Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Now Smarkets has a market on a LOCAL council by-election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Interesting comments btl on a Guardian piece regarding private schools:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/sep/30/pandemic-private-schools-pupils#comment-152221629

Ending charitable status for private schools will just reduce the number of bursaries they can provide and make them even more exclusive to the rich
    That just proves that their core business isn't charitable.
    The advancement of education is a charitable purpose under the Charities Act and the bursaries they provide through that charitable status provides that education to members of the public who could not otherwise afford their fees.

If their charitable status is ended then private schools will just become educational and sporting country clubs for the children of the rich
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,929
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    HTF can an ambulance driver be legal for an HGV tanker
    Because ambulences are big and heavy and require the same license as a HGV? It doesn't say anything about tankers.
    I have yet to see a fuel tanker the size of an ambulance. Also an ambulance is not even the size of a Luton if that , it is in no way comparable to a fuel tanker and to boot you need special licence to handle fuel into the bargain. Sounds like any white van man can start driving ambulances.
    Again, no mention of fuel tankers. This is just about HGVs, for which ambulance drivers have the necessary license to drive.
    Nope. Ambulances require C/C1. Artics are CE.

(Unless this site is lying to me: https://drivertrainingcentre.co.uk/ambulance-driver-training/ )
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Sorry to go off topic but remember the police tried to fit up a serving cabinet minister.

As a couple of cabinet ministers at the time said 'If they can try and fit us up what chance does a black kid in Brixton have?'

Police need taking down a peg or five, starting with Cressida Dick.

Also fire every cop who cannot pass a DBS. If you cannot be a PCC with a criminal record then you shouldn't be a copper with a criminal record.

Reading the accounts of the London riots it is quite clear that many of those rioting (not all, of course there were looters and not just of bottles of water) were doing so because it was an opportunity to put the police "on lock" or "under manners" as they term it.
    I found out that during the summer the teenage son of a friend (a QC no less) was detained by the rozzers for suspected damage of cars (he wasn't the guilty party) but the police did everything to try and pressurise him to accept a caution.

The lad rang his dad who turned up with pretty much his entire chambers, the police visibly wilted and the QC said ultimately the police are bullies and hope no one is looking or knows the rules.
    I've heard of many cases like that. It's one of the areas where racial prejudice and age are still significant factors - a black teenager under suspicion will on average be treated with far less courtesy and willingness to accept a statement than a middle-aged white man.

That said, I'm a fan of Denmark in general, but I do remember that I got called in after I'd failed to renew my residence permit once Denmark had joined the EU (I thought I was then automatically eligible, but not so). The officer said (politely) that they were considering prosecution - would I like to accept a fine, or would I prefer to take legal advice first?

We happened to know a Supreme Court judge, so I thought I'd ask him, and said I'd like to take advice and would let him know, thanks. He paused for a moment, and then said, "Oh well, let's forget it."

I wondered if he would have pocketed the fine or was just trying it on or was, on reflection, in generous mood. But whichever it was, it didn't strike me as an entirely satisfactory experience.
    I suspect one of the KPIs is that they both "detect" and "clear up" crime, and you can do both - and increase your % - by giving someone (anyone) a caution for anything.

It's in their interests, not yours.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,239

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/sep/30/pandemic-private-schools-pupils#comment-152221629

Ending charitable status for private schools will just reduce the number of bursaries they can provide and make them even more exclusive to the rich
    Th problem that was spotted before when this has been proposed is that a number of private schools do more (as a proportion of expenditure) charitable work* than many charities.

So equity and fairness arguments would either mean that a regulation targeting private schools would get binned, or a number of other charities would get the chop.

*bursaries, usage of facilities for the community etc etc.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    Because ambulences are big and heavy and require the same license as a HGV? It doesn't say anything about tankers.
    I have yet to see a fuel tanker the size of an ambulance. Also an ambulance is not even the size of a Luton if that , it is in no way comparable to a fuel tanker and to boot you need special licence to handle fuel into the bargain. Sounds like any white van man can start driving ambulances.
    Again, no mention of fuel tankers. This is just about HGVs, for which ambulance drivers have the necessary license to drive.
    Bollox , they have LGV C1 nowhere near HGV licences
    Indeed. But you can get dinky little 12 ton fuel tankers which you could drive with a C1 licence, so maybe they have a stack of those parked up somewhere?

Eg https://www.gdjones.co.uk/en/vehicles

Edit: Oh wait, those aren’t trailers, so you can’t use the combined weight thing to allow a 12 ton limit.

Maybe even /smaller/ tankers then? It all sounds a bit pointless doesn’t it?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Phil said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    Indeed. But you can get dinky little 12 ton fuel tankers which you could drive with a C1 licence, so maybe they have a stack of those parked up somewhere?

But the letter isn't about fuel tanker drivers, which will undoubtedly require additional licensing. It's just about HGVs in general.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

tlg86 said:

Electorally the issue is the majority support removing the tax breaks from private schools, but virtually none of those who support that will change their vote because of it. Whereas there are lots of middle class centrists who would switch against any party proposing it.

