Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why part of my expected Diane James winnings will go on Jus

SystemSystem Posts: 11,713
edited September 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why part of my expected Diane James winnings will go on Justine Greening – 20/1 to be next cabinet minster out

A new YouGov poll this morning finds that there has been a less than overwhelming response to TMay’s main domestic policy – the return of grammar schools. 34% say they back the plan; 25% want all existing grammars closed and 20% thought things should stay as they are.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Britain First.
  • Options
    Lib Dem gain from Labour

Tupton (North East Derbyshire) result:
    LDEM: 38.3% (+38.3)
    LAB: 34.7% (-32.4)
    CON: 17.5% (-15.4)
    UKIP: 8.9% (+8.9)
    BPP: 0.7% (+0.7)
  • Options
    The CSU leader is threatening to withdraw support from Merkel's candidature in 2017 if she doesn't implement an upper limit on refugees.
  • Options
    @David_Evershed The Lib Dems just nosed it there.
  • Options
    In other results

Blakelaw (Newcastle upon Tyne) result:
    LAB: 43.2% (-20.0)
    LDEM: 28.1% (+19.0)
    UKIP: 19.1% (+3.0)
    CON: 5.1% (-2.4)
    GRN: 4.5% (+0.5)

Puckeridge (East Hertfordshire) result:
    CON: 42.9% (-24.6)
    UKIP: 18.9% (+18.9)
    LDEM: 18.0% (+18.0)
    LAB: 11.0% (-8.9)
    GRN: 9.1% (-3.5)

Castle (Carlisle) result:
    LAB: 46.5% (+9.2)
    CON: 26.7% (+7.7)
    UKIP: 12.5% (-10.4)
    LDEM: 10.3% (-0.6)
    GRN: 4.0% (-3.5)

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    Not a bad bet, the policy has not been thought through well enough and having a comprehensive educated person implement wider academic selection seems like a crazy move on the face of it.
  • Options
    Diane James would be a excellent choice as UKIP leader imho, she might even convince some of the UKIP ladies not to abandon ship.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2016
    FPT:

Reading Nick's article, and the Paul Waugh article which Plato just linked to, prompted me to look again at the 'Corbyn To Go Before Next General Election?' market on Betfair.

I was already on No, and I've just topped up at 1.5. This looks like a no-brainer to me, apart from actuarial risk. Sad though it is from the points of view both of entertainment and of betting opportunities, I have to say that Nick is right when he says in his article: Forget about a third leadership election before 2020. Once was necessary when Ed stood down. Twice was perhaps understandable in view of the PLP unrest. Three would be ridiculous. At some point the result of elections needs to be respected, and we’ve reached it.

In addition, there's a kind of stalemate which makes Corbyn's position very strong indeed.
  • Options

@David_Evershed The Lib Dems just nosed it there.

Still, not bad for their first bite at the cherry.
  • Options
    It seems that harmony is not likely to break out in UKIP any time soon:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/776683734695161857
  • Options
    @AlastairMeeks - to be fair, Farage is right on that.
  • Options
    Justine Greening seems to be hanging on just waiting for May's grammar school policy to get kicked into the long grass and wither on the vine. Indeed she might have some influence in making the long grass grow longer still.
  • Options
    @Richard_Nabavi Is there any reason why Douglas Carswell couldn't rejoin the Conservatives now? Brexit has been voted for and his pathological hatred of David Cameron is no longer a relevant consideration on either side.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,434

Diane James would be a excellent choice as UKIP leader imho, she might even convince some of the UKIP ladies not to abandon ship.

Great. 2 sugars love.
  • Options

@Richard_Nabavi Is there any reason why Douglas Carswell couldn't rejoin the Conservatives now? Brexit has been voted for and his pathological hatred of David Cameron is no longer a relevant consideration on either side.

No reason that I can see. He might prefer to be an independent, though.
  • Options

Maybe Theresa will wheel him out mid-conference.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,974

It seems that harmony is not likely to break out in UKIP any time soon:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/776683734695161857

They've kinda lost their mojo, now that they've achieved the ambition that held them together as a party. Now they're showing their differences, which were always there but now come to the fore.
  • Options
    I note that Douglas Carswell did retweet this:

https://twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/776677681039601665

Though that might just be internal party score-settling, I suppose.
  • Options

And it is not as if he was particularly reliable the first time around. An independent if slightly eccentric and occasionally interesting thinker. Doesn't really do party politics.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Would May even accept him? She doesn't need him.

