Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The lack of options for Brexit Britain

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

What is the rumour? Link it is dead.
    It says there's a draft anti-LGBT EO in the works.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Jonathan said:

Trump wanted crowds. He's got crowds.

Can you imagine if he ever does come to Britain?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,209
    Jobabob said:

Well, I enjoyed AlstairMeeks' article. Given that Brextieers make up a large number of contributors on PB, I find Mr Meeks contributions to be a good balance to that.

I remember when AlstairMeeks was under the name 'antifrank' and when he was treated and seen in a similar way to Cyclefree.

Yes, me too. It is telling how the guy is vilified for expressing in elegant terms a perfectly normal strand of opinion.
    I always read and enjoy Alastair's pieces. He writes well and for free. What is not to like?

I still think on balance that leave was the right answer to an overly simplistic question. But I find the idea that anyone can be so certain on one side or the other that they were right frankly bewildering.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Jobabob said:

Well, I enjoyed AlstairMeeks' article. Given that Brextieers make up a large number of contributors on PB, I find Mr Meeks contributions to be a good balance to that.

I remember when AlstairMeeks was under the name 'antifrank' and when he was treated and seen in a similar way to Cyclefree.

Yes, me too. It is telling how the guy is vilified for expressing in elegant terms a perfectly normal strand of opinion.
    I don't agree with all he writes but the overreaction of the Trump appeasers is always amusing
  • Options
    Interesting to speculate on the response of the Frothers on here the reaction if he did change the law so gays could be legally discriminated against in federal jobs. Would we hear the same stock lines about "wailing" and "virtue signalling" I wonder?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,263
    edited January 2017
    Jobabob said:

Jonathan said:

And that is why I do not undestand why so many want it stopped.

Surely the opportunity to demonstrate in the World Cup Final of demonstrations
  • Options

NewsTaker said:

Oh yes another prediction on the current state of play from AlastairM.

AlastairMeeks "I continue to expect a clear win for Remain. I predicted 60:40 at the start of the year and that still looks entirely possible to me. "

Is that his prediction on the second referendum?

Or the third?
    Yes, well let he who has never made an incorrect forecast on PB cast the first stone.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709

Scott_P said:

Obama had not only been invited to but had in fact met with the Queen by 2 April 2009.

Similarly Bush had met with the Queen by 20 July 2001.

Neither of which were State visits

PA doing a funny one.

Obama had not only been invited to but had in fact met with the Queen by 2 April 2009.

Similarly Bush had met with the Queen by 20 July 2001.
    They said 'State Visit'.
    Yes, I know. The distinction is little more than pedantry, though. The petition would be the same - unless you think everyone is oppose to the "state" part and not the meeting the Queen part?

I suspect that there is more to a State visit - and I suspect that Trump would be partial to the ceremonial aspects.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,913

Jobabob said:

Jonathan said:

Surely the opportunity to demonstrate would be the World Cup Final of demonstrations
    The virtue signalling would be through the roof! We could tax it
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited January 2017
    "Buckingham Palace is on full alert for the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh to meet Barack Obama Donald Trump, after he is sworn in as 44th 45th US president on January 20. Gordon Brown Theresa May is keen to cash in on Mr Obama’s popularity Mr Trump's power by inviting him to London early next year. During his brief visit in the summer their recent meeting Mr Obama Trump asked the Prime Minister to “show me where the Queen lives”.

This time is no different to last. We have to cosy up a bit whoever the President is.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Jobabob said:

Jonathan said:

Have you forgotten about Bush's visit to London in 2003?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

Let's face it, Mo Farah is more widely popular than Brexit in Britain,

Look at the evidence.

Murray, the 2013 and 2015 winner, took Olympic gold, claimed his second Wimbledon title and became tennis' world number one in a remarkable 2016.

Triathlete Alistair Brownlee was second and show jumper Nick Skelton third.

He was outpolled by a show jumper and a triathlete.
    ???

