Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I agree with some of the comments on the previous thread. The number of anti Semitic comments has risen exponentially on the back of Livingstone's comments. It is depressing and horrible that even hiding behind the anonymity of false names on a blog site anyone can think this is in any way ok. It really isn't. Really.

Is it is not also possible that many of the pro Israel comments on the site are the posts of Mossad agents or more likely their helper Sayanim . Don't forget it has been estimated that there are 5,000 of the latter living in London alone , 2,000 of whom are actively supporting a foreign country's secret service .
    If so they are not very busy. I have seen very few pro Israeli comments. Their arrogant use of disproportionate response is not excused by their history and threatens their own future. Anti Semitic comments are completely different and directed against British citizens. It is disgraceful.
    Israel often appears to be a nation gripped with national paranoia. Partly the Holocaust but also I suspect the Arab wars. Like most paranoiacs, they lash out unthinkingly because they are always panicking about being attacked. As a result, of course, they frequently are attacked.

That's my armchair analysis from several thousand miles away. I am actually going to Israel in the summer, so hopefully after that I will have a better knowledge and understanding of them.
    Snap! So am I - probably in July, for work.
    THis is work as well. A visit to Yad Vashem (in August, it will be hot)!

I was toying with the idea of visiting some Biblical sites as well, for teaching New Testament studies next year. However, I'm not sure I can afford an extended visit.
    I hope to do some visiting as well. But the investigation I am doing is the mother and father of all hospital passes so my interview techniques (TSE behave!) are being called into service. There may not be much free time.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Congrats Leicester City.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Congrats to leicester city.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Congrats to leicester city.

Hear, hear!
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    Of more relevance now is the 2-2 score from Stamford Bridge.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Mortimer said:

MTimT said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Sort of on topic, a lot of my friends are saying they are seeing an awful lot of Remain adverts on YouTube videos.

Even on the Leave ones.

I am getting huge amounts of paid Remain ads on fb - but interesting far more natural Leave ads from family/friends, especially C1s than the natural Remain ads from As and Bs...
    Now facebook is interesting, the Tories used it a lot last year, and the Tory digital gurus are working for Remain.
    Agreed. Might be a good study in whether the medium or the message drives electoral victories. Remain ads on fb that I've seen seem to be focusing on:

1) Economy
    2) Ad hom. attacks on Leaver leaders
    3) Authority figures saying Leave would be disastrous

I'm still not convinced either will work given the various reasons that people are anti-EU, most notably immigration concerns.
    Going by behaviouralist theories and applied research, the strongest motivators are PICs and NIC (positive/negative, immediate, certain consequences), followed by PIU (positive, immediate, uncertain), followed by PFC (Positive, future, certain), NFC and NIU; closed out by the weakest motivators PFU and NFU

The Remain campaign is virtually all based on NFU - negative, future, uncertain consequences. the uncertain part explains their focus on using authority figures - trying to reduce the uncertainty and hence increase the impact of the message.

The Leave campaign has two components:
    - immigration, which relies on negative, immediate and certain (NIC) consequence if you vote REMAIN, i.e. encouraging the suppression of the Remain vote and by inference (though this is not how behaviouralist theory works) an increase in the LEAVE vote
    - freeing the shackles of the EU through leaving, which relies on PFU - positive future uncertain.

At least in theory, then, the LEAVE message should have a stronger behavioural response - the immigration message strongly suppressing the Remain vote, and the freeing shackles message very weakly promoting the LEAVE vote; whereas all that REMAIN have is very weakly suppressing the LEAVE vote.
    Comments like this keep me coming back and commenting despite the crackpottery revealed on the last thread. Thanks Tim! Thanks PB
    You're welcome. Indeed, this is why I keep coming back to PB and why, sometimes, my visits are very short even when work does not pull me away. ;)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

1666 said:

The interesting thing is that even if we vote to stay within 5 years the EU will fall apart . The writing is on the wall.

Don't be too sure - if there's one thing the EU is great at it is bodging a solution together to kick the can down the road. Obviously there are limits, but they may surprise us yet again with yet more temporary, inadequate fixes.
    Why single out the EU? The government of almost every 'western' country has been doing the same for decades, hence why the developed world remains on the edge of crisis...
    That's a fair enough point - but I think the EU has no choice but to only ever kick the can, since corralling so many members and interests, while pushing its ultimate goal, is so difficult it can never not do much more than do so. I'd hope individual nations have a better chance of occasionally doing better.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

I agree with some of the comments on the previous thread. The number of anti Semitic comments has risen exponentially on the back of Livingstone's comments. It is depressing and horrible that even hiding behind the anonymity of false names on a blog site anyone can think this is in any way ok. It really isn't. Really.

