Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rolling back green taxes will create some CON branding issu

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited October 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rolling back green taxes will create some CON branding issues

It hasn’t really been touched on yet but one of the problems facing the Conservative leadership on rolling back green taxes is that it goes against much of what David Cameron was trying to achieve in his early days as leader and how he was trying to define his party.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited October 2013
    I've got Georgia on my mind ....

peach cobbler for breakfast it is then ....
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    On the basis of logos, Labour should never stand in Yorkshire.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,652
    They don't have to change their position on greenery - simply alter the way they go about raising funds - shifting from energy bills to general taxation, for example. It's not like Labour are in any position to attack them on unfunded promises! How many times have they spent the banker's bonus tax?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Running against green taxes is a great strategy for the Tories, apart from the fact that it destroys their leader's branding.

The obvious move would be to change to a different leader. But if they're not going to do that, they shouldn't run against green taxes.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    If you take 'green' to mean just reducing CO2 (which too many people fallaciously do), then many of these taxes are not directly 'green'. They can be slashed and CO2 emissions changes will probably not be noticed.

For instance, the now-ended 'warm front' scheme seemed to be more about helping people in fuel poverty than actually reducing CO2 emissions. Helping such people is a worthy cause, but any connections to reductions in CO2 emissions are indirect, to say the least. It's replacement should be taken off energy bills.

In addition, the Warm Home Discount does nothing to reduce CO2.

However building a few new nuclear power stations will reduce CO2 emissions markedly (*). With that one move, the coalition have moved more towards a sensible and workable policy than Ed did in his time at DECC.

A list of the taxes can be found at:
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/10/the-seven-green-taxes-that-put-112-on-your-energy-bill-and-which-of-them-ed-miliband-brought-in/

If we want some of these non-green things, they should be put on general taxation rather than hidden indirectly on energy bills.

(*) Some green advocates even doubt that.
  • Options
    JackW said:

I think you'll find your state dish is "grits"!

Mercifully Colorado doesn't have a state dish - but the only edible state symbol is the trout......no laughing at the back!

http://www.netstate.com/states/tables/state_food.htm
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    It was always a stupid, meaningless logo. Time we returned to a logo which identifies with the Tory party. That means it should contain the Union Jack colours. The Scottish Tories used to have an excellent logo with Scotland covered in a Union Jack.

Meanwhile back in the real world we have the Dunfermline by-election today. The only real issue is how large is the Labour majority? If Labour doesn't win and win easily then it is a problem for La Lamont and her boss Ed Milibland. If Labour doesn't win it is a disaster for them. Should the SNP actually hold the seat then forget what the opinion polls say, Labour has real problems in Scotland.

What we don't know is how the UNITE disaster at Grangemouth will play out, if at all, in the by-election. It is the neighbouring seat just across the Firth of Forth and Gordon Brown's fiefdom.

As a Tory, if we hold our deposit and finish in 3rd place that would be an excellent result. In 2011 we finished 4th with roughly half the votes of the LibDems.
  • Options

JackW said:

I think you'll find your state dish is "grits"!

Mercifully Colorado doesn't have a state dish - but the only edible state symbol is the trout......no laughing at the back!

http://www.netstate.com/states/tables/state_food.htm
    Grits !! .... Grits !!!!!

Frankly my dear I don't give a damn ....

I've just noticed I've got "MikeK" as a neighbour !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Conservative Logo .....

Timber !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    tim said:

It's going to be difficult to spot the difference between fake Dave and fake fake Dave, really whats the point of him?

Says the fake Cheshire farmer ....

Irony meter now in orbit heading for planet "tim"

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,266
    If we all move to the recommended states I may finally make a PB get together in Georgia. That would be fun.

As regards the header I think what we are talking about here is what should have been done in the first place. The cost of some green policies, such as energy efficiency and subsidising bird whisks will be taken off our energy bills and added to general taxation. I don't see anything particularly "ungreen" about that.

The government is committed to subsidising inefficient energy sources for some considerable time and the money wasted on that has to be found somewhere. It is the stealth tax aspect that will go thereby helping the poor at the cost of higher tax payers. The sort of thing Labour would have done if it was not determined to discourage us all from using energy to save the planet (and possibly reduce the pension bill I suppose).
  • Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited October 2013
    David Cameron spends the first so many years of his leadership proclaiming his greeness (who said it was going to be the greenest government ever, was it Cameron or someone else?) and then the next 15 months attacking it. It would be like entering a boxing ring with your hands tied behind your back.
  • Options
    tim said:

It's going to be difficult to spot the difference between fake Dave and fake fake Dave, really whats the point of him?

If I was Labour I think it is time to lay off David Cameron, he is actually becoming an easy target for Labour. Leave the laying in to him from behind him on the governmnet benches. They could then give him a political mauling in the six months up until the election.
  • Options
    It is extraordinary that the Tories are floundering so much on this. Whatever they do now will be in direct response to Ed Miliband - yes, Ed Miliband, that one, the crap Labour leader.

I remember being in the US during the Labour conference and reading on here about the total and unmitigated disaster that was unfolding in Brighton. Perhaps it was not as bad as some had believed!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    tim said:

lol.

