Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LEAVE back in the lead with YouGov while ORB phone sees gap

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LEAVE back in the lead with YouGov while ORB phone sees gap get narrower

Still to come the big National Centre survey – an academic project led by Professor John Curtice. This is embargoed until midnight although it has been widely reported showing a 6% REMAIN lead.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    Leavers = Roy Hodgson,

They are doing what they think is best for the country, but it turns into a disaster for the country
  • Options
    I'm calling it the Nigel Farage effect,

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/745001256217944068
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    This 'National Centre Survey', how accurate do we think this is compared to the other polls?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

Looks wrong to me.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    Leave will be pleased. There's been no real Remain surge.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

If Remain win this will be a huge personal victory for Cameron and to a lesser extent Osborne. He really hasn't had any sensible help from either Labour or the Lib Dems. In fact Labour have been a negative force.

Cameron's is not only the most successful Tory leader since Thatcher he's the most palatable in my life time. If there was an election next week I'd vote for him

That's his problem. Like Blair, opponents like him, as he alienates supporters.
    Dave is now the very embodiment of the establishment.

He owns the centre-ground.

If his right wing go nuts on Friday, he could play poker, pull the Ariel Sharon/Kadima stunt and probably get away with it.

He must be at least a little bit tempted...
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

Leavers reverting to type?

It is always a bit rash to expect non-voters to turnout.
    The big change is Remainers firming up, it seems like those Leave leads did much more to damage than help Leave.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

This 'National Centre Survey', how accurate do we think this is compared to the other polls?

Very. It's more or less where I expect it to end up.
  • Options
    Leave really are Project Fear

The official Vote Leave campaign group appears to have added fake sound effects of blood-curdling screams and smashing glass to footage of a brawl in the Turkish parliament that it used to warn of the prospect of Turkey joining the EU.

A comparison of the Vote Leave broadcast with the original footage by The Independent indicates that the audio track was doctored.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-vote-leave-campaign-turkey-video-doctored-screams-a7092191.html
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,658
    That still seems low to me, for both. But it answers the firm remaining question - they really were spooked by those massive shifts to Leave.

But contrary to the easily despondent, things are still about even. I was wrong Leave's momentum was irreversible, but Remain are not cantering in on all polls.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    edited June 2016

Leavers = Roy Hodgson,

They are doing what they think is best for the country, but it turns into a disaster for the country

LEAVE on June 23rd = Ronaldo's penalty kick
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Sean_F said:

Why? What are they doing differently?
  • Options

Very accurate for the time it was taken. However the massive time period over which it was conducted means that it may not be especially relevant.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited June 2016

Some of those +15 for REMAIN could be shy LEAVERS who don't want to admit how they are going to vote (in case the person on the other end of the blower thinks they are a racist, murderer)
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Leavers = Roy Hodgson,

I'm sure he'll convert any he gets against England in the last 16....
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Some of those +15 for REMAIN could be shy LEAVERS who don't want to admit how they are going to vote (in case the person on the other end of the blower thinks they are racist, murderers)
    Nah, I doubt it. I reckon that it is retainers realising that they could actually lose.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    edited June 2016
    Pong said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

If Remain win this will be a huge personal victory for Cameron and to a lesser extent Osborne. He really hasn't had any sensible help from either Labour or the Lib Dems. In fact Labour have been a negative force.

Cameron's is not only the most successful Tory leader since Thatcher he's the most palatable in my life time. If there was an election next week I'd vote for him

If his right wing go nuts on Friday, he could play poker, pull the Ariel Sharon/Kadima stunt and probably get away with it.

Except they're not his right wing.

Gove is far more liberal, BoJo too. IDS resigned over Osborne presiding over the most right wing 'no change' budget possible.

And he has destroyed his party to boot.

He is the very embodiment of a big business technocrat. He'll be out by the end of the year.

