Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The death of populism?

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Interesting panel base poll in Scotland - 18-21/04/17

In the UK and out of the EU - 48%

Independent and in the EU - 41%

Independent and out of the EU - 10%

Looks as if Scotland is very divided but surprised in the UK and out of the EU should top the poll

My only concern with that poll is that it contains essentially zero (maybe 1%, depends on rounding) for "in the UK, in the EU", which you would have thought has to be the view of a substantial minority of "No to Independence" voters, especially as that was one of the key messages/arguments from the "No to Independence" camp.
    'twas but a 3 option poll.
    So it can be completely ignored then.
    And hilariously still showed 'what is going to happen' as the most popular option...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    rcs1000 said:

Looks as if Scotland is very divided but surprised in the UK and out of the EU should top the poll

My only concern with that poll is that it contains essentially zero (maybe 1%, depends on rounding) for "in the UK, in the EU", which you would have thought has to be the view of a substantial minority of "No to Independence" voters, especially as that was one of the key messages/arguments from the "No to Independence" camp.
    Me for example. I guess they reckoned the UK and EU option was closed down. The reasons for supporting both unions are essentially the same.

I think the three question format is somewhat leading and likely exaggerates support for independence overall. It would be better to break it into two questions. Do you support independence? If so, do you want to be in the EU or out of it?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200
    edited April 2017
    It's that moment you've all been waiting for...

[drum-roll]

..this week's Sunil on Sunday ELBOW (Electoral LeaderBoard Of the Week)!

Average of Nine polls with fieldwork ending 24th to 30th April (inc. ORB):

Con 46.33 (+0.83)
    Lab 28.11 (+2.01)
    LibDem 10.22 (-0.18)
    UKIP 6.67 (-1.93)

Tory lead 18.22 (-1.18)

JICIPM?

(NB, last week's figures adjusted for a late, stray ORB from 20th Apr).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

Me for example. I guess they reckoned the UK and EU option was closed down. The reasons for supporting both unions are essentially the same.

I think the three question format is somewhat leading and likely exaggerates support for independence overall. It would be better to break it into two questions. Do you support independence? If so, do you want to be in the EU or out of it?
    The same poll finds opposition to independence runs at 52/43% when given a straight choice.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    glw said:

Sean_F said:

21) Extract moonbeams from cucumbers.

22) Discover unicorns

23) Find Eldorado

No kidding, that manifesto could be summarised as "the moon on a stick". I'd love to know how the hell Labour intends to pay for it.
    The "rich" gonna pay for it all....
  • Options
    Good post, Cyclefree.

The Conservative Party has become more populist, even if lead by a dull, dutiful, serious middle-aged woman with little on her CV . Doing so, it takes the wind out of the UKIP's sails.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited April 2017
    FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

The only fair question would be "should Scotland leave the United Kingdom and seek to join the European Union?" - because if Sturgeon wants to use Brexit as an excuse to hold Indyref2, that has to be the question on the ballot paper.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Freggles said:

The Freggles Manifesto

1. Keep the same levels of spending as the current Conservative plans for two years, with two exceptions: an emergency NHS cash injection over those two years, funded by freezing Corporation Tax and bringing forward the planned spend on lower Corporation Tax over the parliament into those two years. Secondly, using historically low borrowing costs to build affordable housing, using up to 2% of the Green Belt if needs be, and therefore cut the Housing Benefit bill.

2. Create a Health and Care Tax, and legally ring-fence it for the NHS, public health and Social Care, and establish an independent review body to recommend a level of funding that will gradually bring the NHS portion of the spend up to the EU average without reducing funding for social care. Reduce National Insurance so that this is revenue neutral in year 1. Develop plans to make all but a minimum level of social security spending contributory by the end of the following Parliament.

3. Council Tax to be replaced by a Land Value Tax of 1% of the value of homes and land over £75,000. Pensioners and people aged 55+ can choose to defer payment until the property changes hands.

4. In terms of Brexit, aim to negotiate a transitional deal with freedom of movement subject to an annual cap on numbers and only people with job offers being allowed to migrate.

5. End the Barnett formula and introduce a federal UK with only key functions such as defence, foreign policy and monetary policy remaining at the UK level.

