Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn is going nowhere – for now

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn is going nowhere – for now

The good news for Jeremy Corbyn is that he is not the most unpopular politician in the UK. The bad news is that the two men who beat him to top spot are Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin. With the Labour leader being kept out of view from voters in Stoke and featuring prominently on Tory campaign literature in Copeland, and the party’s overall poll ratings continuing to slide on the back of the highly divisive and utterly pointless decision to three line whip Labour MPs through the lobbies in support of Tory Hard Brexit, it is no surprise that talk of Corbyn’s leadership is once again front page news. As TSE observed today, it’s becoming a question of when he goes, not whether.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2017
    First....Lets make America New Threads great again...

That photo is one that always brings a smile to my face.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    It's ok to call Corbyn scruffy, but not ok to comment on the appearance of Rebecca LB?

I'd like to be seen calling that sexist if I were a virtue signaller
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    edited February 2017
    Fourth like UKIp
  • Options
    "As TSE observed today, it’s becoming a question of when he goes, not whether"

Was there a chance he might stay forever then?
  • Options
    The bigger issue to be decided by the lack of far left keyboard warrior success in more day to day meetings is the failure to reshape the makeup of MPs. In every by-election the nominee has not been a Corbynista. Talk of "mandatory reselection" now seems to be dead in the water but even if it wasn't the so-called moderates would win their reselection battles anyway.

Which means it is a matter of when, not if, that the moderate left regains control of the party since they will retain a dominant portion of MPs. The far left is not going to reshape the party in their own image.
  • Options

The bigger issue to be decided by the lack of far left keyboard warrior success in more day to day meetings is the failure to reshape the makeup of MPs. In every by-election the nominee has not been a Corbynista. Talk of "mandatory reselection" now seems to be dead in the water but even if it wasn't the so-called moderates would win their reselection battles anyway.

Which means it is a matter of when, not if, that the moderate left regains control of the party since they will retain a dominant portion of MPs. The far left is not going to reshape the party in their own image.

After which the question quickly becomes whether the so-called 'moderate' MPs have any better clue as to what might be the solution to Labour's ongoing existential crisis than does the current more left-wing leadership?
  • Options
    The Labour Party can't leave a political corpse in charge for years. They don't have the luxury of that much time.
  • Options
    QTWAIN @IanB2
  • Options

The Labour Party can't leave a political corpse in charge for years. They don't have the luxury of that much time.

Why not?

What's the worst that is realistically going to happen? They might lose a few marginals but it isn't as if Brown or Miliband won that many marginals for them to lose.

Without a credible insurgent SNP style challenger in England and Wales most of the PLP are in safe "donkey with a red rosette" territory so does it matter if the party's led by an ass?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    isam said:

It's ok to call Corbyn scruffy, but not ok to comment on the appearance of Rebecca LB?

The difference is that women tend to be judged on their appearance above all else. Competence and ability are a distant second or third place. For men, their sartorial choices generally do not impact how their competence is judged.

It is a far from level playing field.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited February 2017

The thing is that 2018 comes around and then the "Its too close to a GE to change leader" arguments become ever louder.

I think he'll stay till the GE still, although that is my book talking a bit it also is based on the not too wishful thinking that McDonnell, Abbott, Lewis and all the other various pygmies will not be able to work out Corbyn's succession plan between them due to them all wanting it to be "Their plan".
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

isam said:

The difference is that women tend to be judged on their appearance above all else. Competence and ability are a distant second or third place. For men, their sartorial choices generally do not impact how their competence is judged.

hmm

from experience I'd say womens harshest judges on appearance are other women.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Pulpstar said:

The thing is that 2018 comes around and then the "Its too close to a GE to change leader" arguments become ever louder.
    I think it is almost too late now. Given the length of time it takes for Labour to get a leader in place then get a new team picked, sort out the policies and try to get the public to be able to recognise more than 1 out of 10 faces.

