Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

13»

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2016
    Any news on the canvassing front?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    AndyJS said:

Any news on the canvassing front?

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/727104414268411906
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Times front page

"Blair and Bill Clinton combine forces to campaign against Brexit"

That's an interesting development.....
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Jonathan said:

Tories win a majority
    Corbyn wins Labour leadership
    Leicester win the premiership

Amazing.
    Jonathan said:

Brexit win the referendum
    Trump wins POTUS
    SeanT wins Booker

At least one of those is terrifying.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,008
    Jonathan said:

Tories win a majority
    Trump wins POTUS
    SeanT wins Booker

Horribly possible. Except for the last bit, obvs: that's just science-fiction... :)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Hmmm. Does Labour's electoral system allow for stalking horses?

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/727259381922971649
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    tyson said:

I think Roger really does know better than Lucy Powell, probably much better. I don't think I could compare them.

Labour lefties, like me, have a problem with how Israel has exploited it's overwhelmingly superior arms to oppress a minority. My family is Jewish lineage, I spent the best part of a year in Israel, I love Israel but I hate the way it has made matters worse over recent years.

Off topic- well done Leicester. What a wonderful story.

Floater said:

Kate McCann
    True scale of Labour's antisemitism problem laid bare: 50 members suspended over racism claims, 20 in last 2 weeks https://t.co/85WGP2Ytuw

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/02/labour-has-secretly-suspended-50-members-for-anti-semitic-and-ra/

Oh look Roger

"Sunday night shadow education secretary Lucy Powell became the first shadow cabinet minister to acknowledge the party had a problem with anti-semitism.

She told Channel 4 News : "There clearly is an issue with anti-Semitism in the Labour Party otherwise we wouldn't have spent the best part of the last six or seven days talking about it."

Still, you obviously know better.
    Hi Tyson. You've arrived at one of those Alice in Wonderland moments. Guido and Littlejohn are leading a right wing hunt for anti Semites.
  • Options
    I predicted this a few weeks ago, when she first appeared on the radar

Shazia Awan, a former Conservative candidate for constituency of Leigh, said she was switching to the Labour party after watching Zac Goldsmith’s “repulsive” campaign for Mayor.

Ms Awan had earlier criticised Goldsmith’s candidacy in an article for the New Statesman, saying it was “exploitative and ugly”.

She spoke out after another Tory woman, Binita Mehta, group leader at Watford Council, said Zac Goldsmith was “patronising” London’s Indian voters.

A day after Goldsmith’s piece in the Mail on Sunday, which used an image from the 7/7 terrorist attacks to criticise Labour, Ms Awan had finally had enough.

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/05/life-long-tory-voter-turns-switches-to-labour-after-zac-goldsmiths-repulsive-campaign/
  • Options
    glw said:

Jonathan said:

Tories win a majority

Amazing.
    Jonathan said:

Trump wins POTUS
    SeanT wins Booker

At least one of those is terrifying.
    I count five
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

It's Labour. It should be a Stalking donkey with a red rosette
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Congrats to Leicester.

I wonder if we'll see the Premiership won by another 'small' team next year.

Tottenham for example.

They'll first need to learn to keep their heads. Sky said that in the 13 minutes after the equaliser they had four yellow cards and zero shots.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Shazia Awan, a former Conservative candidate for constituency of Leigh, said she was switching to the Labour party after watching Zac Goldsmith’s “repulsive” campaign for Mayor.

Ms Awan had earlier criticised Goldsmith’s candidacy in an article for the New Statesman, saying it was “exploitative and ugly”.

She spoke out after another Tory woman, Binita Mehta, group leader at Watford Council, said Zac Goldsmith was “patronising” London’s Indian voters.

A day after Goldsmith’s piece in the Mail on Sunday, which used an image from the 7/7 terrorist attacks to criticise Labour, Ms Awan had finally had enough.

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/05/life-long-tory-voter-turns-switches-to-labour-after-zac-goldsmiths-repulsive-campaign/

It looks like Awan will be at home with Labour and their identity politics...

https://twitter.com/ShaziaAwan/status/727061897883848704
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142

Congrats to Leicester.

Tottenham for example.

They'll first need to learn to keep their heads. Sky said that in the 13 minutes after the equaliser they had four yellow cards and zero shots.
    They should have had two reds as well.

I think there are now 13 different champions of England since 'big 5' Tottenham last won the old First Division.

