Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Biden’s legacy looks set to be the one who lost Afghanistan – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    DavidL said:

Reddit is something I am not really familiar with. It's a sort of dumbed down Twitter, yes?
    Yes and no. It's thematically sorted into subreddits, and contributions get up or down voted, which both in theory make it easier to find higher quality stuff on subjects you are interested in. In theory.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,888
    Well the flights are starting. One US State department plane just took off, and surprisingly there looks like there might be a Turkish Airlines 777 taxiing for departure to Istanbul.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    @Sandpit

(I forgot, Clinton also came out of nowhere.)

I think you are absolutely right: The most likely President in 2024 is NOTA.

Harris is a terrible candidate. Trump is a terrible candidate who will be four years older than in 2020.

My “most likely scenario” is that the Trump protégés (DeSantis, Hayley) hold back for the big man… but for one reason or another (illness, incapacitation) he doesn’t stand or is forced out early.

In which case, it could be anyone: Hawley? Sasse?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,240
    On topic I think Mike is right. Biden already had the air of a bumbling incompetent, really struggling to have a grip on the real world or complete something hard, like a sentence. Now he has a full on disaster on his watch and it confirms that he has no grip at all. Yes, many others are also responsible for this disaster over the last 20 years but he is in the Oval Office so he gets the blame.

So damaged goods become an embarrassment. And he doesn't run again. The question now is how long his Presidency lasts. The full term seems ambitious.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,349
    edited August 2021
    rcs1000 said:

@Sandpit

Harris is a terrible candidate. Trump is a terrible candidate who will be four years older than in 2020.

My “most likely scenario” is that the Trump protégés (DeSantis, Hayley) hold back for the big man… but for one reason or another (illness, incapacitation) he doesn’t stand or is forced out early.

Are we giving up on the Trumplings? Ivanka in particular seems reasonably popular, has the Trump name allied to RINO (so far as anyone can tell) politics and will rival Kamala for the "time for a woman" vote.

ETA: on the GOP front, my plan is to wait and see which governor has the best Covid tale to tell.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

@Sandpit

Are we giving up on the Trumplings? Ivanka in particular seems reasonably popular, has the Trump name allied to RINO (so far as anyone can tell) politics and will rival Kamala for the "time for a woman" vote.
    What does DeSantis do if Ivanka or Eric is running?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    edited August 2021
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't think the average American voter will care. Unless there is a massacre of US citizens in the withdrawal process - the Taliban seem content to let people go though.
    The USA is a parochial nation on stuff like this now.

I don’t think that’s true: ultimately America’s position in the world has been dented by this. And Americans do care about how they are seen by the world.

But these things can also be very short lived. From the disaster of Carter’s military mission in iran, to the fall of communism was less than the time between now and the Global Financial Crisis.
    Who is the Reagan figure you are anticipating to turn the tide?

Were I a moderate US Democrat, I would be urging everyone I knew to register Republican for 2024 to coalesce around a sane non-Trump nominee. Hard to see past Romney.
    Romney will be 77 at the next election!

After two septuagenarians in a row, maybe they might want to look at someone a little younger, who still has a good mind and doesn’t need an afternoon nap?
    I wouldn’t be surprised at all if 2024 produced a President none of us expected.

Obama came from nowhere. Trump came from nowhere. If Iowa hadn’t messed up its count, we might have had President Buttigieg.

I will continue to sell the favorites.
    Agreed. There’s a hundred Senators and fifty Governors, who could all come from nowhere.

Theoretically, it’s difficult to see past Kamala Harris for the Dem nomination, she’ll either be the incumbent VP or the President by 2024, and is unlikely to be challenged even if she underperforms between now and then.

The Republican side, on the other hand, really could be anyone. Presumably they will very quickly sort themselves in the primaries, to rally against Trump or whoever he stands beside.
    Should Trump win the nomination, it’s hard to see how he would lose against Biden or Harris. The Democrat hierarchy must surely realise this and be prepared to push someone else?

Robert has a far better understanding than me of how the machinations of primary politics unfold. But if Trump is a) not in court, b) has a pulse, everything we know about the man say he’ll run. And the way he still dominates the party and fundraising surely points to him being nominated, no matter how terrible a candidate he is on paper.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Sandpit

Agreed, we might have quite the field of non-runners, with both the RNC “Establishment” and Team Trump trying to get their favoured candidate selected early in the process. We could have only three or four left in the race after Iowa and NH.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

The Guardian sums it up well.

