Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why part of my expected Diane James winnings will go on Jus

1235»

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    What's with Diane James and the media?? Refusing interviews on her Election Day is bizarre.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RobD said:

Ishmael_X said:

Scott_P said:

@rosschawkins: Diane James confirms she's chosen to take Neil Hamilton off UKIP speakers list for tomorrow. This is where the next UKIP fight kicks off

Neil Hamilton is on Ch 4 tonight, and not happy...

My heart warms to her already.
    She is straight competition to TM.

There is only one party that she is going to make headway against.
    The fertile ground for UKIP is in the North.
    I think that she is the wrong leader for that area.

Good for the Lib Dems
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    RobD said:

Ishmael_X said:

PM on radio 4 well disgruntled by DJ not giving them an interview, asking does she have something to hide?

Took me reading this about ten times to understand this sentence, but now I think I do. DJ = Dianne James?
    Yes sorry realised that after looking at it again. PM is the PM program, DJ is Diane James.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Ishmael_X said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_X said:

PM on radio 4 well disgruntled by DJ not giving them an interview, asking does she have something to hide?

Took me reading this about ten times to understand this sentence, but now I think I do. DJ = Dianne James?
    Yes sorry realised that after looking at it again. PM is the PM program, DJ is Diane James.
    I thought originally PM = TM! ;)
  • Options

RobD said:

Ishmael_X said:

Scott_P said:

@rosschawkins: Diane James confirms she's chosen to take Neil Hamilton off UKIP speakers list for tomorrow. This is where the next UKIP fight kicks off

Good for the Lib Dems
    What isn't good for the Lib Dems these days? ;)
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

A few days ago the Guardian published an article by an angry Australian who had walked out of a speech by Lionel Shriver. The Guardian has now put up the full text of Ms Shriver's speech: [snipped for space]

She has a lot of wise things to say.

A lot of wise words and common sense, thanks for the link. - Makes the protest actions of Ms Yassmin Abdel-Magied appear even more ridiculous.
    Is that the one that basically went "I looked at my mum and asked how people could disagree with me, I couldn't listen to it"
    Indeed it is Sir - Ignore the article & go straight to the comments, they're hugely enjoyable.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/10/as-lionel-shriver-made-light-of-identity-i-had-no-choice-but-to-walk-out-on-her#comments
    Sadly - ignore the article and go straight to the comments, theyre hugely enjoyable - is a parable about fleet streets output these days
    *nods*
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_X said:

Scott_P said:

Good for the Lib Dems
    FPTP?
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    edited September 2016

RobD said:

Ishmael_X said:

Scott_P said:

Good for the Lib Dems
    One could have said the same about Farage, but in 2015 the Kippers chalked up a lot of second places there. And that was before Labour started eating itself and alienated its traditional voters in the referendum.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_X said:

Scott_P said:

Good for the Lib Dems
    I think there needs to be a realistic policy on Europe such as EEA membership, with free movement of Labour, but not free access to the welfare system.

If the LDs come up with that, they could be on a winner. Simply wanting a re-run will not wash.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Scott_P said:

I really think Apple have killed the golden goose with the iPhone 7.

The iPhone 7 is a necessary evolutionary step to the 8, which will reportedly have neither headphone jack nor home button.

People said Apple were mad when they shipped the first iMac without a floppy drive...
    This is nothing like removing obsolete media drives. The headphone jack is still ubiquitous.

They've just been surveying people on whether they use the headphone jack on their laptops. Apparently it didn't occur to them that having proprietary headphones that don't work with anything but your phone might be inconvenient.
    No - they've already thought it through - coming on the new iMac - the new iPhone headphone jack... proprietary connections massively encourage cross-selling of products as people want stuff which works with other stuff - they are just betting that the iPhone is ubiquitous / popular enough to drive iMac sales etc.
    Well, they're working on the iCar. They've removed the wheels and replaced them with new iTracks. It does 100 MPG on new Apple iPetrol (available only from two iStores in Ealing), with the petrol costing £100 per litre.

The electric version can only be plugged in through an iSocket, which can be assembled in your own home for £100,000 and takes 100 hours to charge (after all, why would you want to go anywhere if you've got an iCar).
  • Options
    Essexit said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_X said:

Scott_P said:

Good for the Lib Dems
    One could have said the same about Farage, but in 2015 the Kippers chalked up a lot of second places there. And that was before Labour started eating itself and alienated its traditional voters in the referendum.
    I think second places in FPTP are of limited value!

