Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Perhaps I’ve judged Corbyn wrong as new Ipsos MORI poll sees C

12346»

Comments

• Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649

pbr2013 said:

Mortimer said:

Icarus said:

Rang a Tory voting friend who cares for a husband with Parkinsons at home. Gets help and respite - not very impressed that she will have to pay!

The older voters are not going to like this.

As I predicted last thread. It has started. The backlash.

Terrible policy.

Will end in tears mark my words.

To answer some of the points raised on last thread. A key aspect of this is the removal of Cameron's overall cap, which was due in 2020.

So, you get unlucky and spend years in a care home. You pay - big time. Until you have only £100K left for your kids. And that's if they sort out the transfer on death between spouses and partners. No mention of that at this point as far as I can see.
    I'm struggling to see why the middle-aged should expect to have their parents' care paid for by the state so that they can receive more than £100,000 on their parents' death.
    Spot on.

The age of massive, state subsidised inheritances from the baby boomer generation is over before it really got going.

Good.
    But the overwhelming majority of boomers will leave a massive fortune to their prosperous middle-aged "children". A random sample of them will be reduced to beggary though care costs. There seems to be a mistaken idea afoot today that expensive end-of-life care is inevitable. It is not, and most people do not expect to need it.
    I have one statistic to hand. Three living parents in their 80s. One requires care.

But, with respect, we cannot therefore assume that one-third of people in their 80s will require care. I have no idea what the correct statistic is, or will be in future. All I know is that a lot of 80-year-olds drive to my local supermarket, in seeming good health. Dementia is a random affliction and the cost should be borne by the whole of society and not by the patient's unfortunate family.
    Reporting seems to be deficient here. Straightforward stats seem a bit hard to come by, esp given how comparatively unregulated the private care sector appears to be. Some numbers here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=statistic+how+many+uk+pensioners+need+social+care&oq=statistic+how+many+uk+pensioners+need+social+care&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.18443j0j4&client=ms-android-hms-vf-gb&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#xxri=0
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    I don't like the sound of this "Dementia Tax" :frowning:

Thank God I'm a horse!
  • Options
    OUT said:

OUT said:

OOOHH! That's a good un
    Hugh Grant is the thrice-shat droppings of a coprophage in hell.

He is an ourobouros of stool.
    Nah Trying too hard.
    It's a fair cop.

Should have stuck at Oxbridge whoremonger. Can I say that on here?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    I'll take no lessons on priorities from a man who prioritised Divine Brown over the gorgeous Liz Hurley
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    TudorRose said:

pbr2013 said:

I am doubtful that many of the latest converts to the Conservative cause are going to be put off by anything with a £100,000 longstop. Conservative support might well decline a bit south of the Severn and the Wash, but they have quite a cushion there. North of that line the impact should be more muted, I'd have thought.

Given that the average house price in Leeds and Manchester is about 150k I'm not sure that stands up.

https://www.hometrack.com/uk/insight/uk-cities-house-price-index/
    But, typically, owned by two people so falling outside the proposed limit for an individual. The issue will be for the single elderly, who will, presumably, normally go into a care home if they suffer from dementia and can't care for themselves.

Perhaps the biggest effect of the policy will be a change in the sorts of homes that the elderly buy when they go into retirement (which may not be a bad thing).
    This is also a good point. If senior citizens sell up, buy a retirement apartment and give the rest of the money away to the kids, then how much right or ability does the state have to force the kids to pay for their parents' care later?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320

Pulpstar said:

Pensioners think the dementia tax is absolute mince but sticking with May.

Phew.