If he switched, he would have to fight another by-election. This time he might lose.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited September 2016
    Off topic but a fabulous website on the history of London Transport Bus Stops.

http://www.eplates.info.
  • Options

Maybe Theresa will wheel him out mid-conference.
    With the divisions in all of the parties at the moment, I'd currently be more surprised not to see a couple of defections at some point during the conference season.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,014
    edited September 2016
    I think 20-1 is a very fair price and have followed our genial host in on this one.

A nice tip :)
  • Options
    I also the forthcoming contretemps over Heathrow makes this a good bet
  • Options
    Very good interview on R4 this morning with Osborne. It was really novel hearing an intelligent grown up politician on that program.
  • Options
    Clacton is going blue at the next GE - it doesn't matter if Carswell fights it alone or under UKIP
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

If he switched, he would have to fight another by-election. This time he might lose.

In practice he'll vote with the government on most of the key issues, so you are right, she doesn't really need him.

Another by-election would be a bit irritating to the good citizens of Clacton.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

It looks like it's going ahead given Boris' outburst.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,213
    Not a politician....

http://tinyurl.com/jml2v2a
  • Options
    Off topic, I see that Betfair punters seem to have decided that Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden aren't poised to step into Hillary Clinton's $5000 shoes.
  • Options

Off topic, I see that Betfair punters seem to have decided that Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden aren't poised to step into Hillary Clinton's $5000 shoes.

I seem to have a 4 digit red number next to Joe Biden...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    edited September 2016
    UKIP, Conservative, Labour

#FerretsInASack

• Options
    With Osborne starting to build a small challenge to May, she would be advised to make sure she bends to the wises of the three Brexiteers in the cabinet and keeps them on board.

Osborne's challenge is good for hard Brexit lovers.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    FPT
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: MPs to debate recommissioning Britannia for Brexit trade talks next month: https://t.co/AfTmdV9JCE

How desperate can they get
    From the people I've spoken to over the years, it was surprising impactful in trade. People really liked being invited onto the "Royal Yacht" for trade talks. Idiotic and superficial, but very effective and low cost branding. So why not?
    Quite. Republicans in the U.K. underestimate the impact these symbols have abroad. Worth every penny in marketing Britain across the world. Even £100m isn't much when spread over 30 or 40 years.
    Very true, Mr. Pit, the figures are trivial and were equally so when Brown refused the cash to replace Britannia. The decision I am sure was taken not for monetary reasons but out of spite.

To have a new Royal Yacht would be a cracking idea, not least for the reasons Mr. Charles mentions (assuming there is a shipyard in the UK capable of building such a thing), but to dig the old girl out of retirement would be a very bad idea on so many levels.

One idea I did have a few years ago was that a new yacht could be built by public subscription. The livery companies in the City are filthy rich and their members even more so. Given the right approach I think one could raise £100 million for a Royal Yacht out of the city in about a month, maybe six weeks. Crikey you could probably get that much out of the Goldsmiths alone. Open the subscription up to the wider public and there would be more than enough.

The problem would be crewing the vessel. The RN haven't got enough sailors to crew their existing ships.
  • Options

Just as well. I think she is down to one of them.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

FPT

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: MPs to debate recommissioning Britannia for Brexit trade talks next month: https://t.co/AfTmdV9JCE

From the people I've spoken to over the years, it was surprising impactful in trade. People really liked being invited onto the "Royal Yacht" for trade talks. Idiotic and superficial, but very effective and low cost branding. So why not?
    Quite. Republicans in the U.K. underestimate the impact these symbols have abroad. Worth every penny in marketing Britain across the world. Even £100m isn't much when spread over 30 or 40 years.
    Very true, Mr. Pit, the figures are trivial and were equally so when Brown refused the cash to replace Britannia. The decision I am sure was taken not for monetary reasons but out of spite.

To have a new Royal Yacht would be a cracking idea, not least for the reasons Mr. Charles mentions (assuming there is a shipyard in the UK capable of building such a thing), but to dig the old girl out of retirement would be a very bad idea on so many levels.

One idea I did have a few years ago was that a new yacht could be built by public subscription. The livery companies in the City are filthy rich and their members even more so. Given the right approach I think one could raise £100 million for a Royal Yacht out of the city in about a month, maybe six weeks. Crikey you could probably get that much out of the Goldsmiths alone. Open the subscription up to the wider public and there would be more than enough.

