Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Some of the seats LAB needs to win for a Commons majority – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

Sleazy Tories on the slide....

Westminster Voting Intention (23 Aug):

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Scottish National Party 3% (-2)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1429835827379589129?s=20

10 points and SNP down 3% (-2)

Is the deal with the Green a SNP mistake

What, as big a mistake as voting against BJ's Brexit deal? Surely not!
    Interesting to see that the two cheeks of the same toxic divisive nationalistic arse are both on just 3% of the total UK population each.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,377

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

Why did the SNP do it, tho? It is a genuine puzzle, and to non-Scots this Green Coalition has the whiff of an error

I am sure there is some clever strategic reasoning, known only to Hollyrood-watchers, but I'd like to know what it is
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293

kinabalu said:

This is getting to the point where I have to ask what the **** is going on with the polling.
    Its fairly straightforward isnt it? Tories are stuck on 40-44 range, which is the bulk of the Brexit vote. Labour vs minor parties a bit more unpredictable but still fairly steady. Until about a quarter or more Brexiteers think Brexit is either a failure or in the past, the Tories are in a very healthy polling scenario, regardless of their performance on anything else.
    This is the nightmare scenario. The Brexit vote stays with the Tories and Remainers neither unite under Labour nor vote tactically enough to combat this. Upshot under FPTP is Con majority government.
    I'm struggling to see the nightmare.

We should all hail David Cameron for sacrificing his own career to end the schism on the Tory/Brexiteer right.
    He didn't sacrifice his career. He took a step up into big time commerce.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

For all the "All Quacks" "Look at Israel":

A notable difference between Israel and UK in their Delta waves https://ft.com/content/23cdbf8c-b5ef-4596-bb46-f510606ab556 by @jburnmurdoch and @nikasgarib @FT

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1429835698765324289?s=20

#12weekgap - not quite the stupid idea that everyone* screamed about...

* Ok not everyone, but a lot who don't like the current government or brexit or both...
    So are unvaccinated brits nearly 50% more likely to be hospitalized than unvaccinated Israelis? (7.9% v 5.4%).
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    edited August 2021
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Boris has had Brexit, covid and now Afghanistan on his watch

I am certain no previous PM would have wanted that cocktail of events

If he comes through all of them ?????

He’s been so lucky in getting so many chances to rise to the challenge of becoming a second Churchill, inspiring and uniting the country in the face of such crises, yet has dismally failed every single one of them. Karma indeed.
    None of them are over yet

Time will tell
    It would be a miracle if the clown were able to pull any last minute world king triumph from any of them, having so dismally flunked every test he’s been given so far.

You’re letting your Tory membership lapse imminently, remember?
    Indeed, but to see Boris off the polls need to threaten conservative mps seats and that does not seem likely at present
  • Options
    Leon said:

Keir Starmer’s net approval rating stands at -18%, a 4% decrease from last week and the lowest net approval rating for Starmer to date. 41% disapprove of Keir Starmer’s job performance (up 3%), while 23% approve (down 1%). Meanwhile, 30% neither approve nor disapprove of Starmer’s job performance (down 1%).

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voting-intention-23-august-2021/

shocked.

needs more clever slogans like burner phone government. that will work.
    Yes, I can't believe "BURNER PHONE GOVERNMENT" hasn't demolished the Tory lead. Such genius, why didn't it stick?

For days afterwards it was all you could hear on the streets of Camden.

"Burner phone government!"

"You know what this government is - burner phone government!"

"When I think about this government, I have one terrible image in my mind which sums them up - BURNER PHONES"

It became a kind of national mantra, millions saying it every few minutes
    Mods.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    edited August 2021
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Keir Starmer’s net approval rating stands at -18%, a 4% decrease from last week and the lowest net approval rating for Starmer to date. 41% disapprove of Keir Starmer’s job performance (up 3%), while 23% approve (down 1%). Meanwhile, 30% neither approve nor disapprove of Starmer’s job performance (down 1%).

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voting-intention-23-august-2021/

shocked.

Yes, I can't believe "BURNER PHONE GOVERNMENT" hasn't demolished the Tory lead. Such genius, why didn't it stick?

"When I think about this government, I have one terrible image in my mind which sums them up - BURNER PHONES"

Mods Nurse!
    ^ ^
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Endillion said:

“What we do know is the new boundaries are, if anything, going to make Labour’s task more challenging.”

Not good news for the Unionists in Scotland.

1. Makes tactical voting much harder
    2. The SNP vote is very evenly spread, so to a large extent it doesn’t really matter how the boundaries are drawn. In contrast SCon, SLab and SLD all have great areas and dire areas, so statistically there is a high probability that a “black hole” is brought into the “wrong” constituency.

Unless you're saying that the current boundaries are particularly good for Unionist tactical voting, surely it's just as likely that the new boundaries improve the situation on the whole as make it much worse?
    Tactical voting is entirely dependent upon general knowledge among the population at large. Not everyone is a political geek like PBers. In practice, it is extremely difficult to “educate” voters in an established seat (ahem Lib Dem bar charts). In a new seat it is virtually impossible, because someone has to make up the figures. Your average Donald or Donalda cannot google to check the actual result last time and make an informed tactical vote. Asking them to believe invented figures made up by politicians is an ask too far.

