Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Let them eat cake – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,990

Never a dull moment in Scotland...

"SCOTLAND'S coal carrying championship has been held after a five-year hiatus.

Men, women and children competed in a series of races to carry coal sacks for a kilometre through the Fife village of Kelty."

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19544588.kelty-coal-carrying-championship-returns-five-years/

I think next year’s march should be through Glasgow Kelvin.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,788

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Not a good look from Starmer. Cameron was not afraid to give Boris a speaking slot, Brown was not afraid to give David Miliband a speaking slot, nor was Major afraid to give Portillo and Heseltine speaking slots even though they were potential future leadership rivals and good speakers who could have overshadowed them
    How could you refuse to give your *cabinet ministers* a slot and retain any credibility at all?

Cameron and Johnson I will give you, but that is also a little different. Johnson winning London was the harbinger that the Tories could - and would - win again. Burnham winning Manchester isn’t in quite the smae league.
    I saw Johnson speak at Tory Conference as London Mayor, not as a Cabinet Minister.

It was besides Cameron's own speech easily the most hotly anticipated speech of the entire Conference. Even more than Chancellor Osborne or anyone else.

Its a part of the reason why I never ruled out the idea he could become party leader and PM.

There's no reason that Burnham and Sadiq Khan couldn't or shouldn't have their own speeches.
    If BoJo had made this call you'd be here praising him
    Why? Support that claim please, because its more bovine manure from my creepy stalker.

When you have nothing to say you just respond with "if the shoe was on the other foot" with no evidence for that whatsoever.
    You really should ask for a raise from CCHQ Philip.

It doesn't matter what BoJo says or does, you are here to tell us how great he is
    If you are serious with that thesis, you should be recommending that they replace him with a bot. Much more economical. And 24/7.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Not a good look from Starmer. Cameron was not afraid to give Boris a speaking slot, Brown was not afraid to give David Miliband a speaking slot, nor was Major afraid to give Portillo and Heseltine speaking slots even though they were potential future leadership rivals and good speakers who could have overshadowed them
    How could you refuse to give your *cabinet ministers* a slot and retain any credibility at all?

Cameron and Johnson I will give you, but that is also a little different. Johnson winning London was the harbinger that the Tories could - and would - win again. Burnham winning Manchester isn’t in quite the smae league.
    I saw Johnson speak at Tory Conference as London Mayor, not as a Cabinet Minister.

It was besides Cameron's own speech easily the most hotly anticipated speech of the entire Conference. Even more than Chancellor Osborne or anyone else.

Its a part of the reason why I never ruled out the idea he could become party leader and PM.

There's no reason that Burnham and Sadiq Khan couldn't or shouldn't have their own speeches.
    Why? Support that claim please, because its more bovine manure from my creepy stalker.

When you have nothing to say you just respond with "if the shoe was on the other foot" with no evidence for that whatsoever.

It doesn't matter what BoJo says or does, you are here to tell us how great he is
    That's bullshit. I very frequently write here to say I disagree with Boris.

I only say he's great when he's great. So yes that can be a lot of the time but only because he's a great PM. 😉
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,356
    edited August 2021

James O'Brien
    @mrjamesob
    ·
    2h
    Just opened a packet of paracetamol. Or ‘a new hospital’ as Sajid Javid would call it.

Well, made me :lol:

Why he is cnut. Why would anyone listen to that man about anything. His ego is massively overinflated
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265

32,406 cases, 133 deaths

Cases down in England (for now...)

That's not down. It's up although only just.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9935839/Coronavirus-cases-rise-just-1-1-week-32-406-daily-deaths-jump-29-133.html

ZOE have the current figure at around 54,000 a week

And after the various superspreader festivals this weekend you know which way this is heading (for now).
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    Off-topic:

An old uni friend of mine has just won his second consecutive race in the Nascar Whelen Euro Series. He's been racing cars since we were at uni together, thirty years ago, and it's great to see him making some progress in even a relatively minor international series.

Annoyingly, we had the idea for Wikipedia seven years before wikipedia, but didn't progress the idea beyond idle talk. That's why I'll never be an entrepreneur ...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2021
    rcs1000 said:

PBers:

I'm finding LA difficult for a business that's increasingly all over the US. And it's on a terrible time zone for communications with the UK. My wife also hates driving in Los Angeles, and would rather be somewhere more walkable.

So, we're looking around the US for somewhere:

(1) With acceptable weather (which counts Boston and Chicago out)
    (2) With good public transport, and where one doesn't have to jump in the car *all* *the* *time*.
    (3) That has really good transport links (both to the UK and across the US)
    (4) That is on EST or CET
    (5) That has decent restaurants, museums, etc.

Any thoughts? We're thinking of the DC area, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

North Carolina? Charlotte? Raleigh–Durham–Cary?