Sadly that means tactically Labour should simply avoid talking about it as much as possible.
    Actually 48% of voters support private schools keeping charitable status and their tax status if they partner with and help local state schools, with 67% of Conservative voters also backing them keeping charitable status on that basis, only 41% opposed.

Though 52% of Labour voters still back ending private schools charitable status even if they partner with local state schools

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/sx0xopiuqb/InternalResults_141126_private_schools_Website.pdf
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Petrol shortage: No improvement in fuel supplies
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58747281

I am just finishing a journey from Kent to Berkshire and back to the island, and things look as bad as at the weekend
    I've got no issue at all on my own fuel supply - it's people using the streets as queues on routes with no alternatives which is a bloody nightmare.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

I am just finishing a journey from Kent to Berkshire and back to the island, and things look as bad as at the weekend
    I've got no issue at all on my own fuel supply - it's people using the streets as queues on routes with no alternatives which is a bloody nightmare.
    And of course when people get trapped in a queue they don't want, by the time they reach the front they might as well top up having paid the price to do so unwillingly anyway.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

The advancement of education is a charitable purpose under the Charities Act and the bursaries they provide through that charitable status provides that education to members of the public who could not otherwise afford their fees.

If their charitable status is ended then private schools will just become educational and sporting country clubs for the children of the rich
    That is what they are already, with a thin veneer of do-goodery tacked on the side to deflect criticism.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Phil said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

But the letter isn't about fuel tanker drivers, which will undoubtedly require additional licensing. It's just about HGVs in general.
    But as has been eloquently pointed out by Malcolm G, ambulance drivers can’t drive any kind of HGV. They’re qualified for light goods vehicles only.

Maybe the government is hoping to send out fleets of ambulance drivers in dinky trucks, but I don’t think this is going to do much to relieve our HGV driver shortage & we’re short on ambulances as it is aren’t we?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    Is it possible that some ambulance drivers might have an HGV licence as well? There are after all 1 million+ HGV licence holders in the UK
  • Options

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Th problem that was spotted before when this has been proposed is that a number of private schools do more (as a proportion of expenditure) charitable work* than many charities.

So equity and fairness arguments would either mean that a regulation targeting private schools would get binned, or a number of other charities would get the chop.

I have no problem with a generalised clean up of charitable status to make sure that tax breaks are only given to organisations that deserve them. I'm sure that private schools are only one example of this kind of scam.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398
    Nigelb said:

Not exactly stellar, but interesting nonetheless.

Harris's poll numbers rise as Biden's fall
    https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/574604-harriss-poll-numbers-rise-as-bidens-fall

Harris and Biden combined under 60% for the Dem nomination. Must be unusual, surely, for the pres and VP to be so low? Even the pres alone would generally be higher, I'd have thought? (I don't normally follow US political betting, so maybe I'm talking nonsense.)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Phil said:

Phil said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    Are there small tankers they can legally drive? You need a C1 endorsement on your licence to drive an ambulance I believe - gets you up to 7.5 tonnes. (Ambulances are heavy vehicles!)
    Checking my own licence - apparantly I can drive anything with a trailer where the total vehicle weight doesn’t exceed 8250kg. That’s a restricted C1E vehicle category.

Really not sure I’d be happy driving an articulated vehicle of that weight, but apparently I’m qualified to do so! (IIRC they took away that default sometime back in the late 90s early 00s?)
    Absolute madness that being an ambulance driver only pays 9p above minimum wage if that site is to be believed. There's probably a recruitment crisis brewing under the surface - I wonder how many ambulance drivers are over 42 with the C1 category grandfathered onto their license...
  • Options
    Phil said:

RobD said:

Phil said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

But as has been eloquently pointed out by Malcolm G, ambulance drivers can’t drive any kind of HGV. They’re qualified for light goods vehicles only.

Maybe the government is hoping to send out fleets of ambulance drivers in dinky trucks, but I don’t think this is going to do much to relieve our HGV driver shortage & we’re short on ambulances as it is aren’t we?
    Oh wait, this is the Sun making controversy out of nothing again isn’t it?

quote: “Letters have been sent out to a million people including ambulance drivers”.

i.e. everyone with an HGV licence has received this letter.

Points to the government for at least trying something sensible I guess. This falls under the “can’t hurt, might help, is cheap so we may as well try it” column.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

moonshine said:

The only convincing argument I can think of not to hang this bent copper is because it’s quite likely he is responsible for other missing persons. And they’re not gonna get justice if he heads into the eternal abyss now.

omg, it never occured to me that there could be others.
    It seems highly unlikely to be a first offence at his age, though perhaps the previous ones were less extreme.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

I have no problem with a generalised clean up of charitable status to make sure that tax breaks are only given to organisations that deserve them. I'm sure that private schools are only one example of this kind of scam.
    Yeah, but that's not what's driving this from Labour. For the most part they are very pro-charities.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,896
    edited September 2021
    Nigelb said:

They must be lying. Philip_Thompson assured us that it'd all be over in 2-3 days.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    Is it possible that some ambulance drivers might have an HGV licence as well? There are after all 1 million+ HGV licence holders in the UK
    ...and all of them will get a letter from Government pleading with them to return to work, even the retired and deceased ones.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Ed Miliband now the most popular member of the Shadow Cabinet, just ahead of Starmer.

