Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The death of populism?

SystemSystem Posts: 12,032
edited April 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The death of populism?

As the outcome of round 1 of France’s Presidential election became clear, the relief in the rest of Europe was palpable.  The French were not going to follow the perfidious British and vulgar Americans and vote in as their leader a populist promising to epater the European bourgeoisie.  Europe was safe.  Populism would remain a miserable Anglo-Saxon affair and much good would it do them.

Read the full story here

Comments

• OUTOUT Posts: 569
    last
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    OUT said:

last

But the last shall be first
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Third like Labour in Scotland!
  • ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Good as ever from Cyclefree, although we haven't elected a populist as leader.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,541
    Fourth!
    RobD said:

Fourth!

I'm afraid not. My first-actually-on-topic reply Britvic'd you... :)
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914
    Yes, the triumphant rout of populism may need to be tempered somewhat given the scale of Le Pen's showing, even if she should be soundly beaten. As you say, genuine concerns can get ignored because of who is currently propounding them.

Good luck to Macron.
    edited April 2017

How can you even jest about 'baby eating' - some may but I expected more from you to be honest

Toms said:
    Well done!
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    kle4 said:

Yes, the triumphant rout of populism may need to be tempered somewhat given the scale of Le Pen's showing, even if she should be soundly beaten. As you say, genuine concerns can get ignored because of who is currently propounding them.

Good luck to Macron.

Though it does seem that the EU is more popular than in a decade:

https://twitter.com/GuyVerhofstadt/status/858241310343528448
  • I think May and Macron will get on well. After all she did invite him to No 10

Mind you Le Pen on 40% or near is not a good sign that French politics will be in harmony anytime soon

kle4 said:

Good luck to Macron.

The Brexit effect? We haven't even left yet ;)
  • frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    I can't help thinking that the term "populist" is applied to popular policies of which we disapprove.

kle4 said:

Good luck to Macron.

A slight uptick now is not particularly surprising, given other uncertainties, but it generally looks stable with minority numbers apathetic or against. It's not revolution territory by any means, but as expressions of dissatisfaction generally, not necessarily at the EU, go, Le Pen getting 35-40 is still not nothing.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,504
    Second
  • kle4 said:

How can you even jest about 'baby eating' - some may but I expected more from you to be honest

Toms said:
    Well done!
    My wife and I have had our 5 and 3 year old grandchildren with us today and the comment seemed so unacceptable in view if the joyous day we have just had with them
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Good luck to Macron.

The Brexit effect? We haven't even left yet ;)
    Cannot be right - Tusk already misses us.
  • FPT

Been out for a bit and returned to find Le Pen's price had taken a bit of a walk - out to 9.0 now. Can't find evidence of a poll. What have I missed?

I can't help thinking that the term "populist" is applied to popular policies of which we disapprove.

Yes, absolutely. "Populist" means "popular but wrong".

kle4 said:

Toms said:
    Well done!
    My wife and I have had our 5 and 3 year old grandchildren with us today and the comment seemed so unacceptable in view if the joyous day we have just had with them
    I'm glad you've had such a wonderful day with your loved ones, and you don't have to defend why you think certain humour is unacceptable, but absurdist and dark humour is not exactly unprecedented, it is precisely because it cannot be taken for serious that it would be more acceptable than a less visceral but more realistic seeming joke.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,143
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Good luck to Macron.

A slight uptick now is not particularly surprising, given other uncertainties, but it generally looks stable with minority numbers apathetic or against. It's not revolution territory by any means, but as expressions of dissatisfaction generally, not necessarily at the EU, go, Le Pen getting 35-40 is still not nothing.
    A little while ago, an FN candidate couldn't get anywhere in a French Presidential election. Everything is fine.
    A little later, an FN candidate couldn't get to the second round in a French Presidential election. Everything is fine.
    A little later still, an FN candidate couldn't a big vote in the second round. Everything is fine.
    A little later yet, an FN candidate will only get 35-40% in the second round. Everything is fine.