Obviously all the tech bros are heading to Florida....which doesn't meet many of requirements.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited August 2021
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

If you are serious with that thesis, you should be recommending that they replace him with a bot. Much more economical. And 24/7.
    I 100% agree they should, I'd be happy to help.

for (let i = 0; i < 86400; i++) {
    forum.post("Boris is great!");
    }

(Literally what he posted above, lol)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

I find this hard to get excited about. Rich people gonna rich. And create employment for Yorkshire's (?) swimming pool industry.

Yeah. Basically, the Labour MPs and TSE are saying no Conservative MP should spend any money on anything someone can stretch to describe as luxury spending, ever. Only Tory-haters are going to gobble that up.
    I'm not saying that, I hate the politics of envy, is why I can never be a leftie.

It's the toxic mix of giving pensioners an 8% increase and cutting UC for the poorest in society.

There's many Tory MPs who have gone on the record to oppose the UC cut, this is going to get messy for Sunak.
    Pensioners won't get their 8% though. Sunak isn't an idiot, he will find a fudge so they get 3% just like the NHS.
    A betting market on this would be interesting. I think it is more likely pensioners get the 8% than most on here.
    I will be upset if I don't get my 8%.
    You better hope Scotland never goes Indy then.
    Thanks. We almost made it an entire page without it being mentioned. :smiley:
    The morning thread is on Scotland.

It is the first of five Scotland threads I plan to publish on Scotland during Mike's holiday.
    I hope you have a nice sturdy tin helmet ready to protect yourself from ballistic turnips.
    The morning thread requires no tin helmet or body armour.

I suspect the one about an independent Scotland, the currency, and the role of the Bank of England may attract turnips.
    Ooh when is that coming out? I've been working on a piece along those lines that I was going to submit to you. I even wrote to the Bank of England in order to get confirmation on a part of the piece to make sure it was accurate.

If yours is not on the same subject as mine, I'll submit it to you still in case you're interested in publishing it.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

I find this hard to get excited about. Rich people gonna rich. And create employment for Yorkshire's (?) swimming pool industry.

Yeah. Basically, the Labour MPs and TSE are saying no Conservative MP should spend any money on anything someone can stretch to describe as luxury spending, ever. Only Tory-haters are going to gobble that up.
    I'm not saying that, I hate the politics of envy, is why I can never be a leftie.

It's the toxic mix of giving pensioners an 8% increase and cutting UC for the poorest in society.

There's many Tory MPs who have gone on the record to oppose the UC cut, this is going to get messy for Sunak.
    Pensioners won't get their 8% though. Sunak isn't an idiot, he will find a fudge so they get 3% just like the NHS.
    A betting market on this would be interesting. I think it is more likely pensioners get the 8% than most on here.

It is the first of five Scotland threads I plan to publish on Scotland during Mike's holiday.
    I hope you have a nice sturdy tin helmet ready to protect yourself from ballistic turnips.

I suspect the one about an independent Scotland, the currency, and the role of the Bank of England may attract turnips.
    Ooh when is that coming out? I've been working on a piece along those lines that I was going to submit to you. I even wrote to the Bank of England in order to get confirmation on a part of the piece to make sure it was accurate.

If yours is not on the same subject as mine, I'll submit it to you still in case you're interested in publishing it.
    Send yours in, I can rework mine, my BoE piece isn't BoE heavy.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

It is the first of five Scotland threads I plan to publish about Scotland during Mike's holiday.
    Before the F1 excitement I spent a glorious three hours walking down Fraserburgh beach, through Cairnbulg where the east coast becomes the north coast, then down the beach to St Combs before returning along the old railway line back to the Broch. 10 miles of glorious sunshine, almost entirely deserted beaches, zero midges.

Perhaps there needs to be a thread about why the English tourists all go to Loch Lomond, Skye and the NC500. Aberdeenshire is glorious, more so by not being full of meandering tourists in oversized camper vans.
    (Incl. Banff and Buchan.) And Moray and Nairn. But hush, don't let on.
    I love Elgin and Morayshire. Lovely country, nice smallish towns, some decent hills, excellent distilleries, its hard to beat.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Never a dull moment in Scotland...

"SCOTLAND'S coal carrying championship has been held after a five-year hiatus.

Men, women and children competed in a series of races to carry coal sacks for a kilometre through the Fife village of Kelty."

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19544588.kelty-coal-carrying-championship-returns-five-years/

Coal? Don't mention to the Scottish Greens, they'll do their nut in.
    Nuts? They’re almost as environmentally unfriendly as oil.

Proper greens eat grass.
    Proper greens smoke grass.
    Fixed it for you.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

It is the first of five Scotland threads I plan to publish about Scotland during Mike's holiday.
    Before the F1 excitement I spent a glorious three hours walking down Fraserburgh beach, through Cairnbulg where the east coast becomes the north coast, then down the beach to St Combs before returning along the old railway line back to the Broch. 10 miles of glorious sunshine, almost entirely deserted beaches, zero midges.