Phillip Broughton could have done well in the North. DJ is a bit too much Southern Tory in outlook.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The iPhone 7 is a necessary evolutionary step to the 8, which will reportedly have neither headphone jack nor home button.

People said Apple were mad when they shipped the first iMac without a floppy drive...
    This is nothing like removing obsolete media drives. The headphone jack is still ubiquitous.

They've just been surveying people on whether they use the headphone jack on their laptops. Apparently it didn't occur to them that having proprietary headphones that don't work with anything but your phone might be inconvenient.
    Apple will prove the sceptics wrong again imho. Wires that get constantly tangled are on the way out.
    Perhaps Apple will one day invent wireless charging...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

They are rumoured to be working on a proprietary wireless charging system.

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Lennon said:

Scott_P said:

No - they've already thought it through - coming on the new iMac - the new iPhone headphone jack... proprietary connections massively encourage cross-selling of products as people want stuff which works with other stuff - they are just betting that the iPhone is ubiquitous / popular enough to drive iMac sales etc.
    It will certainly drive the sale of huge volumes of £1.99 adaptors from China, so you can still use your old (but good) headphones.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Essexit said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_X said:

Scott_P said:

Good for the Lib Dems

Phillip Broughton could have done well in the North. DJ is a bit too much Southern Tory in outlook.
    Second places can be converted into first places, and Labour is presenting an open goal. I'd agree DJ isn't the optimal candidate though.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The watch already has it
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_X said:

Scott_P said:

Good for the Lib Dems

Second places can be converted into first places, and Labour is presenting an open goal. I'd agree DJ isn't the optimal candidate though.
    I think DJ will come across well to Southern Tory voters. If May dithers over Brexit especially.
  • Options
    On the subject of education, John Rentoul has tweeted a link to an interview in Schools Week with the Harris Federation chief executive:

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/dan-moynihan-chief-executive-of-the-harris-federation/?utm_content=bufferfc1cd&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

It's a fascinating interview.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Lennon said:

rcs1000 said:

Re the iPhone 7, I have the OnePlus Three. It's half the price of the iPhone, and is quite the best Android phone I've ever used. It's extremely well made (much more premium than Samsung), and very quick.

If anyone is in the market for a new phone, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

+1 on the OnePlus.

Thanks - I'll take a look - I'm currently on a fairly outdated Motorola Moto G and trying to decide if I want to upgrade.
    Moto G4 is nice
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Another annoyance with the new iOS: music controls not immediately available on the control center, you have to swipe for it (controls are replaced by three oversized buttons for stuff I'll never use) . Also the keyboard has changed so it doesn't go back to letters after entering punctuation/numbers. Pain.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Apple will prove the sceptics wrong again imho. Wires that get constantly tangled are on the way out.
    They won't because they're replacing it with a closed standard that they control under Apple's usual terms. Other phone manufacturers won't touch it with a bargepole.

As ever with Apple, you're locked in a padded walled garden. :)
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    MaxPB said:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/15/upshot/hispanic-and-black-support-for-hillary-clinton-is-overrated.html

More trouble on planet Hillary. Been saying this for a while, she isn't going to benefit from demographics as much as people believe. Partly because she's not a very good candidate and partly because over the last 8 years the Dems have had the White House and not really done much to improve the lives of minorities. In the last few weeks Trump hasn't said or done anything controversial re minorities, even his visit to Mexico went okay. He's never going to win a majority or even a decent share but I could see him get 27-33% among Hispanics, 9-14% among blacks and 35-40% among Asians and others.

He's currently polling 13-19% with Latinos tho.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:
    Any comments on your party's new leader?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:
    ??? I'm politically homeless and said so weeks ago.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    So, question for the PB crew. Is the election of DJ as UKIP leader the one outcome that gives Labour a lifeline for the future?

