Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Now Smarkets has a market on a LOCAL council by-election – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,667

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Might the Morocco--UK solar project actually go ahead now ?
    This autumn's fun and games in the energy markets might just provide the impetus.

https://reneweconomy.com.au/massive-10-5gw-wind-solar-and-battery-project-in-morocco-to-send-power-to-uk/
    ...Xlinks is hoping to secure its capacity into Great Britain via the UK Government’s Contracts for Difference (CfD) mechanism – which this month unveiled that it would support a range of technologies in its fourth round.

But it insists that apart from this it will not require government subsidy or financing, and will still be able to deliver electricity at the £48/MWh CfD – below the central forecast for energy prices proposed by the UK Department for Business, Energy & Strategy (BEIS).

The aptly named Morocco – UK Power Project will, in addition to its 3,800km HVDC sub-sea cable, build its wind and solar capacity across an area of approximately 1,500 square km in Morocco’s Guelmim Oued Noun region.

“Xlinks is a Morocco – British first,” said Sir Dave Lewis, the the executive chair of Xlinks and a former Tesco CEO. “Using proven technology, it will deliver clean power to over 7 million British homes in this decade....

Interesting. How much does that cable cost per km, I wonder?

Also, I appreciate the middle of the Bay of Biscay is deep but why do they choose to lay the cable around the coast, why not in a direct line from Morroco to Finisterre to Cornwall?

My first thought was I don't know how useful such a zoomed out map is of such a route, as if its main purpose was just to remind us all where Morocco and the UK are in relation to each other.

Which surely isn't necessary now Raab is not Foreign Minister.

I see the map is not touching on the Western Sahara controversy.
    The map very clearly shows that the route hugs the coast and is mentioned as being 3,800km. It would only be about 2,300km if it took the shortest sea route.
    I wasn't disputing any of that, its just that there's probably a lot of fine detail in exactly how to hug the coast, so I'm not sure how much is gained in understanding from the diagram.
    Ok but if the map is to be believed a decision has been taken that it's more advantageous to add 1,500km to the length in order to avoid dropping the cable to depths of greater than circa 300m. Maybe it's to do with the ablility to repair and future breaks or damage?
    It may be to avoid shallowish areas where seabed trawling goes on.
    Also, we've had 150 years experience of repairing communication cables in massively deep oceanic waters. I *assume* the power cables will be thicker, and have greater armour, but the same tech should work.

I've just found the following, which is interesting:
    https://www.youris.com/energy/gallery/undersea-hvdc-cables-discovering-some-of-the-worlds-top-power-interconnections.kl
    It is interesting, thanks.

Reading the article, that 600mW cable weighs 55kg per metre and had to be laid in two sections and joined in the middle because no ship is big enough to carry the full length (250km in this case - which if my maths is right would be 13,750 tonnes). 13,750 t doesn't sound that huge for a ship but as a single reel maybe that's too big?

But the Morocco – UK Power Project cale is 10.5gW over 3,800km. If the weight per m is proportional to the capacity that's nearly a ton per metre so presumably it's just made up of multiple small cables (e.g. 18 x the 55kg/m cable). But the weight of a single 2,300km cable (for the direct route) even at 55kg/m would be over 125,000 tonnes... So quite a lot!

Hence I reckon thats the reason they hug the coast: to join the multiple sections.
    Might be a volume thing: you have to fit in the reel, or a file of reels, into the ship with space to work around and deploy the cable. Some ships are limited by the mass of their load (e.g. iron ore carriers, Dreadnoughts with their armour and gun turrets). Others are limited by the volume of their upper works (e.g. car ferries, pax ships, modern warships with lots of lightweight electronics and comfort for the matelots).
  • Options
    @dwnews
    Russia's Foreign Ministry reports massive troop deployments by Tajikistan and Afghanistan along their shared border and has called on both sides to de-escalate.

