Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn is going nowhere – for now

Comments

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2017
    AndyJS said:

The big question is: would Theresa May prefer to continue to have a majority of 12 in the House of Commons, or would she like to have one between 50 and 100? If it's the latter, she calls an election this year while Corbyn is still in place. But she might prefer to have a small majority.

It's possible the three brexiteers are a decoy strategy.

It's quite possible May, Hammond and few very trustworthy wonks have spent the last six months coming up with a comprehensive and credible manifesto to put to the country.

Theresa's Brexit. Give us a majority and we'll trigger A50 the day after the election. £350m into the NHS/social care black hole by 2020. Crackdown on immigrants/terrorists/brown people. A new industrial revolution/northern powerhouse redux. Massive housebuilding but not in your back yard etc etc.

It would shut up a lot of her own troublemakers and put her on the front foot with a majority of >100.

An election this year = ~20-25% IMO.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

felix said:

On Topic: Jeremy Corbyn has recognition. If his replacement were called Angela whatsername or Owen who was that even if such a selection were possible they would have problems getting known.

Off Topic. Without looking it up name as many candidates who are standing in the two forthcoming by-elections as you can.

Just saying ...

Recognition is Corbyn's problem - they know him and they don't like him.
    That's just it. This idea that somehow Corbyn is better than the alternatives is mad. As is often noted on this forum @Pulpstar 's cat is more electable.
    Well, despite the fact that Corbynista view focus groups as a Blairite plot, the Sunday Times reports a leak from one undertaken by the left of the Labour party which makes dismal reading for Corbyn. About as popular as leprosy.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Jobabob said:

felix said:

On Topic: Jeremy Corbyn has recognition. If his replacement were called Angela whatsername or Owen who was that even if such a selection were possible they would have problems getting known.

Off Topic. Without looking it up name as many candidates who are standing in the two forthcoming by-elections as you can.

Just saying ...

Recognition is Corbyn's problem - they know him and they don't like him.
    That's just it. This idea that somehow Corbyn is better than the alternatives is mad. As is often noted on this forum @Pulpstar 's cat is more electable.
    Well, despite the fact that Corbynista view focus groups as a Blairite plot, the Sunday Times reports a leak from one undertaken by the left of the Labour party which makes dismal reading for Corbyn. About as popular as leprosy.
    I'm not a Rebecca supporter but I guess from her point of Rebecca Long-Bailey ought to take her chance. She will probably never get another one. And as she will be compared to Corbyn she will look good. Your move, Rebecca.
  • Options

On topic...

Corbyn and his allies don't consider national government to be important so it would be misleading to expect them to behave as if they did. They are engaged in a long-term cultural struggle to make the harbouring of right-wing ideas physically impossible, aided and abetted by the BBC, social media and "educators" among others.

When Tories start spouting SJW drivel we will realise Corbyn has prevailed, much as Farage won his own battle without a bullet being fired. Labour agitators in the 70s used to talk about "scaling the commanding heights of the economy", but in the 21st century the commanding heights are in people's minds.

Another frother who undermines his argument by using alt-right patois "SJW".
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

Have to say, having voted for him last year, I think it's time for Corbyn to go. The experiment has been given long enough, and it's not working.

PBTories hate to say it, but we did suggest as much quite a while ago....
    Yes, anecdote alert but I shared a few pints with a buddy of mine the other day - a Corbynista leftie. He used exactly the same terminology as Danny "time to go". Maybe the sands are finally shifting?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    edited February 2017
    Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

Have to say, having voted for him last year, I think it's time for Corbyn to go. The experiment has been given long enough, and it's not working.