Is it is not also possible that many of the pro Israel comments on the site are the posts of Mossad agents or more likely their helper Sayanim . Don't forget it has been estimated that there are 5,000 of the latter living in London alone , 2,000 of whom are actively supporting a foreign country's secret service .
    Well, I've been accused of being a spy before now. Never a Mossad one, though.

At least, that's off the bucket list, now.

I had you down as a spy in the femme fatale modus operandi of Xenia Onatopp
    Mr Eagles, really!

This is a family blog.
    Damn, I wasn't expecting you to know who she was, so you'd ask me, and I'd post this

Xenia Onatopp Is a beautiful, seductive woman who derives sexual satisfaction from killing, she is a classic and quite literal femme fatale. In one scene, she lures a Canadian admiral, Chuck Farrell, onto a yacht moored off Monte Carlo and, engaging in violent sexual intercourse, suffocates him to death by squeezing her legs around him incredibly hard; she moans in pleasure as he moans in pain, and reaches orgasm as he dies. Meanwhile, a fellow operative (General Arkady Grigorovich Ourumov) steals his NATO ID, granting them access to a Eurocopter Tiger aboard a French warship anchored off Monte Carlo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenia_Onatopp
    That depends on your definition of safe sex.
    My definition of safe sex is using a padded headboard.

Like Essex Girl's definition of 'adequate protection' - a bus shelter.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Congratulations to Mr/Dr Fox and OGH. A good day for you both!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    If Leicester City can win the title then Zac can win on Thursday.

Now all shout out loud, "WENGER MUST GO!"
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited May 2016
    Spurs must have set some sort of record for yellow cards with no reds in that second half - tbh I'm sure I've seen reds given for less than that lot.
  • Options
    I knew my suggesting I was worried about Leicester would see them win it tonight. You're welcome, Leicester, I shall now tell many more people I went to Uni there.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Pulpstar said:

Spurs must have set some sort of record for yellow cards with no reds in that second half - tbh I'm sure I've seen reds given for less than that lot.

Love Spurs. Always blow it at the end.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

glw said:

Mos

I did not say agents , I said Sayanim . Google the word and learn something .
    Googl

http://en.metapedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust
    The only thing I had ever heard about metapedia, (the number 2 source Google, in all its wisdom, felt was the most relevant to the term you advised use to Google) was that it peddled far right conspiracy theories, in particular about the Holocaust. So I searched for it to see if it was the case.

Perhaps you shouldn't have asked people to Google the term if you didn't want them to have a look at what Google regards as one of the most relevant pages/sources about the term - one thing we can all agree on, we should not begin to doubt Google's algorithms.

But even conspiracy nuts can have a point - I'm willing to have a look at this Sayanim business, if you have a more credible seeming source, which I'm sure you do

Plus, with all this Hitler talk out of nowhere in the last few days, such things are on my mind more than they usually would.

It's an interesting resouce - it's fun to see where what is probably wikipedia copied text is added to.

Here's the ones from the political parties

The Labour Party is a Jewish controlled political party in the United Kingdom founded on February 15, 1906.

The Conservative and Unionist Party is today a liberal political party and the largest in terms of sitting Members of Parliament (MPs), as well as public membership, and the oldest political party in the United Kingdom....For at least five decades the Party has moved to the Left. Most of it's supporters are middle-class people across England who, because the party has continued using the title "conservative", imagine that it still stands for Toryism and traditional conservative values

The United Kingdom Liberal Democrats Party, commonly referred to as the LibDems are the original party of The Left in Britain, but are said by the UK media and sympathisers to be "centrist" and socially liberal.

UKIP is essentially the Conservative Party as it was before the raging liberals took it over
    Interestingly , I only learned about Sayanim a few days ago reading a Tom Clancy novel . Caused me to google the word and find out more about it .
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Now all shout out loud, "WENGER MUST GO!"

Indeed, he is about 5,000 to 1!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,206
    Pulpstar said:

The FA should throw the book at them.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Mr Eagles, really!

This is a family blog.
    Damn, I wasn't expecting you to know who she was, so you'd ask me, and I'd post this

Xenia Onatopp Is a beautiful, seductive woman who derives sexual satisfaction from killing, she is a classic and quite literal femme fatale. In one scene, she lures a Canadian admiral, Chuck Farrell, onto a yacht moored off Monte Carlo and, engaging in violent sexual intercourse, suffocates him to death by squeezing her legs around him incredibly hard; she moans in pleasure as he moans in pain, and reaches orgasm as he dies. Meanwhile, a fellow operative (General Arkady Grigorovich Ourumov) steals his NATO ID, granting them access to a Eurocopter Tiger aboard a French warship anchored off Monte Carlo.