Why worry?
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

FPT

Been out for a bit and returned to find Le Pen's price had taken a bit of a walk - out to 9.0 now. Can't find evidence of a poll. What have I missed?

Nothing. Still 59-41. Madame fascist heading for defeat. Ex-communists voting for her.
  • DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Excellent article, Ms Cyclefree! Very entertaining and thought-provoking. :smile:
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526
    kle4 said:

Good luck to Macron.

There is one short-term factor which would fully justify some triumphalism if Macron wins: the defeat of Putin's candidate.

The Kremlin's attempts to subvert western politics through persistent propaganda designed to undermine faith in the system are extremely pernicious and need to be countered.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,915
    That's a very interesting article, @Cyclefree, thank you. I hope your recovery continues apace.
  • JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Populist is used as a term of denegration by the media and the liberal chattering classes. Nobody was more popular than Blair and Obama - at least to start with - but they were never described as populist. Trump and Le Pen are the epitome of populism for the Left. Corbyn is a far left populist - thankfully in a country that does not do extremes.
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Toms said:
    Well done!
    I'm glad you've had such a wonderful day with your loved ones, and you don't have to defend why you think certain humour is unacceptable, but absurdist and dark humour is not exactly unprecedented, it is precisely because it cannot be taken for serious that it would be more acceptable than a less visceral but more realistic seeming joke.
    Yes, fair point but I have great respect for Foxinsocsuk and was just surprised about his comments.
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Toms said:
    Well done!
    Yes, fair point but I have great respect for Foxinsocsuk and was just surprised about his comments.
    I thought nothing of it - someone went truanting from school when they taught satire.
  • I can't help thinking that the term "populist" is applied to popular policies of which we disapprove.

No - "Populist" means "Popular but the BBC/ left thinks it is wrong."
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,468
    Populism is I presume Democracy without checking the results?

Democracy is a sufficiently messed up system that you really don't want to make it worse.

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Good luck to Macron.

A little while ago, an FN candidate couldn't get anywhere in a French Presidential election. Everything is fine.
    A little later, an FN candidate couldn't get to the second round in a French Presidential election. Everything is fine.
    A little later still, an FN candidate couldn't a big vote in the second round. Everything is fine.
    A little later yet, an FN candidate will only get 35-40% in the second round. Everything is fine.

Why worry?
    It is first past the post and 5 years to the next election. By then French politics will have moved on.

She will be Billie No Mates, like Nigel Farage. It takes a heart of stone...

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4459358/Farage-given-thumbs-White-House.html
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @faisalislam: 51% those polled by @Yougov /ST say Britain should stay Single Market member. 26% say not. Not on offer from main parties rep 75% of votes pic.twitter.com/AHOrz117J5

@faisalislam: ...real shocker though - the Customs Union is even more popular. 57% of British voters say yes to staying in, 17% against, say @yougov / ST pic.twitter.com/8ungew948T

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Good luck to Macron.

Why worry?
    It is first past the post and 5 years to the next election. By then French politics will have moved on.

She will be Billie No Mates, like Nigel Farage. It takes a heart of stone...

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4459358/Farage-given-thumbs-White-House.html
    She will be Billie No Mates. Just as her father is now an outcast in the movement he built.

Then the next one comes along.... And will build on that 35-40%

Unless the underlying issues are dealt with.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,871
    edited April 2017
    Good article, though of course Hillary won the popular vote like Macron, it was the US electoral college system which carried Trump over the line. 40% for Le Pen in the runoff will also still be the highest total ever achieved by a FN candidate in a presidential election and even if she does not win it will hardly be the death of populism.

