Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Let them eat cake – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    1h
    To put it another way, now we've reached the Summer HIT, there's no plausible scenario in which we wouldn't have reached the Winter HIT by Winter. From here on, though "shocks" cld take R>1 for short periods, it can't stay there for any sustained period until there's waning.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

No votes yet for Cumbrae island? Is it bollocks?

Is there tons to see in Caithness?!

It could be Genghis Khan's testicles for all I know - I've never been there, that's all.

But it does need a ferry trip and generally in Scotland bookings for ferries have been tight, with locals given peiority (as they need it for things like medicals etc.) It may not be an issue, but DYOR.
    Ferries are easy, it's a 2 mile trip, and apparently never full. But it does sound a bit suburban. And maybe my daughter needs proper Scottish wilderness. Caithness!
    Not always, Leon.
    https://www.largsandmillportnews.com/news/19493130.calmac-bosses-meet-msp-ferry-chaos/
    I did get a lovely shot of the Waverley departing the pier at Largs a few weeks back on a beautiful day. I'm not much of a photo taker but it's probably the nicest photo I've ever taken.
    Caught this pic on Twitter, symbolic of something or other.

If you zoom out far enough the Ever Given is in the background. Probably.
    That’s a great photo of the Waverley and the Millport ferry.
    They just turn it perpendicular and everyone walks across to Cumbrae. Problem solved!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited August 2021
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Having digressed to Scotland, it's back to more familiar territory with a new German poll tonight from Allenstein:

Changes from 2017 election:

Union CDU/CSU: 26% (-7)
    Social Democrats: 24% (+3.5)
    Greens: 17% (+8)
    Free Democrats: 10.5%
    Alternative for Germany: 10.5% (-2)
    Left: 6% (-3)

Another strong poll for the Social Democrats and another disappointing poll for the FDP who have slipped back from the 13% levels seen a few weeks ago. Allenstein had the highest ratings for the Union but even they see support for Laschet slipping away as Scholz continues to gain ground.

Actually that is a surprisingly good poll for the Union, that poll would still give them most seats and as the Union+FDP+AfD combined have the same number of votes as the Social Democrats+Greens+Left combined the latter would not have a majority.

So most likely it would be a continuation of the Union and Social Democrats grand coalition, given combined they would now be back to 50%.

So after all the excitement absolutely zero change on now
    Perhaps but Allensbach (apologies) is generally the pollster with the highest return for the Union. It had them on 31.5% in early June and 27.5% on the last poll. The fact they are down to 26% on this poll confirms they are probably really polling 22-24% and are behind the SPD.

I still think it likely the SPD will outpoll the Union and while the coalition may continue (I suspect it won't), Scholz will become Chancellor rather than Laschet.

If the SPD win most seats then yes Scholz would be chancellor but I would not rule out Laschet being vice chancellor even then.

Scholz is on the right of the SPD and would probably prefer to work with the CDU than Linke whatever the numbers, just the Greens would be added to the Grand Coalition too.

If that turns out to be the case I think Soder could take the CSU into opposition so he could become default Leader of the Opposition with the FDP after the CDU rejected him as chancellor candidate in favour of Laschet
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I expect an 8% divide would probably be too much for Trudeau to overcome but most polls have it closer than that.

It certainly looks possible though the Conservatives could win the popular vote by even more than they did in 2019 but Trudeau's Liberals still narrowly win most seats even if the Conservatives win most seats excluding Quebec

The truth is 241 of the 338 ridings are in Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia - that is the battleground. The Conservatives may pile up votes in Alberta and the Prairies but that's just 62 seats (or about half of Ontario).

The polls "suggest" that is what is happening but we could use some regional polling in the three battleground provinces. The NDP are doing much better this time and the seat projections suggest they may double the size of their caucus.

It seems Conservative activists were instrumental in getting the Trudeau rally cancelled on Friday - one of the local candidates is desperately trying to distance himself from the hecklers but this may not play too well.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-candidate-trudeau-rally-1.6156959

Here are the updated daily regional projections. Not clear of the methodology. Whether they are from region specific polls, sub samples, extrapolations or a mixture. I very much doubt the Territories have been polled. Nor have significant sub samples for example.

https://338canada.com/#reg
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,990

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

The road from my home in New Pitsligo towards Pennan (next insane cliff nestling village along from Crovie) is mind blowing. As is the road on from there towards Troup and Crovie and Gardenstown. And then on towards Macduff is amazing as well.

Do you get the impression I love it here?

My colleague was working in Fraserburgh for a week, and the locals suggested he might like to cycle to Pennan.

He was not impressed
    It's gloriously flat west out of the Broch along the shoreline through Rosehearty. Erm, less flat west of there. Plenty of lunatic hills until you get to the crossroads above Pennan. Then just the 35% grade down to the village....
    I spent much of last week swearing at the stupid twunt who put no fewer than four one in five gradients on 82 from Talybont to Porthmadog.

But 35%?!!!! That must be the steepest road in Britain, surely?
    I haven't measured it, and it is only signposted as 14% on the initial bit before the gradient comfortably doubles, then gets even steeper on the final descent to the village where it squeezes between houses.

Either way you want to get a run at it on the way up, so the idea of doing it on a bike is quite funny.
    ISTR the steepest road in Britain is in Harlech. 30-odd percent.
    Just watched the Motorbike Show (sorry Dura Ace) and they say it's Hardknot Pass in the Lake District. I guess it may be one of those contested ones..
    Hardknot thoroughly exhausted me as a passenger in a Ford Mondeo.
    I slipped to a stand in my 5-series in the rain on the most worn steep hairpin. Eased it back gently towards the edge then used a bit more controlled slippage to scramble away up the hill.

Not an easy road to drive.
    I remember reaching the top. The car was facing the sky and I couldn’t see the road in front of me.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cumbrae is a small island and can be a bit limiting as small islands tend to be; Bute would have more options if you're in that area.
    John O'Groats for the grandeur and choices, and being able to say you've been.
    Ta!

