Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » I’d feel a lot more comfortable about the Brexit negotiations

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    viewcode said:

Chancellor Osborne in October 2015(?) announced changes in stamp duty for landlords six months in advance. This caused a noticable spike in house prices for those six months. Ths was an unforced error that was entirely predictable, as the exact same mistake had been made by Chancellor Nigel Lawson in 1987(?).

Osborne is also responsible for the misbegotten and various "Help To Buy" schemes, which by pumping money into a market with inflexible supply, causes nothing but inflation.

Both of these are mistakes which somebody who claims to be a) an adult and b) a Conservative should not be making. But he did them and for some unfathomable reason nobody has punched him repeatedly in the face.

The man is utterly incompetent

We actually agree on something!
  • Options
    Are you not entertained?
    Are you not entertained?
    Is this not why you are here?

:)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,831

viewcode said:

Chancellor Osborne in October 2015(?) announced changes in stamp duty for landlords six months in advance. This caused a noticable spike in house prices for those six months. Ths was an unforced error that was entirely predictable, as the exact same mistake had been made by Chancellor Nigel Lawson in 1987(?).

Osborne is also responsible for the misbegotten and various "Help To Buy" schemes, which by pumping money into a market with inflexible supply, causes nothing but inflation.

Both of these are mistakes which somebody who claims to be a) an adult and b) a Conservative should not be making. But he did them and for some unfathomable reason nobody has punched him repeatedly in the face.

We actually agree on something!
    I shall immediately re-examine my argument to see where I went wrong... :)
  • Options
    Sitting on the train at Kings X after a most enjoyable PB meet up. Thanks to @Mortimer for organising and mega thanks to @GeoffM for putting some money behind the bar.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    tlg86 said:

Tim Farron says A50 is revocable - is this the case?

There is disagreement. But the question will not arise for many a reason.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Watching the BBC Ten on A50.

The idea this can be reversed, now, is absolutely insane. It would take a massive massive climbdown from both sides.

It would take something cataclysmic, when the fact is even a terrible outcome for both sides will not, in the immediacy, be so terrible as to make public opinion as to give the politicians on all sides the will to make such a massive climbdown.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    In Brussels at the moment (discussion on animal experiment regulations). The Macron/Valls story leading the French-speaking news but A50 is second - just a few clips, though, and factual summaries of the difficult issues ahead. Macron was asked his view - said blandly (as is his wont) that the task was not to punish Britain but to benefit Europe. My favourite channel Euronews (no irritating ego-newscasters, and much broader coverage than the BBC or Sky) interviewed various Brits in Germany and EU citizens in Britain worried about their status. But it's all being treated as a fairly routine story, presumably because it's been expected for months.
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361

Sitting on the train at Kings X after a most enjoyable PB meet up. Thanks to @Mortimer for organising and mega thanks to @GeoffM for putting some money behind the bar.

Yes great fun. Many thanks Mortimer. And GeorrM, thanks, your request was honoured.
  • Options
    Article 50 day - celebrate it how it should (proper envelope ceremony) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaBdajHOsSM
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Yeah, I'm a rightwinger, but the idea Osborne is some political genius is just dim. Boringly idiotic.

He's a fairly clever, very well educated posho. There's a lot of them. Trouble is, they often lack common sense, tactical nous, innate smarts, and vital cunning. And they fatally overrate themselves, thanks to social background.

e.g. David bloody Cameron

I'd have been a better PM than Cameron, and I'm a frothing, oversexed, functional alcoholic thriller writer who went to Aylestone Comprehensive.
    To be clear Mike isn't saying that Osborne is awesome. He is just saying he is better than Dickie Davis and Dr Fox. This is not hard.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Yeah, I'm a rightwinger, but the idea Osborne is some political genius is just dim. Boringly idiotic.

He's a fairly clever, very well educated posho. There's a lot of them. Trouble is, they often lack common sense, tactical nous, innate smarts, and vital cunning. And they fatally overrate themselves, thanks to social background.