6. Introduce regional top-up MPs as in Holyrood to make votes fairer

7. Appoint Boris Johnson as ambassador to Micronesia.

I would be fine with that. Vote Freggles! Winning here!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Pong said:

Meanwhile, on the election...

Labour have launched a 20-point plan which only has 18 points. https://twitter.com/wallaceme/status/858770135447998464

Please don't post fake news;

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/labour-20-point-plan-employment-workplace-policies/
    http://www.labour.org.uk/index.php/workers/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=JMcQuote

There are only 18 there.

I'll accept your apology for accusing me of lying.
    I wasn't accusing you of lying, I was accusing you of trolling.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Scott_P said:

@thorstenbenner: Juncker's visit to planet May: "#Brexit cannot be a success". FAZ inside story of disastrous London #Brexit dinner makes for great reading. pic.twitter.com/wBMSHCiSBW

Apparently May told Juncker that she thought Brexit was like protocol 36 of the Lisbon treaty which allowed for selective opt-ins on criminal justice matters, hence the shock and phone calls to Merkel.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

It's that moment you've all been waiting for...

[drum-roll]

..this week's Sunil on Sunday ELBOW (Electoral LeaderBoard Of the Week)!

Average of Nine polls with fieldwork ending 24th to 30th April (inc. ORB):

Con 46.33 (+0.83)
    Lab 28.11 (+2.01)
    LibDem 10.22 (-0.18)
    UKIP 6.67 (-1.93)

Tory lead 18.22 (-1.18)

JICIPM?

(NB, last week's figures adjusted for a late, stray ORB from 20th Apr).

At this rate, crossover will happen in July 2020. So that's why May called the election!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

Looks like 'The National' is collating the poll figures to say 51% support independence. Poor journalism
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

glw said:

Sean_F said:

22) Discover unicorns

23) Find Eldorado

No kidding, that manifesto could be summarised as "the moon on a stick". I'd love to know how the hell Labour intends to pay for it.
    The rich are going to run for the bloody hills if Corbyn gets in.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pong said:

Labour have launched a 20-point plan which only has 18 points. https://twitter.com/wallaceme/status/858770135447998464

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/labour-20-point-plan-employment-workplace-policies/
    http://www.labour.org.uk/index.php/workers/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=JMcQuote

There are only 18 there.

No, you accused me of "posting fake news", which means "lying".
  • Options

FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

Looks like 'The National' is collating the poll figures to say 51% support independence. Poor journalism
    I'm shocked,

SHOCKED.
  • Options

A fine piece Ms Cyclefree.

It is, to a point. She neglects the left wing populists like Melenchon, and our very own Jezza.

Populism is about simple solutions to complex problems, and tends to disintegrate in contact with reality. Trump is the most obvious example of this at the moment, with his 100 days of backtracking.
  • Options
    Glad to see the PBTory Private Fraser impersonations have stopped and we can all collectively laugh at the 18/20 points of Len McClusky's Christmas List...
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    glw said:

glw said:

Sean_F said:

22) Discover unicorns

23) Find Eldorado

The rich are going to run for the bloody hills if Corbyn gets in.
    You forget in Corbyn land we aren't just all Tories now, we are all rich.
  • Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642

Labour has its difficulties with its Leave supporters but Starmer is at least making an attempt to win them back and appeal to both camps.

The LDs have suffered an absolute meltdown of their 2015 supporters who voted leave. Out of a sample of 723 2015 LD voters , You Gov found 222 who voted LD in 2015 and then voted Leave. But those 222 LDs are more likely now to vote Conservative (26%) than LD (24%) with a further 26% DK. The significant Remain support the LDs are picking up has come at the expense of this group, such that the LDs net gain since their 2015 nadir is still quite limited and they are only just touching double figures in a wider political context when they should be doing far better.