£5 a week throughout a 40-year working life would raise £10,400 per person plus investment growth. If you had a 5% risk of needing institutional care it would produce a fund of £208,000 plus growth.
    "The great secret about the National Insurance Fund is that there ain't no fund." - ~Nye Bevan
    Like the News of the World you name the guilty party.
    It always puzzles me why we have a separate NIC when everybody knows it is just income tax by another name. Why not just call it what it is and/or roll it into the basic rate? Nobody is worse off, and the subterfuge comes to an end.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Oh diddums is Hacked Off Hugh upset that Leveson 2, Section 40 and the rest of his attacks on our free press have ran out of steam? Poor dear.
    Sucked Off Hugh, please.
  • Options

Oh diddums is Hacked Off Hugh upset that Leveson 2, Section 40 and the rest of his attacks on our free press have ran out of steam? Poor dear.
    Haha
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    I don't know if its been posted already but the electoral committion have uploaded there first weekly fundraising report, for the week 3-9 May, the totals are:

Conservative and Unionist Party £4,108,000
    Green Party £15,000
    Labour Party £2,683,300
    Liberal Democrats £180,000
    UK Independence Party (UKIP) £48,000
    Women's Equality Party £20,544

Its looking like a 2 hores race, all the minor party's including LD dwarfed by the big 2.

looking at the individual donations, Lab is almost all Union money and most of that is form the Union Unite. Conservative mostly individuals with a lot in the £25,000 to £50,000 range but the biggest is £900,000
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    edited May 2017

TudorRose said:

pbr2013 said:

I am doubtful that many of the latest converts to the Conservative cause are going to be put off by anything with a £100,000 longstop. Conservative support might well decline a bit south of the Severn and the Wash, but they have quite a cushion there. North of that line the impact should be more muted, I'd have thought.

Given that the average house price in Leeds and Manchester is about 150k I'm not sure that stands up.

But, typically, owned by two people so falling outside the proposed limit for an individual. The issue will be for the single elderly, who will, presumably, normally go into a care home if they suffer from dementia and can't care for themselves.

Perhaps the biggest effect of the policy will be a change in the sorts of homes that the elderly buy when they go into retirement (which may not be a bad thing).
    This is also a good point. If senior citizens sell up, buy a retirement apartment and give the rest of the money away to the kids, then how much right or ability does the state have to force the kids to pay for their parents' care later?
    Could be treated in the same way as IHT?
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    edited May 2017

Pulpstar said:

Phew.

£5 a week throughout a 40-year working life would raise £10,400 per person plus investment growth. If you had a 5% risk of needing institutional care it would produce a fund of £208,000 plus growth.
    "The great secret about the National Insurance Fund is that there ain't no fund." - ~Nye Bevan
    It always puzzles me why we have a separate NIC when everybody knows it is just income tax by another name. Why not just call it what it is and/or roll it into the basic rate? Nobody is worse off, and the subterfuge comes to an end.
    Because NI is not progressive at the top end, so it would look like a big tax increase for some. Politicians are scared.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

I don't know if its been posted already but the electoral committion have uploaded there first weekly fundraising report, for the week 3-9 May, the totals are:

Conservative and Unionist Party £4,108,000
    Green Party £15,000
    Labour Party £2,683,300
    Liberal Democrats £180,000
    UK Independence Party (UKIP) £48,000
    Women's Equality Party £20,544

Its looking like a 2 hores race, all the minor party's including LD dwarfed by the big 2.

looking at the individual donations, Lab is almost all Union money and most of that is form the Union Unite. Conservative mostly individuals with a lot in the £25,000 to £50,000 range but the biggest is £900,000

I meant to add Link to the page on the electoral commition site is hear:

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/227227/2017-UKPGE-Pre-poll-donations-and-loans-summary-document-Week-1.pdf
  • Options

pbr2013 said:

Are you saying that the Conservatives are targeting constituencies in Leeds and Manchester ?
    More a generalisation about Oop North. Brum is similar.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited May 2017
    O/T PB Fantasy Footie

Poch out!

Not only has he benched my player Eriksen meaning no points for me, he's brought in Sissoko for him... I mean that's TSE levels of trolling....
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    ab195 said:

Pulpstar said:

Phew.

Because NI is not progressive at the top end, so it would look like a big tax increase for some. Politicians are scared.
    There's also the question of Employers NI. If you merge Employees NIC and Income Tax, what do you do to Employers NIC?

