Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s by election roundup

13»

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Labour having another crap night with the by-elections I see.
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I am right to describe Henry IV as the country's most famous usurper? Or am I missing someone more obvious.

It depends which country. In Scotland, Robert the Bruce. Maybe higher celeb status than Henry IV?
    Henry IV wins because Shakespeare did a play on it.
    Yeah, but Brucie gets the spider.

... Oh and the Mel Gibson treatment. What does your Will Shakespeare say to that?
    Only the true historical greats get a Shakespeare play about them, the duffers don't.

That's why Julius Caesar got a play, and Hannibal didn't.

Re Mel Gibson, I can't imagine why an alcoholic racist thought he'd be ideal to play a Scotsman.
    Macbeth was quite a famous usurper.
    Yah, but Macbeth was a fictional character, I'm talking about real people.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Jezza utterly dominated QT... Owen Who looked petulant, childish, mean spirited and undemocratic.... Which is exactly what he is of course.

Sounded like I was wise to give it a miss and make some jam instead.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Labour having another crap night with the by-elections I see.

But Jezza is a winner. Winning all over the country. All the time. Forever.
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I am right to describe Henry IV as the country's most famous usurper? Or am I missing someone more obvious.

It depends which country. In Scotland, Robert the Bruce. Maybe higher celeb status than Henry IV?

... Oh and the Mel Gibson treatment. What does your Will Shakespeare say to that?
    Only the true historical greats get a Shakespeare play about them, the duffers don't.

Re Mel Gibson, I can't imagine why an alcoholic racist thought he'd be ideal to play a Scotsman.
    He was a real person. Whether he was a real usurper is less clear.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Mortimer said:

Mansfield figures
    Lab 278
    MIF 148
    UKIP 105
    Con 41
    Ind 36

I see the LD fightback continues apace....

:)
    Sad to say I read that as MILF 148. Now that's a party I'd like to....vote for.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,885

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I'm not sure about that theory. What about the the three plays about Henry VI and the one about King John?

Macbeth probably didn't usurp the Scottish throne in reality. Duncan appears to have been killed in battle and was replaced by Macbeth. The history of that period is murky and in any case kingship was looser at that time.
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Yeah, I meant real person/real life events.

Bugger, do I go for Henry Bolingbroke or Macbeth
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Yeah, I meant real person/real life events.

Bugger, do I go for Henry Bolingbroke or Macbeth
    Split the difference and go for Henry II. He was a kinda-sorta usurper.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784

nunu said:

Alistair said:

The only thing that worries my, Hillary will win, prediction is the stonkingly high undecided figures in many polls.

I've seen in two polls now when pushed they favour Hillary something like 50-12%.
    They would say that, wouldn't they? If they're Trump voters who don't want to admit it then that's the result you'd expect from a forced choice.
    Or they prefer hillary to a racist putin lover who doesnt know what he is doing
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Iirc he committed the crime of not being related to James I/VI.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,338
    edited September 2016
    619 said:

nunu said:

Alistair said:

The only thing that worries my, Hillary will win, prediction is the stonkingly high undecided figures in many polls.

I've seen in two polls now when pushed they favour Hillary something like 50-12%.
    They would say that, wouldn't they? If they're Trump voters who don't want to admit it then that's the result you'd expect from a forced choice.
    If that's true, why are they on the fence?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,031
    619 said:

nunu said:

Alistair said:

Hilary must be really crap for him to be this close in the polls!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Pulpstar said:

Just been watching the debate and my conclusion is

Labour is far better off under Corbyn than Owen Smith. Smith is DREADFUL.

Anecdote alert. Staying with a friend who has a vote as a Labour Party member (rejoined last year). Can't bring herself to vote Corbyn again. He's a loser. Can't bring herself to vote for Smith. He's a prat. Wants to spoil her paper by writing in a candidate. But can't think of anyone that might make Labour electable again.

She reckons Labour is screwed. And worried that if May DOES deliver on some of her more populist ideas, Labour is terminally screwed.
  • Options
    Unite union gave Len McCluskey £400,000 'loan' to buy London flat

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/08/unite-union-gave-len-mccluskey-400000-loan-to-buy-london-flat

Nothing too good for the weeerkers....
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I'm not sure about that theory. What about the the three plays about Henry VI and the one about King John?

Macbeth probably didn't usurp the Scottish throne in reality. Duncan appears to have been killed in battle and was replaced by Macbeth. The history of that period is murky and in any case kingship was looser at that time.
    I think I'm still traumatised from going to see a performance of Macbeth back in my schooldays.