I think Farron realises that, and is worried about the impact in particular on all those SW Leave-voting former LD seats, given these comments:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39761746

Ultimately like in Scotland the lib dems in England will become the party of remain and the tories the party of leave. I am a remain union Scottish Tory and I now see that I will have to switch my vote soon or later. Just no real party left that represents me despite my view being the most common one in Scotland. That is unionist remainer
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Freggles said:

The Freggles Manifesto

1. Keep the same levels of spending as the current Conservative plans for two years, with two exceptions: an emergency NHS cash injection over those two years, funded by freezing Corporation Tax and bringing forward the planned spend on lower Corporation Tax over the parliament into those two years. Secondly, using historically low borrowing costs to build affordable housing, using up to 2% of the Green Belt if needs be, and therefore cut the Housing Benefit bill.

2. Create a Health and Care Tax, and legally ring-fence it for the NHS, public health and Social Care, and establish an independent review body to recommend a level of funding that will gradually bring the NHS portion of the spend up to the EU average without reducing funding for social care. Reduce National Insurance so that this is revenue neutral in year 1. Develop plans to make all but a minimum level of social security spending contributory by the end of the following Parliament.

3. Council Tax to be replaced by a Land Value Tax of 1% of the value of homes and land over £75,000. Pensioners and people aged 55+ can choose to defer payment until the property changes hands.

4. In terms of Brexit, aim to negotiate a transitional deal with freedom of movement subject to an annual cap on numbers and only people with job offers being allowed to migrate.

5. End the Barnett formula and introduce a federal UK with only key functions such as defence, foreign policy and monetary policy remaining at the UK level.

Very good. :+1: Some practical stuff there - too often sadly lacking from the so-called "professional" politicians.
    I shall keep a more careful eye on your postings from now on.
  • Options
    1) - How to stop recruitment stone dead
    2) - Most people on ZHC like them
    3) - Bang goes any pretence Labour have of being Pro EU _ British Jobs for British Workers.
    4) - Cannot comment - except would need evidence for assertion.
    5) - Guarantee Union Zealots can intimidate workers.
    6) - Wouldn't make much difference - Employers would amend contracts.
    7) - Great Idea - encourage more firms to leave for Eastern Europe. help the EU. Excellent!
    8) - Thought wages were going up by 1% - other than high earners. Increased taxes.
    9) - Do we still have TUPE?
    10 - Laughable. What would happen is that a company would set up a subsidiary, with high earners being employed by the main company and 'on loan' or advisors to the subsidiary.
    11- This affects very few - (What happened to Apprentiships by the way)
    12 - Does this mean that all firms have to hire a trade union representative - to do SFA for 350 days a year?
    13 - The problem is: if something is free then people try it on.
    14 - Also on offer - hormone treatment so that male lactating occurs as well.
    15 - Already protected
    16 - I am sure I heard the word 'SCAB' a few times in the 1980s. Blaclisting goes both ways.
    17 - WTF are these? Non productive layabouts.
    18 - Will this extend to protection from secondary picketing????? - see 5.
    19 - Non-sequitur
    20 - Jobs for the boys - more beaurocracy - I am sure we have an Act of Parliament already.
  • Options
    Are trade unions even popular any more? Surely membership is dwindling?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Glad to see the PBTory Private Fraser impersonations have stopped and we can all collectively laugh at the 18/20 points of Len McClusky's Christmas List...

It is properly bonkers.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

As Brexit will have occurred before Scotland declares independence, IndyScotland would be outside the EU. I suspect agreeing accession criteria would be swift as Scotland would be compliant, so the Indy Scots could vote on the package.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954

But how can you be Independent and in the EU?

How can Scotland be independent if part of the EU??

Indepedent and in the EU is a non sequitur. They might as well have asked Indepedent and in the UK.

Echo chamber being echoey shock.
  • Options

Indepedent and in the EU is a non sequitur. They might as well have asked Indepedent and in the UK.

Scot Nat ignoring the same question three times shock.
  • Options

Labour has its difficulties with its Leave supporters but Starmer is at least making an attempt to win them back and appeal to both camps.

The LDs have suffered an absolute meltdown of their 2015 supporters who voted leave. Out of a sample of 723 2015 LD voters , You Gov found 222 who voted LD in 2015 and then voted Leave. But those 222 LDs are more likely now to vote Conservative (26%) than LD (24%) with a further 26% DK. The significant Remain support the LDs are picking up has come at the expense of this group, such that the LDs net gain since their 2015 nadir is still quite limited and they are only just touching double figures in a wider political context when they should be doing far better.