Still, Labour should be grateful - a competent tory leader would be trouncing EdM in the polls.
  • Options
    Dave is now going to pay the price for being a knob. He got a first in PPE at Oxford so is supposedly an intelligent man. But somehow he fell for the climate tosh. Any politician that proudly puts the interests of beetles above the interests of people deserves a take down.

It was, surely, not very prescient of him to commit his personal branding so deeply into a theme that was apparent to anyone with the slightest critical faculties to be scientifically dubious and, more importantly, ideologically at odds with the core Tory beliefs on economic growth, freedom and aspiration. What that tells me is that Dave was more worried about seeming than being. And that's the difference between him/Blair/Miliband/Clegg/most politicans and the likes of Maggie/Callaghan/Reagan/Attlee. The latter group believed something and strove for it.

Actually on the whole I quite like Dave and the general direction of this government is pretty good. But tim is right to highlight the PM as fake fake Dave.
  • Options
    In addition to what I wrote below:

Smart meters are a good thing, although initially costly. ISTR a report that showed when people could see their energy usage, their energy usage decreased markedly. For this reason alone it should continue.

And I'm not just saying that because Mrs J worked on a chip for one such system. ;-)

It can also take a couple of months to swap energy supplier. Since there is no real physical work to be done (i.e. they do not put new pipes or cables down the street but use the shared infrastructure), can anyone justify why it takes so long to swap? This should be reduced to a maximum of a working week, and the 'cooling off' period reduced to a maximum of a week as well.
  • Options

David Cameron spends the first so many years of his leadership proclaiming his greeness (who said it was going to be the greenest government ever, was it Cameron or someone else?) and then the next 15 months attacking it. It would be like entering a boxing ring with your hands tied behind your back.

It would be an admission of total failure, obviously; but I doubt it would make much difference to anything.

• Options
    tim said:

JackW said:

tim said:

Says the fake Cheshire farmer ....

Irony meter now in orbit heading for planet "tim"

JackW is 109, oh how our sides split.
    Pass the port "tim" .... you know from your extensive cellarage of fortified wines down at your vintnering business.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

It would be an admission of total failure, obviously; but I doubt it would make much difference to anything.

Agreed. No one is going to not vote tory in 2015 because of this.
  • Options

It is extraordinary that the Tories are floundering so much on this. Whatever they do now will be in direct response to Ed Miliband - yes, Ed Miliband, that one, the crap Labour leader.

I remember being in the US during the Labour conference and reading on here about the total and unmitigated disaster that was unfolding in Brighton. Perhaps it was not as bad as some had believed!

A 'direct response' to Ed Miliband's insane scheme is not easy, because the coalition have to try to find a workable solution, as opposed to Miliband's unworkable price freeze.

It's easy to promise the Earth when you don't have to implement that promise. It's harder to actually do something.

Ed found this when he was at DECC, and spent his time reacting to luvvie demands on energy instead of ensuring we had a workable system in the future.
  • Options

Ed found this when he was at DECC, and spent his time reacting to luvvie demands on energy instead of ensuring we had a workable system in the future.
    I think it unlikely Ed will want to run on his record at DECC.......

• Options

A 'direct response' to Ed Miliband's insane scheme is not easy, because the coalition have to try to find a workable solution, as opposed to Miliband's unworkable price freeze.

It's easy to promise the Earth when you don't have to implement that promise. It's harder to actually do something.

If the scheme is "insane" then it should be relatively simple to rebut. But then if it were insane, would the last Tory leader to secure a majority at a general election be proposing a response to it that, unlike Ed's price freeze, is genuinely left-wing?

The basic problem here is that the Tory leadership seems to have been genuinely taken by surprise that there might be a cost of living crisis out there in the real world.

• Options

It just re-inforces the look of floundering by Cameron, which is gaining traction(both ten o'clock news reports were far from complementary to Cameron last night and both said he was starting to look rattled). What makes it even worse is that he has picked a subject where he then runs head on into an argument with his coalition partners. So floundering and politically stupid.
  • Options
    The bottom line is that the great British people have decided they pay too much for their energy. They are not persuaded that all these green thingys do any good. They are increasingly sceptical about global warming. Politicians have to respond to that, whether fellow travellers like Dave or true believers like Ed.

In terms of global warming they are almost certainly right. The idea that the planet is somehow improved because a pensioner cannot afford another bar on their fire is just obscene and inhuman.

Green politics was another excuse for politicians to attend important conferences and to tell us what to do. The attractions for the political class are obvious. The attractions for the rest of us less so.

There are lots of embarrassing quotes from Cameron who was undoubtedly on board for this nonsense for a while. But in the long run such a shift is a much bigger problem for Ed, the man who cried at Copenhagen. It is a serious part of who he is. He may not believe in much (other than getting elected) but he believes in this.
  • Options

I think it unlikely Ed will want to run on his record at DECC.......

To be fair to Ed, he did resist Tory and LD pressure to set even more stringent emissions targets.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Indeed, Mr. Jessop.