"The fall of Kabul: a 20-year mission collapses in a single day"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/15/the-fall-of-kabul-a-20-year-mission-collapses-in-a-single-day

It's a good headline, though given the 'mission' was never really achieved beyond the most initial of aims, with reports for years of Taliban strength, I dare say the collapse was not in a single day, despite the dramatic conclusion in the last weeks.
    Indeed, taliban attacks had been increasing since the start of 2020. The amount of territory nominally controlled by the afghan government has been slowly but steadily decreasing for the last few years.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

@Sandpit

Covid may well determine the GOP nominee. Wait two years then row in behind whichever Republican governor has the best Covid story (ie has not killed half the state but is different from the Biden line on masks and vaccines). If none then look for a senator or a Trumpling.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't think the average American voter will care. Unless there is a massacre of US citizens in the withdrawal process - the Taliban seem content to let people go though.

I don’t think that’s true: ultimately America’s position in the world has been dented by this. And Americans do care about how they are seen by the world.

But these things can also be very short lived. From the disaster of Carter’s military mission in iran, to the fall of communism was less than the time between now and the Global Financial Crisis.

Were I a moderate US Democrat, I would be urging everyone I knew to register Republican for 2024 to coalesce around a sane non-Trump nominee. Hard to see past Romney.

After two septuagenarians in a row, maybe they might want to look at someone a little younger, who still has a good mind and doesn’t need an afternoon nap?
    I wouldn’t be surprised at all if 2024 produced a President none of us expected.

Obama came from nowhere. Trump came from nowhere. If Iowa hadn’t messed up its count, we might have had President Buttigieg.

Agreed. There’s a hundred Senators and fifty Governors, who could all come from nowhere.

Theoretically, it’s difficult to see past Kamala Harris for the Dem nomination, she’ll either be the incumbent VP or the President by 2024, and is unlikely to be challenged even if she underperforms between now and then.

The Republican side, on the other hand, really could be anyone. Presumably they will very quickly sort themselves in the primaries, to rally against Trump or whoever he stands beside.
    Should Trump win the nomination, it’s hard to see how he would lose against Biden or Harris. The Democrat hierarchy must surely realise this and be prepared to push someone else?

Robert has a far better understanding than me of how the machinations of primary politics unfold. But if Trump is a) not in court, b) has a pulse, everything we know about the man say he’ll run. And the way he still dominates the party and fundraising surely points to him being nominated, no matter how terrible a candidate he is on paper.
    Disagree, I think almost any Republican beats Harris, except Trump.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,156
    Pulpstar said:

So long as the evacuation runs reasonably smoothly, which granted, is not a given. I don't believe this will be seen as a defining moment.

But, what a monumental waste of lives and capital over the last twenty years. This is as much Bush and Blair's legacy as it is Biden's error. Still, Biden was holding the parcel when the music stopped, so the whole 20 year fiasco is his problem.

One thing Trump got right was his assertion over the last four and a half years is that US intelligence services are shockingly embarrassing. It's all well and good the mini-Trumpsters on here bemoaning Biden taking summer siestas at Camp David whilst all this is going on, where were military intelligence and the CIA?
  • Options
    Just laid the Dems for the presidency @1.78 because that's way too short this far out.
  • Options
    I see the GOP are running on the twin platform of "Biden has Doomed the Afghan people" and "it is completely unacceptable to accept any Afghan refugees"
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,265

dixiedean said:

Yokes said:

It appears some of the gunfire at Kabul airport was US troops keeping the crowds of Afghans at bay.

Yes, the Taliban, leadership at least, seem to be quite determined to allow people to leave. I find this interesting.
    They've won. Massacres and executions before the only people who can prevent them have left makes no sense.
    And yet they do seem somewhat different from the 1990's taliban in that, so far. I wonder what has changed.
    Men with guns tend to be young. So many of the new lot will be those that the occupation recruited.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

@Sandpit

I think if he kills off a another 20k or So Floridians that should up his GOP approval numbers.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,971
    Alistair said:

I see the GOP are running on the twin platform of "Biden has Doomed the Afghan people" and "it is completely unacceptable to accept any Afghan refugees"

Biden problem was that Trump said he was going to remove all American troops, so it would have been as completely unacceptable for their to be American troop deaths.

Biden really couldn't win here, all options provided equally good means of attack.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    Alistair said:

Just laid the Dems for the presidency @1.78 because that's way too short this far out.

