Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What The Great Repeal Bill means for triggering Article 50

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    These are quite deep questions from Marr.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

May is basically saying no end to the free movement of people.

Did she? She just said the UK government would decide what the rules are.
    But she repeatedly avoided saying that there would be any restrictions and emphasised that the British government would decide as in that was going to make people happy.
    She also talked about the "controls that the British people wanted".
    The type of controls that don't change the number or type of people arriving?
    Those aren't the ones that the people wanted. You really have to contort her words to suggest she was saying there would be no end to free movement.
    What restrictions was she proposing?
    "there was a clear message from the British people that they wanted us to control the movement of people into the UK so we will deliver on that"
    And then despite lots of promoting and posssible examples from Mare she waffled, waffled, waffled on what that actually meant.
    It certainly wasn't her saying "no end to the free movement of people", that's for sure. As for specifics, that is to come no doubt.
  • Options
    Theresa May today

A50 served by the end of March 2017
    The people want control on immigration and we will deliver that
    The great repeal bill will bring back sovereignty to the UK Parliament

Pretty much 'Brexit means Brexit'
  • Options

He really is a horrible man, typical of the wet liberal "progressives" who hate the people and who no longer even pretend to support democracy.

Yes. I am trying to get the message across as to rightly or wrongly so many people vote for people like Farage or Trump.

Let me explain. I grew up in a south London inner suburb, three or four miles from Brixton.

In the 70s it was 95% white, a situation pretty well reversed now.

Generally my recollection was that most people rubbed along ok (I was in a Catholic School, we were all catholics so race didnt matter any more than hair colour).

Then around 1980 things changed. Hard left councillors got control and started stirring it, saying white people were horrible and racist.

At much the same time walking home became a frightening experience due to a minority of young afro carribean youths finding extorting money and valuables from us at knifepoint "mugging" renumerative.

As soon as the police find out they are black the kid gloves go on and tbey dont want to know as they are branded racist if they crack down. So we are now second class citizens.

Then the hard left orchestrated organised burning and looting. Shopkeepers if they were lucky, like Charles ancestors in Ireland, got 24 hours notice before the torching and murder which culminated in the Brixton Riots.

After the riots Lambeth Council distributed a newa sheetnwith a policemans helmet and "well done" as a headline.

In a way it was a bit like living in an occupied territory. The minority grew rapidly. If you got into a dispute with someone from an ethnic minority, if they were dishonest, they would likely play the race card which meant you lost. By the time I left I quite feared what would happen if I was in a car accident involving an aggressive afro carribean youth.

Im lucky, I went to University, met people of all races and all colours from all over the world who were good people. I now live in a nice place.

I know now, because of that education that there were two sides to the story in south London and some people from ethnic minorities were treated dreadfully.

But that is the point, there are two sides to every story but the progressives, child like, only saw one side, angelic ethnic minorities being oppressed by wicked white peopl

To finish. In the Thornton Heath riots a young man was dragged of a motorbike and murdered by black youths basically for being white. Unlike Stephen Lawrence, few have heard of him, I cant even remember his name and I lived only a mile or two away.

In summary, black people have and continue to suffer injustices at the hands of white people. Progressives care deeply.

Poorer white people in the same places have and continue to suffer injustices at the hands of black people. Progressives dont give a shit.

THAT is why the progressives are so despised and why a boor like Trump might win.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    PlatoSaid said:

:smiley:

Asa Bennett
    #cpc16 protesters moved onto Labour- singing "There's only one Jeremy Corbyn" and "Owen Smith, always on TV/Owen Smith, who the hell is he?"

Note that trainloads of right-wing protestors did not descend on Liverpool last week.

The Left cares about noisy protest, the Right gets on with being in power.
  • Options

Theresa May today

At the State Opening I am sure HM will be chuffed to read out the bit about her country becoming sovereign and independent again. :D
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited October 2016
    Noticeable change of tone from some of the Remoaner commentators. Before Mrs May's interview it was "oh the Great Repeal Act is a damp squib, not much change". "This isn't even close to the Brexit starting gun.*"

*BBC Europe producer. Impartial as ever (my arse).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

What a jumped up self important little shit Sir Craig Oliver appears to be.