And then factor in that SCon, SLab and SLD might have their own understandings of which seats are “theirs” (cf East Lothian in May).
    Not to mention different elements within each party.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/15236862.ian-murray-backs-tactical-voting-for-tories-to-keep-snp-out/
    Yes, various SLab figures keep get caught instructing supporters to vote Conservative. The optics of that are dreadful. Technically, it ought to get you expelled from the Labour Party.
    Indeed. It doesn't say much for their apparent faith in Slab. Of course, Mr Murray benefits from it the other way round, weith the pearl-bedecked matrons of the Morningside Commune queuing to vote behind him in his UJ suit.
    Did you know that Ian Murray is Roger’s cousin? A lot of champagne in that Labour clan 😉
    Roger? Our PBRoger??
    Yepp.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

He’s been so lucky in getting so many chances to rise to the challenge of becoming a second Churchill, inspiring and uniting the country in the face of such crises, yet has dismally failed every single one of them. Karma indeed.

Time will tell
    It would be a miracle if the clown were able to pull any last minute world king triumph from any of them, having so dismally flunked every test he’s been given so far.

Indeed, but to see Boris off the polls need to threaten conservative mps seats and that dies not seem likely at present
    In which case for the sake of the country we have to hope he gets board of the fact that being PM is quite hard work, which is quite likely.

He will at some point want to spend more time with his families. ( I know I have used that gag once before, but I thought it worth a further outing)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    tlg86 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/23/new-zealand-football-diversity-review-could-bring-end-to-all-whites-nickname

The All Whites nickname used by New Zealand’s national football team could be ditched as part of a review New Zealand Football has launched into cultural diversity.

“As with many other national bodies, New Zealand Football is on a journey around cultural inclusivity and respecting the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi,” NZF said in a statement, referring to the treaty between the British crown and Māori chiefs signed in 1840.

It's political correctness gone mad.

I've been astonished that nickname hadn't already gone years ago. Not because of people actually being offended, but because of people being offended on behalf of people who might be offended.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The pedant in me objects to the amateurish errors in that chart. Correct names:

Dunfermline and West Fife
    West Dunbartonshire

The media has always put compass points at the end of constituency names. Not sure why. Maybe because it's more consistent. The various boundary commissions have an odd practice of putting them at the end for urban areas and the beginning for non-urban areas.
    Nope. Little more complicated than that.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    Andy_JS said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

Yes - but I very much doubt that's what we're seeing (yet) in this poll.....

This shows why sub-samples can't be trusted, because there's no way those East Midlands figures are accurate.
    If the SNP is on 33% in Scotland then my arse plays the banjo.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Time will tell

Indeed, but to see Boris off the polls need to threaten conservative mps seats and that dies not seem likely at present
    In which case for the sake of the country we have to hope he gets board of the fact that being PM is quite hard work, which is quite likely.

He will at some point want to spend more time with his families. ( I know I have used that gag once before, but I thought it worth a further outing)
    I would be very content to see Boris leave office for Rishi but it seems unlikely at present
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    £120 for an Animal Health Certificate, to take my dog abroad once which last year was free using his pet passport. Thanks, Brexit.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Time will tell

*bored*
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Time will tell

*bored*
    With the number of inlaws he must have, are you sure? ;)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    IanB2 said:

£120 for an Animal Health Certificate, to take my dog abroad once which last year was free using his pet passport. Thanks, Brexit.

But it stops the furrin chiens und Hunden getting in so easily. QED.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Leon said:

This is getting to the point where I have to ask what the **** is going on with the polling.
    Maybe the public are not on twitter nor may I suggest this excellent forum

And maybe Labour overplayed the Raab story
    The Raab story was always puffed up nonsense. MINISTER DOES NOT MAKE PHONE CALL WHILE ON HOLIDAY

No one gives a fuck, apart from frantic Remoaners and the Daily Mail. Also it was entirely overshadowed by the horror of Kabul - which IS an enormous story - I've had non-political friends mention it unprompted. They are angry at Biden

The Afghani story has cut through like few others, but it's probably neutral in UK terms
    Can you give the source of your "No one gives a fuck." assertion. "Frantic remoaners and the Daily Mail" seems to cover a large section of the population.
  • Options

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

I expect Mr Dickson will be all over that subsample like a cheap suit....

SNP in free fall:

SNP 33%
    SCon 27%
    SLab 21%
    SLD 14%
    SGP 3%
    Reform UK 1%
    oth 2%

Ah’m fillin ma breeks.
  • Options

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

SNP in free fall:

SNP 33%
    SCon 27%
    SLab 21%
    SLD 14%
    SGP 3%
    Reform UK 1%
    oth 2%

Ah’m fillin ma breeks.
    Can you imagine how difficult it would be to form a government with that distribution? :D
  • Options

Leon said:

The Raab story was always puffed up nonsense. MINISTER DOES NOT MAKE PHONE CALL WHILE ON HOLIDAY

No one gives a fuck, apart from frantic Remoaners and the Daily Mail. Also it was entirely overshadowed by the horror of Kabul - which IS an enormous story - I've had non-political friends mention it unprompted. They are angry at Biden

The Afghani story has cut through like few others, but it's probably neutral in UK terms
    Can you give the source of your "No one gives a fuck." assertion. "Frantic remoaners and the Daily Mail" seems to cover a large section of the population.
    I'm pretty sure it was an Albanian taxi driver. Will let Leon confirm though.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Time will tell