In any case I think this year the establishment gets a reprieve mainly because the populists, Wilders, Le Pen and the AfD are too associated with the far right to win. Next year when Italy goes to the polls in May they will have a far greater challenge because the Eurosceptic 5*, who currently lead Italian polls, has more in common with Vote Leave, the official Brexit campaign group, than it does with the far right and thus may actually win power

Populism is also not only of the right but of the left too and Europe has already elected one populist leftwing government in Greece, Syriza, Podemos is still a force in Spain and Melenchon got almost 20% in France. In the US Sanders almost became the Democratic nominee and in the UK Corbyn now leads the main opposition party
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,525

Used by people who are too stupid to understand, or too mendacious to acknowledge that what is popular is more often than not also what is right.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,648
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: 51% those polled by @Yougov /ST say Britain should stay Single Market member. 26% say not. Not on offer from main parties rep 75% of votes pic.twitter.com/AHOrz117J5

@faisalislam: ...real shocker though - the Customs Union is even more popular. 57% of British voters say yes to staying in, 17% against, say @yougov / ST pic.twitter.com/8ungew948T

Don't know why any of this is surprising, most of us quite liked the economic aspects of the EU, the way it removed barriers to free trade and benefited the economy.

It was the political baggage that came with it and the whole project of being consumed by a completely undemocratic superstate we rebelled against.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,726

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Good luck to Macron.

Why worry?
    The vote for the centre fell from 67% in 2012, to 48% now.
  • Very good article as usual, Cyclefree.

One factor you may not have considered is whether Le Pen's distancing from the FN is due to possible financial difficulties of the latter. I don't know if there is any truth in this. I picked it up in conversations with some French friends who are pretty politically alert, but of course that doesn't necessarily make them right.

There is of course the inquiry into FN election expenses, which may be linked, if indeed there is any substance in either.

I'll get back to you when I've done a little research, and some thinking.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,845
    Scott_P said:

Did YouGov give the option of retaining access to the single market without membership?

Ask a different question, get different results.
    SeanT said:

lol. I just posted an absurdly long offtopic comment about my eating experiences in the Loire.

I accept it was entirely irrelevant (maybe) and probably quite annoying, but did it deserve to be removed altogether?

Also it gave quite good advice about where to eat in NANTES

I enjoyed your article in the Sunday Times today.

Strangely it had Jeremy Clarkson's byline on it though
    Scott_P said:

The problem is that soft Brexit is not on offer. As Tusk said in October, it is hard Brexit or no Brexit. This has been the EU position since last July, and since A50 was served it has become Hard Brexit by timetable.

On the whole it would be far better to start planning for it, rather than chasing mirages.

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Toms said:
    Well done!
    I thought nothing of it - someone went truanting from school when they taught satire.
    I still remember an Irish Republican who was really quite convinced that Swift wasn't making a satirical suggestion - he really meant it.
  • PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 662
    @SeanT - You can try posting it again. As far as I can tell it wasn't moderated.

On the whole it would be far better to start planning for it, rather than chasing mirages.

Robert Peston asked that question this morning. Why are we not already recruiting thousands of customs officers, and concreting over Kent?

Total denial from the PM
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,299
    Isle of Wight, Brighton Pavilion, part of a Green and pleasant land in which Labour won't flourish.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/30/labour-figures-call-for-candidates-to-step-aside-for-greens-in-two-seats

SeanT said:

lol. I just posted an absurdly long offtopic comment about my eating experiences in the Loire.

I accept it was entirely irrelevant (maybe) and probably quite annoying, but did it deserve to be removed altogether?

It's a vanilla glitch.
    SeanT said:

Weirdly on topic (nice threader, cyclefree), I promised to bring back a culinary report from my visit to the Loire, in our special ongoing series of Smug, Pretentious, Horribly Entitled PB posts about Food, Wine and Business Class Airline Service.