A u-turn only matters in terms of political damage if it loses support. Who would Cameron upset by this move? Greens? Guardian readers? The people who can afford higher fuel bills?

Who would he potentially gain from such a move? Almost everyone else.

The country is far more sceptical of this green nonsense than it was back when Cameron had his husky photos. Partly that's economic (it's easier to make a financial sacrifice if you can actually afford it), and partly that's because the chaps claiming to be scientists have a notable habit of being wrong.

A short time after the "We'll never have snow again" article in the Independent we had a couple of historically cold (and snowy) winters. The IPCC got its medium term forecast for temperature wrong, then upgraded its confidence in how tremendous and correct it was from 90% to 95%.

If Labour and the Lib Dems want to use the attack line "Look at the nasty Tories! They're lowering your fuel bills [which Ed Miliband increased]!" I suspect the blues will somehow manage to live with that.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, the Major Government resisted the calls by Kinnock to join the ERM earlier.

Oppositions don't get credit or blame for governance.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The bottom line is that the great British people have decided they pay too much for their energy. They are not persuaded that all these green thingys do any good. They are increasingly sceptical about global warming. Politicians have to respond to that, whether fellow travellers like Dave or true believers like Ed.

In terms of global warming they are almost certainly right. The idea that the planet is somehow improved because a pensioner cannot afford another bar on their fire is just obscene and inhuman.

Green politics was another excuse for politicians to attend important conferences and to tell us what to do. The attractions for the political class are obvious. The attractions for the rest of us less so.

There are lots of embarrassing quotes from Cameron who was undoubtedly on board for this nonsense for a while. But in the long run such a shift is a much bigger problem for Ed, the man who cried at Copenhagen. It is a serious part of who he is. He may not believe in much (other than getting elected) but he believes in this.

Dave is a true believer - or he told us that he was. He was certainly talking "green" in advance of the last government doing anything much.

• Options
    tim said:

• Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536

They don't have to change their position on greenery - simply alter the way they go about raising funds - shifting from energy bills to general taxation, for example. It's not like Labour are in any position to attack them on unfunded promises! How many times have they spent the banker's bonus tax?

LOL - great thread header and I see the PB Tory hilarity has already begun.
    I wonder if Antifrank still thinks I am "dead wrong" for forecasting that the next election would not be fought on reducing the deficit, but putting money in people's pockets?

Give it away, give it away, give it away now!

• Options

If the scheme is "insane" then it should be relatively simple to rebut. But then if it were insane, would the last Tory leader to secure a majority at a general election be proposing a response to it that, unlike Ed's price freeze, is genuinely left-wing?

The basic problem here is that the Tory leadership seems to have been genuinely taken by surprise that there might be a cost of living crisis out there in the real world.

It isn't easy to rebut, as it sounds compelling and targets an 'enemy', i.e. the energy producers and suppliers. People would want to believe the problem is easy to fix, even if it is not.

Any scheme the coalition comes up with will be less compelling, because they will have to implement it. In other words, Ed can promise the Earth. The coalition have to actually do it.

Just look at the synthetic hatred that appeared on here towards the energy companies that sprung up immediately after Miliband's announcement. Accusations of price fixing, price gouging, cartels and others were made, but when asked for evidence of these specific claims, none came forward.

It's the old politicians' trick: create an enemy, ideally a worthy one, but any will do, and target them.

Exactly as McBride did whilst under Ed, Ed and Gordon at the treasury. If there's a problem, create an enemy; anyone, regardless of guilt, and blame them to protect yourself.
  • Options

It just re-inforces the look of floundering by Cameron, which is gaining traction(both ten o'clock news reports were far from complementary to Cameron last night and both said he was starting to look rattled). What makes it even worse is that he has picked a subject where he then runs head on into an argument with his coalition partners. So floundering and politically stupid.

Absolutely. It's all about reinforcing notions that already exist. It may not shift votes, but it may make them harder to win back.

In the same way, I suspect that were Dave to reduce green taxes, people would happily take the savings, such as they are, but they would not actually give much credit to the Tories, who would be seen to be doing it only because they were forced into it by Labour.

• Options

I too am surprised that the analyses of Plato and Fitalass proved wide of the mark.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Being "Green" does not just mean reduced CO2.There are many examples that can be done, however as we all have developed a consumer/convenience society then things like reduced packaging can mean fewer jobs.

For instance:
    Make all local authorities have the same maximum recycling capabilities.
    Oblige all water companies to ensure that all surface water does not go to the sewers and so overflow and pollute the sea. In many countries coastal towns allow surface water to flow along the streets and into the sea - but rarely in the UK.
    Minimise prepackaging in supermarkets. Already at many for fruit and veg are reverting to market-style pick and weigh.
    All new builds to have solar panels on the roof and very efficient insulation including triple glazing. Link if possible to a local heating system that uses waste heat.
    Exploit subterranean gasification of coal and fracking, using globally known technology.
    Use global technology for renewable and have a UK action plan on this.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Dave is a true believer - or he told us that he was. He was certainly talking "green" in advance of the last government doing anything much.