Been watching the F1, what was he saying?
    More how he was saying it. Patronising and as though he was the politician rather than a SPAD.

On Tezza's interview meanwhile: a very straight bat.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    edited October 2016

Noticeable change of tone from some of the Remoaner commentators. Before Mrs May's interview it was "oh the Great Repeal Act is a damp squib, not much change". "This isn't even close to the Brexit starting gun.*"

*BBC Euope producer. Impartial as ever (my arse).

Remainers are barely worth listening to. Whatever the government says or does It's either "too fast" or "too slow", or "the wrong kind of Brexit". I don't know when they will stop remoaning, but I think we will be out of the EU before they stop.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    "without the need for a Parliamentary vote"

By putting a bill through parliament that will require several parliamentary votes?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

More how he was saying it. Patronising and as though he was the politician rather than a SPAD.

Hope she builds up the courage to face the great Neil one day (would stop him moaning about never interviewing the PM)!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

@Indigo

His name is not McMao.

It is Maodonnell.

That sounds like the start of a song. But it obviously can't have a tune or meter as both are capitalist bourgeois constructs that we should never ever use.

Old Maodonnell had a farm. But that was far too bourgeois for him, so he collectivised it with innumerable other farms. This meant they could sit around talking high matters of politics all day and throwing stones at the sparrows, as a result of which the crops failed and they all starved.

Ee-I EE-I o.

Isn't that Mugabe not Maodonnell?
    Mugabe didn't collectivise, he went on a land grab. I was thinking of Mao's disastrous collectivisation drive in the 1950s, which coupled with his anti-pest (sparrowcide) campaign and an unfortunate drought led to the deaths of around 60 million people.

But Dr Foxinsoxuk absolutely owned me on the lyrics front!
    Mugabe basically did what the IRA did in the Irish war of independence when all the country houses were burned and their land redistributed to their tenants.

Hardly surprising as he was educated by Irish Jesuits who were rather proud of what had happened.
    Actually by 1920 something like 80% of agricultural land in Ireland was already in the ownership of small Farmers as a result of the Irish land acts, particularly the 1885 act. By the 1920's the Protestant Ascendancy was largely history already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Land_Acts?wprov=sfla1

In large part this happened because of the long agricultural depression of late Victorian Britain making large agricultural estates unprofitable as much as desire to alleviate Irsh nationalism.

A free market with the Old Commonwealth would have pretty similar effect on post Brexit Britain. A lot of land would become idle. We could turn this to our advantage, as we would need fewer East European farm Labourers, and a lot of disused farms could be used for new housing.
    As late as the 1970s the English countryside was littered with abandoned lodges and farm workers cottages. Most are now second homes for wealthy city dwellers.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    glw said:

Remainers are barely worth listening to. Whatever the government says or does It's either "too fast" or "too slow", or "the wrong kind of Brexit". I don't know when they will stop remoaning, but I think we will be out of the EU before the stop.
    It'll never stop until the mistake of Brexit has been reversed.
  • Options

glw said:

Remainers are barely worth listening to. Whatever the government says or does It's either "too fast" or "too slow", or "the wrong kind of Brexit". I don't know when they will stop remoaning, but I think we will be out of the EU before the stop.
    Can't see us rejoining, especially as we'd lose the pound, no rebate, no national army (well, maybe!) etc.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    @patrickwintour May gave clarity today. Trigger Article 50 by March 2017 so UK out by 2019 and EU Repeal bill passed by then so UK has own legal framework
  • Options

glw said:

Neverendum then
  • Options
    RobD said:

Theresa May today

At the State Opening I am sure HM will be chuffed to read out the bit about her country becoming sovereign and independent again. :D
    Actually I sense that she will be very welcome to stating that. Watching her country's sovereignty be eroded surreptitiously, as the years have gone by cannot have been easy for her. I write that as a Republican.
  • Options
    RobD said:

glw said:

Can't see us rejoining, especially as we'd lose the pound, no rebate, no national army (well, maybe!) etc.
    Scotland first, then a reunified Ireland, then a diminished England and Wales.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: rather good race. Shall set about writing the post-race piece, though it may take a while [I'll try not to forget anything important].
  • Options

RobD said:

glw said:

Surely that'd make it even less likely? Given the most pro-europe bits would have been lopped off.
  • Options

glw said:

Neverendum then
    To be fair, the anti-EU argument never went away. The pro-EU argument will always be there (unless or until the EU dissolves, anyway.)