I would be very content to see Boris leave office for Rishi but it seems unlikely at present
    A week is a long time in politics. I suppose one advantage of The Clown staying put for a while is that while the international reputation of the country will descend into further ridicule, there is a slight chance that the Tory party might find someone a lot better. And by that I mean a lot better than Sunak also.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

SNP in free fall:

SNP 33%
    SCon 27%
    SLab 21%
    SLD 14%
    SGP 3%
    Reform UK 1%
    oth 2%

Ah’m fillin ma breeks.
    Can you imagine how difficult it would be to form a government with that distribution? :D
    That's Westminster VI. For Holyrood, the SLDs and Greens would be swapping places, for a start.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Leon said:

I'm pretty sure it was an Albanian taxi driver. Will let Leon confirm though.
    The one from Tirana he met in Athens?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Its fairly straightforward isnt it? Tories are stuck on 40-44 range, which is the bulk of the Brexit vote. Labour vs minor parties a bit more unpredictable but still fairly steady. Until about a quarter or more Brexiteers think Brexit is either a failure or in the past, the Tories are in a very healthy polling scenario, regardless of their performance on anything else.
    This is the nightmare scenario. The Brexit vote stays with the Tories and Remainers neither unite under Labour nor vote tactically enough to combat this. Upshot under FPTP is Con majority government.
    If the Brexit vote - all 52% of it - were to stay with the Tories, no amount of tactical voting could defeat it.
    Tactical voting isn't the answer. Providing a more appealing offer is.
    I don't mean all just most of it. Add in your Remainer or Brexitnostic types who are nevertheless firm Cons - think Felix, Big G, HYUFD, these sorts of stubborn philosophies - and that's your 40 odd. Yes, a better offer will help, course it will, but on top of that there HAS to be some smart and extensive tactical anti-Con voting. If not it's curtains. Our future is more Johnson. Lots more.
    But if, as you were suggesting, we start with the Brexit/Remain blocs, going for tactical voting among Remainers is a fools errand, because there are fewer of them, and they can be out-tactical-voted. You can run a niche political party on the basis of the losing side of a referendum (though it worked out poorly for the Lib Dems), but to try to for a government by trying to unite the votes of all remainers risks pushing all leavers towards the Conservatives.
    And there are more leavers. And leavers are much better distributed.
    Tactically, you need to try to put the referendum behind you.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

SNP in free fall:

SNP 33%
    SCon 27%
    SLab 21%
    SLD 14%
    SGP 3%
    Reform UK 1%
    oth 2%

Ah’m fillin ma breeks.
    That's Westminster VI. For Holyrood, the SLDs and Greens would be swapping places, for a start.
    Yeah, I wasn't being entirely serious. I was just imagining if that was the share of a Holyrood election.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    UK voters support resettling some Afghan refugees fleeing the Taliban in the UK by 52% to 29%.

69% of Labour voters and 70% of Remain voters in favour.

Tory voters also in favour by 45% to 40%.

Leave voters however are opposed by 44% to 37%
    https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1429842902662909955?s=20
  • Options
    RobD said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

SNP in free fall:

SNP 33%
    SCon 27%
    SLab 21%
    SLD 14%
    SGP 3%
    Reform UK 1%
    oth 2%

Ah’m fillin ma breeks.
    Clear Unionist victory! Blue-Red-Gold coalition. D Ross FM. SLab activists would be delighted…
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942

For all the "All Quacks" "Look at Israel":

A notable difference between Israel and UK in their Delta waves https://ft.com/content/23cdbf8c-b5ef-4596-bb46-f510606ab556 by @jburnmurdoch and @nikasgarib @FT

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1429835698765324289?s=20

#12weekgap - not quite the stupid idea that everyone* screamed about...

* Ok not everyone, but a lot who don't like the current government or brexit or both...
    So are unvaccinated brits nearly 50% more likely to be hospitalized than unvaccinated Israelis? (7.9% v 5.4%).
    Possible given the age pyramids of us and Israel
  • Options

RobD said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

SNP in free fall:

SNP 33%
    SCon 27%
    SLab 21%
    SLD 14%
    SGP 3%
    Reform UK 1%
    oth 2%

Ah’m fillin ma breeks.
    Clear Unionist victory! Blue-Red-Gold coalition. D Ross FM. SLab activists would be delighted…
    Coalition of chaos?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

Why did the SNP do it, tho? It is a genuine puzzle, and to non-Scots this Green Coalition has the whiff of an error

I am sure there is some clever strategic reasoning, known only to Hollyrood-watchers, but I'd like to know what it is
    I saw the co-leader of the Scottish Greens on the telly the other day. I think he is competing with Boris Johnson for the title of most ludicrous clown in public office in the UK.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

@PoliticsForAlI
    NEW: Downing Street do not believe Boris Johnson broke the ministerial code by using taxpayers money to jet to Hartlepool to campaign for the Tories, as they say the PM can use his official cars for whatever, despite a car not being a plane

Via
    @BusinessInsider

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1429824009911349253

Have you ever seen a Bristol?
    Bit of a personal question TBH
    There used to be a showroom in Kensington when I first moved to London. Holland Road is what the inter web thingy is telling me, although for some reason I remember it as being on Piccadilly.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bristol_Cars_showroom_Kensington_High_Street.jpg
    It closed a couple of years ago sadly. Opposite the entrance to Warwick Avenue on KHS
    HSK Charles, HSK.
    Not to locals
    Yes to locals (of which I was one for many years). No one says KSH.
    Of course not.