Keeping your shoes on in case a sharp exit is required.
    Excuse me, that is almost as bad as keeping your socks on......

Why would you keep your shoes on but not your socks?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Mr Eagles, really!

This is a family blog.

Like Essex Girl's definition of 'adequate protection' - a bus shelter.
    Or her definition of knickers as ankle warmers.......

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    Congratulations to Leicester City F C. Absolutely deserved from a lifelong Man Utd supporter
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Mr Eagles, really!

This is a family blog.

Fashionable Europeans don't wear socks... Or at least they didn't when I lived there.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

glw said:

Mos

I did not say agents , I said Sayanim . Google the word and learn something .
    Googl

http://en.metapedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust
    The o
    Interestingly , I only learned about Sayanim a few days ago reading a Tom Clancy novel . Caused me to google the word and find out more about it .
    A page other than the number 2 option that presented itself to me, apparently. I'm happy to read more on the subject from another source, though I doubt they'll be as hilarious as metapedia.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Leicester started as a 5,000-1 outsiders for the title after almost being relegated last season.

Well done to them.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,402
    Leicester are having a good weekend aren't they?

And I finally had a sporting prediction come right! :joy:
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Mr Eagles, really!

This is a family blog.

No idea. Ask the men on this forum who seem to have a need to make a running exit from sex, safe or otherwise.....

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    ydoethur said:

glw said:

Mossad has about a thousand staff — it's not a vast organisation, Israel is not a populous country — and you think they have 5,000 agents in London alone?

That kind of unsubstantiated nonsense is the sort of thing that feeds antisemitism, the belief that the Israelis are far more powerful than really are is used to justify, and is necessary to explain, the ridiculous conspiracy theories that their enemies frequently peddle. Which if you have been following today you would know are sometimes not just false but utterly repellent, such as blaming the Sandy Hook Elementary School murders on Israel.

I was assuming it was an ironic post, gently sending up the hysteria of some of the anti-Israeli posts we saw on the last thread and over the last week.

Are you telling me Mark was serious?
    I would guess he was being serious
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Well done Leicester!
  • Options
    MikeK said:

The difference is they started as long shots but have been favourites for months off the back of consistent and excellent performances.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    The big question is how will this affect the PCC election in Leicestershire
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,402
    Floater said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

Mossad has about a thousand staff — it's not a vast organisation, Israel is not a populous country — and you think they have 5,000 agents in London alone?

That kind of unsubstantiated nonsense is the sort of thing that feeds antisemitism, the belief that the Israelis are far more powerful than really are is used to justify, and is necessary to explain, the ridiculous conspiracy theories that their enemies frequently peddle. Which if you have been following today you would know are sometimes not just false but utterly repellent, such as blaming the Sandy Hook Elementary School murders on Israel.

I was assuming it was an ironic post, gently sending up the hysteria of some of the anti-Israeli posts we saw on the last thread and over the last week.

Clearly, given his later responses, you would guess right. Because obviously Tom Clancy novels are really good places to find things out...

And on that rather terrifying bombshell, good night all and have a good week.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    Totally Tottenham. For their next trick they'll finish below Arsenal.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    kle4 said:

MikeK said:

The difference is they started as long shots but have been favourites for months off the back of consistent and excellent performances.
    47 people bet on Leicester City to Premier League at Ladbrokes at 5000/1. 25 have taken buyouts, 22 still in at full payout, says @LadsAlex
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,992

DavidL said:

I've finished for the night and have knocked off early, watching Air Force One with cheese and wine, mmm nice. I go onto PB for some banter, twitting LEAVErs, pointing out mathematical errors and waiting for SeanT to explode again, and what do I get? Posts saying that every pro-Israel post on this site is from agents-of-influence and that apparently Nazi Germany was more philoSemitic than a Spurs groupie.

I check the calendar. Nope, it's not April 1st

The posts you refer to are not from a putative Fifth Column of covert Jews with microdot and button cameras. Neither is it a plot from a right-wing cabal - at least, not just them. They are from people who think Ken's comments and the antisemitic support he has attracted is at best weird and at worse quietly disgusting.

RodCrosby of this parish was into Holocaust denial before Ken made it fashionable, but at least he had the courtesy to mostly shut up about it and talk about election prediction, polling, and odds. I wish others would do likewise.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,594
    kle4 said:

Low, low turnout, they'll all still be hungover on Thursday
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Floater said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

Because obviously Tom Clancy novels are really good places to find things out...