So here's my Loire lowdown. INSERT TRIGGER WARNING FOR POOR PEOPLE HERE

I ate, courtesy of the French taxpayer, in four Michelin one-star restaurants, and three much more humble brasseries, bistros (and one other place, which I will come to)

Of the Michelin star restos, two were jolly good (each had a couple of outstanding dishes) without being truly world class, one was nice, one was significantly disappointing: again it was where a French chef tried to innovate, and fucked up badly, Turbot with couscous and whatnot, ugh, horrible, just do turbot the way the French always do it - mash, steamed veg, tarragony bearnaise, why try to improve on the perfect? (he did great puds, tho)

This is what I would expect from Michelin star restos in the UK, but UK restos innovate better. The entire experience is definitely superior in parts of Spain and Italy.

The humble establishments did some nice things, like a lovely soft quiche: they were as good as decent gastropubs in the UK. No less, no more.

So all that tells me my hunch is maybe right, French cuisine is not crap now, the main thing is that everyone else has caught up - so it no longer stands out. And innovation is difficult (cf the turbot): they are weighed down by a grand tradition.

Also, breakfasts were universally shit and dreadful, as always. This used to be OK in France because you knew the food you'd get later would be uniquely good. Now a 4 star French hotel charging €20 for a couple of croissants and some overly drippy jam is just insulting.

HOWEVER my very last day brought me one of the top 20 meals of my life.

La Cigale, Nantes. A very famous, beautiful, 19th century brasserie, once frequented by Andre Breton. In Paris or Nice the chances are this would now serve lazy, hugely overpriced food.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Cigale_(brasserie)

I had a dozen tremendous oysters (some of the best in the world, and I've eaten oysters in Luderitz Namibia), then a tranche of superb foie gras with a slice of gingerbread and a strawberry pickle tartare, fleur de sel Guerande, and coarse pepper: a French classic with tiny brilliant twists. And all of it accompanied by a brilliant white Burgundy. It was sublime. it cost me €130 for 1, but I will remember it forever.

So the French can still do it. Occasionally, occasionally.

SeanT said:

Hard Brexit is still preferable to No Brexit

It really isn't
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,138
    Jason said:

Populist is used as a term of denegration by the media and the liberal chattering classes. Nobody was more popular than Blair and Obama - at least to start with - but they were never described as populist. Trump and Le Pen are the epitome of populism for the Left. Corbyn is a far left populist - thankfully in a country that does not do extremes.
    Populist is a term of abuse except when it's your idol - then it becomes democracy.
    Jason said:

Note also the popularity of Chavism (see Venezuela) among the Corbynite types. Chavism basically being re-badged Peronism (with an extra topping of left wing rhetoric).....
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    Is it too late for Miliband, D. to stand?
    edited April 2017
    @kle4

Oh dear, there are now three copies of each thread on vanilla? Now, where has my Iraq information minister pic gone...
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:

Robert Peston asked that question this morning. Why are we not already recruiting thousands of customs officers, and concreting over Kent?

Total denial from the PM
    Having wasted 2 months on a needless snap election we are still not making any preparations. Customs in particular need heavy recruitment, and Farmers need to find other markets.
  • surbiton said:

FPT

Nothing. Still 59-41. Madame fascist heading for defeat. Ex-communists voting for her.
    Presumably then the movement is due to the clock running down? As each day passes, the chances of eroding a 20 point deficit lessen.
    SeanT said:

it cost me €130 for 1

You paid for it?
    edited April 2017

Scott_P said:

The problem is that soft Brexit is not on offer. As Tusk said in October, it is hard Brexit or no Brexit. This has been the EU position since last July, and since A50 was served it has become Hard Brexit by timetable.

Overall I agree. It's also contradictory. I mean what happens to support for the single market when FOM is highlighted as a requirement. This is why the polling is often as misleading as the rest of the politics - no wonder most voters simply say f**K it and get it done.

Edit> I see the question does mention the 4 freedoms but I know there has been a lot of polling which suggests strong support for ending FOM.
    felix said:

Scott_P said:

Overall I agree. It's also contradictory. I mean what happens to support for the single market when FOM is highlighted as a requirement. This is why the polling is often as misleading as the rest of the politics - no wonder most voters simply say f**K it and get it done.
    Freedom of movement was highlighted in this question in the Yougov poll.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/858761130709327872
    felix said:

Overall I agree. It's also contradictory. I mean what happens to support for the single market when FOM is highlighted as a requirement.