We have indeed gone for John o groats; Thankyou PB
    Just avoid the chip shop in Thurso. The worst fish supper I have ever suffered.
    If your daughter gets a bit stroppy buy her a single ticket to Altnabreac.
    Don’t expect the weather to be as warm as it was in Athens.
    I've got a couple of dildo knapping commission to to go Lugano, then Portugal, immediately after, which will soften the blow

Also I'm rather looking forward to it. This is one of the few corners of the UK I have never seen. Caithness and the far north British coast. Might even sneak in a daytrip to the Orkneys (where I have also never been)
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    dixiedean said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I expect an 8% divide would probably be too much for Trudeau to overcome but most polls have it closer than that.

It certainly looks possible though the Conservatives could win the popular vote by even more than they did in 2019 but Trudeau's Liberals still narrowly win most seats even if the Conservatives win most seats excluding Quebec

The truth is 241 of the 338 ridings are in Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia - that is the battleground. The Conservatives may pile up votes in Alberta and the Prairies but that's just 62 seats (or about half of Ontario).

The polls "suggest" that is what is happening but we could use some regional polling in the three battleground provinces. The NDP are doing much better this time and the seat projections suggest they may double the size of their caucus.

It seems Conservative activists were instrumental in getting the Trudeau rally cancelled on Friday - one of the local candidates is desperately trying to distance himself from the hecklers but this may not play too well.

Here are the updated daily regional projections. Not clear of the methodology. Whether they are from region specific polls, sub samples, extrapolations or a mixture. I very much doubt the Territories have been polled. Nor have significant sub samples for example.

https://338canada.com/#reg
    On those numbers the Liberals still would win most seats then, with 141 to 136 for the Conservatives but the Conservatives would again win the popular vote.

Excluding seats from Quebec though the Conservatives would comfortably win most seats in the rest of Canada, 125 to 100.

So if Trudeau is re elected it will be his current home province of Quebec that saves his bacon
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856
    Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

I'm still in shock - after all these years I've been to a place you haven't.

Went to John O'Groats 25 years ago - it certainly lacks the scenic majesty of Land's End with its granite cliffs etc. I had coffee in the octagonal building named after one Jan de Groot (yes, it's named after a Dutchman) who built the original back in the 15th century.

For a better "view" head a few miles west to Dunnet Head - the vista back west down the north coast of Scotland is spectacular and would be more so were it not for Dounreay power station.

When global warming renders the Med uninhabitable, the northern Scottish coast will be the place for seaside holidays - buy some land or a property there - in 100 years it'll be as popular as the Costa Del Sol.

Scrabster is a delightful little port and from there you can get a ferry to Stromness on Orkney - the ferry passes the legendary Old Man of Hoy.

Any recommendations for great seafood in north east Scotland? Oysters, lobsters. anything?
    Orkney scallops - superb. I love them with pea puree and black pudding.

One other thing I'd recommend on Orkney is a visit to Scapa Flow where the German High Seas Fleet was scuttled in June 1919 and the Royal Oak was sunk in 1939. The memorial to HMS Hampshire and Lord Kitchener is haunting.
  • Options
    stodge said:

That’s a great photo of the Waverley and the Millport ferry.

They have brought the Waverley down south for trips - Mrs Stodge and I did a journey from Tower Hill down the Thames on it - very enjoyable until the heavens opened on the way back.

It's a beautiful piece of engineering.
    She’s not coming south this year due to staffing issues. (Note to self - don’t mention Brexit.)
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

The road from my home in New Pitsligo towards Pennan (next insane cliff nestling village along from Crovie) is mind blowing. As is the road on from there towards Troup and Crovie and Gardenstown. And then on towards Macduff is amazing as well.

My colleague was working in Fraserburgh for a week, and the locals suggested he might like to cycle to Pennan.

He was not impressed
    It's gloriously flat west out of the Broch along the shoreline through Rosehearty. Erm, less flat west of there. Plenty of lunatic hills until you get to the crossroads above Pennan. Then just the 35% grade down to the village....
    I spent much of last week swearing at the stupid twunt who put no fewer than four one in five gradients on 82 from Talybont to Porthmadog.

I haven't measured it, and it is only signposted as 14% on the initial bit before the gradient comfortably doubles, then gets even steeper on the final descent to the village where it squeezes between houses.

Either way you want to get a run at it on the way up, so the idea of doing it on a bike is quite funny.
    Just watched the Motorbike Show (sorry Dura Ace) and they say it's Hardknot Pass in the Lake District. I guess it may be one of those contested ones..
    Hardknot thoroughly exhausted me as a passenger in a Ford Mondeo.
    I slipped to a stand in my 5-series in the rain on the most worn steep hairpin. Eased it back gently towards the edge then used a bit more controlled slippage to scramble away up the hill.

Not an easy road to drive.
    I remember reaching the top. The car was facing the sky and I couldn’t see the road in front of me.
    Thats where 360 degree cameras have their use. Use the front camera. Can't see, but the camera can.
  • Options

Covid severely impacted my attempt to conquer all of ScotRail last year. I managed to do both routes into Inverness from the south (September 2019), and the east (March 2020, just two weeks before the First Lockdown).

But I still have to do the two routes west and north (Kyle of Lochalsh route and the Far North route to Wick/Thurso).

Hope you can get them done soon. Did you get to Stranraer?
    Thanks! I managed to do Stranraer in August 2019, tried to do it September/October 2018, but that was when the route beyond Ayr was closed due to Ayr station hotel subsiding (I think). I actually reached Ayr by September 2017.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

PBers:

I'm finding LA difficult for a business that's increasingly all over the US. And it's on a terrible time zone for communications with the UK. My wife also hates driving in Los Angeles, and would rather be somewhere more walkable.

So, we're looking around the US for somewhere:

(1) With acceptable weather (which counts Boston and Chicago out)
    (2) With good public transport, and where one doesn't have to jump in the car *all* *the* *time*.
    (3) That has really good transport links (both to the UK and across the US)
    (4) That is on EST or CET
    (5) That has decent restaurants, museums, etc.

Any thoughts? We're thinking of the DC area, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Richmond, VA
    Philly
    NYC (although I don’t like it)
  • Options
    stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Went to John O'Groats 25 years ago - it certainly lacks the scenic majesty of Land's End with its granite cliffs etc. I had coffee in the octagonal building named after one Jan de Groot (yes, it's named after a Dutchman) who built the original back in the 15th century.