https://www.dw.com/en/russia-says-tajiks-afghans-amassing-troops-at-shared-border-urges-solution/a-59367291
  • Options
    Starmer is +5 with 18-34s, Johnson is +0 with over 65s
  • Options
    Aslan said:

This debate over HGV drivers made me look up the salary limits for other jobs. It turns out that we are letting in people for a huge range of jobs at close to minimum wage as long as you are under 26.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/skilled-worker-visa-eligible-salary-if-youre-under-26-studying-training-or-in-a-postdoctoral-role/skilled-worker-visa-minimum-salary-if-youre-under-26-studying-training-or-in-a-postdoctoral-role

Some of them are as low as 10k! And for clearly non-critical jobs like fitness instructor. This seems completely nuts. Partially this is because we are setting these numbers at 70% of the "going rate" for UK workers, which is explicitly letting companies undercut the market rate with foreign labour.

Reading a bit more it seems you have to be studying for a degree at the same time. So will be paying many thousands to UK plc and unlikely to have a full time job, whereas might be able to do a few hours as a fitness instructor.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    RobD said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Which UK political party shares its name with a collective noun for moles?

Open to hear the contestant's answer:

https://twitter.com/ZainudeenT/status/1443601264655441925

Very funny. But how can you leave us in suspense like that? What's the right answer?

Is it Common Wealth?
    Apparently the correct answer is a labour of moles.
    Ah, thank you.

Perhaps it would be more entertaining to guess which species would be appropriate to the different political parties.

An alliance of ferrets.

A plaid of goats.

A ukip of dinosaurs.

A reform of chameleons.

And so on.
    A scum of Tories?
    I was thinking a donation, but that's definitely more topical.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Very funny. But how can you leave us in suspense like that? What's the right answer?

Is it Common Wealth?
    Ah, thank you.

Perhaps it would be more entertaining to guess which species would be appropriate to the different political parties.

An alliance of ferrets.

A plaid of goats.

A ukip of dinosaurs.

A reform of chameleons.

And so on.
    A scum of Tories?
    A Tory of scums, surely?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Where is the fuel effect

Survation.

NEW – Westminster Voting Intention:

CON 41% (+1)
    LAB 36% (+1)
    LD 8% (-)
    GRN 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+1)
    OTH 4% (-4)

https://survation.com/political-polling-30-september-2021/

It's in the sliding approval figures, e.g. approval of the Government down to 32%, vs 45% disapproving. The Conservative lead is actually just 1% point with normal weighting, but goes up to 5 when weighted for likelihood to vote, for the usual age-related factors.
    I noticed that but labour are not closing yet, but as I said earlier the polls that may indicate a change will only show after Boris's conference speech next week and the budget on the 27th, though we will then be heading into COP26
    Labour are not closing.
    But petrol stations are!
  • Options
    Labour -6, Tories -10
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Is it Common Wealth?
    Ah, thank you.

An alliance of ferrets.

A plaid of goats.

A ukip of dinosaurs.

A reform of chameleons.

And so on.
    A Liberal Democrats of Prime Minister Jo Swinsons
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,327

Selebian said:

PB brains trust query:
    We're currently getting quotes for building work, substantial extension, probably be towards £100k, so we want it done right. Just had someone round to quote who is doing work down the road. A bit of Googling has revealed the company in question was incorporated in 2020 and the person we spoke to (owner) had a previous building company which underwent creditors voluntary liquidation in 2020 at around the same time. We'll obviously ask about this if we consider going further, but is it - on the face of it - sketchy? Or might there be quite innocuous explanations?

(We just got this guy in as an 'extra' quote really - already had builder round who did a big extension for sister-in-law and have a couple more reccommended by architect, but they're proving hard to pin down. We want at least a few quotes to compare, but would most likely go for the guy we know most about unless there are good reasons to choose someone else)

Hmmmmm

Not especially good sounding - how long was the previous company running for?