Every Shadow Cabinet member has a net unfavourable rating though with Nandy, Green and Stevens least unpopular

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1443564087460474882?s=20
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    Including the Queen, I believe, from her time working during the War.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

They must be lying. Philip_Thompson assured us that it'd all be over in 2-3 days.
    Both appear to be right. Things have improved overall. Things have not improved with some independents especially BP ones.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    isam said:

The new markets in the thread header have to be ripe for insider info don't they?

If only!

i think only an exchange would offer markets on something as small as this. happy for punters to risk their money but not any of their own.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Yeah, but that's not what's driving this from Labour. For the most part they are very pro-charities.
    What happened perviously (under Brown at least, IIRC)

- propose removing charitable status
    - Lawyers point out that they would have to do it in a "equitable" fashion to avoid challenge.
    - Lawyer point out that this would catch a whole bunch of charities, a number of which were.... friendly to the Labour party
    - Charities go "WUT!?"

What proportion of a organisations turnover needs to go to actual charitable activities before you regard it as a charity?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    Fishing said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    Including the Queen, I believe, from her time working during the War.
    I suspect that she hasn't kept it up to date.

I know a few posho County Set with HGV licenses for equestrian purposes.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Both appear to be right. Things have improved overall. Things have not improved with some independents especially BP ones.
    There's a critical mass tipping point where queues stop being long enough to back up back on to streets, but until we hit that it's going to look and feel much worse than it is as every driver regardless of fuel need is going to get stuck in the queues.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

"improved overall" != "all over"
  • Options

Nigelb said:

It was all over for me when I filled up at 10am last Friday. :smirk:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Electorally the issue is the majority support removing the tax breaks from private schools, but virtually none of those who support that will change their vote because of it. Whereas there are lots of middle class centrists who would switch against any party proposing it.

Sadly that means tactically Labour should simply avoid talking about it as much as possible.
    Actually 48% of voters support private schools keeping charitable status and their tax status if they partner with and help local state schools, with 67% of Conservative voters also backing them keeping charitable status on that basis, only 41% opposed.

Though 52% of Labour voters still back ending private schools charitable status even if they partner with local state schools

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/sx0xopiuqb/InternalResults_141126_private_schools_Website.pdf
    52/48?

surely not..

:)
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sure it is. There's always been some stations at some times without fuel which is why this mass hysteria over a few not having it was so utterly irresponsible.

Largely stations are back to normal and anyone who wants fuel can get it.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    The excellent David Allen Green nails the law relating to today's sentencing exercise, and shows how carefully, and rightly, the judge went about his grim task, exactly:

https://davidallengreen.com/2021/09/why-the-whole-life-sentence-for-the-murderer-of-sarah-everard-is-correct/
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sure it is. There's always been some stations at some times without fuel which is why this mass hysteria over a few not having it was so utterly irresponsible.

According the the PRA, over a quarter of their members are still without fuel. That is not a normal situation, and it's weird of you to make out that it is. Every other country in the world is pointing and laughing at us.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

What happened perviously (under Brown at least, IIRC)

- propose removing charitable status
    - Lawyers point out that they would have to do it in a "equitable" fashion to avoid challenge.
    - Lawyer point out that this would catch a whole bunch of charities, a number of which were.... friendly to the Labour party
    - Charities go "WUT!?"

What proportion of a organisations turnover needs to go to actual charitable activities before you regard it as a charity?
    The Labour party are increasingly reliant on winning seats very unlike Hartlepool where Labour support in recent times runs alongside a quiet and understated use of private schools for one's own children, even though they would be very unsuitable for the wrong sort. Try Putney, Cambridge and Hampstead.

• Options

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

52/48?

surely not..

No 48/41, 52% was only for Labour voters
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592

Nigelb said:

"There's always been some stations at some times without fuel".

Really??
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

52/48?

surely not..

No 48/41, 52% was only for Labour voters
    (joke)
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Fuel might be OK near you (Nr Warrington iirc) but how do you have any idea what it's like elsewhere ?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I have just returned from town and neither the two local garages or Asda had queues, and as the Asda driver on our delivery said this morning that there was only one car filing up as he left on our delivery

It is clear that for parts of the country it is over but others are still experiencing problems
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Agreed. Very patchy. My wife has just returned from the Hairdressers (open wallet surgery there), and tells me that Tesco petrol station in West Wales was very quiet, with fuel. Perhaps we won't need the Army after all.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ed Miliband now the most popular member of the Shadow Cabinet, just ahead of Starmer.