I'd have been a better PM than Cameron, and I'm a frothing, oversexed, functional alcoholic thriller writer who went to Aylestone Comprehensive.
    To be clear Mike isn't saying that Osborne is awesome. He is just saying he is better than Dickie Davis and Dr Fox. This is not hard.
    Mike should dream on. He's living in fantasy land :p
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

At least Davis will get back some powers regardless of what happens, which is more than can be said for Cameron and Osborne last year!
  • Options

Mike should dream on. He's living in fantasy land :p

No Mike speaks truth. May's Brexit B team are rubbish.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

At least Davis will get back some powers regardless of what happens, which is more than can be said for Cameron and Osborne last year!
    Paper powers, but no actual power.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Grown adults, successful, with access to the finest advice available and not under pressure of time, can, by virtue of pride, carelessness, peer pressure or simple boredom, make the most catastrophic of errors.

I'm reading Hasting's book on the Korean War. Via the Inchon landings, MacArthur and the US/UN forces beat back in quick order the North Korean invaders. They could have stopped there, declared a victory, gone home. But they advanced up to the Chinese border, the Chinese got involved and the deaths mounted...

It puts George Bush the Elder and Gulf War I into perspective. Define objectives, assemble resources, stop when the war is won. They killed so many Iraqis they were embarrassed, came home victors. But when Bush I is remembered, it is as a one-term President who vomited into a lap.

I will never understand my fellow human beings...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Paper powers, but no actual power.
    Power to control our borders and determine our own future, whatever it may be it will be in our own hands, we may perhaps eventually in time return to the single market but we will never again be part of the EU
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Well exactly. I'd say he is better than Fox, but worse than Davis.

My honest, mildly informed opinion is that Bojo is brighter than all of them.
    BoJo is bright. But not to be trusted. He uses long words, when short ones will do.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    viewcode said:

Help to Buy was a way of buying Conservative votes with government money at the cost of long term damage to the country.

Ditto Triple Lock Pensions.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Legally, possibly - not clear.

Politically about as reversible as the Anglo-Irish Treaty.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Grown adults, successful, with access to the finest advice available and not under pressure of time, can, by virtue of pride, carelessness, peer pressure or simple boredom, make the most catastrophic of errors.

I'm reading Hasting's book on the Korean War. Via the Inchon landings, MacArthur and the US/UN forces beat back in quick order the North Korean invaders. They could have stopped there, declared a victory, gone home. But they advanced up to the Chinese border, the Chinese got involved and the deaths mounted...

It puts George Bush the Elder and Gulf War I into perspective. Define objectives, assemble resources, stop when the war is won. They killed so many Iraqis they were embarrassed, came home victors. But when Bush I is remembered, it is as a one-term President who vomited into a lap.

George HW Bush had a 64% approval rating in a 2010 Gallup poll
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/145064/Kennedy-Highest-Rated-Modern-President-Nixon-Lowest.aspx
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    Fat_Steve said:

Yes great fun. Many thanks Mortimer. And GeorrM, thanks, your request was honoured.
    Seconded. Good meeting you all.

Re: thread header - I'm not a social media aficionado; is there an emoticon for "dies choking on his own blood after having coughed up a lung through hysterical laughter"?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Aylestone Comprehensive:

"It gets GCSE results slightly below the average for Herefordshire and England."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aylestone_Business_and_Enterprise_College
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

viewcode said:

Help to Buy was a way of buying Conservative votes with government money at the cost of long term damage to the country.

That's not to say HTB and TLP are unique as electoral bribes.

All governments do that, the only differences are who they chose to bribe, how much they chose to bribe and how successful the bribing is.

And how much long term damage the bribing does.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

viewcode said:

That's not to say HTB and TLP are unique as electoral bribes.

All governments do that, the only differences are who they chose to bribe, how much they chose to bribe and how successful the bribing is.

And how much long term damage the bribing does.
    Landlord benefit is my personal favourite.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/145064/Kennedy-Highest-Rated-Modern-President-Nixon-Lowest.aspx
    Good, I'm glad... :)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Aylestone Comprehensive:

"It gets GCSE results slightly below the average for Herefordshire and England."