I was in the front row, and I was not expecting Lady Macbeth to pee on stage
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Wiliiam the Conqueror, Stephen, Edward IV, Richard III, William of Orange.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Anecdote alert. Staying with a friend who has a vote as a Labour Party member (rejoined last year). Can't bring herself to vote Corbyn again. He's a loser. Can't bring herself to vote for Smith. He's a prat. Wants to spoil her paper by writing in a candidate. But can't think of anyone that might make Labour electable again.

She reckons Labour is screwed. And worried that if May DOES deliver on some of her more populist ideas, Labour is terminally screwed.
    The lack of talent on the Labour benches is really the central problem. There just isn't anyone who has the political wow factor who can be a leader to unite the party and the PLP.

I know there are those who have mentioned Lewis as a potential future leader - but he just comes over as a political thug from everything I have seen. Burgon is a prat. And the new intake of Corbynite women are just universally awful - Cat Smith being the worst.

Cooper, Burnham don't have it in them - Chuka has too much going on in Narnia to be a possible leader.

There is no real talent there - and that comes down to the Brown/Blair years where there was no succession planning and talent stayed away from Labour.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    619 said:

nunu said:

Alistair said:

Well I understand that the Clinton Foundation received large amounts of money from Russia in connection with Uranium exploration.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/cash-flowed-to-clinton-foundation-as-russians-pressed-for-control-of-uranium-company.html?_r=0
  • Options
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

619 said:

nunu said:

Alistair said:

Well I understand that the Clinton Foundation received large amounts of money from Russia in connection with Uranium exploration.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/cash-flowed-to-clinton-foundation-as-russians-pressed-for-control-of-uranium-company.html?_r=0
    I wonder why Trump is happy to bang on about Putin / let be accused of connections to Russia, when there is Clinton Foundation elephant in the room?
  • Options
    Hillary.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    edited September 2016

Unite union gave Len McCluskey £400,000 'loan' to buy London flat

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/08/unite-union-gave-len-mccluskey-400000-loan-to-buy-london-flat

Nothing too good for the weeerkers....

When is he up for re-election?

2018 apparently - so a bit early to be undermining him. Unless they are trying to force him out sooner.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Of course he's dreadful, he recorded the second-worst Labour result ever in Pontypridd. The worst was him again, in 2010.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    RobD said:

619 said:

nunu said:

Alistair said:

She is.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

619 said:

nunu said:

Alistair said:

I wonder why Trump is happy to bang on about Putin / let be accused of connections to Russia, when there is Clinton Foundation elephant in the room?
    https://twitter.com/N650AS/status/735806013669056512
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,766
    edited September 2016
    Well I've stuck with the Bolingbroke comparison.

Thanks for your input everybody.

Goodnight
  • Options

619 said:

nunu said:

Alistair said:

They are on the fence as they hate both candidates but, if pushed, prefer corruption over potential war.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

Sandpit said:

Mortimer said:

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

Woah. Not sure who comes across as more deluded in this QT - Corbynista audience or Owen Smith....

I don't think the pbCom right wingery, Brexit glitterati are best placed to give advice to the Labour party. I might be wrong.

Similarly, as a lefty, I am gobsmacked, that Theresa May is such a headbanging zealous, loony...where the hell did that come from? But I am not a right winger......so what the hell do I know?
    Not keen on the centre ground eh tyson?
    I wonder how long it will take for the Labour Party to realise that in order to win power, they need a couple of million people who voted Conservative for the last two elections to vote Labour.

Those people don't think that Britain's biggest problems are Palestine, insufficient immigration and unilateral disarmament.
    They also, largely, don't dine on quinoa or read the grauniad. The horror!
    Don't tell anyone, but I had quinoa the other day, and it was rather nice. Although I can't stomach the way it is pronounced: does one say "Ah, I loved that movie about the boxer Rocky Bill-bwahhh."
    Oh dear! Next you'll be having faro and spelt and be going gluten free.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,153
    rcs1000 said:

Their activist base, which had largely deserted them 18 months ago, is certainly working again. It is too early to say whether this will feed through to national success. (I define national success at 12-16 seats in 2020. Others may have a different definition.)

