at length) yet even he knew perfectly well there was no intent to paint him as enjoying child abuse.

You on the other hand were and still are utterly unable to differentiate between a post which was clearly intended to be a comment on how vociferous and obsessed you were with a particular story (rightly or wrongly that's quite obviously what he intended) and some strange implication in your own mind that was tantamount to you personally being accused of enjoying the child abuse itself. It was a comment intended to denigrate the amount of time you spent pouring over the story. Now that's not a friendly accusation, and it may or may not be true, but to automatically assume he was accusing you personally of enjoying child abuse rather than the story is a pompous and incorrect assumption on your part that SeanT has never made.

As for your weak and feeble nonsense about political affiliation. Tim is a Blairite, a labour supporter and a NeoCon. So you obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about if you think he or SeanT are even close to my political side of the spectrum. But desperate people do tend to reach for desperate excuses.

I'm still highly amused that any supposed libertarian would pompously demand the banning of someone to silence them instead of simply stating why they are wrong and with reasoned debate. Of course that may be asking far too much of some people's limited abilities.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

@TSE

How big is your sample size for that? What odds will you offer me that Joe Biden will not get the Democratic nomination next time round?

Socrates said:

@TSE

I'm quite content on my betting position for 2016.

My sample goes all the way back to 1952.
  • Options

As a life long Hammers fan from a family of Hammers fans this last couple of years has been a nightmare for me because I also detest Sam Alladyce and have done since long before he became West Ham manager.

I actually found myself last season hoping West Ham would be relegated just so we could get rid of him. I find myself in the same position this season.
    Speaking as a Liverpool fan, I know how depressing it is, that your season is dependent on Andy Carroll coming back.

Look on the bright side, at least you didn't pay £35million for him, or £20 million for Downing.
  • Options
    This nails it.
    John Fugelsang ‏@JohnFugelsang 9m

Chris Christie apologizes, and sincerely hopes this can make Tea Party voters forget his insufficient hatred for Obama.

Rest assured, there will be another GOP circus and it's going to make the last hilarious parade of unelectables look like very small beer.
  • Options

I sympathise with what you're going through - Crewe had a nightmare earlier this season with 7 players up for a rape case from pre-season training in Cornwall, which thankfully was thrown out in mid-November - its no coincidence that our form has picked up since then.

I never did think Allardyce was a good match for West Ham in terms of style of football. He seems to lack the energy as well that was a hallmark of his time in charge of Bolton. And to have no cover for Andy Carroll was an incredible oversight that has come back to haunt him.

• Options
    Hey hunchman, good to see you, I've hope you've been catching the waves and buying low / selling high (or vice versa) ;)
  • Options

Neil said:

@TSE

What happened?

I was in Donegal in an Ulster rugby shirt in November and had a: 'Don't see many of those round these parts'

I guess a hat with 'Prod bastard' would have been just as effective
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 662
    edited January 2014
    Socrates/MickPork - There's nothing productive about your conversation, so this conversation is now ended.
  • Options

Socrates said:

I don't like posters having a go at other posters, full stop, and when it goes OTT like that a temporary ban is the right answer. We all post stuff that someone doesn't agree with, and if we spend our time telling each other off (rather than disagreeing with the content), it's painful to trudge through.

Nick, can you start a dip game on playdiplomacy? I'm sick of being stuffed by people I don't know. Much more fun with people who know who they are killing.
  • Options
    Thanks Neil. Has been a time to take a break from things and reassess exactly where we are. I was bullish last time I was here...and I shouldn't have been predicting a downturn until around now, as these great bear markets never take much more than 2.5 years, and I've had mid-2016 nailed down as a very important bottom for a fair while. Should have realised that a long time before I did - we all make mistakes, time to be humble and admit our shortcomings.
  • Options
    @Hunchman, Ave It has been around, I upset him though, I pointed out what good managers Brendan Rodgers and Malky Mackay are when they leave a small club like Watford and go to top clubs like Liverpool and Cardiff.

next pb meet he isn't buying me drinks, he'll be spitting in them
  • Options

Neil said:

@TSE

What happened?

I was in Donegal in an Ulster rugby shirt in November and had a: 'Don't see many of those round these parts'

I guess a hat with 'Prod bastard' would have been just as effective
    I wore my England rugby shirt.

To be fair they were very friendly, I think they were delighted they had an England fan to insult.
  • Options
    @MickPork

While I will no longer comment on the broader discussion, as per the moderator's wishes, I am not, and do not claim to be, a libertarian.
  • Options
    The problem with Biden is he is 71 now and would be 74 at the date of his inauguration. Reagan is the oldest president to start his term, being 69 at inauguration. Hillary is not much younger at 66 currently and would be as old as Reagan at inauguration.

Surely the Dems must have someone younger and fresher?
  • Options
    Hi Lucian - how are you doing? Hope you weren't in Oz to witness the humiliation? Having been on the 2002/3, 2006/7 and 2010/11 Ashes tours (and got out of Heathrow 24 hours before it shutdown with the bad weather in December 2010) I think I've dodged a few bullets on England cricket debacles, apart from being in Melbourne in 2006...although I did see Warne's 700th test wicket on a freezing boxing day back then!

I'm very much of the opinion that KP is behind all the trouble again....3rd strike and you're out after Moores 2009 and Strauss 2012 as far as I'm concerned if all the reports I'm getting are true. The Swann retirement statement, Selvey Guardian report, Vaughan comments today, the way KP got a bowl when the game was up in the 2nd innings in Sydney and KP's recent tweets all seem to point to that I think - your thoughts?
  • Options

Socrates said:

@TSE

Socrates said:

@TSE

So a sample set of four then?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Socrates said:

@MickPork

While I will no longer comment on the broader discussion, as per the moderator's wishes, I am not, and do not claim to be, a libertarian.