I think it should be abolished.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sucked Off Hugh, please.
    :lol:
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Did anyone mention that this was a telephone poll ?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    ab195 said:

Pulpstar said:

Phew.

and the grey vote don't pay it more to the point!
  • Options

O/T PB Fantasy Footie

Poch out!

Not only has he benched my player Eriksen meaning no points for me, he's brought in Sissoko for him... I mean that's TSE levels of trolling....

Everyone I've picked this week because they were playing two games has barely played one match.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

ab195 said:

Pulpstar said:

Phew.

and the grey vote don't pay it more to the point!
    It's also not paid the same by those with two jobs. You get the NIC tax-free allowance twice if you have two jobs.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited May 2017

Pulpstar said:

Phew.

No, instead NICs should only be allowed to pay for unemployment benefit, the state pension, the NHS and social care as it was originally intended to do and so we use NIC to pay for rising demand in those areas, not income tax
  • Options

I'll take no lessons on priorities from a man who prioritised Divine Brown over the gorgeous Liz Hurley
    LH , a real bitch.
  • Options

O/T PB Fantasy Footie

Poch out!

Everyone I've picked this week because they were playing two games has barely played one match.
    I had Lorente first sub with 8 points... Gabbiadini missed the first game but blinking was recalled to play in the second one and promptly missed a penalty so scored exactly 0 points for me over a supposed 2 games and bed-blocked out my 8 points on the bench...

Grrr...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    murali_s said:

And the alternative is more of the same - dull as dishwater austerity and erosion of living standards (while the powerful and wealthy continue to plunder). People are quite frankly fed up of this and want a change.

No they don't - because the Tories are still expected to win handsomely. It is simply not true to say people want a change, if they increase the majority of the party in government.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TudorRose said:

pbr2013 said:

Could be treated in the same way as IHT?
    more likely the deliberate deprivation rules which apply more often to care fees issues
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    Not that much coverage of the poll so far, considering how surprising it is. Expect everyone thinks it's an outlier.

Except's it's actually what I thought would happen after all the coverage of all their manifesto, rare for the Tory-Nervous Beeb, these days. The Maybot's lead is far too stonking for it to make any lasting difference, of course.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

LH , a real bitch.
    Charming, as ever.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    ab195 said:

Pulpstar said:

Phew.

It could be made progressive at the top end though, to give the same effective marginal rate as people pay in the income range £50-100k, i.e. sometimes over 60%.

Some of the money could be used to give higher earners a steadily higher state pension. As happens in the US. Also didn't we have a system like this pre-Thatcher?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

What's the situation for social care in Scotland like ?

Roughly, free personal home care up to 5 visits a day. Your assets over c.£26k will all be used to pay for a care home, assets of between £16k-£26k you would need to make a contribution.

Assets excluding your home? Much like the situation as it stands in England, with a slightly higher allowance.
    No, including your home. The value of the house is disregarded for the first 12 weeks (so it can be sold) but then it will be counted towards your assets/care home charges. It's not included if a spouse or partner (or in some cases relatives) are still living in the house.
  • Options

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

What's the situation for social care in Scotland like ?

Roughly, free personal home care up to 5 visits a day. Your assets over c.£26k will all be used to pay for a care home, assets of between £16k-£26k you would need to make a contribution.

Assets excluding your home? Much like the situation as it stands in England, with a slightly higher allowance.
    No, including your home. The value of the house is disregarded for the first 12 weeks (so it can be sold) but then it will be counted towards your care home charges. It's not included if a spouse or partner (or in some cases relatives) are still living in the house.
    Oh okay, so that is sort of half way between the current and the new system. I think the Tory proposals covers all social care, not just care home?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Phew.

I total agree with you that that National insurance contribution should be abolished and rolled into to Income tax. I when yo think of the cost saving from administration alone that could be had it is bizarre not to.

However, who benefits, well rich people who do not work, if you have wone the lottery, or inherited a lot of money and life of the interest, then you don't pay NI as its not Pay, similarly if you are over 65 (or maybe 67 now?) you do not pay.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited May 2017
    ab195 said:

Thousands of words were written about the 2015 Election Campaign, how much better Labour's was, and how much more Cameron needed to get stuck in. We then saw the same in the referendum, but in both cases opinions span on a six pence the next morning.