Although SeanT is listed amongst 'notable former pupils'
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    glw said:

Essexit said:

The master strategist who lost the Tories the 2010 GE, was sidelined for 2015 GE where the big boys were brought in to get the job done, lost the EU referundum & author of so omnishambles budgets I lost count.

Where has this reputation as an elite political operator come from? He is a poundshop peter mandelson.

The fact that he's considered some kind of giant by a hardcore Lib Dem Remainer says it all, really.
    It's quite something when people on the left who hated Osborne for "austerity" are now singing his praises. Brexit has sent some people round the twist.
    It's not quite something when you define the left properly i.e. so as to exclude supporters of a political party that was quite content to go into coalition with Osborne.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Am I alone in secretly fancing Laura Kuenssberg?

OK, not so secretly now.

Nah, I do too.
    Thirded. She reminds me of my first serious girlfriend. Thanks to all who came this evening and especially @Mortimer for organising and @GeoffM for the money behind the bar - we did toast the Gibraltar Leavers in your honour! A delight to meet so many fellow PBers.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

Aylestone Comprehensive:

Bog standard comp. Used to be Hereford High School for Boys and Girls, i.e. the grammar school - the best state school in the county. I joined the year it went comprehensive, and I saw it decline, from specially printed rugby fixture lists, to a kind of apathetic This'll Do where they barely played competitive sports at all.

It's one of the reasons I am mildly in favour of grammar schools (tho I see the downsides)

More positively, I escaped this declining bollocks and went to the (then new) Hereford Sixth Form College, which was weirdly marvellous, and tolerantly encouraging of bright but rebellious spirits like me (I was expelled for a week for gambling in the common room, but just a week). Thank God for them. They got me into UCL

http://www.hereford.ac.uk/why-choose-us/academic-success/
    Having lived in Hereford for a few years, I believe The Bishop of Hereford's Bluecoat School is now the best state school there after the independent Hereford Cathedral School
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Good, I'm glad... :)
    Only Kennedy, Reagan and Clinton beat him in that poll and I expect Obama would now be on about the same rating
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

Aylestone Comprehensive:

Bog standard comp. Used to be Hereford High School for Boys and Girls, i.e. the grammar school - the best state school in the county. I joined the year it went comprehensive, and I saw it decline, from specially printed rugby fixture lists, to a kind of apathetic This'll Do where they barely played competitive sports at all.

It's one of the reasons I am mildly in favour of grammar schools (tho I see the downsides)

More positively, I escaped this declining bollocks and went to the (then new) Hereford Sixth Form College, which was weirdly marvellous, and tolerantly encouraging of bright but rebellious spirits like me (I was expelled for a week for gambling in the common room, but just a week). Thank God for them. They got me into UCL

http://www.hereford.ac.uk/why-choose-us/academic-success/
    Having lived in Hereford for a few years, I believe The Bishop of Hereford's Bluecoat School is now the best state school there after the independent Hereford Cathedral School
    Yep, you're right. And Bluecoats was definitely seen as inferior in my day. Sad.
    Yes, it was formed by merging two CofE secondary moderns
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Some info about the 4 April debate in France, which will (probably) be the only one that features all 11 candidates.

After a minute each on "Who are you?", the three themes will be

* employment
    * security
    * each candidate's social model

They'll finish by saying how they plan to unite the people.

Mobile phones will be banned, but before each theme opens the candidates will get six minutes to confer with their teams.

Elabe will then poll viewers - those who are still awake - on who they found most convincing.

PS Mélenchon is doing well in today's two polls. He's practically snapping at Fillon's heels.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    The Sun starting as they mean to go on:

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/847201723110379520
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

OK, not so secretly now.

Nah, I do too.
    Thirded. She reminds me of my first serious girlfriend. Thanks to all who came this evening and especially @Mortimer for organising and @GeoffM for the money behind the bar - we did toast the Gibraltar Leavers in your honour! A delight to meet so many fellow PBers.
    Kudos!

