Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A cartoon ahead of tomorrow’s historic Trump-May meeting in Wa

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    Donald Trump may do the impossible: uniting the libertarians and the Left.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

"Trump said to eye 20% border tax on Mexican imports to pay for wall" - says the FT

That - obviously - fails the "non-discriminatory" requirement of the WTO Treaties. The whole point about the WTO is that it establishes a common set of rules and prevents the big from bullying the little. I cannot see how the US remains a signatory to the treaties if it goes down this route.

We will all lose from the end of the age of free trade.

You can't have a common set of rules on tariffs etc, without common rules on minimum wages, labour regulations, business and property taxes etc etc.

The playing field isn't level.
    So, the UK shouldn't have free trade deals with anywhere poorer than them.
    And nobody richer than the UK should have a free trade deal with us.

It's very simple. Government policy that increases my freedom to make my own choices is good. Free trade deals do that.
    Quite. I would never buy a 'chlorine-drenched' chicken. But others might quite like to do so.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

"Trump said to eye 20% border tax on Mexican imports to pay for wall" - says the FT

That - obviously - fails the "non-discriminatory" requirement of the WTO Treaties. The whole point about the WTO is that it establishes a common set of rules and prevents the big from bullying the little. I cannot see how the US remains a signatory to the treaties if it goes down this route.

You can't have a common set of rules on tariffs etc, without common rules on minimum wages, labour regulations, business and property taxes etc etc.

It's very simple. Government policy that increases my freedom to make my own choices is good. Free trade deals do that.
    Your freedom perhaps.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/faisalislam/status/824737594353278979

I wonder if literally anyone is going to compartmentalise the speech in that way?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    RobD said:

I wonder if literally anyone is going to compartmentalise the speech in that way?

Ummmm...

They already did.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Your freedom perhaps.
    How does it not increase everyone's freedom?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

Ummmm...

They already did.
    Sorry, anyone who watched it!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Not quite, but we should choose our partners carefully, and we should be selective in the things we trade freely.

Unlimited, unfettered, anything goes, super-liberalism is stupid.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

rcs1000 said:

"

That's probably what's going to happen though isn't it?
    There are many ways this could possibly play out.

But if I was Mexico, and I was being bullied in this way, I would probably be falling into the arms of China.

I'm not going to deny being somewhat scared.
    I doubt China has that much interest in Mexico
  • Options
    RobD said:

TGOHF said:

So that's Farage and Corbyn both fully behind May's approach.

Government of national unity almost ?

The poor forgotten SNP...
    You've got a bit mixed up with your nations.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Former Mexican President: "This guy is totally crazy and he's going to destroy the world".
  • Options

RobD said:

TGOHF said:

So that's Farage and Corbyn both fully behind May's approach.

Government of national unity almost ?

The poor forgotten SNP...
    You've got a bit mixed up with your nations.
    It'd hardly be a government of national unity without Scotland!
  • Options
    chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Not quite, but we should choose our partners carefully, and we should be selective in the things we trade freely.

I've yet to hear a compelling argument why a group of people making a decision for me is better than me making a decision for myself.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Former Mexican President: "This guy is totally crazy and he's going to destroy the world".

I assume he said the same thing when construction actually started during Bush's presidency?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

I've yet to hear a compelling argument why a group of people making a decision for me is better than me making a decision for myself.
    You've gone for too strong a position. Individuals display myopia.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

It isn't about you though, it's about 65m people in our case.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Quite. I would never buy a 'chlorine-drenched' chicken. But others might quite like to do so.
    People will buy any old shite. Whether because of this truth we should then import even more sickening processed garbage so people can shove yet more crap down their children's throats is however another question.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Corbyn is proving to be a poor people manager with his 3-line whip on Article 50. A 2-line whip probably would have been a better idea.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Puzzled why people think bleached chicken is unique to the USA - I remember accounts of bleached chicken being sold here, not too long ago. Does the USA allow 20% + added salt water to their meat products?
  • Options

Immensely proud of Theresa May.