It's all a matter of whether an anti-Ukip can get enough votes to force a future Government to consider going back in...
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

glw said:

Surely that'd make it even less likely? Given the most pro-europe bits would have been lopped off.
    The most deluded bits will come to their senses after that.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

But she repeatedly avoided saying that there would be any restrictions and emphasised that the British government would decide as in that was going to make people happy.
    Those aren't the ones that the people wanted. You really have to contort her words to suggest she was saying there would be no end to free movement.
    "there was a clear message from the British people that they wanted us to control the movement of people into the UK so we will deliver on that"
    What's TMay's record on delivering over British people's concerns about controlling movement of people into the UK? I can't quite recall.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,974
    tlg86 said:

Matthew Paris complaining about democracy in Hungary.

Is liberalism compatible with democracy? Do the voters have the right to vote for illiberal policies, like curbing immigration, leaving the EU, or imposing tariff barriers?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Good morning, everyone.

F1: rather good race. Shall set about writing the post-race piece, though it may take a while [I'll try not to forget anything important].

Speak for yourself! All my bets went up in smoke :(
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

glw said:

Ah, Leaverstan, or whatever name it was given?
  • Options

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

What's TMay's record on delivering over British people's concerns about controlling movement of people into the UK? I can't quite recall.
    Hard to do while you are in the EU.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, it's not easy being green, as Kermit the Frog observed.
  • Options

glw said:

Remoaner of the day.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited October 2016

@patrickwintour May gave clarity today. Trigger Article 50 by March 2017 so UK out by 2019 and EU Repeal bill passed by then so UK has own legal framework

And should the Commons or more likely the Lords try to hold things up, an election is not ruled out...
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

glw said:

Far too logical.
  • Options

You're in the green? Your trebuchet just got that bit closer!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

Isn't migration from non EU countries higher?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    RobD said:

Theresa May today

Will be interesting to see Phil's face this time. Normally at State Openings he sit's next to HMQ with that gramce on his face that suggests he'd like to absolutely anywhere than sitting here.

This time I wonder whether he might just have a faint smile on his lips...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Is liberalism compatible with democracy? Do the voters have the right to vote for illiberal policies, like curbing immigration, leaving the EU, or imposing tariff barriers?
    Not the fundamentalist wing, which backs the EU to the hilt because its purpose is to enforce European unification against the will of pesky national electorates. That's all it's been about all along, really.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

Yes, but it is controlled. Anyone and their mother can come from the EU.
  • Options
    When is the next state opening our of interest? I know we had one in May but things have "developed" quite a bit since then so presumably we'll need another one quite soon?
  • Options

Lol, very good! Was a great race to watch though, well worth catching the highlights for anyone who didn't see it live.
  • Options
    Mr. D, it does happen occasionally. I'm not red at *every* race :p

Only short odds, but still nice.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

Not all "British" people wanted that, Scotland voted against and Britain will attempt to shove it down their throats regardless.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077
    GIN1138 said:

And should the Commons or more likely the Lords try to hold things up, an election is not ruled out...
    Morning GIN, hope you are well.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

When is the next state opening our of interest? I know we had one in May but things have "developed" quite a bit since then so presumably we'll need another one quite soon?