Not presumably the ones that hilariously bought £3 memberships and hilariously voted for Corbyn, to much hilarity? That would, hilariously, make them hypocrites.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

Not presumably the ones that hilariously bought £3 memberships and hilariously voted for Corbyn, to much hilarity. That would, hilariously, make them hypocrites.
    I've been called worse by Mark Senior ... so ... meh.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

Not presumably the ones that hilariously bought £3 memberships and hilariously voted for Corbyn, to much hilarity. That would, hilariously, make them hypocrites.
    Yes there was certain segment of PB Tories who thought it clever and funny to game the leadership election of another party. There is a special place reserved in hell for that bunch.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

Yes there was certain segment of PB Tories who thought it clever and funny to game the leadership election of another party. There is a special place reserved in hell for that bunch.
    See you down there.
    I'll save you a deckchair near the lava.
  • Options
    Mr. Bob, whilst I agree that was unscrupulous, it ultimately didn't make any difference to Corbyn's election.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

There is an argument that the percentage of MPs and MEPs should be increased not diminished. What the fiasco of Corbyn has shown is that a leader who does not have the support of the majority of the PLP is a disaster who cannot create or maintain a shadow cabinet of any stability or substance, incapable of offering ideas or leadership that amounts to a credible alternative to even the weakest government.

Another left wing leadership candidate would not solve any of the problems Corbyn has caused. He is not the problem, he is merely a particularly unpleasant symptom of the problem.

How about a compromise? Lower the threshold for nominations while simultaneously making it easier to remove a dud? Not likely to happen but would be right thing to do.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

I've been called worse by Mark Senior ... so ... meh.
    I have no doubt that you're entirely comfortable with being a hypocrite, so...meh.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Jobabob said:

Rebecca Long-Bailey appeared to be attacked as a brassy barmaid type because she chooses smart feminine styles (and is very well presented). It would be unusual to see a male politician attacked for being too smart. As it is, I think RBL is a lousy leadership candidate as she has too little experience - I just found the dismissing of her as a barmaid type "who should be pulling pints in the Rovers' Return" a bit cringeworthy.

I didn't read the whole prior thread so may have missed those comments but the bulk of comments I did see were simply referring to a car crash interview with Andrew Neil - for which many male MPs have had the exact same treatment.
    I did not know her from before. But I did watch a part of the Neil interview. If she was the woman, then I thought she was reasonably good.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

On topic...

Corbyn and his allies don't consider national government to be important so it would be misleading to expect them to behave as if they did. They are engaged in a long-term cultural struggle to make the harbouring of right-wing ideas physically impossible, aided and abetted by the BBC, social media and "educators" among others.

When Tories start spouting SJW drivel we will realise Corbyn has prevailed, much as Farage won his own battle without a bullet being fired. Labour agitators in the 70s used to talk about "scaling the commanding heights of the economy", but in the 21st century the commanding heights are in people's minds.

Jobabob is another frother who undermines his argument by using SJW patois "alt-right".
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

Rebecca Long-Bailey appeared to be attacked as a brassy barmaid type because she chooses smart feminine styles (and is very well presented). It would be unusual to see a male politician attacked for being too smart. As it is, I think RBL is a lousy leadership candidate as she has too little experience - I just found the dismissing of her as a barmaid type "who should be pulling pints in the Rovers' Return" a bit cringeworthy.

I didn't read the whole prior thread so may have missed those comments but the bulk of comments I did see were simply referring to a car crash interview with Andrew Neil - for which many male MPs have had the exact same treatment.
    I did not know her from before. But I did watch a part of the Neil interview. If she was the woman, then I thought she was reasonably good.
    Given you previous comments this doesn't surprise me at all. She makes, by comparison, McMao look bright and Ed Miliband in his 'all sides should get around the negotiating table' interview sound like an orator.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050

Jobabob said:

On topic...

Jobabob is another frother who undermines his argument by using SJW patois "alt-right".
    Lefties don't describe themselves as SJW's. So it is right-wing patois. Plenty of Righties describe themselves as Alt-Right, so that is also right-wing patois.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

Yes, anecdote alert but I shared a few pints with a buddy of mine the other day - a Corbynista leftie. He used exactly the same terminology as Danny "time to go". Maybe the sands are finally shifting?
    Further anecdote alert, my other half agrees.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

I would like us to go in to the next election with a manifesto to the left of that offered by EdM and lead by someone who looks like a PM in waiting. And I don't care if they were Remain or Leave - that will be history in 2020.

That would be Starmer.
    Starmer will be our next leader. Even Labour party members ultimately wants to win. And, he will be formidable.