This is a brutal rejection of Trump's foreign policy approach.

Told you she would be terrific. Think there are many on here no matter who they support should just realise her vision and get behind her in her crusade to take this Country into a lead role in the World.

Ok, own up, who has created this brilliant spoof character? The random capitalisation is a particularly fine touch.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Corbyn is proving to be a poor people manager with his 3-line whip on Article 50. A 2-line whip probably would have been a better idea.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

The secret is never to be in the position in the first place.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Your freedom perhaps.
    Lots of people are stupid. Should we make it easier for them to render their children stupid too by making it even easier to buy cheap processed garbage with no nutritional value?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

It isn't about you though, it's about 65m people.
    Yes, and those 65m people would be better served by being allowed to buy from whom they choose. The alternative, that a small number of politicians - lobbied by rich industrialists - choose to protect industries, and push up prices for consumers. Crony capitalism is not just economically efficient, it is morally wrong.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Your freedom perhaps.
    Lots of people are stupid. Should we make it easier for them to render their children stupid too by making it even easier to buy cheap processed garbage with no nutritional value?
    Lots of people are stupid.

So we should prevent them from making stupid decisions? If they can't be trusted where to buy their chickens from, how can they be trusted to choose the right politicians?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, and those 65m people would be better served by being allowed to buy from whom they choose.
    Not if they were earning £26k a year and are now unemployed as a consequence.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Boris Johnson signals shift in UK policy on Syria's Assad

Foreign secretary says UK accepts Syrian leader should be allowed to run for re-election in event of peace deal

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/26/boris-johnson-signals-shift-in-uk-policy-on-syria-bashar-al-assad
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, and those 65m people would be better served by being allowed to buy from whom they choose. The alternative, that a small number of politicians - lobbied by rich industrialists - choose to protect industries, and push up prices for consumers. Crony capitalism is not just economically efficient, it is morally wrong.
    Do I detect a hint of Bregret?
  • Options
    PAW said:

Puzzled why people think bleached chicken is unique to the USA - I remember accounts of bleached chicken being sold here, not too long ago. Does the USA allow 20% + added salt water to their meat products?

That should be illegal here, if for no other reason than it's tantamount to passing off. Meantime, let's not bring in any more garbage to add to the utter shite people already feed their children.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Flooding the market with with cheap imported processed food is morally wrong.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    'Trying to take on Robert about libertarianism' is a great spectator sport!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, and those 65m people would be better served by being allowed to buy from whom they choose.

Do you know what happened the last time the world lurched into protectionism? I ask because that was a hell of a lot worse than the current situation: you know the situation where a record proportion of the population is employed.

I would also point out that those developed countries with the fewest trade barriers (like Switzerland, which has a FTA with China) are the ones with the lowest levels of unemployment.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Proving to be?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Allowing people to make their own decisions, which affect only themselves, is not wrong.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

:+1:
  • Options
    (Richard Tyndall where are you? I need your support here.)
  • Options
    Cheap... food... is moraly wrong?

From a socialist? The world has indeed been turned upside down.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    edited January 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

:+1:
    I read that as "Cheap Imported Labour" at first.. would have :+1: 'd as well!
  • Options
    Jobabob - 20 years ago though - I heard that out of date tinned food was being reheated by a major supermarket chain. I remember too that premium quality sausage meat from sainsbury's was mostly fat and turkey dust. Perhaps we could have a star system for quality.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    rcs1000 said:

You have my support (temporarily - off to the airport in 40 mins)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Your freedom perhaps.

So we should prevent them from making stupid decisions? If they can't be trusted where to buy their chickens from, how can they be trusted to choose the right politicians?
    Children can't vote. Sadly they can be stuffed full of cheap processed crap by their parents. Damned right we should protect them as much as possible.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

The nanny state that limits my choices and tells me what I should do is wrong.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Your freedom perhaps.