Thanks very much @GeoffM - that was really kind of you and much appreciated by us Leavers in the heart of the Metropolis!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

I am not at all convinced by that.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,465
    I just finished watching the Brexit interviews.

May was short on substance, but at the moment she can wave away pretty much everything with the excuse that "this is a matter for negotiations but I broadly want [X]". She has the luxury of that line for some time to come. It will be interesting when things finally become more concrete and she has to justify the deals struck. But we're not there yet, and she didn't frighten the horses, so she didn't hurt herself tonight.

I thought Corbyn (amazingly) came across as measured, polite and reasonably well informed. I disagree with pretty much everything he says, but tonight was a big change from his usual prickly interview style accompanied by unforced errors left-right-and-centre. I mean, at 18 points behind in the polls, I'm not sure one good interview makes much difference, but credit where credit's due.

I wonder if the Lib Dems are ever going to move beyond the referendum debate. At some point they are surely going to have to engage with Brexit rather than demanding a second vote and wringing their hands. I suppose at the moment there's probably a good number of people out there who identify with the sentiments they express, but I wonder how much longer they can keep this up without looking like they're burying their head in the sand.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

I have been pleasantly surprised by David Davis, and feel reasonably confident about Boris Johnson. I have never been a fan of Dr Fox, and his recent pronouncement about an FTA with Israel (with which we already have an FTA through the Euromed agreements) broadly confirm my views that he is a man unaware of his own limitations.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    Yet another ludicrous thread header. The triggering of Article 50 seems to have coincidentally lobotomised the most extreme Remainers.
  • Options

May was short on substance, but at the moment she can wave away pretty much everything with the excuse that "this is a matter for negotiations but I broadly want [X]". She has the luxury of that line for some time to come. It will be interesting when things finally become more concrete and she has to justify the deals struck. But we're not there yet, and she didn't frighten the horses, so she didn't hurt herself tonight.

I thought Corbyn (amazingly) came across as measured, polite and reasonably well informed. I disagree with pretty much everything he says, but tonight was a big change from his usual prickly interview style accompanied by unforced errors left-right-and-centre. I mean, at 18 points behind in the polls, I'm not sure one good interview makes much difference, but credit where credit's due.

I wonder if the Lib Dems are ever going to move beyond the referendum debate. At some point they are surely going to have to engage with Brexit rather than demanding a second vote and wringing their hands. I suppose at the moment there's probably a good number of people out there who identify with the sentiments they express, but I wonder how much longer they can keep this up without looking like they're burying their head in the sand.

They represent the bitter Enders of Remain.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

I have been pleasantly surprised by David Davis, and feel reasonably confident about Boris Johnson. I have never been a fan of Dr Fox, and his recent pronouncement about an FTA with Israel (with which we already have an FTA through the Euromed agreements) broadly confirm my views that he is a man unaware of his own limitations.
    This pretty much sums up my own views, too. At least 10 back bench MPs that I'm aware of more qualified than Fox to be in that position.

Graham Brady would be brilliant, for example....
  • Options

A bit harsh on Fadi Fawaz I agree
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,136

Perhaps not the best week to mention Britain's world-beating skill on (sic) fighting terror.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

He said he thought it could be revoked if there were the political will. He is right. The 28 states could for example agree a new treaty to that effect. But that's extremely unlikely to happen.

What is more likely is that the French presidential election result leads to negotiations on France's status; and with or without a Dave's Deal Equivalent (DDE), a Frexit referendum could ensue before the end of this year. One route then is the "reform of Europe", which - paper bags at the ready - may even give a role to Tony Blair.
  • Options

Perhaps not the best week to mention Britain's world-beating skill on (sic) fighting terror.
    How many attacks on mainland Europe in the last few years?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Farron yesterday committed the LDs to campaign for the UK to return to the EU at the next general election, given at least 10% of the electorate are diehard EU Federalists and the LDs only got 8% last time that is understandable
    http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/libdem-leader-tim-farron-on-article-50-and-the-end-of-his-eu-dream-a3501111.html
  • Options

Yet another ludicrous thread header. The triggering of Article 50 seems to have coincidentally lobotomised the most extreme Remainers.