They say Ken High Street.
    NO THEY DON'T.

They say High Street Ken. That is just what they say. Ken High Street is not something anyone says.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Leon said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

Aberdeenshire councillor quits the SNP over the deal with the Greens

https://twitter.com/adelemerson_/status/1429735760123543554?s=20
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

Yes - but I very much doubt that's what we're seeing (yet) in this poll.....

This shows why sub-samples can't be trusted, because there's no way those East Midlands figures are accurate.
    If the SNP is on 33% in Scotland then my arse plays the banjo.
    And as importantly if the AC-H led SLDs are on 14%, my arse will challenge your arse to a banjo duel.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Karma is giving Labour a good length of time to reflect on why it broke its promise to introduce a fairer voting system, when it had the chance.
    It is also giving Sir Kir Royale Starmer tine to reflect that maybe, just maybe, pushing for a second EU referendum before enacting the result of the first was not a stellar idea
    This is a good point if you mean the way that the PV thing backfired has cemented a structural looking Con FPTP majority.

It's not a good point if you mean voters are now punishing Starmer for his role in it and thus he was a doomed choice as Labour leader for that reason.

This latter is projection.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

SNP in free fall:

SNP 33%
    SCon 27%
    SLab 21%
    SLD 14%
    SGP 3%
    Reform UK 1%
    oth 2%

Ah’m fillin ma breeks.
    Yeah, I wasn't being entirely serious. I was just imagining if that was the share of a Holyrood election.
    Oh, quite so. But I think people forget how strong the SGs are and how they are snapping at the heels of Slab, having overtaken SLD.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

SNP in free fall:

SNP 33%
    SCon 27%
    SLab 21%
    SLD 14%
    SGP 3%
    Reform UK 1%
    oth 2%

Ah’m fillin ma breeks.
    Coalition of chaos?
    Not necessarily “chaos”. They have a lot in common. More “The Grumpy Coalition”.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

@PoliticsForAlI
    NEW: Downing Street do not believe Boris Johnson broke the ministerial code by using taxpayers money to jet to Hartlepool to campaign for the Tories, as they say the PM can use his official cars for whatever, despite a car not being a plane

Via
    @BusinessInsider

There used to be a showroom in Kensington when I first moved to London. Holland Road is what the inter web thingy is telling me, although for some reason I remember it as being on Piccadilly.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bristol_Cars_showroom_Kensington_High_Street.jpg
    It closed a couple of years ago sadly. Opposite the entrance to Warwick Avenue on KHS
    HSK Charles, HSK.
    Not to locals
    Of course not.

NO THEY DON'T.

They say High Street Ken. That is just what they say. Ken High Street is not something anyone says.
    Not surprising. It's what it says on the **** Underground.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Time will tell

*bored*
    With the number of inlaws he must have, are you sure? ;)
    He doesn't seem sure how many children he has, so keeping track of the in-laws probably requires a government department.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited August 2021
    I see that the utter, unmitigated lunacy of requiring new 'UKCA' certification, and not recognising CE marks, has been postponed for a full year:

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1429844646088282120

Let's hope some vague semblance of sanity leaks in to government during that time and that we abandon the entire brain-dead idea of UKCA - a remarkable example of a policy with not a single merit and with massive demerits, both for our manufacturers (for whom it's just extra, completely pointless, red tape) and for consumers (for whom it will reduce choice and increase costs).
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

SNP in free fall:

SNP 33%
    SCon 27%
    SLab 21%
    SLD 14%
    SGP 3%
    Reform UK 1%
    oth 2%

Ah’m fillin ma breeks.
    Coalition of chaos?
    Not necessarily “chaos”. They have a lot in common. More “The Grumpy Coalition”.
    I'm by no means an expert in this area, but I doubt the unionist parties have a game-plan of what to do in a situation like this.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

UK voters support resettling some Afghan refugees fleeing the Taliban in the UK by 52% to 29%.

69% of Labour voters and 70% of Remain voters in favour.

Tory voters also in favour by 45% to 40%.

Leave voters however are opposed by 44% to 37%
    https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1429842902662909955?s=20

I would have thought 90%+ of voters would support resettling some afghan refugees. The key point is whether some is 200 or 20000.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    'We'd need 200 Australias to fill the gap.....'.

It's rather sad watching Botham embarrass himself by lending his reputation to this ridiculous publicity stunt particularly after his excellent work collecting money for Lymphoma and Leukemia research
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

@PoliticsForAlI

Via
    @BusinessInsider

HSK Charles, HSK.
    Not to locals
    Of course not.

NO THEY DON'T.