How does this do anything to disprove that Farah is more widely popular than Brexit?
    17m people voted for Brexit, and if Farah can't outpoll two of three mentioned after winning double-double gold in a Sports PERSONALITY poll then he really can't be that popular.

If you did nationwide polls asking people two separate questions, "do you like Mo Farah?" and "do you support Brexit?", which do you think would get the higher support?

Very few people dislike Farah, irrespective of whether they (naturally) think his achievements are not as impressive as Murray becoming one of the greatest players of all time in such a demanding sport as tennis, or if they were suckers for the Brownlees' corny "brothers helping eachother over the finish line" story. (Admittedly I was surprised Nick Skelton beat him though!).
    Can't imagine many people losing too much sleep over Mo not getting back to America. Pretty sure Salazar can ship his medication over to Spain.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709
    isam said:

Jonathan said:

Of virtue signallers! :):smiley:
    Do 'vice signallers' exist?
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jonathan said:

That's a fair point although I guess if one opposes his visit one would be odd to not pre-emptively protest it in the hope that they can protest it when it happens!
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Guido has a UK map showing the 20 constituencies with the most support to stop Trump's visit and the 20 least.

It is as stark as it gets in demonstrating that the out of touch London Metropolitan Elite are still at it

How is York doing BigG ? The so called golden triangle in Yorkshire ,York Harrogate Leeds voted to remain.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jonathan said:

That's a fair point although I guess if one opposes his visit one would be odd to not pre-emptively protest it in the hope that they can protest it when it happens!
    I think I understand your comment
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Interesting to speculate on the response of the Frothers on here the reaction if he did change the law so gays could be legally discriminated against in federal jobs. Would we hear the same stock lines about "wailing" and "virtue signalling" I wonder?
    Trump has hired a known White Supremacist in Steve Bannon and that didn't phase many on here. Hell, Jeff Sessions being nominated for Attorney General didn't really generate that much condemnation on here either.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

isam said:

Jonathan said:

I'd say they do, yes! I would have thought they and virtue signallers are parasites who feed off of each other and share their endorphins

Gresham's law of Extremism
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,945

Stonch said:

This article perfectly well written but the content is entirely driven by hope rather than reality. I'm sorry to get personal - but then this article is written by an individual who relentlessly pursues the same approach here, and it's above the line, so fair to comment on his motivations I feel. Alastair Meeks desperately want to be proven right on his entire world view, even to the extent of others suffering. It's a belief system thing for him: belief in himself. It doesn't serve much purpose on a betting site to have someone like that writing header article.

Too right - how dare he express views you don't like, but can't construct an argument against. Of course, if Alastair is wrong, the PM did have options and didn't have to rule out negotiating a single market membership arrangement and didn't have to prostrate the UK at the feet of President Trump. She just chose. I suspect that's probably correct. She has opted to follow the path laid out by the swivel-eyed, anti-European Tory right, which will inflict whatever it takes on British people in order to cut all our ties with the EU.

to prostrate the UK at the feet of President Trump.

ROFL, and yet you applauded when Cameron did the same with Obama

Er, no I didn't.

Yes, prostrate. Seven days in President Trump gets a state visit invitation. The first time ever a new US leader has been accorded such an honour.

Has he got a Nobel Peace prize yet ?
    Not only that, but he also has Economics and Physics.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited January 2017
    Danny565 said:

If you did nationwide polls asking people two separate questions, "do you like Mo Farah?" and "do you support Brexit?", which do you think would get the higher support?

Depends on the 'don't give a toss' option, which is where most people would be with Farah.

Farah is vanilla, he is magnolia paint; Brexit is Marmite.

The harsh truth is that he has done double gold twice now, and never made the top 3 in the public vote in SPOTY in those years.

Compare and contrast to Jessica Ennis, Daley Thompson, Seb Coe, Kelly Holmes. The reason for the difference is something we can only speculate on.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jonathan said:

That's a relief – I'm not sure I do!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

"Free trade with the UK is very important to us. But much more important for us is Europe as a whole and that the EU internal market is not damaged. This is the consensus in the German car industry." - Matthias Wissmann

Thin gruel for the Brexit case there...
    Für die deutsche Autoindustrie ist Großbritannien der wichtigste Auslandsmarkt. Knapp ein Fünftel der gesamten deutschen Autoexporte gehen ins Vereinigte Königreich.