The truth can be painful.
  • Options

WTF is the Sun playing at? Backing Brexit is one thing; wanting to throw relations between Britain and EU27 into the muck is another. And this is from the newspaper that is always on the winning side. Nobody under 60 in Britain has ever voted in a general election when the Sun hasn't backed the winner. Who is playing at what here?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    I said a few months ago that security and intelligence co-operation was something we could withdraw if the EU got too uppity. Caused some surprise on here at the time as if it was below the belt.

Its a weapon, a real one.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

OK, not so secretly now.

Nah, I do too.
    Kudos!

Thanks very much @GeoffM - that was really kind of you and much appreciated by us Leavers in the heart of the Metropolis!
    I think the rest of PB needs to know that @Mortimer looks like a young - and I mean young - Quentin Letts.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The truth can be painful.
    The thing is, Osborne was intimately with the Remain campaign including bearing responsibility for some of its most outlandish claims. They lost, in part because of him. Why would we want someone clearly that incompetent responsible for the Brexit negotiations?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Newsnight has just cut a goodbye EU cake and is closing the credits with messages from people across the EU to the ET theme
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    The opportunity for cheap sloganeering from Brexiters ends today; our long journey toward Reality Checkpoint starts tomorrow.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

I said a few months ago that security and intelligence co-operation was something we could withdraw if the EU got too uppity. Caused some surprise on here at the time as if it was below the belt.

Of course security is on the table. Those who cry "mustn't use that as a bargaining counter" are naive. In the meantime, some fitting music for the discussion of this whole area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaw5Zm6EskA
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    ''Twas nice to meet some folks tonight. Cheers @Mortimer for organising & @GeoffM for drinks
  • Options

The UK has had fewer terror attacks than France and Germany over the last decade
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

OK, not so secretly now.

Nah, I do too.
    Kudos!

I think the rest of PB needs to know that @Mortimer looks like a young - and I mean young - Quentin Letts.
    Pretty much as I imagined him
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The opportunity for cheap sloganeering from Brexiters ends today; our long journey toward Reality Checkpoint starts tomorrow.

Pray, when does the same apply to Lib Dems? 'Wining here' etc....
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

OK, not so secretly now.

Nah, I do too.
    Kudos!

Oh dear, this is not going to discourage tyson...
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Cyan said:

WTF is the Sun playing at? Backing Brexit is one thing; wanting to throw relations between Britain and EU27 into the muck is another. And this is from the newspaper that is always on the winning side. Nobody under 60 in Britain has ever voted in a general election when the Sun hasn't backed the winner. Who is playing at what here?
    May's letter today was very polite and conciliatory as an opener but she has to be prepared to be a ruthless bitch over the next 2 years if necessary, which is why it is probably just as well she got the job rather than Boris or Leadsom as I don't think they have it in them (for that matter neither did Cameron)
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

A very real one.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    Brexiteer Richard North says May is barking mad and has signed the death warrant of Brexit:

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86427
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997
    DavidL said:

Corbyn on now with Andrew Neil BBC1

Not in Scotland. We have some prat called Russell talking about, surprise, surprise, a referendum.
    A lot better than Neil licking the PM's butt
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

OK, not so secretly now.

Nah, I do too.
    Kudos!

Way younger than I expected.
  • Options

calum said:

dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

Has Corbyn just managed to piss off The Scots and The Ulster Unionists at the same time?

That should be the SNP not Scotland as a whole on present polling
    Sounds as if he has upset the Nats and SLab at the same time. Smart guy, is Jeremy, could go far.
    FWIW I think's SLAB's united front will crumble as they are increasingly look like Tory stoodges
    chortle

reduced to name calling

tell us what your going to do for an economy
    Same as England Alan
  • Options

Brexiteer Richard North says May is barking mad and has signed the death warrant of Brexit:

North is a fanatical adherent to his own view of what Brexit should be and will allow no deviation from that view. He is more of a fanatic in his own way than even you are. I actually share his vision of what Brexit shuld be - effectively a modified Norway model - but the way in which he attacks anyone who has the slightest difference of opinion from him makes him almost Remainiac in his attitudes.

