Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Reshuffle betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:
    "Michelle" Barnier?
    He's targeting the transitioning segment of the French electorate.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Ministers are having second thoughts on plans to introduce mandatory Covid passports for nightclubs and other “high-risk” venues after Tory MPs tore into the proposals in the Commons.

Serious doubts have emerged over the policy, with officials now looking at whether case rates will require such measures.

A Whitehall source said “no decisions have been made yet” on the proposals, despite the Government insisting that the passes will be mandatory from the end of the month.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/vaccine-passport-policy-ditched-fierce-tory-backlash-1190148

Perhaps the shambles north of the border - "vote for it today, details to follow, (like "what a nightclub is")"......will help them think again....

If the vaccinated can still spread COVID, what's the point of "vaccine passports"?

Bit in Bold: That's like saying "if driving at 20 can still cause fatal accidents, what's the point of "speed limits?"".

The risk is much lower post vaccination. I oppose vaccine passports on principle, but lets not pretend they're not practical or would not work in reducing risk.

The question that needs answering is if that risk is worth sacrificing for. To me, no.
    In the context of over 80% double jabbed and another 9% single jabbed, at what point do you conclude "it wouldn't be worth the effort"?
    If they're introduced then once we reach 100% or get through the winter flu season without requiring another lockdown.

My order of preference is:

Full liberty for everyone > Full liberty for vaccinated, lockdown antivaxxers > lockdown everyone
    So you will give the police the right to demand proof of vaccination. Interesting
    No I would not. As I said I would have full liberty for everyone.

However if there are to be lockdown restrictions they 100% should be applied to the unvaccinated first before applying to everyone. I'd prefer zero restrictions, but the unvaccinated can own the consequences of their decisions if restrictions are applied.
    How do you differentiate between vaccinated and unvaccinated?
    Yellow stars?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,997
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

felix said:

Finn still not having it....

The MHRA said AstraZeneca and Pfizer were 'safe and effective' as third doses

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9973503/Britains-watchdog-approves-AstraZeneca-Pfizers-jabs-used-doses.html

Spain has said only the severely immuno suppressed will be given 3rd jabs at this stage. Still too little evidence of the need for the general population to given boosters.
    As a politician, who would take the risk?
    Precautionary Principle surely says offer the booster and re-evaluate next year after the winter.

If you draw a table of possible options, prisoners dilemma style, then the worst case scenario is clearly that boosters are needed but not offered. So avoid that scenario.
    Its a bit like having unprotected sex on a one night stand....probably be ok....but if it isn't, the downsides could be enormous and life changing.

I am trying to remember a really good term somebody used on a podcast for a situation where the upside might only be small / non-existent of not taking a course of action, the downside is potentially enormous.
    Russian roulette for $10 stakes ?
    Interestingly, Russian Roulette is nowhere near as dangerous as it looks. You see the chamber with the bullet in is the heaviest, and therefore it is far more likely that it will come to rest at the bottom (or next to bottom) than in the top chamber.

Still, $10 sounds a little skinny.
    There's more friction at the 12 o clock kill yourself position though from the tight clearance between the cartridge and the hammer nose bushing/extractor. Might try it with my .22 S&W Model 617.
    If you want to really spook everybody make that your last post for a while.
    I wasn't going to point at myself. I was going to wait until Bill Cash is on TV.

When I stop posting it'll be because my remains are smeared down the fast lane of the M40.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Heart of stone, etc:

Barnier’s Brexitifcation continues. This time he wants to take back control of France’s ‘legal sovereignty’ from the European Court of Justice and European Court of Human Rights - two things he was so keen to keep Britain tied to.

https://twitter.com/Barnes_Joe/status/1435965708794466307?s=20

He couldn't have kept Britain in the ECHR (even if he'd cared to), as that's nothing to do with the EU.
    I do believe that early drafts of the withdrawal agreement included bits about the UK having to stay under the ECHR and then they tried to jam it into the TCA after that gambit failed.
    Really?