Well, for some things.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Great, great outcome for football in England. I'm a fan of one of the so called big clubs and they are boring. So enjoyable to watch a team with genuine love for the game.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I hear one of the candidates will be against Leicester retaining the title as it could lead to an increase in criminal damage stats as people recklessly celebrate such a victory.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

kle4 said:

Great, great outcome for football in England. I'm a fan of one of the so called big clubs and they are boring. So enjoyable to watch a team with genuine love for the game.
    Agreed. Very much a lesson for the muppet supporters who demand big name signings.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Anti-semites? It's a bit like cockroaches - if one comes out a whole gang soon comes out to scurry around. By gum, PB has certainly been crawling with them the last few hours.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Gosh, I didn't reallise Mossad agents in London so outnumbered Liberal Democrat councillors.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

DavidL said:

Anti-semites? It's a bit like cockroaches - if one comes out a whole gang soon comes out to scurry around. By gum, PB has certainly been crawling with them the last few hours.
    In a weird way, Ken has given them enough rope to collectively hang themselves. I'm still in WTF mode. It's like discovering Rolf Harris is a serial paedophile all over again.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020

DavidL said:

Gosh, I didn't reallise Mossad agents in London so outnumbered Liberal Democrat councillors.
    Or Liberal Democrat voters. :-)
  • Options

DavidL said:

:smiley:
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Dixie said:

kle4 said:

Agreed. Very much a lesson for the muppet supporters who demand big name signings.
    I hope sky tweet the video of the Leicester team celebrating as the final whistle went. Genuine joy. Love it. Of course, Ranreri will be fired at some stage.
  • Options
    Interesting words from Jeremy Corbyn this evening:

"What there is is a very small number of people that have said things that they should not have done."

I think what he means to say is what they said was wrong.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Some of them appear to be long established posters.

Again, why now, what makes these bottom feeders actually think this is acceptable?

The only thing I can think of is the new lunatics in charge of the Labour asylum.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Kate McCann
    True scale of Labour's antisemitism problem laid bare: 50 members suspended over racism claims, 20 in last 2 weeks https://t.co/85WGP2Ytuw

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/02/labour-has-secretly-suspended-50-members-for-anti-semitic-and-ra/
  • Options

DavidL said:

TBF spies from Andorra might outnumber Lib Dem councillors ;-)
  • Options
    Sky Bet are offering odds of 5000-1 on Burnley winning the title next season. OGH has got have a bit of that, surely?
  • Options

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

47 people bet on Leicester City to Premier League at Ladbrokes at 5000/1. 25 have taken buyouts, 22 still in at full payout, says @LadsAlex
    superb. Your team wins the league and you pocket at least £25,000.
  • Options

DavidL said:

In a weird way, Ken has given them enough rope to collectively hang themselves. I'm still in WTF mode. It's like discovering Rolf Harris is a serial paedophile all over again.
    We musn't be complacent either about Mossad agents or a mass breakout of serial paedophiles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-1as4GbBLU
  • Options

Kate McCann
    True scale of Labour's antisemitism problem laid bare: 50 members suspended over racism claims, 20 in last 2 weeks https://t.co/85WGP2Ytuw

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/02/labour-has-secretly-suspended-50-members-for-anti-semitic-and-ra/

For everyone's sakes, I hope those 50 are not tacitly supported by many others.
  • Options

Kate McCann

Oh look Roger

"Sunday night shadow education secretary Lucy Powell became the first shadow cabinet minister to acknowledge the party had a problem with anti-semitism.

She told Channel 4 News : "There clearly is an issue with anti-Semitism in the Labour Party otherwise we wouldn't have spent the best part of the last six or seven days talking about it."

Still, you obviously know better.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,064

DavidL said:

Or Liberal Democrat voters. :-)
    Wait and see. Counting chickens warning.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    I'm sure we'll all be very impressed
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited May 2016

Deleted therefore

Hazard scoring the equaliser was inevitable, just surprised Terry didn't head a winner for them late on
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

"What there is is a very small number of people that have said things that they should not have done."

That's what you'd like to hope he meant. But it's not what he said. And I am cynical enough to think that he meant what he said. They should not have said what they did. It is open to question - precisely because he has not made it clear - whether because what they said was wrong (in which case why not make it clear?) - or because it has caused a lot of annoyance and grief for Labour.

I do not, I'm afraid, believe the former. Corbyn himself has been part of groups which opposed the existence of Israel and, in the case of STW which he chaired, wanted to go to war against it (Start the War, in that case, rather than stop it). I think he is bothered by the consequences of all these remarks rather than their inherent wrongness or offensiveness or lack of plain common decency.