I think Farron realises that, and is worried about the impact in particular on all those SW Leave-voting former LD seats, given these comments:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39761746

Ultimately like in Scotland the lib dems in England will become the party of remain and the tories the party of leave. I am a remain union Scottish Tory and I now see that I will have to switch my vote soon or later. Just no real party left that represents me despite my view being the most common one in Scotland. That is unionist remainer
    I think we need to see how this works out. It could be resolved by negotiation and hopefully Theresa May will achieve a deal. As a former remain voter and an avid Scots Unionist I am hoping that we will be able to achieve a deal that supports the Scottish fishing industry
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

In certain sectors they are still very "popular". In things like health, care, everybody I know who works in that sector are UNISON members, not because they are necessarily big trade unionists as such, but because of insurance and support should a claim be made against.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

As a trade unionist I would be happy with most of it (my other half likes to be on a ZHC).

I think the right for unions to approach workers, and the right of representation would end some of the exploitative practices that we see. Unions being allowed to get on with their day job is a good thing.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Mortimer said:

Be fair, he might be one of the Illiterates Salmond was trying to ignore this morning
  • Options

FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

As Brexit will have occurred before Scotland declares independence, IndyScotland would be outside the EU. I suspect agreeing accession criteria would be swift as Scotland would be compliant, so the Indy Scots could vote on the package.
    I doubt that indy2 will happen before the 2021 Holyrood elections
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Freggles said:

The Freggles Manifesto

Could go for that, BUT Micronesia is an agreeable, peaceful location. Perhaps his talents would be better suited to South Sudan?
  • Options

1) - How to stop recruitment stone dead
    20 - Jobs for the boys - more beaurocracy - I am sure we have an Act of Parliament already.

One thing good though, any big business that thinks Brexit is the big problem on the horizon will be disabused of that notion when the see Corbyn's shopping list.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

As a trade unionist I would be happy with most of it (my other half likes to be on a ZHC).

I think the right for unions to approach workers, and the right of representation would end some of the exploitative practices that we see. Unions being allowed to get on with their day job is a good thing.
    Employers being allowed to get on with their day jobs not so much, though, right?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

Be fair, he might be one of the Illiterates Salmond was trying to ignore this morning
    I'm surprised that you're jumping on the 'UK wasn't independent in the EU' bandwagon.
    I suppose Tory Tribalism trumps everything.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Pong said:

Pong said:

There are only 18 there.

Why are you so keen to avoid the accusation of trolling when you're wearing it with pride?

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/08/31/the-big-lab-leadership-news-is-the-sun-report-that-corbyn-described-the-death-of-osama-bin-laden-as-a-tragedy/

The conversation between you and @isam is quite amusing, looking back.

Rightwingers with a moral compass, I can respect. But not you, YOU'RE A TROLL.
  • Options

I'm surprised your jumping on the 'UK wasn't independent in the EU' bandwagon.

Oh, so you are illiterate

See my previous post. Get someone to read it (and explain it ) to you
  • Options

Please enlighten us! How can Scotland be independent if part of the EU??
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Handbags on standby.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    glw said:

Sean_F said:

22) Discover unicorns

23) Find Eldorado

By waving a hand at big business and the rich and saying, "They have spare cash, they'll pay for everything."

It's bollocks, of course. Most of the individuals would be on the first plane to New York or Geneva. The businesses that could move would run away, the ones that couldn't would go bankrupt.

Also, this:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-27/u-k-s-top-1-of-earners-now-paying-a-quarter-of-all-income-tax

"The 1%" already pay 27.5% of the entire income tax take, whilst 44% of all adults pay none at all. And the income tax base has shrunk, and the proportion paid by the very wealthy has increased, under the current Government.

If you keep screwing money out of business and the rich then at some point your returns actually start to go down as they run away. Then you have to extort ever-increasing amounts of money out of a shrinking middle class to compensate. And then you get Venezuela.

God help us if this lot ever get a chance to implement their policies.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Mortimer said:

I remember my mate having to sneak into work because the pickets were being a bit handy.

Thanks but no thanks.
  • Options
    The translations circulating of the Junker article are extraordinary.