I mean I don't see how that would work, because the ECHR has nothing to do with UK-EU relations. Even if we'd agreed we were still in the ECHR when we Brexited, it wouldn't be possible to require us to remain in the ECHR.
    There's nothing to stop a treaty between two parties making membership of the ECHR a condition. The Good Friday Agreement does that.
    I've just read the summary of the first draft of the WA - https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/draft_withdrawal_agreement_0.pdf

And there's no mention of the ECHR in there that I can see. I haven't checked the FTA, but I'd be surprised.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,193
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

felix said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9973503/Britains-watchdog-approves-AstraZeneca-Pfizers-jabs-used-doses.html

Spain has said only the severely immuno suppressed will be given 3rd jabs at this stage. Still too little evidence of the need for the general population to given boosters.
    Precautionary Principle surely says offer the booster and re-evaluate next year after the winter.

If you draw a table of possible options, prisoners dilemma style, then the worst case scenario is clearly that boosters are needed but not offered. So avoid that scenario.
    Its a bit like having unprotected sex on a one night stand....probably be ok....but if it isn't, the downsides could be enormous and life changing.

I am trying to remember a really good term somebody used on a podcast for a situation where the upside might only be small / non-existent of not taking a course of action, the downside is potentially enormous.
    Interestingly, Russian Roulette is nowhere near as dangerous as it looks. You see the chamber with the bullet in is the heaviest, and therefore it is far more likely that it will come to rest at the bottom (or next to bottom) than in the top chamber.

Depends. Don't you pull the trigger while the cylinder is spinning, in which case that makes no difference? If you let it come to rest the game gets even more gruesome than you might think, because you already know the outcome as you raise the gun. Unless you look away, I suppose.
    I've only seen it done in The Deer Hunter and there they didn't pull until it'd stopped spinning. A quibble I have about the film - although it doesn't ruin it for me - is that when Walken goes pro, doing it many times every night vs allcomers, he appears to survive for weeks. Surely a statistical impossibility.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

felix said:

Define "far more likely" in this case...
    Having done some research (I googled), it does not appear to make as much of a difference as I would like.
    Top tip: revolvers revolve then fire, NOT fire then revolve. R v Lamb (1967)

"Lamb possessed a Smith & Wesson revolver, with a five-chambered cylinder. Lamb was joking with O’Donaghue, his best friend, by pointing the revolver at him whilst the cylinder contained two bullets in the chambers, neither of which were opposite the barrel. O’Donaghue likewise played along with the joke and was not concerned by the situation. Lamb then pulled the trigger, thereby rotating the cylinder clockwise, causing a bullet to be placed opposite to the barrel. The bullet was struck by the striking pin and killed O’Donaghue."

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

I'm off cycling France for a week this weekend so you will all be pleased to know I (probably) won't be challenging HYUFD's unique application of the use of statistics, numbers and logic for a bit.

Stop cheering at the back.

Cycling for Softies? I did one of those in the Loire - absolutely fantastic although I do remember at one stage tearing* along what must be the equivalent of their A1(M) in torrential rain to get to my next stop.

*not in the @Dura_Ace sense of tearing along.
    220W ftp or gtfo.
    220W gets you what, about 33km/h on the flat?

Whereas if you pootle along with your triple (and a few tripels) at 110W you do about 25km/h.

That's a lot of effort just to push wind...

drag force = 1/2ρv^2CdA

So you need 4x the power to double the speed. Ignoring rolling resistance and drivetrain losses (about 3% if you are using a non junk groupset like DURA ACE).
    I started cycling to work this week, it's very nice. It takes me 45 minutes to go a bit over 6 miles so it's probably safe to assume that my FTP is not very impressive. Indeed up to now I thought FTP referred to something in computing or a hostile attitude towards the head of the Roman Catholic Church. You live and learn!
    I'm impressed you are so well up on Scottish Unionism! Or do they say that south of the border too? Liverpool?
    Born in and grew up in Scotland! Although I'm from Fife and I only ever saw a lot of FTP kind of stuff on the West Coast.
  • Options
    Good God. SNP making policy by live googling in Parliament. This is no way to make laws that will impact millions of people. Farcical.

https://twitter.com/michaeljmarra/status/1435986071116992514?s=20

At least she's honest she hasn't got a clue....googling different council's definitions of "Nightclub"!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,382
    rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

felix said:

There's more friction at the 12 o clock kill yourself position though from the tight clearance between the cartridge and the hammer nose bushing/extractor. Might try it with my .22 S&W Model 617.
    I wouldn't recommend it.
    Aren't there some revolvers with the barrel at the 6 o'clock position?
  • Options
    Bottle of whisky and mandatory 24 hr of Russian Roulette for Williamson?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Ministers are having second thoughts on plans to introduce mandatory Covid passports for nightclubs and other “high-risk” venues after Tory MPs tore into the proposals in the Commons.