He has, at best, showed himself utterly indifferent to the scourge of anti-Semitism, to how it can mutate, how it can harm and how it can be encouraged, whether actively or by failure to take action against it. And not just in the last few days and weeks but over 30 years or more.

Corbyn is part of the problem and while he is there there will be no lasting solution to the problem of illiberalism in his party.
  • Options
    So well anyhoo, in an attempt to extract something useful from this site, let's talk about the London Mayorality. The polling for Sadiq Khan is much bigger than for Zac Goldsmith, but those numbers were before GotterKennerung. Are there any polls scheduled before the election on Thursday that will tell us whether a Galloway-sized upset is on the cards?
  • Options

Simon Rowntree ‎@Simon_Rowntree
    I am at Stamford Bridge and Chelsea fans are now chanting "We've wiped out your title hopes like it's the Holocaust". This is disgusting,

Hazard scoring the equaliser was inevitable, just surprised Terry didn't head a winner for them late on
    Hmmm, you should be careful what you believe on Twitter:

http://tinyurl.com/zr32hz8
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

kle4 said:

I'm dreading tomorrow morning. Just been out-drunk and out-smoked by a Moravian minigarch...
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,663
    I was tickled (just a little bit) by this - for some of our resident FT fans:

"An enjoyable aspect of the EU referendum campaign is the nervous condition of the Financial Times. Unable to maintain its usual pretence at judicious balance under the strain, it has become the Daily Mail of the Europhile global elites, warning of the Seven Plagues which will afflict us if we vote to leave. Rather as the Mail loves the headline beginning ‘Just why…?’, so the FT all-purpose referendum headline begins ‘Fears mount…’ Its star columnists like Philip Stephens and Janan Ganesh pour withering scorn on Eurosceptic ‘nostalgists’ and bigots. Although they — and most of the paper’s writers — are highly intelligent, it does not occur to them to take seriously arguments which, in other contexts, they would mind about, like the age-old question of who exercises power on behalf of whom. They do not realise, to adapt Matthew Arnold, that the sea of EU faith was ‘once, too, at the full’, but now isn’t. Their cries are part of its melancholy, long, withdrawing roar."

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/de-gaulle-knew-it-britain-does-not-belong-in-the-eu/
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2016
    Leicester 50/1 to be relegated next season or 33/1 to win it again.

Odd odds.

I'd rather take the 50/1 if forced to choose.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    tlg86 said:

Simon Rowntree ‎@Simon_Rowntree
    I am at Stamford Bridge and Chelsea fans are now chanting "We've wiped out your title hopes like it's the Holocaust". This is disgusting,

Hmmm, you should be careful what you believe on Twitter:

http://tinyurl.com/zr32hz8
    sick mind - have removed it from my post. honestly. george eaton retweeted it.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited May 2016
    runnymede said:
    I thought all of this talk about an EU army was a dangerous fantasy...

How surprising to see the draft paper's publication moved from before the referendum to after...
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977

Deleted therefore

Yep, same old Chelsea too. It's not just Moslems.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Pong said:

Leicester 50/1 to be relegated next season & 33/1 to win it again.

Odd odds.

I'd rather take the 50/1, personally.

Leicester are 100-1 to win the Champions League. By being in pot 1 they could get a favourable draw. Once they are through to the last 16 anything can happen. They have the game to win it in my opinion.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,901
    edited May 2016
    Floater said:

Kate McCann

Oh look Roger

"Sunday night shadow education secretary Lucy Powell became the first shadow cabinet minister to acknowledge the party had a problem with anti-semitism.

She told Channel 4 News : "There clearly is an issue with anti-Semitism in the Labour Party otherwise we wouldn't have spent the best part of the last six or seven days talking about it."

I don't say there isn't a problem with anti Semitism I just despise the ignorance of the accusations. The deliberate attempts to conflate criticism of Israel with anti Semitism discredits those making the accusations.

It isn't helped by being peddled by those on the who have an agenda and who-when it comes to racism-would be at the top of most people's list.

Or have I misjudged the two right wing filth peddlers Guido and Littlejohn?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Kate McCann

For everyone's sakes, I hope those 50 are not tacitly supported by many others.
    Judging by what we've seen so far, it would not be safe to assume this. The tip of an iceberg I suspect.

From my experience of investigations when you start getting this level of similar problems in one organisation, it is symptomatic of a much more widespread and, quite likely, systemic issue.

• Options
    Roger said:

Floater said:

Kate McCann

Oh look Roger

I don't say there isn't a problem with anti Semitism I just despise the ignorance of the accusations. The deliberate attempts to conflate criticism of Israel with anti Semitism discredits those making the accusations.