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045

In a way this is disturbing but the real story is that Zac is another Tory buffoon (cue Bollywood...)

LOL
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2016
    Complaining about racism and divisive behaviour and then joining Labour is beyond parody.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

tyson said:

I think Roger really does know better than Lucy Powell, probably much better. I don't think I could compare them.

Labour lefties, like me, have a problem with how Israel has exploited it's overwhelmingly superior arms to oppress a minority. My family is Jewish lineage, I spent the best part of a year in Israel, I love Israel but I hate the way it has made matters worse over recent years.

Floater said:

Kate McCann
    True scale of Labour's antisemitism problem laid bare: 50 members suspended over racism claims, 20 in last 2 weeks https://t.co/85WGP2Ytuw

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/02/labour-has-secretly-suspended-50-members-for-anti-semitic-and-ra/

Oh look Roger

"Sunday night shadow education secretary Lucy Powell became the first shadow cabinet minister to acknowledge the party had a problem with anti-semitism.

She told Channel 4 News : "There clearly is an issue with anti-Semitism in the Labour Party otherwise we wouldn't have spent the best part of the last six or seven days talking about it."

The Israelis have behaved at times like absolute bastards. I expect I'd behave like that when I know that no-one in Europe will come to my aid if I'm under threat (just like they stood by when my relations were being slaughtered like cattle) and when I'm faced with people whose leaders have expressly stated that they will kill me and all who are like me.

It is not good. It is not pretty. It is not the best of Jewish behaviour or thought. It is awful and creates more misery, more violence and more demands for revenge. It risks leaving you friendless.

But if the choice is between being seen as nice but dead or as a bastard but alive, which would you choose?

Easy, very easy, to criticise others. But we do not have the mentality of the suitcase under the bed or a history of people wanting to wipe us off the face of the earth. That puts some steel into the soul, I imagine.

All those nice German Jews, so assimilated, so cultured, who thought of themselves as Germans, who contributed, who fought for Germany, who thought the whirlwind would pass, who thought that if they kept their head down this too would pass. What good did all their niceness and culture and passivity do them?

You could with justification have made that case thirty years ago. Not now. The Zionist ambition is to attract the diaspora back to the homeland and for that they need and believe they are entitled to 'Judea and Samaria' thanks to a 3000 year old promise. The threat no longer exists and has been overtaken by the ambition and in order to achieve this they will do what's necessary.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

So well anyhoo, in an attempt to extract something useful from this site, let's talk about the London Mayorality. The polling for Sadiq Khan is much bigger than for Zac Goldsmith, but those numbers were before GotterKennerung. Are there any polls scheduled before the election on Thursday that will tell us whether a Galloway-sized upset is on the cards?

Imagine (and I don't think this likely) that Khan did not win. Can you imagine the shenanigans there will be inside Labour if Khan feels that he lost the Mayoralty because of Ken and Shah's big mouths and Corbyn's inept handling of the situation? Blood on the carpet will be the very least of it.

We can but dream.
    Well yes, but ultimately what I'm asking is something PB should be very good at but is too-easily-distracted to focus on: namely, which of two parties is going to win an election?
    Not aware of upcoming polls but no doubt there will be some.

I am very sceptical that Khan is in any trouble at all. The poll showing a sharp national swing to Con had fieldwork over the Kenaclasm period. That says to me that the movement wasn't caused by Ken - news doesn't filter through into voting intention that fast. So, it was either a rogue or the public just kind of likes the calm united look the Tories are giving it.

Meanwhile, all the London polls we have had show Khan winning at a canter.
  • Options

What's the achievement in SCON coming second in an election ?

They spent most of their life coming second in elections.
    It'll be further evidence of Cameron's awesomeness.

When Dave became Tory leader, the Tories had 40 fewer Scottish MPs than Labour, now the Tories have the same number of Scottish MPs as Labour.

Finishing ahead of Labour in the Scottish Parliament elections would be the cherry on the parfait.
    And Scotland is now even more left-wing and nationalist.

Cameron's attempt to revitalise SCON has been as humiliating a failure as his attempts to re-establish the Conservatives in English cities.

The Welsh and English industrial area Conservatives must be relieved Cameron ignored them.

• Options
    Wanderer said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

So well anyhoo, in an attempt to extract something useful from this site, let's talk about the London Mayorality. The polling for Sadiq Khan is much bigger than for Zac Goldsmith, but those numbers were before GotterKennerung. Are there any polls scheduled before the election on Thursday that will tell us whether a Galloway-sized upset is on the cards?