Serious doubts have emerged over the policy, with officials now looking at whether case rates will require such measures.

A Whitehall source said “no decisions have been made yet” on the proposals, despite the Government insisting that the passes will be mandatory from the end of the month.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/vaccine-passport-policy-ditched-fierce-tory-backlash-1190148

Perhaps the shambles north of the border - "vote for it today, details to follow, (like "what a nightclub is")"......will help them think again....

If the vaccinated can still spread COVID, what's the point of "vaccine passports"?

Bit in Bold: That's like saying "if driving at 20 can still cause fatal accidents, what's the point of "speed limits?"".

The risk is much lower post vaccination. I oppose vaccine passports on principle, but lets not pretend they're not practical or would not work in reducing risk.

The question that needs answering is if that risk is worth sacrificing for. To me, no.
    In the context of over 80% double jabbed and another 9% single jabbed, at what point do you conclude "it wouldn't be worth the effort"?
    If they're introduced then once we reach 100% or get through the winter flu season without requiring another lockdown.

Full liberty for everyone > Full liberty for vaccinated, lockdown antivaxxers > lockdown everyone
    So you will give the police the right to demand proof of vaccination. Interesting

However if there are to be lockdown restrictions they 100% should be applied to the unvaccinated first before applying to everyone. I'd prefer zero restrictions, but the unvaccinated can own the consequences of their decisions if restrictions are applied.
    Yellow stars?
    I'm happy to go with amputate right hand, if it reduces the odds of lockdown vs no lockdown by more than 2%. Harsh, but I do like my civil liberties.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

In the morgue.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,193

Yep. But we've sent him to Rwanda so he'll be doing it out there.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    I'm really pleasantly surprised at case numbers today. As always, need more data to see the trend. Given that over 1.2M tests were conducted to have case numbers go down in England was unexpected. With schools back I had anticipated they would jump like in Scotland. Has Scotland just had fewer previous cases giving them less protection?
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

I'm really pleasantly surprised at case numbers today. As always, need more data to see the trend. Given that over 1.2M tests were conducted to have case numbers go down in England was unexpected. With schools back I had anticipated they would jump like in Scotland. Has Scotland just had fewer previous cases giving them less protection?

That can be the only explanation really.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

felix said:

Define "far more likely" in this case...
    Having done some research (I googled), it does not appear to make as much of a difference as I would like.
    Top tip: revolvers revolve then fire, NOT fire then revolve. R v Lamb (1967)

"Lamb possessed a Smith & Wesson revolver, with a five-chambered cylinder. Lamb was joking with O’Donaghue, his best friend, by pointing the revolver at him whilst the cylinder contained two bullets in the chambers, neither of which were opposite the barrel. O’Donaghue likewise played along with the joke and was not concerned by the situation. Lamb then pulled the trigger, thereby rotating the cylinder clockwise, causing a bullet to be placed opposite to the barrel. The bullet was struck by the striking pin and killed O’Donaghue."

I'm glad you told me that before my party guests arrived for the opening entertainment.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,949
    Gavin Williamson doesn't turn up in person to Universities UK conference in Newcastle - but uses his videolink speech to warn universities to get back to in person teaching....
    https://twitter.com/nicolawoolcock/status/1435893619504861187
  • Options
    Interesting. Shocked that appears to affect a meaningful number of young people.

However - how do you cap losses in any given month? I assume this is foucssed on inplay betting but presumably they don't let you STAKE more money if you're already €500 down?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    AlistairM said:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/datasets/coronaviruscovid19antibodydatafortheuk

England Antibody Prevalence: 94.1%
    Scotland Antibody Prevalence: 93.6%

That 0.5% difference is doing a lot of heavy lifting.