Children can't vote. Sadly they can be stuffed full of cheap processed crap by their parents. Damned right we should protect them as much as possible.
    Education is preferable to bans. Every time.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

They are Experts. Obvious, really.....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Allowing people to make their own decisions, which affect only themselves, is not wrong.
    They also affect their children.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    MTimT said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Are you against prescription-only medicine and in favour of the commercialisation of heroin and cocaine?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

I assume he said the same thing when construction actually started during Bush's presidency?
    He would have been a prophet if he said that.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

All the evidence- every bit of it - is that increased trade has resulted in increased employment and increased wealth for countries which have control of their own economies. It is only in circumstances where free trade is combined with an artificial fiscal arrangement such as exists in the Eurozone that we see a failure of market forces and large scale unemployment.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Your descriptor not mine.
    Your selective edit not mine.
  • Options
    I believe the term 'lean mince' means a reduced level of fat, but 'extra lean mince' isn't a recognised term and can have much more fat than standard.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Your freedom perhaps.

So, only quinoa to be sold in the shops of Britain, a Macdonalds ban.

What a paradise!
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Including your choice of cheap Mexican vehicles? ;-)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Crony capitalism is rife in the EU.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

They are Experts. Obvious, really.....
    :)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited January 2017
    rcs1000 said:

Free trade leads to freer people.

Countries that sends goods and services across borders are less likely to send soldiers across those borders.

Hurrah for free trade.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    rcs1000 said:

Quite right, Robert. Provided they are told what it really is. And what the consequences of eating it are.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Your freedom perhaps.

So no food standards?
  • Options
    @Bobajob

Chickens and pigs can't vote, and I think they should have the highest welfare standards possible. Any nation that wants free trade with us on meat products should have similarly high animal welfare standards.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Your freedom perhaps.

What a paradise!
    If only the poor could afford to be socialists!
  • Options
    PAW said:

Jobabob - 20 years ago though - I heard that out of date tinned food was being reheated by a major supermarket chain. I remember too that premium quality sausage meat from sainsbury's was mostly fat and turkey dust. Perhaps we could have a star system for quality.

A very good idea along with tougher baseline standards.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Quite right, Robert. Provided they are told what it really is. And what the consequences of eating it are.
    I'm very comfortable with the law enforcing disclosure. The better the quality of information, the better the market.

I'm not comfortable with @chestnut choosing which books I should read, and from whom I should buy goods.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Crony capitalism is rife in the EU.
    Coming soon to a town near you!

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Countries that sends goods and services across borders are less likely to send soldiers across those borders.

Hurrah for free trade.
    Woah, you and @Richard_Tyndall agreeing on something. Hell has frozen over.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hurrah for free trade.
    No, that happens when @Richard_Tyndall says something positive about the EU.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Your freedom perhaps.

What a paradise!
    Er no. Now you are just being silly.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Bobajob

Chickens and pigs can't vote, and I think they should have the highest welfare standards possible. Any nation that wants free trade with us on meat products should have similarly high animal welfare standards.

Agreed.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534
    Where can I see the speech in full?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Your freedom perhaps.

So no food standards?
    Would you prefer people had the choice of cheap food or your definition of good quality food?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Surely as a non-executive director with a successful CEO you've been on the other side of that argument before?
  • Options

Where can I see the speech in full?

Plato posted it below... https://youtu.be/ZkdyuOTf5Sk
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hurrah for free trade.
    Richard and I agree on a lot of things.

The death penalty, same sex marriage to name but two things.

He'll also appreciate the Douglas Adams themed thread I'm writing for the weekend after next.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Are you against prescription-only medicine and in favour of the commercialisation of heroin and cocaine?
    I haven't thought much about prescription medicines but I am very much in favour of the decriminalisation and commercialisation of currently illegal drugs.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    rcs1000 said:

Do you know what happened the last time the world lurched into protectionism? I ask because that was a hell of a lot worse than the current situation: you know the situation where a record proportion of the population is employed.