Every Shadow Cabinet member has a net unfavourable rating though with Nandy, Green and Stevens least unpopular

At 30% with Starmer at 29% is not much to be pleased about
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

The excellent David Allen Green nails the law relating to today's sentencing exercise, and shows how carefully, and rightly, the judge went about his grim task, exactly:

https://davidallengreen.com/2021/09/why-the-whole-life-sentence-for-the-murderer-of-sarah-everard-is-correct/

Anything less than the absolute maximum would have seriously undermined the police.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

That's really interesting. I was thinking it would have been a fairly easy decision for the judge. Not so. This bit is interesting:

Had the facts been that Everard had got into that car for any other reason than by use of police powers, the ordeal would have been just as terrifying, but it would not have ended with a whole-life sentence for the murderer.

Or had the murderer only been pretending to be police officer, and so was not actually using police powers, it may also not have ended with a whole-life sentence for the murderer.

Victims of other murderers will suffer as much if not worse than murderers caught by the whole-life categories, but their murders will get shorter sentences.

Personally, I'm not quite as outraged at the Met for this as others on here are precisely because anyone could have done what he did. The issue with the police is that it looks like they turned a blind eye to his prior behaviour.

Quite frankly, anyone who does this sort of thing should be locked up for life.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Really??
    I have to agree there. I quite often encountered locked off some pumps in some stations in the past. When I asked inside the till assistant said it was a common way of controlling demand, prolonging supply for a few more days until a delivery. And that was ina normal period pre-covid/pingdemic/brexite.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

According the the PRA, over a quarter of their members are still without fuel. That is not a normal situation, and it's weird of you to make out that it is. Every other country in the world is pointing and laughing at us.
    Are you sure you are not over egging it, every country in the world !!!
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379
    edited September 2021

Nigelb said:

oven ready souffle, too many eggs?

:smiley:
  • Options

isam said:

The new markets in the thread header have to be ripe for insider info don't they?

If only!

i think only an exchange would offer markets on something as small as this. happy for punters to risk their money but not any of their own.
    Exchanges do sometimes seed their own markets, and also indulge in proprietary trading. It is not just customer vs customer.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,377

Quite the thread here.

I had a trial yesterday where a 17 year old black girl (who had committed NO crime and has no criminal record) was grabbed and wrestled to the floor and handcuffed by two officers for “talking back” when she (correctly) said to them “you can’t do this” and asked them to step back

The officers were caught on CCTV stepping up to her right in her face (August last year - height of the pandemic) with no masks on and loudly telling her off (for something that isn’t a crime). After she backed off the third time whilst repeatedly saying “back off” they pounced....
    ....If it’s any consolation our civil team are now going to take action against the police and I suspect one or both of them won’t be officers for much longer but hey - we represented the De Menezes family and no fucker lost their job when they killed a lad.

https://twitter.com/JudgeDewie/status/1443506723881422848

Thread has been deleted.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Petrol is fine in South Yorkshire where I've been for a few days. Completely normal. Also noticeable is a big difference in mask wearing. They've pretty much ditched them up here.
    Is mask use still a thing elsewhere ? Covid's over here for the most part. It's still at the vets, mind.
    Certainly not in London, other than (around 50% use) on public transport. I wondered whether masklessness was a London thing, but it appears to be nationwide. Does anyone bother with them now, unless they are mandatory both de facto and de jure?
  • Options
    PB brains trust query:
    We're currently getting quotes for building work, substantial extension, probably be towards £100k, so we want it done right. Just had someone round to quote who is doing work down the road. A bit of Googling has revealed the company in question was incorporated in 2020 and the person we spoke to (owner) had a previous building company which underwent creditors voluntary liquidation in 2020 at around the same time. We'll obviously ask about this if we consider going further, but is it - on the face of it - sketchy? Or might there be quite innocuous explanations?

(We just got this guy in as an 'extra' quote really - already had builder round who did a big extension for sister-in-law and have a couple more reccommended by architect, but they're proving hard to pin down. We want at least a few quotes to compare, but would most likely go for the guy we know most about unless there are good reasons to choose someone else)
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    edited September 2021

Nigelb said:

Putting words in people’s mouths like that is a bit creepy, you have to be sure it was put like that.

Thommo does post so much though, you’ll never find it.

I pray he’s a bot otherwise his wife’s a PB widow 😔
  • Options

Nigelb said:

And according to the PRA three quarters of their members have fuel.

I couldn't care less what other countries are doing.

If some parts of the country people are still hoarding fuel they need to grow up and stop doing that.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Quite the thread here.

I had a trial yesterday where a 17 year old black girl (who had committed NO crime and has no criminal record) was grabbed and wrestled to the floor and handcuffed by two officers for “talking back” when she (correctly) said to them “you can’t do this” and asked them to step back

The officers were caught on CCTV stepping up to her right in her face (August last year - height of the pandemic) with no masks on and loudly telling her off (for something that isn’t a crime). After she backed off the third time whilst repeatedly saying “back off” they pounced....
    ....If it’s any consolation our civil team are now going to take action against the police and I suspect one or both of them won’t be officers for much longer but hey - we represented the De Menezes family and no fucker lost their job when they killed a lad.