The key thing is the ONS infection survey out tomorrow, last release was week ending August 27th

England: 1-in-70
    Scotland: 1-in-75

So despite the dashboard surge Scotland and England had broadly similar infection levels. Now, the next Infection survey will only go up to the 3rd of September so won't capture and of the England return to school but the key thing is what happens to the Scotland number.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,004
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Yellow stars?
    I'm happy to go with amputate right hand, if it reduces the odds of lockdown vs no lockdown by more than 2%. Harsh, but I do like my civil liberties.
    In Germany I am forever having to fish out my covid certificate in order to check in to hotels or get access to services. Just this morning they wouldn’t sell me a ticket to go up the mountain in the cable car until I produced either a negative test result or a vaccination certificate.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Heart of stone, etc:

Barnier’s Brexitifcation continues. This time he wants to take back control of France’s ‘legal sovereignty’ from the European Court of Justice and European Court of Human Rights - two things he was so keen to keep Britain tied to.

Frosty had convincing arguments?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,004
    Church in Wales approves same-sex couples to have blessings in its churches
    https://twitter.com/ChurchTimes/status/1435997985540816902?s=20
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    kinabalu said:

Yep. But we've sent him to Rwanda so he'll be doing it out there.
    Do you think that if Boris hangs on to him long enough he'll start to just feel the daft child in the family?

I find myself rather liking him for his Mr Bean like innocence.

However before you imagine I've gone all soft, I do think that he's the one minister that Boris should remove. This despite the fact that Boris' seeming policy of 'no change' in his ministers is one that I really approve of.

I'm hoping that Boris doesn't sack him. If so then there's an almost fantastic 'more about Williamson' than we've seen.

Re header: Wildly unlikely, in my view, that Boris will reshuffle on such a scale, and I will have to examine the tea-leaves again if you suggest that Boris will put Gove into a great position of state. (Admittedly the departure of Mrs Gove makes it slightly more plausible)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Victims of police injustice are calling for the prime minister to replace Met Police Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick when her contract comes to an end in April.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-58490698

Where can she fail upwards to next?

House of Lords?

Lady Dick of Stockwell?
  • Options
    Scottish Government Covid adverts featuring comedian are pulled after "obscenely racist" tweets emerge about black celebs

https://twitter.com/ChrisMusson/status/1435998454644412427?s=20
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,731
    edited September 2021

Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

I'm off cycling France for a week this weekend so you will all be pleased to know I (probably) won't be challenging HYUFD's unique application of the use of statistics, numbers and logic for a bit.

Stop cheering at the back.

Cycling for Softies? I did one of those in the Loire - absolutely fantastic although I do remember at one stage tearing* along what must be the equivalent of their A1(M) in torrential rain to get to my next stop.

*not in the @Dura_Ace sense of tearing along.
    220W ftp or gtfo.
    220W gets you what, about 33km/h on the flat?

Whereas if you pootle along with your triple (and a few tripels) at 110W you do about 25km/h.

That's a lot of effort just to push wind...

drag force = 1/2ρv^2CdA

So you need 4x the power to double the speed. Ignoring rolling resistance and drivetrain losses (about 3% if you are using a non junk groupset like DURA ACE).
    I started cycling to work this week, it's very nice. It takes me 45 minutes to go a bit over 6 miles so it's probably safe to assume that my FTP is not very impressive. Indeed up to now I thought FTP referred to something in computing or a hostile attitude towards the head of the Roman Catholic Church. You live and learn!
    I'm impressed you are so well up on Scottish Unionism! Or do they say that south of the border too? Liverpool?
    Born in and grew up in Scotland! Although I'm from Fife and I only ever saw a lot of FTP kind of stuff on the West Coast.
    My Fifer-born friend (from the mining area) tells me his dad recalled it as a hell of a culture shock when whole mining settlements were transplanted from closing mines [edit] in the West Central Belt to the new NCB superpits and cooncil estates in the mid-20th century. The locals did not take kindly to the imported recreations.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

AlistairM said:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/datasets/coronaviruscovid19antibodydatafortheuk

The key thing is the ONS infection survey out tomorrow, last release was week ending August 27th

So despite the dashboard surge Scotland and England had broadly similar infection levels. Now, the next Infection survey will only go up to the 3rd of September so won't capture and of the England return to school but the key thing is what happens to the Scotland number.
    But it’s not 0.5%, because it’s those with no antibodies who we need to worry about.

Look at the same sum the other way around:

England no antibodies: 5.9%
    Scotland no antibodies: 6.4%

So there’s ten people with no antibodies in England, for every 11 people with no antibodies in Scotland- that’s 10% rather than 0.5%.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Victims of police injustice are calling for the prime minister to replace Met Police Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick when her contract comes to an end in April.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-58490698

Where can she fail upwards to next?