Logic: she appeal to southern Tories, not northern traditional labour. So :

1. she weakens the Tories
    2. she leaves the disaffected Northern trad Lab to the LDs, giving them a lifeline
    3. Labour is no worse affected as a result of Leader Corbyn than are the Tories by UKIP.
    4. Left and Right are fairly evenly balanced, and Con ad Lab similarly trading in the 28-40% range as UKIP/LD trade in the 8-18% range.
  • Options

On the subject of education, John Rentoul has tweeted a link to an interview in Schools Week with the Harris Federation chief executive:

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/dan-moynihan-chief-executive-of-the-harris-federation/?utm_content=bufferfc1cd&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

It's a fascinating interview.

Very interesting.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    UK has won 50th gold medal at the Paralympics.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    AndyJS said:

UK has won 50th gold medal at the Paralympics.

and 51st and 52nd.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

So, question for the PB crew. Is the election of DJ as UKIP leader the one outcome that gives Labour a lifeline for the future?

Logic: she appeal to southern Tories, not northern traditional labour. So :

1. she weakens the Tories
    2. she leaves the disaffected Northern trad Lab to the LDs, giving them a lifeline
    3. Labour is no worse affected as a result of Leader Corbyn than are the Tories by UKIP.
    4. Left and Right are fairly evenly balanced, and Con ad Lab similarly trading in the 28-40% range as UKIP/LD trade in the 8-18% range.

I've seen on Twitter that Woolfe could be her deputy - that'd bridge the gap for many.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Didn't you donate to UKIP a few short weeks ago?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:
    A whole £20 in irritation at Tory leader race.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

DJ is a bit too much Southern Tory in outlook.

The alternatives are a southern Tory, a London based 'terrorist sympathiser' and an irrelevant, pro-EU god-botherer.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    RobD said:

Another annoyance with the new iOS: music controls not immediately available on the control center, you have to swipe for it (controls are replaced by three oversized buttons for stuff I'll never use) . Also the keyboard has changed so it doesn't go back to letters after entering punctuation/numbers. Pain.

That last one is annoying. Was my only comment back to them as a beta tester, really hoped they'd revert in back for the release version, but alas no.
  • Options
    Nate Silver
    Here's why Clinton's Electoral College position is considerably worse than Obama's: https://t.co/jnXTHigneb https://t.co/stT7QghR54
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Ah, so you're a Kipper.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

That last one is annoying. Was my only comment back to them as a beta tester, really hoped they'd revert in back for the release version, but alas no.
    Just checked out the xperia xz

Looks pretty good. I like Android, since I moved from ny second generation iphone I have not looked back.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Ah, so you're a Kipper.
    The same way Trump is a Democrat?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Nate Silver
    Here's why Clinton's Electoral College position is considerably worse than Obama's: https://t.co/jnXTHigneb https://t.co/stT7QghR54

Now where is the link to that Hillary landslide article....
  • Options
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Ah, so you're a Kipper.
    Trump is a showman trying to be a politician (perhaps successfully).

Plato is someone who accused others of being TINO's, before coming out as one herself. ;)
  • Options

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Ah, so you're a Kipper.

Plato is someone who accused others of being TINO's, before coming out as one herself. ;)
    What's a TINO?
  • Options
    Jim Pickard
    JC ally: "Jeremy hasn’t led anything. He’s used to talking about Nicaraguan peasant co-operatives while people nod." https://t.co/pqrOh348Dl
  • Options
    Another iOS feature. Once you've typed a comment in this box, it slightly zooms the screen so that you can't read all of the other comments without unzooming. My natural conservative nature coming out: change is annoying.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Ah, so you're a Kipper.

What's a TINO?
    Tory In Name Only.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Looks pretty good. I like Android, since I moved from ny second generation iphone I have not looked back.
    If you order it now they'll chuck in headphones with a £150 rrp, though you probably won't be able to flog them for as much. Makes for a decent present though.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Ah, so you're a Kipper.

What's a TINO?
    Tory In Name Only.
    Sort of like a TPD?
  • Options
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Nate Silver

The POTUS race is so entertaining - Trump's stunt today has really amused/irked the media.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Ah, so you're a Kipper.

What's a TINO?
    Tory In Name Only.
    Sort of like a TPD?
    :)
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Ah, so you're a Kipper.

What's a TINO?
    Tory In Name Only.
    Sort of like a TPD?
    :)
    Bloody splitters.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Nate Silver

The POTUS race is so entertaining - Trump's stunt today has really amused/irked the media.
    Top trolling.
  • Options

It seems some in the media are already gunning for the PM. Her low profile obviously irritates them but I hope she doesn't change, as it is not her style. Unfortunately it allows the "new bastards" Soubry, Morgan and Osborne to dominate the airwaves.