May has no idea what she is doing
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Nigelb said:

Line of Duty..... blimey.
    Bring on series 6.

Yes indeed. Could not recommend highly enough. Quality show.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Employers being allowed to get on with their day jobs not so much, though, right?
    Both employer and employee need representation and advice over terms and conditions.

Good Industrial relations are usually more about co-operation and resolution than conflict.

• Options
    edited April 2017

There's no party in Scotland and the UK that represents an internationalist outward looking liberalism. UKIP and the SNP don't, but neither do the Conservatives and Labour. The Lib Dems support the EU but have become somewhat parochial under Farron. Cameron, Osborne, Clegg and even to some extent Thatcher were the real liberal internationalist deal. But they and their like have been swept away.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

There are only 18 there.

Why are you so keen to avoid the accusation of trolling when you're wearing it with pride?

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/08/31/the-big-lab-leadership-news-is-the-sun-report-that-corbyn-described-the-death-of-osama-bin-laden-as-a-tragedy/

I'm not a right-winger (my last two parliamentary votes were Lib Dem and Labour), and what on earth are you talking about? I'm flattered that you remember a conversation from nearly two years ago, but it's not significant here.

Labour posted a 20 point plan with 18 points on their website, and I reported that. This was truthful, yet you accused me of lying.

Please retract.
  • Options
    @faisalislam: This thread is an English account of the German language takes on May-Juncker dinner... https://twitter.com/judithmknott/status/858787697040785418
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Assuming that any of it is actually accurate.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

It's not an echo chamber when plenty of people disagree, vigorously and frequently, questioning the echoes and putting forth alternate opinion. What you have identified is some people sharing an opinion, I don't know that that is shocking enough to get on a patronising high horse about - could someone find a quote of yours and then find 2 other ones that agree? My gods, an echo chamber has developed!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

This article looks very prescient now. May thinks she can negotiate like she did as Home Secretary over criminal justice measures.

https://medium.com/@stewartwood6887/theresa-mays-mistaken-precedent-for-a-brexit-based-on-cherry-picking-1e2e6a3b9985
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Or so Juncker wants you to think.

I'm surprised he remembers anything after a dinner, though.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

glw said:

Sean_F said:

22) Discover unicorns

23) Find Eldorado

By waving a hand at big business and the rich and saying, "They have spare cash, they'll pay for everything."

It's bollocks, of course. Most of the individuals would be on the first plane to New York or Geneva. The businesses that could move would run away, the ones that couldn't would go bankrupt.

Also, this:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-27/u-k-s-top-1-of-earners-now-paying-a-quarter-of-all-income-tax

"The 1%" already pay 27.5% of the entire income tax take, whilst 44% of all adults pay none at all. And the income tax base has shrunk, and the proportion paid by the very wealthy has increased, under the current Government.

If you keep screwing money out of business and the rich then at some point your returns actually start to go down as they run away. Then you have to extort ever-increasing amounts of money out of a shrinking middle class to compensate. And then you get Venezuela.

God help us if this lot ever get a chance to implement their policies.
    Thank you BlackrRook,

I was going to post somthng simmiler in reply, but you have done it, and worded better than I could.

it is worth noting that the amount and proportion of tax pain by the top 1% went up when the rate was cut from 50% to 45% and while it is impossible to calculate in advance it is most likely that an additional cut would boost the tax paid by the rich even more, with the optimal rate for revenues maximization probably about 37.5%

• Options

Scott_P said:

Assuming that any of it is actually accurate.
    If it's accurate it's amazing we stayed in so long: we're simply too different.
  • Options
    May appears to be approaching Brexit in the same way Trump approached the Presidency

We are going to build a wall, and Mexico will pay for it

We will not pay an exit bill

We will repeal and replace Obamacare

We will get access to the single market without freedom of movement

And she is not going to be as successful...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I'm surprised your jumping on the 'UK wasn't independent in the EU' bandwagon.

Oh, so you are illiterate

See my previous post. Get someone to read it (and explain it ) to you
    Perhaps you could get off your fat arse and deign to point out which of your many, many effusions is this pearl of literacy.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

May appears to be approaching Brexit in the same way Trump approached the Presidency

We'll get a FTA. Even the EU's own trade commissioner says so!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    Scott_P said:

Fuck Juncker, then. Clean break it is.