One of the reasons John Smith would have won and Blair did win was that the voters immediately knew that they had gravitas. Once that line is crossed, what the Sun or the Daily Mail says becomes irrelevant.
  • Options
    "Comrades, this is your Leader. It is an honour to speak to you today, and I am honoured to be sailing with you on the maiden voyage of our membership's most recent achievement. Once more, we play our dangerous game, a game of chess against our old adversary — The Conservative Party. For a hundred years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game and played it well. But today the game is different. We have the advantage. It reminds me of the heady days of 1945 and Clement Attlee, when the world trembled at the sound of our Nationalisations! Well, they will tremble again — at the sound of our three-line whip on Article 50. The order is: engage the Corbyn Drive!

"Comrades, our own Parliamentary Party don't know our full potential. They will do everything possible to test us; but they will only test their own embarrassment. We will leave our MPs behind, we will pass through the Conservative patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest constituency, and listen to their chortling and tittering... while we conduct Austerity Debates! Then, and when we are finished, the only sound they will hear is our laughter, while we sail to Brighton, where the sun is warm, and so is the... Comradeship!

"A great day, Comrades! We sail into history!"
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Jobabob said:

On topic...

Lefties don't describe themselves as SJW's. So it is right-wing patois. Plenty of Righties describe themselves as Alt-Right, so that is also right-wing patois.
    I think you mis-read what Sunil said.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    edited February 2017
    Jobabob said:

Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

Open your contest to all and sundry, and you reap what you sow. If in the overwhelming numbers some few people actually lie in order to obtain a vote, that is unscrupulous and hardly very principled, not to be applauded (if it is not an explicit open primary of some kind, I'd not do it myself), but if the organisers couldn't handle the new process adequately, they should never have implemented it.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022
    For those given to fuming at lefty luvies, 'I, Daniel Blake' has just won best British film at the BAFTAs
  • Options
    Disgraced Iraq lawyer Phil Shiner 'did good work, but lost his way' says Labour Baroness Chakrabarti

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/12/disgraced-iraq-abuse-lawyer-phil-shiner-did-good-work-lost-way/
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

I would like us to go in to the next election with a manifesto to the left of that offered by EdM and lead by someone who looks like a PM in waiting. And I don't care if they were Remain or Leave - that will be history in 2020.

That would be Starmer.
    Starmer will be our next leader. Even Labour party members ultimately wants to win. And, he will be formidable.

One of the reasons John Smith would have won and Blair did win was that the voters immediately knew that they had gravitas. Once that line is crossed, what the Sun or the Daily Mail says becomes irrelevant.
    So, why did Labour members who "want to win" elect Corbyn twice? Romantics or just idiots?
  • Options

For those given to fuming at lefty luvies, 'I, Daniel Blake' has just won best British film at the BAFTAs

I believe it is a very good work of fiction, with the emphasis on the word fiction.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited February 2017
    dixiedean said:

Jobabob said:

On topic...

In Britain? No.

It's a piece of imported American bollocks overwhelmingly used by lefties.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The big question is: would Theresa May prefer to continue to have a majority of 12 in the House of Commons, or would she like to have one between 50 and 100? If it's the latter, she calls an election this year while Corbyn is still in place. But she might prefer to have a small majority.

Irrelevant, given we now have a fixed term parliament.
  • Options

The trailer looked grim, depressing and preachy, none of which is necessarily a barrier to quality - is it genuinely any good?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    Starmer best not be next Labour leader.

Anyone but Starmer !
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

I thought so too.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

AndyJS said:

It's not irrelevant as there are ways around that - it's a question of how viable those ways are and would it be worth it. Given the need to push on with Brexit, almost certainly not even with the lure of an increased majority, even if one got through the procedural hurdles needed.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

dixiedean said:

Jobabob said:

On topic...

In Britain? No.

You obviously didn't watch the C4 news report this week. It is widely used by the Young extreme right with relish and glee. Us lefties have other terms for them.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anyone but Starmer !

So you'd be ok with David Miliband as next Labour leader ?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Anyone but Starmer !

A few hundred reasons why Starmer would be worse.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited February 2017

Pulpstar said:

Anyone but Starmer !

Well my book is:

Starmer -61
    Miliband D -94
    Miliband E +667

Lewis and Umanna would also be losses whilst everyone else is +167

[EDIT: Except Chris Leslie of course :P ]
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I've just realised who RBL reminds me of.