Well we will see. We are in the realm of gesture politics here. The Lib dems will not accept anything too drastic and we are only talking about 10% of the energy bill in total anyway, about 5% of average expenditure IIRC.

As a conservative I just think Cameron is less wedded to telling people what to do for their own good than someone like Ed. Ed and Labour generally never really doubt the government knows best.

Looking forward to discussing this over cocktails in Georgia by the way. Not sure about some of the neighbours though!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    What is needed is not some gimmickry, it is some longterm strategic thinking.

A large part of government policy has been based on taxing undesireable behaviours, from driving, congestion charging to minimum alcohol prices and fat taxes. Green taxes fall into this form of social control, with the often explicit target of reducing consumption by making ungreen habits expensive.

Most of these taxes are heavily regressive and are legislated by wealthy metropolitans to be paid by the lumpen proletariat, as a way of social control.

Apart from the wisdom of many of these social objectives, we do ned to consider whether the entire philosophy is right in a free society.

I am in favour of a diverse range of energy sources, so we are not dependent on Russian gas or Saudi oil, but the costs of doing this should be funded from general taxation rather than directly by the consumer.

Good morning, everyone.

Indeed, Mr. Jessop.

A u-turn only matters in terms of political damage if it loses support. Who would Cameron upset by this move? Greens? Guardian readers? The people who can afford higher fuel bills?

Who would he potentially gain from such a move? Almost everyone else.

The country is far more sceptical of this green nonsense than it was back when Cameron had his husky photos. Partly that's economic (it's easier to make a financial sacrifice if you can actually afford it), and partly that's because the chaps claiming to be scientists have a notable habit of being wrong.

A short time after the "We'll never have snow again" article in the Independent we had a couple of historically cold (and snowy) winters. The IPCC got its medium term forecast for temperature wrong, then upgraded its confidence in how tremendous and correct it was from 90% to 95%.

If Labour and the Lib Dems want to use the attack line "Look at the nasty Tories! They're lowering your fuel bills [which Ed Miliband increased]!" I suspect the blues will somehow manage to live with that.

• Options
    As the Polling Stations open in west Fife, here are the best prices:

Dunfermline by-election

Lab 1/4 BetVictor
    SNP 7/2 Betfair, Ladbrokes
    LD 50/1 Ladbrokes
    Grn 100/1
    Ind 100/1
    UKIP 100/1
    Con 150/1
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    :^ )

Andrew Bloch @AndrewBloch
    15 pages on royal christening in Daily Mail. Here's The Independent's coverage in full: 4 lines at bottom of p27 pic.twitter.com/HMoXfmWFwU
  • Options
    tim said:

DavidL said:

Dave's not a true believer in anything besides a photo op.
    Ask Brooke Kinsella, he didn't believe a word, the photo op was all.
    Chortle, we await the deep statement of personal credo from blank paper Ed.

• Options

It isn't easy to rebut, as it sounds compelling and targets an 'enemy', i.e. the energy producers and suppliers. People would want to believe the problem is easy to fix, even if it is not.

Any scheme the coalition comes up with will be less compelling, because they will have to implement it. In other words, Ed can promise the Earth. The coalition have to actually do it.

Just look at the synthetic hatred that appeared on here towards the energy companies that sprung up immediately after Miliband's announcement. Accusations of price fixing, price gouging, cartels and others were made, but when asked for evidence of these specific claims, none came forward.

It's the old politicians' trick: create an enemy, ideally a worthy one, but any will do, and target them.

Exactly as McBride did whilst under Ed, Ed and Gordon at the treasury. If there's a problem, create an enemy; anyone, regardless of guilt, and blame them to protect yourself.

Nice theory, but it's people such as Tory energy minister Michael Fallon and Tory ex-PM John Major who are calling the energy companies greedy and accusing them of making excessive profits.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    what is this logo, is it early Picasso, is it Matisse, or is it Pollocks?
  • Options
    Apols if posted - YouGov is Lab+7

39/32
  • Options
    tim said:

DavidL said:

Dave's not a true believer in anything besides a photo op.
    Ask Brooke Kinsella, he didn't believe a word, the photo op was all.

Let's not forget that at its core environmentalism can be a deeply conservative idea: the sanctity of the soil, the rejection of industry, stewardship of the land, going back to the past and so on. That's why it is so appealing to people such as Prince Charles. I suspect that Dave is cut from similar cloth. Or was.

• Options
    tim said:

Labour strategists looking at HS2 and the vote in March must be looking at Camerons flailing and thinking they can inflict some serious damage on him them

HS2 is another Dave brainfart. Is it wise to spend XXbillion we don't have in order that people can get up North in 2 hours instead of 3? A simple and honest cost benefit analysis will tear this idiocy apart and the sooner it is quietly shelved the better as there is nothing but pain for Dave in pushing this forwards.
  • Options
    Mr. Patrick, isn't the main reason for HS2 not the high speed nature but the need to increase rail capacity?

If we're doing that anyway then (costs not being excessive) it makes sense to make it high speed.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

I've never been a Conservative but, unlike tim, I would never advise them on a better alternative to Cameron. If they did elect May, tim would spend all his time bringing up shoe and cat stories, and generally belittling her - no doubt concluding that they'd jumped from the frying pan into the fire.