House of Lords?

Lady Dick of Stockwell?
    Trade Ambassador to Afghanistan....
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Scottish Government Covid adverts featuring comedian are pulled after "obscenely racist" tweets emerge about black celebs

LOL, they employed a comedian without the compulsory 15-year Twitter history wrongthink analysis.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

felix said:

If you want to really spook everybody make that your last post for a while.
    I wasn't going to point at myself. I was going to wait until Bill Cash is on TV.

When I stop posting it'll be because my remains are smeared down the fast lane of the M40.
    I really hope not
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2021
    Self-confessed 'Privileged, white middle class' XR protester, 60, who lives in a £900,000 farmhouse says she was 'exercising her human rights' while blocking roads outside Parliament, court hears

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9973761/Privileged-white-middle-class-XR-activist-60-tells-court-human-right-protest.html

I am coming around to the idea of a massive wealth tax on property......the (eco) marxists all seem to own massive houses or make their money from flipping property, buy to lets, etc.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K

• Options
    @Dura_Ace, was this what you used to thrash about?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9jUM-OWGLhA (993 GT2)
  • Options
    UK local R

• Options
    This is a very risky post, but I'll chance my neck.

TSE thinks

"One thing is for sure, Boris Johnson needs a reshuffle, Raab, Patel, and Williamson deserve to be removed."

I don't think that this is right. Apologies TSE, but I find your posts to be somewhat, and consistently, wrong.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    Sandpit said:

LOL, they employed a comedian without the compulsory 15-year Twitter history wrongthink analysis.
    The government better not think of using TSE for any campaigns.....
  • Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

Self-confessed 'Privileged, white middle class' XR protester, 60, who lives in a £900,000 farmhouse says she was 'exercising her human rights' while blocking roads outside Parliament, court hears

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9973761/Privileged-white-middle-class-XR-activist-60-tells-court-human-right-protest.html

I am coming around to the idea of a massive wealth tax on property......the (eco) marxists all seem to own massive houses or make their money from flipping property, buy to lets, etc.

Not against a wealth tax on property, but not clear why her house is relevant to the case. I'm not class warrior enough to feel that rich people shouldn't have an opinion on the environment...
  • Options
    UK R

• Options
    Age related data

• Options

Not against a wealth tax on property, but not clear why her house is relevant to the case. I'm not class warrior enough to feel that rich people shouldn't have an opinion on the environment...
    It’s the Daily Mail. House prices are a compulsory part of any court appearance story.
  • Options
    Age related data scaled to 100K

• Options
    edited September 2021

I think it is emphasising her own point that she is a wealthy individual who is in a privileged position to break the law and it not have any consequences.

What a £200 fine to her....

It seems to be a rather consistent theme among the eco-Marxists, they are either wealthy and privileged individuals themselves or the children of them. While the majority have to put up with their illegal behaviour, causing massive disruption, tying up the police from dealing with serious crime and costing us all a load of money.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

AlistairM said:

Scotland has much wider error bars than England - it could have been as high as 1-in-60, or as low (sic!) as 1-in-90 (iirc) - purely a function of base size.

• Options
    Omnium said:

TSE thinks

"One thing is for sure, Boris Johnson needs a reshuffle, Raab, Patel, and Williamson deserve to be removed."

I don't think that this is right. Apologies TSE, but I find your posts to be somewhat, and consistently, wrong.

He says they deserve it, not will get it. Who could disagree with that?
  • Options

Not against a wealth tax on property
    Writes a renter.....

• Options
    Charles said:

Heart of stone, etc:

Frosty had convincing arguments?
    Not necessarily, but possibly popular ones....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

AlistairM said:

But it’s not 0.5%, because it’s those with no antibodies who we need to worry about.

So there’s ten people with no antibodies in England, for every 11 people with no antibodies in Scotland- that’s 10% rather than 0.5%.
    Doh, of course! I have fallen for a basic data analysis mistake.