His blog has spent far more time over the years attacking fellow anti-EU campaigners than it has the EU or its supporters.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

OK, not so secretly now.

See a shrink
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    To all of those who went for drinks tonight - I really wish I could have joined you and I hope to meet all of you in the future. But this night could not go past unmarked.

Cheers! @Mortimer @isam @Tissue_Price @Fat_Steve @Hertsmere_Pubgoer and everyone else.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Cyan said:

FFS, let us have our fun (for the next five years), we had to suck up europhile sneering and jeering for about FORTY FUCKING YEARS

We want the europhiles to weep and sob. We want to hear the lamentations of their women, we want to take away their slaves and turn them into pets, even as we fully intend to gas their pets to death. Because we have conquered. We triumphed. We are the champions.

In the end, we won, because they played it so badly, they destroyed themselves. FUCKING WANKERS, HAHAHAHAHAHA

In all seriousness, the sight of Lord Heseltine nearly in tears on Newsnight GAVE ME THE HORN

Blair, Mandelson, Osborne, Heseltine, Cameron, Major, Ashdown, Clegg, they have dominated the political leadership of this country for almost 30 years and they are all losers today
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    As I understand the government's position it is "maximum possible access to the single market, given maximum control over immigration."

As I understand George Osborne's position it is "maximum possible control over immigration, given maximum access to the single market."

I do not see that these positions are reconcilable. Thus there is no place for George Osborne in May's Ministry.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Cyan said:

FFS, let us have our fun (for the next five years), we had to suck up europhile sneering and jeering for about FORTY FUCKING YEARS

We want the europhiles to weep and sob. We want to hear the lamentations of their women, we want to take away their slaves and turn them into pets, even as we fully intend to gas their pets to death. Because we have conquered. We triumphed. We are the champions.

In the end, we won, because they played it so badly, they destroyed themselves. FUCKING WANKERS, HAHAHAHAHAHA

In all seriousness, the sight of Lord Heseltine nearly in tears on Newsnight GAVE ME THE HORN

Blair, Mandelson, Osborne, Heseltine, Cameron, Major, Ashdown, Clegg, they have dominated the political leadership of this country for almost 30 years and they are all losers today
    Blair, Mandelson, OSBORNE, Heseltine, Cameron, Major, ASHDOWN, Clegg, STURGEON......you took a hell of a beating today....
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Sean_F said:

Y0kel said:

A very real one.

No, it's not. Imagine a terrorist attack occuring in the UK that could have been prevented if May had not withdrawn cooperation. Indeed, imagine Brits, or anyone else for that matter, being killed in an attack abroad for the same reason. This is bluff and bluster designed only to assuage right wing newspapers on a day when it became absolutely clear the government has very few negotiating aces up its sleeves. There is no way on God's earth that a UK Prime Minister will deliberately make UK citizens less secure.

• Options
    "Now we are free"
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Cyan said:

They have lost a political argument. On a personal level they are wealthy and will see no ill-effects from Brexit. All the risk is being borne by those much lower down the ladder.

• Options
    SeanT said:

"In war: resolution. In defeat: defiance. In victory: magnanimity. In peace: goodwill." - Churchill

Stay classy, Sean.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

To all of those who went for drinks tonight - I really wish I could have joined you and I hope to meet all of you in the future. But this night could not go past unmarked.

Cheers! @Mortimer @isam @Tissue_Price @Fat_Steve @Hertsmere_Pubgoer and everyone else.

I have to ask: is Fat_Steve actually fat?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

GeoffM said:

Tall is far more accurate than fat.
  • Options
    Hope everyone's filling their boots on the odds against side of these bets.