Parliament website just says "spring 2017"
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Hope she builds up the courage to face the great Neil one day (would stop him moaning about never interviewing the PM)!
    In Nick Robinson's profile he said there was no point interviewing her as she said nothing that wasn't in a Conservative Party pamphlet.
  • Options

glw said:

20 years from now, you'll be Jacobites toasting the King Over The Water in the late 18th century.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited October 2016
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

2015 Gross 293 000 non- EU migrants to the UK, 189 000 net. 13 000 deportations.

After 6 years of May at the Home Office:

3 possibilities:

1) May is useless at the one task she was given

2) May had no serious intention of reducing immigration.

3) Controlling immigration in a globalised world is not as simple as it seems.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    GIN1138 said:

Usually at the end of October, isn't it?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Morning GIN, hope you are well.
    Morning Malc. Yes, very well thanks.

Have been watching mega rich playboys go round and round in circles on telly (sounds a bit like our rulers in a lot of ways doesn't it? ;) ) and now I'm off to enjoy the sunshine. :D

You OK?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Oh! Thanks. :)

Perhaps they'll do it in March on the day of A50 being triggered?
  • Options

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

2015 Gross 289 000 non- EU migrants to the UK, 189 000 net. 13 000 deportations.

3 possibilities:

Didn't realise that the Home Secretary only had one duty!

I suspect it's 3), although there will now be pressure to lower the figure regardless of any economic cost.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

2015 Gross 293 000 non- EU migrants to the UK, 189 000 net. 13 000 deportations.

3 possibilities:

There is another possibility: that she could not get the measures she thought necessary past Cameron/Clegg and more recently Cameron/Osborne. I expect we will have to wait for the memoirs to get to the bottom of it.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

Not all "British" people wanted that, Scotland voted against and Britain will attempt to shove it down their throats regardless.
    Do you and Mrs G have any Regrexit? :smiley:
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Oh! Thanks. :)

Perhaps they'll do it in March on the day of A50 being triggered?
    "...and my government has just told the European Council where it can stuff it..."
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

@Indigo

His name is not McMao.

It is Maodonnell.

That sounds like the start of a song. But it obviously can't have a tune or meter as both are capitalist bourgeois constructs that we should never ever use.

Old Maodonnell had a farm. But that was far too bourgeois for him, so he collectivised it with innumerable other farms. This meant they could sit around talking high matters of politics all day and throwing stones at the sparrows, as a result of which the crops failed and they all starved.

Ee-I EE-I o.

Mugabe didn't collectivise, he went on a land grab. I was thinking of Mao's disastrous collectivisation drive in the 1950s, which coupled with his anti-pest (sparrowcide) campaign and an unfortunate drought led to the deaths of around 60 million people.

Mugabe basically did what the IRA did in the Irish war of independence when all the country houses were burned and their land redistributed to their tenants.

Hardly surprising as he was educated by Irish Jesuits who were rather proud of what had happened.
    Actually by 1920 something like 80% of agricultural land in Ireland was already in the ownership of small Farmers as a result of the Irish land acts, particularly the 1885 act. By the 1920's the Protestant Ascendancy was largely history already.

In large part this happened because of the long agricultural depression of late Victorian Britain making large agricultural estates unprofitable as much as desire to alleviate Irsh nationalism.

A free market with the Old Commonwealth would have pretty similar effect on post Brexit Britain. A lot of land would become idle. We could turn this to our advantage, as we would need fewer East European farm Labourers, and a lot of disused farms could be used for new housing.
    As late as the 1970s the English countryside was littered with abandoned lodges and farm workers cottages. Most are now second homes for wealthy city dwellers.
    Yes and in the 1970s London had a lot of run down property due to rent control, tenants rights and a duff economy.... If only I had bought then rather than mid 1980s...
  • Options
    Peston's prog very dominated by Soubry's gob. Calling it a gob is the politest word I can find.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

@Indigo

His name is not McMao.

It is Maodonnell.

Ee-I EE-I o.

Yes and in the 1970s London had a lot of run down property due to rent control, tenants rights and a duff economy.... If only I had bought then rather than mid 1980s...
    40 acres of agricultural land 5 minutes drive from a station 55 minutes from central London costs 260K (an example price).

There is one reason why we have a housing shortage....
  • Options
    Well, we were moaning there was no plan. Now we have a plan. Game On.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

@Indigo

His name is not McMao.