But unfortunately, for the Tories, Cameron possibly is keen on green issues, hence the hesitation about reversing the green taxes. And tim's right - if he did reverse them, it would make him look unreliable and short of of principle. Ed's fine here, he hasn't many principles to start with.

The LDs can probably get away with it (a big boy made them do it) but Cameron would look false. Although pandering to the greens was never going to be a vote winner anyway.
  • Options
    Clegg on R4 - some of these "green" charges could be paid out of general government expenditure. Also declines to get into a Grangemouth party politics game - "beyond politics". Labour MPs take note.
  • Options
    In addition to Dunfermline itself the county constituency includes, eg:

Kincardine (Kincardine-on-Forth)
    Culross
    Oakley
    Torryburn
    Charlestown
    Limekilns
    Kingseat
    Saline

... and quite a large rural area between the Firth of Forth and the Cleish Hills (Ochils).

The constituency is adjacent to:

- Clackmannanshire and Dunblane (Keith Brown MSP, SNP)
    - Cowdenbeath (Helen Eadie MSP, Lab)
    - Perthshire South and Kinross-shire (Roseanna Cunningham MSP, SNP)
  • Options

Nice theory, but it's people such as Tory energy minister Michael Fallon and Tory ex-PM John Major who are calling the energy companies greedy and accusing them of making excessive profits.

If you read back on here, I have criticised the energy companies as well, particularly in relation to risk-taking and openness. As it stands, I disagree with Major and Fallon, or at least their definition of excess profits.

Since you seem to be one of the more switched-on centre-left people on here, how do you see Miliband's price freeze scheme working in various scenarios?

As a matter of interest, do you think Tesco makes excessive profits? And what are 'excessive profits'? Do you take the headline net profit figure, the operating income, or the ratio of revenue to net profit?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Changing the logo would absolutely be the wrong thing to do.

It would send the message that the only way to protect the environment is to increase energy prices to a level where thousands of people are tipped into fuel poverty and businesses become uneconomic.

That is clearly garbage.
  • Options

I thought the consensus was that it was good politics but bad for the economy.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

tim said:

Labour strategists looking at HS2 and the vote in March must be looking at Camerons flailing and thinking they can inflict some serious damage on him them

HS2 is another Dave brainfart. Is it wise to spend XXbillion we don't have in order that people can get up North in 2 hours instead of 3? A simple and honest cost benefit analysis will tear this idiocy apart and the sooner it is quietly shelved the better as there is nothing but pain for Dave in pushing this forwards.
    In which case, I assume you were against the building of the motorway network? After all, billions were spent on that network in order to get people moved around the country quicker.

As for the HS2 BCR, there has been an honest one done, and it is being updated atm (it's hard for an honest BCR to be simple).

http://assets.hs2.org.uk/sites/default/files/inserts/Updated economic case for HS2.pdf
  • Options
    Here's a little-known fact: did you know that the parishes of Culross (which included Kincardine-on-Forth) and Tulliallan were formerly an exclave of Perthshire? They were transferred to Fife in 1890, but remain part of the Perthshire lietenancy area.

Here's another quiz question: which Conservative (yes: Conservative!) prime minister abolished the ancient counties of Scotland, which had slowly evolved since the early middle ages? An astonishing piece of social and political vandalism, rarely mentioned in modern Scotland.
  • Options

Mr. Patrick, isn't the main reason for HS2 not the high speed nature but the need to increase rail capacity?

If we're doing that anyway then (costs not being excessive) it makes sense to make it high speed.

No, the main reason is political grandstanding.

Increasing rail capacity is just the latest excuse to justify it.

An anecdote from John Redwood which demolishes that excuse:

http://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2013/10/16/the-7-20-train-to-manchester/
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Indeed, many environmental policies chime well with conservative voters, particularly protecting the countryside from urban sprawl.

But regressive green and other "sin" taxes are not particularly conservative.

Charles said:

Changing the logo would absolutely be the wrong thing to do.

It would send the message that the only way to protect the environment is to increase energy prices to a level where thousands of people are tipped into fuel poverty and businesses become uneconomic.

That is clearly garbage.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited October 2013
    "........Open on Tory logo. Slowly the vivid green tree withers and turns puce. VO. Cameron's voice in the background.....

It might not be "open on tropical beach-Three tanned girls slowly emerge from crystal clear water.......' which always goes down so well at this time of the year but It's not every day advertisers get the chance to do something as iconic and game changing as a "Labour Isn't Working".

(To whom it may concern. This is not an offer. I still prefer tropical beaches...)

• Options

Here's a little-known fact: did you know that the parishes of Culross (which included Kincardine-on-Forth) and Tulliallan were formerly an exclave of Perthshire? They were transferred to Fife in 1890, but remain part of the Perthshire lietenancy area.

Here's another quiz question: which Conservative (yes: Conservative!) prime minister abolished the ancient counties of Scotland, which had slowly evolved since the early middle ages? An astonishing piece of social and political vandalism, rarely mentioned in modern Scotland.