Is three years enough?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Unless and until a membership poll comes out showing Corbyn is beatable given he was re elected by a landslide by the Labour membership just 5 months ago he is staying unless he stands down of his own accord which he won't do unless he knows a fellow Corbynista will succeed him
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited February 2017

Pulpstar said:

I think it is almost too late now. Given the length of time it takes for Labour to get a leader in place then get a new team picked, sort out the policies and try to get the public to be able to recognise more than 1 out of 10 faces.

Is three years enough?
    How long does it take to sort out "not the Tories" as a policy position?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

isam said:

I reckon a few Labour leaders of the past 35 years will dispute that!

Foot, Brown, Miliband and Corbyn have all been pilloried for their appearance. As the subject is a potential Labour leader its fair enough, I think it would be sexist to treat a woman differently and I want to be seen signalling that virtue

What you seem to be asking for is affirmative action
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Pulpstar said:

Is three years enough?
    Any moderate or centrist candidate will do better in a GE than Corbyn. Lets remember the Tories are led by a charisma free void namely Theresa May. Maybe Labour won't win but they could do markedly better under just about anyone but Corbyn.

The next election could well be fought in an economic recession, the clock is ticking on that one as economic cycles do not last for ever and Brexit might have negative effects on the economy that amplify any natural pause in growth and pile further pressure on the government.
  • Options
    As a matter of interest SO, since you are a close observer of all things Labour and the direction in which the party should be heading, who would be your top two picks to be the next leader or next pick (i.e. singular), should you believe there is one outstanding candidate who would attract the most support?
  • Options
    Surprisingly, there are no betting markets on the year in which Corbyn ceases to be Labour leader. Come on Shadsy, do your stuff!
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    It would be a tremendous shame to miss out on seeing Jeremy Corbyn fighting a General Election campaign.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Is three years enough?
    be fair Charles

it took Cameron five years
  • Options

isam said:

hmm

True enough but the emphasis is different. Generalising is always risky but for the sake of brevity.... for a lot of men a women's appearance is the primary (only?) attribute they judge her by.

I could fill this thread up with stories of women I know, some of whom run businesses or who are senior in business. The problem exists, be in no doubt about it.
  • Options

Surprisingly, there are no betting markets on the year in which Corbyn ceases to be Labour leader. Come on Shadsy, do your stuff!

Paddy Power had one and it was an 84% book!!
  • Options

Betfair has a complete market
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

isam said:

I meant to ask NPXMP or anyone else who has canvassed in Stoke how many doorsteppees havesaid they could not vote Nuttall because he looks such an utter chump in his tweed caps.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Why not?

What's the worst that is realistically going to happen? They might lose a few marginals but it isn't as if Brown or Miliband won that many marginals for them to lose.

Without a credible insurgent SNP style challenger in England and Wales most of the PLP are in safe "donkey with a red rosette" territory so does it matter if the party's led by an ass?
    UK politics being a FPTP system has a tendency towards a two big party's + much smaller others.

This has been slightly tempered with the PR systems for the MEPs and to a lesser extent the Scottish, Welsh and London, elections.

But with the end of MEPs and the introduction of all the extra mayors, we are going to some what revert to being a two party contrary.

In that case it is vital to be one of the big two! and while I think on the balance of probabilities Labour even under JC will be one of the big two in 2020, I don't this its guaranteed, the LibDems or less likely but still possible UKIP, could come out of the 2020 GE as the Official opposition.

Looking at Lab support in opinion poles there support is on a down wood projection to around 17-18% by 2020, and while LD recovery should not be exaggerated, that's not a big target to beet.

we know that between now and 2020, the heralds the Lab Party will face include,

New constituency boundaries - reduce the size of Lab sets, and reducing the incumbency effect in most of the rest.

The Trade union bill - reducing the power of the Union and the size of the political funds to support Labour.

A leader that most MPs do not what to serve with.

The EU issue, where lab voters are split, appear to keen to leave, and upset the reminders, appear to try to stop BREXIT and upset the Leaves.