She is the Corbynite Matt Hancock!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Anyone but Starmer !

I don't think he could afford the drop in pay, he clearly likes hanging around in New York.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

That would be Starmer.

Harold Wilson had it and won a landslide 1966, the EU referendum 1975. He forgot to make the referendum legally binding which could possibly have sealed the deal for ever but you can't have it all.

He also had no skeletons in the closet ... a problem with Starmer at DPP?

Talking of current leaders, G.Party's deputy leader seems to do quite well in the TV studio
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Bartley
    Certainly articulate ... enough gravitas?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Anyone but Starmer !

David Miliband and Owen Smith are my biggest losses.

I think I'm going to the poor house if Juppé gets the French Presidency and David Miliband becomes next Labour leader.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

chestnut said:

dixiedean said:

Jobabob said:

On topic...

In Britain? No.

You obviously didn't watch the C4 news report this week. It is widely used by the Young extreme right with relish and glee. Us lefties have other terms for them.
    The extreme right? And how many of them are there? Certainly not to the level this nonsense is now used.

It's just a bollocks buzz-word.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Anyone but Starmer !

I think I'm going to the poor house if Juppé gets the French Presidency and David Miliband becomes next Labour leader.
    Well I'd be nursing a big loss on Juppé although if you look bet-by-bet I could at least claim a 599/1 winner!
  • Options
    Mr. Rabbit, did you tip it?
  • Options

Mr. Rabbit, did you tip it?

Of course not, Juppé was down and out... I'd just laid him right out at 119/1 and wanted some of my cash back !
  • Options
    chestnut said:

dixiedean said:

chestnut said:

dixiedean said:

Jobabob said:

On topic...

In Britain? No.

The extreme right? And how many of them are there? Certainly not to the level this nonsense is now used.

Agreed. Just like SJW, snowflake and virtue signaller. If only people on here would stop using them!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Anyone but Starmer !

Well I'd be nursing a big loss on Juppé although if you look bet-by-bet I could at least claim a 599/1 winner!
    You deserve an award for that.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

chestnut said:

dixiedean said:

chestnut said:

dixiedean said:

Jobabob said:

On topic...

In Britain? No.

Agreed. Just like SJW, snowflake and virtue signaller. If only people on here would stop using them!
    Don't like it, eh?
    Does it trigger you? Does it?

You snowflake.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

chestnut said:

dixiedean said:

chestnut said:

dixiedean said:

Jobabob said:

On topic...

In Britain? No.

Are emojis still banned ?
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Pulpstar said:

Anyone but Starmer !

I don't think he could afford the drop in pay, he clearly likes hanging around in New York.
    Can Trump expel him?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

dixiedean said:

chestnut said:

dixiedean said:

chestnut said:

dixiedean said:

Jobabob said:

On topic...

In Britain? No.

Don't like it, eh?
    Does it trigger you? Does it?

You snowflake.
    Somewhat of an ironic response to my triggering of a person by using the term alt right
    But I will let it go.
  • Options
    Mr. Rabbit, just relieved. Don't want people beating my Verstappen fluke :p
  • Options

Mr. Rabbit, just relieved. Don't want people beating my Verstappen fluke :p

Well, if Juppé does win my loss would be £600 rather than £2100 so I can be pleased a bit.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,400
    kle4 said:

The trailer looked grim, depressing and preachy, none of which is necessarily a barrier to quality - is it genuinely any good?
    It's fine. It's a good piece of filmmaking, if a little oversold. One of the more interesting aspects of it is that it's actually shot with quite a sunny style of cinematography, I think to make it clear that the moments of extreme poverty in the film are going on in a world that isn't a grim nightmare for everyone but where people are obliviously enjoying an overpriced Costa while in a pristine office someone's sent away to starve a block away. The performances are great, particularly Hayley Squires but it's not a masterpiece like say Land and Freedom. Loach is clearly so antagonised by the subject that there's a bit too much hitting you over the head with a sledgehammer to make what might be a fair point. A bit too preachy with its politics when it doesn't need to be, as its story of two people lost in a cruel Byzantine system that traps them is perfectly potent enough without it needing the moral lessons its director wants you to take away spelled out quite so obviously. Its strongest bits are when it's depicting the ludicrous absurdity of parts of the benefits the system rather than being morally furious at its characters' martyrdom.