Yes, constructive bankruptcies are a standard operating procedure for a certain type.
    I once arguably blackmailed a company for doing that - curious to know whether people feel I was overstepping the mark. A constituent came to me to say that a company, call them ABC Builders, had done shoddy work and but was refusing to put it right. I contacted them for comment, and they said that they were no longer ABC, they were ABD, and accepted no responsibility for what ABC might or might not have done. They were at the same address, with the same telephone number, but the managing director had changed from Mr X to Mrs X.

I said that I was planning to write an article in the Nottingham Post about companies who evaded their responsibilities by changing their legal status, and it occurred to me that this would make an excellent example. Would they like to talk to my constituent about addressing his problems before I wrote it?

I received a solicitor's letter, saying that I appeared to be trying to blackmail their client and they were prepared to take legal action against me. I told them to bring it on (calculating that they were unlikely to win and tmy constituents would be on my side). They caved.

There's no doubt that I was pressuring them to take action that they had no legal requirement to do, and that MPs should in general not use their access to the press to pressure people, however much they feel justified. On the other hand, morally my constituent was entirely in the right and they didn't even bother to argue about it. I don't really have any regrets.
  • Options

Starmer is +5 with 18-34s, Johnson is +0 with over 65s

My favourite cherry picking is when it makes you go "meh?"
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Where is the fuel effect

Survation.

CON 41% (+1)
    LAB 36% (+1)
    LD 8% (-)
    GRN 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+1)
    OTH 4% (-4)

It's in the sliding approval figures, e.g. approval of the Government down to 32%, vs 45% disapproving. The Conservative lead is actually just 1% point with normal weighting, but goes up to 5 when weighted for likelihood to vote, for the usual age-related factors.
    I noticed that but labour are not closing yet, but as I said earlier the polls that may indicate a change will only show after Boris's conference speech next week and the budget on the 27th, though we will then be heading into COP26
    Labour are not closing.
    But petrol stations are!
    Not round here, back to near normal and confirmed by our Asda delivery driver this morning and by my trip into town this pm
  • Options
    Johnson is very popular in the North and the Midlands (relatively), Starmer is not
  • Options

Farooq said:

Where is the fuel effect

Survation.

CON 41% (+1)
    LAB 36% (+1)
    LD 8% (-)
    GRN 5% (+1)
    SNP 5% (+1)
    OTH 4% (-4)

Labour are not closing.
    But petrol stations are!
    Not round here, back to near normal and confirmed by our Asda delivery driver this morning and by my trip into town this pm
    Lucky you! Pity it's not the same story everywhere.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

Aslan said:

This debate over HGV drivers made me look up the salary limits for other jobs. It turns out that we are letting in people for a huge range of jobs at close to minimum wage as long as you are under 26.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/skilled-worker-visa-eligible-salary-if-youre-under-26-studying-training-or-in-a-postdoctoral-role/skilled-worker-visa-minimum-salary-if-youre-under-26-studying-training-or-in-a-postdoctoral-role

Some of them are as low as 10k! And for clearly non-critical jobs like fitness instructor. This seems completely nuts. Partially this is because we are setting these numbers at 70% of the "going rate" for UK workers, which is explicitly letting companies undercut the market rate with foreign labour.

Reading a bit more it seems you have to be studying for a degree at the same time. So will be paying many thousands to UK plc and unlikely to have a full time job, whereas might be able to do a few hours as a fitness instructor.
    No, you don't. You need to EITHER be in training OR be under 26. The training bit seems reasonable but the under 26 bit does not. I can understand some reduced salary for younger people, but now jobs at 11k a year! And can be less if you are pro rated!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This autumn's fun and games in the energy markets might just provide the impetus.

https://reneweconomy.com.au/massive-10-5gw-wind-solar-and-battery-project-in-morocco-to-send-power-to-uk/
    ...Xlinks is hoping to secure its capacity into Great Britain via the UK Government’s Contracts for Difference (CfD) mechanism – which this month unveiled that it would support a range of technologies in its fourth round.