The UK is the german car industry's biggest overseas market. Exactly one fifth of all german car exports go to the UK.

thin gruel - but for who

oh and theyve just pissed off Trump.
    And they say that despite that, they are more worried about the integrity of the single market, and consider May's advocacy of free trade to be hypocritical when set against her stance of hard Brexit. Not only has the German government not folded, neither has German industry.
    it;s not folding time yet, negotiations havent started and wont until after September, this is just the Phony War

We have already folded on the single market.

hmmm

do I take that as you dont negotiate or that you do but are just trolling.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Weird how some here have adopted Trump as their own.
  • Options
    As the universe is infinite there are also therefore modestly held opinion signallers and apathy signallers.

In any normal world, these people would be known as 'people'.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Compare and contrast to Jessica Ennis, Daley Thompson, Seb Coe, Kelly Holmes.

Or in his own event Liz McColgan or Paula Radcliffe.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:
    I've managed to be just out of frame of every shot of the Edinburgh protest I've seen. A lot of high quality signs were around me.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jonathan said:

That's a relief – I'm not sure I do!
    Thats funny - bit of light relief
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Jeez, the PB Burleys are out in force tonight on PB!!

What the f*ck is virtue signalling? It only seems to be mentioned by the BNP/UKIP trash that live on this blog!!
  • Options
    I see Sir Mo Farah is tonight's target!

Woe betide any poor bugger who expresses dissent at the Great Leader.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

isam said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT ?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    edited January 2017
    Pong said:

fpt;

https://dominiccummings.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/20170130-referendum-22-numbers.pdf

"The most successful ad with almost all demographics all the way through was a variation on £350m/NHS that AIQ did early on and we never could beat it."

The referendum was won on £350m/week extra for the NHS.

That's what Theresa has to deliver to make brexit a success.

Well, that's the price American corporations have as a benchmark if they want to buy into to the NHS....
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Yeah, that's been my thought process ever since November 8th. Especially since Trump seems to embody a repudiation of so many Conservative values. Lots of Conservatives funnily enough can see that - many Conservative MPs seem to have a highly critical attitude towards Trump, many right-wing commentators among the press also seem to be highly critical of Trump as well. It's why the reaction of many on the right on this site is well...rather odd.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

Depends on the 'don't give a toss' option, which is where most people would be with Farah.

The harsh truth is that he has done double gold twice now, and never made the top 3 in the public vote in SPOTY in those years.

Compare and contrast to Jessica Ennis, Daley Thompson, Seb Coe, Kelly Holmes. The reason for the difference is something we can only speculate on.
    And your speculative opinion is?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2017
    Ironically Ed Miliband's constituency has one of the lowest number of people signing the petition at the moment, just 792:

http://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=171928&area=eng
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Not really. Pretty sure Adolf would have had his backers in whatever the 1936 version of PB was.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Jobabob said:

I see Sir Mo Farah is tonight's target!

Woe betide any poor bugger who expresses dissent at the Great Leader.

With me it's my MP Nadim Zahawi

I hope Trump bans him from the USA, since then he might be forced to spend his time getting fking broadband into my village
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,385
    I don't intend to read the thread, life's too short. But the headline alone is based on an utterly false prospectus, namely that the UK is, or should be, desperately hoping for partnerships from the EU and from other nations that mirror the arrangements we are leaving as closely as possible. Considering we have a huge trade deficit with the EU and we are the second biggest net contributor to its coffers, this notion is palpably absurd. We are losing in the current set up.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That Miliband tweet reminds me of the time his brother tried the same approach in dealing with Sergei Lavrov and did a lot of damage to relations with Russia.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017
    AndyJS said:

Ironically Ed Miliband's constituency has one of the lowest number of people signing the petition at the moment, just 792:

It is probably because BrightHouse have repossessed all their computers (is what ed is thinking)
  • Options
    What I think PB could do with is someone giving a running commentary on the thread & gossiping about other peoples posts. A kind of teenage girl come moral compass

Or would that be really boring?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Guido has a UK map showing the 20 constituencies with the most support to stop Trump's visit and the 20 least.