I would also point out that those developed countries with the fewest trade barriers (like Switzerland, which has a FTA with China) are the ones with the lowest levels of unemployment.

You are making a big leap into assuming that Trump's discontent over a trade deal with Mexico is somehow lurching into overall protectionism.

Perhaps, he's just looking for more suitable partners?

A bit like Brexit.

• Options

MTimT said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

I haven't thought much about prescription medicines but I am very much in favour of the decriminalisation and commercialisation of currently illegal drugs.
    & Taxation & regulation.

Very sensible :>
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Your freedom perhaps.

What a paradise!
    Dumb post. Show me your rationale for flooding the market with shit processed food with sod all nutritional value. Why not just allow salted chicken flavoured rice paper to be sold as chicken? It would be cheap, after all. Robert would argue no need to get the government involved in regulating that.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    nunu said:

isam said:
    Obama is someone who was well thought of before he had power and will be well thought after he has had power but not when he did have power.

People like the concept of Obama but not the reality.
    Didn't Obama have 60% approval when he left office, compared to the incoming Trump on 40%?
    Yes and Obamacare has the highest approval rating. I think when people realise what they have i.e Obamacare they will fight like shit to keep it.
    Obamacare is interesting because although its abolition is wanted by many Congress Republicans, what Trump spoke about sounded more like some tweaks and a name-change. Trump has said it would be replaced at the same time it is abolished, and mentioned some steps like allowing cross-state competition to reduce costs.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    It was a first class speech.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994
    edited January 2017
    Pulpstar said:

MTimT said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

& Taxation & regulation.

Some regulation is always necessary as is some taxation. It is the extent of both that is the point of dissent.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

So you are for the legalisation of all drugs, against compulsion on wearing a seat belt or driving on the left?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    rcs1000 said:

Would you advocate that the UK saves itself the bother of having to negotiate free trade agreements by simply declaring a policy of unilateral free trade with the entire globe? Would the advantages of such an approach to consumers and even to businesses, outweigh the disadvantages?

These are genuine questions - I've read opinions for and against such a radical approach, and am undecided. For example, I appreciate that manufacturers might find themselves competing with both cheap foreign imports and asymmetric barriers to exporting, but on the other hand they would have access to tariff-free supplies of all materials - and consumers would surely benefit from tariff-free imports, especially of food, from the rest of the world outside of the EU customs union?
  • Options
    edited January 2017

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

All the evidence- every bit of it - is that increased trade has resulted in increased employment and increased wealth for countries which have control of their own economies. It is only in circumstances where free trade is combined with an artificial fiscal arrangement such as exists in the Eurozone that we see a failure of market forces and large scale unemployment.
    GDP.....unemployment statistics.....do you really believe the bloke who can't find a place to live for his family because half a dozen transient workers are renting a room each in the homes he'd like cares about these things? The bloke whose hourly rate never rises?

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm very comfortable with the law enforcing disclosure. The better the quality of information, the better the market.

I'm not comfortable with @chestnut choosing which books I should read, and from whom I should buy goods.
    So no food standards? Tesco could sell chicken fed on diseased dead chickens, provided the small print said 'food may included recycled suboptimal poultry tissue' ?

What a paradise!
  • Options
    Hmmm

Theresa May is preparing to abandon plans for a British Bill of Rights, sources suggest

Theresa May is preparing to abandon plans for a British Bill of Rights after Britain leaves the European Union, Government sources have suggested.

Ministers have confirmed that the Government's plans to scrap the Human Rights Act have been shelved until after Brexit.

However sources told The Daily Telegraph that the plans may now be abandoned entirely because Brexit will significantly strengthen the sovereignty of British courts.