I think on the new boundaries national success for the Lib Dems will equate to at least half a dozen seats.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,372
    edited September 2016
    All schools to get a chance to become grammars under Theresa May's plans

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/08/all-schools-to-get-a-chance-to-become-grammars-under-theresa-may/

So we have gone from all schools should be academies, to all schools could change to be a grammar / selective.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mansfield figures
    Lab 278
    MIF 148
    UKIP 105
    Con 41
    Ind 36

Blimey. I don't know anything beyond 69 ...
  • Options

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/08/all-schools-to-get-a-chance-to-become-grammars-under-theresa-may/

So we have gone from all schools should be academies, to all schools could change to be a grammar / selective.

Yes, not quite sure how all schools can be selective...
  • Options
    RobD said:

It's like non competitive sports day.

You're all winners grammar schools today.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

619 said:

nunu said:

Alistair said:

I wonder if that is what Assange has up his sleeve. Could he have given Trump the heads up to enable him to set Hillary up?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Easy. You guys get to select the pupils no-one else wants ...
  • Options
    "We are entering the last few months of the Mugabe era. His health is not the real problem. Zimbabwe is now-spiralling downwards into an economic-crisis so vicious and acute that it leaves no possibility that the president, for all his famed-political skills and notorious readiness to resort to violence, can save himself. The situation is more serious than the hyperinflation of 2008, which was solved by switching to the dollar. This time there is no way out."

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/09/zimbabwe-will-sink-into-horror-and-depravity-unless-mugabe-quits-now/
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    RobD said:

619 said:

nunu said:

Alistair said:

I think the reality of American politics is the variance is really really low. The floors and ceilings are just a lot closer than in British politics, (in the last 50 years a double digit win has happened twice, and the last one was 32 years ago).

Obama comfortably (in American terms) beat Romney in 2012, but in the last six months of the campaign his average poll lead never got above +4.

Also I'm not entirely sure why, but in the last two races early September saw a surge for the Republican candidate, Romney tied, Mccain took the lead (I think the same thing happened in 2000 but not found the right source).

Hillary's ceiling is probably comparatively lower since she's been in the public eye longer (plus associated with Bill) and so has less cross-party flexbility (there's also interesting polling where her approval ratings have consistently dropped when she's campaigning vs when she's in office), but she's still likely to walk it.

(Not least because the state breakdown also looks difficult for Trump)
  • Options
    A very welcome prosiac tone from Hammond. < The Telegraph: European bankers will be exempt from migration curbs after Brexit, Philip Hammond reveals. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw1vmv8y0
  • Options
    Is that a rhetorical question...
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Mortimer said:

Mansfield figures
    Lab 278
    MIF 148
    UKIP 105
    Con 41
    Ind 36

Blimey. I don't know anything beyond 69 ...
    http://www.vox.com/2016/9/7/12813146/obama-rodrigo-duterte-son-of-a-whore

there's a MILF* reference in this article

"Rodrigo Duterte, the Philippines’s less racist but more murderous Donald Trump, explained"

*Moro Islamic Liberation Front
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Favourite tweet of the night

Tim Stanley
    Is David Dimbleby wearing a tie with flying pigs on it?!!! #bbcqt
  • Options
    Serena defeated at US Open by Karolina Pliskova.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

A big mistake..
  • Options
    fitalass said:

A big mistake..
    Most schools will have the opportunity to become secondary moderns
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    RobD said:

Easy. No education for many at all.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited September 2016

Labour HOLD Yeoman Hill (Mansfield).

Yeoman Hill (Mansfield) result:
    LAB: 45.7% (-4.5)
    MIF: 24.3% (-25.5)
    UKIP: 17.3% (+17.3)
    CON: 6.7% (+6.7)
    IND: 5.9% (+5.9)

MIF: Mansfield Independent Forum.

If only they were called Mansfield Independent Liberal Forum
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    edited September 2016
    1) Hillary Clinton isn't very good
    2) People eventually fall into line behind their party and America only has about 4 unaligned voters left, so there's an inevitable pull back to 50/50 even though one side is running a pathologically narcicistic version of Guy Goma
    3) Pollsters turning on their Likely Voter screens
  • Options

1) Hillary Clinton isn't very good
    2) People eventually fall into line behind their party and America only has about 4 unaligned voters left, so there's an inevitable pull back to 50/50 even though one side is running a pathologically narcicistic version of Guy Goma
    3) Pollsters turning on their Likely Voter screens
    1) HRCICIPOTUS?
  • Options
    new thread!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

619 said:

nunu said:

Alistair said:

Life long Republican voters I guess.
This discussion has been closed.