Slightly better than evens? Seems fair to me. Not that I want to tie money up for so long at these odds.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    sarissa said:

Charles said:

Pope Francis 'wants to hold Mass in Scotland' during COP26 summit in Glasgow

The report quotes a source saying the Pope would like to say a Mass for Scots.

“It would have to fit in with his address to the conference and his meetings with the bishops. There is some doubt about whether it can be fitted in, but the Pope says Mass every day and would like to say a Mass for the people of Scotland.“

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/pope-francis-wants-hold-mass-24763099.amp

Why is that news/controversial? I’m sure there will be some logistics in making it COVID compliant but that’s it
    Wait until Nicola asks him to remove incorrect references to God creating man and woman.
    He'd better watch it.

Mermaids will report him to Police Scotland for violent hate-speech.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

If Trump gets the nomination he loses again, against any Democrat, and he will get the nomination if he runs.

Biden and Johnson have made a mess out of leaving Afghanistan, particularly being caught flatfooted in the last months.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,900
    Defence Secretary Ben Wallace says they got 300 Brits out of Afghanistan out yesterday- and want to get another 700 people out over the next 36 / 48 hours. #bbcbreakfast
    https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1427157488340766723
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Slightly better than evens? Seems fair to me. Not that I want to tie money up for so long at these odds.
    Exceedingly a trading bet. The Dems were frequently odds against in 2020 pre election. There is no way they do not lengthen from here right now.
  • Options
    Defence Secretary Ben Wallace says he does "not believe" everyone the UK wants to get out of Afghanistan will get out in time as promised. "There will be some people left behind" #bbcbreakfast
    https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1427157860497203203
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

If Trump gets the nomination he loses again, against any Democrat, and he will get it if he runs.

Biden and Johnson have made a mess out of leaving Afghanistan, particularly being caught flatfooted in the last months.
    I really don't see this as a problem for Johnson whatsoever. I would like to, but I don't.

Raab taking his holiday at the same time the withdrawal from Afghanistan was pencilled in, should not be so fortunate.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,301
    eek said:

Alistair said:

Biden problem was that Trump said he was going to remove all American troops, so it would have been as completely unacceptable for their to be American troop deaths.

Biden really couldn't win here, all options provided equally good means of attack.
    The proposed Afghan withdrawal was the greatest trick Trump ever played.
  • Options
    MattW said:

sarissa said:

Charles said:

“It would have to fit in with his address to the conference and his meetings with the bishops. There is some doubt about whether it can be fitted in, but the Pope says Mass every day and would like to say a Mass for the people of Scotland.“

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/pope-francis-wants-hold-mass-24763099.amp

Why is that news/controversial? I’m sure there will be some logistics in making it COVID compliant but that’s it
    Wait until Nicola asks him to remove incorrect references to God creating man and woman.
    He'd better watch it.

Mermaids will report him to Police Scotland for violent hate-speech.
    Are you saying that Catholic Mass is illegal in Scotland?
  • Options

eek said:

Alistair said:

Of course, it only works as a trick if he knew he was a loser.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,627
    Varoufakis has competition for "worst take":

Whatever you think of the Taliban their seemingly imminent victory is a historic defeat of colonialism and imperialism. This should be the main narrative of media around the world, rather than the red herrings about women's rights etc that we are being sold.

https://twitter.com/RmSalih/status/1426823831981903873?s=20
  • Options
    Defence Secretary Ben Wallace lays the blame for the catastrophe happening in Afghanistan on the Americans: "It is of deep regret we have got to this position...I believe the Donald Trump deal got us to where we are today." #bbcbreakfast
    https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1427158563634417664
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Fascinating look into the behind the scenes debates with Biden in last few months:

"The president told his national security team, including Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken and his national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, that he was convinced that no matter what the United States did, Afghanistan was almost certainly headed into another civil war — one Washington could not prevent, but also, in his view, one it could not be drawn into."

"If the Afghan government could not hold off the Taliban now, aides said he asked, when would they be able to? None of the Pentagon officials could answer the question."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/14/us/afghanistan-biden.html
  • Options
    Taliban fighting US security in the terminal building sounds like the end of flights out.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

eek said:

Alistair said:

The state of the modern GOP is such that had Trump won again they would just have said this collapse was all lies on CNN that Kabul had fallen and the US had won a famous victory and it was just the loony left trying to undermine the brave US military etc etc. And also possible the fault of black people or mexicans somehow or other.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Foxy said:

Taliban fighting US security in the terminal building sounds like the end of flights out.
    I think the last commercial flight - a Turkish Airlines 777 is due to depart.
  • Options

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

If Trump gets the nomination he loses again, against any Democrat, and he will get it if he runs.