But it insists that apart from this it will not require government subsidy or financing, and will still be able to deliver electricity at the £48/MWh CfD – below the central forecast for energy prices proposed by the UK Department for Business, Energy & Strategy (BEIS).

The aptly named Morocco – UK Power Project will, in addition to its 3,800km HVDC sub-sea cable, build its wind and solar capacity across an area of approximately 1,500 square km in Morocco’s Guelmim Oued Noun region.

“Xlinks is a Morocco – British first,” said Sir Dave Lewis, the the executive chair of Xlinks and a former Tesco CEO. “Using proven technology, it will deliver clean power to over 7 million British homes in this decade....

Also, I appreciate the middle of the Bay of Biscay is deep but why do they choose to lay the cable around the coast, why not in a direct line from Morroco to Finisterre to Cornwall?

My first thought was I don't know how useful such a zoomed out map is of such a route, as if its main purpose was just to remind us all where Morocco and the UK are in relation to each other.

The map very clearly shows that the route hugs the coast and is mentioned as being 3,800km. It would only be about 2,300km if it took the shortest sea route.
    I wasn't disputing any of that, its just that there's probably a lot of fine detail in exactly how to hug the coast, so I'm not sure how much is gained in understanding from the diagram.
    Ok but if the map is to be believed a decision has been taken that it's more advantageous to add 1,500km to the length in order to avoid dropping the cable to depths of greater than circa 300m. Maybe it's to do with the ablility to repair and future breaks or damage?
    Also, we've had 150 years experience of repairing communication cables in massively deep oceanic waters. I *assume* the power cables will be thicker, and have greater armour, but the same tech should work.

https://www.youris.com/energy/gallery/undersea-hvdc-cables-discovering-some-of-the-worlds-top-power-interconnections.kl

Reading the article, that 600mW cable weighs 55kg per metre and had to be laid in two sections and joined in the middle because no ship is big enough to carry the full length (250km in this case - which if my maths is right would be 13,750 tonnes). 13,750 t doesn't sound that huge for a ship but as a single reel maybe that's too big?

But the Morocco – UK Power Project cale is 10.5gW over 3,800km. If the weight per m is proportional to the capacity that's nearly a ton per metre so presumably it's just made up of multiple small cables (e.g. 18 x the 55kg/m cable). But the weight of a single 2,300km cable (for the direct route) even at 55kg/m would be over 125,000 tonnes... So quite a lot!

Hence I reckon thats the reason they hug the coast: to join the multiple sections.
    Might be a volume thing: you have to fit in the reel, or a file of reels, into the ship with space to work around and deploy the cable. Some ships are limited by the mass of their load (e.g. iron ore carriers, Dreadnoughts with their armour and gun turrets). Others are limited by the volume of their upper works (e.g. car ferries, pax ships, modern warships with lots of lightweight electronics and comfort for the matelots).
    Interestingly, one of the first (and the first successful) transatlantic cable was laid by Brunel's SS Great Eastern in 1865, which was the only ship afloat large enough to carry the entire cable. The guy in charge was Daniel Gooch, once the Great Western Railway's chief mechanical engineer.

An earlier attempt used two ships, sailing from both coasts; the cables were joined in the middle. It only operated for three weeks, because the cable burnt out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Telegraph_Company
    https://spectrum.ieee.org/the-first-transatlantic-telegraph-cable-was-a-bold-beautiful-failure
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119
    A dup of lemmings?
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Aslan said:

No, you don't. You need to EITHER be in training OR be under 26. The training bit seems reasonable but the under 26 bit does not. I can understand some reduced salary for younger people, but now jobs at 11k a year! And can be less if you are pro rated!
    Also how is fitness instructor a shortage occupation? Bloody yoga mums can just pay more.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915

Evening all.