The question does explain that the single market means 'free movement of goods, services, money and people between member states'. Although obviously the concept of being a member state without being a member state is problematic...
    @BrianSpanner1: Nicola Sturgeon shows Theresa May how to connect with the people.

https://twitter.com/brianspanner1/status/858651399747448835
    Scott_P said:

Ask about controlling borders too and 44% say the single market is the priority and 42% controlling borders and controlling immigration is ahead in the marginal filled North and Midlands
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-poll-londoners-are-biggest-champions-of-single-market-as-immigration-issue-splits-country-a3444441.html
  • Scott_P said:

Did YouGov give the option of retaining access to the single market without membership?

The public are not sophisticated enough to know the difference between member and access to and if the question had been qualified that membership equates with unlimited immigration the poll would have been very different
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Good luck to Macron.

Why worry?
    Complacency writ large. The consensus politicians of the EU will go on in the same old way regardless of events, secure in the belief that history is on their side and a glorious destiny awaits, so long as they keep on plodding rigidly, dogmatically and relentlessly in one single direction.

On the one hand, perhaps they will be proven right?

On the other, so far they've had mass unemployment and the impoverishment of most of their southern flank in the Eurozone crisis; the central European states are in open revolt over attempts to impose multiculturalism from the centre, and most are creeping at varying speeds towards illiberalism; their north-western flank is about to fall off completely; and anywhere between 35% and 45% of the French electorate are going to vote for a neo-fascist as Head of State next Sunday. Goodness knows what comes next.

Trying to stitch together and then hold together a multinational federation is one Hell of a job. Notable past failures include the Soviet Union, Austria-Hungary and Yugoslavia. Keeping the UK on the road is hard enough and it has only four members, with a common language and centuries of common history, and a central Government willing to make extensive concessions. The EU, on the other hand, is a vast, polyglot agglomeration of national governments with competing national interests, in a constant state of tension with a central bureaucracy that is not only rigid but pitiless and deaf, and which seeks gradually to draw all the life from its members using a one-way ratchet of centralisation.

The odds on the project ending well are not good.
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

It really isn't
    It really is - you seem to think that the past 40 years of festering EU resentment would simply disappear? We'd be right back to where we started. The British don't want to be in the EU. Full stop. My vote was different but your hostility to democracy is quite grotesque.
    @faisalislam: ..no evidence here that PM's argument for leaving Single Market & (mostly) Customs Union first advanced at Lanc House, has won public over..

felix said:

Scott_P said:

Yup - see my edit.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,026
    edited April 2017
    Excellent article, Cyclefree.

It is my firm belief that history will show Brexit to be the lightest, most moderate and most reasoned of the 'populist' movements of the early 21st Century, certainly when compared to Trump, Wilders, Le Pen and their equivalents elsewhere in Europe. In fact, it may eventually not even be placed in the same camp. But I think all of these stories have a long way to run yet.

I very much hope you are feeling better.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789

felix said:

Scott_P said:

I'd be interested to learn if the people answering the questions really knew what each option actually meant beyond the buzzwords.
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: ..no evidence here that PM's argument for leaving Single Market & (mostly) Customs Union first advanced at Lanc House, has won public over..

What does that really matter? The EU is not offering it as an option, and May cannot politically make the sorts of concessions that might persuade them to. She has set out her position, and if she is rewarded with a massive majority, well, the people will not doubt still blame her if they don't like what she gets, but on that specific point at least we have all be forewarned.
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

It really isn't
    Yes. It really IS.
    Well, it all depends on whether you want UKIP to revive or not.

felix said:

Overall I agree. It's also contradictory. I mean what happens to support for the single market when FOM is highlighted as a requirement.