I'd rather lick piss off the ground that kowtow to that toerag.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Except Tezz is still pushing "no deal"
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Pong said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

There are only 18 there.

I'm not a right-winger (my last two parliamentary votes were Lib Dem and Labour), and what on earth are you talking about? I'm flattered that you remember a conversation from nearly two years ago, but it's not significant here.

Labour posted a 20 point plan with 18 points on their website, and I reported that. This was truthful, yet you accused me of lying.

Please retract.
    Seriously, I'M NOT ACCUSING YOU OF LYING.

I may have accused you of being a right winger - which - if you self identify as something else, well, then I withdraw that allegation.

I'M ACCUSING YOU OF TROLLING.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

Is she? I thought the mantra was no deal better than a bad deal.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I don't know why everyone has leapt on that comment. She clearly said it would be after Brexit, so no different to the line from the EU since the beginning. She won't be given the authority to negotiate a trade deal with the UK before Brexit happens.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    kle4 said:

It's not an echo chamber when plenty of people disagree, vigorously and frequently, questioning the echoes and putting forth alternate opinion. What you have identified is some people sharing an opinion, I don't know that that is shocking enough to get on a patronising high horse about - could someone find a quote of yours and then find 2 other ones that agree? My gods, an echo chamber has developed!
    You don't think it's amusing that three people made an almost identical (& crushingly banal) point within minutes of each other?

In any case, you seem to have got a bit over excited if you think that's me getting so shocked that I'm getting on my 'patronising high horse'. I can do a lot better than that.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

There are only 18 there.

Please retract.
    Seriously, I'M NOT ACCUSING YOU OF LYING

I may have accused you of being a right winger - which - if you self identify as something else, well, then I withdraw that allegation.

You did accuse me of lying: you accused me of "posting fake news". I posted true news.

Please withdraw the accusation of "posting fake news".
  • Options
    @Pong OR DO I HAVE TO SHOUT AT YOU RUDELY IN BOLD CAPITALS TO GET THROUGH TO YOU BECAUSE YOU SEEM TO THINK THAT'S APPROPRIATE BEHAVIOUR?

Jesus wept.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Pong said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

There are only 18 there.

Please retract.
    Seriously, I'M NOT ACCUSING YOU OF LYING.

I CONFESS TO BEING A TROLL.
    :innocent:
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

RobD said:

Is she? I thought the mantra was no deal better than a bad deal.
    No deal is better than a bad deal - 46%
    Bad deal is better than no deal - 22%

Todays you gov
  • Options
    @Pong If I was trolling, who was I trolling?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Pong said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

There are only 18 there.

Please retract.

You did accuse me of lying: you accused me of "posting fake news". I posted true news.

Looks like fake news to me.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Scott_P said:

Fuck Juncker, then. Clean break it is.

I'd rather lick piss off the ground that kowtow to that toerag.
    Very Royale
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

There are only 18 there.

Please retract.

Looks like fake news to me.
    Go on, count them: http://www.labour.org.uk/index.php/workers/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=JMcQuote

(Hint: there are 18.)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: This thread is an English account of the German language takes on May-Juncker dinner... https://twitter.com/judithmknott/status/858787697040785418

The most incredible - and stupid - comment was David Davis assertion that as we would be out of the ECJ nothing we committed to would be enforceable.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    https://twitter.com/HughSykes/status/858790155632750592

Now this, apparently, is a translation of part of the German article on what supposedly happened in the May-Juncker meeting at Downing St.

The first thing that strikes me as odd is the suggestion that the Prime Minister said she didn't want to pay any money in respect of UK liabilities. Insofar as I am aware, she has never suggested that Britain owes the EU nothing. I've actually just been watching a clip of May on the Andrew Marr Show this morning; she said that she knows the EU wants to talk about money; what she didn't do is take the opportunity to say "but they're wrong." I fully expect that, if the EU and UK can come to a reasonable agreement, it will involve the UK agreeing to pay its fair share of accumulated obligations, and the EU agreeing to hand over its fair share of accumulated assets (or monetary compensation, in the case of fixed assets like buildings.) Next.