I'm not saying Labour will defiantly drop to being a minor party, the probability is they will not, but to say it will defiantly not is to ignore what has happed in Scotland.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Foot, Brown, Miliband and Corbyn have all been pilloried for their appearance. As the subject is a potential Labour leader its fair enough, I think it would be sexist to treat a woman differently and I want to be seen signalling that virtue

I am not asking for anything. I am just telling you what I and other women I know experience on a daily basis.
  • Options
    Charles said:

That is not a policy position. That is a desperate hope, or possibly special pleading.

• Options

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Is three years enough?
    be fair Charles

it took Cameron five years
    Cameron was always a difficult sale due to his upper class background IMO. I was surprised he became leader to be honest when he did. History will not judge his political career positively, he was put up with rather than genuinely supported. He is just a chancer - It would not surprise me if allsorts of things come out of the woodwork that would shock public opinion about him and his circle.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    edited February 2017
    isam said:

The spirit of the left is immortal, and JC is its way, truth and life.

Yes, I've used that one before.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

isam said:

This is right. Although I have to scoff at women like Charlie Theron who complain about sexism but will get naked for a perfume ad.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

I am not asking for anything. I am just telling you what I and other women I know experience on a daily basis.
    Both men and women are judged on their appearance, and there are women and men who use their appearance to further their careers.

But in the field of politics, and specifically Labour leaders, the mild criticism of RLB is nothing to the hammerings that Foot, Brown, Miliband and Corbyn took. It's not even a right vs left thing, I seem to remember there was a poster on here who was fixated with David Camerons hairline, to the point where his avatar was a bald version of the former PM
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

The spirit of the left is immortal, and JC is its way, truth and life.

Yes, I've used that one before.
    There is no doubt a strand of opinion among the Labour membership that would like to make Corbyn Eternal Leader, Kim Il-sung style.
  • Options

Any moderate or centrist candidate will do better in a GE than Corbyn. Lets remember the Tories are led by a charisma free void namely Theresa May. Maybe Labour won't win but they could do markedly better under just about anyone but Corbyn.

My personal suspicion is that it will take a leader or two to clear up Corbyn's mess. On the Tory side, Mrs May does not fill me with confidence. I understand that she is in a difficult position with limited room to manoeuvre but I do not feel that she has a grip on her party. Then again, does any Tory PM?

The next election could well be fought in an economic recession, the clock is ticking on that one as economic cycles do not last for ever and Brexit might have negative effects on the economy that amplify any natural pause in growth and pile further pressure on the government.

I fully expect Brexit to be a shambles. I am just hoping that it holds off until 2018 or 2019...
  • Options
    They obviously have different parliamentary 'conventions' in Germany.

https://twitter.com/philipoltermann/status/830802425237925888
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    I would like us to go in to the next election with a manifesto to the left of that offered by EdM and lead by someone who looks like a PM in waiting. And I don't care if they were Remain or Leave - that will be history in 2020.

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Both men and women are judged on their appearance, and there are women and men who use their appearance to further their careers.

But in the field of politics, and specifically Labour leaders, the mild criticism of RLB is nothing to the hammerings that Foot, Brown, Miliband and Corbyn took. It's not even a right vs left thing, I seem to remember there was a poster on here who was fixated with David Camerons hairline, to the point where his avatar was a bald version of the former PM
    And William Hague's baseball cap...!
  • Options

isam said:

hmm

True enough but the emphasis is different. Generalising is always risky but for the sake of brevity.... for a lot of men a women's appearance is the primary (only?) attribute they judge her by.

I could fill this thread up with stories of women I know, some of whom run businesses or who are senior in business. The problem exists, be in no doubt about it.
    Ha Mrs C a very one sided view :-)

there is nothing blokes dread more than being asked what do they think about what she is planning to wear. Whatever answer you give is the wrong one.

" It makes you look like Angela Merkel " rarely is received in the good humour it was uttered

" not big enough" is not the correct answer to does my bum look big in this

it would look a lot better on her best friend is just suicide

you ladies ask us to walk through a minefield and then condemn us when we blow our feet off

• Options
    isam said:

The main criticism of Brown was that he was a control freak and of Miliband was that he was gaff-prone. Michael Foot was regarded as detached from reality and the "Donkey Jacket" was regarded as proof of that but the main charge against Foot was that he lacked any clue about the real world. It seems to me that Corbyn is simply being treated as Foot mk.II
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Is three years enough?