For a better "view" head a few miles west to Dunnet Head - the vista back west down the north coast of Scotland is spectacular and would be more so were it not for Dounreay power station.

When global warming renders the Med uninhabitable, the northern Scottish coast will be the place for seaside holidays - buy some land or a property there - in 100 years it'll be as popular as the Costa Del Sol.

Scrabster is a delightful little port and from there you can get a ferry to Stromness on Orkney - the ferry passes the legendary Old Man of Hoy.

Any recommendations for great seafood in north east Scotland? Oysters, lobsters. anything?

One other thing I'd recommend on Orkney is a visit to Scapa Flow where the German High Seas Fleet was scuttled in June 1919 and the Royal Oak was sunk in 1939. The memorial to HMS Hampshire and Lord Kitchener is haunting.
    Many thanks, I think we might head for a day trip on Orkney. Scara Brae and Scapa Flow
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856
    edited August 2021
    HYUFD said:

If the SPD win most seats then yes Scholz would be chancellor but I would not rule out Laschet being vice chancellor even then.

Scholz is on the right of the SPD and would probably prefer to work with the CDU than Linke whatever the numbers, just the Greens would be added to the Grand Coalition too.

If that turns out to be the case I think Soder could take the CSU into opposition so he could become default Leader of the Opposition with the FDP after the CDU rejected him as chancellor candidate in favour of Laschet

A propos our discussion, the latest INSA poll just out:

Changes from last poll:

Social Democrats: 24% (+2)
    Union CDU/CSU: 21% (-1)
    Greens: 17%
    Free Democrats: 13%
    Alternative for Germany: 11% (-1)
    Left: 6% (-1)

A dreadful poll for the Union I'm sure you would agree with the SPD starting to consolidate a lead.

It may be Linke will fail to beat the 5% threshold which as you say will please Scholz no end.

I still think Lindner will work with Scholz and he'll tolerate being around the same table as the Greens as long as Scholz is in charge.
  • Options
    Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Lord knows if it's still there, but in Brora had a very nice lunch at one of the pubs way back in 1989.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cumbrae is a small island and can be a bit limiting as small islands tend to be; Bute would have more options if you're in that area.
    Ta!

I've got a couple of dildo knapping commission to to go Lugano, then Portugal, immediately after, which will soften the blow

Also I'm rather looking forward to it. This is one of the few corners of the UK I have never seen. Caithness and the far north British coast. Might even sneak in a daytrip to the Orkneys (where I have also never been)
    Direct tour to Orkney by ferry direct from John O’Groats. As always, PB is your friend.
    https://www.jogferry.co.uk/getdoc/cc44c9ff-c84b-444c-972f-bbbb9a2ff7ec/Maxi.aspx
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Changes from last poll:

A dreadful poll for the Union I'm sure you would agree with the SPD starting to consolidate a lead.

It may be Linke will fail to beat the 5% threshold which as you say will please Scholz no end.

I still think Lindner will work with Scholz and he'll tolerate being around the same table as the Greens as long as Scholz is in charge.
    I think even then the Greens would prefer to work with Laschet then Lindner, economicaly Lindner is right of Laschet, Scholz could work with both but the Greens would have the casting vote for Laschet
  • Options
    darkage said:

Covid severely impacted my attempt to conquer all of ScotRail last year. I managed to do both routes into Inverness from the south (September 2019), and the east (March 2020, just two weeks before the First Lockdown).

But I still have to do the two routes west and north (Kyle of Lochalsh route and the Far North route to Wick/Thurso).

I think the far north route is one of the most underrated in the UK. Not quite as dramatic as the west highland line but literally hours of unspoiled coastline mixed with desolate desert like scenery. If you get to Thurso, the ferry from Scrabster to Stromness is also a great trip, beautiful sitting out on deck passing the man of hoy sailing in to Orkney.
    Thanks, the trouble with Thurso is that the train only waits there a few minutes, despite it being the most northerly station in the UK. By contrast, there's a much longer lay-over at Wick.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Changes from last poll:

Die Linke are still likely to win individual seats in eastern Germany , which apparently entitles the party to continued representation in the Bundestag despite falling below the 5% threshold.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,355
    stodge said:

Leon said:

John o Groats isn't even the furthest point north in Scotland.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Yes seems a lot of anti vaccine passport campaigners were harassing Trudeau and his supporters at the rally, though the Conservative leadership have distanced themselves from them
    Indeed but it seems some were Conservative activists so it's a bit awkward.

Everyone has a right to protest but to force the cancellation of an opposition party's rally doesn't sit well.

We'll see - Trudeau is fighting for his political life currently. His decision to go to the country looks ill-judged.
    He is, and it does.
    However, the Conservatives have moved ahead on the back of Trudeau's failings. Remarkably little has been heard from them, and their leader has the worst approval rating of the 4 main Party leaders. Their programme, and O'Toole, have yet to face scrutiny or debates. Right now they are gaining from not being Justin. They will be praying the significant Trumpian caucus don't keep popping up so voluably and frequently.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ta!

Direct tour to Orkney by ferry direct from John O’Groats. As always, PB is your friend.
    https://www.jogferry.co.uk/getdoc/cc44c9ff-c84b-444c-972f-bbbb9a2ff7ec/Maxi.aspx
    Am I the only one who is surprised that you can decide you need a break in the UK in the next few days and can go and actually book something and not find it was completely sold out several months ago?

• Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers:

I'm finding LA difficult for a business that's increasingly all over the US. And it's on a terrible time zone for communications with the UK. My wife also hates driving in Los Angeles, and would rather be somewhere more walkable.

(2) With good public transport, and where one doesn't have to jump in the car *all* *the* *time*.

Any thoughts? We're thinking of the DC area, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Richmond, VA
    Philly
    NYC (although I don’t like it)
    In DC in particular, I'd worry about traffic being stopped for hours to allow the President's motorcade to drive around.
  • Options
    Is anyone keeping count of @leon 's carbon use?
  • Options

stodge said:

Leon said:

Dunnet Head!