May apparently re-iterated the view that Brexit would be a success. Brussels, apparently, believes that this cannot be the case because the UK cannot be better off as a third party rather than an EU member. This doesn't suggest that May has asked for a relationship with the EU that is identical to the current one, but from which all the things we find objectionable have been removed - rather, it reflects a fundamental difference of opinion in terms of the value of the European Union itself. The UK Government believes it can do perfectly well without the EU; the EU believes this to be impossible. Next.

May wants a swift deal on the status of EU nationals, but the EU thinks that this is impossible because it wants its citizens in the UK to continue to have all sorts of (unspecified) additional rights after the UK has left the EU. I'm not completely sure what's going on here, but I'm taking it to assume that the European Union wants to guarantee the right of EU nationals to continue to live, in effect, under the jurisdiction of EU law (with respect, presumably, to issues such as employment rights) after the UK has left the EU itself. Whereas the UK Government most likely just wants to give everybody who was here up until a certain date (either the date of the referendum or the date we leave) the right to continue to stay for as long as they like. If this is anything like the case then it would be the EU not the UK that would be acting delusionally: no sovereign state can be expected to allow most of the people on its territory to be subject to its laws, but a substantial group to live under somebody else's. It would be rather like giving several million people a weird form of partial diplomatic immunity. It would be crackers.

Of course, its entirely possible that these reports are based on garbled information or are straightforwardly false. The truth will out in the weeks after the election, when the Government can get on with the start of negotiations. We don't have too long to wait to find out.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Scott_P said:

Actually, I take great comfort from that report. Clearly, May is not going to cave on our negotiating points just because Druncker tells her to.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

The most incredible - and stupid - comment was David Davis assertion that as we would be out of the ECJ nothing we committed to would be enforceable.
    Sorry, once we are out of the EU the rule of the ECJ will cease. That is one of the things May has been consistent on. So if we have EU citizens here, their rights will be guaranteed by our laws and our courts. It isn't complicated.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

Wow. It gets worse
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    MTimT said:

Scott_P said:

Actually, I take great comfort from that report. Clearly, May is not going to cave on our negotiating points just because Druncker tells her to.
    What it actually shows she is clearly out of her depth when it comes to negotiating a sensible exit from the EU.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    edited April 2017
    MTimT said:

Scott_P said:

It is simple - all EU citizens living here stay as UK citizens subject to UK laws. The EU have lost their senses if they think the ECJ will have any rule in this matter

Just another example of the EU not thinking it through
  • Options
    Ally_B said:

MTimT said:

Scott_P said:

What it actually shows she is clearly out of her depth when it comes to negotiating a sensible exit from the EU.
    The charitable interpretation is that she's playing dumb just to see what happens.
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

Wow. It gets worse
    In fact that is true - which court could hold jurisdiction over the UK
  • Options

Ally_B said:

MTimT said:

Scott_P said:

The charitable interpretation is that she's playing dumb just to see what happens.
    What it does show is she is not rolling over at the command of the EU and it will just add to her popularity even more
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    I had lunch with a Scotsman, he believes that independent Scotland will have no trouble in joining the EU, as the EU will compell England to continue the Barnett payments... I just nodded.
  • Options
    PAW said:

I had lunch with a Scotsman, he believes that independent Scotland will have no trouble in joining the EU, as the EU will compell England to continue the Barnett payments... I just nodded.

You couldn't make it up
  • Options
    walterwwalterw Posts: 71
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: This thread is an English account of the German language takes on May-Juncker dinner...

Do you believe everything you read on twitter ?
  • Options

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

Sorry, once we are out of the EU the rule of the ECJ will cease. That is one of the things May has been consistent on. So if we have EU citizens here, their rights will be guaranteed by our laws and our courts. It isn't complicated.
    Formally that might* be correct. But think of the implication of Davis' remark: we don't intend to negotiate in good faith. How can we get a good deal or be trusted on anything on that basis?

* That's Mrs May's intention, but it might not be immediate or total. We'll see.
  • Options
    PAW said:

No TRUE scotsman would beleive that.