Perhaps there needs to be a thread about why the English tourists all go to Loch Lomond, Skye and the NC500. Aberdeenshire is glorious, more so by not being full of meandering tourists in oversized camper vans.
    Are you and Mrs RP going to be running a BandB or did that idea not take off?
    Interesting! That was never even considered. You may have me confused with another poster m'lord
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2021

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

}

You're projecting your own foibles here.

You segued neatly from "Corbyn is great" to "Starmer is great" and "point and laugh at those stupid Corbynistas".

I've very vocally criticised 'my own party' including Boris and even voted against it on principle when I was vocally opposing it. I've opposed Boris at least a double times since he became PM. Can you say the same? Have you criticised your party leader remotely as often as I've criticised mine?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

Send yours in, I can rework mine, my BoE piece isn't BoE heavy.
    Will do.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427
    pigeon said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

Oh the humanity!
    I think you mean

• Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

And the odd Swede as well.
    Doesn’t sound as though he will be attracted to it. Repelled, more like.
    Still got the makings of a good scotch broth.
    Turnips for lamb stew - swedes for the broth (or potato soup, with shank of lamb), I think.
    Celeriac puree for the amuse bouche.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

}

You segued neatly from "Corbyn is great" to "Starmer is great" and "point and laugh at those stupid Corbynistas".

I've very vocally criticised 'my own party' including Boris and even voted against it on principle when I was vocally opposing it. I've opposed Boris at least a double times since he became PM. Can you say the same? Have you criticised your party leader remotely as often as I've criticised mine?
    You don't ever criticise Johnson at all, what a load of rubbish.

I think Corbyn would have been a better PM than Johnson and I stand by that - although since the EHRC investigation I've said on many occasions I do regret having supporting him for the leadership.

When I get things wrong, I say so, I hold my hands up. Unlike you where it's always the case that you're right and that BoJo and the Tories are amazing.

Like I said, they really should give you a pay rise, you do a superb job
  • Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's a beautiful and relatively unappreciated stretch of coast IMO - a bit like the Lleyn peninsular in Wales. Tourists flock like Lemmings to certain places, leaving other spectacular areas nearby relatively empty.

I once stayed in lighthouse cottages at Rattray Head. Inside, there was a collection of poetry by a local poet, along with a dictionary of the local Buchan dialect, to help you understand it.
    Now that was a mental lighthouse. Your cottage is remote enough down 4x4 only tracks. Then it's a meandering walk through the dunes onto that glorious beach. With a low tide only causeway to access the lighthouse in the sea.

This part of Aberdeenshire has such contrasts. It's almost continuous east coach beach and dunes from Aberdeen to Peterhead then onwards to Fraserburgh. Then the north coast is craggy
    cliffs with villages clinging to the clifftops or nestled between the shoreline and the cliff face. Sweeping farm land in this corner, with the Grampians inland.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

(Incl. Banff and Buchan.) And Moray and Nairn. But hush, don't let on.
    I love Elgin and Morayshire. Lovely country, nice smallish towns, some decent hills, excellent distilleries, its hard to beat.
    Moray is lovely.i have been there!
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

pigeon said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

Oh the humanity!
    I think you mean

A thread about manatees would certainly be less likely to generate irrational anger. Not sure where the betting dimension would be found, mind you.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Covid bumping steadily along, not growing ("exponentially"). Mainly delta. Could it be that the delta strain has a shorter initial unsymptomatic phase pulling R down to 1?

Just conjecture.

It is entirely correct that the asymptomatic period for Delta is shorter than for original and earlier variants. The good news about that, is that it means there is less of a lag between changes in policy and changes in case numbers. (That 10 to 14 day lag earlier in the pandemic resulted in lots of gross stupidity by members of the punditry.)

That being said, the big problem with Delta is that those infected exhibit extremely high levels of viral shedding - up to 1,000x more than with Alpha. It therefore has the ability to break through vaccines (the more of a dose of Covid you get, the less warning your immune system has), and it also spreads much more quickly.

A school with one pupil with Alpha means they might be putting out a viral load of 1. If they have 20 students with Delta, that's a viral load of 20,000 that's being distributed around.

That's going to result in very, very few unvaccinated people avoiding Delta. And it's going to mean those people who do get it (especially if they are older) are more likely to get very sick. (Viral load matters, kids!)

The good news is that most people who've had the vaccine, so long as they get only a small dose of Delta, will end up with only a bit of the sniffles (or hopefully entirely asymptomatic), and it will have been merely a booster shot. And therefore we can also look forward to Delta burning out quickly, as it simply infects so many people, so quickly.

My gut is that September and October are going to be a little ugly, and that the government will end up regretting not using the ample vaccine resources the UK has. Really, given the extreme infectiousness of Delta, those who got the mRNA vaccines should be getting an AZ booster, while those that got AZ should get a Moderna/Pfizer one. Likewise, kids should get vaccinated. Even if Delta isn't going to kill them, the vaccine dramatically reduce the amount of time they are infectious to others, protecting other members of the community.
    I mostly agree with the above. But would this be a good moment to remind you of your previous prediction about case numbers by the end of August?