Actually visited both Land's End and John O'Groats back in 1989, by car, albeit on two separate road-trips. I was only 13, so my Dad did the driving :)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

He was not impressed

Yes, Fford Pen Llech.
    I have actually driven down that.

Amazingly, route 82 goes round the back of it instead of up it. But I went down the main A-road to the station instead as I was fed up with all those bloody hills.

Even there going past Theatr Ardudwy I clocked 39 mph on the bike. I was actually gaining on the BMW behind me, which he seemed not to relish.
  • Options

stodge said:

Leon said:

You can’t say you’re in the far north until you’ve Dunnet.

Good night.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited August 2021
    Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Many thanks, I think we might head for a day trip on Orkney. Scara Brae and Scapa Flow
    See also all and any of the prehistoric stuff which rivals Gobekli Tepe

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2012/oct/06/orkney-temple-centre-ancient-britain

And the ww1 Italian Chapel on Scapa Flow

And in the cathedral in Kirkwall the extraordinary tomb of the explorer John rae - full length sculpture of him in his sleeping bag with his rifle beside him, looking happy as Larry

Eta rivals GT is overstatement. But it's here and it's ours and it's older then the pyramids and probably older than Stonehenge.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
    We're out:

The final flight carrying UK Armed Forces personnel has left Kabul. To all those who served so bravely under enormous pressure and horrendous conditions to safely evacuate the most vulnerable of civilians: Thank you.

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQPress/status/1431723759250120712?s=20
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,355
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Good night.
    I should get a fee for every time I set you up!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

See also all and any of the prehistoric stuff which rivals Gobekli Tepe

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2012/oct/06/orkney-temple-centre-ancient-britain

And the ww1 Italian Chapel on Scapa Flow

And in the cathedral in Kirkwall the extraordinary tomb of the explorer John rae - full length sculpture of him in his sleeping bag with his rifle beside him, looking happy as Larry
    Add a trip to Skaill Bay, Ring of Brodgar, and the Brough of Birsay. Although at this point a day trip is going to be optimistic! Needs a week at least.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ta!

Am I the only one who is surprised that you can decide you need a break in the UK in the next few days and can go and actually book something and not find it was completely sold out several months ago?

He did say he could only find John O'Groats and Cumbrae.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ta!

I didn't decide. My daughter did
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567
    Nigelb said:

geoffw said:

Scott_xP said:

NEW: Pen Farthing is said to have told an adviser to the Defence Secretary “I am going to destroy you” in a threatening voicemail.

h/t Steve Bird in @Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/08/28/pen-farthing-said-have-left-voicemail-ben-wallaces-adviser-going/

That's Farthing having his tuppenceworth.
    Is he not the full shilling ?
    And here he is in late July.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Good night.
    I’ll see your Dunnet Head and raise you Muckle Flugga.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

“I will destroy you,” with added swear words. Extraordinary full tape of Pen Farthing threatening Ben Wallace’s aide warned over pet rescue from Afghanistan

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/4a851406-082a-11ec-ab20-2ce30c912e38?shareToken=5fb449c3b450f1af0bf465fe982e795c

This just gets worse and worse, suggestion that these animals might have to be put down due to disease when they arrive after they’ve deprived actual humans entitled to escape here of getting assistance to evacuate from the wrath of the Taliban 🤯 https://twitter.com/shippersunbound/status/1431713084826132487 https://twitter.com/VinnyMcAv/status/1431715683591655435/photo/1

They should have shot all the fucking animals. Ridiculous. Saving cats over humans. Despicable
    Don't blame Pen Farthing, it is Biden and the Taliban who set the 31st August withdrawal deadline.

Saving a few animals as well makes little difference to that, there was no way all refugees would get out before 31st
    There's more than enough blame to go round. We can blame Biden overall, and also Farthing for being a psychotic self-important piece of shit. I wonder what attracted Carrie to him in the first place?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Changes from last poll:

Die Linke are still likely to win individual seats in eastern Germany , which apparently entitles the party to continued representation in the Bundestag despite falling below the 5% threshold.
    Die linke's predecessor PDS fell below 5% and only won 2 constituency seats in East Berlin in 2002 but die Linke is still projected to win about 7% of the national vote and is projected to win 5 constituency seats - 4 in east Berlin and one in Leipzig so they'll probably be OK. The SPD does have the most momentum in the East now though certainly in Brandenburg and Merkel's region of Mecklenburg Pomerania.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers:

I enjoyed Charlottesville when I visited for a while. Pedestrian areas, temperate weather, wineries, driving distance from DC and Dulles airport.
    You know, that's really not a stupid idea. (And very close to my friends Nick and Dani.)

Great for "unite the Right" rallies too.

Edit to add:
    The only problem with it is that it's two hours from Dulles. So, it's not great for someone who's going to be spending time flying around the US.
    If I had a choice where to live in the US I’d pick Summit NJ

Country living, good schools, nice amenities, short train into Penn if you want the NYC experience and close to Newark for work
  • Options

We're out:

The final flight carrying UK Armed Forces personnel has left Kabul. To all those who served so bravely under enormous pressure and horrendous conditions to safely evacuate the most vulnerable of civilians: Thank you.

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQPress/status/1431723759250120712?s=20

Let's hope they haven't left a couple of dogs behind by mistake.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ta!

He did say he could only find John O'Groats and Cumbrae.
    That's as close to Cornwall as he could get in the next couple of weeks.

Speaking of which...

Mrs P and I have a week in a Cornish cottage in mid-November, so I thought of booking a couple of restaurants now while it was on my mind. Even mid-week in November the Pig at Harlyn Bay and The Seafood Restaurant in Padstow have no mid-evening availablility - what's that about?

(Fortunately, we prefer eating early evenign anyway so no issue for us.)
  • Options
    F*cking, f*cking Macron. Twat.

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    20m
    INDEPENDENT DIGITAL: Half a million miss second AZ vaccine dose #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I rather like Cumbrae. It has this ridiculously tiny cathedral. It is also full of thirty something Glaswegians who take their young children there because they recall being taken there by their parents and enjoying it. And their parents took them there because they had enjoyed Cumbrae when they were young. Nobody is quite sure what it is about the place that engenders these fond memories, but I guess you don't need scale at that age. A bit of beach, some rock pools to explore and a short boat journey to get there is perfect.