The question does explain that the single market means 'free movement of goods, services, money and people between member states'. Although obviously the concept of being a member state without being a member state is problematic...
    It is compatible with EFTA/EEA, but May seems to have ruled this out.

Surely if the election is to be a Brexit election as May announced, then we do need to know what form of Brexit she wants. The EU27 have been admirably open about their position.
    felix said:

It really is - you seem to think that the past 40 years of festering EU resentment would simply disappear? We'd be right back to where we started. The British don't want to be in the EU. Full stop.

The British don't want to be in the caricature of the political union peddled by Boris Johnson to sell newspapers.

They do want to be in the economic union that provides jobs and cheap goods.
    Scott_P said:

felix said:

It really is - you seem to think that the past 40 years of festering EU resentment would simply disappear? We'd be right back to where we started. The British don't want to be in the EU. Full stop.

The British don't want to be in the caricature of the political union peddled by Boris Johnson to sell newspapers.

They were presented with a vote where they were told the first was a caricature, and they still voted the way they did.
  • calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Scott_P said:

Labour need to hit hard here & on triple lock removal !
    edited April 2017
    matt said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

I'd be interested to learn if the people answering the questions really knew what each option actually meant beyond the buzzwords.
    The questions are there in the table that was tweeted, with explanations. Even kipper voters favoured Customs Union by 10%!
    Scott_P said:

felix said:

Of course they do but they don't want FOM - they have made it abundantly clear they want control of the borders and no amount of whining from a second rate TV politician will change that.
    kle4 said:

They were presented with a vote where they were told the first was a caricature, and they still voted the way they did.

They were told millions of Turks were about to invade, and they were told they were being denied hospital treatment because of immigrants, and they voted the way they did
    Why are people still banging on about EEA? That ship has sailed. Remoaners were too busy trying to overturn the referendum result to get on board.
    Scott_P said:

British public opinion is clear and stable: a close trading relationship with immigration control and no political union.

But, if that's not on offer, they prefer a clean break with a view to renegotiating the best trading relationship possible from the outside.
    felix said:

Of course they do but they don't want FOM - they have made it abundantly clear they want control of the borders

Indeed, which makes Brexiteers talking about special deals for fruit pickers and the like so entertaining
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

They were told millions of Turks were about to invade, and they were told they were being denied hospital treatment because of immigrants, and they voted the way they did
    Oh FFS we were told any amount of crap from both sides and they voted the way they did. Get over yourself.

Scott_P said:

The public are not sophisticated enough to know the difference between member and access to and if the question had been qualified that membership equates with unlimited immigration the poll would have been very different
    Sorry to offend earlier, just thought it a long running PB lighthearted meme, but perhaps not everyone aware.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,019
    dr_spyn said:

Isle of Wight, Brighton Pavilion, part of a Green and pleasant land in which Labour won't flourish.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/30/labour-figures-call-for-candidates-to-step-aside-for-greens-in-two-seats

"Oh, no! You did NOT shoot that Green Shit at me!" - Will Smith.
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

They were told by others that the stuff about Turkey was not true (by me, for one).

We were told both sides of the story Scott - you seem to be forgetting that the 'lies' were all debunked. So either people voted for other reasons, or they are so stupid they didn't understand the truth when told, and so you cannot rely on their opinion of how they want other things, since they literally don't know the difference between truth and lie.

they prefer a clean break with a view to renegotiating the best trading relationship possible from the outside.

Right up until they find out what "the best trading relationship possible from the outside" actually entails.

The wailing and gnashing of teeth will be audible across the channel. In Brussels.
    SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

Don't know why any of this is surprising, most of us quite liked the economic aspects of the EU, the way it removed barriers to free trade and benefited the economy.

It was the political baggage that came with it and the whole project of being consumed by a completely undemocratic superstate we rebelled against.
    Indeed. I was happy with some kind of EFTA or EEA ish scenario, and I think TMay might have wangled a deal on tweaking FoM if she'd offered enough money.