FWIW I think the EU are out of their depth here - they have never had to negotiate a position where they weren't holding the whip hand and it was obvious to all how that lay. Now they are facing a determined opponent. They are probably looking for a safe space.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

Formally that might* be correct. But think of the implication of Davis' remark: we don't intend to negotiate in good faith. How can we get a good deal or be trusted on anything on that basis?

* That's Mrs May's intention, but it might not be immediate or total. We'll see.
    How can we trust the EU to negotiate unless we take as hard a line as they take with us. This will be a battle but in the end a fudge will happen and a deal struck.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Ukip's 'rampant rabbi': Candidate in sex role-play scandal with woman he met on bondage site won't even shake female rivals' hands 'on religious grounds'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4459182/Sex-role-play-shame-Ukip-s-rampant-rabbi.html
  • Options

Ukip's 'rampant rabbi': Candidate in sex role-play scandal with woman he met on bondage site won't even shake female rivals' hands 'on religious grounds'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4459182/Sex-role-play-shame-Ukip-s-rampant-rabbi.html

To be fair - he probably didn't shake the woman's hands during the sex role-play.
  • Options
    PAW said:

Oh my days. Was he smoking a crack pipe at the time?
  • Options
    walterwwalterw Posts: 71
    'FWIW I think the EU are out of their depth here - they have never had to negotiate a position where they weren't holding the whip hand and it was obvious to all how that lay. Now they are facing a determined opponent. They are probably looking for a safe space.'

Problem is people don't know whether the contradictory statements from Junker are made when he's pissed or sober.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

I didn't see the "agreement couldn't be enforced" in any translation. What is clear is that the ECJ can't have jurisdiction, and if we break a treaty commitment so can they (and vice versa)
  • Options
    walterw said:

'FWIW I think the EU are out of their depth here - they have never had to negotiate a position where they weren't holding the whip hand and it was obvious to all how that lay. Now they are facing a determined opponent. They are probably looking for a safe space.'

Problem is people don't know whether the contradictory statements from Junker are made when he's pissed or sober.

There is always that.
  • Options

Well this is awkward, I consider Shneur a good friend.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

I didn't see the "agreement couldn't be enforced" in any translation. What is clear is that the ECJ can't have jurisdiction, and if we break a treaty commitment so can they (and vice versa)
    It's there in the FAZ text. Davis says that the EU couldn't enforce its demands once we were no longer under ECJ jurisdiction:

Brexit-Minister Davis wandte ein, dass die EU ihre Forderungen ja gar nicht durchsetzen koenne, wenn London ausgeschieden sei und nicht mehr dem Europaeischen Gerichtshof unterliege.
  • Options

You'll be fine. Just run if he gets a whip out...
  • Options

Ukip's 'rampant rabbi':

Whatever the facts, that's an awesome nickname.
  • Options
    PAW said:

Was that his spelling of 'compell' or yours?
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

It's there in the FAZ text. Davis says that the EU couldn't enforce its demands once we were no longer under ECJ jurisdiction:

Brexit-Minister Davis wandte ein, dass die EU ihre Forderungen ja gar nicht durchsetzen koenne, wenn London ausgeschieden sei und nicht mehr dem Europaeischen Gerichtshof unterliege.
    Google says:

Brexit minister Davis argued that the EU could not enforce its demands when London had left and was no longer subject to the European Court of Justice

Which is perfectly correct. It can't. EU citizens in the UK will be subject to UK law and UK courts and no other. The reverse is also the case.

The writ of the EU and ECJ will stop at the Southern Irish border and the channel. It isn't either complicated or controversial.
  • Options

You'll be fine. Just run if he gets a whip out...
    Well he does have my mobile number.

Out of all the people in my contacts list, he was the last person I'd expect this from.

If you think I have probably have 30 or so gay friends on my contacts list, poor Tim Farron's going to be so confused.
  • Options

Ukip's 'rampant rabbi':

Whatever the facts, that's an awesome nickname.
    I'm not looking forward to the headlines on Friday.

Shneur's standing as UKIP's candidate in the Manchester Mayoral election.

I wasn't expecting him to do well in Remain friendly Manchester.

UKIP candidate spanked in the polls, that sort of stuff.
This discussion has been closed.