Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the opposition leader wasn’t so feeble May/Hammond would fi

Comments

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited March 2017
    Scott_P said:

This is going to give some people ideas...

https://twitter.com/repeattofade/status/839523392541847552

Fake news -- or misleading anyway. It's some random Republican in Congress aiui.

Edit: here it is:
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1275/text
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Pulpstar said:
    Wasn't that the point? I'm always a bit puzzled when governments create economic incentives and then complain when people take them up and buy diesel cars, go self-employed or install solar panels.
    Has VED changed ?

My Peugeot 207 diesel still £30 a year :) ?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

Mr. Eagles attacking the Conservative Budget, Mr. Roger defending it. Are the End Times upon us?

I criticised the 2012 budget.
    bandwagonner
    Check out my edit.
    you were just too late getting on the George is crap ticket
    Nah, George is awesome. Today has convinced me more than ever he's going to be our next leader (and hopefully next PM)
    chortle

no chance

toxic George just kills off that urge to vote blue

Georgemy Corborne
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited March 2017
    Elizabeth Herridge‏ @HeresHerridge 59s60 seconds ago

Elizabeth Herridge Retweeted Press Association

In just 1 day I've felt valued as a #woman, yet entirely undervalued as a #selfemployed #businesswoman #Budget2017 #IWD2017

https://twitter.com/HeresHerridge/status/839527963594993664
    She's a freelance video producer from London.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

There was of course a chap who wrote not so long ago about the Conservatives having headed leftwards economically and rightwards socially:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/02/17/the-return-of-butskellism/

The thesis was objected to on about 15 different mutually contradictory grounds but it still looks fair enough to me.

Looks like they are taking Ed Miliband's economic policies and Nigel Farage's social ones. But when push comes to shove, Milibandism wins - immigration has to stay high for the Tories to deliver.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    It seems that I am back on the eagles ignore list,must attack cameron/osborne falsely more often ;-)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited March 2017

So this Tory government that says it wants to drastically reduce immigration - and is prioritising that over retaining single market membership - is actually reliant on continuing high levels of immigration to keep the economy afloat.

185k would be a drastic reduction!!!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

How things have changed with the Lib Dems now irrelevant and invisible at budget time.

You almost miss dear old uncle Vince and his homilies don't you? Almost.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

On topic - with a decent leader of the opposition the entire political landscape would look very different. In fact, the likelihood is that had Labour had a leader who did not support leaving the EU, David Cameron would still be Prime Minister.

I suppose we must give Dave some slack. In all the hours spent weighing up the pros and cons for calling a referendum, surely 'Jeremy Corbyn as Labour Leader' never featured in the calculation.
    That was a remarkable stroke of good luck.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Elizabeth Herridge‏ @HeresHerridge 59s60 seconds ago

Elizabeth Herridge Retweeted Press Association

In just 1 day I've felt valued as a #woman, yet entirely undervalued as a #selfemployed #businesswoman #Budget2017 #IWD2017

twitter.com/HeresHerridge/status/839527963594993664

I wonder how much this 1% (going up to 2% in later years) will actually cost her?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

It seems that I am back on the eagles ignore list,must attack cameron/osborne falsely more often ;-)

Eagles still hasnt got over it

7 years of kissing butt only to find its the wrong butt :-)
  • Options

No one is on my ignore list
  • Options

bring back James Kelly
  • Options

I thought my incessant demands for an AV thread would have honoured me with inclusion on that list. :)
  • Options

bring back James Kelly
    He who must not be named... :o
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    A "close friend" of mine may well be attacking this 'shabby NI increase & attack on hard working van drivers' "For what it is" for the next two months by the way :D
  • Options

Isam and me for starters.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    On International Women's Day, one for the writers around here.....

Nichols sent out 50 queries under her male pseudonym in total, and got 17 requests from agents – both men and women – asking for her full manuscript. She writes:

"He [her male pseudonym] is eight and a half times better than me at writing the same book. Fully a third of the agents who saw his query wanted to see more, where my numbers never did shift from one in 25"

https://www.indy100.com/article/female-author-male-pseudonym-agent-published-books-crazy-novels-7547666

(Disclaimer: I am not a literary author, although sometimes coding does feel like a work of art....)
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    The budget can't be that bad if the Daily Express is not singing its praises. :lol:
  • Options

So this Tory government that says it wants to drastically reduce immigration - and is prioritising that over retaining single market membership - is actually reliant on continuing high levels of immigration to keep the economy afloat.