That said, it's got some brilliantly affecting and even funny moments and it's worth watching for the two leads if nothing else. Depending on how you define a British film - American Honey beat it at the BIFAs, no one can complain too much about it winning.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

chestnut said:

dixiedean said:

chestnut said:

dixiedean said:

Jobabob said:

On topic...

In Britain? No.

If only......

Puerile bollocks. All of it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Personally, found it a bit disappointing . It certainly has a couple of very powerful moments, but overall it doesn't ring true (which for a piece of cinematic realism is a problem).
  • Options
    edited February 2017

kle4 said:

Personally, found it a bit disappointing . It certainly has a couple of very powerful moments, but overall it doesn't ring true (which for a piece of cinematic realism is a problem).
    Should add the actress who plays the single mum is superb.

p.s. Largely agree with MJW's more considered assessment.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,832
    Some sunday evening notes...

The French establishment seems to be conspiring to get Le Pen elected. I know they're not of course, but from the outside it looks mightily similar. (Omnium book - all green)

Labour seem to be conspiring to try to get Corbyn out on a high by finding a worse candidate. Owen Smith wasn't quite bad enough so they've now dragged a schoolgirl with a GCSE in economics out of obscurity to see whether she's worse. It's a bit of a disappointment that they had to turn to her because they had felt that they'd found their man with a journalist who'd tasted NAAFI tea once and had to have therapy thereafter. Unfortunately he unexpectedly developed a backbone, which was so much of a surprise to him he forgot himself and went through the spineless lobby. (Omnium book - DMill, RLB, McDonnell red - everyone else green)

LD fortunes are clearly on the turn - if it wasn't for the fact that they have a leader who is unpopular even before he's done anything then there might be half a chance that they'd become a blip on the radar. (I could lose up to £15 if Lamb became leader!)

Tories - they've done what they were told not to ever consider - they've let Letwin out!
    (Sanity hedge against overall majority)

UKIP - If it's not Nigel we don't care.
    (People really are backing Nige for next PM!)

end notes..

Obviously a bit tongue in cheek, but there might be the odd element of truth accidentally mixed in.

• Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38949539

Bertie Ahern has noticed what has been ignored by the media here. There will be a border because there has to be one.

Those who talk about the common travel area are talking through their backsides.

Ireland and the UK have never been in a situation when one was in the EU and the other was not. Both joined the EEC in 1973.

On Brexit, it will be the first time when trade barriers will be needed for tariff purposes. Also, immigration borders will be needed since otherwise how will the UK stop 88m Turks from coming in.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

chestnut said:

dixiedean said:

chestnut said:

dixiedean said:

Jobabob said:

On topic...

In Britain? No.

:smiley:
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I also keep on hearing this. No one can explain how.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

That would be Starmer.

So, why did Labour members who "want to win" elect Corbyn twice? Romantics or just idiots?
    Idiots. There were many Tories too!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

That would be Starmer.

Actual Tories or Red Tories?
  • Options
    Interesting piece on Meet the Press earlier about the start of a Tea Party of the left.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited February 2017
    Daddy is in trouble again....despite saying this 2+ years ago only now charged.

French far right candidate Marine Le Pen’s millionaire father is charged with inciting racial hatred after making a joke about ‘Jews dying in Nazi ovens’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4216882/National-Marine-Le-Pen-s-millionaire-father-race.html
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

That would be Starmer.

I would happily imagine that Corbyn was a Tory conspiracy, but you meet Corbyn supporters all over the place. "Trendy Lefties" as they were once called I guess, but updated. It's very odd.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Crooked Alt Bards...false chroniclers...

https://twitter.com/Athelflead/status/830875998207959041
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,014
    surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

I thought she did very well. She wasn't brow beaten by Neil. I sometimes see reference to "car crash" interviews and I just know it's fake comment. The only problem I had with her, speaking as an Owdm lad, was that her Salford voice was a bit posh.. probably her sixth form experience in Cheshire.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited February 2017
    Scott_P said:
    Easy done....one is a multiple married, arrogant, self important middle aged new yorker whose addiction to messing about on this iPad has got them in a lot of trouble , the other is the POTUS.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Corbyn has indicated he may support an early election. Otherwise his comment about Theresa May "cutting and running" wouldn't make any sense. She wouldn't be able to "cut and run" without his support for an early election.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

The Labour Party can't leave a political corpse in charge for years. They don't have the luxury of that much time.