I need to have a think about how that affects my analysis.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    The polls are pretty diverse at the moment - the average is being weighted down by Rasmussen and some extremely negative YouGov figures, while other institutes are showing him recovering:and back ahead of Trump if there was a rematch. Virginia polls are also all over the place, but the California recall next week does seem to be heading for the rocks:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

TSE thinks

I do. Raab and Patel deserve no such thing.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

TSE thinks

That rather depends on whether you think Johnson's criteria for ministers are "competence" or "popularity".

To which could be added "credible threat to himself".
  • Options

Good God. SNP making policy by live googling in Parliament. This is no way to make laws that will impact millions of people. Farcical.

At least she's honest she hasn't got a clue....googling different council's definitions of "Nightclub"!

Not an SNP fan but I can't see any harm in it. When I was in Parliament MPs would routinely google things they weren't sure of while in session (not to mention bored MPs googling something quite different), and that was 11 years ago now. It feels quite refreshing to have the interaction in public like this.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

TSE thinks

Yes they do.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    O/T

Just back from a very enjoyable few nights in London.

In the West End covid not really impacting any activities that I could see. Full-house in the theatre, few masks. Soho's street cafes and bars busy and buzzing. Really nice to enjoy buzz again there.

However...

A noticable scarcity of foreign tourists, which is actually rather nice though no doubt bad for business. Galleries & museums were very quiet, and thus rather enjoyable, with pretty much 100% mask wearing. Had to show my vaccination certificate even to get in to the Royal Albert Hall, wherease no checks at all in Sadlers Wells, and thus few masks. All very inconsistent.

Like normal, but not quite.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

AlistairM said:

There’s lies, damn lies, and statistics. ;)

Media use of statistics, and scientific data in general in the past 18 months, deserves to be called out - as do those producing the official statistics, who often don’t provide an idiot-proof briefing to liberal-arts-educated hacks.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Defining night club, sounds a bit like all the nonsense about substantial meal......there is a legal definition, but I doubt anybody knows the letter of the law, so everybody resorts to well its obvious its erhhh you know, where you pay to get in, drinks are way more expensive than the pub, and its open until really late, or something.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    The polls are pretty diverse at the moment - the average is being weighted down by Rasmussen and some extremely negative YouGov figures, while other institutes are showing him recovering:and back ahead of Trump if there was a rematch. Virginia polls are also all over the place, but the California recall next week does seem to be heading for the rocks:

And that's a net improvement of +8 points for Biden in a week with Rasmussen.

Extrapolating that out over the next few weeks he'll be +40 Approval by October.
  • Options

Not an SNP fan but I can't see any harm in it. When I was in Parliament MPs would routinely google things they weren't sure of while in session (not to mention bored MPs googling something quite different), and that was 11 years ago now. It feels quite refreshing to have the interaction in public like this.
    Agree - the fault lies with the Scottish (and quite likely UK) government in rushing through a half (at best!) thought through plan.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

AlistairM said:

There’s lies, damn lies, and statistics. ;)

Media use of statistics, and scientific data in general in the past 18 months, deserves to be called out - as do those producing the official statistics, who often don’t provide an idiot-proof briefing to liberal-arts-educated hacks.
    No no no no, you got it all wrong, Prof Peston says people like him in the media are just far better read and always in front of the curve compared to the government and their scientists.....they are operating on another higher level than the rest of us plebs.
  • Options

No, but tit for tat. You shouldn't screw up working people's day unless you are taking unpaid leave from a job of your own to do so. Level playing fields please.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,731
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

AlistairM said:

Not sure. There is very little difference in the number of relatively inert people between each immunologically naive person. So that implies something like a purely proportional difference in incidence - 10% more?

Definitely needs a think!
  • Options
    This is the best bit on XR from Paul Chowdhry....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv_uXv04JBM
  • Options

I’m not familiar with Scotland, but the definition of a nightclub in England became very muddy with the 2003 Licensing Act, when pubs were allowed to open past 11pm.

I’ve not held a licence under that Act, only the previous regime which made clear distinctions between types of venue.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

TSE thinks

Yes they do.
    Oh no they don't! :)

Pantomime fun, but I do believe it.