I note that in Survation, Johnson and Starmer are now equal on favourability, -12 for both

Bur Boris way ahead in Gross Positves

Beware the Optical Illusion of Net Ratings

http://aboutasfarasdelgados.blogspot.com/2021/03/
  • Options
    @Selebian

For what it's worth, my experience: We had extensive work done several years ago. We took the architects advice as to builder. He recommended someone he had worked with several times over a number of years. Their quote was the highest of three or four. We went with them.

They were superb.

One of the best bits of advice I have ever had.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

How much weight a ship can carry is called deadweight tonnage, dwt. Cable laying ships are highly specialised. Googling cable layer dwt is highly informative.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Aslan said:

Apologies, you are correct:

"You can be paid 70% of your job’s usual going rate if one of the following applies:

you’re under 26 on the date you apply
    you’re currently in the UK on a Student visa studying at bachelor’s degree level or above - or you have been in the last 2 years, and a Student or visit visa was your most recent visa
    you’re currently in the UK on a Graduate Entrepreneur visa
    you’ll be working towards a recognised qualification in a UK regulated profession
    you’ll be working towards full registration or chartered status in the job you’re being sponsored for"
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

Quite the thread here.

I had a trial yesterday where a 17 year old black girl (who had committed NO crime and has no criminal record) was grabbed and wrestled to the floor and handcuffed by two officers for “talking back” when she (correctly) said to them “you can’t do this” and asked them to step back

The officers were caught on CCTV stepping up to her right in her face (August last year - height of the pandemic) with no masks on and loudly telling her off (for something that isn’t a crime). After she backed off the third time whilst repeatedly saying “back off” they pounced.

This happened in broad daylight in Birmingham New Street station and everyone assumed the officers were in the right and a member of the public even came over to help the two officers who were sitting on top of her to restrain her.

She screamed out in pain and asked 21 times either “Why are you doing this to me?” or “What have I done?” and they didn’t reply to tell her why they were doing it or what she was said to have done.

Eventually one of them says she’s under arrest for assaulting them.

They lied throughout their evidence and said she had moved towards them aggressively and tried to hit one of them.

Two separate angles on the video show she does no such thing and is continuously backing off from them and looks scared.

Thankfully the case against her was thrown out, but quite frankly it’s theofficers who should’ve been prosecuted for assault. Had I not been able to get CCTV camera footage from the station it would’ve been her word against theirs and she would no doubt have been convicted.....

...The officers continued to assert throughout the trial that their actions were justified.

This is the problem.

This is the culture we have to deal with.

THIS IS WHY I GET SICK OF PEOPLE ASKING ME HOW I CAN “DEFEND CRIMINALS”.

P.S. A good illustration of the level of arrogance of one of the officers and their feeling that they are above the law: the Judge had to warn the officer about their conduct IN COURT and it continued so the Judge THREATENED TO LOCK THE OFFICER UP FOR CONTEMPT OF COURT.

The prosecutor, the clerk, the Judge, me - and several of my colleagues I spoke to - all of us with over 20 years experience in criminal trials - have NEVER seen an officer behave so badly that they were threatened with contempt.

Yet they are on patrol in New Street again today

If it’s any consolation our civil team are now going to take action against the police and I suspect one or both of them won’t be officers for much longer but hey - we represented the De Menezes family and no fucker lost their job when they killed a lad.

https://twitter.com/JudgeDewie/status/1443506723881422848

That is the key. The bad cops have to lose their jobs and be open to both civil and criminal prosecution. And their bosses, if they serially fail to attend to such failures, should lose their jobs and, depending on their own level of negligence, be open to similar prosecution.
    A part of the problem runs thus -

The cops on the ground are convinced that if something goes wrong, their superiors will stitch them up. There is no trust in the Senior Management Team.

In turn there is a widespread belief that there is no way that a senior officer would end up carrying the can - that they would pass the buck to junior officers.