It is as stark as it gets in demonstrating that the out of touch London Metropolitan Elite are still at it

How is York doing BigG ? The so called golden triangle in Yorkshire ,York Harrogate Leeds voted to remain.
    The Press Association report that 15 of the 20 constituencies with the most signatures in favour of cancelling Trump's visit are in London. The rest of the country doesn't seem bothered other than the student towns of Oxford, Cambridge, Bristol, Brighton and Edinburgh.

So your triangle doesn't seem bothered
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    The one thing May has done which was clearly and unambiguously a mistake was offering a state as opposed to an official visit - and probably most people, like me, never realised these were two different things until 48 hours ago. But in the context of recent USA-UK interactions she hasn't come close to the toe-curling embarrassment of Gordon pursuing Obama through a kitchen, or being fobbed off with a gift of unplayable dvds; and she certainly hasn't matched the absolute evil of that mass-murdering little shit Blair joining the Iraq war in the hope it would make him look a big swinging dick in Bush's eyes. Disrupted travel plans are a major inconvenience, for sure, but not really in the same class as killing high 6 figure numbers of civilians, and creating the field from which ISIS grew. Let's all develop a sense of proportion, shall we?
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

The Press Association report that 15 of the 20 constituencies with the most signatures in favour of cancelling Trump's visit are in London. The rest of the country doesn't seem bothered other than the student towns of Oxford, Cambridge, Bristol, Brighton and Edinburgh.

So your triangle doesn't seem bothered
    Places where Momentum have offices

http://groups.peoplesmomentum.com/
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

Not really. Pretty sure Adolf would have had his backers in whatever the 1936 version of PB was.
    About half of PB would have supported Adolf in 1936.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

the other half Stalin

who mudered more ?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Yeah, that's been my thought process ever since November 8th. Especially since Trump seems to embody a repudiation of so many Conservative values. Lots of Conservatives funnily enough can see that - many Conservative MPs seem to have a highly critical attitude towards Trump, many right-wing commentators among the press also seem to be highly critical of Trump as well. It's why the reaction of many on the right on this site is well...rather odd.
    Yes it's not a clear cut right-left thing. Lots of the 'salt-of-the-earth' Leaver Red BNP natives like him. Lots of sensible Tories loathe him. The PB Right, however, have not only taken him to their hearts, they see it as their duty to attack any that question him – even multiple gold medal winning Olympic athletes aren't spared the stormtroopers' blaze.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    midwinter said:

Danny565 said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

Let's face it, Mo Farah is more widely popular than Brexit in Britain,

Look at the evidence.

Murray, the 2013 and 2015 winner, took Olympic gold, claimed his second Wimbledon title and became tennis' world number one in a remarkable 2016.

Triathlete Alistair Brownlee was second and show jumper Nick Skelton third.

He was outpolled by a show jumper and a triathlete.
    ???

How does this do anything to disprove that Farah is more widely popular than Brexit?
    17m people voted for Brexit, and if Farah can't outpoll two of three mentioned after winning double-double gold in a Sports PERSONALITY poll then he really can't be that popular.

Very few people dislike Farah, irrespective of whether they (naturally) think his achievements are not as impressive as Murray becoming one of the greatest players of all time in such a demanding sport as tennis, or if they were suckers for the Brownlees' corny "brothers helping eachother over the finish line" story. (Admittedly I was surprised Nick Skelton beat him though!).
    Can't imagine many people losing too much sleep over Mo not getting back to America. Pretty sure Salazar can ship his medication over to Spain.
    It's not so much that people will feel sympathy for Farah. The feeling in my workplace today (which sounds laughable, but it proved to be a much better guide to the EU referendum than opinion polls and Westminster pundits) was along the lines of "it just shows how racist Trump is if he's banning someone as nice and unthreatening as Farah".
  • Options
    The idea that any U.K. PM could afford not to suck up to a US President is frankly childish and ridiculous. The last time was probably when Wilson refused LBJ's request to make a token contribution to Vietnam. Along with the Open University the best thing he ever did.