What Blairites forget is that the first and strongest 80% of your support is from loyalists. Disappointing them means you're stuck with the 20% of your ficklest voters.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740

The official Vote Leave campaign group appears to have added fake sound effects of blood-curdling screams and smashing glass to footage of a brawl in the Turkish parliament that it used to warn of the prospect of Turkey joining the EU.

A comparison of the Vote Leave broadcast with the original footage by The Independent indicates that the audio track was doctored.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-vote-leave-campaign-turkey-video-doctored-screams-a7092191.html

Doesn't surprise me. The openly racist subliminals in their split screen NHS broadcast were stuff I never thought I'd see from mainstream politicians in my life time.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,633

Sean_F said:

They chase down the non-responders until they respond. I think Uzi 9mm's are involved... :)
  • Options
    LondonLondon Posts: 40
    Mortimer said:

Pong said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Gove is far more liberal, BoJo too. IDS resigned over Osborne presiding over the most right wing 'no change' budget possible.

He is the very embodiment of a big business technocrat. He'll be out by the end of the year.
    I agree on Gove. I don't think Boris even knows what he is anymore. But IDS? Really?
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    edited June 2016
    Does George Soros actually use the term "Black Wednesday"? Oh so terrible. He trousered a billion pounds that day.
  • Options
    London said:

Mortimer said:

Pong said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

I agree on Gove. I don't think Boris even knows what he is anymore. But IDS? Really?
    Ever heard him speak about poverty? If not, try - he actually cares rather than just emoting.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    GIN1138 said:

Some of those +15 for REMAIN could be shy LEAVERS who don't want to admit how they are going to vote (in case the person on the other end of the blower thinks they are a racist, murderer)
    And many people have now voted.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Some of those +15 for REMAIN could be shy LEAVERS who don't want to admit how they are going to vote (in case the person on the other end of the blower thinks they are racist, murderers)
    Nah, I doubt it. I reckon that it is retainers realising that they could actually lose.
    If somebody called me up and asked me how I intend to vote I'm not sure I'd say LEAVE in light of everything that's happened...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,658
    Mortimer said:

Pong said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

What Blairites forget is that the first and strongest 80% of your support is from loyalists. Disappointing them means you're stuck with the 20% of your ficklest voters.
    I figure he'll last 12 months if Remain win - EU aside I think he's an ok PM, and being willing to take on your own party (significant portions of it at any rate) so boldly is, er, bold, but tribal politics is strong here, he cannot form a new group, and the others aren't going en masse - he'll go to preserve unity.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,944
    Amongst those certain to vote though Remain lead by 7% with ORB
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The openly racist subliminals in their split screen NHS broadcast were stuff I never thought I'd see from mainstream politicians in my life time.

It was horrible.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

They chase down the non-responders until they respond. I think Uzi 9mm's are involved... :)
    They use coshes first, don't be alarmist.
  • Options
    Hah!

@janemerrick23: Wow - pro-Leave Michael Howard says there's "something to be said" for waiting to see if EU comes up with a better deal after Leave vote

We were just kidding...
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: VickyPollard's back. Howard:"If Europeans came forward w some other offer which looked credible I wd be prepared to talk to them" #nobutyeah
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Chameleon said:

Leavers reverting to type?

It is always a bit rash to expect non-voters to turnout.
    The big change is Remainers firming up, it seems like those Leave leads did much more to damage than help Leave.
    Those figures for certainty look like a turnout in the sixties. Generally real voting trails "certainty to vote" so I think the 60-65% band at 7 on Betfair looks good.
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553

Big deal. "New Labour, New Danger".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Not good.
  • Options
    London said:

Mortimer said:

Pong said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

IDS has worked hard to make the benefits system make work pay.

The idea being that if you earn more, you don't get a like for like benefit loss.

Osborne ripped that up. People complained, Osborne blamed it on IDS, so he walked.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Hah!

@janemerrick23: Wow - pro-Leave Michael Howard says there's "something to be said" for waiting to see if EU comes up with a better deal after Leave vote

We were just kidding...