It isn't helped by being peddled by those on the who have a definite agenda and who-when it comes to racism-would be at the top of most people's list.

Such people have their uses, so long as it is checked they are not making up the filth. They may claim some filth is filthier than it is, but if it is still filth, that is worthwhile.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

So well anyhoo, in an attempt to extract something useful from this site, let's talk about the London Mayorality. The polling for Sadiq Khan is much bigger than for Zac Goldsmith, but those numbers were before GotterKennerung. Are there any polls scheduled before the election on Thursday that will tell us whether a Galloway-sized upset is on the cards?

Imagine (and I don't think this likely) that Khan did not win. Can you imagine the shenanigans there will be inside Labour if Khan feels that he lost the Mayoralty because of Ken and Shah's big mouths and Corbyn's inept handling of the situation? Blood on the carpet will be the very least of it.

We can but dream.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I was told today there will be no more polls. Turnout will be low and 2nd preferences will conflate any opinion polls anyway. Khan has been ahead in most private polls. But it has never been 16 points lead for Labour. With a typical lead of 8 to 13 points, if Labour slip below 8 (IF) then they will lose Assembly members. The big prize for both sides is the mayoralty. 10 days ago, Khan was polishing his crown. He's still favourite but Ken has brought Zac back into it. And the view is that there are some silent Tories out there plus individual voter registration and a small Bradley effect (don't vote for a minority). The value bet is Zac at 17 to 1, not Khan at 2 to 1 on. The Tories are working hard, passionate and are not giving up. Zac is seeing hundreds of people each day, unlike Khan.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397
    Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

That's what you'd like to hope he meant. But it's not what he said. And I am cynical enough to think that he meant what he said. They should not have said what they did. It is open to question - precisely because he has not made it clear - whether because what they said was wrong (in which case why not make it clear?) - or because it has caused a lot of annoyance and grief for Labour.

I do not, I'm afraid, believe the former. Corbyn himself has been part of groups which opposed the existence of Israel and, in the case of STW which he chaired, wanted to go to war against it (Start the War, in that case, rather than stop it). I think he is bothered by the consequences of all these remarks rather than their inherent wrongness or offensiveness or lack of plain common decency.

He has, at best, showed himself utterly indifferent to the scourge of anti-Semitism, to how it can mutate, how it can harm and how it can be encouraged, whether actively or by failure to take action against it. And not just in the last few days and weeks but over 30 years or more.

Corbyn is part of the problem and while he is there there will be no lasting solution to the problem of illiberalism in his party.
    I agree with every word of that. Anyone who opposed the USA , Britain or Israel over the last 30 years has got a free pass from Corbyn because they are the oppressors, they are evil and those who oppose them must be more morally pure and worthy. The U.K. and others have made mistakes but that does not excuse sharing platforms with IRA thugs and murderers, Hamas killers and mysoginistic Islamic bigots or overlooking their faults.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited May 2016
    1666 said:

I give up clearly you are all idiots.

Mmmmm..... Ever tried anger management courses? :wink:
  • Options
    Roger said:

Floater said:

Kate McCann

Oh look Roger

It isn't helped by being peddled by those on the who have an agenda and who-when it comes to racism-would be at the top of most people's list.

You sound like someone getting more worked up by those who may have overcounted the bodies at Belsen than with those who carried out the "policy".
  • Options
    Roger said:

Floater said:

Kate McCann

Oh look Roger

You're lying in the gutter, but don't seem to realise it.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

runnymede said:

How surprising to see the draft paper's publication moved from before the referendum to after...
    The fantasists, I'm afraid, are those people in the UK who continue to try to convince themselves that the EU is not headed in this direction.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    I think Roger really does know better than Lucy Powell, probably much better. I don't think I could compare them.

Labour lefties, like me, have a problem with how Israel has exploited it's overwhelmingly superior arms to oppress a minority. My family is Jewish lineage, I spent the best part of a year in Israel, I love Israel but I hate the way it has made matters worse over recent years.

Off topic- well done Leicester. What a wonderful story.
    Floater said:

Kate McCann

Oh look Roger

• Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

I agree with every word of that. Anyone who opposed the USA , Britain or Israel over the last 30 years has got a free pass from Corbyn because they are the oppressors, they are evil and those who oppose them must be more morally pure and worthy. The U.K. and others have made mistakes but that does not excuse sharing platforms with IRA thugs and murderers, Hamas killers and mysoginistic Islamic bigots or overlooking their faults.
    Indeed. Jamie Palmer put in very well indeed in the article I referenced on the previous thread:-

"The Left’s willingness to critique the assumed nobility of Western motives and actions, and point out the imperfections of its own societies, has been a valuable check on chauvinism and an engine of progressive domestic reform. But this impulse exists alongside an insufferable belief in the Left’s own moral superiority, an article of faith the Left is extremely reluctant to question. To be on the Left, it is held, is to care about others; to be on the Right is to care about nobody but oneself. This assumed monopoly of truth and virtue carries the assumption that those who contest Left-wing axioms harbor debased motives. Meanwhile, organizations on the Left—particularly those in the NGO sector—are held to be above reproach and are consequently excused from any meaningful scrutiny.