Imagine (and I don't think this likely) that Khan did not win. Can you imagine the shenanigans there will be inside Labour if Khan feels that he lost the Mayoralty because of Ken and Shah's big mouths and Corbyn's inept handling of the situation? Blood on the carpet will be the very least of it.

We can but dream.
    Well yes, but ultimately what I'm asking is something PB should be very good at but is too-easily-distracted to focus on: namely, which of two parties is going to win an election?

I am very sceptical that Khan is in any trouble at all. The poll showing a sharp national swing to Con had fieldwork over the Kenaclasm period. That says to me that the movement wasn't caused by Ken - news doesn't filter through into voting intention that fast. So, it was either a rogue or the public just kind of likes the calm united look the Tories are giving it.

Thank you, that's useful. Anybody want to offer counter-argument?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977

When Dave became Tory leader, the Tories had 40 fewer Scottish MPs than Labour, now the Tories have the same number of Scottish MPs as Labour.

Finishing ahead of Labour in the Scottish Parliament elections would be the cherry on the parfait.

Cameron's attempt to revitalise SCON has been as humiliating a failure as his attempts to re-establish the Conservatives in English cities.

The Welsh and English industrial area Conservatives must be relieved Cameron ignored them.

Nationalist, not left wing. The SNP governs from the centre right.

• Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

tyson said:

The Israelis have behaved at times like absolute bastards. I expect I'd behave like that when I know that no-one in Europe will come to my aid if I'm under threat (just like they stood by when my relations were being slaughtered like cattle) and when I'm faced with people whose leaders have expressly stated that they will kill me and all who are like me.

It is not good. It is not pretty. It is not the best of Jewish behaviour or thought. It is awful and creates more misery, more violence and more demands for revenge. It risks leaving you friendless.

But if the choice is between being seen as nice but dead or as a bastard but alive, which would you choose?

Easy, very easy, to criticise others. But we do not have the mentality of the suitcase under the bed or a history of people wanting to wipe us off the face of the earth. That puts some steel into the soul, I imagine.

All those nice German Jews, so assimilated, so cultured, who thought of themselves as Germans, who contributed, who fought for Germany, who thought the whirlwind would pass, who thought that if they kept their head down this too would pass. What good did all their niceness and culture and passivity do them?

You could with justification have made that case thirty years ago. Not now. The Zionist ambition is to attract the diaspora back to the homeland and for that they need and believe they are entitled to 'Judea and Samaria' thanks to a 3000 year old promise. The threat no longer exists and has been overtaken by the ambition and in order to achieve this they will do what's necessary.
    Why do you say the threat to Israel 'no longer exists' ?
  • Options

I suspect they would disagree with you.

And if they have been governing from the centre right then you'll be expecting a big swing to SLAB this week.
  • Options
    Fun in Yorkshire

RAF typhoons cause sonic booms across Yorkshire

Two loud bangs heard across Yorkshire are being blamed on sonic booms. It was caused after an RAF Typhoon fighter jet was caused to deal with an 'unresponsive civilian aircraft'

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/update/2016-05-02/typhoon-fighter-jet-creates-sonic-boom-across-the-region/
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Roger said:

The threat no longer exists

Nonsense. You seem to have this uncanny knack of blanking out facts that don't fit your weird views.

Here's the threat that exists, some of which is raging right now. The Arab spring destabilising the region and Islamists piggy-backing on that, Egypt and Libya being particularly concerning to Israel. Civil war in Syria, Israel's chief enemy, which has seen Russian and Iranian forces, as well as Hezbollah, fighting right on Israel's doorstep, and then there are the genocidal psychopaths ISIL in case you have forgotten. And if that wasn't enough we have Iran's pursuit of the nuclear bomb, which is hopefully stopped for now, but lets face it the Middle East has a long track record of things flaring up again after a period of quiet.

I don't suppose there are many people living in Israel who think "the threat no longer exists".
  • Options

And if they have been governing from the centre right then you'll be expecting a big swing to SLAB this week.

Only if I thought Scotland is a left wing country. It's not. It's pretty much like the rest of the UK in terms of attitude and outlook.

• Options
    Leicester. That. Is. All.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited May 2016

Congrats to Leicester.

Tottenham for example.