'IndyRef2 odds: Scotland odds-on to vote for independence in second Scottish Independence Referendum

..Although the UK government insists a second referendum on Scottish Independence will be blocked until after the Brexit process has been completed, bookmakers William Hill make it just 8/15 that IndyRef2 takes place before the end of 2020.

Hill's spokesman Graham Sharpe told BetOnPolitics.co.uk: "'The first Scottish Referendum set a new political betting record when over £10million was gambled on the outcome industry-wide, and the next one already looks set to produce a bigger turnover than that."

At time of writing, the same firm make it 4/6 that when the Scottish Referendum does take place, Scotland will vote in favour of Independence (11/10 that the country votes against independence).'

http://tinyurl.com/l6wjch4
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Y0kel said:

A very real one.

No, it's not. Imagine a terrorist attack occuring in the UK that could have been prevented if May had not withdrawn cooperation. Indeed, imagine Brits, or anyone else for that matter, being killed in an attack abroad for the same reason. This is bluff and bluster designed only to assuage right wing newspapers on a day when it became absolutely clear the government has very few negotiating aces up its sleeves. There is no way on God's earth that a UK Prime Minister will deliberately make UK citizens less secure.

Naive. We already curate our intelligence with regards to our EU allies. Do you honestly imagine we hand over everything we know to Bucharest and Bulgaria, in the same way we deal with Paris and Berlin?

Of course not. We trust some more, others less, and the Americans trust us to assess, correctly, who should know what, when.

We are good at this. They need us. We use it. Hardball.

You had us at 'naive', tbh....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited March 2017
    Can you imagine how boring it would be if you were a bookie and all the people who lost a bet to you got to go all round the houses trying to justify how they were right really and it's just that the result didn't go their way?

Zzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    On a final note this evening. We really should have taken a photo of us raising our glasses. Apologies to @GeoffM for this
  • Options
    viewcode said:

SeanT said:

"In war: resolution. In defeat: defiance. In victory: magnanimity. In peace: goodwill." - Churchill

Stay classy, Sean.
    Sunil: I'm ready, man. Check it out! I am the ultimate Brexiteer! State of the Brexiteer art! You do NOT want to fuck with me. Check it out! Hey, Viewcode, don't worry! Me and my squad of ultimate Brexiteers will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle-beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase plasma pulse rifles, RPGs. We got sonic, electronic ball-breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...

Viewcode: Knock it off, Sunil!
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    "What we will be able to do is set those rules".
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Y0kel said:

A very real one.

Naive. We already curate our intelligence with regards to our EU allies. Do you honestly imagine we hand over everything we know to Bucharest and Bulgaria, in the same way we deal with Paris and Berlin?

Of course not. We trust some more, others less, and the Americans trust us to assess, correctly, who should know what, when.

Naive. We need info, too. We need people detained and watched, movements noted, airwave and internet traffic communicated. This is bluff and bluster. No UK PM would ever increase the risk of an attack occuring. Working less effectively with the Europeans would do just that. Imagine the memo leaks here and across the Channel after an attack. This "threat" was designed solely for what it is getting tonight from the Sun.

• Options

"Now we are free"

I know the Brexiters want to sell us out, but surely we're not free. We're worth more than that.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

OK, not so secretly now.

See a shrink
    I know, I know

But she had this hint of cleavage in her latest TV report. It was disconcerting. For the first time ever, I thought, ooh, hello, mmmm

Blame late middle age, and too much Barolo
    Should've gone to Specsavers :lol:
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,956
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Y0kel said:

A very real one.

Didn't we vote for an end to freedom of movement of intelligence?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

GeoffM said:

He is a grotesque slag heap of a man.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

Hope everyone's filling their boots on the odds against side of these bets.

'IndyRef2 odds: Scotland odds-on to vote for independence in second Scottish Independence Referendum

..Although the UK government insists a second referendum on Scottish Independence will be blocked until after the Brexit process has been completed, bookmakers William Hill make it just 8/15 that IndyRef2 takes place before the end of 2020.