So May did what the job required. I think the vast majority of people recognise that. They may not like the fact it is necessary but they recognise that this is where we are. Where I disagree with Alastair is that I really don't think that Brexit has anything to do with it. Our number one trading partner, security partner, political partner has done something truly bizarre (having been given a really duff choice). Do we throw it all away or make the best of it? There is only 1 answer for adults who are not terminally self indulgent.
  • Options

I don't intend to read the thread, life's too short. But the headline alone is based on an utterly false prospectus, namely that the UK is, or should be, desperately hoping for partnerships from the EU and from other nations that mirror the arrangements we are leaving as closely as possible. Considering we have a huge trade deficit with the EU and we are the second biggest net contributor to its coffers, this notion is palpably absurd. We are losing in the current set up.

And we are going to lose a whole lot more when we leave. Just wait and see...
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

The PB Right, however, have not only taken him to their hearts, they see it as their duty to attack any that question him – even multiple gold medal winning Olympic athletes aren't spared the stormtroopers' blaze.

You came up with this idea and now you're determined to observe it.
  • Options
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/9/23/1573610/-Trump-Admits-He-Might-Have-Untreated-OCD

Who would have thunk that ? I hope Theresa had clean hands.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

England was not that successful at sport in the 1970,s did not qualify at football for the world cups of 1974 and 78 Britain did not win an athletics gold medal in 76.,When Coe came onto the scene it was a rare event as the others you mention in the 80s.Recent times there had been lots more winners to choose from.Also there was a lot of speculation about Mo Farah coach wether this had an effect I doubt.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

About 25 percent still think he was on the right lines now...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The idea that any U.K. PM could afford not to suck up to a US President is frankly childish and ridiculous. The last time was probably when Wilson refused LBJ's request to make a token contribution to Vietnam. Along with the Open University the best thing he ever did.

So May did what the job required. I think the vast majority of people recognise that. They may not like the fact it is necessary but they recognise that this is where we are. Where I disagree with Alastair is that I really don't think that Brexit has anything to do with it. Our number one trading partner, security partner, political partner has done something truly bizarre (having been given a really duff choice). Do we throw it all away or make the best of it? There is only 1 answer for adults who are not terminally self indulgent.

Why doesn't other countries feel the necessity to do this arse-licking ?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    DavidL said:

Where I disagree with Alastair is that I really don't think that Brexit has anything to do with it. Our number one trading partner, security partner, political partner has done something truly bizarre (having been given a really duff choice). Do we throw it all away or make the best of it? There is only 1 answer for adults who are not terminally self indulgent.

Except May is choosing the third option: "enable him to become even worse, and allow him to put Brits out of work and ruin our NHS".
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    The EU does not seem to have much leverage against World Colossi either. Or have I missed something?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jonathan said:

Yes it's not a clear cut right-left thing. Lots of the 'salt-of-the-earth' Leaver Red BNP natives like him. Lots of sensible Tories loathe him. The PB Right, however, have not only taken him to their hearts, they see it as their duty to attack any that question him – even multiple gold medal winning Olympic athletes aren't spared the stormtroopers' blaze.
    a remarkably daft post

most of us are just fed up with the endless agitprop and would like the lefties to find a sense of balance
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    surbiton said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

This and the furore around the state visit calls to mind 'White Man in Hammersmith Palais': 'If Adolph Hitler flew in tonight, they'd send a limousine anyway'.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Jobabob said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

The voters have some underlying feeling that gets them to vote for people of inferior achievement where he is concerned.