They also highlighted the Brexit judgement by the Supreme Court earlier this week which made clear that Britain will no longer be subject to European Court of Justice rulings after Brexit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/26/theresa-may-preparing-abandon-plans-british-bill-rights-sources/
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Surely you're not arguing for the complete abolition of food standards ?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534
    I'm not sure what I think about May's speech with a nod to end liberal interventionism.

My views are far closer to Blair's and Osborne's in the UK aiming to shape the world around us, rather than isolationist.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hurrah for free trade.
    Richard and I agree on a lot of things.

The death penalty, same sex marriage to name but two things.

He'll also appreciate the Douglas Adams themed thread I'm writing for the weekend after next.
    I think the only things we have really disagreed on are Brexit and Grammar schools. But I am confident you will see the light eventually.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MTimT said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

& Taxation & regulation.

I agree with that completely. Regulation on drugs, as with food!
  • Options

I'm not sure what I think about May's speech with a nod to end liberal interventionism.

My views are far closer to Blair's and Osborne's in the UK aiming to shape the world around us, rather than isolationist.

I agree on that on the latter part.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Your freedom perhaps.

What a paradise!
    Dumb post. Show me your rationale for flooding the market with shit processed food with sod all nutritional value. Why not just allow salted chicken flavoured rice paper to be sold as chicken? It would be cheap, after all. Robert would argue no need to get the government involved in regulating that.
    Well as I haven't said any of that I don't think I need to justify it
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Your freedom perhaps.

So no food standards?
    Would you prefer people had the choice of cheap food or your definition of good quality food?
    There needs to be basic safety standards*, and compulsory labelling so consumers can make informed choices. After that people should be allowed to commit "suicide by food" if they choose.

* I understand the reason that US chicken is soaked in chlorine is to wash off the surface bacteria from faecal contamination during poor slaughterhouse practice. The test swabs are thereby clean, though deeper contamination untouched.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Just popped in after dinner at an overpriced restaurant in Chelsea and upon a quick skim I see people are in favour of tearing up our trade deals with Africa because unit labour costs are cheaper over there.

Have I got that right?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Your freedom perhaps.

So no food standards?
    No I would make the wild argument that expert regulators should set sound standards for food, drugs, white goods etc. Mad as that may seem!
  • Options
    Mail front page is a mixed bag for the government.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/824748229350871040
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Hmmm

Theresa May is preparing to abandon plans for a British Bill of Rights, sources suggest

Theresa May is preparing to abandon plans for a British Bill of Rights after Britain leaves the European Union, Government sources have suggested.

Ministers have confirmed that the Government's plans to scrap the Human Rights Act have been shelved until after Brexit.

However sources told The Daily Telegraph that the plans may now be abandoned entirely because Brexit will significantly strengthen the sovereignty of British courts.

They also highlighted the Brexit judgement by the Supreme Court earlier this week which made clear that Britain will no longer be subject to European Court of Justice rulings after Brexit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/26/theresa-may-preparing-abandon-plans-british-bill-rights-sources/

Once free of the ECJ we don't need a bill of rights and we've done without one for a millennium . Seems logical.
  • Options

Mail front page is a mixed bag for the government.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/824748229350871040

Hip hop?

https://youtu.be/Q0IGepU7ICc
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Just popped in after dinner at an overpriced restaurant in Chelsea and upon a quick skim I see people are in favour of tearing up our trade deals with Africa because unit labour costs are cheaper over there.

Have I got that right?

OT but Rabbit on the KR is just excellent. Decent Bachhus on the wine list too.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994
    edited January 2017

I agree on that on the latter part.
    Dropping bombs on people until they agree to adopt our systems of governance has not actually proved to be a very successful strategy in recent years.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

You are making a big leap into assuming that Trump's discontent over a trade deal with Mexico is somehow lurching into overall protectionism.

Perhaps, he's just looking for more suitable partners?

A bit like Brexit.

Nothing in Trump's rhetoric suggests he is looking for more suitable partners. He is looking to screw over weaker countries (which compared to US is everyone).
This discussion has been closed.