It is Maodonnell.

Ee-I EE-I o.

It was all relative, Mr. Betting. In the property boom of the early seventies terraced houses off York Road, Wandsworth, not the most salubrious area, were changing hands for £19,000 a crazy sum at the time. Nowadays I expect those same houses sell for £1m plus, equally daft.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Not the fundamentalist wing, which backs the EU to the hilt because its purpose is to enforce European unification against the will of pesky national electorates. That's all it's been about all along, really.
    I've had a number of people suggesting to me that "we need to modify democracy" - stop old people voting, even intelligence tests!

Strangely my suggestions have not gone down well...
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    edited October 2016

And more detail this afternoon in PM speech plus David Davis's speech
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016

ydoethur said:

40 acres of agricultural land 5 minutes drive from a station 55 minutes from central London costs 260K (an example price).

There is one reason why we have a housing shortage....
    Do you currently get CAP subsidies for land like that?

If so, presumably the value will reduce even further post-brexit (if it hasn't already).
  • Options

Line in the sand over immigration and get whatever we can on trade, services, what have you thereafter.
  • Options
    Mr. Malmesbury, a move to Enormo-Haddock Voting (EHV) makes perfect sense.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

I've had a number of people suggesting to me that "we need to modify democracy" - stop old people voting, even intelligence tests!

Hugo Rifkind, among others, was opposed to old people having the right to vote in the EU referendum.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Hugo Rifkind, among others, was opposed to old people having the right to vote in the EU referendum.

For national referendums should get 1 vote per year you are under the average life expectancy down to a minimum of 1.

General elections should be the same but max number of votes you get is capped at 5.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

I don't remember him advocating that for SindyRef. Surprisingly.
  • Options

I think that's about right. As a Remainer who wants the settlement to change as little as possible, I'm content with a starting point that we adopt Brussels law wholesale, and then consider at our leisure whether there's anything that we really want to change, with zero commitment to changing anything specific. It's a bit surprising that Leavers are chuffed, but I suppose they feel that any movement is better than nothing and that it's nice to have the option to change stuff even if we don't actually do it - like the Scottish devolution option to raise income tax.

Are you an eejit Dr Sven: You cannot reverse forty years of legislation overnight. Better to encase where we are and reverse at England's leisure.

Yet what most of you infantile Remainiacs/Meekoids miss is the simplist truth: No new EU legislation can be enforced through Westminster from now on. The ECJ-asshats may scream and shout but the de facto truth is that the EU writ is defunct.

May has drawn a line-in-the-sand: The EU Santiannas may seek to wreak vengence but we will all expect the same outcome. This is not a fight-to-the-death but a democratic solution that prevents a socialist cancer. :)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

For national referendums should get 1 vote per year you are under the average life expectancy down to a minimum of 1.

General elections should be the same but max number of votes you get is capped at 5.
    Actually, I think voters who agree with me should get more votes than those who don't.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

@Indigo
    His name is not McMao.
    It is Maodonnell.
    Ee-I EE-I o.

Mugabe didn't collectivise, he went on a land grab. I was thinking of Mao's disastrous collectivisation drive in the 1950s...
    Mugabe basically did what the IRA did in the Irish war of independence ...
    Actually by 1920 something like 80% of agricultural land in Ireland was already in the ownership of sm..
    In large part this happened because of the long agricultural depression of late Victorian Britain making large agricultural estates unprofitable as much as desire to alleviate Irsh nat.....
    It was all relative, Mr. Betting. In the property boom of the early seventies terraced houses off York Road, Wandsworth, not the most salubrious area, were changing hands for £19,000 a crazy sum at the time. Nowadays I expect those same houses sell for £1m plus, equally daft.
    A landlord in north london wanted to sell his terraced house in 1980. He paid 3 tenants just over £1,000 each to move out. He had to under the letting law then. £1,000 was a 25% pay rise for me!
    Sean_F said:

glw said:

20 years from now, you'll be Jacobites toasting the King Over The Water in the late 18th century.
    Very apt.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,452

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

3 possibilities:

There is another possibility: that she could not get the measures she thought necessary past Cameron/Clegg and more recently Cameron/Osborne. I expect we will have to wait for the memoirs to get to the bottom of it.
    It was the one weakness in R4's otherwise excellent programme yesterday about May, her background and her politics. The prog suggested she was actually very committed to the immigration issue and target, but then skipped completely over any explanation as to why so little was achieved.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    The "Great" Bill fill falter in Committee stage, grind to a halt in the Lords and precipitate a constitutional crisis, either the end ofthe Lords powers or the end of Mrs May, probably the latter, maybe both.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

It is an odd society that does not believe that its elders are better informed.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,452

I think that's about right. As a Remainer who wants the settlement to change as little as possible, I'm content with a starting point that we adopt Brussels law wholesale, and then consider at our leisure whether there's anything that we really want to change, with zero commitment to changing anything specific. It's a bit surprising that Leavers are chuffed, but I suppose they feel that any movement is better than nothing and that it's nice to have the option to change stuff even if we don't actually do it - like the Scottish devolution option to raise income tax.

Are you an eejit Dr Sven: You cannot reverse forty years of legislation overnight. Better to encase where we are and reverse at England's leisure.

Yet what most of you infantile Remainiacs/Meekoids miss is the simplist truth: No new EU legislation can be enforced through Westminster from now on. The ECJ-asshats may scream and shout but the de facto truth is that the EU writ is defunct.

May has drawn a line-in-the-sand: The EU Santiannas may seek to wreak vengence but we will all expect the same outcome. This is not a fight-to-the-death but a democratic solution that prevents a socialist cancer. :)
    We haven't yet seen the wording, but from a legal perspective I would expect the proposal to be that EU legislation becomes UK legislation on the day we leave, agreed in advance. I do not think we would be able to escape any changes made over the next few years, pending actual Brexit, any more than we can skip paying the membership fee.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

Last State Opening was in May I think.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,562

RobD said:

RobD said:

glw said:

That's a hell of a lack of self-awareness you've got there using a word like deluded...
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    IanB2 said:

We haven't yet seen the wording, but from a legal perspective I would expect the proposal to be that EU legislation becomes UK legislation on the day we leave, agreed in advance. I do not think we would be able to escape any changes made over the next few years, pending actual Brexit, any more than we can skip paying the membership fee.
    It is the "sticking plaster" approach that, ahem, some of us thought might happen. Everything as is then decide at leisure what we want or don't.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,562
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

3 fifths of Scotland voted against. Funny how you casually dismiss the minority that voted for.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Actually, I think voters who agree with me should get more votes than those who don't.
    Reverse the Reform Act of 1832. Now *there* are some boundaries that MomentumLabour will like!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063
    edited October 2016

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

@Indigo
    His name is not McMao.
    It is Maodonnell.

Actually by 1920 something like 80% of agricultural land in Ireland was already in the ownership of sm..
    In large part this happened because of the long agricultural depression of late Victorian Britain making large agricultural estates unprofitable as much as desire to alleviate Irsh nat.....
    A landlord in north london wanted to sell his terraced house in 1980. He paid 3 tenants just over £1,000 each to move out. He had to under the letting law then. £1,000 was a 25% pay rise for me!
    Sean_F said:

glw said:

Very apt.
    Somewhere in my files I have a letter about a house which I bought in the laste 60’s and the bank manager commented that “in these inflationary times a price of £14, 000 may perhaps be paid.” Houses in that road are selling at about £500-600,000 now!
  • Options

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

3 fifths of Scotland voted against. Funny how you casually dismiss the minority that voted for.
    The over-riding consideration is that the question of whether or not Scotland should be in the EU wasn't on the ballot paper. It was whether or not the United Kingdom should Leave or Remain, and every vote in the United Kingdom counted equally (Scotland already had a vote on leaving the UK, of course, in which EU membership was a live issue, and after Cameron had committed the Tories to an EU vote if they won the next election. Scotland said No regardless.)