Thread has been deleted.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE

I know this is an American Video and quite long, but he just about sums up how we should deal with our police, sadly.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Really??
    I have to agree there. I quite often encountered locked off some pumps in some stations in the past. When I asked inside the till assistant said it was a common way of controlling demand, prolonging supply for a few more days until a delivery. And that was ina normal period pre-covid/pingdemic/brexite.
    Some pumps, yes. Entire stations without fuel weren't so common, let alone a signifigant fraction of the nation's stations.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,896
    edited September 2021

Nigelb said:

True, some have a little more consideration. They are merely smirking behind their hands.

Honestly, if this were happening in, say, France, don't you think PT would be having a field day? Well, I'm pretty sure that PT's French counterpart is laughing his stripy socks off at the moment.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,466
    edited September 2021
    I would wear a mask on a crowded train or tube.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

PB brains trust query:
    We're currently getting quotes for building work, substantial extension, probably be towards £100k, so we want it done right. Just had someone round to quote who is doing work down the road. A bit of Googling has revealed the company in question was incorporated in 2020 and the person we spoke to (owner) had a previous building company which underwent creditors voluntary liquidation in 2020 at around the same time. We'll obviously ask about this if we consider going further, but is it - on the face of it - sketchy? Or might there be quite innocuous explanations?

(We just got this guy in as an 'extra' quote really - already had builder round who did a big extension for sister-in-law and have a couple more reccommended by architect, but they're proving hard to pin down. We want at least a few quotes to compare, but would most likely go for the guy we know most about unless there are good reasons to choose someone else)

Hmmmmm

Not especially good sounding - how long was the previous company running for?

Yes, constructive bankruptcies are a standard operating procedure for a certain type.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

True, some have a little more consideration. They are merely smirking behind their hands.
    You don't think other countries have their own issues they ought to be concerned about rather than worrying about us? Yours seems rather an egocentric viewpoint.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Aslan said:

Sorry to go off topic but remember the police tried to fit up a serving cabinet minister.

As a couple of cabinet ministers at the time said 'If they can try and fit us up what chance does a black kid in Brixton have?'

Police need taking down a peg or five, starting with Cressida Dick.

Also fire every cop who cannot pass a DBS. If you cannot be a PCC with a criminal record then you shouldn't be a copper with a criminal record.

Police officers aren't routinely DBS checked?

Wha'daff?
    I remember a while ago a decision by Sadiq Khan to not make criminal conviction a bar to becoming a Met officer as it harmed "diversity".
    You could imagine really minor crimes done as a kid being ignored.
    Is there a time limit on convictions in DBS checks ?

My ex colleague's £100k+ fraud seems to have completely disappeared from Google, and perhaps any DBS checks..
    Nope.

There's two types of DBS checks, both will show past convictions and cautions, the enhanced one will show any cases where convictions didn't happen.
    For teacher training there is no time limit. Everything remains. Even under 18, so I am told.
    Indeed. Always found it ironic when the rozzers came round to speak at my kid's school.
    Quite a few of them wouldn’t have been allowed in the building but for their uniform.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,466

Quite the thread here.

The officers were caught on CCTV stepping up to her right in her face (August last year - height of the pandemic) with no masks on and loudly telling her off (for something that isn’t a crime). After she backed off the third time whilst repeatedly saying “back off” they pounced.

This happened in broad daylight in Birmingham New Street station and everyone assumed the officers were in the right and a member of the public even came over to help the two officers who were sitting on top of her to restrain her.

She screamed out in pain and asked 21 times either “Why are you doing this to me?” or “What have I done?” and they didn’t reply to tell her why they were doing it or what she was said to have done.

Eventually one of them says she’s under arrest for assaulting them.

They lied throughout their evidence and said she had moved towards them aggressively and tried to hit one of them.

Two separate angles on the video show she does no such thing and is continuously backing off from them and looks scared.

Thankfully the case against her was thrown out, but quite frankly it’s theofficers who should’ve been prosecuted for assault. Had I not been able to get CCTV camera footage from the station it would’ve been her word against theirs and she would no doubt have been convicted.....

...The officers continued to assert throughout the trial that their actions were justified.

This is the problem.

This is the culture we have to deal with.

THIS IS WHY I GET SICK OF PEOPLE ASKING ME HOW I CAN “DEFEND CRIMINALS”.

P.S. A good illustration of the level of arrogance of one of the officers and their feeling that they are above the law: the Judge had to warn the officer about their conduct IN COURT and it continued so the Judge THREATENED TO LOCK THE OFFICER UP FOR CONTEMPT OF COURT.

The prosecutor, the clerk, the Judge, me - and several of my colleagues I spoke to - all of us with over 20 years experience in criminal trials - have NEVER seen an officer behave so badly that they were threatened with contempt.

Yet they are on patrol in New Street again today

If it’s any consolation our civil team are now going to take action against the police and I suspect one or both of them won’t be officers for much longer but hey - we represented the De Menezes family and no fucker lost their job when they killed a lad.