Yes. Nothing about "Leave" makes any sense to me. My cupboard is now fully stocked with a couple of years supply of popcorn so I can now survive the Zombie Apocalypse or the screams of frustrated Brexiteers, whichever comes first.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited March 2017

bring back James Kelly

You're all on my ignore list. Me and Plato thought we were the only ones posting
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Oh gawd.. are we going to have millions of 2015 election campaign tweets now?
    Yes. Turn about is fair play.

But that they said it then does not make it unjustifiable now, but that would take more effort than i suspect they are willing to put in.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mrs C, that can be a problem. There are far more male fantasy/sci-fi writers than women. However, the reverse is true for romantic fiction, yet nobody seems to care.

There are also initiatives specifically to help women:
    https://twitter.com/Cavetraveller/status/839472761013735426
  • Options

On International Women's Day, one for the writers around here.....

Nichols sent out 50 queries under her male pseudonym in total, and got 17 requests from agents – both men and women – asking for her full manuscript. She writes:

"He [her male pseudonym] is eight and a half times better than me at writing the same book. Fully a third of the agents who saw his query wanted to see more, where my numbers never did shift from one in 25"

https://www.indy100.com/article/female-author-male-pseudonym-agent-published-books-crazy-novels-7547666

(Disclaimer: I am not a literary author, although sometimes coding does feel like a work of art....)

Sean T is a woman
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, James Boswell is the only real woman in writing now.

And that's just because she wants to get into Austen's breeches.
  • Options
    Roger said:

bring back James Kelly

You're all on my ignore list. I thought there was only me and Plato posting!
    Lol
  • Options
    Roger said:

bring back James Kelly

In case you missed it

http://www.ludlow.org.uk/events.asp

I thought "Fly fishing for Free " could be useful for you in Soho
  • Options

bring back James Kelly
    I'll ask the powers that be.
  • Options

I think he got me angry at the time just before the EU referendum for turning sides,he must have taken it personally ;-)

Little old me ;-)
  • Options

I think he got me angry at the time just before the EU referendum for turning sides,he must have taken it personally ;-)

Little old me ;-)
    You were always voting Leave.

I never take anything on here personally, remember when some people accused you of being a racist, and I told them they were talking bollocks?
  • Options
    F1: BBC live feed from half an hour ago:
    "Looks like Alonso has come out fighting to the Spanish media. "The team are all ready to win except Honda," they quote him saying. Ouch"
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    I don't think we should be censoring the internet simply to meet the demands of highly profitable corporate behemoths
  • Options

Mrs C, that can be a problem. There are far more male fantasy/sci-fi writers than women. However, the reverse is true for romantic fiction, yet nobody seems to care.

Men writing romantic fiction???? I am shocked. :)

• Options
    edited March 2017
    This line about people becoming self employed to avoid tax makes absolutely no sense. Anyone who is serious about minimising their tax will has setup a limited company which is far more tax efficient than the self employed structure. Half the IT industry does this.

The differences in employee and self-employed rates of taxation seem reasonable to me given the lack of holiday/sick pay and other employment rights.
  • Options

I don't think we should be censoring the internet simply to meet the demands of highly profitable corporate behemoths
    I'm a strong believer in copyright.

Would you go into HMV and steal a boxset?
  • Options

False analogy. Have you ever recorded a TV show?
  • Options

Little old me ;-)

I never take anything on here personally, remember when some people accused you of being a racist, and I told them they were talking bollocks?
    (Nice little smear there)

Yes i do and i thanked you and tim at the time .

I suppose the EU referendum did cause damage to some friendly relationships on pb.
  • Options

what are you offering ?
  • Options

False analogy. Have you ever recorded a TV show?
    On my Sky box? Yes.
  • Options

Little old me ;-)

I suppose the EU referendum did cause damage to some friendly relationships on pb.
    What smear?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

There the ones I feel most sorry for in all of this.

Who speaks for the poor, put-upon, freelance video producers?
  • Options

what are you offering ?
    Six weeks at Her Majesty's pleasure?
  • Options
    Mr. Johnno, alas. There is more bitterness in politics now, and it may well get worse before it gets better.

Mrs C, men often take female pseudonyms when writing romantic fiction.
  • Options

what are you offering ?
    Six weeks at Her Majesty's pleasure?
    nah Ive already got Porridge
  • Options

This line about people becoming self employed to avoid tax makes absolutely no sense. Anyone who is serious about minimising their tax will has setup a limited company which is far more tax efficient than the self employed structure. Half the IT industry does this.

The differences in employee and self-employed rates of taxation seem reasonable to me given the lack of holiday/sick pay and other employment rights.

It's the allowances, isn't it?