The problem would be crewing the vessel. The RN haven't got enough sailors to crew their existing ships.
    Didn't Lord Ashcroft or someone try to raise cash back then?
  • Options
    @Pulpstar What a nice dilemma to have.
  • Options

FPT:

Reading Nick's article, and the Paul Waugh article which Plato just linked to, prompted me to look again at the 'Corbyn To Go Before Next General Election?' market on Betfair.

I was already on No, and I've just topped up at 1.5. This looks like a no-brainer to me, apart from actuarial risk. Sad though it is from the points of view both of entertainment and of betting opportunities, I have to say that Nick is right when he says in his article: Forget about a third leadership election before 2020. Once was necessary when Ed stood down. Twice was perhaps understandable in view of the PLP unrest. Three would be ridiculous. At some point the result of elections needs to be respected, and we’ve reached it.

In addition, there's a kind of stalemate which makes Corbyn's position very strong indeed.

sounds good to me, I also think I have a few (At longer odds of course) Corbyn out in 2018/19 and a 9-2 for him to be out in 2020.

Just have to hope the "purge" hasn't worked too well for Smith...
  • Options

FPT

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Rule Britannia.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

With Osborne starting to build a small challenge to May, she would be advised to make sure she bends to the wises of the three Brexiteers in the cabinet and keeps them on board.

I don't know what Osborne is so bitter about. He sealed his own fate. It's not like Theresa could have kept him on in a high profile job after the referendum fiasco...

If he'd had any sense (and dignity) he'd have announced his intention to resign on his own terms with Cameron shortly after the referendum.
  • Options

Will just let it run :)
  • Options
    @Richard_Nabavi Of course till next GE isn't necessarily 2020. An early election would improve the bet even further ;).

As is an 11% annualised tax free return is not to be sniffed out.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Thank goodness. We are way behind in having the argument about the next runway (after this one) in the south east. If there is to be any chance of it happening before 2050 we need to start the moaning and protesting and investigating and reporting and indecision really soon.
  • Options

Apparently his constituency is getting horsed around with and getting more of Harwich back:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-37344068

I'd imagine it makes it harder to hold for UKIP. But I'm not sure if that also means that were he to go back to Con he'd need a fight to the death with some sitting MP to get on the ballot.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I don't know what Osborne is so bitter about. He sealed his own fate. It's not like Theresa could have kept him on in a high profile job after the referendum fiasco...

If he'd had any sense (and dignity) he'd have announced his intention to resign on his own terms with Cameron shortly after the referendum.
    Did you actually listen to his interview? It wasn't bitter at all.

He's enough of a pro to realise that politics is a brutal game, and fortunes can turn on a sixpence. Who knows what the situation will look like in a few years' time?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Thank goodness. We are way behind in having the argument about the next runway (after this one) in the south east. If there is to be any chance of it happening before 2050 we need to start the moaning and protesting and investigating and reporting and indecision really soon.
    Lol, by 2022 when the third runway is nearing completion we'll need a second one at Gatwick and a fourth at Heathrow! I think we should build two at Heathrow, one at Gatwick and one at stansted. Close Luton airport.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Richard_Nabavi Of course till next GE isn't necessarily 2020. An early election would improve the bet even further ;).

As is an 11% annualised tax free return is not to be sniffed out.

And I expect it will be possible to cash out earlier.
  • Options

It should be, but her political advisors are making mistakes.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

He's enough of a pro to realise that politics is a brutal game, and fortunes can turn on a sixpence. Who knows what the situation will look like in a few years' time?
    He might be bitter that Cameron didn't listen to his advice that an EU referendum was a "crazy idea".
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Yes, his time could come again, once Brexit is done and not reversible his stock will rise. He will never be leader while Brexit is still in process.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

GIN1138 said:

Well of course he wouldn't admit to being bitter... But we know enough about the character to know that he and his "think tank" will be a thorn in the side of Theresa May and when she eventually leaves office he'll probably play a big part in her downfall...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Very good interview on R4 this morning with Osborne. It was really novel hearing an intelligent grown up politician on that program.