--AS
    There's an interesting piece in this week's Spectator from Israel, looking at the situation there and the plans for third dose booster. One of the policy types involves says the country is doing the world a favour by testing the idea.
    That's probably true, but I will say that Israel's data has been pretty mixed (in terms of accuracy) to date. Early in the pandemic we saw several releases that suggested rather contradictory things (near-perfect protection against infection, vs not; near-perfect protection against death, vs not; waning infection -- I haven't yet seen one that contradicts that, but wouldn't be surprised). They seemed rather poorly-controlled cohort studies. I think their surveillance is not as good as ours and I'm going to be skeptical of their outcomes until confirmed elsewhere.

--AS
    The other big problem with Israel's data is that because (like most places) your age strongly correlates with when you got the vaccine.

So - is it your weaker immune system that is the problem? Or is it waning efficacy?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

PBers:

I'm finding LA difficult for a business that's increasingly all over the US. And it's on a terrible time zone for communications with the UK. My wife also hates driving in Los Angeles, and would rather be somewhere more walkable.

(2) With good public transport, and where one doesn't have to jump in the car *all* *the* *time*.

Any thoughts? We're thinking of the DC area, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Obviously all the tech bros are heading to Florida....which doesn't meet many of requirements.
    Good thinking: definitely well worth a visit.
  • Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

You will have passed within 100 metres of my son’s house in Inverallochy. We have found it very noticeable in our caravan tours this year that as caravanners we have been in the minority on the West Coast but in the majority on the East Coast.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers:

Good thinking: definitely well worth a visit.
    If you are going for a visit round those parts, I highly recommend a visit to a town called Asheville. Cool funky town, with surprisingly amount of arts stuff, food etc and very close to the Blue Ridge Mountains.

In the past I have been there a number of times just to chill out for a few weeks of R&R in a cabin, while then been able to potter into town and find a cool restaurant or micro-brewery.

IMO, I would say Atlanta is a hard no for a place to live, traffic is as bad as LA, downtown is weird. And all those Mid west cities like Kansas, Indianapolis, St Louis etc aren't places I would choose to live.

I haven't spent enough time in Nashville to have an opinion.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629
    A US Army vet died from gallstone pancreatitis because ICU beds are full of COVID19 patients.

Per the ER doc, the needed procedure would have taken 30min, and he'd have been back out the door.

"I've never lost a patient from this diagnosis, ever.”

https://twitter.com/NatashaBhuyan/status/1431635523559309314
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    rcs1000 said:

PBers:

I enjoyed Charlottesville when I visited for a while. Pedestrian areas, temperate weather, wineries, driving distance from DC and Dulles airport.
  • Options

Off-topic:

An old uni friend of mine has just won his second consecutive race in the Nascar Whelen Euro Series. He's been racing cars since we were at uni together, thirty years ago, and it's great to see him making some progress in even a relatively minor international series.

Annoyingly, we had the idea for Wikipedia seven years before wikipedia, but didn't progress the idea beyond idle talk. That's why I'll never be an entrepreneur ...

Oh. I had the idea for Betfair in 1994 and never progressed the idea.

I've had many, many brilliant business ideas. (And quite a few really dumb ones.)

And I've only pursued a couple of them.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

}

You don't ever criticise Johnson at all, what a load of rubbish.

I think Corbyn would have been a better PM than Johnson and I stand by that - although since the EHRC investigation I've said on many occasions I do regret having supporting him for the leadership.

When I get things wrong, I say so, I hold my hands up. Unlike you where it's always the case that you're right and that BoJo and the Tories are amazing.

Like I said, they really should give you a pay rise, you do a superb job
    If you believe this then lets make a bet. Within a week I could find at least a dozen separate times I've criticised Boris in the past. If so, you apologise and donate £50 to the charity of my choice. If I can't, I will donate £50 to the charity of your choice.

What say you? Do you have the balls to stand behind this nonsense?

PS if I always thought the Tories were amazing why would I vote against them in 2019?
  • Options
    edited August 2021

rcs1000 said:

PBers:

I enjoyed Charlottesville when I visited for a while. Pedestrian areas, temperate weather, wineries, driving distance from DC and Dulles airport.
    You know, that's really not a stupid idea. (And very close to my friends Nick and Dani.)

Great for "unite the Right" rallies too.

Edit to add:
    The only problem with it is that it's two hours from Dulles. So, it's not great for someone who's going to be spending time flying around the US.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    Battle joined. The Unwoke versus the Woke.

a group of British, Irish, American, Canadian and Australian historians have formed a group called History Reclaimed to employ reason and scholarship against divisive distortions of history.

Robert Tombs https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/-wokeness-and-the-collapse-of-intellectual-freedom-in-the-west
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's a beautiful and relatively unappreciated stretch of coast IMO - a bit like the Lleyn peninsular in Wales. Tourists flock like Lemmings to certain places, leaving other spectacular areas nearby relatively empty.