Hard Brexit is still preferable to No Brexit, but it is not my desired outcome.
    The elephant in the room, of course, and the reason why Le Pen is likely to get 40% of the vote, is that far fewer people are worried about immigration than are worried about Islamic immigration.

But carry on, EU. Nothing to see here.

felix said:

Surely if the election is to be a Brexit election as May announced, then we do need to know what form of Brexit she wants. The EU27 have been admirably open about their position.
    I increasingly think that May is secretly planning to hold a second referendum once the exit deal is agreed. She'll say that she has obtained the best deal possible by showing the EU that we were totally serious and will then offer the people the choice between that and staying as full members (even if that means losing our opt outs).

It gets her off the hook in so many ways, and would also create a bond of trust between her and the people that would transcend party politics.
    Scott_P said:

Faisal Islam is very selective in how he finds and interprets his evidence, and his agenda is clear to anyne who's been following his twitter feed for longer than a week.
    felix said:

Oh FFS we were told any amount of crap from both sides and they voted the way they did. Get over yourself.

You mean public opinion should "get over itself"...

The polls show public support for the single market and the customs union.

It's not me you're mad at
    dr_spyn said:

Hold firm, Jeremy. Why should Labour stand aside? At best there is one less Tory MP and a handful of Lab MPs made safe by lack of a Green - though as has been pointed out, not as many as some think, particularly given the Green vote does not translate to a centre-left Labour candidate, and the Greens have already unilaterally stood down in a few areas anyway - which if they are getting pounded will make little difference, and if they are holding up still makes little difference.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,830
    edited April 2017

Scott_P said:

Sorry to offend earlier, just thought it a long running PB lighthearted meme, but perhaps not everyone aware.
    That's very nice of you.

I can take trolling as good as anyone but babies and children do catch a nerve

best wishes
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:

felix said:

It really is, because you have an inconsistent view about public opinion. The public voted to leave, but fuck that, even though they were told the Turks were not coming they fell for it and their view can be discounted, but on the single market complexity, oh they definitely know exactly what they want and all associated issues involved, and that is sacrosanct.

Hypocritical garbage, and I'm one would be happy to make the concessions necessary for single market access, I think soft brexit is sellable to the public, if not the Tory party or the EU (who as you have been among those gleeful to point out, are interested in punishment)
    dr_spyn said:

The push for tactical voting is spreading, and unusually not being done tacitly.

Are these blighters trying to wreck my betting position?
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:

felix said:

Depends entirely which poll you look at 'A new YouGov survey published yesterday will boost the Prime Minister’s confidence in her Brexit plan, with nearly two-fifths (39 per cent) supporting her proposal to regain full control over how Britain is governed and who can live here, even if that means not having a free trade relationship with the EU.
    Only 15 per cent of the 1,633 respondents went for a softer option, saying the UK should concede some immigration controls to Brussels in order to secure the best possible trading links with the remaining 27 EU member states.
    One in ten said Mrs May should seek to remain as close to the EU as possible with some form of associate membership, 23 per cent thought Britain should remain in the bloc despite last summer’s Brexit vote and 13 per cent were not sure what sort of departure the UK should pursue.'
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/754887/Theresa-May-plans-YouGov-poll-soft-hard-Brexit-immigration-EU-referendum

However what is clear is current Tory and UKIP voters want to leave the single market to control free movement and reduce contributions to Brussels and Labour, LD and SNP voters want to stay in the single market. So if the single market is a priority for you vote for one of the latter parties, it is not that difficult
  • calum said:

Scott_P said:

Labour need to hit hard here & on triple lock removal !
    The problem for labour is that Starmer has said the freedom of movement has to be controlled.