Well Heath did it in England, so possibly in Scotland as well?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Plato:

What have you been doing? I have a cat-based advert on PB now and do not even own a cat.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    @tim - I realize you're in a particularly demented gerbil phase - much to the hilarity of the nation - but quoting Ed Balls's former lackey quoting Ed Balls is one of your best yet.
  • Options

As the Polling Stations open in west Fife, here are the best prices:

Dunfermline by-election

Lab 1/4 BetVictor
    SNP 7/2 Betfair, Ladbrokes
    LD 50/1 Ladbrokes
    Grn 100/1
    Ind 100/1
    UKIP 100/1
    Con 150/1

The SNP are now being laid at 5.1 over at Betfair. Early feedback from the polling stations?
  • Options
    @Jack

"Conservative Logo .....

Timber !!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I like it!!
  • Options
    Labour price plummetting at Betfair. Pretty much nothing left there. Ladbrokes are likely to be the only folk accepting stakes now, current Lab price is 1/5.
  • Options
  • Options
    SNP being laid at 5.5 as I write.
  • Options

That would be Heath - another black mark on his record.....and the Tories had tried it before.....but Willie Ross faffed around, then Wilson appointed the Wheatley Commission...which Heath broadly implemented, although wisely not dismembering the Kingdom of Fife.

I guess Cameron will not have a comfortable time at the EU summit today - though I suspect most will be too polite to mention it, if the US has been bugging Merkel's phone, the chances must be high they shared at least some of that with us.....
  • Options
    Charles said:

Well Heath did it in England, so possibly in Scotland as well?
    Correct: Ted Heath.

Heath is probably more remembered north of the border for another astonishing thing: his "Declaration of Perth".
    ... Heath dropped a bombshell. "I propose that … a Constitutional Committee should be set up to examine proposals for the reorganisation of Scottish Government," he declared. He continued, "We would propose to the Constitutional Committee the creation of an elected Scottish Assembly, to sit in Scotland.

"Let there be no doubt about this: the Conservative Party is determined to effect a real improvement in the machinery of government in Scotland. And it is pledged to give the people of Scotland genuine participation in the making of decisions that affect them – all within the historic unity of the United Kingdom."
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/four-decades-on-declaration-of-perth-is-still-fuelling-debate-1-1169195

It was not until Maggie Thatcher took over the leadership that the Tories officially dropped that policy. Malcolm Rifkind had to do all kinds of emotional and rhetorical somersaults.
  • Options
    @Dr-Spyn

"what is this logo, is it early Picasso, is it Matisse, or is it Pollocks?"

I think it's brilliant. One of the smartest bits of rebranding I've seen. Steve Hilton against much derision from the Tory Luddites. It changed the perception of the Tories overnight.

Unfortunately I can't find the name of the person who penned it.
  • Options
    SNP being laid at 5.6
  • Options

But thinking about it the problem isn't rising prices - inflation has been much higher many times in the past.

The problem is the lack of pay rises.

This is a problem that started a decade ago with globalisation and since then has been steadily climbing up the socioeconomic ladder. Until 2010 it was only the lower levels which were suffering and the increase in household debt effectively provided a 'painkiller' to the symptoms.

But it has now reached high enough to be experienced by swing voters and to have been noticed by the media.

It has though come as a surprise to the Cameroons. They lack knowledge of and empathy towards those lower down the socioeconomic scale and to them globalisation still means cheap domestic workers and rising property values.

Hence the baffled floundering of the Conservative leadership.

• Options
    Mixed picture from across the channel. While German manufacturing PMI was stronger than expected, services was weaker, both declined in France.

Meanwhile Spanish unemployment falls 0.28%.....to 25.98%.....

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/oct/24/grangemouth-rescue-talks-chinese-manufacturing-picks-up-live
  • Options

HS2 started because Labour realised that there was going to be a capacity crunch on north-south routes. Various reports detailing this were released up to 2009, and these led the then-government to set up a project to investigate how the capacity problems could be fixed.

Hence capacity was the driving force of HS2 from the beginning, not the 'latest excuse'. Railt usage (both passenger and freight) have increased massively since privatisation, and barely saw a decrease during the recession. I see little reason that increase will not continue.

Nothing has changed since that 2009 report. The capacity crunch is still coming (and is in some cases on us).

A BBC report from 2009:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8071249.stm

As for Redwood's article: it's good to see Labour supporters finally accepting anecdotes as evidence. Sadly, Redwood ignores many other factors such as freight traffic, and the fact that passenger levels today are far less than the future projections. It is hardly a 'demolition'.
  • Options
    tim said:

JohnO said:

@tim - I realize you're in a particularly demented gerbil phase - much to the hilarity of the nation - but quoting Ed Balls's former lackey quoting Ed Balls is one of your best yet.

"We learned this week that stamp duty receipts are up 39 per cent, reflecting a booming housing market in parts of the country. But by simply boosting demand with Help to Buy while failing to take action to boost housing supply, George Osborne risks making home ownership even further out of reach of the aspiring first time buyers the scheme should be helping.