Leavers are making it up as they go along.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Leavers = Roy Hodgson,

If the Rooney Ronaldo winking incident had been this year, LEAVE would win
  • Options
    @kevverage: its traditional to wait until after you've lost the vote before you resort to this nonsense https://t.co/2bEVPNtEYy
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

London said:

Mortimer said:

Pong said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Ever heard him speak about poverty? If not, try - he actually cares rather than just emoting.
    I have - i have also spoken to disabled friends affected by his policies.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Leavers = Roy Hodgson,

If the Rooney Ronaldo winking incident had been this year, LEAVE would win
    Remember Muller in Euro 96? That would have been enough to vote Leave...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@kevverage: its traditional to wait until after you've lost the vote before you resort to this nonsense https://t.co/2bEVPNtEYy

Isn't that what Alex Salmond said before the Indyref?
  • Options
    Following on from Rogers excellent appraisal of where Cameron now/may stand is contemporary Britain after Thursday I wondered what our Conservative posters view was on an obvious issue ? How do the broad europhile liberal left like myself express our gratitude to Cameron after Thursday ? He's a young man so decades till the inevitable statues our new Robert Peel deserves are errected. I like the idea of public subscription to something. I wondered about a fund to Endow " Cameron Scholarships " for disadvantaged kids bright enough to go to the College of Europe ? A last intergenerational commeration for a patriots unique contribution to Britain's historic destiny ? What do Conservatives think ?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

Scott_P said:

Hah!

We were just kidding...

If it could prevent World War 3 and the end of western civilisation it might be worth considering...
  • Options

Isn't that what Alex Salmond said before the Indyref?

Pretty much
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Hah!

We were just kidding...

If it could prevent World War 3 and the end of western civilisation it might be worth considering...
    :smiley:
  • Options

Following on from Rogers excellent appraisal of where Cameron now/may stand is contemporary Britain after Thursday I wondered what our Conservative posters view was on an obvious issue ? How do the broad europhile liberal left like myself express our gratitude to Cameron after Thursday ? He's a young man so decades till the inevitable statues our new Robert Peel deserves are errected. I like the idea of public subscription to something. I wondered about a fund to Endow " Cameron Scholarships " for disadvantaged kids bright enough to go to the College of Europe ? A last intergenerational commeration for a patriots unique contribution to Britain's historic destiny ? What do Conservatives think ?

The best tribute to Cameron will be 3 months after he stops being leader.

There's going to be poll after poll showing The Tories doing better if he were still leader.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

He may have seen some stuff that we haven't.
  • Options
    Roger said:

No. He should have walked this. He's against Gove Boris and Farage.

He's turned being anti EU into a mainstream sport.

As ever failure to plan and reliance on last minute scare tactics
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Not good.
    I am happy but poorer if it is true.
  • Options

I just want Cameron (and Osborne) gone and out of Downing St forever. Give me Jezza any day of the week and twice on Sunday's... But then I'm not and never have been a Conservative.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Based on many doorstep conversations, I'd imagine.
  • Options
    Away from the EU ref I worry about the Tories' electoral prospects going forward. My household has gone from 3 to 0 Conservative voters since last year.
  • Options
    @janemerrick23: Curtice says markets are "seriously underestimating the chances of a leave vote"
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    edited June 2016
    There is some professor called Curtice on Newsnight saying the bookies are underestimating Leave and it should be a 45% chance not 25

What odds would that be?

Is he any good?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Not in Bristol North-West! That's one of the more europhile constituencies.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @SamCoatesTimes: We also reveal that Britain Stronger In Europe believe that 25% of voters are "undecided or persuadable", according to conference call leak

Remain campaign chiefs said on Sunday night that between 10 and 25 per cent of voters fall into the undecided or persuadable categories
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Or originally doctored and muted by the Independent.
    Comparing the two can work both ways
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    RodCrosby said:

Attempt to kill Trump last Saturday
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/michael-sandford-threatens-kill-trump-224562
    Sounds like he's a Brit...