Funnily enough a friend from England is now in a holiday let in John O Groats because they couldn't get anywhere else. Literally the last place anyone wants to go, it seems.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
    Not just the Times:

NEW: Thousands of emails to the foreign office from MPs and charities detailing urgent cases of Afghans trying to evacuate over the last week have not even been read, including cases flagged by the government’s own ministers, the @ObserverUK has been told.

https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/1431723865621868548?s=20
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Yes seems a lot of anti vaccine passport campaigners were harassing Trudeau and his supporters at the rally, though the Conservative leadership have distanced themselves from them

Everyone has a right to protest but to force the cancellation of an opposition party's rally doesn't sit well.

We'll see - Trudeau is fighting for his political life currently. His decision to go to the country looks ill-judged.
    He is, and it does.
    However, the Conservatives have moved ahead on the back of Trudeau's failings. Remarkably little has been heard from them, and their leader has the worst approval rating of the 4 main Party leaders. Their programme, and O'Toole, have yet to face scrutiny or debates. Right now they are gaining from not being Justin. They will be praying the significant Trumpian caucus don't keep popping up so voluably and frequently.
    It would be hilarious if we have a Justin May/Theresa Trudeau result.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    20m
    INDEPENDENT DIGITAL: Half a million miss second AZ vaccine dose #TomorrowsPapersToday

Er... How many of that half million Britons have even heard of Macron?
  • Options

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    20m

Er... How many of that half million Britons have even heard of Macron?
    He seeded the idea that AZ was a problem with blood clots and it has snowballed from there.
  • Options

Lucy Fisher
    @LOS_Fisher
    ·
    2h
    The backlash against Pen Farthing has grown increasingly bitter.

A minister today described Farthing as “truly odious” for publicly naming an MoD official & subjecting them to abuse

Minister said those battling to coordinate exodus from Kabul were “fed up to the teeth with him”
  • Options
    Jeremy Cliffe
    @JeremyCliffe
    ·
    1h
    🤯 🤯 🤯

INSA poll for Bild am Sonntag puts SPD on 24% and CDU/CSU on 21%, its worst ever result in an INSA poll and joint-worst poll result ever.

The stakes ahead of first TV debate between Scholz, Laschet and Baerbock tomorrow night could hardly be higher...
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    isam said:

The Sunday Times has a story on Stuart Dickson’s adopted homeland.

Children shot as they walk home, police officers cut down while on duty and gangs carrying out murders in broad daylight

Welcome to Sweden – Europe's unexpected gun crime hotspot

https://twitter.com/thesundaytimes/status/1431681384725286918

" The majority are from non-Swedish backgrounds — often born and raised in Sweden to foreign parents. Most live in what the state calls “vulnerable areas”, home to about 600,000 people.

“They grow up in a society where they don’t identify with their parents ... but they also don’t identify with Swedish society,” said Salihu. “It has been described to me as living in a state of limbo, where they live according to their own identity and culture that they have to find here in Sweden, and it becomes a form of gangster identity.”

In many cases, said Salihu, the young men come from homes where fathers are absent and mothers are unable to control them. Despite having lived in Sweden for decades, he said, many parents fear that they might have their children taken from them if they contact social services. Many are afraid of speaking to police because of a fear of retaliation — meaning some murders remain unsolved."

Multiculturalism fails in every country the experiment is tried?
    And people wonder why the Swedish Democrats are gaining so many votes.
  • Options
    Once again the Government’s judgment must be called into question. If Labour had allowed this man so much influence we know the response
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers:

I enjoyed Charlottesville when I visited for a while. Pedestrian areas, temperate weather, wineries, driving distance from DC and Dulles airport.
    You know, that's really not a stupid idea. (And very close to my friends Nick and Dani.)

Great for "unite the Right" rallies too.

Edit to add:
    The only problem with it is that it's two hours from Dulles. So, it's not great for someone who's going to be spending time flying around the US.
    If I had a choice where to live in the US I’d pick Summit NJ

Country living, good schools, nice amenities, short train into Penn if you want the NYC experience and close to Newark for work
    Italian friends who lived and worked there when I was at Ciba-Geigy/Novartis said "the main road into Summit starts with the cemetery and after that it gets less exciting", but that was 25 years ago - I expect it's come on?
  • Options
    Evening @MrEd
  • Options

Lucy Fisher
    @LOS_Fisher
    ·
    2h

A minister today described Farthing as “truly odious” for publicly naming an MoD official & subjecting them to abuse

Minister said those battling to coordinate exodus from Kabul were “fed up to the teeth with him”

Good.
  • Options
    Meanwhile New Orleans looks set to take a direct hit from Hurricane Ida. On the 16th anniversary of Katrina no less.
    Doubtless another thing which wouldn’t have happened under Trump.
  • Options
    YoungTurkYoungTurk Posts: 158
    edited August 2021
    HYUFD said:

YoungTurk said:

The victorious Afghan government is being remarkably helpy towards the evacuating ex-invaders at the end of the 20-year war: there has been no "General Jodl in the tent" moment for the internet age; no railway carriage signature; no public questioning of prisoners as occurred after the Bay of Pigs, let alone a brutal surge in the popular punishment of collaborators. Let's hope there is now a lasting peace.

It is not the Taliban who are the main problem, it is jihadi militants just as it was pre invasion in 2001.

It was IS terrorists who launched the attack on Kabul airport last week, not the Taliban
    I hope the Afghan government, which has never been a threat either to the US or Britain, can subdue Daesh, a group that did not exist in 2001 and is no ally of Al Qaeda, which did. The invaders were never going either to defeat government forces or to squash jihadism. The opposite is true.