In the case of De Mendes, the odd bit is that the police on the ground, who actually shot him were blameless. They were carrying out orders which they had reason to believe were lawful and necessary. It was the fuck up with the surveillance and the control of the operation which was the problem.

Which comes back to the doctrine of command responsibility. Where someone in authority can be guilty, but the subordinates who carried out what they thought were lawful orders are not.

The problem is that the police have been convinced that either they all hang together or they all hang separately. Hence the omertà...

How to deal with that?
    Wholesale removal of the top commanders who are ultimately responsible for their command's culture.
    Prosecute those police who commit crimes. Fire their superiors (and their superior's superiors).

That should encourage them to take a greater interest in how their subordinates behave.
    I thought we were trying to recruit 50,000 police officers, not fire 50,000 police officers!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Interestingly, one of the first (and the first successful) transatlantic cable was laid by Brunel's SS Great Eastern in 1865, which was the only ship afloat large enough to carry the entire cable. The guy in charge was Daniel Gooch, once the Great Western Railway's chief mechanical engineer.

An earlier attempt used two ships, sailing from both coasts; the cables were joined in the middle. It only operated for three weeks, because the cable burnt out.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/the-first-transatlantic-telegraph-cable-was-a-bold-beautiful-failure
    I think there is a vast difference between communication cables and high tension power cables when it comes to insulation etc.

This is a paper from the National Grid on burying high tension cables. The picture on the front is amazing although I am not sure how representative it is of the normal buried cables. The main issues appear to be insulation.

https://www.nationalgrid.com/sites/default/files/documents/45349-Undergrounding_high_voltage_electricity_transmission_lines_The_technical_issues_INT.pdf
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    Quite sad

‘Sparta Prague fans racially abused Monaco's Aurelien Tchouameni so faced a stadium closure tonight vs Rangers.

The only exception is that 10,000 local kids under 14 years are in but Glen Kamara, racially abused by Slavia’s Ondrej Kudela, is now being booed with every touch.’

https://twitter.com/jordanc1107/status/1443622508373192717?s=21
  • Options
    At least 116 people have died in Ecuador's worst-ever prison riot as rival drug gangs fought for two days using guns, grenades and knives, the country's president has revealed.

Six beheaded

D Mail.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Petrol shortage: No improvement in fuel supplies
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58747281

They must be lying. Philip_Thompson assured us that it'd all be over in 2-3 days.
    Both appear to be right. Things have improved overall. Things have not improved with some independents especially BP ones.
    "improved overall" != "all over"
    Sure it is. There's always been some stations at some times without fuel which is why this mass hysteria over a few not having it was so utterly irresponsible.

Largely stations are back to normal and anyone who wants fuel can get it.
    According the the PRA, over a quarter of their members are still without fuel. That is not a normal situation, and it's weird of you to make out that it is. Every other country in the world is pointing and laughing at us.
    Are you sure you are not over egging it, every country in the world !!!
    True, some have a little more consideration. They are merely smirking behind their hands.
    You don't think other countries have their own issues they ought to be concerned about rather than worrying about us? Yours seems rather an egocentric viewpoint.
    They're not worrying about us; they're laughing at us. We provide a little light relief from their own problems. You can't tell me you wouldn't be doing the same if it were French drivers queuing for petrol.
    I absolutely can say that.

The French have issues and protests and violence on a weekly violence with the Gilets Jaunes etc

I don't mention them at all, its none of my business and I don't especially care. Let them sort their own issues out and we can sort our own out.

You seem rather obsessed though. Not me.
    I'm merely pointing out your detachment from the reality that the rest of the world can see. We are not, as you seem to imagine, back to normal. A quarter of our petrol stations still have no fuel. This is not normal and it's delusional for you to claim otherwise.
    That was due to a scare leading to panic buying though. Not a shortage.
    There was a shortage of drivers AIUI. Or was that just fake news.
    But enough fuel.
    Yes. At the refineries. Do you accept there was a shortage of drivers? And if you do, do you think that a shortage of drivers might cause a shortage of fuel at the pumps.
    Affecting less than 100 petrol stations out of 8300 (and all of those BP) and with only 5 having to actually shut.