Jesus I hope Trump remains on the best of health :(
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@janemerrick23: Curtice says markets are "seriously underestimating the chances of a leave vote"

Definitely.
  • Options
    MontyHall said:

There is some professor called Curtice on Newsnight saying the bookies are underestimating Leave and it should be a 45% chance not 25

What odds would that be?

Is he any good?

11-10
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

looking at the polls I would say so. I got on Leave at over 4 today. (Thanks for the tips chaps)
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

chestnut said:

Yet, she's plumped for Leave.
  • Options

Mmmm
    Not sure that would be high on my list of priorities.

Maybe sponsor a course on International Political Corruption and Political Horsetrading in the 21st century within a European closed shop.
    Peter Mandelson could be made Professor Emeritus and Course Director.
  • Options
    AzaAza Posts: 1
    Apart from 1 Online poll (Latest), every Remain lead has been by Phone.

I suspect if voters were asked in person when in the voting booth they would choose Remain, however as there will be no one judging/asking on the day, I think the online polls are more accurate. We shall see :-)
  • Options
    MontyHall said:

What odds would that be?

Is he any good?

Curtice does some work with NatCen. Perhaps the fieldwork background details are different to the headline numbers?
  • Options
    @tnewtondunn: EXCL: #EUref on a knife edge as massive @Crowdpac survey shows #Remain 50%, #Leave 49% - but a 3rd still not sure;
    https://t.co/4CVdmCRwPk
  • Options
    How come the Times and The BBC are not leading with this ????
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: EXCL: #EUref on a knife edge as massive @Crowdpac survey shows #Remain 50%, #Leave 49% - but a 3rd still not sure;

Crowdpac?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/michael-sandford-threatens-kill-trump-224562

For the good of the free world or for your betting account?
    Happily those things are mutually compatible for me.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Scott_P said:

He may have seen some stuff that we haven't.
    He's also a self important puffed up windbag.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

MontyHall said:

What odds would that be?

Is he any good?

Curtice does some work with NatCen. Perhaps the fieldwork background details are different to the headline numbers?
    Looking at the press release Curtice seems to be saying it comes down to whether you think phone or online are more likely to be accurate.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

For the good of the free world or for your betting account?
    Happily those things are mutually compatible for me.
    Both :)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    chestnut said:

Chameleon said:

chestnut said:

Yet, she's plumped for Leave.
    If we take what MPs are doing, rather than what they're saying, I'm still pretty sure that Leave have this. Odds are just remarkable.

Feels to me like the Greece vote last year - everyone thought they'd accept the deal, polls pointed to it, and yet people stuck two fingers up to Brussels.
  • Options
    Here is where I seem like a complete idiot come Friday - but it is what I am thinking.

I suspect the effect of the Jo Cox events will probably mean a Leave vote, really for five reasons:

1. The voice of those who believe that a Brexit vote is a vote for Racism has suddenly become much louder - and that will alienate a lot of WWC voters who have been told for God knows how long that to complain about anything immigration-related was racism. That "Brexit is racism" voice had managed to keep itself relatively muted but feels like it has been given full flow by what has happened. That, in turn, is likely to make many more WWC come out to vote (and I think it will impact the phone polls - I would like to see the Lab splits for Remain / Leave on the ORB poll; if there is a high Remain vote, I would point to Shy Leavers).

2. It has taken a lot of the attention away from the economic side - one thing I found working to convince potential Leavers to waiver was the impact on the economy / personal finances. But the news has now been dominated by the impact of the murder and that has switched attention from the economy / business side.

3. The markets have rallied which has also taken away some of the fear factor on the economy side - the best thing for Remain would have been the FTSE and sterling falling into the run up to the vote. Instead, we have both rising and it is always harder to persuade people of the negative impact when you have rising markets.

4. It has put the focus back on immigration - people will have their own view on Farage, but the discussion about immigration has been given more fuel by what has happened and the poster. As someone earlier said, Farage knows what he is doing with that image, it is to get out his core vote.