I really don't see this as a problem for Johnson whatsoever. I would like to, but I don't.

Raab taking his holiday at the same time the withdrawal from Afghanistan was pencilled in, should not be so fortunate.
    That last bit is harsh. Even senior ministers need a break. If covid has taught us nothing else it is that a lot of work can be done over the Internet these days.
  • Options

eek said:

Alistair said:

It has been said that Trump was persuaded not to withdraw from Afghanistan because it had been within living memory (at least the urban parts) a modern, secular state (as I posted here a couple of threads back).
  • Options

Foxy said:

I think the last commercial flight - a Turkish Airlines 777 has already taken off
    There’s a Turkish plane on FlightRadar that shows as still being in Kabul. Don’t want to imagine the discussions going on with the military, the airline, their insurers and the pilots, all trying to find a way to get that plane off the ground before the Taliban get to it.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,349
    edited August 2021

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

That last bit is harsh. Even senior ministers need a break. If covid has taught us nothing else it is that a lot of work can be done over the Internet these days.
    The word is that Raab was advised not to head for the beach while Afghanistan approached boiling point.

Hmm. Raab goes. Rishi to Foreign Office. End of challenges to Boris?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

eek said:

Alistair said:

If Trump had won and this chaos happened on his watch I suspect the spin would have been: We gave them all the equipment needed to defend themselves; not my fault these losers screwed up. Fox News and the base would have lapped it up. Job done.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

The word is that Raab was advised not to head for the beach while Afghanistan approached boiling point.

Hmm. Raab goes. Rishi to Foreign Office. End of challenges to Boris?
    He could have also been advised the exact opposite, that it doesn't really matter where he is in the grand scheme of things.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm not sure. If things continue as they are - not just on Afghanistan but on the immigration crisis, parent backlash against CRT in swing states and the rise in inflation - Trump's line will be "I told you this is what would happen." I'm not sure how Biden or Harris counteract this
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    I seem to have finally come across someone at work who sends emails in groups of 3, containing a seemingly random spew of consciousness.

Brilliant start to the week!
  • Options

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

So they do. The point is Dominic, from what I can gather was warned by his big boss, to delay his holibobs.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

So they do. The point is Dominic, from what I can gather was warned by his big boss, to delay his holibobs.
    Was it stated where the advise came from?
  • Options

Foxy said:

eek said:

Alistair said:

The state of the modern GOP is such that had Trump won again they would just have said this collapse was all lies on CNN that Kabul had fallen and the US had won a famous victory and it was just the loony left trying to undermine the brave US military etc etc. And also possible the fault of black people or mexicans somehow or other.
    Not Mexicans (or Hispanics). They are increasingly voting for the GOP....:)
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited August 2021
    Sandpit said:

Well the flights are starting. One US State department plane just took off, and surprisingly there looks like there might be a Turkish Airlines 777 taxiing for departure to Istanbul.

Less surprising, if you think the Turks may be playing some sort of key role here.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Fascinating look into the behind the scenes debates with Biden in last few months:

"The president told his national security team, including Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken and his national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, that he was convinced that no matter what the United States did, Afghanistan was almost certainly headed into another civil war — one Washington could not prevent, but also, in his view, one it could not be drawn into."

"If the Afghan government could not hold off the Taliban now, aides said he asked, when would they be able to? None of the Pentagon officials could answer the question."

Sounds pretty clear and hard headed to me, no matter how many (including people like DavidL on here) are determined to continue to believe that Biden has a brain full of mush and struggles to tie his shoe laces.
  • Options
    Statement from Kabul Airport: Airport is now closed.

Chaos at the airport with thousands of Afghans desperately trying to leave.

The airport is currently controlled by the Americans and their focus is to evacuate citizens and diplomatic staff

https://twitter.com/BBCYaldaHakim/status/1427162893406068739?s=20
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,367

eek said:

Alistair said:

It has been said that Trump was persuaded not to withdraw from Afghanistan because it had been within living memory (at least the urban parts) a modern, secular state (as I posted here a couple of threads back).
    Quite a few "Islamic" countries were like that, in the 60s and 70s - quite cosmopolitan in parts of the capital. Untouched outside that....