The Conservatives need to be very careful, because I think Labour, in spite of their dire position at the moment, could come together very quickly. Especially, if some of the moderates get back on the front bench, as I personally think they will.

Despite Corbyn's atrocious ratings the Labour brand is still popular - people see that its a much bigger movement than one man, and they've had duff leaders before and recovered.

Osbornites would do well to remember that currently May is more popular than her party - if they're interested in hanging onto their seats they'd be well advised to tread carefully.....
  • Options

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Ah, so you're a Kipper.

As a card carrying Tory and active member for several years past - I beg to differ. I renewed in May - however the jury is out for me now until May + appts convince me again.
  • Options
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Nate Silver

Top trolling.
    I'm not actually convinced that Trump is THAT right wing. He is well to the left of Tea Party types, he just delivers a lot of Hyperbole.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

If you order it now they'll chuck in headphones with a £150 rrp, though you probably won't be able to flog them for as much. Makes for a decent present though.
    Sounds useful, though I do rather like my noise cancelling Sennheisers. Great for flying. Apple are never going to make anything like these:

http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/high-end-headphones-audiophile-stereo-pxc-450
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Ah, so you're a Kipper.

As a card carrying Tory and active member for several years past - I beg to differ. I renewed in May - however the jury is out for me now until May + appts convince me again.
    I might suggest that donating to a rival political party is not consistent with being a member of another party. ;)

TINO.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Ah, so you're a Kipper.

Hm, a bit naughty to donate to a party while member of another don't you think? Although £20 isn't exactly a huge amount of money!!
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Ah, so you're a Kipper.

I might suggest that donating to a rival political party is not consistent with being a member of another party. ;)

TINO.
    Such things are the source of Labour expulsions.

I understand though. TM is rather unappetising.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

DJ is a bit too much Southern Tory in outlook.

The alternatives are a southern Tory, a London based 'terrorist sympathiser' and an irrelevant, pro-EU god-botherer.
    Perhaps the Democratic Unionists should start organising across the North. They are basically a socially conservative version of Old Labour.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Lets face it that is the REAL allegiance these days, more so than Brexit/Remainer; Corbynite/Tory - are you an APPLE man or an Android fan :) ?

Android here too :D
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Lets face it that is the REAL allegiance these days, more so than Brexit/Remainer; Corbynite/Tory - are you an APPLE man or an Android fan :) ?

Apple is for image obsessed metropolitan liberals who are not being taxed highly enough
  • Options
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Ah, so you're a Kipper.

Hm, a bit naughty to donate to a party while member of another don't you think? Although £20 isn't exactly a huge amount of money!!
    No, I wouldn't have renewed in May if I knew what Cameron/Osborne were going to do during the campaign. I don't consider myself a Tory now or a backer of any Party.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Ah, so you're a Kipper.

No, I wouldn't have renewed in May if I knew what Cameron/Osborne were going to do during the campaign. I don't consider myself a Tory now or a backer of any Party.
    That's fair enough!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Apple is for image obsessed metropolitan liberals who are not being taxed highly enough
    Does 2 out of 3 count ;-)

Definitely not an Apple fan, though the imac I have as a home desktop is still going strong.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Nate Silver

Top trolling.
    He really does know how to play the media at their own game. They don't like it up 'em!
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Windows 10 for Mobile?

• Options
    JonathanD said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Windows 10 for Mobile?

Natural Law Party?
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Windows 10 for Mobile?

Symbian?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Nate Silver

Top trolling.
    He really does know how to play the media at their own game. They don't like it up 'em!
    From the article

"Clinton leads Trump by 2.2 percentage points in the national popular vote, according to our polls-only forecast. Trump has already shaved several percentage points off Clinton’s advantage"

At the moment that is 1.6 and going down faster than a $20 whore.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited September 2016

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sounds useful, though I do rather like my noise cancelling Sennheisers. Great for flying. Apple are never going to make anything like these:

http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/high-end-headphones-audiophile-stereo-pxc-450
    Three hundred and seventy quid for a set of headphones! They don't even have a built in microphone let alone a three point IR. Crazy waste of a lot of money there, Doc.
This discussion has been closed.