I once stayed in lighthouse cottages at Rattray Head. Inside, there was a collection of poetry by a local poet, along with a dictionary of the local Buchan dialect, to help you understand it.
    Now that was a mental lighthouse. Your cottage is remote enough down 4x4 only tracks. Then it's a meandering walk through the dunes onto that glorious beach. With a low tide only causeway to access the lighthouse in the sea.

This part of Aberdeenshire has such contrasts. It's almost continuous east coach beach and dunes from Aberdeen to Peterhead then onwards to Fraserburgh. Then the north coast is craggy
    cliffs with villages clinging to the clifftops or nestled between the shoreline and the cliff face. Sweeping farm land in this corner, with the Grampians inland.
    My family came from Aberdeenshire. Very much inland from what you describe. I doubt they knew the sea.

A dark and difficult place. There was little looking back.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    edited August 2021
    Bet you're gagging for some Extinction Rebellion street theatre now, ain't you? Or just gagging.

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1431555440740085763?s=20

• Options
    edited August 2021

rcs1000 said:

PBers:

I have really enjoy spending time in Virginia, Kentucky and the Carolinas. Not places loads of people from the UK flock to, but the towns often have a nice charm to them and a lot more going on than I think people realise.

Its normally around this time of year I head over to the US for a few weeks. I could really do with a couple of weeks in a nice cabin in the woods (with all the mods cons and hot tub obvs) :-(
  • Options
    edited August 2021

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

If any PBers are in the North East (no, not that one @Gallowgate) I recommend the walk from Gardenstown (pronounced Gamerie) to Crovie (pronounced Crivvie).
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Bet you're gagging for some Extinction Rebellion street theatre now, ain't you? Or just gagging.

I'm just happy twitter mutes these videos by default.
  • Options

If they are pulling stupid stunts like this is must be as bad as that Cats movie was supposed to be!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,682
    geoffw said:

a group of British, Irish, American, Canadian and Australian historians have formed a group called History Reclaimed to employ reason and scholarship against divisive distortions of history.

Robert Tombs https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/-wokeness-and-the-collapse-of-intellectual-freedom-in-the-west

Honestly, who cares?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Anything that fights wokeness has to be a good thing.
  • Options

geoffw said:

Honestly, who cares?
    They do? It certainly is easy to be apathetic, however.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956

I had some happy times in the Broch.

It's amazing how many Gray Adams trailers you see on the roads
  • Options
    I read the thread header and was ready to post a polemic against Rishi. You’re all too civilised for a rant. However, for the people, mostly working, and many in jobs that would have been done by Eastern Europeans pre Brexit, the 20% increase will have helped them feed their families a bit better, and had a less miserable life. Thank goodness that schools will be back when it is reduced, so that the kids can get fed at school.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

I hope someone has warned HYFUD to make sure his laptop is fully charged and his tank has plenty of fuel.
    I am out most of tomorrow, though given this Tory government will refuse an indyref2 for the rest of its time in power all Scottish independence threads are entirely hypothetical if and until we get a Labour government reliant on SNP confidence and supply
  • Options
    NEW: Pen Farthing is said to have told an adviser to the Defence Secretary “I am going to destroy you” in a threatening voicemail.

h/t Steve Bird in @Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/08/28/pen-farthing-said-have-left-voicemail-ben-wallaces-adviser-going/
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: Pen Farthing is said to have told an adviser to the Defence Secretary “I am going to destroy you” in a threatening voicemail.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/08/28/pen-farthing-said-have-left-voicemail-ben-wallaces-adviser-going/

Can someone explain why the pets needed evacuating. Do Afghans not keep them or something?
  • Options
    pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Burnham has spent the last many weeks publicly undermining Starmer. He should challenge him for the leadership if he thinks he is so rubbish
    Burnham will likely stand for Parliament at the next general election.

If Starmer loses and does not resign I expect Burnham would challenge him for the Labour leadership then
    The next mayoral election isn't due until 2024. Are you suggesting that he would resign from office early to seek a return to Parliament?
    If there was a general election before 2024 and the chance to be Labour leader certainly.

Boris of course stood for Parliament before his term was up in 2015 and did not run again but he would have handed over to the Deputy Mayor if he could not have held both posts
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284
    edited August 2021
    rcs1000 said:

PBers:

Asheville, NC. Honestly, it would suit you down to the ground. Don’t think twice, just go there. Thank me later.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

I hope someone has warned HYFUD to make sure his laptop is fully charged and his tank has plenty of fuel.
    I am out most of tomorrow, though given this Tory government will refuse an indyref2 for the rest of its time in power all Scottish independence threads are entirely hypothetical if and until we get a Labour government reliant on SNP confidence and supply
    Not posting that exact point 20 times tomorrow means that the Union cause is seriously weakened.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That's Farthing having his tuppenceworth.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited August 2021
    rcs1000 said:

PBers:

Not sure there’s anywhere that meets all your wants: weather is going to be the hardest as pretty much all the NE from DC upwards has hot humid summers and cold, sometimes severe, winters. South of DC in EST-land you’re still going to get nasty summers plus more exposure to hurricanes etc, plus the further South you go, the more of a cultural wasteland it becomes, unless you like country and western…

I mean, I personally love NYC, but it is full-on, and the Subway is efficient but a rolling biohazard, and I suspect if it was on your radar you’d’ve mentioned it.