And it is why I believe the Bank of England must now urgently review the details of the Help to Buy scheme. How can it make sense for a scheme that should be about helping first time buyers to offer taxpayer-backed mortgages on homes worth up to £600,000?"

No one in their right mind disagrees with that.
    Apart from being a massive non-sequiteur.

Stamp duty increases reflect (a) Osbornes increase for 5 to 7% at the top end and (b) house prices I P/SP London. Suggest you dig into the substance (or lack of) in Balls' pronouncements before you give a ringing endorsement.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The Tories handbrake turn on green issues is utterly remarkable. They clearly didn't mean Vote Blue Go Green, it was nothing more than a device to win power.

Cameron personally loses a lot of credibility through this.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The Tories handbrake turn on green issues is utterly remarkable. They clearly didn't mean Vote Blue Go Green, it was nothing more than a device to win power.

Cameron personally loses a lot of credibility through this.

Labour's handbrake turn on economic credibility and the markets is utterly remarkable.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    So the coalition want to transfer the green levies onto general taxation and cut bills.

Not a bad idea as I can`t see the LD`s give up on them completely as being green is one of three flagship policies to show for their time in power,raising income tax threshold and pupil premium being the other two.

• Options
    The idea of losing Green taxes across the whole tax base makes a lot more sense.

Were they even hypothecated? If they weren't - its all smoke and mirrors anyway.
  • Options

HS2 started because Labour realised that there was going to be a capacity crunch on north-south routes. Various reports detailing this were released up to 2009, and these led the then-government to set up a project to investigate how the capacity problems could be fixed.

Hence capacity was the driving force of HS2 from the beginning, not the 'latest excuse'. Railt usage (both passenger and freight) have increased massively since privatisation, and barely saw a decrease during the recession. I see little reason that increase will not continue.

Nothing has changed since that 2009 report. The capacity crunch is still coming (and is in some cases on us).

A BBC report from 2009:

As for Redwood's article: it's good to see Labour supporters finally accepting anecdotes as evidence. Sadly, Redwood ignores many other factors such as freight traffic, and the fact that passenger levels today are far less than the future projections. It is hardly a 'demolition'.
    That you accuse me of being a 'Labour supporter' shows that you have lost the argument.

And btw there are no shortage of capacity crunches on the transport networks now but they're not getting £50bn thrown at them.

Incidentally why is there going to be an enormous increase in rail usage ? Can anyone explain or is yet another case of 'extrapolate to infinity' to meet someone's vested interest.

• Options
    SMukesh said:

So the coalition want to transfer the green levies onto general taxation and cut bills.

Not a bad idea as I can`t see the LD`s give up on them completely as being green is one of three flagship policies to show for their time in power,raising income tax threshold and pupil premium being the other two.

The problem, as I showed on my first post on this thread, is that several of the green taxes are not actually anything to do with greenery. For instance the 'Warm Home Discount' or the 'Energy Companies Obligation'.

These two have nothing to do with greenery, and should come from general taxation. That would reduce direct energy bills by £58. Even better, as happens with general taxation, the rich would pay the majority of the new taxation, whilst everyone would get the benefit of lower fuel bills. Therefore the poor would benefit the most.

Result!

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/10/the-seven-green-taxes-that-put-112-on-your-energy-bill-and-which-of-them-ed-miliband-brought-in/
  • Options

A BBC report from 2009:

It didn't occur to the genius that is John Redwood that on a rail route from London to Manchester most of the demand before 9 in the morning is to go in to London rather than out of it. Redwood's anecdotes are as oafish and as useless as the ones that get dished up here on a daily basis. I remember him once arguing that libraries should be closed down because he once went in one and it was a bit quiet.
  • Options
    I think this was mentioned earlier in the context of a BoJo vs Cameron govt - but its worth looking at all the permutations of leader(s)/parties:

Who do you trust to manage the country's economic recovery (net)

Government/Leader:
    Con/Cameron: -23
    Lab/Miliband: -32

Con/Johnson: -35
    Lab/Balls: -44

Con/Lib: Cameron/Clegg: -35
    Lab/Lib: Miliband/Clegg: -53

Con/Lib: Cameron/Cable: -44
    Lab/Lib: Miliband/Cable: -43

Interesting the swings when Cable is included - worse than Clegg with Cameron (-9), but better with Milliband (+10) than Clegg.....
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited October 2013
    Sure enough: BetVictor, Coral and Betway, the Mickey Mouses of political betting have all suspended their Dunfermline prices.

Only Paddy Power, Ladbrokes and Betfair still in operation. Best Lab price at the bookies (1.2), best SNP price at Betfair (6).
  • Options

That you accuse me of being a 'Labour supporter' shows that you have lost the argument.

And congratulations Josias you are the most intelligent PBer so far to accuse me of being a Labour supporter.

To save you from embarrassment I wont mention the names of the others you have now joined.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Tory Manifesto 2010

""We will increase the proportion of tax revenue accounted for by environmental taxes"

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited October 2013
    Being green is more than just high taxes of course, so Cameron shouldn't have any problem cutting taxes but keeping his green-ness.