To think the police used to be widely respected in this country, not that long ago.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Petrol is fine in South Yorkshire where I've been for a few days. Completely normal. Also noticeable is a big difference in mask wearing. They've pretty much ditched them up here.
    Is mask use still a thing elsewhere ? Covid's over here for the most part. It's still at the vets, mind.
    Certainly not in London, other than (around 50% use) on public transport. I wondered whether masklessness was a London thing, but it appears to be nationwide. Does anyone bother with them now, unless they are mandatory both de facto and de jure?
    I don't bother. Haven't since the law went.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

You don't think other countries have their own issues they ought to be concerned about rather than worrying about us? Yours seems rather an egocentric viewpoint.
    They're not worrying about us; they're laughing at us. We provide a little light relief from their own problems. You can't tell me you wouldn't be doing the same if it were French drivers queuing for petrol.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379
    edited September 2021

Nigelb said:

Honestly, if this were happening in, say, France, don't you think PT would be having a field day? Well, I'm pretty sure that PT's French counterpart is laughing his stripy socks off at the moment.
    ...and black beret and onion strings to boot....

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2021

Nigelb said:

They're not worrying about us; they're laughing at us. We provide a little light relief from their own problems. You can't tell me you wouldn't be doing the same if it were French drivers queuing for petrol.
    I absolutely can say that.

The French have issues and protests and violence on a weekly violence with the Gilets Jaunes etc

I don't mention them at all, its none of my business and I don't especially care. Let them sort their own issues out and we can sort our own out.

You seem rather obsessed though. Not me.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

I only wear one when a train is really busy. As I rarely travel at peak time nowadays, that's rare and there's usually only a few people in the carriage, half of which aren't wearing a mask anyway.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

From a former policewoman - on the WATO today. Women police officers won't speak up because the men "close ranks".

https://twitter.com/kateemccann/status/1443552130007248897?s=21

Many of your posts on this concern the failings within the police force for what must have clearly been a bad apple the ranks were closed around? But is there not a problem in wider society outside the police, making this horrendous crime by man on woman far from a one of?

So what is our way forward cyclefree? You likely have every single man in the country other than Wayne Couzens upset and angry toward this most warped, most selfish and brutal man. What effective action can now be taken, or education and guidance taken on board?

If he is just a rotten apple in a barrel, a bad egg, do we regard it as important still for boys to be allowed to be boys, and girls should welcome what is hardcoded into their DNA too? As per the current and traditional teaching, To become a man a boy needs to know how to have a presence, how to have a power - and their courage must never be demeaned by anybody?
  • Options

Selebian said:

PB brains trust query:

Hmmmmm

Yes, constructive bankruptcies are a standard operating procedure for a certain type.
    Previous co was running ~5 years. Will have a good look through the filings...
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

I only wear one when a train is really busy. As I rarely travel at peak time nowadays, that's rare and there's usually only a few people in the carriage, half of which aren't wearing a mask anyway.
    I wear mine all the time. I’ll probably wear it forever now, how exactly to make the decision between safe and not safe enough?

I even wear it in bed sometimes, just to be extra sure.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Yes but at least he'd say it only once...
    :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-_5JJmNB6E

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

A pleasant surprise to see Labour keep that policy - ending private schools tax breaks. I thought it might be ditched for fear of 'class war' or 'politics of envy' optics.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

PB brains trust query:

Hmmmmm

Previous co was running ~5 years. Will have a good look through the filings...
    Could be a clearing up of financial problems. The other thing to check for is legal trouble. The higher you go in the building trade, the more common the lawsuits.

At the multi-million level, the builders assume that they will be sued and budget accordingly...
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    gealbhan said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

I wear mine all the time. I’ll probably wear it forever now, how exactly to make the decision between safe and not safe enough?

....hmmm but are the lederhosen and harness really necessary..? :smiley:
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    Andy_JS said:

But is that likely to happen, do you think?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Have people in the UK abandoned public transport? Presumably the wfh trend is persisting.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

HYUFD said:

At 30% with Starmer at 29% is not much to be pleased about
    Did they only ask Labour conference attendees?
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Covid cases down very slightly compared to last week for the UK. Only up slightly for England. Early signs that Covid case increases may be slowing.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

To be honest I think France and other countries have mountains of problems of their own, but it really does not bother me if they want to obsess about the UK
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I have just returned from town and neither the two local garages or Asda had queues, and as the Asda driver on our delivery said this morning that there was only one car filing up as he left on our delivery

It is clear that for parts of the country it is over but others are still experiencing problems
    This thing started because a small area of (I think) Kent had some delivery issues that led to 20 BP garages running out. Some inflammatory reporting and BINGO! soon you have people queuing "because other people are queuing...."
  • Options
    felix said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Have people in the UK abandoned public transport? Presumably the wfh trend is persisting.
    Tube in London is full(ish) at commute time - down on what it used to be, but still full. Buses are often full, though the services seem to have been reduced a bit.
  • Options
    Am I alone in looking at Cressida Dick and thinking "Paul Whitehouse creation...."?
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Covid cases down very slightly compared to last week for the UK. Only up slightly for England. Early signs that Covid case increases may be slowing.

Running the numbers now - but I will bet that it is down to the children cases peaking.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Quite the thread here.