What will cause a recession?

We are in an artificial economy as it is. Why do you think that Carney wouldn't cut rates further or engage in more QE?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

That's a blast from the past. I'd forgotten all about tim's bald Dave avatar. Thanks for reminding me.
  • Options

My personal suspicion is that it will take a leader or two to clear up Corbyn's mess. On the Tory side, Mrs May does not fill me with confidence. I understand that she is in a difficult position with limited room to manoeuvre but I do not feel that she has a grip on her party. Then again, does any Tory PM?

I fully expect Brexit to be a shambles. I am just hoping that it holds off until 2018 or 2019...
    I fully expect Brexit to take at least 5 years to enact so all this talk of a "shambles" shows the authors don't live in the real world as far as economics is concerned.

It takes at least 5 years to negotiate a trade treaty so Brexit will take at least 5 years...
  • Options

I would like us to go in to the next election with a manifesto to the left of that offered by EdM and lead by someone who looks like a PM in waiting. And I don't care if they were Remain or Leave - that will be history in 2020.

The only person I can think of who might fit the bill is Alan Johnson. He might fail on being left-wing enough but is a reasonably well-respected figure (even by a right-winger like me) and has Cabinet experience.
  • Options

there is nothing blokes dread more than being asked what do they think about what she is planning to wear. Whatever answer you give is the wrong one.

" It makes you look like Angela Merkel " rarely is received in the good humour it was uttered

you ladies ask us to walk through a minefield and then condemn us when we blow our feet off

I have every sympathy with you. [WARNING: Advice alert] Just tell her she looks fabulous and look like you mean it. Even if you do not

:)
  • Options

Charles said:

That is not a policy position. That is a desperate hope, or possibly special pleading.

Well it's been the basis if Labour campaigns for many a year
  • Options
    nunu said:

isam said:

This is right. Although I have to scoff at women like Charlie Theron who complain about sexism but will get naked for a perfume ad.
    I don't unless they criticise others getting naked as being sexist then there is no hypocrisy.

I view sexism to be something done TO someone who was unwilling. If Theron (or David Beckham as a male alternative) is willing to get naked for money then that is their choice and free will.

That doesn't justify or excuse unwarranted abuse.

The problem is people being to quick to label anything they dislike an ism and this watering down its meaning. I don't like Page 3, I think it is tacky and puerile. But as long as the women there are willing participants I would not call it sexism.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

isam said:

hmm

Lol - anecdote rules ok? When you're in a hole best to stop digging.
  • Options
    Anyway, as an independent, powerful, business-running woman, I have a Sunday dinner to sort out including a chocolate madeira pudding with creme anglaise...
  • Options
    Essexit said:

The only person I can think of who might fit the bill is Alan Johnson. He might fail on being left-wing enough but is a reasonably well-respected figure (even by a right-winger like me) and has Cabinet experience.
    If Alan Johnson is the answer I must be asking the wrong question!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

The photos of a rotund Cameron coming out of the water was splashed across most of front pages of the newspapers with unflattering comments. I seem to remember the photographer earned a pretty penny out of them.
  • Options
    felix said:

Lol - anecdote rules ok? When you're in a hole best to stop digging.

Pay attention 007. I said I could supply the anecdotes ....
  • Options

Anyway, as an independent, powerful, business-running woman, I have a Sunday dinner to sort out including a chocolate madeira pudding with creme anglaise...

...and don't forget to clean behind the fridge! ☺
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Shockng indeed. What's Merkel doing dressed in LibDem yellow ?!?!
  • Options

...and don't forget to clean behind the fridge! ☺
    Wonder if Nige's new roomy is busy doing that this weekend?
  • Options
    On Topic: Jeremy Corbyn has recognition. If his replacement were called Angela whatsername or Owen who was that even if such a selection were possible they would have problems getting known.

Off Topic. Without looking it up name as many candidates who are standing in the two forthcoming by-elections as you can.