My internet connection is currently worse than tin cans on a string (BT), so apologies if I post this twice.
  • Options

Nationalist is a racist? No surely not!
  • Options
    Rather than posting all four - basically, E, S & W Covid cases are essentially flat vs week ago - only NI up:

https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/status/1436005488777474049?s=20
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    edited September 2021
    Sandpit said:

Why does the car have "911 GT" written on the back of it? Is it an insider joke?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Health Secretary Sajid Javid says he is "confident" the vaccine booster programme will start later in September.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has said the Pfizer and AstraZeneca jabs are safe to use as boosters, but the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) has yet to give its advice to ministers.

"We are heading towards our booster programme, so the news from the MHRA today is welcome," Javid says during a visit to Moorfields Eye Hospital in London.

"But also I want to wait for the final opinion of the JCVI, it's important that we do and we listen to what they have got to say.

"I'm confident that our booster programme will start later this month but I'm still awaiting the final advice."
  • Options

I think it is emphasising her own point that she is a wealthy individual who is in a privileged position to break the law and it not have any consequences.

It seems to be a rather consistent theme among the eco-Marxists, they are either wealthy and privileged individuals themselves or the children of them. While the majority have to put up with their illegal behaviour, causing massive disruption, tying up the police from dealing with serious crime and costing us all a load of money.
    Maybe if these rich kids had to work for a living they wouldn't be so precious.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I’m not familiar with Scotland, but the definition of a nightclub in England became very muddy with the 2003 Licensing Act, when pubs were allowed to open past 11pm.

I’ve not held a licence under that Act, only the previous regime which made clear distinctions between types of venue.
    It's a mess across the wash - the first iteration of Scottish regulations said more or less "look at the dictionary..."

I doubt any of the UK countries have covered themselves in glory....
  • Options
    United States batsman Jaskaran Malhotra has become the ninth man to hit six sixes in an over in top-level cricket.

The 31-year-old hit the runs off Papua New Guinea pace bowler Gaudi Toka in a one-day international in Oman.

He is just the second player to achieve the feat in ODI cricket after South Africa's Herschelle Gibbs in 2007.

It also ensured Malhotra, whose previous highest score was 18, finished unbeaten on 173 - the highest one-day score by a US batsman.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/58507018

Slight improvement on his past performances!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,670
    edited September 2021
    They don't know what they are, how much they'll cost business (it's more than just "a free APP") - or where they'll be used - but they're going to have them anyway:

MSPs have approved plans for vaccine passports in Scotland by a vote of 68 to 55 - split along party lines between government and opposition

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1436009547987132417?s=20
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Why not? The Tories made a comedian know for his racist comments Prime Minister.
  • Options

Health Secretary Sajid Javid says he is "confident" the vaccine booster programme will start later in September.

You start jabbing in September....immunity starts peaking in November....and infection starts peaking in January....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Why does the car have "911 GT" written on the back of it? Is it an insider joke?
    “911” as a brand, has existed since the ‘60s, across several different evolutions of the car.

The ‘automotive community’ refers to the different models by their internal model numbers, so the current 911 is a 992, the previous one a 991. Then it gets confusing, because the next two are 997 and 996, and the ones before that were 993, 964 and 930, before we actually get back to 911.

This nomenclature is actually quite common. So i just bought an E-Class Mercedes. The one I have is a W211, as opposed to the preceding W210, or the successor W212 and W213 models. At least Mercedes keep the numbers in order!
  • Options

United States batsman Jaskaran Malhotra has become the ninth man to hit six sixes in an over in top-level cricket.

The 31-year-old hit the runs off Papua New Guinea pace bowler Gaudi Toka in a one-day international in Oman.

He is just the second player to achieve the feat in ODI cricket after South Africa's Herschelle Gibbs in 2007.

It also ensured Malhotra, whose previous highest score was 18, finished unbeaten on 173 - the highest one-day score by a US batsman.

United States vs Papua New Guinea is top-level cricket?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,193
    edited September 2021

One might be called churlish for suggesting that PNG might not be quite at the top of world cricket. I assume it counts as list A, but it’s a stretch.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

One might be called churlish for suggesting that PNG might not be quite at the top of world cricket. I assume it counts as list A, but it’s a stretch.
    Qualified for the T20 WC...

Just seen the footage, the lad getting tonked, he is has a nice action, bowling decent pace. Definitely not Sunday League.
  • Options

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has said the Pfizer and AstraZeneca jabs are safe to use as boosters, but the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) has yet to give its advice to ministers.

"We are heading towards our booster programme, so the news from the MHRA today is welcome," Javid says during a visit to Moorfields Eye Hospital in London.