All the things that PAYE people have no scope to make tax deductible.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Little old me ;-)

What smear?
    Bringing the racist insult into our little ignore question.
  • Options

Little old me ;-)

What smear?
    Bringing the racist insult into our little ignore problem.
    I keep on telling you're not ignore.
  • Options

Little old me ;-)

What smear?
    Isam ?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931

Little old me ;-)

What smear?
    Isam ?
    Don't bring me into it!
  • Options

Little old me ;-)

What smear?
    Isam ?
    I keep on telling you, no one is on my ignore list, as I don't have an ignore list.
  • Options
    isam said:

Little old me ;-)

What smear?
    Isam ?
    Don't bring me into it!
    Sorry.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Raising NICs is nothing like the pasty tax, hitting a lunchtime snack but a sensible way to ensure the self employed also make an equal contribution to social care and the NHS which they will almost all directly benefit from
  • Options
    To avoid fuelling anyone else's paranoia, I'm off to the cinema for the rest of the evening.

So you're all on the ignore list for the next few hours.
  • Options

The NI thing is such a bad idea that PB's own Scrapheap praised Mark Reckless over his criticisms on the policy.

I'm not proud of that... I'm sure I can rely on you to never remind me of this day....
  • Options

Little old me ;-)

What smear?
    Isam ?
    I keep on telling you, no one is on my ignore list, as I don't have an ignore list.
    Well great then.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited March 2017

The NI thing is such a bad idea that PB's own Scrapheap praised Mark Reckless over his criticisms on the policy.

I'm not proud of that... I'm sure I can rely on you to never remind me of this day....
    Like my tip of Matt Hancock as next Chancellor after Obsorne, we'll pretend it never happened.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    HYUFD said:

Raising NICs is nothing like the pasty tax, hitting a lunchtime snack but a sensible way to ensure the self employed also make an equal contribution to social care and the NHS which they will almost all directly benefit from

I agree the policy is fine.However the promise not to raise NI at the last GE is.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

85% will be unaffected and the remainer face an average rise of 60p per week according to Sky.

The fuss about this minor tax change shows just how suspect polls are that say the public would be happy to pay more tax for the NHS and social care. Seems to me that it is ok for a tax rise as long as it does not affect me
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642

bring back James Kelly
    James was a golden great of PB. Bring him back. And Tim. The site is much the worse without those wily campaigners.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Actually they probably don't earn as much as you think and it's a risky living.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Mr. Johnno, alas. There is more bitterness in politics now, and it may well get worse before it gets better.

Mrs C, men often take female pseudonyms when writing romantic fiction.

I do recall reading of a very shy female author who was awarded a prize and turned out (when hunted down) to be a 6 foot bloke with a beard :)
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

bring back James Kelly
    James was a golden great of PB. Bring him back. And Tim. The site is much the worse without those wily campaigners.
    I agree but any rightwing posters you like to see back ;-)
  • Options
    Apparently I am on Plato's ignore list. But no-one is on mine. A) I can't see the point of ignoring an anonymous character on an internet forum and B) I have no idea what an ignore list is.
  • Options
    Edit: I have just learned that it means: "I'm going down the pictures"
  • Options

Bojabob said:

bring back James Kelly
    HD2
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

bring back James Kelly

In case you missed it

http://www.ludlow.org.uk/events.asp

I thought "Fly fishing for Free " could be useful for you in Soho
    No way! It's messy fingers at the Conservative club or chain-saw maintenance. They certainly know how to show you a good time in Ludlow.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

bring back James Kelly
    HD2
    Socrates/nigelforengland
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Apparently I am on Plato's ignore list. But no-one is on mine. A) I can't see the point of ignoring an anonymous character on an internet forum and B) I have no idea what an ignore list is.

I wish I was on SeanT's (or would he be on mine so I could miss his expletive-laden posts?)
  • Options
    Tyke

Republican Tory

SallyC
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

I agree the policy is fine.However the promise not to raise NI at the last GE is.
    That is Cameron's fault for promising not to raise income tax or NI and cut inheritance tax and protect the family home and funding for social care and the NHS, it was fine in theory from Dave and George but short of the magic money tree something had to give especially given the finances are still not in balance
  • Options

HYUFD said:

85% will be unaffected and the remainer face an average rise of 60p per week according to Sky.