How about Philadelphia? Yeah, it has hot humid summers, but the winters aren't usually too bad. Has great culture with the UPenn museums, the Art Museum (better than the Met in NYC IMO), Independence Hall. Buzzing music scene. Center City is super-walkable except in high summer. Great (if expensive) housing stock with the classic row houses. SEPTA (public transport) is pretty decent by American standards though not of NYC/Chicago calibre, plus you’d be close to DC and NYC by Acela high-speed train. Oh and the food scene is banging: best on the East Coast that I’ve experienced, although due to PA’s bizarre liquour laws most places are BYOB.

Now, parts of Philly are indeed pretty grim, especially North Philly and Kensington, but even West Philly around the Penn campus is super-gentrified, and the area around South Street is pretty decent and has great restos. Center City itself is super safe but expensive.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

So you won’t be commenting on any of @TSE’s Scottish posts?
    P.S. enjoy your day tomorrow. We’re having family for lunch, so won’t be on here much tomorrow, either.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567

BoJo takes a stand and kicks out MPs who speak against him

Praise

Starmer takes a stand and stops speeches from MPs who speak against him

Criticism

WhY IS StARMer SuCh A WEaK LEAder

Is this Starmer? Didn't some Corbynites get elected to organise the conference?
    I thought Mr Starmer now had support of a majority on the NEC?

Off topic: just had the first kg of blackberries in from the garden this year. The Himalayan Giant has gone berserk.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    edited August 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Threatening to make political trouble for a politician is threatening, yes.
    But not in any commonly understood way is it a "threatening voicemail."
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Scott_xP said:

Was he not demonetised in 1960?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

How about Philadelphia? Yeah, it has hot humid summers, but the winters aren't usually too bad. Has great culture with the UPenn museums, the Art Museum (better than the Met in NYC IMO), Independence Hall. Buzzing music scene. Center City is super-walkable except in high summer. Great (if expensive) housing stock with the classic row houses. SEPTA (public transport) is pretty decent by American standards though not of NYC/Chicago calibre, plus you’d be close to DC and NYC by Acela high-speed train. Oh and the food scene is banging: best on the East Coast that I’ve experienced, although due to PA’s bizarre liquour laws most places are BYOB.

Now, parts of Philly are indeed pretty grim, especially North Philly and Kensington, but even West Philly around the Penn campus is super-gentrified, and the area around South Street is pretty decent and has great restos. Center City itself is super safe but expensive.

Another vote for Philly
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    rpjs said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers:

Not sure there’s anywhere that meets all your wants: weather is going to be the hardest as pretty much all the NE from DC upwards has hot humid summers and cold, sometimes severe, winters. South of DC in EST-land you’re still going to get nasty summers plus more exposure to hurricanes etc, plus the further South you go, the more of a cultural wasteland it becomes, unless you like country and western…

I mean, I personally love NYC, but it is full-on, and the Subway is efficient but a rolling biohazard, and I suspect if it was on your radar you’d’ve mentioned it.

@rcs1000 how about Austin? I appreciate you might not like Abbott but it probably fits a lot of your criteria.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

I only say he's great when he's great. So yes that can be a lot of the time but only because he's a great PM. 😉
    No he's not.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,682
    edited August 2021
    geoffw said:

Scott_xP said:

... to coin a phrase.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

No he's not.
    Well that settles that.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,262
    edited August 2021
    geoffw said:

Robert Tombs is a fine historian but is very eccentric. His determination to be right wing compared to everyone around him is part of his eccentricity.

I wonder if John Charmley is involved. Another who is to put it mildly an individualist and very anti-woke (he formed a whole new church led by himself when the Church of England ordained women priests) but I always got on very well with him on a personal level.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

No he's not.
    Well that settles that.
    I thought so. Anyway are the Afghan puppies and kittens home yet?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers:

Asheville, NC. Honestly, it would suit you down to the ground. Don’t think twice, just go there. Thank me later.
    Great minds and all that.....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    geoffw said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he on his bike yet?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

P.S. enjoy your day tomorrow. We’re having family for lunch, so won’t be on here much tomorrow, either.
    Have a good day too, if TSE really wanted lots of comments on his Scottish post it would probably have been better not to post it on the Sunday of an August Bank Holiday weekend
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

Have a good day too, if TSE really wanted lots of comments on his Scottish post it would probably have been better not to post it on the Sunday of an August Bank Holiday weekend
    Although not a holiday in Scotland.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers:

Asheville is a tiddly place. I am in Charlotte and it ticks all the boxes except the public transport one. But if you live in Uptown it's all walkable. Plus there's very little traffic and plenty of parking so cars work great too. It's also drivable to the mountains and the beach, it's a very clean city, and the people are very friendly.
  • Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

You will have passed within 100 metres of my son’s house in Inverallochy. We have found it very noticeable in our caravan tours this year that as caravanners we have been in the minority on the West Coast but in the majority on the East Coast.
    Cousins dropped in on the way back to Kent a couple of weeks ago from the West side.