Until some fuckwit in the media decided to turn it into a crisis.
    There was a shortage of fuel at the pumps. 100 stations if that's what it was. Who knew it wouldn't be 500 within the week?
    There is always a shortage of petrol at some stations even in the best of times. If they had not mentioned it then no one would ever have known beyond those who had to drive to the next petrol station a few miles further along.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

They must be lying. Philip_Thompson assured us that it'd all be over in 2-3 days.
    Both appear to be right. Things have improved overall. Things have not improved with some independents especially BP ones.
    Sure it is. There's always been some stations at some times without fuel which is why this mass hysteria over a few not having it was so utterly irresponsible.

According the the PRA, over a quarter of their members are still without fuel. That is not a normal situation, and it's weird of you to make out that it is. Every other country in the world is pointing and laughing at us.
    True, some have a little more consideration. They are merely smirking behind their hands.
    You don't think other countries have their own issues they ought to be concerned about rather than worrying about us? Yours seems rather an egocentric viewpoint.
    They're not worrying about us; they're laughing at us. We provide a little light relief from their own problems. You can't tell me you wouldn't be doing the same if it were French drivers queuing for petrol.

The French have issues and protests and violence on a weekly violence with the Gilets Jaunes etc

I don't mention them at all, its none of my business and I don't especially care. Let them sort their own issues out and we can sort our own out.

I'm merely pointing out your detachment from the reality that the rest of the world can see. We are not, as you seem to imagine, back to normal. A quarter of our petrol stations still have no fuel. This is not normal and it's delusional for you to claim otherwise.
    But enough fuel.
    Yes. At the refineries. Do you accept there was a shortage of drivers? And if you do, do you think that a shortage of drivers might cause a shortage of fuel at the pumps.
    Affecting less than 100 petrol stations out of 8300 (and all of those BP) and with only 5 having to actually shut.

There was a shortage of fuel at the pumps. 100 stations if that's what it was. Who knew it wouldn't be 500 within the week?
    There is always a shortage of petrol at some stations even in the best of times. If they had not mentioned it then no one would ever have known beyond those who had to drive to the next petrol station a few miles further along.
    Interesting take from you and Philip. No shortage at all everything manufactured by the media.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

But enough fuel.

Interesting take from you and Philip. No shortage at all everything manufactured by the media.
    Weren't the leaked minutes already 3-4 weeks old by the time they were released last week? There were no reported shortages in the interim, so I think it is safe to say it was blown all out of proportion by the media.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

But enough fuel.

Bottom line yes.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

I think there is a vast difference between communication cables and high tension power cables when it comes to insulation etc.

This is a paper from the National Grid on burying high tension cables. The picture on the front is amazing although I am not sure how representative it is of the normal buried cables. The main issues appear to be insulation.

https://www.nationalgrid.com/sites/default/files/documents/45349-Undergrounding_high_voltage_electricity_transmission_lines_The_technical_issues_INT.pdf
    Thanks for that.

The old Woodhead railway tunnels carry 400-kv cables under the Pennines. From memory, they are laid in a trough, and water runs alongside them for cooling. By the time the water emerges it is considerably warmer than it started!

Initially the cables were in the old, Victorian tunnels. However a decade ago National Grid decided to place them in the modern (but disused) tunnel, meaning another significant barrier to reopening the old Woodhead railway.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

But enough fuel.

I think this week that would be true. What would happen if the driver situation did not improve quickly and we got a weeks worth of snow in the winter? Or even just more workers returning to commuting to the office and travelling around the country for meetings. This was going to happen sooner or later, the media brought it forward, but our infrastructure was crumbling and under pressure, with a government unwilling to help.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,426

@Selebian

For what it's worth, my experience: We had extensive work done several years ago. We took the architects advice as to builder. He recommended someone he had worked with several times over a number of years. Their quote was the highest of three or four. We went with them.