To reiterate in case you ( @Charles ) thought I was meaning the initials: for out-of-towners and others types it is whatever they want. For locals it is High Street Ken. Always has been High Street Ken and always will be High Street Ken. Until High Street Ken is taken over by out of towners and denizens of No. 1 Hyde Park and ne'er do wells in which case it will probably become something ghastly like Ken High Street.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

SNP in free fall:

SNP 33%
    SCon 27%
    SLab 21%
    SLD 14%
    SGP 3%
    Reform UK 1%
    oth 2%

Ah’m fillin ma breeks.
    Coalition of chaos?
    I'm by no means an expert in this area, but I doubt the unionist parties have a game-plan of what to do in a situation like this.
    You might be right. Remember what happened to the LDs and Slab after their respective coalitions with the Tories (the latter de facto for 2014 indyref). I can't see them in a hurry to repeat the experience.
  • Options

Leon said:

I think Leon is in denial about how shit this government led by Johnson actually is, and their part in the Afghan debacle. One of the reasons it has happened is because we have massively lost influence with the Americans, and that is because we have a clown for PM. I cannot imagine this happening if Mrs T or Tony Blair had been in No10.

The cost of having Boris Johnson as PM continues to be a very high one.
  • Options

Leon said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

I saw the co-leader of the Scottish Greens on the telly the other day. I think he is competing with Boris Johnson for the title of most ludicrous clown in public office in the UK.
    He is doing better than the LDs in Scotland. Or at least he gets half the credit for doing better than them.
  • Options

Leon said:

I think Leon is in denial about how shit this government led by Johnson actually is, and their part in the Afghan debacle. One of the reasons it has happened is because we have massively lost influence with the Americans, and that is because we have a clown for PM. I cannot imagine this happening if Mrs T or Tony Blair had been in No10.

Even Blair would not have persuaded the isolationist Biden to stay in Afghanistan
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363
    IanB2 said:

Its a cheap price given the cost of caring for your dog whilst away at a min of 35 a day...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

@PoliticsForAlI

Via
    @BusinessInsider

HSK Charles, HSK.
    Not to locals
    Of course not.

NO THEY DON'T.

Indeed it does.
  • Options
    Roger said:

It's rather sad watching Botham embarrass himself by lending his reputation to this ridiculous publicity stunt particularly after his excellent work collecting money for Lymphoma and Leukemia research

The irony of the quote about Rashford staying out of politics seems to be lost on those who think this is not a ludicrous appointment.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

@PoliticsForAlI

Via
    @BusinessInsider

HSK Charles, HSK.
    Not to locals
    Of course not.

NO THEY DON'T.

I'm from 200 miles away, but I've always known High Street Ken as the tube stop and Kensington High Street as the street.

This is from the Independent:

Given the inverted epithet bestowed upon it by London Underground, it's hardly surprising that High Street Kensington has become known for its function rather than its form. To carrier bag-wielding pragmatists, it will always be High Street Ken, a thinned-down Oxford Street where it's still possible to make one's way between shops using the pavement rather than the bus lane. But to purists and historians (such as the editors of the London Encyclopedia, who know a thing or two about such matters), it's Kensington High Street, the emphasis resting resolutely on the old town rather than the modern thoroughfare. And a community it remains, a living, breathing place with peace to be had in churchyards, residential squares and an extraordinary garden in one place you wouldn't think of looking - on top of British Home Stores and M&S.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846

IanB2 said:

Its a cheap price given the cost of caring for your dog whilst away at a min of 35 a day...
    Why even take your dog abroad....do you not believe in climate change....isnt it bad enough people are travelling and adding to it let alone taking their poodles
  • Options
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

@PoliticsForAlI

Via
    @BusinessInsider

HSK Charles, HSK.
    Not to locals
    Of course not.

NO THEY DON'T.

I'm from 200 miles away, but I've always known High Street Ken as the tube stop and Kensington High Street as the street.

This is from the Independent:

Given the inverted epithet bestowed upon it by London Underground, it's hardly surprising that High Street Kensington has become known for its function rather than its form. To carrier bag-wielding pragmatists, it will always be High Street Ken, a thinned-down Oxford Street where it's still possible to make one's way between shops using the pavement rather than the bus lane. But to purists and historians (such as the editors of the London Encyclopedia, who know a thing or two about such matters), it's Kensington High Street, the emphasis resting resolutely on the old town rather than the modern thoroughfare. And a community it remains, a living, breathing place with peace to be had in churchyards, residential squares and an extraordinary garden in one place you wouldn't think of looking - on top of British Home Stores and M&S.
    To everyone I knew, lived with, met, bumped into, or discussed it with during my time there (which includes all the above categories) it was and is High Street Ken.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Even Blair would not have persuaded the isolationist Biden to stay in Afghanistan
    He might have persuaded him of the need for a little more consultation and thought to the implementation of the withdrawal. Johnson is a laughing stock in America, and not just because his name is slang for penis. The Americans are more likely to ask the counsel of Kermit the Frog before they ask Johnson.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    edited August 2021

RobD said:

RobD said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

SNP in free fall:

SNP 33%
    SCon 27%
    SLab 21%
    SLD 14%
    SGP 3%
    Reform UK 1%
    oth 2%

Ah’m fillin ma breeks.
    Coalition of chaos?
    The SNP are at loggerheads with the Greens already over the long overdue construction of the dual carriageway of the whole of the A9

Why did the SNP do this - it was unnecessary

https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https://order-order.com/2021/08/23/snp-and-greens-already-clashing-over-controversial-building-plans/&text=SNP and Greens Already Clashing Over Controversial Building Plans&via=guidofawkes
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

To everyone I knew, lived with, met, bumped into, or discussed it with during my time there (which includes all the above categories) it was and is High Street Ken.