That was a nice little earner! £1 at 3000/1 ew placed in August, plus topped up at lower odds as the season went on. Tipped here at 20/1 by yours truly in Dec :-)

Unreal scenes in the city centre. When you're smiling....

Skybet have Leicester at 33/1 to win next season and 5/1 to make top 4. Looks value to me for a team that won the title with a couple of games to spare.

Congrats to Spurs too. Second place is the best that they have done for years.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    50 suspended & Roger is still doing his best comical Ali impression.
  • Options

Only if I thought Scotland is a left wing country. It's not. It's pretty much like the rest of the UK in terms of attitude and outlook.

So how do you explain those generations of Labour dominance in Scotland ?

Scotland might have been as socially conservative as the rest of the UK but its always been more economically left.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    Roger said:

tyson said:

Floater said:

Kate McCann

Oh look Roger

Hi Tyson. You've arrived at one of those Alice in Wonderland moments. Guido and Littlejohn are leading a right wing hunt for anti Semites.
    When the prize is anti Semites why does it matter the right wing, ignoring all the labour people agreeing with the outcomes agsinst those found, are leading the hunt? I hope a right or left wing can flag up even more.
  • Options

But perceives itself as different in a radical sense.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2016
    What explains Joe Biden @ 100/1 next POTUS ?

Anything Hillary/FBI related?

• Options

Got tickets for Saturday? Its going to be a hell of a party!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited May 2016
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

tyson said:

Floater said:

Kate McCann

Oh look Roger

When the prize is anti Semites why does it matter the right wing, ignoring all the labour people agreeing with the outcomes agsinst those found, are leading the hunt? I hope a right or left wing can flag up even more.
    I suspect we will see some racist tweets by Tory councillors at some point (I would say and lib dems, but they don't exactly exist these days).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

tyson said:

Floater said:

Kate McCann

Oh look Roger

The upper middle class leftist has always prided themselves on being morally superior.

This week's events risk exposing them as hypocrites or bigots.

The likes of Roger and Tyson would have an existential crisis if the issue continues to escalate.

• Options
    Pong said:

What explains Joe Biden @ 100/1 next POTUS ?

Anything Hillary/FBI related?

Would need Bernie to be taken out too?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Wanderer said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

We can but dream.

Nope. Khan is well liked it seems, the links to extremism attacks haven't hit his numbers so far and no reason they will suddenly start to, is at least as charismatic as zac, that is not much, and is not putting off moderates or corbynites it seems, London trends labour so even if nationally the Tories are holding up odds are they continue to be fine there, all of which adds up to a big win. He'd need a lot to go wrong, the previous polls to be well out, low turnout in his areas of strength and big blowback from the recent bad news to be in any danger. Unless a poll shows a sudden contraction in his support, Khan looks home and dry.
  • Options

Half a million people will claim they were at the game at some point in their lives.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    MP_SE said:

Has she studied the latest demographic data for Wales? I think she'll find white people make up a rather hefty majority of the population.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Roger said:

tyson said:

Floater said:

Kate McCann

Oh look Roger

I suspect we will see some racist tweets by Tory councillors at some point (I would say and lib dems, but they don't exactly exist these days).
    I welcome it. We don't need to prosecute racist idiots for the crime of idiocy, but shining a light on them and seeing them shrivel up is fun. Must always be wary of over doing the accusations, but there's likely plenty of genuine cases out there, and it shouldn't matter who sniffs them out.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Yes -I have not worked that out either! Surely if Hodge runs and beats Corbyn she becomes the new leader. How can she then drop out?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Roger said:

tyson said:

Floater said:

Kate McCann

Oh look Roger

Plenty of ld cllrs in the shires. Outnumber labour 5 -1 in my neck of the woods.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

50 suspended & Roger is still doing his best comical Ali impression.

It is all rather sad.

I have thought him wrong headed on a number of occasions, but this...... whole new level.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Wanderer said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

We can but dream.

Nope. Khan is well liked it seems, the links to extremism attacks haven't hit his numbers so far and no reason they will suddenly start to, is at least as charismatic as zac, that is not much, and is not putting off moderates or corbynites it seems, London trends labour so even if nationally the Tories are holding up odds are they continue to be fine there, all of which adds up to a big win. He'd need a lot to go wrong, the previous polls to be well out, low turnout in his areas of strength and big blowback from the recent bad news to be in any danger. Unless a poll shows a sudden contraction in his support, Khan looks home and dry.
    OK, thank you
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    viewcode said:

Wanderer said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

We can but dream.