They were superb.

One of the best bits of advice I have ever had.

Thanks. Yes, makes sense. Architects should know!
  • Options

At least 116 people have died in Ecuador's worst-ever prison riot as rival drug gangs fought for two days using guns, grenades and knives, the country's president has revealed.

Six beheaded

D Mail.

There were riots earlier in the year that led to 79 deaths so things obviously haven't improved.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

But enough fuel.

I think this week that would be true. What would happen if the driver situation did not improve quickly and we got a weeks worth of snow in the winter? Or even just more workers returning to commuting to the office and travelling around the country for meetings. This was going to happen sooner or later, the media brought it forward, but our infrastructure was crumbling and under pressure, with a government unwilling to help.
    You've got the cause completely wrong.

Only one company (Hoyer) were struggling. They have the contract for BP and treat their drivers terribly, even by trucker standards. So they all left and couldn't be replaced, quickly which meant that deliveries failed to around 100 filling stations.

The government didn't say that it was only one firm struggling so people got worried and started buying more petrol than they needed. That depleted stocks in the remaining filling stations which led to more panic buying.
    Literally one company who can't test their drivers like humans caused this.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

But enough fuel.

You've got the cause completely wrong.

Only one company (Hoyer) were struggling. They have the contract for BP and treat their drivers terribly, even by trucker standards. So they all left and couldn't be replaced, quickly which meant that deliveries failed to around 100 filling stations.

The government didn't say that it was only one firm struggling so people got worried and started buying more petrol than they needed. That depleted stocks in the remaining filling stations which led to more panic buying.
    Literally one company who can't test their drivers like humans caused this.
    If one brand is shit, then shop with other brands. No big deal.
  • Options

Aslan said:

Aslan said:

Apologies, you are correct:

"You can be paid 70% of your job’s usual going rate if one of the following applies:

you’re under 26 on the date you apply
    you’re currently in the UK on a Student visa studying at bachelor’s degree level or above - or you have been in the last 2 years, and a Student or visit visa was your most recent visa
    you’re currently in the UK on a Graduate Entrepreneur visa
    you’ll be working towards a recognised qualification in a UK regulated profession
    you’ll be working towards full registration or chartered status in the job you’re being sponsored for"
    Yeah doesn't make any sense. You can be a 21 year old with next to no experience coming in as a fitness instructor on 11k a year and use that as your route in. Seems like a big hole in the immigration system with no real advantage.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    New thread.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    @Pulpstar Alito is doing a speech thing at Notre Dame (which he forbid from being live streamed). A bunch of journalists are doing live tweets of the event and lets just say i don't think it will improve your opinion of him
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,510

Got to say this Chinese F**king Vegan Virus* is pretty shit. I am bloody glad I got double jabbed because even with that it is hard going so far. Not exactly 'hit by bus' but at least 'chased by a lunatic on a unicycle'. My wife, thankfully, is unaffected even though we both tested positive yesterday.

*Chinese F**king Vegan Virus is black humour from my daughter. She had Covid back in July and unfortunately is one of the increasingly large number of people who now have Parosmia - her smell and taste have been damaged so that most things she eats, particularly meat, taste very strongly of rotted meat. She has had to adopt an effective vegetarian diet just to get enough calories and is extremely pissed off about it. We are hoping it passes but no one seems to know any cure as yet.

Hope you recover soon, Richard.
    It’s just possible there might be some kind of solution to the anosmia by early next year:
    https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/959757

If it works, it won’t be hard to get .
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,510

Nigelb said:

What are the terrorism risks?
    Less than those from hostile powers, probably.
    And presumably there would be contingency plans to repair breaks, deliberate or otherwise. Much easier in shallower waters.
This discussion has been closed.