Just saying ...
  • Options
    edited February 2017

just served mine boeuf bourgignon

two ladies with an attack of the munchies as eldest daughter was out on her hen night last night

wedding in April, so every day i get asked my opinion on something only to be told it's the wrong one
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

That would be Starmer.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Appearance is very important, for men and women, in politics and out of it. How a person chooses to dress says a lot about them as a person. A person on the receiving end, be it an interviewer in job recruitment, or a voter watching a politician on television (which is probably the same thing but at a longer distance) is entitled to take that information into account.

Mrs. C's point seems to be that for many ladies appearance has a much greater importance than for male applicants. In my experience that is not true, though I would concede that ladies, on the whole, take more care about their appearance on formal occasions (e.g. interviews).

For the very little it's worth, the only politician whose dress I have complained about was Gordon Brown. He usually looked like a sack of shit tied in the middle, he couldn't tie his tie and his suits always seemed to have been bought for someone else who was much smaller than he was. Someone on here once posted that Brown's tailor was Gieves and Hawkes, a fact that as far as I know that firm never confirmed for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Betfair has a complete market
    Thanks for that - I was relying on Oddschecker, not always a good idea
    Based on SO's expectation on Corbyn quitting the Labour leadership after the locals next year, Betfair's backing odds are 18.0 for Apr - June 18 and 17.5 for July - Sept 18 (i.e. taking in the Party conference). Hence one can cover the 6 months Apr - Sept 18 to achieve combined decimal odds of 8.87. That looks like fair value to me but DYOR.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Is three years enough?

We are in an artificial economy as it is. Why do you think that Carney wouldn't cut rates further or engage in more QE?
    Those two levers are connected to asset values not the real economy.

No more boom and bust? That rings a bell.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Is three years enough?

The natural trade cycle.

Carney or his successor will have difficulty cutting interest rates more due to their present low rates. Sure QE could be induced but if a naturally occurring recession comes along it will be like trying to urinate on a forest fire and as ineffective. Maybe the depreciation in sterling will sufficiently stimulate the economy to keep a recession at bay until 2020 but as I say 10 years of growth, all be it fairly slow growth in the historical context usually points toward recession.

• Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

But former PM
    Appearance is very important, for men and women, in politics and out of it. How a person chooses to dress says a lot about them as a person. A person on the receiving end, be it an interviewer in job recruitment, or a voter watching a politician on television (which is probably the same thing but at a longer distance) is entitled to take that information into account.

Mrs. C's point seems to be that for many ladies appearance has a much greater importance than for male applicants. In my experience that is not true, though I would concede that ladies, on the whole, take more care about their appearance on formal occasions (e.g. interviews).

For the very little it's worth, the only politician whose dress I have complained about was Gordon Brown. He usually looked like a sack of shit tied in the middle, he couldn't tie his tie and his suits always seemed to have been bought for someone else who was much smaller than he was. Someone on here once posted that Brown's tailor was Gieves and Hawkes, a fact that as far as I know that firm never confirmed for obvious reasons.
    Gieves and Hawkes stopped being a proper tailor generations back - when they merged, actually. Their main bag is overpriced off the peg stuff. I find it very credible that they dressed Brown.
  • Options

On Topic: Jeremy Corbyn has recognition. If his replacement were called Angela whatsername or Owen who was that even if such a selection were possible they would have problems getting known.

Off Topic. Without looking it up name as many candidates who are standing in the two forthcoming by-elections as you can.

Just saying ...

Corbyn has name recognition because he is Leader of the Opposition. Until then he'd spent decades in Parliament and outside political anorak circles (and often within them) name him and he'd be "Jeremy Who?"

If Owen whatshisname had won the leadership election then by now he'd have recognition. It comes with the job not with talent.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Police open fraud inquiry into 'mismanagement' at evangelical church

Rufus was a leading member of the KICC whose “founder, visionary and senior pastor” is Matthew Ashimolowo, a Nigerian evangelist who preaches a “health and wealth” gospel to a congregation of thousands at his “Prayer Palace” in Kent. The largely African and Caribbean churchgoers are urged to give regular tithes and the church collected £5.8m from them in 2015, according to the latest accounts.