We shall have to wait and see.

I think the thing is the people thought Lab would be getting 25% at best by now. That there hasn't been a collapse is highly unexpected.
  • Options

O/T PB Fantasy Footie

Poch out!

I had Lorente first sub with 8 points... Gabbiadini missed the first game but blinking was recalled to play in the second one and promptly missed a penalty so scored exactly 0 points for me over a supposed 2 games and bed-blocked out my 8 points on the bench...

Grrr...
    As I said, were it not for this week, I would have won the PB fantasy league.

Curses on Poch, Mourinho, and Conte.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Hmm.

A second similar incident in NYC. Really not terror?

https://twitter.com/pulpmarkets/status/865247005983027200

230 people (drivers and pedestrians) died in car accidents in NYC in 2016. So about 2/3rds of a person per day. Assuming normally distributed data
    ab195 said:

Thousands of words were written about the 2015 Election Campaign, how much better Labour's was, and how much more Cameron needed to get stuck in. We then saw the same in the referendum, but in both cases opinions span on a six pence the next morning.

We shall have to wait and see.

I think the thing is the people thought Lab would be getting 25% at best by now. That there hasn't been a collapse is highly unexpected.
    Suspect the number of times many others are injured is small.
  • Options
    I am expecting the final split will be:

Con 45, Lab 37, LD 7, UKIP 2, GRN 2
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Pulpstar said:

Phew.

Everyone should pay a Dementia Tax because everyone is equally likely to suffer from it. £5 a week throughout a 40-year working life would raise £10,400 per person plus investment growth. If you had a 5% risk of needing institutional care it would produce a fund of £208,000 plus growth. This would cover most people's needs, given their life expectancy at that age.

The problem with Mrs May's Dementia Tax is that the demented have to pay it while everyone else breathes a sigh of relief.
    But, is the risk just 5 % ? I think it is much higher (that is why solving the problem is so difficult).

http://crr.bc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/wp_2014-12.pdf

Admittedly from the US, but Table 2’s percentages suggest that the risk is much higher, and that your risk could easily be out by an order of a magnitude.

Incidentally, there is already a dementia tax. My mother had dementia for the last 3 years of her life, and she paid fees of 30k per year for residential care with specialist dementia treatment.

However, there were people at the same care home, whose fees were paid by the Council (presumably because their capital was < 23k).

Their fees (paid on their behalf by the Council) were much less.

So, effectively, if you pay care home fees, your fees are inflated because you are subsidising those whose fees are paid by the state.

In effect, a dementia tax -- but only paid by the richer who need dementia care.

Not the richer. Just the richer who are unlucky enough to need dementia care.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Phew.

No, instead NICs should only be allowed to pay for unemployment benefit, the state pension, the NHS and social care as it was originally intended to do and so we use NIC to pay for rising demand in those areas, not income tax
    Well that would be fine too. If it really is an insurance, call it that. But at the moment it isn't and hasn't been in very long time, if ever. So we may as well just call it income tax or better still abolish it and up the existing rate accordingly.
  • Options

O/T PB Fantasy Footie

Poch out!

Grrr...
    That's cheered me right up.
  • Options

This is a good point. Average house prices are nearly £500,000 in London and anywhere between about £240,000 and £310,000 in the rest of the Southern regions. However, this falls to more like £175,000 in the Midlands and between about £130,000 and £150,000 in the North and Wales. Those worst affected are also likely to be disproportionately concentrated in safe Conservative seats rather than marginals.

I'm still no longer so certain that "Down with the Dementia Tax, up with Free Ponies for All!" won't fly, though.
    I doubt the shires will be that concerned, May and Hammond are keeping Osborne's huge inheritance tax cut last April which meant they can now pass £1 million to their children without paying a penny on inheritance tax, they would have to need an awful lot of care in their own home to lose £900 000 in care payments and for the slightly less well off while they may be hit if they require personal care if they require residential care they will be better off as they can keep £100 000 of assets rather than just the £23 000 they could keep before
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited May 2017

bobajobPB said:

It now gives Labour an open door to talk about their pooled risk policy, which now looks like the easier path given the draconian nature of the Tory measure.