Nick Robinson is I agree quite good.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes, his time could come again, once Brexit is done and not reversible his stock will rise. He will never be leader while Brexit is still in process.
    Or, Brexit has proved such an economic disaster, or indeed, actually technically too impossible to implement, that his foresight becomes recognized.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Well of course he wouldn't admit to being bitter... But we know enough about the character to know that he and his "think tank" will be a thorn in the side of Theresa May and when she eventually leaves office he'll probably play a big part in her downfall...

Quite possibly. Certainly the PM has not exactly gone out of her way to be gracious towards him, which is a clear error.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Lol, by 2022 when the third runway is nearing completion we'll need a second one at Gatwick and a fourth at Heathrow! I think we should build two at Heathrow, one at Gatwick and one at stansted. Close Luton airport.
    I would certainly give the go ahead for a second one at Gatwick now, in addition to Heathrow. We honestly make ourselves look ridiculous with this nonsense.
  • Options
    There must have been a rush.
    Ladbrokes aren't taking bets on J. Greening (well not at 20).
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Or just build Boris Island. Even with all the infrastructure costs it would probably be quicker and cheaper.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

It's been talked about for at least 20 years so far, and the decision - if and when it is made - will only start the planning process and inevitable public enquiry, which will waste another few years.

Major planning reform is long overdue, would be my #1 suggestion for the Queen's Speech.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Why is Stanstead never in the mix?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Quite possibly. Certainly the PM has not exactly gone out of her way to be gracious towards him, which is a clear error.
    Well I'll always be grateful to her for sending him slinking off out the back door! :smiley:
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

People hate Ryanair?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited September 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Will just let it run :)
    I'm -2.5k on biden/sanders/bloomberg/gore/obama (michelle) and a few others

My guess/hope is the clinton/trump book will tighten up to ~99% as the debates approach.

That would leave;

500 johnson
    500 Pence
    500 Kaine
    1000 Biden
    >=1000 sanders
    500 Gop (other)

Realistic prices, IMO

The best POTUS bet is laying sanders.
  • Options

FPT:

What I think you are missing is that Corbyn is not capable of leading. He cannot do unity because he cannot do compromise. This is what will do for him. And that's why I think it is an excellent idea for the PLP to do as much as it can to be seen to be pushing for unity.
  • Options

Good headed tips don't last long at the price.

Shadsy will put her back in at 12s maybe.
  • Options
    On topic, Ladbrokes give 21 names and if you backed everyone who was quoted at 25/1 or longer without looking, you wouldn't go all that far wrong. Justine Greening was ok value at 20/1 but I wouldn't back her at shorter odds.

I'm not playing this market at present though.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Paradise? No, Luton Airport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaEjIlZsuTg
  • Options

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Or just build Boris Island. Even with all the infrastructure costs it would probably be quicker and cheaper.
    Nah, I've looked at BI plans over and over. Its just pie in the sky. 4 runways in the Thames Estuary means the site will have to be huge and recovering the land will cost tens of billions. In addition, 4 runways isn't enough at such an isolated airport, Heathrow will still have some feed in from other London airports as it does now negating the need for further expansion, BI won't benefit from that easily.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

To blow my own trumpet: I tipped her on here to be first out just after the grammar school stuff kicked off.
  • Options

What I think you are missing is that Corbyn is not capable of leading. He cannot do unity because he cannot do compromise. This is what will do for him. And that's why I think it is an excellent idea for the PLP to do as much as it can to be seen to be pushing for unity.

Oh, I agree. I certainly don't share Nick's view that everyone in the party can simply pretend to be friends again and the problem will go away. But that doesn't mean Corbyn can realistically be dislodged, having won (as we assume) two leadership elections in decisive fashion, and with no mechanism to dislodge him.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes, we were rather spoilt by GE-2015 when the value bets lasted for months and were still there on election day.
  • Options
    Right so far today I've:

Backed a 20-1 shot,
    Backed a 1.5
    And laid an 80-1 outsider !
  • Options

Jonathan said:

In practice he'll vote with the government on most of the key issues, so you are right, she doesn't really need him.