"But also I want to wait for the final opinion of the JCVI, it's important that we do and we listen to what they have got to say.

"I'm confident that our booster programme will start later this month but I'm still awaiting the final advice."

GET ON WITH IT!!!

Seriously - Israel, UAE and USA are all doing booster shots. It might make the difference between restrictions in winter and not, especially among the more vulnerable groups.

This is actually rocket science, and the world is learning it as we go along. UK gov has done really well on vaccines and shouldn’t hesitate now, when looking at what’s happening elsewhere.
  • Options
    Breaking

13 UK nationals flown out of Kabul with US and others
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

“911” as a brand, has existed since the ‘60s, across several different evolutions of the car.

The ‘automotive community’ refers to the different models by their internal model numbers, so the current 911 is a 992, the previous one a 991. Then it gets confusing, because the next two are 997 and 996, and the ones before that were 993, 964 and 930, before we actually get back to 911.

This nomenclature is actually quite common. So i just bought an E-Class Mercedes. The one I have is a W211, as opposed to the preceding W210, or the successor W212 and W213 models. At least Mercedes keep the numbers in order!
    Thanks. A bit like the Glock numbering where No.8 is a frying pan or something.
  • Options

Just seen the footage, the lad getting tonked, he is has a nice action, bowling decent pace. Definitely not Sunday League.
    One of these such teams U19s scored something like 340 in a T20.

Diehard that I am I'm still backing the Malawi Women' team.
  • Options

How do you achieve that?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,193

Boundary looks a tad small...
  • Options
    Sky interview with Starmer re health and social care

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1436004573798350849?s=19
  • Options

Sandpit said:

It's a mess across the wash - the first iteration of Scottish regulations said more or less "look at the dictionary..."

I doubt any of the UK countries have covered themselves in glory....
    The cleanest definition I can think of at the moment, is that a nightclub is a venue required as a condition of its licence to employ door staff, or to remain open past 1am.

That definition is going to collect a lot of city centre bars, your Yates’s Wine Lodges etc. Maybe you could extend it to venues closed until 8pm, but that would just lead to them all opening at 7.
  • Options

How do you achieve that?
    🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Thanks. A bit like the Glock numbering where No.8 is a frying pan or something.
    I've always found that those don't stick to the road.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Sky interview with Starmer re health and social care

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1436004573798350849?s=19

Drowning.....

The most concerning thing I hear Starmer talk about is "those who earn money from means that is not work".....now what is work....he seems to claim those that own buy to let aren't doing work....when I rented, my landlord made numerous visits to sort out problems, was always available to us, he had to do loads of paper work to ensure he was legal, came and did loads of the maintenance work himself, etc....The number of hours he put into his properties was significant.

How about investors in companies?....are they "working"?...I have set up businesses, I would suggest I did a hell of a lot more hours "work" for many years (and still do), than those than a normal employee ever does in a week.
  • Options

How do you achieve that?
    🤷‍♂️
    I'll help you then. Tax wealth and inheritance so that these rich idiots don't get a free ride in life.
  • Options
    Starmer just needs a better slogan, "tax wealth not workers".

Blair would not be sitting here writing out the Labour plan for social care
  • Options
    Reshuffle not happening then?
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Starmer just needs a better slogan, "tax wealth not workers".

Blair would not be sitting here writing out the Labour plan for social care

You seem to think that is a massive winner....I would suggest that a) scares a lot of people, asset rich, cash poor...and b) aspirational types.

Thatcher won because she won among many of the working and middle class who had aspirations of becoming wealthier.

Remember New Labour openly stated they were very relaxed on people becoming wealthy. Its calmed the horses that you could vote Labour, aspire to do better, become wealthier. And that is exactly what a lot of people did, and hence why he got re-elected.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

HYUFD said:

Works both ways though Nick because Biden's 538 rating is being bolstered by a +10 net positive score with Redfield and Wilton, which is an obvious outlier but which is holding up his score.

VA does look to be quite tight at the moment with no one candidate really breaking through, Re CA recall, agree Newsom will probably win but, as pointed out earlier, the latest Suffolk poll has a very big disproportionate Bay area sample and a under-represented San Diego / OC weighting, so it is probably exaggerating the actual result.
This discussion has been closed.