Scotland was not the only part of the country that voted to Remain. Cambridge, for example, also did so. It doesn't follow that it ought either to secede, or to claim a right to special treatment.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    edited October 2016

Somewhere in my files I have a letter about a house which I bought in the laste 60’s and the bank manager commented that “in these inflationary times a price of £14, 000 may perhaps be paid.” Houses in that road are selling at about £500-600,000 now!

In 1995, I rented a room from a friend of mine who'd just bought a two bedroom flat in Pimlico. He paid, I think, £115,000 for it. So my rent paid for his mortgage.

Anyway. He sold it a decade later for about £700,000. And a very similar flat is now on the market for £1.5m.

A rise of 12-13x during which time nominal earnings have gone up perhaps 1.5x.

If we were to see a similar rate of wage and housing price increases in the next 20 years, the flat would cost £20m and graduate salaries might be £50,000.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited October 2016

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

3 possibilities:

4) May's freedom of action was limited by the fact that the Chancellor was pro immigration and the PM was not a natural ally

Edit: Mr Llama snap
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited October 2016
    TOPPING said:

It is the "sticking plaster" approach that, ahem, some of us thought might happen. Everything as is then decide at leisure what we want or don't.

Precisely (I think):

EU creates directive; Parliament considers. Parliament invokes GRA and Parliament moves on. Unlikely that any EU-directives will have an impact upon Westminster: We are moving on.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited October 2016

Mostly it stopped because of all seater stadiums. It was not easy identifying the culprits on terracing, and indeed the casual violence was considered more of a problem than language.

Nothing wrong with Britain in the 70's was there? Bring back the Black and White Minstrels and "Curry and Chips"

Watch the first 10 minutes of this, if you can:

https://youtu.be/NlB3qEm1gOs

What I saw was a caricature of people who were free, who took decisions themselves without the state interfering, who were prepared to reproove (and even thump) people who were out of order, who could stand up for themselves and didn't need to go to nanny state crying that someone had insulted them and who looked like they were all having a far more enjoyable time than people do in modern workplaces where (in the public sector in particular) everyone has to tread on eggshells the whole time. Plus of course Eric Sykes and Spike Milligans brilliance.

With one exception. The left wing Labour Party Member shop steward, who did nothing but cause trouble and was also an out and out hardened racist of the worst sort.

As ever with progressives, the cure was far worse than the disease. I sometimes wonder if the problem with the left is that they though all British working class people carried on like Labour Party Activists.

Thanks for the link, I had never heard of that comedy series. I will watch the rest later.
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

3 possibilities:

4) May's freedom of action was limited by the fact that the Chancellor was pro immigration and the PM was not a natural ally

Edit: Mr Llama snap
    I think Cameron would have been grateful to have had a much bigger step to meeting his self proclaimed target.

But I am sure that you are right. All failures will be blamed on the old regime. New management always does that. The fact that Mrs May was in charge of immigration and sat in the cabinet happily all the last 6 years, and was a core part of the Cameron modernisation project is mere pedantry.
  • Options
    Thread out of date already?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Wasn't there a Leaver goon on here who said that said he was going to withdraw transport help from his frail & incapacitated mother on the day of the referendum so she wouldn't be able to vote Remain?

That's one way of modifying democracy I guess.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    Very intersting piece by Will Hutton in The Observer. I'd warn Brexiters that it might not be to their taste. But what is more interesting is the politics. To quote:

'This conjunction of the economically and socially noxious horrifies not only me but also many Tories. Scotland’s Ruth Davidson, a bevy of ex-ministers, some in the cabinet and a large number of backbenchers are keenly aware of the slippery racist, culturally regressive and economically calamitous course their Brexiter colleagues are set on and are ready to fight for the soul of their party.'

All sounds good. I've never bought into the lefty line that all Tories are wicked, without scruples, sell their own grandmother etc. Then the killer line:

'George Osborne is positioning himself as their leader. It is an impending civil war, mirroring parallel feelings in the country at large.'