BBC viewers these days seem to prefer their sportspeople to be spectacularly middle class - tennis players, rowers, cyclists, showjumpers.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jonathan said:

a remarkably daft post

most of us are just fed up with the endless agitprop and would like the lefties to find a sense of balance
    I am almost sad we won the referendum now.. its like marrying the girl of your dreams only to have the MiL from hell and a baby crying every minute of the day
  • Options
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Other countries haven't had the opportunity to visit Donalds cleft cheeks. Or their tongues would protruded like a Camel on heat.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

"frother" is a moron indicator. Just so you know.
  • Options

surbiton said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

the other half Stalin

who mudered more ?
    Stalinists, like Corbynites seem a little under-represented on PB ...
  • Options
    By the way, Nadhim Zahawi wants the state visit
  • Options
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

The queue is around the block. He is POTUS, like it or loathe it. It's just this time we weren't at the back of the queue.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,302
    Try as I might, I still can't get excited about Trump's (temporary) immigration restrictions.

I was far more concerned about his positions on Torture and NATO, which May did obtain some useful clarifications on.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

So what?
  • Options
    edited January 2017

surbiton said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

the other half Stalin

who mudered more ?
    so are Hitlerites, but why let facts get in the way
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited January 2017
    Jobabob said:

Jonathan said:

Yes, I do find the attitude to Mo Farah rather bizarre. I'm also not too sure too much should be read into SPOTY. I voted for Andy Murray in both 2016 and 2015, but that doesn't mean that I don't like Mo Farah!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,183

surbiton said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

the other half Stalin

who mudered more ?
    Is there a difference?
  • Options
    isam said:

By the way, Nadhim Zahawi wants the state visit

lets hope they email his invite to my village
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    murali_s said:

The wish is father to the thought.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Jobabob said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

The voters have some underlying feeling that gets them to vote for people of inferior achievement where he is concerned.

BBC viewers these days seem to prefer their sportspeople to be spectacularly middle class - tennis players, rowers, cyclists, showjumpers.
    Surely it's more that he's not British. Did Greg rudedski (or what ever his name is) ever really get accepted as a Brit? Did zola budd? It probably doesn't help that saint mo (allegedly) is a tax exile in Switzerland either.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,385
    murali_s said:

On the bright side, you've already adjusted to the loss of your rag, your dignity, and your marbles.
  • Options

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Other countries haven't had the opportunity to visit Donalds cleft cheeks. Or their tongues would protruded like a Camel on heat.
    No - you idiot! Other countries have a level of dignity and self-worth which seems to have vanished in this country. Yes, our political leaders are pretty weak, and that's a widely known fact but May's performance was breathtaking - breathtakingly pathetic!
  • Options

surbiton said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

the other half Stalin

who mudered more ?
    Is there a difference?
    Not sure Jeremy has yet advocated the liquidation of the kulaks.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

The queue is around the block. He is POTUS, like it or loathe it. It's just this time we weren't at the back of the queue.
    In fairness, I don't see France and Germany brown-nosing him David. We do appear somewhat isolated in our approach.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jonathan said:

Can you actually point to any poster who has taken Trump to their heart - or has said anything beyond that May has to play the cards she has been dealt, and that Trump is one of them? And this Farah/Trump thing is at a really primary-school-playground level of debate. The question just makes no sense. It is like asking "which do you prefer - the Copenhagen interpretation of the double-slit experiment, or Cadbury's Wispa bars?"
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,183

Try as I might, I still can't get excited about Trump's (temporary) immigration restrictions.

I was far more concerned about his positions on Torture and NATO, which May did obtain some useful clarifications on.

US dropping sufficient support for NATO will be a disaster for Europe and will drag us in somehow. Russia will adopt more aggressive attitudes in Baltics, Balkans. Finland seems to be the latest country to find itself on the front line as it were.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jonathan said:

Yes, I do find the attitude to Mo Farah rather bizarre. I'm also not too sure too much should be read into SPOTY. I voted for Andy Murray in both 2016 and 2015, but that doesn't mean that I don't like Mo Farah!
    Mo's great. It's just that he's not empirically more popular than Brexit as claimed down thread.
    He i also a serial under achiever in SPOTY.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017

chestnut said:

Jobabob said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

Surely it's more that he's not British. Did Greg rudedski (or what ever his name is) ever really get accepted as a Brit? Did zola budd? It probably doesn't help that saint mo (allegedly) is a tax exile in Switzerland either.
    Greg rusedski won SPOTY (1997?)