"Midge central?"
    "Yep".

They are still itching.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers:

Great minds and all that.....
    OK, belated edit, thank me and FU later.

The only ? with Asheville is the air links to the rest of the US, since I drove there. But as a happening town with great climate, environment, a friendly artistic vibe and a Democratic island in a Republican state, with good arts, restaurants, retail, amazingly friendly people, lots of places to visit nearby, and a not unreasonable driving distance from DC. I’d say Asheville ticks a lot of boxes.
  • Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

No he's not.
    Well that settles that.
    I suppose they're all rabies free etc. What if they get homesick? Will Penny Farthing reverse rescue them back home?

• Options
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

Robert Tombs is a fine historian but is very eccentric. His determination to be right wing compared to everyone around him is part of his eccentricity.

I wonder if John Charmley is involved. Another who is to put it mildly an individualist and very anti-woke (he formed a whole new church led by himself when the Church of England ordained women priests) but I always got on very well with him on a personal level.
    I believe John Charmley has now gone the whole hog and converted to Rome

https://www.stedmundsrcbungay.org.uk/professor-john-charmley/
  • Options
    Omnium said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

My family came from Aberdeenshire. Very much inland from what you describe. I doubt they knew the sea.

A dark and difficult place. There was little looking back.
    Has Mike gone on holiday?

Where to?

There's a fabulous blog about offgrid in Scotland called "Life at the End of the Road".

He's not posted recently, but there are nearly 15 years of archives:
    https://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

You can find the roll call of revisionists here:
    https://historyreclaimed.co.uk/why-we-are-reclaiming-history/

• Options
    Aslan said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers:

Asheville is a tiddly place. I am in Charlotte and it ticks all the boxes except the public transport one. But if you live in Uptown it's all walkable. Plus there's very little traffic and plenty of parking so cars work great too. It's also drivable to the mountains and the beach, it's a very clean city, and the people are very friendly.
    Aslan said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers:

Tiddly places are in, post pandemic. Do keep up…
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    PB I NEED HELP

My older daughter, 15, is bored witless in London and wants an adventure before school begins, and she really wants to go to Scotland

There's very little available, but I've found two possibles. One is a sweet holiday let on Great Cumbrae island, in the Firth of Clyde, the other is a madder holiday let in John o Groats

The first is easier to do and sounds charming, in a quaint way, the second is harder but might broaden her mind. The big desolate landscapes of the north east tip of Scotland (which I have never seen)

Thoughts?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

So John isn’t involved, but otherwise the usual suspects.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

Just shows how little you really know about Scotland.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

I believe John Charmley has now gone the whole hog and converted to Rome

https://www.stedmundsrcbungay.org.uk/professor-john-charmley/
    I didn’t know that but it doesn’t surprise me. He’s working (or worked for) a Catholic university in London and I suspect membership of the Catholic Church was required for him to be appointed to his position in senior management. Although that said, he might well have ended up converting anyway.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

Niall.
    Well I never.
  • Options
    Leon said:

PB I NEED HELP

My older daughter, 15, is bored witless in London and wants an adventure before school begins, and she really wants to go to Scotland

There's very little available, but I've found two possibles. One is a sweet holiday let on Great Cumbrae island, in the Firth of Clyde, the other is a madder holiday let in John o Groats

The first is easier to do and sounds charming, in a quaint way, the second is harder but might broaden her mind. The big desolate landscapes of the north east tip of Scotland (which I have never seen)

Thoughts?

Bored witless in London....how is that possible?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

Given how repetitive they can be, it shows rather the soundness of his judgement.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

"John Simpson
    @JohnSimpsonNews

In the wake of the US retreat from Kabul, the angry, nationalistic Beijing ‘Global Times’ newspaper carries a ferocious warning to Pres Biden over Taiwan: ‘Whoever dares to cross China’s red line on the Taiwan question is seeking its own death.’ After Kabul, no more Mr Nice Guy.
    3:11 PM · Aug 28, 2021"

https://twitter.com/JohnSimpsonNews/status/1431620533993492482

I don't think that China will risk trying to subjugate Taiwan. There's so little to gain and so much to lose.

They can easily acquire a little bit of Afghanistan, and that'll give them more potential mineral wealth.
    Taiwan isn’t about money it’s about controlling entry to the South China Sea & the Chinese heartlands
  • Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

No he's not.
    Well that settles that.
    Hopefully so. The dogs deserve new homes, and I hear that cat makes a great bhuna….
  • Options

Leon said:

PB I NEED HELP

Thoughts?

She's 15, and, despite all my best advice, refuses to drink underage or take illegal drugs
  • Options
    Leon said:

PB I NEED HELP

Thoughts?