This tribal reflex has sometimes prevented the Left from making the most important and elementary moral distinction of all, which is not between the political Right and Left, but between democrats and authoritarians. It has often given Left-wing dictators the benefit of the doubt while expressing furious indignation against those on the democratic Right who point out those dictators’ shortcomings. If the Right turns out to have been correct about something, then one frequently hears the objection that this is “for the wrong reasons.”"

He describes:-

"• The uncritical valorization of any indigenous movement that positioned itself as hostile to Western aims and interests;
    • A corresponding determination to impute the most reprehensible motives to whatever the West did (or did not do);
    • Indulgence in the vicarious pleasures afforded by the glorification of transgressive revolutionary violence, even—or, perversely, especially—when it was used to target civilians. In other words, support for terrorism."

And as a result, it "discouraged any meaningful scrutiny of the guerilla movements to which radicals lent such uncritical support. ........ What did the PLO actually have to say about Jews? Such questions were a matter of studied indifference."

Describes our Jeremy to a T.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Nigel Farage doing well on the Agenda and the programme just played cameron's forgetting which team he supported - just brilliant.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Dixie said:

viewcode said:

I was told today there will be no more polls. Turnout will be low and 2nd preferences will conflate any opinion polls anyway. Khan has been ahead in most private polls. But it has never been 16 points lead for Labour. With a typical lead of 8 to 13 points, if Labour slip below 8 (IF) then they will lose Assembly members. The big prize for both sides is the mayoralty. 10 days ago, Khan was polishing his crown. He's still favourite but Ken has brought Zac back into it. And the view is that there are some silent Tories out there plus individual voter registration and a small Bradley effect (don't vote for a minority). The value bet is Zac at 17 to 1, not Khan at 2 to 1 on. The Tories are working hard, passionate and are not giving up. Zac is seeing hundreds of people each day, unlike Khan.
    Damn. From what you're saying:

* Khan has a lead *but* there is a combination of events that may lead to him losing and Kengate has made that combination more likely.
    * The odds are such that futures value betting (betting on X, then betting on notX as the election approaches, reaping the change in odds) may be profitable but the time between now and then is short and the movement in odds unlikely to be big enough to make this profitable. * A simple value bet on Zac may be profitable (since the odds of 17/1 are plainly too large for a two-man race) but it runs the risk of being a good-value-loser
    * A simple bet on Khan to win is still the most-probable route to a profit, but it's not the slam-dunk it was.
  • Options
    To put Leicester's 5000/1 into context

Liverpool to win the 2005 CL final at half time 188/1
    England to win the Headingley 1981 test 500/1
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    MP_SE said:

runnymede said:

The Wehrmacht marches again. Cheap Jackboots at Harrods; the Army and Navy store closed years ago.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited May 2016

"An enjoyable aspect of the EU referendum campaign is the nervous condition of the Financial Times. Unable to maintain its usual pretence at judicious balance under the strain, it has become the Daily Mail of the Europhile global elites, warning of the Seven Plagues which will afflict us if we vote to leave. Rather as the Mail loves the headline beginning ‘Just why…?’, so the FT all-purpose referendum headline begins ‘Fears mount…’ Its star columnists like Philip Stephens and Janan Ganesh pour withering scorn on Eurosceptic ‘nostalgists’ and bigots. Although they — and most of the paper’s writers — are highly intelligent, it does not occur to them to take seriously arguments which, in other contexts, they would mind about, like the age-old question of who exercises power on behalf of whom. ...

The FT has a simply awful track record in pushing the ERM and the Euro. Its editor was a leading advocate of both. No surprise where most of their hacks stand on Brexit.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    Congrats to Leicester.

I wonder if we'll see the Premiership won by another 'small' team next year.