The thing is that 2018 comes around and then the "Its too close to a GE to change leader" arguments become ever louder.
    I think it is almost too late now. Given the length of time it takes for Labour to get a leader in place then get a new team picked, sort out the policies and try to get the public to be able to recognise more than 1 out of 10 faces.

Is three years enough?
    Any moderate or centrist candidate will do better in a GE than Corbyn. Lets remember the Tories are led by a charisma free void namely Theresa May. Maybe Labour won't win but they could do markedly better under just about anyone but Corbyn.

The next election could well be fought in an economic recession, the clock is ticking on that one as economic cycles do not last for ever and Brexit might have negative effects on the economy that amplify any natural pause in growth and pile further pressure on the government.
    What will cause a recession?

We are in an artificial economy as it is. Why do you think that Carney wouldn't cut rates further or engage in more QE?
    Those two levers are connected to asset values not the real economy.

No more boom and bust? That rings a bell.
    Inflated asset prices are a consequence of both. But my point was really that we are not in a "normal" economic cycle but one which is completely false. The usual way out of it would be capital destruction but politicians seem to prefer to keep zombie firms alive and hence perpetuate misallocation of resources in a humongous scale.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

It's ok to call Corbyn scruffy, but not ok to comment on the appearance of Rebecca LB?

I'd like to be seen calling that sexist if I were a virtue signaller

The difference is that women tend to be judged on their appearance above all else. Competence and ability are a distant second or third place. For men, their sartorial choices generally do not impact how their competence is judged.

It is a far from level playing field.
    I reckon a few Labour leaders of the past 35 years will dispute that!

Foot, Brown, Miliband and Corbyn have all been pilloried for their appearance. As the subject is a potential Labour leader its fair enough, I think it would be sexist to treat a woman differently and I want to be seen signalling that virtue

What you seem to be asking for is affirmative action
    I am not asking for anything. I am just telling you what I and other women I know experience on a daily basis.
    Both men and women are judged on their appearance, and there are women and men who use their appearance to further their careers.

But former PM
    Appearance is very important, for men and women, in politics and out of it. How a person chooses to dress says a lot about them as a person. A person on the receiving end, be it an interviewer in job recruitment, or a voter watching a politician on television (which is probably the same thing but at a longer distance) is entitled to take that information into account.

Mrs. C's point seems to be that for many ladies appearance has a much greater importance than for male applicants. In my experience that is not true, though I would concede that ladies, on the whole, take more care about their appearance on formal occasions (e.g. interviews).

For the very little it's worth, the only politician whose dress I have complained about was Gordon Brown. He usually looked like a sack of shit tied in the middle, he couldn't tie his tie and his suits always seemed to have been bought for someone else who was much smaller than he was. Someone on here once posted that Brown's tailor was Gieves and Hawkes, a fact that as far as I know that firm never confirmed for obvious reasons.
    Gieves and Hawkes stopped being a proper tailor generations back - when they merged, actually. Their main bag is overpriced off the peg stuff. I find it very credible that they dressed Brown.
    Jeeves and Thieves used to be their rather unkind nickname - based on their clientele I believe :smiley:
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,715
    edited February 2017
    Charles said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

It's ok to call Corbyn scruffy, but not ok to comment on the appearance of Rebecca LB?

I'd like to be seen calling that sexist if I were a virtue signaller

The difference is that women tend to be judged on their appearance above all else. Competence and ability are a distant second or third place. For men, their sartorial choices generally do not impact how their competence is judged.

It is a far from level playing field.
    I reckon a few Labour leaders of the past 35 years will dispute that!

Foot, Brown, Miliband and Corbyn have all been pilloried for their appearance. As the subject is a potential Labour leader its fair enough, I think it would be sexist to treat a woman differently and I want to be seen signalling that virtue

What you seem to be asking for is affirmative action
    I am not asking for anything. I am just telling you what I and other women I know experience on a daily basis.
    Both men and women are judged on their appearance, and there are women and men who use their appearance to further their careers.