I hadn't thought of you as a carrier-bag-wielding pragmatist before.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

@PoliticsForAlI

Via
    @BusinessInsider

HSK Charles, HSK.
    Not to locals
    Of course not.

NO THEY DON'T.

I remember an ad on the tube in the 80s which referenced Theydon Bois and High Street Ken. It was some boys v men angle. I've no idea if Bois is pronounced boys. I assumed it was from the french so wasnt. And the Ken was meant be rhyming slang.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

@PoliticsForAlI

Via
    @BusinessInsider

HSK Charles, HSK.
    Not to locals
    Of course not.

NO THEY DON'T.

This is silly. Everyone knows it's Street Ken High.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Pagan2 said:

IanB2 said:

Why even take your dog abroad....do you not believe in climate change....isnt it bad enough people are travelling and adding to it let alone taking their poodles
    Yeah, and dogs are pretty interchangeable. Why not leave yours at home and hire one like a car for your two weeks abroad.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

IanB2 said:

Yeah, and dogs are pretty interchangeable. Why not leave yours at home and hire one like a car for your two weeks abroad.
    Pets are purely a hedge against famine
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

SNP in free fall:

SNP 33%
    SCon 27%
    SLab 21%
    SLD 14%
    SGP 3%
    Reform UK 1%
    oth 2%

Ah’m fillin ma breeks.
    Coalition of chaos?
    The SNP are at loggerheads with the Greens already over the long overdue construction of the dual carriageway of the whole of the A9

https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https://order-order.com/2021/08/23/snp-and-greens-already-clashing-over-controversial-building-plans/&text=SNP and Greens Already Clashing Over Controversial Building Plans&via=guidofawkes
    Dualling the A9? Eeveryone's been howling about it for years - it is a deathtrap - but it got held up thanks to money being diverted to the Edinburgh trams courtesy of the Tory-Green alliance at the time.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

@PoliticsForAlI

Via
    @BusinessInsider

HSK Charles, HSK.
    Not to locals
    Of course not.

NO THEY DON'T.

High Ken Street, please.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

@PoliticsForAlI

Via
    @BusinessInsider

HSK Charles, HSK.
    Not to locals
    Of course not.

NO THEY DON'T.

I remember an ad on the tube in the 80s which referenced Theydon Bois and High Street Ken. It was some boys v men angle. I've no idea if Bois is pronounced boys. I assumed it was from the french so wasnt. And the Ken was meant be rhyming slang.
    My favourite Underground related ad was the 80s Fosters one with Paul Hogan when a tourist asks him the best way to Cockfosters and he suggests drinking it warm.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

I was told my posts were ill-informed the other day, how about all the thread headers about the gap in the polls closing, SKS could be next PM, SKS is fantastic, Boris is in trouble etc etc.

10 points clear at this stage of the electoral cycle is nuts, if polls like this continue over the next month then SKS will be in trouble at the Labour Conference.
    Would you like something to help with that chip on your shoulder.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

shocked.

Mods.
    Don't you mean "nurse"?

;)
    No, it was more MY cry for help. I could see where things were going and it just wasn't great.
  • Options
    And this aspect, which I hadn't thought of, but which is obvious now it's been pointed out:

"Our members literally losing sleep on this - as international suppliers [are] refusing to sign up to UKCA, which would have left some UK firms without a functioning supply chain on Jan 1st... "

https://twitter.com/MattWGriffith/status/1429854232820207623
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

IanB2 said:

A tin of corned beef is lower maintenance.

Though I had once to warn a subordinate not to talk about his oriental travels and, erm, unusual meals in front of another colleague who was very, very, attached to her pets.

Edit: not a formal warning - he never tried to do it - but just to make sure he didn't do it out of ignorance. A little intelligent anticipation over a lunchtime pint saved some grief.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I hadn't thought of you as a carrier-bag-wielding pragmatist before.
    I have many guises.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

SNP in free fall:

SNP 33%
    SCon 27%
    SLab 21%
    SLD 14%
    SGP 3%
    Reform UK 1%
    oth 2%

Ah’m fillin ma breeks.
    Coalition of chaos?

Dualling the A9? Eeveryone's been howling about it for years - it is a deathtrap - but it got held up thanks to money being diverted to the Edinburgh trams courtesy of the Tory-Green alliance at the time.
    I have been driving the A9 for 60 years and it is shocking it has not been fully dual carriageway

The 60mph limit has helped but it is seriously dangerous in many places
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

IanB2 said:

A tin of corned beef is lower maintenance.

Though I had once to warn a subordinate not to talk about his oriental travels and, erm, unusual meals in front of another colleague who was very, very, attached to her pets.
    I was somewhat exaggerating I admit, but if it came down to it being a country boy if its a choice between the family starving and the dog.....well looking at korean cookbooks. However having had both cats and dogs and having been abroad while having them I have yet to see a reason for taking them. For a start they are generally not happy being taken out of their known evirons
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

@PoliticsForAlI

Via
    @BusinessInsider

HSK Charles, HSK.
    Not to locals
    Of course not.

NO THEY DON'T.