Tottenham for example.
  • Options

"An enjoyable aspect of the EU referendum campaign is the nervous condition of the Financial Times. Unable to maintain its usual pretence at judicious balance under the strain, it has become the Daily Mail of the Europhile global elites, warning of the Seven Plagues which will afflict us if we vote to leave. Rather as the Mail loves the headline beginning ‘Just why…?’, so the FT all-purpose referendum headline begins ‘Fears mount…’ Its star columnists like Philip Stephens and Janan Ganesh pour withering scorn on Eurosceptic ‘nostalgists’ and bigots. Although they — and most of the paper’s writers — are highly intelligent, it does not occur to them to take seriously arguments which, in other contexts, they would mind about, like the age-old question of who exercises power on behalf of whom. ...

The FT has a simply awful track record in pushing the ERM and the Euro. Its editor was a leading advocate of both. No surprise where most of their hacks stand on Brexit.
    The FT has had a complete nervous breakdown on this issue and is getting a lot of flak about it from regular readers.
  • Options
    tyson said:

I think Roger really does know better than Lucy Powell, probably much better. I don't think I could compare them.

Labour lefties, like me, have a problem with how Israel has exploited it's overwhelmingly superior arms to oppress a minority. My family is Jewish lineage, I spent the best part of a year in Israel, I love Israel but I hate the way it has made matters worse over recent years.

Off topic- well done Leicester. What a wonderful story.

Floater said:

Kate McCann

Oh look Roger

The Israelis have behaved at times like absolute bastards. I expect I'd behave like that when I know that no-one in Europe will come to my aid if I'm under threat (just like they stood by when my relations were being slaughtered like cattle) and when I'm faced with people whose leaders have expressly stated that they will kill me and all who are like me.

It is not good. It is not pretty. It is not the best of Jewish behaviour or thought. It is awful and creates more misery, more violence and more demands for revenge. It risks leaving you friendless.

But if the choice is between being seen as nice but dead or as a bastard but alive, which would you choose?

Easy, very easy, to criticise others. But we do not have the mentality of the suitcase under the bed or a history of people wanting to wipe us off the face of the earth. That puts some steel into the soul, I imagine.

All those nice German Jews, so assimilated, so cultured, who thought of themselves as Germans, who contributed, who fought for Germany, who thought the whirlwind would pass, who thought that if they kept their head down this too would pass. What good did all their niceness and culture and passivity do them?

• Options

I stopped my FT subscription about 18 months ago, and now I feel so much happier ...
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    LOL.... French football associations official anthem is sung in English. That'll upset the locals.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3569569/Sacre-Bleus-Outrage-France-official-anthem-national-team-s-bid-Euro-2016-glory-released-s-ENGLISH.html
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Imagine (and I don't think this likely) that Khan did not win. Can you imagine the shenanigans there will be inside Labour if Khan feels that he lost the Mayoralty because of Ken and Shah's big mouths and Corbyn's inept handling of the situation? Blood on the carpet will be the very least of it.

We can but dream.
    Well yes, but ultimately what I'm asking is something PB should be very good at but is too-easily-distracted to focus on: namely, which of two parties is going to win an election?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    What's the achievement in SCON coming second in an election ?

They spent most of their life coming second in elections.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Dixie said:

viewcode said:

Damn. From what you're saying:

* Khan has a lead *but* there is a combination of events that may lead to him losing and Kengate has made that combination more likely.
    * The odds are such that futures value betting (betting on X, then betting on notX as the election approaches, reaping the change in odds) may be profitable but the time between now and then is short and the movement in odds unlikely to be big enough to make this profitable. * A simple value bet on Zac may be profitable (since the odds of 17/1 are plainly too large for a two-man race) but it runs the risk of being a good-value-loser
    * A simple bet on Khan to win is still the most-probable route to a profit, but it's not the slam-dunk it was.
    OGH is covered with 17 to 1 if Zac wins. Labour are worried if turnout goes below 35% because they claim that will affect them more. It is likely to be below 35% but no one knows if it will affect them more. I am not a betting man but OGH got Khan at 33 to 1 and has laid him by picking up Zac at 17 to 1. That's' amazing in a 2 horse race. DYOR but Blues not given up yet.
  • Options

What's the achievement in SCON coming second in an election ?

They spent most of their life coming second in elections.
    It'll be further evidence of Cameron's awesomeness.

When Dave became Tory leader, the Tories had 40 fewer Scottish MPs than Labour, now the Tories have the same number of Scottish MPs as Labour.

Finishing ahead of Labour in the Scottish Parliament elections would be the cherry on the parfait.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    Holyrood Phone Poll:
    Const-SNP:49 LAB:21 CON:19 LD:7 AP:5
    List-SNP:43 LAB:19 CON:20 LD:6 GRE:7 UKIP:2 AP:2
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Tories win a majority
    Corbyn wins Labour leadership
    Leicester win the premiership
    Brexit win the referendum
    Trump wins POTUS