The fuss about this minor tax change shows just how suspect polls are that say the public would be happy to pay more tax for the NHS and social care. Seems to me that it is ok for a tax rise as long as it does not affect me
    Exactly and any other tax rise would have seen an even bigger row
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Tyke

Republican Tory

SallyC

I believe Republican Tory still posts from time to time.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Bojabob said:

Tyke

Republican Tory

SallyC

Avery Limpole
  • Options
    The Chancellor could've slashed foreign aid.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Tyke

Republican Tory

SallyC

Flightpath anyone ;-)
  • Options
    What's happened to Mike K? Don't recall seeing him since Xmas on here. Hope he is ok.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    National Insurance rises featuring Theresa May...

https://order-order.com/2017/03/08/may-opposed-national-insurance-rise-2010/

Dates back to 2010, but some of Osborne's tax changes encouraged Self Employment, with some creative responses to share ownership. Given the ways in which The Tories have trimmed their sails to the political wind, the NIC change is an embarrassment rather than a game changer like Brexit.
  • Options

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

Tyke

Republican Tory

SallyC

Avery Limpole
    Those yellow boxes... a fond memory.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Hmm. Class 4 NI is currently payable at 9% on earnings between £8060 and £43000 so on a band of £34940. So a 1% increase is £349.40. Against which there is the abolition of class 2, currently a fixed rate of £2.80 a week or £145.60 a year. So a tax increase of ££203.80 this year and another £349.40 next year.

What is all this hysteria about?
  • Options
    Mr. Pubgoer, he's ok. His Twitter account has been active today.
  • Options
    Tyke

Be good to see NigelforEngland back - agreed
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

That is Cameron's fault for promising not to raise income tax or NI and cut inheritance tax and protect the family home and funding for social care and the NHS, it was fine in theory from Dave and George but short of the magic money tree something had to give especially given the finances are still not in balance
    Very true but I do not think Conservative spokespersons will say the same as you .They wiill obfuscate the promise given.
  • Options
    Bring back Tim.

Greatest PB Leftie of all time.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

chestnut said:

Actually they probably don't earn as much as you think and it's a risky living.
    Of course.

I know a couple - one a friend since childhood, the other is in the family - at very different ends of the spectrum, .

One earns a modest income doing local work, the other is taking substantial commissions from large organisations.

Interestingly, both have a day job. One is full time PAYE, while the other sacrificed an element of PAYE security to branch out on her own. It's not very hard to guess which is which.

There are quite a number of people like this I imagine, simultaneously employed and self employed.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    DavidL said:

Hmm. Class 4 NI is currently payable at 9% on earnings between £8060 and £43000 so on a band of £34940. So a 1% increase is £349.40. Against which there is the abolition of class 2, currently a fixed rate of £2.80 a week or £145.60 a year. So a tax increase of ££203.80 this year and another £349.40 next year.

*Grabs a random payslip*

Taxable pay 18210.15
    NIC Ees 1620.71
    NIC Ers 1859.97

So how would this look if I was self employed ?
    And how will it look post budget.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

Tyke

Republican Tory

SallyC

Avery Limpole
    Those yellow boxes... a fond memory.
    Yes they were a sad loss indeed.
  • Options

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

Tyke

Republican Tory

SallyC

Avery Limpole
    Surely Avery was George Osborne or a close associate? No one else could have been bothered to go to so much effort to 'prove' the government was 'paying down the debt' when it was in fact adding to the debt
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

Tyke

Republican Tory

SallyC

Avery Limpole
    Surely Avery was George Osborne or a close associate? No one else could have been bothered to go to so much effort to 'prove' the government was 'paying down the debt' when it was in fact adding to the debt
    Avery always had a good sense of humour, a spat between him and Mick Pork could have me in stitches
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The broken promise people are sick of reading politicians lips.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    http://www.redistrictinggame.org/

A way to pass a few hours.
  • Options
    Alan

Ha! Yes. T

Bojabob said:

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

Tyke

Republican Tory

SallyC

Avery Limpole
    Avery always had a good sense of humour, a spat between him and Mick Pork could have me in stitches
    :smiley:

The golden days. Mick Pork. Where did all the flowers go?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2017
    What a super impressive guy....Afghan Swedish cop talking about migrants.

https://youtu.be/82eGHYsP0FE
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Very true but I do not think Conservative spokespersons will say the same as you .They wiill obfuscate the promise given.
    They would complain whatever tax was raised
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

HYUFD said:

Sir Lynton said those type of questions / polling numbers were bullshit for among other things those reasons.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

*Grabs a random payslip*

Taxable pay 18210.15
    NIC Ees 1620.71
    NIC Ers 1859.97

So how would this look if I was self employed ?
    And how will it look post budget.
    You really need an accountant on this rather than a mere lawyer but AIUU at the moment the NI would be 9% x (£18210 -£8050) = £914.40 + class 2 of £145.60 = total of £1060.

Next year it would be 10% x 10,160= £1,016. So for someone earning that much their NI is going down. In either case it is significantly less than the employees contribution let alone what the employer pays on top.

Of course, as others have pointed out, there is the small matter of who pays the sick pay etc.
This discussion has been closed.