5. Pure anecdotally, but I am getting a lot of feedback from friends who range across the spectrum that they have found the whole remembrance thing pretty low politicking. To give two (of a number of) anecdotes: our left-wing, pro-Remain neighbour said he found it despicable that the murder was used for political purposes when the body was barely cold and a colleague at work who was Leave and then wavering is now back to Leave because of what he sees as manufactured outrage. I suspect this view is more common than admitted.

It will be 1. though that will really be the decider - I think many of the votes in the North, Wales etc are really going to shock Remain.

PS: one anecdote from London - we drove through Holland Park, South Ken and Chelsea area on Sunday - 8 Leave posters, 2 Remain (both Earls Court). Oh, and I saw my first Leave poster in Hampstead :)
  • Options
    @pppolitics: We've seen some chunky bets for the Remain campaign over the weekend. Read More: https://t.co/bPQrud7URi #EURef
  • Options
    TimTim Posts: 44
    Scott_P said:

The article says 50% Leave, 49% Remain
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @GeoffM

TheScreamingEagles

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-vote-leave-campaign-turkey-video-doctored-screams-a7092191.html'

'Or originally doctored and muted by the Independent.
    Comparing the two can work both ways'

Who cares about the sound effects when you have footage like that ?

• Options
    Chameleon said:

Away from the EU ref I worry about the Tories' electoral prospects going forward. My household has gone from 3 to 0 Conservative voters since last year.

Agree
    We have a very serious mountain to climb to reengage with our supporters.
  • Options
    I know we should probably take the Crowdpac survey with a pinch of salt but can someone explain this to me: I thought the South West was quite kippy territory. How come it appears to be evenly split? Because of EU money?
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@GeoffM

TheScreamingEagles

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-vote-leave-campaign-turkey-video-doctored-screams-a7092191.html'

'Or originally doctored and muted by the Independent.
    Comparing the two can work both ways'

Who cares about the sound effects when you have footage like that ?

One day you'll learn to how to use the quote button.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Pro-EU Tory Matthew Parris: ‘If I Were Running Remain I’d Have Recruited 10 Fake Leavers’

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/09/pro-remain-tory-matthew-parris/
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    London said:

chestnut said:

MontyHall said:

What odds would that be?

Is he any good?

Looking at the press release Curtice seems to be saying it comes down to whether you think phone or online are more likely to be accurate.
    Fieldwork 65% completed by 26 May. The 'phone gap is much smaller than ORB etc were claiming at the time.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    I don't get why people would be shy leavers in polls? OK, in real life I certainly understand keeping political views hidden (that works for both leave and remain however), but why on a poll?

I'm not sure it can be compared with the shy tory effect either. we often hear that leavers are more passionate than remain. We have witnessed before the understating of the tory vote, but rarely the understating of the UKIP vote. Passionate supporters aren't shy. Tories have previously had a shy vote from middle class types who don't particularly involve themselves with politics generally but reliably vote tory come election time. it seems to me like the winning coalition for Leave would be a majority UKIP, large minority labour working class, so not seeing a history of shy voters there.

I doubt the polls are showing a significant shy effect to either remain or leave.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    edited June 2016
    Aza said:

I suspect if voters were asked in person when in the voting booth they would choose Remain, however as there will be no one judging/asking on the day, I think the online polls are more accurate. We shall see :-)

Your comment assumes the explanation for the gap is that (the same) people behave differently on the phone from on the computer, whereas the explanation for the difference is more likely to be that different segments of the population get captured in online versus phone polling. Given their lack of landlines I would have thought phone polling would struggle to capture many young people, but it seems to be leaning nevertheless to remain, whereas online polls lean to leave. The likelihood that fanatical leavers are overly keen to participate in online polling does seem to me to be the most likely explanation for the difference, in which case it isn't such good news for leave.....?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

chestnut said:

Well if she has and it is then Friday morning will be interesting.
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

And a Plasma Rifle in the 40mW range?
  • Options
    TonyTony Posts: 159
    Aza said:

Agreed, there is a large shy leave effect going on amplified by the tragic events of last week.
    Friends in central London pub tonight watching the England game shocked when I said I was for leave, then turns out we were split 50/50. It's just soooo uncool to be for leave at the moment in metropolitan areas.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Here is where I seem like a complete idiot come Friday - but it is what I am thinking.