Perhaps some Lib Dems should comment on the failure of Chris Huhne's Green Deal?
  • Options

It didn't occur to the genius that is John Redwood that on a rail route from London to Manchester most of the demand before 9 in the morning is to go in to London rather than out of it.

If that's true, and it may well be, then that demolishes the 'HS2 will help the North' argument.

Though as HS2 is due to be built from London northwards it is already clear which place would benefit most.

• Options
    @AR

"And congratulations Josias you are the most intelligent PBer so far to accuse me of being a Labour supporter."

In that case I can think of only one other PBer who might be the guilty party.
  • Options

And btw there are no shortage of capacity crunches on the transport networks now but they're not getting £50bn thrown at them.

Incidentally why is there going to be an enormous increase in rail usage ? Can anyone explain or is yet another case of 'extrapolate to infinity' to meet someone's vested interest.

Sorry for calling you a Labour supporter - a genuine mistake. But it does not alter the substance of my post.

"And btw there are no shortage of capacity crunches on the transport networks now but they're not getting £40-50bn thrown at them."

No, they're not getting £50 billion thrown at them over twenty years (HS2). They're getting £37.5 billion thrown at them between 2014 and 2019. Funded by borrowing by Network Rail, with the loans back by government guarantee. Yuck. But this figure is just Network Rail - it does not include the investment the train companies are making, for instance in rolling stock.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20938280

As for the growth in rail usage, the projections show an increase in both passenger and freight traffic. The reasons for the increase over the last two decades are clouded by politics, but have happened.

The problem is that we have had sixty years of managed decline in the rail network. That was fine whilst traffic decreased; it is unsustainable now traffic is increasing.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    If Cameron wants to avoid a conflict with his Green branding the obvious thing to do is to double-down on the greenery. Remove the green/social levies from energy bills, pay for them from general taxation, and then double their planned budgets.

Given that most of the increase in energy bills over the last decade has been due to increases in the market price of gas, then the political argument can be made that this is the only way to avoid future increases in fossil fuel prices from increasing energy bills in the future. With China and India still industrialising rapidly there is surely only one direction for fossil fuel prices, and it isn't down.

Cameron has certainly painted himself into a corner here, and often the only way out of a tight spot is with some bold action
  • Options
    OT - but good news for those who enjoy a poached egg on buttered toast:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/23/butter-bad-saturated-fat-healthy-eating-industry

I had missed the dropping of the stricture on eggs from 'no more than two a week' to 'form part of a balanced diet'....bit like a Daily Mail retraction.....
  • Options
    SNP being laid at Betfair at 6.2

Paddy Power cut their LAB price to 1.17

Ladbrokes still 1.2
  • Options
    Roger said:

@AR

"And congratulations Josias you are the most intelligent PBer so far to accuse me of being a Labour supporter."

In that case I can think of only one other PBer who might be the guilty party.

I disagree with your comments on logos, Roger old boy, surely the best logo is Ed's policy list, a Rothko collage of white on white on white.
  • Options
    As a frequent user of the Manchester Piccadilly to Euston Service, John Redwood and some of you is talking rubbish.

They should use the HS2 money to improve the Northern intercity routes such as Sheffield to Manchester.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,925
    Abbot, Huhne rumoured for the jungle...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,925

As a frequent user of the Manchester Piccadilly to Euston Service, John Redwood and some of you is talking rubbish.

They should use the HS2 money to improve the Northern intercity routes such as Sheffield to Manchester.

HERE HERE !
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited October 2013
    Crikey! That didn't last long! PP have literally within minutes gone from 1.2 to 1.17 to 1.1

Must be a heck of a lot of money piling onto LAB this morning. Let's see if it is very wise money or very daft money.

It takes a lang spoon tae sup wi a Fifer.
  • Options
    F1: just Twitter rumours for now (although last year Twitter did me a great service when Hamilton got the penalty to lose pole in Spain), but some are saying Maldonado will leave Williams, and join Lotus.

That'd be very unwelcome, if it happened. However, it does back up, I think, what Joe Saward wrote regarding Lotus' efforts with a big money sponsor (ie if it comes off they'll go for Hulkenberg, if not, Maldonado's money).

Still not sure when I'll put up the pre-qualifying piece (India has awkward P3/qualifying times), but the early discussion is up here: http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/india-early-discussion.html
  • Options
    SNP now at 6.8 at Betfair
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

If Cameron wants to avoid a conflict with his Green branding the obvious thing to do is to double-down on the greenery. Remove the green/social levies from energy bills, pay for them from general taxation, and then double their planned budgets.

Given that most of the increase in energy bills over the last decade has been due to increases in the market price of gas, then the political argument can be made that this is the only way to avoid future increases in fossil fuel prices from increasing energy bills in the future. With China and India still industrialising rapidly there is surely only one direction for fossil fuel prices, and it isn't down.

Cameron has certainly painted himself into a corner here, and often the only way out of a tight spot is with some bold action

Can someone sort out the shambles that is the Green Deal also?
This discussion has been closed.