But former PM
    Appearance is very important, for men and women, in politics and out of it. How a person chooses to dress says a lot about them as a person. A person on the receiving end, be it an interviewer in job recruitment, or a voter watching a politician on television (which is probably the same thing but at a longer distance) is entitled to take that information into account.

Mrs. C's point seems to be that for many ladies appearance has a much greater importance than for male applicants. In my experience that is not true, though I would concede that ladies, on the whole, take more care about their appearance on formal occasions (e.g. interviews).

For the very little it's worth, the only politician whose dress I have complained about was Gordon Brown. He usually looked like a sack of shit tied in the middle, he couldn't tie his tie and his suits always seemed to have been bought for someone else who was much smaller than he was. Someone on here once posted that Brown's tailor was Gieves and Hawkes, a fact that as far as I know that firm never confirmed for obvious reasons.
    Gieves and Hawkes stopped being a proper tailor generations back - when they merged, actually. Their main bag is overpriced off the peg stuff. I find it very credible that they dressed Brown.
    Jeeves and Thieves used to be their rather unkind nickname - based on their clientele I believe :smiley:
    So where's the best place to buy a morning suit ?
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    Barnesian said:

surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

I thought she did very well. She wasn't brow beaten by Neil. I sometimes see reference to "car crash" interviews and I just know it's fake comment. The only problem I had with her, speaking as an Owdm lad, was that her Salford voice was a bit posh.. probably her sixth form experience in Cheshire.
    I also watched the interview and didn't think it was in car crash territory at all.
    Whilst she ticks a lot of boxes in theory she has only been in Parliament for 18 months. No experience. The probability of her being incompetent/having a nervous breakdown if she became leader must be very high. Even a seasoned player like Chuka Umanna (who has a similar professional history before going in to parliament) pulled out of the running.
  • Options
    nielh said:

Barnesian said:

surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

I also watched the interview and didn't think it was in car crash territory at all.
    Whilst she ticks a lot of boxes in theory she has only been in Parliament for 18 months. No experience. The probability of her being incompetent/having a nervous breakdown if she became leader must be very high. Even a seasoned player like Chuka Umanna (who has a similar professional history before going in to parliament) pulled out of the running.
    The Tories would destroy her. I feel sorry for her that she has got the nod from Jezza as she could find herself under a lot of pressure to run. She simply isn't old or experienced enough.
  • Options
    nielh said:

Barnesian said:

surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

Chuka had some stuff that he didn't want coming into the public domain. I'm not certain exactly what (It could be one of a few things I think), my guess is he has very small c conservative parents.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    kle4 said:

Jobabob said:

Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

Open your contest to all and sundry, and you reap what you sow. If in the overwhelming numbers some few people actually lie in order to obtain a vote, that is unscrupulous and hardly very principled, not to be applauded (if it is not an explicit open primary of some kind, I'd not do it myself), but if the organisers couldn't handle the new process adequately, they should never have implemented it.
    It didnt affect the result though. Corbyn won without the threequiders.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

That would be Starmer.

There are issues.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Probably not a pointer to anything, but the Good Lady Wifi cast her BAFTA votes not for the La La Land juggernaut, but instead went for Hacksaw Ridge for Best Actor, Best Film and Best Director. And Music.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

nielh said:

Barnesian said:

surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

Chuka had some stuff that he didn't want coming into the public domain. I'm not certain exactly what (It could be one of a few things I think), my guess is he has very small c conservative parents.
    I feel it harks back to his days as a club DJ in Manchester, during the 1990s. Those were wild, crazy days. Why that sort of stuff should matter in this day and age is beyond me but reactionary views still exist. Worth remembering that he was big favourite to win before he pulled out. Interesting alternative history if he had won the leadership and become Loto.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

nielh said:

Barnesian said:

surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

The Tories would destroy her. I feel sorry for her that she has got the nod from Jezza as she could find herself under a lot of pressure to run. She simply isn't old or experienced enough.
    Don't agree on the age front. Cameron was 39 when he became leader, however she can't become leader before the GE - I'd agree on that. Quite honestly whoever is leader heading into 2020 is on a hiding to nothing; it probably has to be Corbyn.
    After the GE she'll have been in parliament for five years and be 41. That is 'good enough' in terms of age and experience.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

Don't agree on the age front. Cameron was 39 when he became leader, however she can't become leader before the GE - I'd agree on that. Quite honestly whoever is leader heading into 2020 is on a hiding to nothing; it probably has to be Corbyn.
    After the GE she'll have been in parliament for five years and be 41. That is 'good enough' in terms of age and experience.
    Dave was already an MP for over 4 years when he became leader.
  • Options
    Charles said:

a "normal" economic cycle

The idea is obsolete isn't it?

Economics has changed. The best guess is once again a guess.

Highly paid economists the world over have been oddly reluctant to tell us that everything they've ever told us is wrong, or at least they wouldn't stand by it.

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

"Comrades, this is your Leader. It is an honour to speak to you today, and I am honoured to be sailing with you on the maiden voyage of our membership's most recent achievement. Once more, we play our dangerous game, a game of chess against our old adversary — The Conservative Party. For a hundred years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game and played it well. But today the game is different. We have the advantage. It reminds me of the heady days of 1945 and Clement Attlee, when the world trembled at the sound of our Nationalisations! Well, they will tremble again — at the sound of our three-line whip on Article 50. The order is: engage the Corbyn Drive!

"Comrades, our own Parliamentary Party don't know our full potential. They will do everything possible to test us; but they will only test their own embarrassment. We will leave our MPs behind, we will pass through the Conservative patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest constituency, and listen to their chortling and tittering... while we conduct Austerity Debates! Then, and when we are finished, the only sound they will hear is our laughter, while we sail to Brighton, where the sun is warm, and so is the... Comradeship!

How very Red October of you Sunil Ramius ....
  • Options
    Leicester City could do an unlikely trio of trophies :

2016 Premier League winners
    2017 Champions League Winners
    2018 Championship winners
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

Have you read my entire paragraph ?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

On topic...

:smile: Yep. Also, when I was on there (tumblr), I never even heard so-called SJWs actually refer to themselves as such.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Naaaah no chance of winning the championship!!!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

nielh said:

Barnesian said:

surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

She is only 37 which woud be a record in the postwar era I think? I don't actually agree that any Labour leader is necessarily on a hiding to nothing pre-2020, given that denying the Tories a majority would be seen as a victory. Labour would be mad to keep Corbyn, as almost anyone is better than him. However that person is not RLB who is simply too inexperienced to do the job.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

They did the first one and may very well do the third one but if you think they have even the slightest chance of doing the second I've a bridge to sell you.
  • Options

How very Red October of you Sunil Ramius ....
    Emphasis on the Red of course for the Corbyn Drive!
  • Options

Jobabob said:

On topic...

:smile: Yep. Also, when I was on there (tumblr), I never even heard so-called SJWs actually refer to themselves as such.
    As @chestnut (a rightwinger) said earlier it's all puerile stuff.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

Have you read my entire paragraph ?
    Calm down, dear! Calm down!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,232
    BAFTAs in full scale leftwing luvvie mode at the moment. Fry making cracks at Trump's expense to begin with and now Ken Loach attacking the government on its welfare and refugee policies
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Emphasis on the Red of course for the Corbyn Drive!

Corbyn Drive?

Multi-pass! (pronounced Mool-ty Pass)

:D:D
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I'm sure the govt are quaking in their boots at Ken Loach's bafta speech.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

On topic...

Socialist Justice Warriors!
  • Options
    Seems the Canadian doctors missed this...

Umpire Arnaud Gabas has had surgery to repair a fractured eye socket after he was hit with a ball during Britain's Davis Cup win over Canada last week.

Davis Cup: Umpire Arnaud Gabas has surgery to repair fractured eye socket
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/38950726
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Charles said:

So where's the best place to buy a morning suit ?
    Got my last one at Tom Browns. still going strong more than 20 years later...

But most people I know rent rather than buy once they outgrow their school clothes
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,541
    At least it wasn't Nelson Mandela
This discussion has been closed.