I think the reinvention of George Osborne from scheming Machiavellian to principled backbencher will be more fascinating than bruiser Balls turned prime time dancer. I'd guess the public will be less likely to buy it though. It's probably the smart move for him and his careerist mates though. Dress up leaving the single market in order to reduce immigration and the damage thereby done to wealthy individuals as an encouragment to racism and stand up for for 'decent' and 'tolerant' side of conservatism.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Swedish MEP on the Sunday Politics suggesting that Hungary should be "left behind" if they don't vote the right way.
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

3 possibilities:

Correct and the irony is that Osborne' pro immigration moves helped facilitate the win for LEAVE. A just reward?
  • Options
    F1: the post literally some of you might have been aware was coming. Here's my post-race ramble of the Malaysian Grand Prix:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/malaysia-post-race-analysis-2016.html
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

I expect Unionists (and Tories) would insist on life expectancy being estimated at a constituency level rather than nationally.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

Last State Opening was in May I think.
    The State opening used to take place around November, but the coalition government of 2010 moved it to May/June.
    It's taken place at that time of year ever since.
  • Options

Mostly it stopped because of all seater stadiums. It was not easy identifying the culprits on terracing, and indeed the casual violence was considered more of a problem than language.

Nothing wrong with Britain in the 70's was there? Bring back the Black and White Minstrels and "Curry and Chips"

What I saw was a caricature of people who were free, who took decisions themselves without the state interfering, who were prepared to reproove (and even thump) people who were out of order, who could stand up for themselves and didn't need to go to nanny state crying that someone had insulted them and who looked like they were all having a far more enjoyable time than people do in modern workplaces where (in the public sector in particular) everyone has to tread on eggshells the whole time. Plus of course Eric Sykes and Spike Milligans brilliance.

With one exception. The left wing Labour Party Member shop steward, who did nothing but cause trouble and was also an out and out hardened racist of the worst sort.

As ever with progressives, the cure was far worse than the disease. I sometimes wonder if the problem with the left is that they though all British working class people carried on like Labour Party Activists.

Thanks for the link, I had never heard of that comedy series. I will watch the rest later.
    The Shop Steward is a Powellite. Now voting UKIP I expect.

Enjoy, but please remember it is not a documentary.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

I think the reinvention of George Osborne from scheming Machiavellian to principled backbencher will be more fascinating than bruiser Balls turned prime time dancer. I'd guess the public will be less likely to buy it though.

I'd be amazed if the public believed it. The best thing Osborne can do is leave parliament.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/bopanc/status/782526194042437632

Two possibilities:

(a) The Hungarians are either mistaken or lying
    (b) The security threat posed by uncontrolled free movement of people has been demonstrated to be serious, and those who think we'd be off our rockers to listen to the No Borders lunatics have been vindicated by events
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2016
    Tesco car wash workers got half of minimum wage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37499241

What a terribly misleading headline....It was workers at a franchise of a car washing company, who had paid for the rights to wash cars in a Tesco's car park. So the square root of f##k all to do with Tescos.
  • Options
    glw said:

I think the reinvention of George Osborne from scheming Machiavellian to principled backbencher will be more fascinating than bruiser Balls turned prime time dancer. I'd guess the public will be less likely to buy it though.

I'd be amazed if the public believed it. The best thing Osborne can do is leave parliament.
    George Osborne couldn't even win a popularity contest in his own family let alone the nation.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/bopanc/status/782526194042437632

Two possibilities:

(a) The Hungarians are either mistaken or lying
    (b) The security threat posed by uncontrolled free movement of people has been demonstrated to be serious, and those who think we'd be off our rockers to listen to the No Borders lunatics have been vindicated by events

All the Paris attackers were EU citizens, so entitled to cross borders freely.

Indeed unless we plan to require visitors visas in advance for all EU citizens they (or their likely copycats) could freely enter Brexit Britain.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

I did tell you he was a scary four-year old when he lived in Catford. His big brother deserves more respect.*

* But then I am biased.
  • Options

The Shop Steward is a Powellite. Now voting UKIP I expect.

Enjoy, but please remember it is not a documentary.
    He is dead now but his son is probably in maomentum.
This discussion has been closed.