If it were me I would go for John O’Groats on the basis there is more to see. And I love that area, which is amazing and beautiful and has some great bird watching and travelling. But it does I suggest require someone to be driver (you)?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

PB I NEED HELP

Thoughts?

If it were me I would go for John O’Groats on the basis there is more to see. And I love that area, which is amazing and beautiful and has some great bird watching and travelling. But it does I suggest require someone to be driver (you)?
    Yes, I'm the driver, and that's fine. John O Groat's then?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

PB I NEED HELP

Thoughts?

She's 15, and, despite all my best advice, refuses to drink underage or take illegal drugs
    Further evidence that we are past peak London
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

PB I NEED HELP

Thoughts?

But she is at least bisexual or transgender, right?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,981
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

He’ll only get angry if he doesn’t get his 8%
    Where did angry come from I used "upset". You have an obsession with anger.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Leon said:

PB I NEED HELP

Thoughts?

Caithness is quite something - wide open flagstone Old Red Sandstone cliffs and huge skies. I liked Wick - a Telford harbour much loved by Lowry. There is a fine coastal walk around the headland north and westabout from the harbour to Ackergill tower and then back along the River Wick with sand martins and marsh/reed birds, though that may depend on time of year). That is admittedly some miles south of JoG. The walk to Thurso looks promising.

Practical point: accessible by train, if by rather a long trundle even beyond Inverness (and do book: the trains are not large, though I think they have obtained some 125s for the ones to Inverness).
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

PB I NEED HELP

Thoughts?

I personally find London incredibly boring and unpleasant. But that may just be because most of the things that interest me are either not available there or are extortionately expensive.

It may be further coloured by the fact that every time I’ve been there I’ve been on a shoestring budget and barely been able to afford food.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

PB I NEED HELP

Thoughts?

But she is at least bisexual or transgender, right?
    She is of an age where I do not inquire, unless she wants to go public. As yet, she does not
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

So John isn’t involved, but otherwise the usual suspects.
    Quite a line up I would say. But then I just base it on the potted cv's, not being conversant with the subterranean gossip of history cliques and claques.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,981
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

And the odd Swede as well.
    Doesn’t sound as though he will be attracted to it. Repelled, more like.
    Still got the makings of a good scotch broth.
    Turnips for lamb stew - swedes for the broth (or potato soup, with shank of lamb), I think.
    My mum would use turnip or swede for her Scotch broth along with plenty of carrot and a bit of boiling beef. Whatever was available, really.
    For some reason my family didn't often have that broth - it was far more often potato and carrot soup with a shank of lamb and large chunks of swede cooked in it and served as the second course with bread.
    always turnips, none of your piddling little swedes
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Astonishing divide in the new Mainstreet Canada numbers.

The Conservatives lead the Liberals by 37% to 29% overall, by a huge 59% to 22% in Alberta and 61% to 12% in the Prairies and by 42% to 20% in BC (with the NDP on 27%).

Yet because the Liberals still lead the Conservatives by 35.4% to 34.1% in marginal rich Ontario and by 29.9% to 25.4% in Quebec (with the BQ on 26.5%) and by 37.8% to 28.5% in the Atlantic states it is possible the Liberals could still win most seats despite being 8% behind in the national popular vote.

Trudeau's vote looks to be extremely efficient

https://archive.ph/1CfaI
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

PB I NEED HELP

Thoughts?

Caithness is quite something - wide open flagstone Old Red Sandstone cliffs and huge skies. I liked Wick - a Telford harbour much loved by Lowry. There is a fine coastal walk around the headland north and westabout from the harbour to Ackergill tower and then back along the River Wick with sand martins and marsh/reed birds, though that may depend on time of year). That is admittedly some miles south of JoG. The walk to Thurso looks promising.

Practical point: accessible by train, if by rather a long trundle even beyond Inverness (and do book: the trains are not large, though I think they have obtained some 125s for the ones to Inverness).
    That’s one of the great train journeys as well, even if it is quite slow. Through the remotest parts of the Highlands and then into the Sutherland farming area.

Last time I went along it I saw three golden eagles perched haughtily by the track with about 500 yards. And could I get my camera in time to snap any of them?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers:

Sounds lovely, but its transport links are pretty rubbish.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

PB I NEED HELP

Thoughts?

Yes, I'm the driver, and that's fine. John O Groat's then?
    If you are driving - then trains are not a problem. S ignore my remarks.

I am very partial to Old Pulteney from the Wick distillery.

https://www.oldpulteney.com/#

And you should be able to manage a day trip to Orkney dependijng on the ferries. There are two routes, to Stromness from THurso, and to South Ronaldsay and over the Churchill Barriers from somewhere nearer JoG - I forget what. But DYOR.

And try the bere bannocks (in Orkney anyway - not sure in Caithness).
  • Options
    rpjs said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers:

It also has direct flights to the UK.

And the Rocky steps. Good universities.

This discussion has been closed.