The big change was the Islamic revival. During the Cold War, it was all about variations on "socialism" - secular state, Progress etc. Think Atatürk. At the end of the Cold War, the support from the USSR went away and the Islamic Revival began - on the basis of the total failure of the secular dictatorships to deliver progress and anything like decent government.

In Pakistan, there was the added feature of the intelligence services deliberately "weaponising" the more funky style of Islam for potential use against India. The Mumbai attacks were an accidental weapon release, really.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Was it stated where the advise came from?
    Whoever the advice comes from, Boris is perfectly entitled to consider it unwise that Raab ignored it, thus leaving Boris to deal with the unfolding crisis.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    alex_ said:

Sounds pretty clear and hard headed to me, no matter how many (including people like DavidL on here) are determined to continue to believe that Biden has a brain full of mush and struggles to tie his shoe laces.
    That's largely been Republican spin so far. Trump himself has at times appeared a bit bemused that this hasn't turned out to be the case. As with the election, he's got nearer to a state of mental health where he believes everything he says must be true, which I think is connected to his signs of bemusement on the topic.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

I think the last commercial flight - a Turkish Airlines 777 has already taken off
    There’s a Turkish plane on FlightRadar that shows as still being in Kabul. Don’t want to imagine the discussions going on with the military, the airline, their insurers and the pilots, all trying to find a way to get that plane off the ground before the Taliban get to it.
    Yes - after I posted a report I'd seen on Twitter I double checked FlightRadar - still on the ground.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited August 2021
    Charles said:

Well, it’s not controversial (does absolutely everything we discuss on here have to be controversial?), but it is most certainly news! Papal visits are extremely rare and have historically been extremely popular events.

There have only ever been two papal visits to Scotland:

5th century: conversion of Scotland to Christianity begins
    1982 papal visit
    2010 papal visit
    2021 papal visit

So, yes Charles, this is news! (Average is about one visit per 500 years.)

The 1982 visit is imprinted on my childhood memory. It was immense.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

If the advice was that the 300,000 strong US trained and equipped army was helpless against 90,000 taliban, the answer should be: after we have rethought our training and equiping strategy, and taken another five years to do it fucking properly. Never seen a more spineless argument.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm not sure. If things continue as they are - not just on Afghanistan but on the immigration crisis, parent backlash against CRT in swing states and the rise in inflation - Trump's line will be "I told you this is what would happen." I'm not sure how Biden or Harris counteract this
    Rise in inflation? Americans have fixed interest mortgages.

A modest rise in inflation is manna from Heaven for most Americans.

Right now, the US is booming. It may or may not continue to boom, and it may also be a little generous to attribute that success to Biden.

But right now, unemployment is falling and wages rising.

• Options
    alex_ said:

Then what we're seeing is a catastrophic failure to plan for such an outcome - that buck sits on Biden's desk, not Trump's (even if Trump's dud deal is at the root of this).
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

alex_ said:

That's largely been Republican spin so far. Trump himself has appeared a bit bemused at times that this prediction hasn't appeared to be the case.
    And, from those who should know better, the consequences of a stutter he has had his entire life.
  • Options
    To be fair to Raab him being on holiday wouldn't have made a difference. The west is absolutely impotent here.
  • Options

To be fair to Raab him being on holiday wouldn't have made a difference. The west is absolutely impotent here.

Not really the point. If I missed my mother's funeral to attend a football match that wouldn't make a difference either. Optics, innit.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,367
    IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

If the advice was that the 300,000 strong US trained and equipped army was helpless against 90,000 taliban, the answer should be: after we have rethought our training and equiping strategy, and taken another five years to do it fucking properly. Never seen a more spineless argument.
    The advice could well have been that no matter what you put in, a secular(ish) government in Afghanistan will not provide the ideological structure that people will actually die in a ditch to defend.

{Vladimiro Lenin Ilich Montesinos Torres to the red courtesy phone, please}
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    Reports this morning of Al Qaeda and IS prisoners being released from jails across Afghanistan.

They will all be heading to the West to set up terrorist cells as the Biden and Harris disaster continues
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Yes - after I posted a report I'd seen on Twitter I double checked FlightRadar - still on the ground.
    I’m not too sure they’re going to get it out now, could be in for a long wait. Hopefully they have a hangar big enough to hide it!