The officers were caught on CCTV stepping up to her right in her face (August last year - height of the pandemic) with no masks on and loudly telling her off (for something that isn’t a crime). After she backed off the third time whilst repeatedly saying “back off” they pounced.

This happened in broad daylight in Birmingham New Street station and everyone assumed the officers were in the right and a member of the public even came over to help the two officers who were sitting on top of her to restrain her.

She screamed out in pain and asked 21 times either “Why are you doing this to me?” or “What have I done?” and they didn’t reply to tell her why they were doing it or what she was said to have done.

They lied throughout their evidence and said she had moved towards them aggressively and tried to hit one of them.

Two separate angles on the video show she does no such thing and is continuously backing off from them and looks scared.

Thankfully the case against her was thrown out, but quite frankly it’s theofficers who should’ve been prosecuted for assault. Had I not been able to get CCTV camera footage from the station it would’ve been her word against theirs and she would no doubt have been convicted.....

...The officers continued to assert throughout the trial that their actions were justified.

This is the problem.

P.S. A good illustration of the level of arrogance of one of the officers and their feeling that they are above the law: the Judge had to warn the officer about their conduct IN COURT and it continued so the Judge THREATENED TO LOCK THE OFFICER UP FOR CONTEMPT OF COURT.

The prosecutor, the clerk, the Judge, me - and several of my colleagues I spoke to - all of us with over 20 years experience in criminal trials - have NEVER seen an officer behave so badly that they were threatened with contempt.

If it’s any consolation our civil team are now going to take action against the police and I suspect one or both of them won’t be officers for much longer but hey - we represented the De Menezes family and no fucker lost their job when they killed a lad.

That is the key. The bad cops have to lose their jobs and be open to both civil and criminal prosecution. And their bosses, if they serially fail to attend to such failures, should lose their jobs and, depending on their own level of negligence, be open to similar prosecution.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,377
    edited September 2021
    Sequencing company Oxford Nanopore floated on the London stockmarket today.
    Value a bit over £5bn.

They've done rather better out of the pandemic than AZN.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,642
    edited September 2021
    Long since FPT, but I feel it deserves stating for the record.
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Good to see the righties here little bit frit again.

Yes. Obviously worried.

Dredging up the brexit referendum is clutching at straws really, considering the lies, corruption and gaslighting on Johnson's part (telegraph articles etc) showed how undemocratic it was. If it wasn't for the fact that the courts declared it "advisory only" there was a large chance it would have been overturned anyway. At best it was no better than a YouGov opinion poll with a bigger sample.

I mean, my God. The state of this comment
    I cannot say I agree with daveyboy (and I don't know why 'advisory only' was in quotes as while true in a legal sense that doesn't mean a referendum has no weight behind it), but the idea that a sovereign parliament seeking not to follow through on the Brexit vote, and ultimately would face the consequences of that at any election as indeed happened, as being analagous to instigating an armed mob to storm a legislature, I think takes an even wilder imagination.
    Trump tried to get an election - a nationwide vote - overturned because it was allegedly "rigged". That is exactly what Remoaners tried to do to Brexit, only in more polite and British ways

As I say, consider the Scottish analogy, and imagine if some government - in Holyrood or Westminster - had tried to overturn a YES vote, and get it re-run with "more information", while ignoring the first vote for independence. Here the argument ends
    He engaged in spurious legal challenges and then instigated a mob based on fantasies, entreating those in Congress such as Pence to ignore their legal duty. And given his wishes to control the election outcomes through those who could certify them, people would not have gotten another chance had he succeeded.

However wrong one may think the attempt to not enact the Brexit outcome was, Parliament definitely had the legal right to not do it because while calling the referendum vote an opinion poll is irresponsibly belittling and unhelpful, it isn't the case that they were acting against some law or constitution in their actions. They should have gone with a compromise Brexit, but instead chanced their arm - they were legally able to, where Trump was not legally able to given what he was seeking, and the big difference is that if they had succeeded, an election would have come, and they would have been accountable for their decision. Indeed, the voters punished them for not getting Brexit done.

I am sure if there is a Yes vote for Sindy there will precisely be those arguments played out again.

Granted there were also many spurious Brexit legal challenges.

But bottom line while the remainer clique in parliament may morally outrage, it was akin to an insurrection, and in the end that is what Trump's actions amounted to. If people want to say they are in the same category, fine, whatever, but they are not the same. SImply calling it a nationwide vote doesn't make it the same as a presidential vote, they were not the same type of thing.

I am prone to focus a bit much on process, but the different types of vote, law and powers of those involved in parliamentary sovereignty, do make a difference on it.

They could do what they did - the question was whether they should have, politically and morally. He neither could nor should.
    Christ, what a load of pointless waffle. I'm right, but you find it uncomfortable
    Pointless waffle, perhaps, but I don't find 'it' uncomfortable - I thought it was bollocks but was trying to be polite about it.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    gealbhan said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

"how exactly to make the decision between safe and not safe enough"

Whether you are vaccinated or not? Vaccines = silver bullet remember.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Quite the thread here.