I would also like to hear the counter-arguments. On the morning of the Kenpocalypse I said that only a black swan could stop Khan. I don't think what has been happening is that black swan. But I admit to being a little nervous. I think the question is, will Hitlergate fire up an anti-Labour vote sufficient to beat Khan? I don't see it.

Edit: to clarify, I'm nervous because I'm betting on Khan. I don't care hugely about the result otherwise.
  • Options
    One of those 'which politician are you' quizzes the other day said I was Margaret hodge, so a good potential leader obviously. Granted it said I was solid labour and based off 8 questions, but still

Good night
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Wanderer said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

We can but dream.

OK, thank you
    I hasten to add I know very little about London other that what I read on the Internet, take any views with a pinch of salt.
  • Options

Scotland might have been as socially conservative as the rest of the UK but its always been more economically left.

Identity more than anything else. The SNP does not have a single redistributive policy and spends a lot of money subsidising the middle classes at the expense of those further down the ladder. They know what they need to do to get elected. Talk left, act right, wave the flag. The Scots live it

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Parting note, I think Janan Ganesh as usual makes some good points re Labour's recent woes not necessarily manifesting as a problem now, but later, with the public making snap judgements which impact matter, but I get the impression he thinks labour will either still be led by Corbyn in 2020 or the replacement will suffer bring labelled due to thinks Corbyn has done. Maybe, but I don't think that's as certain myself.

http://app.ft.com/cms/s/67e4e6a8-0e01-11e6-b41f-0beb7e589515.html
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Roger said:

Floater said:

Kate McCann

Oh look Roger

I don't say there isn't a problem with anti Semitism I just despise the ignorance of the accusations. The deliberate attempts to conflate criticism of Israel with anti Semitism discredits those making the accusations.

It isn't helped by being peddled by those on the who have an agenda and who-when it comes to racism-would be at the top of most people's list.

Or have I misjudged the two right wing filth peddlers Guido and Littlejohn?
    hmm interesting

You might want to reread what you actually wrote.

At best you are being blindly tribal.

Also, what the feck does it matter who points out the anti semitism.?

You seem to care more about the who rather than the actual deeds.

It has taken days to get you to the point of admitting Labour has a problem with it.

One last point because I am pretty sure I am wasting my time on you but it's not just the right pointing this out is it?

People on the left have been saying this for years.

• Options

Half a million people will claim they were at the game at some point in their lives.
    But I will be there with fox jr!
  • Options

But I will be there with fox jr!
    Only a pitch invasion will prove it :wink:
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    Roger said:

tyson said:

Floater said:

Kate McCann

Oh look Roger

Only because the left won't do it......
  • Options

Identity more than anything else. The SNP does not have a single redistributive policy and spends a lot of money subsidising the middle classes at the expense of those further down the ladder. They know what they need to do to get elected. Talk left, act right, wave the flag. The Scots live it

By definition that has only a limited shelf life.

And should see a swing leftwards this week - if not to SLAB to fringe leftist parties.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

By definition that has only a limited shelf life.

And should see a swing leftwards this week - if not to SLAB to fringe leftist parties.
    All politics has a limited shelf life but that limit is likely longer than a week ...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Wanderer said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

We can but dream.

OK, thank you
    I hasten to add I know very little about London other that what I read on the Internet, take any views with a pinch of salt.
    I'm working on the basis that PB is a good predictor for one very narrow thing (which of two parties will get the most votes), and using that as a betting guide. Don't worry about submitting data from predigested sources: provide you're upfront about it, I know how to interpret the info.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Tourists in London who walk slowly, get in the way, and stop to look at maps when in inconvenient places, should be rounded up, glued to the pavement, and trampled on by elephants. Then they might learn to be a bit more reasonable. Congratulations to Leicester, by the way. I'm still debating with myself whether I should get excited about their achievement just because lots of other people have been excited about it for months.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    Janan Ganesh on Labour - 'Things can only get better Worse....

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/67e4e6a8-0e01-11e6-b41f-0beb7e589515.html
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited May 2016
    AndyJS said:

MP_SE said:

Has she studied the latest demographic data for Wales? I think she'll find white people make up a rather hefty majority of the population.
    95.6% white at last census. Two Davies's and a Jones over represent those surnames mind even in Wales.
This discussion has been closed.