One small but unknown plane just landed, turned around and took off again. Probably US mil or CIA.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Not really the point. If I missed my mother's funeral to attend a football match that wouldn't make a difference either. Optics, innit.
    Of course! Though knowing Clown he will probably reward Raab with a promotion. Thanks to Raab taking one for the team everyone is pointing the finger at him and not at ex Foreign Secretary and current Prime Minister Coco the Clown. Like Williamson having absolute morons in the cabinet is a needed distraction from the pillock in chief.
  • Options

Charles said:

Well, it’s not controversial (does absolutely everything we discuss on here have to be controversial?), but it is most certainly news! Papal visits are extremely rare and have historically been extremely popular events.

1982 papal visit
    2010 papal visit
    2021 papal visit

Percentage wise there are more Catholics in Scotland than England, 16% of the population to 10%, so it makes sense for the Pope to go. Scotland is the second most Catholic part of the British isles after Ireland.

Of course the last Queen of Scotland, Mary Queen of Scots was a Catholic still even when her cousin Elizabeth 1st was a Protestant Queen of England
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

The advice could well have been that no matter what you put in, a secular(ish) government in Afghanistan will not provide the ideological structure that people will actually die in a ditch to defend.

Lots of people will go to great lengths to avoid being stoned, decapitated and hanged, as a glance at Kabul airport shows. If secular government doesn't fly find a slightly nicer kinda religious bod to run the place. You can't just sit on your arse and write off 20 years and 5,000 lives and $100bn and say it was all too difficult, all along.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Reports this morning of Al Qaeda and IS prisoners being released from jails across Afghanistan.

They will all be heading to the West to set up terrorist cells as the Biden and Harris disaster continues

How many did Trump release?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Yes clever strategic thinker Biden. It was of course in his hard headed plan to have thousands of people stranded on a runway, some of us are just too silly to understand his 4D chess game plan.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

None as the jails were still in Afghan government hands when he left office.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,581

The original decision to pull out of Afghanistan wasn't an example of the West being impotent, it was a deliberate decision.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

5000, but they were clearly good Trump supporting Jihadis that HYUFD approves of.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Harris' latest approval rating has her on just 46%, even lower than the 47% Trump got in 2020.

Never mind winning the election, Trump could even win the popular vote against Harris, she is Hillary 2 in personality but without Hillary's centrist politics
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Incorrect. The correct answer is 5,000. You’re welcome.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,988

Charles said:

1982 papal visit
    2010 papal visit
    2021 papal visit

Making an average like that is faintly ridiculous, given that papal travel outside Rome, yet alone Italy, was exceptionally rare before the last century.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_travel
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    So much support for the Taliban from Pakistan on twitter. If any nation's going to have any crucial role, or be able to manage the regime's external relations to any significant extent, it's this one.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

Which is fine as far as advice goes, but wouldn't you then have a much longer withdrawal period which allows for equipment (such as Blackhawks) to be flown out. If the assumption is that the Taliban is going to take the country then don't leave them any defence equipment to take with it.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

HYUFD said:

5000, but they were clearly good Trump supporting Jihadis that HYUFD approves of.
    The Afghan government released some Taliban prisoners under Trump, these are not Taliban prisoners being released but hardcore Al Qaeda and IS jihadis
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Hmm. I'm a bit sceptical about that. Not sure the Taliban would calculate that it's in their interest to have ISIS running loose in the region.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    https://www.flightradar24.com/TVR750/28caaaeb

Baku to Delhi cargo flight. Thought about going over Afghanistan and then thought better of it!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Harris' latest approval rating has her on just 46%, even lower than the 47% Trump got in 2020.

Never mind winning the election, Trump could even win the popular vote against Harris, she is Hillary 2 in personality but without Hillary's centrist politics
    Your regular reminder that you were adamant Trump was going to be handsomely reelected.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Quick question for those who believe Harris would beat Trump. Why? She is unpopular, awkward, doesn't have much in the way of achievements and, as HYFUD says, Hillary Mark 2 without the good bits.

Just because she is not Donald Trump doesn't guarantee victory.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

All you are doing is convincing me I am right.
  • Options
    Since the end of the Cold War, I would argue there have been three defining humiliations for Western power. 9/11, the banking crisis, and the fall of Kabul.