What 'pooled risk policy'? Or are you suggesting that they should rush out a new manifesto in response to the Conservatives' one?
    I believe he's referring to the one in which the 2% pay for the water to allow free swimming for all.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Phew.

Well that would be fine too. If it really is an insurance, call it that. But at the moment it isn't and hasn't been in very long time, if ever. So we may as well just call it income tax or better still abolish it and up the existing rate accordingly.
    I agree if we are going to call it an insurance it should be a proper insurance
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Which would be a rather embarassing result for the Blairites !
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    edited May 2017

ab195 said:

Pulpstar said:

Phew.

It could be made progressive at the top end though, to give the same effective marginal rate as people pay in the income range £50-100k, i.e. sometimes over 60%.

Some of the money could be used to give higher earners a steadily higher state pension. As happens in the US. Also didn't we have a system like this pre-Thatcher?
    That, and the points above, are ok correct. But it's emotive. Those on here are engaged enough to see NI for what it is but most think it is a fund and they have "paid in" (which is why they think it's fair that it tops out).

I reckon you'd have to hide in a bigger reform than a merger with Income Tax. Some sort of wealth tax/property tax/VAT reform.

Edit - basically call it a new settlement and make direct comparisons impossible other than by income quartile, and fudge those to broadly work out.
  • Options
    matt said:

bobajobPB said:

It now gives Labour an open door to talk about their pooled risk policy, which now looks like the easier path given the draconian nature of the Tory measure.

What 'pooled risk policy'? Or are you suggesting that they should rush out a new manifesto in response to the Conservatives' one?
    I believe he's referring to the one in which the 2% pay for the water to alloe free swimming for all.
    Did you see the cricket in Dublin ?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

O/T PB Fantasy Footie

Poch out!

I spent a long time wondering about whether Sanchez was going to be in my team and eventually made the wrong decision
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see where the UKIP voters are going now.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/manifesto2017/Manifesto2017.pdf

"A Conservative government will bring forward a Domestic Violence and Abuse Bill
    in the next parliament to consolidate all civil and criminal prevention and protection
    orders and provide for a new aggravated offence if behaviour is directed at a child. "

An end to smacking?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Surely to the Tories, in industrial container- loads ?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sucked Off Hugh, please.
    Lewd Hugh.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    On topic... Where would Labour be polling if they had the same manifesto but a more popular leader?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    surbiton said:

matt said:

bobajobPB said:

I believe he's referring to the one in which the 2% pay for the water to alloe free swimming for all.
    Did you see the cricket in Dublin ?
    Nope, ended up somewhere else on the day - shame as Clontarf CC is only 5 minutes walk. Mind you NZ won handily so just missed the drinking opportunities.
  • Options

surbiton said:

So, where are the votes to Labour coming from ? I did not know that the Greens started the campaign at 10%.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

On topic... Where would Labour be polling if they had the same manifesto but a more popular leader?

It's interesting, but also incredibly similar to the debate about Labour's policies polling so well but Miliband polling not well with the voters last time. The press will destroy whoever it is, except possibly someone like Dan Jarvis.
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Which would be a rather embarassing result for the Blairites !
    Yes. And no split.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    HYUFD said:

This is a good point. Average house prices are nearly £500,000 in London and anywhere between about £240,000 and £310,000 in the rest of the Southern regions. However, this falls to more like £175,000 in the Midlands and between about £130,000 and £150,000 in the North and Wales. Those worst affected are also likely to be disproportionately concentrated in safe Conservative seats rather than marginals.