In 2009 and 2010 the trustees agreed to give Rufus £5m to invest after he promised them returns of 55% a year at a time when interest rates were less than 1%.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/12/kicc-kingsway-christian-centre-fraud-inquiry-richard-rufus
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

isam said:

I don't unless they criticise others getting naked as being sexist then there is no hypocrisy.

I view sexism to be something done TO someone who was unwilling. If Theron (or David Beckham as a male alternative) is willing to get naked for money then that is their choice and free will.

The problem is people being to quick to label anything they dislike an ism and this watering down its meaning. I don't like Page 3, I think it is tacky and puerile. But as long as the women there are willing participants I would not call it sexism.
    It's not OK to abuse someone if they choose to get naked. But many women complain (including Theron) they are judged on their sexuality and looks whilst at the same time using those things to get ahead and earn money.
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

isam said:

It's not OK to abuse someone if they choose to get naked. But many women complain (including Theron) they are judged on their sexuality and looks whilst at the same time using those things to get ahead and earn money.
    Which isn't hypocritical. One is being controlled, the other is not.

It's the difference between telling a woman her place is in the kitchen - and a woman choosing to cook.
  • Options

isam said:

hmm

"I've always liked that one"

"Hasn't it worn well" and

"Clever of you to find all that material " ....also not recommended
  • Options

Just saying ...

I agree. Without name recognition there is no way Tim Fallon would now be leading the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    JackW said:

And what's the German football team manager doing in the picture too? Bloke with dark brown hair on the left), I think.
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Shame Scotland couldn't quite beat France. Intriguing game to watch, though.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

But he was a dab hand with the makeup.

• Options

Rufus was a leading member of the KICC whose “founder, visionary and senior pastor” is Matthew Ashimolowo, a Nigerian evangelist who preaches a “health and wealth” gospel to a congregation of thousands at his “Prayer Palace” in Kent. The largely African and Caribbean churchgoers are urged to give regular tithes and the church collected £5.8m from them in 2015, according to the latest accounts.

In 2009 and 2010 the trustees agreed to give Rufus £5m to invest after he promised them returns of 55% a year at a time when interest rates were less than 1%.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/12/kicc-kingsway-christian-centre-fraud-inquiry-richard-rufus

Tricky to get 55% in a year on that size, not sure Ladbrokes would lay that for Labour in Stoke. Property bridging loans skipping the middleman might be able to get 25 - 30%, which would work for the size. Of course capital is most definitely at risk when 55% is given as a return.

I rather expect the "investments" were on wine, women and song rather than anything tangible.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Rebecca Long-Bailey appeared to be attacked as a brassy barmaid type because she chooses smart feminine styles (and is very well presented). It would be unusual to see a male politician attacked for being too smart. As it is, I think RBL is a lousy leadership candidate as she has too little experience - I just found the dismissing of her as a barmaid type "who should be pulling pints in the Rovers' Return" a bit cringeworthy.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Have to say, having voted for him last year, I think it's time for Corbyn to go. The experiment has been given long enough, and it's not working.
  • Options
    JackW said:

You beat me to it, Mr W. I was minded to enquire "who's that clown in the yellow jacket?"
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Ishmael_Z said:

Just saying ...

I agree. Without name recognition there is no way Tim Fallon would now be leading the Lib Dems.
    And there was me thinking he was defence secretary...
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Essexit said:

If Alan Johnson is the answer I must be asking the wrong question!
    Sadly, all the 3 best "unity" candidates have tarnished themselves in the past 18 months: Harman by indicating the Labour "centrists" had no red-lines whatsoever with her Welfare Bill fiasco, Benn with supporting the Syria air strikes (not an issue for me personally, but an absolute heresy for even the most swingy of Corbynistas) and Johnson with his pathetic performance in the EU campaign.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Rebecca Long-Bailey appeared to be attacked as a brassy barmaid type because she chooses smart feminine styles (and is very well presented). It would be unusual to see a male politician attacked for being too smart. As it is, I think RBL is a lousy leadership candidate as she has too little experience - I just found the dismissing of her as a barmaid type "who should be pulling pints in the Rovers' Return" a bit cringeworthy.