Hill's spokesman Graham Sharpe told BetOnPolitics.co.uk: "'The first Scottish Referendum set a new political betting record when over £10million was gambled on the outcome industry-wide, and the next one already looks set to produce a bigger turnover than that."

At time of writing, the same firm make it 4/6 that when the Scottish Referendum does take place, Scotland will vote in favour of Independence (11/10 that the country votes against independence).'

http://tinyurl.com/l6wjch4

Prediction. There won't be a Scottish indyref2 until the transitional Brexit is over, and HMG can say: here's the deal. That means something like 2023 at the earliest, given the need for a campaign etc.

That's a huge amount of time, when so many variables are in play.

The value right now is NO. These are significantly generous odds.
    Likesay, fill your boots.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Watching Theresa's interview with Andrew Neil. Very good.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,730

North is a fanatical adherent to his own view of what Brexit should be and will allow no deviation from that view. He is more of a fanatic in his own way than even you are. I actually share his vision of what Brexit shuld be - effectively a modified Norway model - but the way in which he attacks anyone who has the slightest difference of opinion from him makes him almost Remainiac in his attitudes.

His blog has spent far more time over the years attacking fellow anti-EU campaigners than it has the EU or its supporters.
    I would say he is simply exposing the contradictions of the Brexit argument. Including his own arguments...
  • Options
    viewcode said:

SeanT said:

Stay classy, Sean.
    We have not won anything yet, from the EU's perspective the battle has been lost but the war can still be won
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Cyan said:

Blair, Mandelson, OSBORNE, Heseltine, Cameron, Major, ASHDOWN, Clegg, STURGEON......you took a hell of a beating today....
    Pretty much
  • Options
    The key has always been the public accepting missing targets on immigration for various reasons. Will Brexit actually happening, the feel of it, be enough to satisfy many people who do care about immigration (which includes many remainers as well as most though not all leavers) even if it is not the total fix some hoped it would be?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Cyan said:

Utter, utter losers. You don't get more losery than this, other than losing a world war and seeing your country vanquished and occupied

Everything they believed in has been taken away, and trashed. It's all over. It must be acutely painful for rich, aged, privileged people like Heseltine and Clarke, who always felt they were on the incoming tide of history, then suddenly seeing, at the very end of their lives and careers, everything overturned, and that all they did was for absolutely nothing. Their entire lives were literally wasted.

LOL
    I think Lord Heseltine was almost weeping for the legacy of his political career too
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Y0kel said:

A very real one.

Naive. We need info, too. We need people detained and watched, movements noted, airwave and internet traffic communicated. This is bluff and bluster. No UK PM would ever increase the risk of an attack occuring. Working less effectively with the Europeans would do just that. Imagine the memo leaks here and across the Channel after an attack. This "threat" was designed solely for what it is getting tonight from the Sun.

With Trump in the White House, and America in historical retreat from global policing and western security, given her relatively weakening economic position (Trump is a symptom of this, not a cause), then, yes, we have a big card to play. We are one of the last serious western military powers, willing to shed blood.

If I was, say, an Estonian MEP, I would think, Do I want to "economically damage" nuclear armed liberal Britain, or shall I be nice to them, in case we REALLY need them onside?

Everything is changing. Play the card. But play it subtly. Which is what TMay has done.

There is nothing subtle about the Sun's headline. A Russian attack on any EU member state would be a catastrophe for the UK - markets would crash, for a start. Trump's complete untrustworthiness and willingness to sell the UK down the river when it suits him makes us more reliant on security cooperation with the Europeans, not less. This "threat" is a carrot thrown at the right to keep it onside. It's willy waving, nothing more.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,730
    SeanT said:

The question is whether it is sensible to put security co-operation into play as a bargaining chip. At one level, I would say, why not if it's a benefit we're giving them. However, security is closely linked to trust and confidence. If you trade away that trust and confidence, security loses all the currency it has. And it undoubtedly plays both ways. Our would-be partners will look elsewhere.

We need to play the security card very carefully. It looks to have been very clumsily played today, hence the push-back.

This discussion has been closed.