Ain't no Street Ken High enough.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948

I see that the utter, unmitigated lunacy of requiring new 'UKCA' certification, and not recognising CE marks, has been postponed for a full year:

Let's hope some vague semblance of sanity leaks in to government during that time and that we abandon the entire brain-dead idea of UKCA - a remarkable example of a policy with not a single merit and with massive demerits, both for our manufacturers (for whom it's just extra, completely pointless, red tape) and for consumers (for whom it will reduce choice and increase costs).

Its not lunacy. A lot of CE marks are buearcratic and hard to obtain, whilst also often failing to achieve what is intended. This is particularly true if you ever have to implement one in France, but it was getting that way in the UK too.

Certainly in my industry (I'm on the committee which develops all the guidance for my sector) quite a lot of people are cautiously optimistic about the possibility of divergence in sensible directions, now we'll have a governing body which is actually in reach.

I'm still doing EU work too - my usual Notified Body has set up a brass plate in Dublin, and changed me one off costs of about £600 to duel certificate our key paperwork, which whilst a little irritating (given its only going through the photocopier) is hardly a kings ransom.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

@PoliticsForAlI

Via
    @BusinessInsider

HSK Charles, HSK.
    Not to locals
    Of course not.

NO THEY DON'T.

To reiterate in case you ( @Charles ) thought I was meaning the initials: for out-of-towners and others types it is whatever they want. For locals it is High Street Ken. Always has been High Street Ken and always will be High Street Ken. Until High Street Ken is taken over by out of towners and denizens of No. 1 Hyde Park and ne'er do wells in which case it will probably become something ghastly like Ken High Street.
    You're right. I was a young northern oik - as opposed to an old one - when I lived there and I called it Ken High Street. So that must be bad and wrong. Explains some of the muted reaction of the high born locals to my eager overtures back then.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,575
    Charles said:

10 point Tory lead!

It’s almost as if mid summer polls are so volatile as to be useless
    No poll are any 'use' except perhaps very near election time. At all other times all they do is provide a 'price' for a share that can only be traded at a General election.

This of course does not detract from their fascination.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

SNP in free fall:

SNP 33%
    SCon 27%
    SLab 21%
    SLD 14%
    SGP 3%
    Reform UK 1%
    oth 2%

Ah’m fillin ma breeks.
    Coalition of chaos?

I have been driving the A9 for 60 years
    Tiredness kills. Take a break.
    Top response and at times during that period it has felt like 60 years to overtake
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

@PoliticsForAlI

Via
    @BusinessInsider

HSK Charles, HSK.
    Not to locals
    Of course not.

NO THEY DON'T.

You're right. I was a young northern oik - as opposed to an old one - when I lived there and I called it Ken High Street. So that must be bad and wrong. Explains some of the muted reaction of the high born locals to my eager overtures back then.
    You are not an old northern oik that is ridiculous. 61 is hardly old.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

@PoliticsForAlI

Via
    @BusinessInsider

HSK Charles, HSK.
    Not to locals
    Of course not.

NO THEY DON'T.

Physical age and mental age are not the same you can be positively decrepit mentally age wise at 61
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

He is doing better than the LDs in Scotland. Or at least he gets half the credit for doing better than them.
    Clearly having clowns in government is a "thing" north of the border as well as south. Perhaps we should have Mr. Bean as head of state.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

@PoliticsForAlI

Via
    @BusinessInsider

HSK Charles, HSK.
    Not to locals
    Of course not.

NO THEY DON'T.

Physical age and mental age are not the same you can be positively decrepit mentally age wise at 61
    Hey throw him a bone here ..
  • Options
    theProle said:

Its not lunacy. A lot of CE marks are buearcratic and hard to obtain, whilst also often failing to achieve what is intended. This is particularly true if you ever have to implement one in France, but it was getting that way in the UK too.

Certainly in my industry (I'm on the committee which develops all the guidance for my sector) quite a lot of people are cautiously optimistic about the possibility of divergence in sensible directions, now we'll have a governing body which is actually in reach.

I'm still doing EU work too - my usual Notified Body has set up a brass plate in Dublin, and changed me one off costs of about £600 to duel certificate our key paperwork, which whilst a little irritating (given its only going through the photocopier) is hardly a kings ransom.
    That makes no sense. I can see an argument (you could call it 'Global Britain') for accepting CE marks AND other quality marks, which could even include our own, although we're really too small to have our own certification scheme. But there is zero, precisely zero, reason not to accept CE marks. It's just utter lunacy. It means any UK manufacturer has to get double certification if it has even the slightest wish to export, it means many international suppliers simply won't bother with the UK at all, or if they do will limit the UKCA applications to just a few product lines, which is bad for consumers, and it means UK manufacturers dependent on parts in their supply chain where the supplier can't be bothered to get UKCA certification are completely stuffed.

And what for? What exactly are the undesirable EU products we're trying to keep out?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

@PoliticsForAlI

Via
    @BusinessInsider

HSK Charles, HSK.
    Not to locals
    Of course not.

NO THEY DON'T.