I'm still no longer so certain that "Down with the Dementia Tax, up with Free Ponies for All!" won't fly, though.
    I doubt the shires will be that concerned, May and Hammond are keeping Osborne's huge inheritance tax cut last April which meant they can now pass £1 million to their children without paying a penny on inheritance tax, they would have to need an awful lot of care in their own home to lose £900 000 in care payments and for the slightly less well off while they may be hit if they require personal care if they require residential care they will be better off as they can keep £100 000 of assets rather than just the £23 000 they could keep before
    That sums it up very well. I have always accepted that both my wife and I may need care and to guarantee £100,000 is a big improvement on the £23,250.

And of course very many will not need care and the inheritance tax benefits of the conservative party policies are huge

For the politics what policy did labour and lib dems have in their manifesto on this very difficult subject.

• Options
    I hope Hugh Grant realises that half of those who still go and see his films are probably Rotarians?
  • Options
    It is 7pm now and no Trump crisis today ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I hope Hugh Grant realises that half of those who still go and see his films are probably Rotarians?
    Upset that Theresa May is not playing to hacked off tune. What a shame
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I'm sure at least a few of them aren't demented.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

So, where are the votes to Labour coming from ? I did not know that the Greens started the campaign at 10%.
    In the Mori poll quite obviously the Lib Dems. In reality the firming up is Lib Dem and a few of the labour kippers returning home and a squeeze on the Greens. Nothing from the Tories which is the key because they are so high.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Immigration controls by TM and Brexit will drive them to her in droves
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

HYUFD said:

Even if they are they'll recognise the type, and it will be someone else.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I've been looking at the tables behind this Ipsos Mori poll. The key drivers of the firming up in Labour's position appear to be (a) the sudden re-emergence of a very heavy class divide (Tories 2:1 up with ABC1s, Con & Lab level pegging amongst C2DEs, and a sudden and inexplicable jump in Labour support amongst older voters. (EDIT: compared with other recent surveys, notably the regular YouGov numbers which I usually like to read through as they come out.) Fretting about pensions and care can't explain the suggested level of support, put at anywhere from about 25-30%, amongst those aged 45+, given that details of the Conservative manifesto only began to become clear last night.

The real shockers, though, are in the geographical splits: Tory support higher in the Midlands than the South, and Labour support higher in the South (35%?!?!) than in the Midlands. Oh, and Labour is also shown as being well adrift amongst high earners, and holding a significant lead amongst university graduates at the same time.

I know that these sub-samples aren't terribly big, but all the same: the results stink to high heaven. Not very convincing at all.
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

In the Mori poll quite obviously the Lib Dems. In reality the firming up is Lib Dem and a few of the labour kippers returning home and a squeeze on the Greens. Nothing from the Tories which is the key because they are so high.
    Greens still on 3%. A second seat could be on in Brighton.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    Does the word "outlier" mean anything to you? :lol:
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Indeed, it is all about his hatred of the tabloids
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I wonder why that is
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Greens still on 3%. A second seat could be on in Brighton.
    Bristol. I think the Greens are still being squeezed a little, they are probably a % point down over the campaign and that's to Labour.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I would suggest that more than a few of the audience for his last film, Florence Foster Jenkins, were supporters of Theresa May and involved in their local Rotary Club, they will not take kindly to his calling May 'a demented little Rotarian'
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Yes. Tories on 49%. Maybe the last IPSOS poll was the outlier.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    surbiton said:

It is 7pm now and no Trump crisis today ?

He's supposed to be on a plane around now - to Saudi Arabia, where he's attending a forum on Islamic relations with America. What could possibly go wrong there?
    http://www.thenational.ae/opinion/editorial/a-sense-of-optimism-takes-hold-in-riyadh
  • Options
    Kerb crawlers for Corbyn ;)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I wonder why that is
    I am not going to excuse their hacking but he did give them more than a few reasons to be interested in his personal life
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Yes. Tories on 49%.
    But of course
  • Options

I've been looking at the tables behind this Ipsos Mori poll. The key drivers of the firming up in Labour's position appear to be (a) the sudden re-emergence of a very heavy class divide (Tories 2:1 up with ABC1s, Con & Lab level pegging amongst C2DEs, and a sudden and inexplicable jump in Labour support amongst older voters. (EDIT: compared with other recent surveys, notably the regular YouGov numbers which I usually like to read through as they come out.) Fretting about pensions and care can't explain the suggested level of support, put at anywhere from about 25-30%, amongst those aged 45+, given that details of the Conservative manifesto only began to become clear last night.