I seemed to have missed, How did all this nonsense about who did better at SPOTY become part of the discussion?
  • Options
    edited January 2017

murali_s said:

On the bright side, you've already adjusted to the loss of your rag, your dignity, and your marbles.
    And so says Mr Luckyguy1983. I weep, I weep...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Not worth the paper it wasn't even written on.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

US dropping sufficient support for NATO will be a disaster for Europe and will drag us in somehow. Russia will adopt more aggressive attitudes in Baltics, Balkans. Finland seems to be the latest country to find itself on the front line as it were.
    Fear not, I'm sure the EU will defend Europe from the Russians.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Jobabob said:

Jonathan said:

Can you actually point to any poster who has taken Trump to their heart - or has said anything beyond that May has to play the cards she has been dealt, and that Trump is one of them? And this Farah/Trump thing is at a really primary-school-playground level of debate. The question just makes no sense. It is like asking "which do you prefer - the Copenhagen interpretation of the double-slit experiment, or Cadbury's Wispa bars?"
    You.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Jobabob said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

Or that the BBC gave over an episode of Panorama to explaining how dodgy his coach is
  • Options

I think the Russians might think twice about Finland. They do not historically have much success on that front at all.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

In fairness, I don't see France and Germany brown-nosing him David. We do appear somewhat isolated in our approach.
    They did not get an invite and still haven't
  • Options

Fear not, I'm sure the EU will defend Europe from the Russians.

The directive is no doubt being drafted as we speak.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Peace in our time?
  • Options

chestnut said:

Jobabob said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

Greg rusedski won SPOTY.

I seemed to have missed, How did all this nonsense about who did better at SPOTY become part of the discussion?
    I said if we accept people voted Brexit because of immigration concerns, they wouldn't necessarily be horrified by a leader who put down tough immigration controls.

@Danny565 said I was wrong because people see Mo Farah not being allowed to America and that overrides their immigration concerns

From then on people started saying Brexiteers don't like Mo Farah, I think they are virtue signalling to be honest
  • Options

chestnut said:

Jobabob said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

Greg rusedski won SPOTY (1997?)

I'm not sure, but that was my thoughts on Mo. He's a good runner but I can see why some wouldn't vote for him. (I didn't know Greg had won SPOTY, but felt a lot of people didn't really like him as much as Tim).
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    "Can you actually point to any poster who has taken Trump to their heart"

FFS - this is Trump's embassy here in the UK - politicalbetting.com.

• Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

What is the rumour? Link it is dead.
    Works for me, but here it is:

https://twitter.com/devchelle/status/826143714947059712

@RoguePOTUSStaff there are rumors of anti LGBT EO coming. Can you shed light on that?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Mr. Meek's phrase "his loose relationship with the truth" doesn't half roll trippingly. The concept is fertile ground for delving.

Of course Trump's invitation will stay. The UK needs him too much. Apparently anglophone commonality does mean something to Trump.

It will be interesting to see what effect the very large number of petition signers will have on him. Will he refer to it on Twitter? It is currently running at about 1.5 million. Will it exceed the three million or so votes that Clinton had more than he?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    Jobabob said:

Jonathan said:

You've got us bang to rights. We regard The Handmaid's Tale as the blueprint for the kind of society we wish to create.
  • Options

surbiton said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

This and the furore around the state visit calls to mind 'White Man in Hammersmith Palais': 'If Adolph Hitler flew in tonight, they'd send a limousine anyway'.
    A line based on David Bowie's Thin White Duke. Still at least the new groups would wear suits.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,302
    Jonathan said:

You hope.
This discussion has been closed.