Another by-election would be a bit irritating to the good citizens of Clacton.
    And amusing in the unlikely event that old wonky chin lost to a proper UKIP candidate.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yes, we were rather spoilt by GE-2015 when the value bets lasted for months and were still there on election day.
    Truro and Falmouth @ 1-4 was the one I really couldn't get my head round.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Nah, I've looked at BI plans over and over. Its just pie in the sky. 4 runways in the Thames Estuary means the site will have to be huge and recovering the land will cost tens of billions. In addition, 4 runways isn't enough at such an isolated airport, Heathrow will still have some feed in from other London airports as it does now negating the need for further expansion, BI won't benefit from that easily.
    The estuary is also home to lots of birds - go watch the Sully movie for details - and USS Montgomery is still there. Would also need airspace co-ordination with AMS which currently uses a lot of the Channel.
    The business plan for BI only works if LHR gets sold off to build a new town, but BI is completely the wrong side of London for most of the South East to get to it. Business located along the M3 and M4 corridors need the airport to be where it is. Would probably have to widen the whole M25 to accommodate the traffic too.
  • Options
    Has Phil Hammond actually said anything (About anything) yet ?

He seems a remarkably quiet chancellor.
  • Options

Oh, I agree. I certainly don't share Nick's view that everyone in the party can simply pretend to be friends again and the problem will go away. But that doesn't mean Corbyn can realistically be dislodged, having won (as we assume) two leadership elections in decisive fashion, and with no mechanism to dislodge him.

Yep, Nick does have a remarkably rosy view. My guess is that Corbyn will face a challenge in 2018 (once the Unite leadership election is out of the way) and that he will either lose or step down prior to the contest taking place.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

The estuary is also home to lots of birds - go watch the Sully movie for details - and USS Montgomery is still there. Would also need airspace co-ordination with AMS which currently uses a lot of the Channel.
    The business plan for BI only works if LHR gets sold off to build a new town, but BI is completely the wrong side of London for most of the South East to get to it. Business located along the M3 and M4 corridors need the airport to be where it is. Would probably have to widen the whole M25 to accommodate the traffic too.

But other than that, it's a good idea?

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

People hate Ryanair?
    Maybe because you have to jog a marathon to get to/from the departure gates.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Most London airports are in the wrong place if one lives N of the Severn/Wash line. Heathrow has no rail connection from the west, only a bus from Reading. Gatwick takes 80 minutes from Reading and the line isn't even electrified. I can get a train from Ludlow to Manchester airport in about 2 hours but Stansted would take 5 hours ... plus an allowance for missing connecting trains.

Half the UK population lives N of the Severn/Wash line, yet 99% of the attention is on London. At the time of the Channel Tunnel, through trains; e.g., Manchester or Birmingham to Paris, were promised. It never happened; we just got a white elephant at Waterloo!
  • Options
    Ben Bradshaw doesn't sound ready to kiss and make up with the current leadership:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/16/jeremy-corbyn-no-leader-labour-mps-accused-abusing
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2016

Ben Bradshaw doesn't sound ready to kiss and make up with the current leadership:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/16/jeremy-corbyn-no-leader-labour-mps-accused-abusing

Ben ‘Corbyn abuser’ Bradshaw does rather prove the point, the PLP will not achieve reconciliation by making Sept 24th the start of year zero, NickP ™. There’s too much bad blood and built up resentment to let sleeping dogs lie.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,377

Yes, and I'm not naive enough to think that the issue will just go away. But at this point, as SO observes, the PLP is best advised to be seen to be giving unity a try.

Corbyn has compromised several times - not pressing his NATO scepticism or his republicanism, agreeing that his reference to Hamas as "friends" was a mistake and tacitly agreeing to a free vote on Trident (not yet formalised but it's clearly coming). He's not an elastic politician like Boris, but he's learned as leader - a year ago I think he'd have walked into the "why not talk with ISIS?" trap that Owen walked into.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited September 2016
    Pulpstar said:

He's told EU nationals who have made their lives here, and in some cases (like my sister in law), married and had children here - that their rights can't be guaranteed.

On the other hand, he's happy to publicly reassure bankers that there won't be a problem;

http://www.ftadviser.com/2016/09/09/regulation/eu-legislation/hammond-to-save-bankers-from-eu-migration-curbs-mkDYpkCp73YFs8MCsWnAqK/article.html

In the tory worldview bankers need security and certainty.

Families, apparently, don't.
  • Options
    Hmm, not often I say this, but here's an interesting comment piece by Gaby Hinsliff:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/16/theresa-may-doctrine-grammar-schools
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

He's told EU nationals who have made their lives here, and in some cases (like my sister in law), married and had children here - that their rights can't be guaranteed.