Hey throw him a bone here ..
    I didnt say he was just was making the observation that some have a mental age far in advance of their physical years and vice versa
  • Options

theProle said:

That makes no sense. I can see an argument (you could call it 'Global Britain') for accepting CE marks AND other quality marks, which could even include our own, although we're really too small to have our own certification scheme. But there is zero, precisely zero, reason not to accept CE marks. It's just utter lunacy. It means any UK manufacturer has to get double certification if it has even the slightest wish to export, it means many international suppliers simply won't bother with the UK at all, or if they do will limit the UKCA applications to just a few product lines, which is bad for consumers, and it means UK manufacturers dependent on parts in their supply chain where the supplier can't be bothered to get UKCA certification are completely stuffed.

And what for? What exactly are the undesirable EU products we're trying to keep out?
    Foie gras?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    It's confusing for outsiders because the tube station is "High Street Kensington" and the official name of the road is "Kensington High Street".
  • Options

theProle said:

The French?
  • Options

theProle said:

The French?
    Not sure the french ever got a ce mark, where would it be branded
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    This is completely insane. It's been suggested that people can do regular antibody tests instead of getting a third dose. What a waste of everyone's time and money. Just start giving them out you idiots. We have them and people want them. Fucking get on with it.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

theProle said:

The French?
    Not sure the french ever got a ce mark, where would it be branded
    Yes, you are right. A Certificate of Conformity is not something any Frenchman would see positively.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Evening all :)

One half-decent poll and the mood changes....

The only thing more daft is trying to use rolling polls as part of an average - it's almost as if someone desperately wants the Conservatives to overtake the Liberals and win in Canada...

Before Canada or even Germany vote, we have Norway which goes to the polls on the 13th September so just three weeks away.

The latest Kantar poll (changes from the last election):

Labour: 22.7% (-4.7)
    Conservatives: 19.7 (-5.3)
    Centre Party: 13% (+2.7)
    Socialist Left: 9.5% (+3.5)
    Progress Party: 9.3% (-5.9)
    Red Party: 5.9% (+3.5)
    Greens: 5.1% (+1.9)
    Liberal Party: 4.4% (nc)

The more significant is between the "Red" and "Blue" blocs (the centre-left and centre-right coalitions of parties). At the last election to the Storting in 2017, the Blue bloc won 49-46 but the Red bloc now leads 51-37.which I maike an 8.5% swing to the centre-left. It does look on the above numbers there has been a significant shift to the Left in Norway.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

This is completely insane. It's been suggested that people can do regular antibody tests instead of getting a third dose. What a waste of everyone's time and money. Just start giving them out you idiots. We have them and people want them. Fucking get on with it.

Where did that suggestion come from? It makes no sense.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It's confusing for outsiders because the tube station is "High Street Kensington" and the official name of the road is "Kensington High Street".

Exactly it's very confusing for outsiders.
  • Options

Roger said:

The irony of the quote about Rashford staying out of politics seems to be lost on those who think this is not a ludicrous appointment.
    The irony is that people like you and Roger have no idea how much respect the Ozzies have for Beefy. I think it's as good as any appointment that could have been made. The Ozzies will listen to Beefy, even if they sledge him!
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Conservative 43% (+3)
    Labour 33% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

SNP in free fall:

SNP 33%
    SCon 27%
    SLab 21%
    SLD 14%
    SGP 3%
    Reform UK 1%
    oth 2%

Ah’m fillin ma breeks.
    Coalition of chaos?
    The “in a situation like this” was redundant in that sentence.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

One doesnt shorten street names. It just isn't done...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

MaxPB said:

Someone who would know on WhatsApp.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

If the Brexit vote - all 52% of it - were to stay with the Tories, no amount of tactical voting could defeat it.
    Tactical voting isn't the answer. Providing a more appealing offer is.
    I don't mean all just most of it. Add in your Remainer or Brexitnostic types who are nevertheless firm Cons - think Felix, Big G, HYUFD, these sorts of stubborn philosophies - and that's your 40 odd. Yes, a better offer will help, course it will, but on top of that there HAS to be some smart and extensive tactical anti-Con voting. If not it's curtains. Our future is more Johnson. Lots more.
    But if, as you were suggesting, we start with the Brexit/Remain blocs, going for tactical voting among Remainers is a fools errand, because there are fewer of them, and they can be out-tactical-voted. You can run a niche political party on the basis of the losing side of a referendum (though it worked out poorly for the Lib Dems), but to try to for a government by trying to unite the votes of all remainers risks pushing all leavers towards the Conservatives.
    And there are more leavers. And leavers are much better distributed.
    Tactically, you need to try to put the referendum behind you.
    Is exactly what Starmer's Labour are doing. Brexit has happened. It's done. More than this, it's always been done, so don't even mention the 2016 referendum, no good can come of it. I'm not mad on this myself but I'm prepared to see it as being the best strategy for now. Even the biggest sunniest optimist in me, however, cannot see any way on earth that this Con majority can be removed at the next election without a lot of Lab/Lib tactical voting. And like it or not it will be almost exclusively Remainers doing this.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2021
    MaxPB said:

If the government don't roll out a comprehensive booster programme, forget criticism over why somebody didn't make a phone call while on holiday, every death of a granny will be met with they would have been alive if they had only got their booster...
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Someone who would know on WhatsApp.
    It does seem mystifying that just as we reach the point of abundant supply, combined with very willing population, the bloody jcvi is holding everything up. I can only assume there is some extreme views on the committee. Even if you don’t want to ‘risk’ vaccinating the youngsters, at least get cracking on the ones who’ve already had two, and would gladly have a third.
This discussion has been closed.