Fine. I will also obviously abide to the moderators wishes and simply state that I am not, and have never claimed to be, a labour supporter, a ukip supporter, a NeoCon or a Blairite.
  • Options

The problem with Biden is he is 71 now and would be 74 at the date of his inauguration. Reagan is the oldest president to start his term, being 69 at inauguration. Hillary is not much younger at 66 currently and would be as old as Reagan at inauguration.

Surely the Dems must have someone younger and fresher?

The problem with Biden is that he has no base constituency in the Democratic party. No one describes themselves as a Biden Democrat.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

@TSE

Socrates said:

@TSE

Yes, put it this way, during the current primary format, no sitting Vice-President has failed to get his party's nomination, when he has gone for the nomination.

That's the indisputable fact.
  • Options
    @TSE @Lucian

After next year I will report back on how wearing a "yes to gay marriage" rosette in a Donegal pub goes down and we can compare to the Ulster / England rugby shirt experiences. (Donegal may be very socially conservative but it's very friendly so I dont anticipate any issues.)
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Re Bath , the council results in 2011 were the best ever for the Lib Dems . They won 12 of the 15 wards making up the constituency compared to the Conservatives 3 . In 2007 they had won 10 the Conservatives 4 with 1 ward 1 councillor each . The Lib Dems gained both seats in Abbey and the second seat in Widcombe .

Re Tim , I think on balance his non posting is a quite a loss to the site . To even up the treatment he had from two particular posters perhaps someone should have posted a google map reference of Plato's home and an address for SeanT's ex and daughter but I am sure there would have been howls of outrage from the same posters who applauded their treatment of Tim .
  • Options

@Hunchman, Ave It has been around, I upset him though, I pointed out what good managers Brendan Rodgers and Malky Mackay are when they leave a small club like Watford and go to top clubs like Liverpool and Cardiff.

Thanks TSE. I'm intrigued as to how Solskjaer is going to do at Cardiff? Malky's treatment was one of the worst things I've seen in football in a very long time....hope he gets a deserved decent job somewhere soon, am sure he will one way or another. Everything is a lot more interesting post-Ferguson. It's hard enough to follow an 11 and a half year serving prime minister, its similary nigh on impossible to follow a 26 year football manager reign. I think Utd will try to stick behind Moyes come hell and high water, with the influence of Ferguson and Bobby Charlton....the latter remembers well the strife they went through in the early 1970's following the end of the Busby era.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Hi Lucian - how are you doing? Hope you weren't in Oz to witness the humiliation? Having been on the 2002/3, 2006/7 and 2010/11 Ashes tours (and got out of Heathrow 24 hours before it shutdown with the bad weather in December 2010) I think I've dodged a few bullets on England cricket debacles, apart from being in Melbourne in 2006...although I did see Warne's 700th test wicket on a freezing boxing day back then!

I'm very much of the opinion that KP is behind all the trouble again....3rd strike and you're out after Moores 2009 and Strauss 2012 as far as I'm concerned if all the reports I'm getting are true. The Swann retirement statement, Selvey Guardian report, Vaughan comments today, the way KP got a bowl when the game was up in the 2nd innings in Sydney and KP's recent tweets all seem to point to that I think - your thoughts?

No. My trip to Aus was aborted by my impending arrival. I have no idea about the rights and wrongs of the KP/AF thing but he was right about Moores and Flower is a very lucky chap if he stays on. KP isn't behind all the players playing like dullard automatons.

KP bowling had more to do with Root being left out, is my thinking.

If I were in charge of the ECB I would ask Cook if he wants to be captain. If he does, I'd then ask him if he wants Flower, KP, both or neither.

If Cook doesn't want to be captain... um.
  • Options

Sorry I didn't make the last do at Dirty Dicks, I was 48 hours back from a wonderful 3 weeks in Ecuador at the time in late November. And Ave It still owes me a pint from absolutely ages back!
  • Options
    Hi hunchman, how was South America?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,174

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

@TSE

Socrates said:

@TSE

Yes, put it this way, during the current primary format, no sitting Vice-President has failed to get his party's nomination, when he has gone for the nomination.

That's the indisputable fact.
    Another indisputable fact: A vice-president hasn't won the nomination against a former First Lady who was runner up for the previous nomination then went on to be Secretary of State since at least the 1960s, if ever.
  • Options
    Just leafing through DirecTV movie channels and came across Exodus.

I realized I have the single of the theme played by Ferrante and Teicher, and just how old it is.......

sigh
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    hunchman said:

Thanks TSE. I'm intrigued as to how Solskjaer is going to do at Cardiff? Malky's treatment was one of the worst things I've seen in football in a very long time....hope he gets a deserved decent job somewhere soon, am sure he will one way or another. Everything is a lot more interesting post-Ferguson. It's hard enough to follow an 11 and a half year serving prime minister, its similary nigh on impossible to follow a 26 year football manager reign. I think Utd will try to stick behind Moyes come hell and high water, with the influence of Ferguson and Bobby Charlton....the latter remembers well the strife they went through in the early 1970's following the end of the Busby era.
    Being manager at Cardff is a bit like being a servant to Caligula.

Expect a short life expectancy and irrational actions from your Master.

Ok, I can see the parallels with Southampton ditching Adkins for Mauricio Pochettino, I can't imagine the Southampton chairman sending tactical notes during a match, or telling the players to shoot from distance.

United, are a curious thing, I'm a fan of Moyes, but I wonder, how the Glazers will be able to cope with servicing their debt and providing a suitable transfer budget whilst out the Champions League.
This discussion has been closed.