On the other hand, he's happy to publicly reassure bankers that there won't be a problem;

http://www.ftadviser.com/2016/09/09/regulation/eu-legislation/hammond-to-save-bankers-from-eu-migration-curbs-mkDYpkCp73YFs8MCsWnAqK/article.html

Not quite.

What he (or at least May) has said is that they would like to guarantee the rights, but it is contingent on the rights of British citizens living in the EU being guaranteed.

If the EU would show a willingness to be sensible this could be taken off the table very quickly.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Not quite.

What he (or at least May) has said is that they would like to guarantee the rights, but it is contingent on the rights of British citizens living in the EU being guaranteed.

If the EU would show a willingness to be sensible this could be taken off the table very quickly.
    This point is often not made. The EU have not guaranteed British residents rights either.

I think it would be reckless of HMG to surrender this card until they have.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Most London airports are in the wrong place if one lives N of the Severn/Wash line. Heathrow has no rail connection from the west, only a bus from Reading. Gatwick takes 80 minutes from Reading and the line isn't even electrified. I can get a train from Ludlow to Manchester airport in about 2 hours but Stansted would take 5 hours ... plus an allowance for missing connecting trains.

Half the UK population lives N of the Severn/Wash line, yet 99% of the attention is on London. At the time of the Channel Tunnel, through trains; e.g., Manchester or Birmingham to Paris, were promised. It never happened; we just got a white elephant at Waterloo!
    Don't disagree with any of that, but the vast majority of the population who use LHR would have to get across London to use a new island airport.

Joined up decision making would give the go-ahead to LHR and HS2 at the same time, and have the railway go to the airport.

Crossrail will I think allow direct trains from Reading to Heathrow when it opens, which will allow much better access for those without a car. Some more joined up thinking would build a massive park and ride on the route - maybe somewhere West of Maidenhead, near where the A404M crosses the train line.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

FPT

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

The Goldsmiths spend a huge amount of money on education and training for the craft these days. We're not just sitting around counting our shekels.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Don't disagree with any of that. Joined up decision making would give the go-ahead to LHR and HS2 at the same time, and have the railway go to the airport.

Crossrail will I think allow direct trains from Reading to Heathrow when it opens, which will allow much better access for those without a car. Some more joined up thinking would build a massive park and ride on the route - maybe somewhere West of Maidenhead, near where the A404M crosses the train line.

Yes, and also make more use of Birmingham airport, which will be less than an hour from Euston if and when HS2 is up and running.
  • Options
    On the Brittania, I've been told by someone who has been to a few soirées that an invitation to a party on the Royal Yacht was essentially impossible to turn down for anyone. It didn't matter if it was Bill Gates or Bill Clinton being invited, no one would ever turn it down.

If we are going to become a trading nation again then we'll need a method of getting people together in a way that can't be offered by any other nation. The Brittania seems a solution to me, even a new replacement for a £100-150m would be worth it.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Don't disagree with any of that. Joined up decision making would give the go-ahead to LHR and HS2 at the same time, and have the railway go to the airport.

Yes, and also make more use of Birmingham airport, which will be less than an hour from Euston if and when HS2 is up and running.
    HS2 going to heathrow would be pointless. In most cases you would still have to get a train onto your terminal from whichever terminal the HS2 station is.

So old oak common is just as good a point and would save a fortune
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Good point. They recently lengthened the runway there, Emirates have started flying A380s in now.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237

Charles said:

Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Not quite.

This point is often not made. The EU have not guaranteed British residents rights either.

I think it would be reckless of HMG to surrender this card until they have.
    Why should they? Just because a Brexiteer fantasist says something will happen does not mean it will. We had Raab spring again yesterday that the EU will be falling over themselves to give us a good trade deal. More bilge from the Brexit camp.
  • Options
    All about him, right to the end:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37384865
  • Options
    Ladbroke's betting on Witney

Tories 1/100
    Labour & LibDems 25/1
    UKIP 50/1
    Greens 100/1

https://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/betting/politics/british/local-by-elections/witney-by-election/222606550/
  • Options
    Charles said:

FPT

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

The Goldsmiths spend a huge amount of money on education and training for the craft these days. We're not just sitting around counting our shekels.
    Have you reviewed the situation thoroughly enough to ensure your pound of flesh ;) ?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

What would she offer that May does not? Apart from social skills of course.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Don't bankers have families too?

This discussion has been closed.