Jihadism is largely funded by the despotic regimes of the Gulf, all of which have military arrangements with the US. It's not about religion much, except in the sense that one can say an ultraviolent gang structure with features of a death cult is in some sense religious. Tony Blair, who failed so dismally in Jerusalem, did not know what he was talking about when he spoke recently of jihadist triumphalism. Perhaps he's getting muddled up with the Crusades.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,658

Children shot as they walk home, police officers cut down while on duty and gangs carrying out murders in broad daylight

You're not supposed to mention this subject.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Lucy Fisher
    @LOS_Fisher
    ·
    2h

Good.
    Machine gun the animals on arrival. Pour encourager les autres
  • Options
    The Social Democrats are now ahead in the Germany polling averages.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundestagswahl_2021/Umfragen_und_Prognosen#Dynamische_Sonntagsfrage
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    IanB2 said:

Aslan said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers:

Asheville, NC. Honestly, it would suit you down to the ground. Don’t think twice, just go there. Thank me later.
    Asheville is a tiddly place. I am in Charlotte and it ticks all the boxes except the public transport one. But if you live in Uptown it's all walkable. Plus there's very little traffic and plenty of parking so cars work great too. It's also drivable to the mountains and the beach, it's a very clean city, and the people are very friendly.
    Aslan said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers:

Asheville, NC. Honestly, it would suit you down to the ground. Don’t think twice, just go there. Thank me later.
    Asheville is a tiddly place. I am in Charlotte and it ticks all the boxes except the public transport one. But if you live in Uptown it's all walkable. Plus there's very little traffic and plenty of parking so cars work great too. It's also drivable to the mountains and the beach, it's a very clean city, and the people are very friendly.
    Tiddly places are in, post pandemic. Do keep up…
    The guy wanted museums, culture and airport links. You won't get that in Asheville. Whereas in Charlotte you can be 15 minutes from an airport where security is a breeze to get through and the primary hub for a major airline. Plus plenty of culture, high and low. It has four professional sports teams and I just got back from a Van Gogh exhibit last week. I will also be grilling dinner outside on my deck well into October.
  • Options
    YoungTurkYoungTurk Posts: 158
    edited August 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Organised crime has been the biggest theme in much of popular literature ("noir") in Sweden for years, even if political discourse has mostly ignored it. Sweden is in any case a highly whackball country. Stuff like people sitting around the TV set eating the same dinner that the royal family consume at the annual Nobel prize event. And "lagom" - please can no-one mention that word to me.

Also rarely mentioned is the "Wallenberg grip" that all Swedes know about and will acknowledge if asked.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

“I will destroy you,” with added swear words. Extraordinary full tape of Pen Farthing threatening Ben Wallace’s aide warned over pet rescue from Afghanistan

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/4a851406-082a-11ec-ab20-2ce30c912e38?shareToken=5fb449c3b450f1af0bf465fe982e795c

This just gets worse and worse, suggestion that these animals might have to be put down due to disease when they arrive after they’ve deprived actual humans entitled to escape here of getting assistance to evacuate from the wrath of the Taliban 🤯 https://twitter.com/shippersunbound/status/1431713084826132487 https://twitter.com/VinnyMcAv/status/1431715683591655435/photo/1

There's an awful lot of MoD leaking over this - they really did not like being told to facilitate his exit. The implication appears to be that his (human) assistants were denied visas by the British, not the Taliban? If that's the case, I can understand his anger - but the whole story is a distraction from the main chaos::

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/28/revealed-foreign-office-ignored-pleas-help-afghans-mps-evacuation

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/28/a-thin-stretched-welcome-for-britains-new-afghan-arrivals
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I rather like Cumbrae. It has this ridiculously tiny cathedral. It is also full of thirty something Glaswegians who take their young children there because they recall being taken there by their parents and enjoying it. And their parents took them there because they had enjoyed Cumbrae when they were young. Nobody is quite sure what it is about the place that engenders these fond memories, but I guess you don't need scale at that age. A bit of beach, some rock pools to explore and a short boat journey to get there is perfect.

Funnily enough a friend from England is now in a holiday let in John O Groats because they couldn't get anywhere else. Literally the last place anyone wants to go, it seems.
    And it's a good distance for cycling round with relatively young kids. If you did it yourself it wouldn't take long, but as a family cycle it's about the perfect distance.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

He is, and it does.
    It would be hilarious if we have a Justin May/Theresa Trudeau result.
    Except Trudeau won a majority in 2015 unlike May, was re elected in 2019 and if he wins most seats again this year will likely stay in office until 2025. That would give him 10 years as PM which would be more Blair than May
  • Options
    Wrt German coalitions, it looks quite likely that both the Greens and the FDP will be involved. The question is whether the lead party will be the CDU/CSU or the Social Democrats.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Lucy Fisher
    @LOS_Fisher
    ·
    2h

Good.
    Carrie is in charge on this, they are more likely to get a red carpet arrival
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Leon said:

PB I NEED HELP

My older daughter, 15, is bored witless in London and wants an adventure before school begins, and she really wants to go to Scotland

There's very little available, but I've found two possibles. One is a sweet holiday let on Great Cumbrae island, in the Firth of Clyde, the other is a madder holiday let in John o Groats

The first is easier to do and sounds charming, in a quaint way, the second is harder but might broaden her mind. The big desolate landscapes of the north east tip of Scotland (which I have never seen)

Thoughts?

Caithness.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Lucy Fisher
    @LOS_Fisher
    ·
    2h

Good.
    Carrie is in charge on this, they are more likely to get a red carpet arrival
    They might be in the cabinet this time next week.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    YoungTurk said:

HYUFD said:

YoungTurk said:

The victorious Afghan government is being remarkably helpy towards the evacuating ex-invaders at the end of the 20-year war: there has been no "General Jodl in the tent" moment for the internet age; no railway carriage signature; no public questioning of prisoners as occurred after the Bay of Pigs, let alone a brutal surge in the popular punishment of collaborators. Let's hope there is now a lasting peace.

It is not the Taliban who are the main problem, it is jihadi militants just as it was pre invasion in 2001.

It was IS terrorists who launched the attack on Kabul airport last week, not the Taliban
    I hope the Afghan government, which has never been a threat either to the US or Britain, can subdue Daesh, a group that did not exist in 2001 and is no ally of Al Qaeda, which did. The invaders were never going either to defeat government forces or to squash jihadism. The opposite is true.