I didn't read the whole prior thread so may have missed those comments but the bulk of comments I did see were simply referring to a car crash interview with Andrew Neil - for which many male MPs have had the exact same treatment.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Just saying ...

and missing the point...
  • Options
    JackW said:

Who's the man in drag in front of the lady with the orange hair?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

TudorRose said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Just saying ...

and missing the point...
    Considering the fact that Michael Fallon is the Defence Secretary I think he got the point ...
  • Options

Just saying ...

Recognition is Corbyn's problem - they know him and they don't like him.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

I didn't read the whole prior thread so may have missed those comments but the bulk of comments I did see were simply referring to a car crash interview with Andrew Neil - for which many male MPs have had the exact same treatment.
    Some were, some weren't.
  • Options
    felix said:

Just saying ...

Recognition is Corbyn's problem - they know him and they don't like him.
    That's just it. This idea that somehow Corbyn is better than the alternatives is mad. As is often noted on this forum @Pulpstar 's cat is more electable.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    edited February 2017
    Pie thinks he gets it, but doesn't think the Lib Dems do, or Labour, or the Tories (Must be a closet kipper!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkJs-tK2vak
  • Options
    Mr. Indigo, his very name is 50% of Kipper.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Some were, some weren't.
    Some being most or a minority?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

nunu said:

nunu said:

isam said:

Which isn't hypocritical. One is being controlled, the other is not.

It's the difference between telling a woman her place is in the kitchen - and a woman choosing to cook.
    Telling a woman her place is in the kitchen is one thing. The defining question is whether you would care to eat what she cooks.

Good evening, everyone.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Some were, some weren't.
    Some being most or a minority?
    Read the thread yourself if you like and do your own audit!
  • Options
    On topic...

Corbyn and his allies don't consider national government to be important so it would be misleading to expect them to behave as if they did. They are engaged in a long-term cultural struggle to make the harbouring of right-wing ideas physically impossible, aided and abetted by the BBC, social media and "educators" among others.

When Tories start spouting SJW drivel we will realise Corbyn has prevailed, much as Farage won his own battle without a bullet being fired. Labour agitators in the 70s used to talk about "scaling the commanding heights of the economy", but in the 21st century the commanding heights are in people's minds.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Pulpstar said:

Tricky to get 55% in a year on that size, not sure Ladbrokes would lay that for Labour in Stoke. Property bridging loans skipping the middleman might be able to get 25 - 30%, which would work for the size. Of course capital is most definitely at risk when 55% is given as a return.

I rather expect the "investments" were on wine, women and song rather than anything tangible.
    UK General Elections 2010 and 2015 seemed to be opportunities to get a good, almost certain return in a day or so. We need more GEs!

BTW there's just been a profile of Bercow on R4, giving an account of his move from hard right to liberal left. Is he angling for the LibDem or Labour leadership?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The big question is: would Theresa May prefer to continue to have a majority of 12 in the House of Commons, or would she like to have one between 50 and 100? If it's the latter, she calls an election this year while Corbyn is still in place. But she might prefer to have a small majority.
  • Options
    "Joff Wild? I was absolutely livid!"
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Just saying ...

No, that's Michael Farron! :lol:
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Danny565 said:

Have to say, having voted for him last year, I think it's time for Corbyn to go. The experiment has been given long enough, and it's not working.

PBTories hate to say it, but we did suggest as much quite a while ago....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    There is an argument that the percentage of MPs and MEPs should be increased not diminished. What the fiasco of Corbyn has shown is that a leader who does not have the support of the majority of the PLP is a disaster who cannot create or maintain a shadow cabinet of any stability or substance, incapable of offering ideas or leadership that amounts to a credible alternative to even the weakest government.

Another left wing leadership candidate would not solve any of the problems Corbyn has caused. He is not the problem, he is merely a particularly unpleasant symptom of the problem.
This discussion has been closed.