The real shockers, though, are in the geographical splits: Tory support higher in the Midlands than the South, and Labour support higher in the South (35%?!?!) than in the Midlands. Oh, and Labour is also shown as being well adrift amongst high earners, and holding a significant lead amongst university graduates at the same time.

I know that these sub-samples aren't terribly big, but all the same: the results stink to high heaven. Not very convincing at all.

"Fretting about pensions and care can't explain the suggested level of support, put at anywhere from about 25-30%, amongst those aged 45+"

Yes, it can ! And after the evening news bulletins, particularly, sky and ITV [ BBC is too Tory ], it will get worse.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Pulpstar said:

Tim Farron a 3 point answer on UK political leaders
    Corbyn 24 pts.

And 2 of those 3 think he's a pillock....
  • Options
    surbiton said:

"Fretting about pensions and care can't explain the suggested level of support, put at anywhere from about 25-30%, amongst those aged 45+"

Yes, it can ! And after the evening news bulletins, particularly, sky and ITV [ BBC is too Tory ], it will get worse.
    Not with Corbyn around and his IHT proposals
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I would suggest that more than a few of the audience for his last film, Florence Foster Jenkins, were supporters of Theresa May and involved in their local Rotary Club, they will not take kindly to his calling May 'a demented little Rotarian'
    If they got over their blue eyed boy getting arrested while receiving a blowy from a hooker, I'm sure they can swallow (gedddittt!!) this.
  • Options
    isam said:
    Bah! Prince Andy was a helicopter pilot during the Falklands War :)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Yes. Tories on 49%.
    Not a huge outlier based on recent polls.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    In Vancouver at present and cannot get ITV live. Have the debates started with only the minor players
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Yes. Tories on 49%. Maybe the last IPSOS poll was the outlier.
    A lot pf recent polls have had the Tories between 47 and 50.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That sums it up very well. I have always accepted that both my wife and I may need care and to guarantee £100,000 is a big improvement on the £23,250.

And of course very many will not need care and the inheritance tax benefits of the conservative party policies are huge

For the politics what policy did labour and lib dems have in their manifesto on this very difficult subject.

Well we know that Burnham floated a death tax when he was Shadow Health Secretary and both Labour and the LDs opposed Osborne's big inheritance tax cut last year and McDonnell has said Labour will reduce the amount Osborne enabled couples to pass down inheritance tax free
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If they got over their blue eyed boy getting arrested while receiving a blowy from a hooker, I'm sure they can swallow (gedddittt!!) this.
    He was not indirectly insulting them when he was getting oral sex
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Two conservatives elected as tough on immigration to defeat Ukip, but subsequently voted Remain, campaigning in Thurrock

https://twitter.com/kellytolhurst/status/865206990255120384
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017

I've been looking at the tables behind this Ipsos Mori poll.

Do you have a link to the tables please?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

I've been looking at the tables behind this Ipsos Mori poll.

Do you have a link to the tables please?
    https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/2017-05/pm-may-2017-tables.pdf
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Left wing Lib Dems, clearly, plus some Greens, SNP, UKIP, and former non-voters.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Cheers
  • Options

@ SeanT

Interesting. Hadn't thought of those.

@madasafish

Is his money very old or just astonishingly abundant?

There are people around now who are surely the richest people in history. Where will their money go? When will we see the world's first trillionaire?

It is me! If Zimbabwe Dollars count? I have a 100 trillion dollar banknote issued in 2008. That for the purist is 100000000000000.00.
  • Options
    LD -6 not -7

They were on 13 in the last MORI
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    After 2015 and 2016 one might a well consult the entrails of a chicken to find out what's going to happen in the election than give any poll much credence. Anyone's guess is about as meaningful.
This discussion has been closed.