The trouble with the last of these three, is that it invites further impactful humiliations of even greater severity. Were I living in Taiwan, this morning I’d be making plans to wind up my financials affairs and get out of dodge.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Wrong. None of them were hardcore Jihadis heading for western terrorist cells as these will be
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

From what I've seen over the weekend a massive issue is the level of corruption across Afghan government so that a lot of the money spent on troops and equipment has never made it. There are reports that front line police and soldiers don't even get paid on a regular basis and so on.

• Options
    moonshine said:

Since the end of the Cold War, I would argue there have been three defining humiliations for Western power. 9/11, the banking crisis, and the fall of Kabul.

The trouble with the last of these three, is that it invites further impactful humiliations of even greater severity. Were I living in Taiwan, this morning I’d be making plans to wind up my financials affairs and get out of dodge.

Or else get nuclear weapons
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Wrong. None of them were hardcore Jihadis heading for western terrorist cells as these will be
    How do you know?
  • Options
    Not Afghanistan, but I have come back to work this morning with an email from our logistics company with another price rise. They have now given their drivers a total of 25.5% pay rise since April, are still losing drivers, there are not enough drivers in the South West at any price.

At some point the companies will realise that pay rises aren't the solution to not enough drivers as the "winner" will end up with a wage bill +50% AND a shortage of drivers. The "market solution" proposed by Philip doesn't exist.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

You also thought Hillary would win in 2016
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

From Guantanamo?
  • Options
    edited August 2021

HYUFD said:

Hmm. I'm a bit sceptical about that. Not sure the Taliban would calculate that it's in their interest to have ISIS running loose in the region.
    They hate IS, in the typical way of splits between fanatics, but also, from what I've read today, in the more hopeful possibility that some of the current taliban leadership think they were too cruel, leading to their defeat. Let's hope that wing of the Taliban prevails over the more aggressive one.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

From Guantanamo?
    From Afghani prisons as part of his “peace deal” with the Taliban. A deal that the Afghan Government was not permitted to be involved in.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Not Afghanistan, but I have come back to work this morning with an email from our logistics company with another price rise. They have now given their drivers a total of 25.5% pay rise since April, are still losing drivers, there are not enough drivers in the South West at any price.

At some point the companies will realise that pay rises aren't the solution to not enough drivers as the "winner" will end up with a wage bill +50% AND a shortage of drivers. The "market solution" proposed by Philip doesn't exist.

It absolutely exists, if truck driver wages go up to £80k per year there will be a queue of people who want to do it.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

https://www.flightradar24.com/TVR750/28caaaeb

Baku to Delhi cargo flight. Thought about going over Afghanistan and then thought better of it!

Flightradar24 @flightradar24
    #AI126 changed course and exited Afghanistan airspace shortly after entering. https://flightradar24.com/AIC126/28cba788

#TVR750 now changing course as well. https://flightradar24.com/TVR750/28caaaeb

UNCONFIRMED Notam from OAKX: Afghanistan airspace available, but uncontrolled by ATC.

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1427147599522435075?s=20
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Your regular reminder that you were adamant Trump was going to be handsomely reelected.
    Wrong, I always said Biden would win the popular vote, I just said the EC was too close to call.

In the end the EC result was not decided for days
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

You also thought Hillary would win in 2016
    You thought Trump would win in 2020
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,553
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Obama came from nowhere. Trump came from nowhere. If Iowa hadn’t messed up its count, we might have had President Buttigieg....
    We might still.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Afghan government released some Taliban prisoners under Trump, these are not Taliban prisoners being released but hardcore Al Qaeda and IS jihadis
    So I was correct, they were sort of, like 5000 Afghani Dukes of Hazzard, "just good ole Taliban boys, never meaning no harm".
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Rise in inflation? Americans have fixed interest mortgages.

A modest rise in inflation is manna from Heaven for most Americans.

Right now, the US is booming. It may or may not continue to boom, and it may also be a little generous to attribute that success to Biden.

But right now, unemployment is falling and wages rising.

Last inflation figures were 5.4% and that is before the price increases for a whole range of everyday goods - which has been widely flagged by companies in their results - comes in next month.

Yes, inflation is great if you have a mortgage but what matters more if you don't - and therefore more likely to be at the bottom end of society - is the price of your everyday goods.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Wrong, I always said Biden would win the popular vote, I just said the EC was too close to call.

In the end the EC result was not decided for days
    It wasn’t too close to call whatsoever though was it? Have some humility.
This discussion has been closed.