The EU need to take a good look at themselves, and no more so than Merkel and Juncker's in their dealing with David Cameron. Had they tweaked freedom of movement we would most probably have voted remain.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,098
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

felix said:

It really is, because you have an inconsistent view about public opinion. The public voted to leave, but fuck that, even though they were told the Turks were not coming they fell for it and their view can be discounted, but on the single market complexity, oh they definitely know exactly what they want and all associated issues involved, and that is sacrosanct.

Hypocritical garbage, and I'm one would be happy to make the concessions necessary for single market access, I think soft brexit is sellable to the public, if not the Tory party or the EU (who as you have been among those gleeful to point out, are interested in punishment)
    The more silliness from people like Gina Miller, the less likely compromise will be accepted.

It is rather funny seeing life's winners realise that sometimes things don't go their way...
    kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:

Hold firm, Jeremy. Why should Labour stand aside? At best there is one less Tory MP and a handful of Lab MPs made safe by lack of a Green - though as has been pointed out, not as many as some think, particularly given the Green vote does not translate to a centre-left Labour candidate, and the Greens have already unilaterally stood down in a few areas anyway - which if they are getting pounded will make little difference, and if they are holding up still makes little difference.
    To be fair, it would save the Greens a fair few quid if they stood aside in Con/Lab, Con/LD, and Con/SNP marginals.

Perhaps a promise that Caroline Lucas would be environment secretary in the Progressive Alliance Cabinet would do the trick.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,098

felix said:

I increasingly think that May is secretly planning to hold a second referendum once the exit deal is agreed. She'll say that she has obtained the best deal possible by showing the EU that we were totally serious and will then offer the people the choice between that and staying as full members (even if that means losing our opt outs).

It gets her off the hook in so many ways, and would also create a bond of trust between her and the people that would transcend party politics.
    Delusion continued, chapter 987.
    Mortimer said:

felix said:

Delusion continued, chapter 987.
    That last sentence is totally out there.
    edited April 2017
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

felix said:

Depends entirely which poll you look at 'A new YouGov survey published yesterday will boost the Prime Minister’s confidence in her Brexit plan, with nearly two-fifths (39 per cent) supporting her proposal to regain full control over how Britain is governed and who can live here, even if that means not having a free trade relationship with the EU.
    Only 15 per cent of the 1,633 respondents went for a softer option, saying the UK should concede some immigration controls to Brussels in order to secure the best possible trading links with the remaining 27 EU member states.
    One in ten said Mrs May should seek to remain as close to the EU as possible with some form of associate membership, 23 per cent thought Britain should remain in the bloc despite last summer’s Brexit vote and 13 per cent were not sure what sort of departure the UK should pursue.'
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/754887/Theresa-May-plans-YouGov-poll-soft-hard-Brexit-immigration-EU-referendum

However what is clear is current Tory and UKIP voters want to leave the single market to control free movement and reduce contributions to Brussels and Labour, LD and SNP voters want to stay in the single market. So if the single market is a priority for you vote for one of the latter parties, it is not that difficult
    I agree, there is major cognitive dissonance on the part of the "have cake and eat it" British public. Shortly to be resolved by a car crash Brexit wake up call.
  • Scott_P said:

Faisal Islam is very selective in how he finds and interprets his evidence, and his agenda is clear to anyne who's been following his twitter feed for longer than a week.
    I find his views on Sky so pro EU he struggles to disguise it. He certainly is not an impartial commentator on the EU
    Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

felix said:

The more silliness from people like Gina Miller, the less likely compromise will be accepted.

It is rather funny seeing life's winners realise that sometimes things don't go their way...
    The more airtime Gina Miller gets, the more people join our side.

If referendum II happened and I was running the Brexit II campaign, I'd put her in all the ads.

The woman is toxic - the very worst elements of smugness, elitism, arrogance and hypocrisy, all wrapped up in someone who's happy to play the courts and institutions of the country for political gain.

She's a truly despicable, self-serving cretin. Leavers should work together to give her as much airtime as possible.
This discussion has been closed.