Jihadism is largely funded by the despotic regimes of the Gulf, all of which have military arrangements with the US. It's not about religion much, except in the sense that one can say an ultraviolent gang structure with features of a death cult is in some sense religious. Tony Blair, who failed so dismally in Jerusalem, did not know what he was talking about when he spoke recently of jihadist triumphalism. Perhaps he's getting muddled up with the Crusades.
    If not for the 2001 invasion Al Qaeda would still have training camps in Afghanistan and Bin Laden would still be alive in the Afghan mountains, not forced to Pakistan where US special forces killed him. Daesh emerged in Syria in a civil war against Assad, a conflict the US and UK did not send groundtroops into. The US and UK then launched airstrikes against Daesh in Syria and Iraq, cutting them back but their offshoot in Afghanistan is still around, hence it launched the suicide bombing last week.

Biden's withdrawal means the Daesh branch in Afghanistan will likely grow in strength

• Options
    YoungTurk said:

Andy_JS said:

Organised crime has been the biggest theme in much of popular literature ("noir") in Sweden for years, even if political discourse has mostly ignored it. Sweden is in any case a highly whackball country. Stuff like people sitting around the TV set eating the same dinner that the royal family consume at the annual Nobel prize event. And "lagom" - please can no-one mention that word to me.

Also rarely mentioned is the "Wallenberg grip" that all Swedes know about and will acknowledge if asked.
    What's the problem with "lagom" - essentially "everything in moderation"?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Wrt German coalitions, it looks quite likely that both the Greens and the FDP will be involved. The question is whether the lead party will be the CDU/CSU or the Social Democrats.

Personally I think another SPD Union grand coalition is likely, even with Scholz as chancellor rather than Laschet, with the Greens added on.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Unless it is carry on coalition time, of course. This time the SPD will be able to drive a harder bargain, mind. Whether they come 1st or 2nd. Scholz will have earned a major post surely?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

In fact, the SD is 8% down on its peak score (currently 20%), and like the rest of Scandinavia Sweden seems to be swinging left. It's striking how Sweden irritates conservatives in a way that Denmark and Norway don't...
  • Options
    stodge said:

Leon said:

Shhh… that was my plan. (Tip: Russia is gonna be desirable too in 100 years.)

My very first holiday, aged a few days old, was in Tongue, Sutherland, not far from Caithness.
  • Options

stodge said:

Leon said:

That’s Muckle Flugga.
  • Options

MrEd said:

In fact, the SD is 8% down on its peak score (currently 20%), and like the rest of Scandinavia Sweden seems to be swinging left. It's striking how Sweden irritates conservatives in a way that Denmark and Norway don't...
    Sweden is almost always left, since 1945 the Social Democrats have only been out of power for 15 years.

• Options
    Leon said:

PB I NEED HELP

My older daughter, 15, is bored witless in London and wants an adventure before school begins, and she really wants to go to Scotland

There's very little available, but I've found two possibles. One is a sweet holiday let on Great Cumbrae island, in the Firth of Clyde, the other is a madder holiday let in John o Groats

The first is easier to do and sounds charming, in a quaint way, the second is harder but might broaden her mind. The big desolate landscapes of the north east tip of Scotland (which I have never seen)

Thoughts?

John o Groats sounds a lot more exciting for a 15 year old.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

"John Simpson
    @JohnSimpsonNews

In the wake of the US retreat from Kabul, the angry, nationalistic Beijing ‘Global Times’ newspaper carries a ferocious warning to Pres Biden over Taiwan: ‘Whoever dares to cross China’s red line on the Taiwan question is seeking its own death.’ After Kabul, no more Mr Nice Guy.
    3:11 PM · Aug 28, 2021"

https://twitter.com/JohnSimpsonNews/status/1431620533993492482

I don't think that China will risk trying to subjugate Taiwan. There's so little to gain and so much to lose.

They can easily acquire a little bit of Afghanistan, and that'll give them more potential mineral wealth.
    Taiwan isn’t about money it’s about controlling entry to the South China Sea & the Chinese heartlands
    It's a tough nut for the Chinese to crack, mind.

Because they can't use nuclear weapons on a "rebellious province", and Chinese state TV is all about how the Taiwanese people love the PRC.

So, they have to invade, without taking massive casualties, across a pretty wide stretch of water, against an extremely well armed opponent.

And it's going to get harder as the Taiwanese are in the process of building eight nuclear powered attack submarines.

The only way to do it, IMHO, is for them to blockade the island, only allowing Chinese ships in-and-out, and demanding they submit. But even that's tough - it'd take a long time to force the Taiwanese into submission, and there's the risk that the Taiwanese start sinking Chinese ships. And if you do, you're essentially in an all out war situation.

I'm sure China could do it. They are a nuclear powered superpower, after all. But it'd be extremely expensive in terms of money, prestige and lives.
    Yes. It’s why they have focused on economic integration and political pressure
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

Once again the Government’s judgment must be called into question. If Labour had allowed this man so much influence we know the response

Voters like kittens and puppies, they do not like "forriners". Don't be surprised if this goes down well on the doorstep.

The point of populist governments is they do populist things, however irresponsible and immoral they appear.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

stodge said:

Leon said:

Shhh… that was my plan. (Tip: Russia is gonna be desirable too in 100 years.)

My very first holiday, aged a few days old, was in Tongue, Sutherland, not far from Caithness.
    I've only been to Caithness once, during the Barcelona olympics. The last holiday I went on with my parents as a teenager - I was 17. A road trip. First night in Brampton, second in Boat of Garten, third night in Thurso. (Partially inspired by the board game I keep feeling the need to hark on about, the Great Game of Britain - "You are tired of the crowds; go to Thurso and stay there for two turns.") I remember getting out of the car a few miles before John o Groats to take our first look towards the northernmost coast of Britain, then being driven back inside almost immediately by midges. John O Groats itself was rather charming, I thought - not a great deal there: a hotel, a lifeboat station, a signpost and a fine view over towards Orkney. Certainly more charming than its rather dignified counterpart at the end of Cornwall (just as JoG is not the most northerly point on the British mainland, LE is not the most southerly, nor even the most westerly. Our cardinal extremities play rather second fiddle.) We had a curry in Thurso, (which I was later delighted to see decribed by Bill Bryson in Notes from a Small Island) and played golf at, I think, Thurso golf club - one of my very few forays into golf, and memorable largely for the view north, which came and went regularly as the weather changed.
    After that we went on round the top right hand corner of Scotland to Ullapool (where we ate at the Ceilidh Place, where Dominic Cummings recently hit the news), before getting the ferry over to Stornoway, staying a few nights on Lewis, then Grimsay, South Uist and Barra, then a couple of nights on Arran on the way home. Very happy memories indeed. I'd love to go back one day.
  • Options

Voters like kittens and puppies, they do not like "forriners". Don't be surprised if this goes down well on the doorstep.