Thread has been deleted.
    No, his tweets are protected.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Quite the thread here.

This is the problem.

To think the police used to be widely respected in this country, not that long ago.
    And then we had cctv and mobile phone cameras....
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

I don't think there's any doubt that it's slowing, the only doubts are whether it will go negative and persist negative...
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Here in the Midlands petrol still massive issue - "no fuel" signs still present.

Masks only really encountered in any number in health care settings.

In health care settings plus the tools on the Labour benches in the Commons. Turns my stomach, but I'd be interested in your *honest* opinion of that @kinabalu - you were always with me on the Freedom Day thing after all.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Andy_JS said:

Quite the thread here.

This is the problem.

And then we had cctv and mobile phone cameras....
    Since the advent of ubiquitous video camera ownership we've had no greater evidence of Big Foot or Nessie but amazingly a massive increase in the evidence of Police Brutality and Illegality.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Quite the thread here.

This is the problem.

That is the key. The bad cops have to lose their jobs and be open to both civil and criminal prosecution. And their bosses, if they serially fail to attend to such failures, should lose their jobs and, depending on their own level of negligence, be open to similar prosecution.
    A part of the problem runs thus -

The cops on the ground are convinced that if something goes wrong, their superiors will stitch them up. There is no trust in the Senior Management Team.

In turn there is a widespread belief that there is no way that a senior officer would end up carrying the can - that they would pass the buck to junior officers.

In the case of De Mendes, the odd bit is that the police on the ground, who actually shot him were blameless. They were carrying out orders which they had reason to believe were lawful and necessary. It was the fuck up with the surveillance and the control of the operation which was the problem.

Which comes back to the doctrine of command responsibility. Where someone in authority can be guilty, but the subordinates who carried out what they thought were lawful orders are not.

The problem is that the police have been convinced that either they all hang together or they all hang separately. Hence the omertà...

How to deal with that?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Quite the thread here.

This is the problem.

PB is in some ways a bit more anti-police than the public perhaps. Certainly occasionally someone will pop up to suggest the group think is a bit too harsh given the job that the police are there to do. I think politically there's still too much resistance to the idea of anything but performative condemnation, with the idea of action then being seen as going 'too far' for our brave boys in blue.

But the example that TSE quotes is utterly unsurprising. As many good officers (or ex-officers) I know, we all know there are ones who act that way, I knew another ex-one who was upfront about thinking that kind of behaviour in response to people not doing what the police say immediately was acceptable.

They shouldn't face less accountability because of the nature of their job, they should face more.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Increases have been slowing for a week. This is an early sign that they are about to end/reverse.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Here in the Midlands petrol still massive issue - "no fuel" signs still present.

In health care settings plus the tools on the Labour benches in the Commons. Turns my stomach, but I'd be interested in your *honest* opinion of that @kinabalu - you were always with me on the Freedom Day thing after all.

The Labour MPs wearing masks in the Commons is the epitome of Covid theatre: nobody wears them IRL, including the Labour MPs themselves, who have just spent the last week crushed next to each other in the conference halls, pubs and nightclubs of Brighton, sans masks.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    https://www.newsweek.com/trump-support-drops-20-points-ron-desantis-surges-tie-new-2024-poll-1634082

If DeSantis can kill just a few thousand more of his citizens I think he will take the lead.

As a sanity check though note the source of the poll.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

algarkirk said:

That's really interesting. I was thinking it would have been a fairly easy decision for the judge. Not so. This bit is interesting:

Had the facts been that Everard had got into that car for any other reason than by use of police powers, the ordeal would have been just as terrifying, but it would not have ended with a whole-life sentence for the murderer.

Or had the murderer only been pretending to be police officer, and so was not actually using police powers, it may also not have ended with a whole-life sentence for the murderer.

Victims of other murderers will suffer as much if not worse than murderers caught by the whole-life categories, but their murders will get shorter sentences.

Personally, I'm not quite as outraged at the Met for this as others on here are precisely because anyone could have done what he did. The issue with the police is that it looks like they turned a blind eye to his prior behaviour.

Quite frankly, anyone who does this sort of thing should be locked up for life.
    Of course. There are 2 public policy reasons why sentences have to differentiate in cases where the obvious reaction is rightly: Life should mean life.

Firstly you have to deter the very worst of offending by keeping the absolute max to a smaller group of offenders.

Second, people in the prison system who cannot under any circumstances receive a harsher punishment than they already have, have nothing to lose and are a massive danger to everyone working in the system. They need to be kept to a minimum. It is one of the costs of abolishing the death penalty.

• Options

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

The Labour MPs wearing masks in the Commons is the epitome of Covid theatre: nobody wears them IRL, including the Labour MPs themselves, who have just spent the last week crushed next to each other in the conference halls, pubs and nightclubs of Brighton, sans masks.
    A Trudeauesque performance.
  • Options
    I agree with Mike that local election betting would be great. For light bets at least - so many unknowns even when sites make an effort, that you can get some great shocks
This discussion has been closed.