I suspect the effect of the Jo Cox events will probably mean a Leave vote, really for five reasons:

1. The voice of those who believe that a Brexit vote is a vote for Racism has suddenly become much louder - and that will alienate a lot of WWC voters who have been told for God knows how long that to complain about anything immigration-related was racism. That "Brexit is racism" voice had managed to keep itself relatively muted but feels like it has been given full flow by what has happened. That, in turn, is likely to make many more WWC come out to vote (and I think it will impact the phone polls - I would like to see the Lab splits for Remain / Leave on the ORB poll; if there is a high Remain vote, I would point to Shy Leavers).

2. It has taken a lot of the attention away from the economic side - one thing I found working to convince potential Leavers to waiver was the impact on the economy / personal finances. But the news has now been dominated by the impact of the murder and that has switched attention from the economy / business side.

3. The markets have rallied which has also taken away some of the fear factor on the economy side - the best thing for Remain would have been the FTSE and sterling falling into the run up to the vote. Instead, we have both rising and it is always harder to persuade people of the negative impact when you have rising markets.

4. It has put the focus back on immigration - people will have their own view on Farage, but the discussion about immigration has been given more fuel by what has happened and the poster. As someone earlier said, Farage knows what he is doing with that image, it is to get out his core vote.

5. Pure anecdotally, but I am getting a lot of feedback from friends who range across the spectrum that they have found the whole remembrance thing pretty low politicking. To give two (of a number of) anecdotes: our left-wing, pro-Remain neighbour said he found it despicable that the murder was used for political purposes when the body was barely cold and a colleague at work who was Leave and then wavering is now back to Leave because of what he sees as manufactured outrage. I suspect this view is more common than admitted.

It will be 1. though that will really be the decider - I think many of the votes in the North, Wales etc are really going to shock Remain.

PS: one anecdote from London - we drove through Holland Park, South Ken and Chelsea area on Sunday - 8 Leave posters, 2 Remain (both Earls Court). Oh, and I saw my first Leave poster in Hampstead :)

Yet the biggest move to Remain came after the murder, last week Leave were in the lead in many polls. Concerns about the economy were also factored into that
  • Options
    Another idea came to me. How about the four PM's who started, deepened then secured our European destiny, Heath, Thatcher, Major and Cameron carved into the White Cliffs of Dover in homage to Mount Rushmore ? With Cameron slightly prominent and a strong chin ?
  • Options
    Tony said:

Aza said:

Agreed, there is a large shy leave effect going on amplified by the tragic events of last week.
    Friends in central London pub tonight watching the England game shocked when I said I was for leave, then turns out we were split 50/50. It's just soooo uncool to be for leave at the moment in metropolitan areas.
    Same goes for Remainers in some other parts of society. Try suggsting that you are for Remain down my Local!
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I don't get why people would be shy leavers in polls? OK, in real life I certainly understand keeping political views hidden (that works for both leave and remain however), but why on a poll?

I'm not sure it can be compared with the shy tory effect either. we often hear that leavers are more passionate than remain. We have witnessed before the understating of the tory vote, but rarely the understating of the UKIP vote. Passionate supporters aren't shy. Tories have previously had a shy vote from middle class types who don't particularly involve themselves with politics generally but reliably vote tory come election time. it seems to me like the winning coalition for Leave would be a majority UKIP, large minority labour working class, so not seeing a history of shy voters there.

I doubt the polls are showing a significant shy effect to either remain or leave.

A phone conversation is a surprisingly intimate thing (no sniggering at the back)

I've been polled by MORI a couple of times on the phone and I've definitely been on my guard about what I say and admit to.
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.