The point of populist governments is they do populist things, however irresponsible and immoral they appear.
    That's amusing because the people who'd been sharing this guys Tweets here were people like Scott etc that are no fans of the Government and tend to swim in FBPE circles.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

PB I NEED HELP

Thoughts?

I spent several wonderful holidays in and around JoG as a child and thoroughly recommend it. Landscape may be flat, but the coastal scenery at Duncansby Head is stunning. Ideally hire a bicycle for trips further afield or use a car for Dunnet Bay/ lighthouse, Castle of May, Whaligoe Steos etc. There had been a lot of small scale local heritage sites set up locally in recent years. Day trips to the Orkneys are also possible, and as for the seafood, well it speaks for itself.
  • Options
    Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Make sure you see the Italian Chapel on the way.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

PB I NEED HELP

Thoughts?

I spent several wonderful holidays in and around JoG as a child and thoroughly recommend it. Landscape may be flat, but the coastal scenery at Duncansby Head is stunning. Ideally hire a bicycle for trips further afield or use a car for Dunnet Bay/ lighthouse, Castle of May, Whaligoe Steos etc. There had been a lot of small scale local heritage sites set up locally in recent years. Day trips to the Orkneys are also possible, and as for the seafood, well it speaks for itself.
    More outdoors walks here

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/sutherland/caithness.shtml
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/RjWWTTMj0xw

Like Tony Stark in real life
  • Options
    I respect people who choose to live modestly despite having the means to live more luxuriously. Of course there is the problem of knowing whether someone who claims to live modestly really does so.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

He was not impressed

Yes, Fford Pen Llech.

Amazingly, route 82 goes round the back of it instead of up it. But I went down the main A-road to the station instead as I was fed up with all those bloody hills.

Even there going past Theatr Ardudwy I clocked 39 mph on the bike. I was actually gaining on the BMW behind me, which he seemed not to relish.
    That was a waste - you were effectively at at the summit there, then threw it all away in a big bang down past the Theater.
    If you'd gone through the town centre, you get a much longer shallower decent where you can rocket along in top gear reaping the benefits.

(I grew up round there, cycling those roads because I had to. When I was in 6th form, I used to cycle every day (wind/sun/snow) from what had been Arenig Station on the Bala/Ffestiniog route over the summit to Llan Ffestiniog and then down to Penrhyndeudraeth, as I was in the wrong 6th form for my catchment area, and could only get a bus as far as Arenig)
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    edited August 2021
    sarissa said:

sarissa said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

PB I NEED HELP

Thoughts?

More outdoors walks here

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/sutherland/caithness.shtml
    You'd probably like the island of Stroma in the Pentland Firth, if you can get there. The villages were abandoned in the early 60s and just left as was. Not quite the heritage or cliff height of St Kilda, but still interesting in a post-viral apocalypse way.

The whole of the N and E coastlines are full of interest although I have to admit to preferring the Cape Wrath / Durness end to JoG.

Gold panning at the site of the Sutherland Gold Rush at Kildonan is also worth a laugh - although don't expect to get rich...

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    On topic, Tories are expected to have big houses with swimming pools that they fill with money and swim around in, it's already part of their brand. As long as he's not paying for it with wads of cash that he snuck out of the Bank of England I think he'll be OK.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Justin Trudeau must be wishing he could change his decision to call an election.

The opposition have registered leads in 13 of the 15 most recent polls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2021_Canadian_federal_election#Campaign_period
  • Options
    The front pages are not encouraging for our beleaguered Foreign Secretary. The Sunday Times and Observer report that the FCO ignored emails from charities and MPs urging help for Afghans.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-58372596
  • Options
    The Sun tips Michael Gove to replace Dominic Raab as Foreign Secretary, suggesting Boris can sell it to Raab as becoming de facto Deputy PM, and making it harder for Gove to plot against him. Though the Sun also notes that Gove was previously tipped to replace Priti Patel as Home Secretary.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15994444/michael-gove-tipped-for-job-swap-with-dominic-raab/
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    theProle said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

He was not impressed

Yes, Fford Pen Llech.

That was a waste - you were effectively at at the summit there, then threw it all away in a big bang down past the Theater.
    If you'd gone through the town centre, you get a much longer shallower decent where you can rocket along in top gear reaping the benefits.

(I grew up round there, cycling those roads because I had to. When I was in 6th form, I used to cycle every day (wind/sun/snow) from what had been Arenig Station on the Bala/Ffestiniog route over the summit to Llan Ffestiniog and then down to Penrhyndeudraeth, as I was in the wrong 6th form for my catchment area, and could only get a bus as far as Arenig)
    I was heading for the station at the time!

Mind, I was sorry to miss going through Harlech, of which I am very fond.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283

This thread has gone for a swim

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    Leon said:

Cumbrae is lovely
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    HYUFD said:

Toms said:

Stodge said "When global warming renders the Med uninhabitable..."

Life here might be interesting if the Gulf Stream flips somewhere. I understand it's running at a low ebb just now. Although it has made life liveable for millennia especially along the west coast of Scotland, but it is probably governed by chaotic processes and with the vast quantities of ice melt it might be vulnerable.

Summers in Scotland would still be bearable though rather than the 40 degrees celsius you might have in the Med.

It would be the winters in Scotland which would become unbearable without the Gulf Stream, even several degrees colder than now. So you might end up having summers in Scotland and winters in the Med
    Rubbish, it is not even cold in winter nowadays. Compared to when I was a boy , we get very little frost now, minimum if any snow but wetter. Not nearly as nice as it used to be. I think last year we were lucky to be minus a few times at best.
This discussion has been closed.